Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, UYI said:

How WEIRD though that Joan Fontaine was the answer to one of the clues--her sister, Olivia de Havilland, died the day after Regis! 

Really?!?! Didn't know that. Life's strange and weird coincidences. Twice in one day.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, UYI said:

How WEIRD though that Joan Fontaine was the answer to one of the clues--her sister, Olivia de Havilland, died the day after Regis! 

Even weirder for me, when I was reading one of the de Havilland tributes I asked myself why they hadn't listed Rebecca, until it hit me that it was her sister in that movie, so I knew the answer instantly because I had just had it in my head.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

just want to say that I despise my local ABC affiliate in West Palm Beach. They always start Jeopardy! about a minute early (wall clock time) so when you want to record Jeopardy! you've got to DVR Wheel of Fortune at 7 and then Jeopardy at 7:30

Can't you set your DVR to start recording 1 minute or 5 minutes early? I can on mine.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Heh, Women Playwrights.  I don't suppose they would have accepted, "Who was the woman who wrote Crimes Of The Heart?"  I just could not think of her name.  I never would have come up with either of the other two -- or their plays.  

I was thinking Paula Vogel for “How I Learned to Drive” but wasn’t sure if that was from the 80s or 90s. (Turns out she won in 1998.)

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Warning, unpopular opinion ahead -- I've never been a fan of Regis, and this is why.  I am (and was back in the day) thrilled that Carol Burnett won.

I never cared for him either, but this episode changed my mind. I enjoyed him a lot. Even more than Carol, and I have always loved Carol.

4 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I just loved how much fun Regis & Alex were having teasing each other....you could tell Alex was getting a kick out of Regis.  That was a fun episode to watch, Carol Burnett was fun too.

I really loved how much fun they were having. I don't think I have ever seen Alex enjoying himself so much ever.

• Love 4

Okay so I teared up a little when Regis was introduced.

Two hosts on the radio station I listen to had interviewed Regis when he visited Chicago in various years, and the interviews had been playing on the radio. They were so fun and funny. Both said Regis was the same before, during and after the interviews, exactly as he was on Jeopardy. He interacted with these radio guys the same as he did with Trebek, and they enjoyed him as much as Alex did. Yeah, I teared up okay, I sure did.

It's been a while since I've done TSs, but I got clams, Alabama, Vogue and Erik the Red. There was another TS that I not get correct, even when I said it out loud to my teevee. So of course that one is gone from memory.

I did not know Rasputin had a real name. I guessed Dracula. Go ahead and laugh.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did not know Rasputin had a real name. I guessed Dracula. Go ahead and laugh.

There! I laughed!😁

If Dracula had come to mind I might have said it too.  I was pretty sure it was that awful monk who had Empress Alexandra under his thumb but, for the life of me, I could not remember his name. And usually I can remember it.

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Did I mishear the Elizabeth Taylor clue? It didn’t say that A Place in the Sun was her first movie did they? 

I'm not sure anyone answered this but the question was something like "she made her first movie with Montgomery Clift, A Place in the Sun, while she was still a teenager."

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never cared for him either, but this episode changed my mind. I enjoyed him a lot. Even more than Carol, and I have always loved Carol.

I liked him as host on America's Got Talent, too. (Though my favorite AGT host, oddly enough, might be Jerry Springer.)

Who else was watching for the ear tug when Carol was introduced?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Who else was watching for the ear tug when Carol was introduced?

I was, and she managed to sneak one in - she made it look like she was doing something with her earring or something, but it was definitely a subtle tug.

• Love 2

I enjoyed tonight's game tremendously!  They all came to play, but they had fun, too.  HMS Budweiser, indeed, Harry and Nathan.  Of all the beer in the world, at least pick a good one!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Who else guesses FJ from the category, before the clue is revealed?  Today I said the Edmund Fitzgerald, but with the clue I got it correct.

Presumably everyone except Harry and Nathan knows that people in the 1600s (and earlier and later) drank beer because it was safer to drink than water.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Wow...was 2001 really that long ago? Both Harry, Jodie, and Nathan looks so young. Jodie had to been doing Panic Room around this time.

I was 12 in 2001! 

Yes, Panic Room was right around this time. 

Very happy that Jodie got to fulfill her childhood dream of competing on this show. 

Part of me will always be a tiny bit biased against the 1997-2001 theme because I love the 1992-1997 theme so much (which is the 1984-1992 theme with BONGOS!)--I'll still listen to it, I guess I am just kind of floored how many people prefer it to the first two (well, three, season 8 in 1991-1992 had the original version in a lower key), but I DID love seeing the Sushi Bar set again. 

Edited by UYI
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Driad said:

Presumably everyone except Harry and Nathan knows that people in the 1600s (and earlier and later) drank beer because it was safer to drink than water.

18 minutes ago, Driad said:

Who else guesses FJ from the category, before the clue is revealed?  Today I said the Edmund Fitzgerald, but with the clue I got it correct.

I don't guess before the clue is shown, but tonight I said Cutty Sark. Then got it correct after thinking, "Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria ... no, Mayflower."

My money is on both Nathan and Harry knowing beer was the safe beverage while water was not back then. That's pretty common knowledge passed on in high-school history classes,  They just didn't remember the Mayflower, but both answering Budweiser was pretty funny.

I am a fan of Jodie's, and Nathan is a favorite favorite of mine. I've never seen the appeal of Harry until this show. Wow, now I'm a BIG fan. So, thanks show.

More TSs: Father's Day (LOL at Don't Impeach Me Day), Dr. Livingston, Philadelphia, Walden (Jodie surprised me not getting that one) and Ft. Worth.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I laughed at Harry's "I don't even know pop music!" Apparently ya' do.

