Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew I was sunk for FJ as soon as I saw the category.  And I was right about that!  I picked the most obscure president I could think of -- Millard Fillmore.  I did a report on him once upon a time, and all I even remember about him is that he was the 13th President.  

But I did get a lot of the TS, including fence, crochet, Moonstruck, Man On The Moon, Breathing Lessons and Accidental Tourist, Johnny Carson, and Caribbean.  I felt old (and sad!) that none of them knew Johnny.  Colombian led me to Caribbean in that clue.

Final Jeopardy was a snap my nephew and his wife graduated from Franklin Pierce College in New Hampshire

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Is it wrong that I said (mentally) "Who is [yum] Idris Elba?"

Dunno, seems to me that was very, very right. 😉

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of Hungary wrong.  I knew Magyar, I just couldn't think of it.

I thought of it, unfortunately I say Maygar instead.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got a big chuckle out of that statue being called "Sir, you forgot your scarf!"

Me too, so much so that it drove the fairly simple answer out of my skull.

I had no idea for FJ, but pre-Civil War president are my husband's area of expertise, so he was able to sit there and feel smug.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew I was sunk for FJ as soon as I saw the category.  And I was right about that!  I picked the most obscure president I could think of -- Millard Fillmore.

Ditto. 

But I'm not surprised it was wrong. He preceded Franklin Pierce so we were at least close in time range.  Still wrong, though🙂

I said Russian Army instead of Red Army - would I have been right or wrong?

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I said Russian Army instead of Red Army - would I have been right or wrong?

Me, too.  I counted myself as wrong, because I don't know if it's the same or not.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.  I counted myself as wrong, because I don't know if it's the same or not.

I wondered too, I said Russian army too. I'm guessing that it wouldn't count, as the red army was the Soviet Union army. 

But you never know how they will rule.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Women Artists".  Sigh.

And then the first answer was just "What is still life?" Ugh.

The 40-hour work week wouldn't be so bad if a week were 8,760 hours. 🤦‍♀️

I thought of the song about the Presidents by the Animaniacs. (To the tune of William Tell Overture)

"Eighteen Fifty, really nifty, Millard Fillmore's in. Young and fierce was Franklin Pierce, the man without a chin..."

...and I said Fillmore.

• LOL 2

Insta-guess FJ tonight for me.  Darwin immediately came to mind, but it really was a guess.  But I couldn't think of anyone else for that time, so I went with it.  Good for me!

Middle guy was pissing me off with his slow picking, and then the champ started that, too, trying to run out the clock, I think, to preserve his lead.  I'd prefer they clear the board, frankly.

I can't believe they missed Marie Kondo!  And it makes me sad that they missed The Avengers.  I got those along with Ireland, and Got To Get You Into My Life.

• Love 4

I didn't get FJ.  I was like who discovered penicillin?  Salk?  No, that's not right.  Fleming?  That's my answer.  Was not thinking about evolution at all with that.

I got the tS of Soviet union.

I got the entire categories of Civil War, seasons, and food of the gods.  I got the entire partial category of classic rock wrong.

• Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe they missed Marie Kondo!

That's a name that has never appeared in my universe and will disappear immediately after I hit SEND for this post. I have not a clue who she is, or even if she is a real person. Or even if she's a she. Long story short: Believe it.

No comments that Hawkeye's name on M.A.S.H. is Benjamin Franklin Pierce?

The 1881 best seller “The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Actions of Worms” is now available at Amazon.com. It's required reading.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3

I can do without lighthearted clues about Confederate generals.

The Ireland TS was a stunner.  I was a little surprised by the Marie Kondo and Soviet Union (rather hard to deport someone to Israel in 1919, Steve) TS, but after two games in a row with a lot of TS, this was a refreshing change. 

I knew (well, at least correctly guessed) everything in the first round other than when Ash Wednesday is - I guessed spring - and one of the generals.  In DJ, I was so close to running it, but then I missed all three of the classic rock clues at the end!  That's normally a pretty good category for me, but those happened to be about three bands I'm not into.

At first I stared blankly at the screen when the FJ clue was revealed, but then it hit me.

• Love 3

I should have concentrated on the time period rather than trying to come up with a vegetation guy.

I got Marie Kondo, USSR, The Avengers, and Got To Get You Into My Life. I love both the Beatles version and EW&F version.

Steve sure reminded me strongly of someone.

(edited)

I wasn't surprised at the Avengers miss, it's pretty old. I first saw it on German TV (military brat). The translation of the title  in German was, as I recall "With Umbrella, Charm, and Bowler Hat."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I wasn't surprised at the Avengers miss, it's pretty old. I first saw it on German TV (military brat). The translation of the title  in German was, as I recall "With Umbrella, Charm, and Bowler Hat."

Even in its heyday, it was pretty obscure (at least in the U.S.).  It wasn't very successful when it was first shown on American network TV.  The violence caused ABC to air it fairly late at night.  Since then, it's mostly been shown on various cable networks, and you kind of have to hunt for it if you want to see it.  I know that I first ran across it in college, where it was this weird British thing that only a few people seemed to know about.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

it was this weird British thing that only a few people seemed to know about.

It was one of my favorite shows, I watched it every week. I don't remember any violence though, just Emma Peel's outfits (slinky!) and John Steed's bowler and bumbershoot.

• Love 3

Darwin had a large collection of (IIRC) brachiopods.  Once one of his children visited a friend's home for the first time, looked around, and asked, "Where does your father keep his brachiopods?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

TS (some of which I just can't believe no one got): Mork & Mindy, Hawaii Five-0, Joy Luck Club, St. Elmo (missed DD), Boomerang, Sean Penn, Raphael (which I admit I got from Supernatural (knowing that there are only 4 archangels and it sure wasn't Lucifer)), and Koko (LOL at the "blamed someone else"). Almost got "Tilda Swinton", but I said "Swinson" instead. "Walhberg" needed a BMS (could have been Donnie). For FJ I said "Rasputin", which was better than the "nothing" 2 of the contestants had. Even my mother was going to say "Marat", but she couldn't think of his name. All she could think of was "the guy in the bathtub", so she switched to Julius Caesar, thinking it was wrong because it was so early.

• Love 6
(edited)

WTF with the betting?  Second place girl lost $1000 by betting everything!  Why???  It was a runaway, she was guaranteed second place if she had bet nothing!" And middle girl shouldn't have bet anything either, but it worked out for her, I guess.

That said, I had no idea for FJ.  I just couldn't figure out why 23 puncture marks was significant.  Makes sense, though, after Alex explained it.

Too many TS!  I got Joy Luck Club, Thanatos, Big Bang Theory, Mork & Mindy, Hawaii 5-0, purl, boomerang (boo, meringue!), antelope, Tilda Swinton, and Sean Penn.  I think the only one that surprised me, and only a little, was Big Bang Theory.

ETA: Was Koko a TS?  I got that one, too.  I am simultaneously watching the tribute to John Prine.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
(edited)

I got FJ.  At first I said Peter, because punctures brought me to crucifixion, but realized nobody would have done an autopsy on him, so I switched to Julius Caesar at the last minute.

I got the TS of Hawaii 5-0, The Joy Luck Club, thanes, Thanatos, the Big Bang Theory, Mork and Mindy, purling, fire place, boo meringue, tumbrel (sp?), Elmo, and Raphael.

I got the entire categories of than words, TV catch phrases, saints (which is weird because I'm not Catholic) and the partial category of speak louder.

I felt like a genius tonight.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Being unaware of when these dudes actually lived, I thought of worms = fishing and went with perennial favorite Izaak Walton.

You mentioned the evil one!! 

I admit - my first thought was Rachett/Cassetti but then remembered that he’s fictional and then went to the other guy who got stabbed a lot - Julius Caesar. 

• LOL 1
25 minutes ago, illdoc said:

For FJ I said "Rasputin", which was better than the "nothing" 2 of the contestants had.

Have you ever read an account of how Rasputin died.  It was totally crazy!

• Love 1

Rebuke from a native West Virginian: 

The Blue Ridge Mountains just barely touch the state of West Virginia, at the easternmost point of the state, near Harper's Ferry.  