33 minutes ago, Driad said:

lol...I do that, too. I have a Nobel Prize winner in my extended family (by marriage; my aunt's late ex-husband), so when it's a relevant category I always say his name. One day I'm gonna be right. Right?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Yes, sometimes.  When the category was Women Playwrights (?), I immediately  said Lillian Hellman.  Then when the clue specified the years (1980s), I couldn’t come up with the correct name.

We’re having thunderstorms, so missed portions of tonight’s show.  I like all three of them, Foster, Lane, and Connick, but was happy Foster won!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Driad said:

I listed all the famous ships that came to mind before the clue was revealed. Mayflower wasn't one of them, but I saw 1620 and got it immediately.

I learned beer was safer than water from a family story. The town my European mother was from was under siege way back in the 1100s or so, and surrendered when they ran out of beer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Charles was funny with his comment that he wasn't buzzing in unless he really knew the answer.

Sorry that Martha won based on her inability to speak even one complete sentence in the form of a question. If she had cut out all the blah blah blah from each answer, maybe those last clues would have gotten revealed.

Lots of TSs. I got Red Baron (it's a pizza brand too!), both zoo TSs of Illinois and Omaha (because I love me all zoos), Shirley MacLaine, Peter Lawford, Stephen Hawking and Buffalo Bill. If only I were famous, I could get on one of these Celebrity Jeopardy editions and do well.

For FJ I said South Pacific and was so sure I was correct given JFK's Navy experience. Never gave Camelot a thought. But I did laugh at Charles' Cats answer, especially since in present day that movie is getting hot-coal raked mercilessly. So it was a timely/not timely good/wrong answer.

In the shallow end of the pool, I haven't been able to watch any CBS shows since TV went digital, causing that network to be no longer available, so haven't seen Survivor for a decade plus. I had forgotten how cute Jeff Probst is, and how even better he looks on HDTV. Nice plus to today's episode.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I'm confused about where to post? I also posted this in the Celebrity Jeopardy thread because I saw people were posting there too.

I've been to Brookfield Zoo twice this month. Sad to say that Baboon Island is no more

(edited)
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Awww, I love Charles Barkley. Philly in da house!!

Martha was annoying. Had she ever seen the show?

She was totally annoying. We wondered if it was before or after her prison time. Not because she was annoying, just because she's Martha (felon) Stewart. (I may have an attitude about her...)

11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And Snoopy’s nemesis!

This is how I remember it: The Bloody Red Baron of Germany I loved this song as a kid

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

I was hoping for a better performance from my fellow Auburn Tiger.

Alas.

Oh no, Charles Barkley's CJ! performance is INFAMOUS (...and infamously funny). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

Oh no, Charles Barkley's CJ! performance is INFAMOUS (...and infamously funny). 

I know! It became one of those things that, even though I knew exactly how it was going to turn out, I kept watching and thinking the outcome might change. LOL 😃

• LOL 4

Loved when Trebek asked Eric Idle why did Monty Python's Flying Circus become so popular, and he replied because it's funny. I was a huge Python fan, watched it every week, and love everything each cast member has done since.

Wayne Brady is so handsome, I could stare at him all day. Turns out he's smart, too.

China Beach was my fav show back in that day.

Sad that Wayne didn't bet more in FJ, but I thought Eric's charity was the best one, and the one that would get full benefit of the money without most of it going to PR people, advertising and promotional materials and CEOs and such. So I'm glad he won.

Only TS today was shilling. I once had a dog I named Five Shillings. His mom was "Crown" Jewel. (Five shillings is a crown.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Only TS today was shilling. I once had a dog I named Five Shillings. His mom was "Crown" Jewel. (Five shillings is a crown.)

I laughed when the Brit didn't get the British currency question. I love Eric Idle, though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I laughed when the Brit didn't get the British currency question. I love Eric Idle, though.

Same here -- both the laughing and the love of Eric Idle (well, really, all the Pythons).

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Have the questions gotten harder or have I gotten dumber?

The questions are obviously more difficult because I know for a fact you have not gotten dumber.

CHUCK MCGILL! I mean Michael McKean was a treat to watch tonight. Cheech Marin and Jane Curtin did well too, but I appreciated McKean more than I did 10 years ago, after watching him on Better Call Saul. You could really see where Chuck's intelligence and dignity came from.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 6

I feel like the show rerunning the Million Dollar Masters tournament these next two weeks is probably a way to throw a bone to Brad Rutter (which is kind of weird to say about the richest game show contestant/winner in history, but here we are), after things just DID NOT go his way during the GOAT tournament back in January, and show people JUST. HOW. GOOD. a player he is when he's on. Which is good for me--he's my Jeopardy! bae! <3

And of course, it will be great to see all those other great pre-Ken/James Jeopardy! champions, too. :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

I love all three of Fridays contestants. Love. I would have been happy with any of them winning, although I was pleased Michael got to keep his Undefeated title. Not many TSs, the only one I got was Friar Tuck. I guess the missed DD would be a SS (Single Stumper) instead of a TS. Got that one since my cell previously was via Sprint.

I said Sylvania for FJ which, if you think about it, is the best answer ever ... if only there were such a country.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

Kim Philby! I’ve been watching a lot of tv about the Cambridge 5 lately.  Frank was close since John LeCarre wrote about Philby in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. 

I had -just- watched a documentary on Philby, I knew it was him, I knew the Kipling nickname started with K and was 3 letters long and my brain -still- froze up until the last possible second when I blurted out the name!

7 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I had -just- watched a documentary on Philby, I knew it was him, I knew the Kipling nickname started with K and was 3 letters long and my brain -still- froze up until the last possible second when I blurted out the name!

I'll admit that I don't think I've heard of Kim Philby. So, I said, Kim?  Riki-tiki-tavi?  Baloo?  Mowgli?  I give up.

• LOL 2