Lost River is about 80 miles away, to the southwest.

Bad correction, Jeopardy writers!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Rebuke from a native West Virginian: 

The Blue Ridge Mountains just barely touch the state of West Virginia, at the easternmost point of the state, near Harper's Ferry.  

Lost River is about 80 miles away, to the southwest.

Bad correction, Jeopardy writers!

I will echo that bad correction from a Virginian who lives a stone's throw from the Blue Ridge Parkway!

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  At first I said Peter, because punctures brought me to crucifixion, but realized nobody would have done an autopsy on him, so I switched to Julius Caesar at the last minute.

I got the TS of Hawaii 5-0, The Joy Luck Club, thanes, Thanatos, the Big Bang Theory, Mork and Mindy, purling, fire place, boo meringue, tumbrel (sp?), Elmo, and Raphael.

I got the entire categories of than words, TV catch phrases, saints (which is weird because I'm not Catholic) and the partial category of speak louder.

I am Catholic & do not know St. Elmo 🙂 And I too said St. Peter for puncture marks because of his death by Crucifixion.

(edited)
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Raphael (which I admit I got from Supernatural (knowing that there are only 4 archangels and it sure wasn't Lucifer)), 

I'm not quite sure how to break this to you, but Supernatural lied to you.  There are 4 archangels, but Lucifer isn't one of them.  The fourth is Uriel, who is the Angel of Death.  He gets left out a lot, since people have a weird prejudice...  But I would take the win and leave the Winchesters to their confusion.  🙂

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1
(edited)

There were so many TSs today, it was staggering. I typically just say the TS to the tv. Today I started out saying the TS, then I started saying the TS and adding "Jesus Christ." I ended the episode by SHOUTING the TS and JESUS CHRIST! Good thing my neighbors are miles away, but I still suspect lightning will strike me for shouting blasphemy. But this show ... my god.

I said Rasputin for FJ. Even after the reveal, I was satisfied that my wrong answer was a very good one.

12 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am Catholic & do not know St. Elmo

I knew it because of St. Elmo's Fire. Look it up.

Edited by saber5055
Heaven forbid, extra spaceband removal.
  • Love 4

I just read the archive, since I'm going to be watching Top Chef at the time the episode airs, and, yikes, that respite from numerous TS was short lived.  No huge surprises among them, but The Joy Luck Club, Big Bang Theory, Hawaii Five-0, purl, Thanatos, Koko, Sean Penn, fire place, and boo! meringue (LOL) were all clues I figured someone would get.

I never knew where bazinga came from (or cared enough to look it up); I wonder if that bit of trivia will stick with me.  (Sometimes I learn something new via J! and go on to get it right every subsequent time it's asked about, and sometimes there can be a similar clue a week later and I won't remember.)

Thanes was another TS that also stumped me, and I missed one more in the first round.  I missed a handful in DJ, though (but did manage to figure out half the saint clues, so good for me).  FJ came to me eventually, along with a V-8 head slap when it finally did -- ancient dude who got stabbed, of course it's Julius Caesar.  But that took me a bit, and I'd have probably had a big ol' nothing written down if I'd been on the show.

One TS that did give me a laugh was the answer of methane for "It's handy to put facilities for this gasoline additive right in fields of the Midwestern corn it's made from." Cows are getting a bad rap for producing so much methane, they are poisoning the planet, but if someone figured a way to make their gas a gasoline additive, that would be awesome. "This van powered by cow farts."

Back to reality: There is an ethanol plant not far from me and it is, indeed, surrounded by corn fields.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

For FJ, I first thought, It's not Jesus, is it? Then I pretty quickly landed on Julius Caesar.

Other TSs: Joy Luck Club, The Big Bang Theory, Mork and Mindy, Hawaii Five-0, purl, St Elmo, Koko, Tilda Swinton, and Sean Penn.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am Catholic & do not know St. Elmo 🙂 And I too said St. Peter for puncture marks because of his death by Crucifixion.

Well, I said Jesus because of the death by crucifixion, thus proving that 13 years of Catholic school were apparently completely lost on me (crucified, died, buried, resurrected -> no autopsy anywhere in there!).

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

The punctures led me to stabbing which led me to Julius but I was still surprised I got it right. I got St. Elmo's because of the mention of sailors + St Elmo's fire. I laughed over Koko, I used to shelve the book Koko's Kitten all the time at the library I worked at.

Oh, and I totally agree that Wahlberg needed a BMS

Edited by dgpolo
ETA: Wahlberg
  • Love 1

Wow I thought FJ was so obvious. 🤷‍♀️ Julius Caesar came to mind immediately before Alex even finished reading the question. Who’s a historical figure who died from being stabbed a ton of times? Julius Caesar. I even started to second guess myself thinking “It can’t be that easy?” so I was shocked none of them said it!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Who’s a historical figure who died from being stabbed a ton of times?

But that's the thing, it said 'puncture wounds' not stabbing. It did lead me to stabbing but it could have meant other things, being shot with arrows for instance.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am Catholic & do not know St. Elmo

I got that from St Elmo's fire.

9 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I'm not quite sure how to break this to you, but Supernatural lied to you.  There are 4 archangels, but Lucifer isn't one of them.  The fourth is Uriel, who is the Angel of Death.  He gets left out a lot, since people have a weird prejudice...  But I would take the win and leave the Winchesters to their confusion.  🙂

See, and I think that there's only one archangel, Michael, because there are only 2 named angels (besides Lucifer) in my Bible, and it only calls one of them an archangel.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not me. Though it didn't help that I had a largish glass of wine (for me - I'm a lightweight).

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I knew it because of St. Elmo's Fire. Look it up.

I knew because of the movie. 🤣

9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

But that's the thing, it said 'puncture wounds' not stabbing. It did lead me to stabbing but it could have meant other things, being shot with arrows for instance.

I dismissed crucifixion, because I  figured they didn't use that many nails.  I briefly tried to remember the name of the saint why had all those arrows shot into him (not Catholic, but I remember the paintings of it), but then I got to Julius Caesar, though I was sure I was wrong.

• Love 1
(edited)

With the Marie Kondo and the Joy Luck Club recent answers. I'm waiting for the Before and After of "The Spark Joy Luck Club" 

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got that from St Elmo's fire.

I actually sang that as my response.

Julius Caesar was my first thought and was right. To be fair, I had a Caesar salad for dinner so I guess the name was on my mind already.  

That TV catchphrase category was painful. but I knew them.  

Edited by DrScottie
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I briefly tried to remember the name of the saint why had all those arrows shot into him (not Catholic, but I remember the paintings of it)

St Sebastian. He occurred to me, but I figured he didn't have THAT many arrows shot into him, and that led me to the famous scene from Throne of Blood:

throne-of-blood-1957-movie-review-ending

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, Ailianna said:

Is it wrong that I said (mentally) "Who is [yum] Idris Elba?"

"If this is wrong, I don't want to be right."

ETA: I guess this sort of applies to my above post too.

Edited by saber5055
15 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Oh, and I totally agree that Wahlberg needed a BMS

Last week had "Arkin" that needed a BMS, too! Alan and his son Adam are both actors.

36 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So is tonight's episode the last one taped before production stopped?

Yes.

• Love 4

I said Maya Angelou.  I remembered her dying, but I guess it was further back than I thought.  I have lost all concept of time.

I didn't get any TS, but I did get Golden

I got the entire categories of table talk and celebrity exes.  So-so night or me.  I wish the order of last night's and tonight's episodes had been switched.  That would have been a great one for me to go out on.

• Love 1

Maya Angelou never occurred to me.  Toni Morrison was an instaget, and when Alex said we had a choice, I honestly couldn't think of anyone except Toni Morrison.   

I surprised myself by getting all the cars right, including the TS of Mercedes.  I also got mixed metaphor, lungs, spleen, and cyber.  Do you think they would have accepted "mirror sunglasses" instead of reflective?  Because that's what I said.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wait, I’m confused. The category is Authors, but it’s a woman??? And the the “other one” is also a “lady”? Is this the end of the world?

i shouldn’t joke - I think this is the last new episode they had in the can. 😞

ETA - sorry, just saw someone above posted that this is indeed the last. (For now!)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1