Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said port. Sigh..

I said wine.

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I forgot what I said, but I definitely didn't say ellipse and it definitely was stupid.  I wish I could remember, because it was really stupid. 

I was looking at the lines within the ellipse and thus trying to come up with some geometric word. My guesses were probably stupider than yours.

Instead of Justin Bieber, I said Celine Dion. Canadian-Icon singer always leads me to her.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was looking at the lines within the ellipse and thus trying to come up with some geometric word. My guesses were probably stupider than yours.

I remember.  I said "eye."  I think I was trying to add of something to it, but didn't come up with anything.  It did look way more round than elliptical. Not sure if it was a bad picture or if the people who came up with the name/nickname don't know their shapes.

26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Justin Bieber, I said Celine Dion. Canadian-Icon singer always leads me to her.

I said Shania Twain for some bizarre reason.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Shania Twain for some bizarre reason.

I said Gordon Lightfoot.

I got elver, Po, and Sara Gilbert, plus the missed DD of C. S. Lewis - I really liked the category A Writer's Life, even though I didn't get them all.  I did get all of the Say it in French clues. I said beer instead of grog.

For FJ, I knew right away it was the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk talking but the actual name of the fairy tale took a few seconds longer - it had to get ungarbled.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My husband was stymied by Ellipse because the photo looked more like a circle than an ellipse. I was just stymied.

Again, me too! I just saw a circle and couldn't think of anything that started with an e, and I don't think I've ever heard of the ellipse.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mario500 said:

"brat"? 

Here's a little informative reading so next time it comes up, you will be on top of it. It's a very common term, and the opposite of derogatory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_brat

9 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Again, me too! I just saw a circle and couldn't think of anything that started with an e, and I don't think I've ever heard of the ellipse.

I, too, was stumped. I've never seen nor heard of the Ellipse, and I've been to D.C. and the White House. So I looked it up, and it has an interesting history that goes back to Thomas Jefferson.

http://www.washingtondcschamberofsecrets.com/the-mysterious-ellipse.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I knew Ellipse, but the picture did look more like a circle.  

For Jack & the Beanstalk, I had to recite in my head, Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman! which promptly got me to Jack and the Beanstalk.  When I was little, we had a particular book of fairytales that was a favorite of mine.  I remember many of them, and I was able to pass the book on to my granddaughter. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said wine.

My husband said Drake. We've got quite a roster going! 

6 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Definitely not a pejorative, we own it!

https://overseasbrats.com/

You bet!

On 5/27/2020 at 12:39 PM, zoey1996 said:

I knew eidetic because a character on Criminal Minds, Spencer Reid, had it.

My recall is Mulder had it on X-Files. That's how I knew it.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, saber5055 said:

All of the letters except a couple have been worn off of my keyboard.

They say "E" is the most frequently used letter in the English language...so can someone explain to me why NONE of my letters have worn off my keyboard EXCEPT for the "northwest corner" of the "N" ? I would have expected the "E" to wear off first.

Also being old, I remember the ding and the lever on the typewriter and I, too, said Anne Murray.

• Love 2

Sorry clue writers - you got this wrong.

In 2019, 20 years after the original premiered, he was back in the kitchen with "Good Eats: The Return"

Alton Brown's new show is "Good Eats: Reloaded".

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Sorry clue writers - you got this wrong.

Alton Brown's new show is "Good Eats: Reloaded".

IMDb lists both titles, and the Food Network website page for the show reads "The Return".

It seems like Reloaded started in 2018, consisting of old episodes edited with updates.  In 2019, which is what was in the clue, came The Return, with all new episodes.  I don't know if that's entirely accurate - since even though I like the concept of his show I cannot watch it knowing what an asshole he is - but that's what I got from my perusal of IMDb and the FN site after your post made me curious.

Edited by Bastet

FJ was tough tonight!  I clued in on "musicians" and repeated, "band, band, band" to myself until "wagon" came to mind in the nick of time.  (Bandstand, band box, band-aid, and other band-things made brief appearances before wagon.)  And I get an asterisk!

No TS here, but I did get Tallahassee.  I figure the guy forgot the category.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I get an asterisk!

Don't be greedy. Mary Kate answered correctly.

I felt the FJ clue was written in a confusing manner. For anyone who doesn't agree, my point is it confused me. No way could I ever answer it as written.

My only takeaway from tonight's game was that Ben, in profile, was a dead ringer for Stumptown's Jake Johnson. That's not a bad thing.

• Love 2

I'll be watching something else later, so I just checked the archive for tonight's game.  It read like an interesting one - it seemed to include more wrong answers than average, but fewer TS.

I'd have run the first round if it wasn't for the mythology category, but I missed all of those.

In DJ, I would love to blame not being able to see the pictures for me getting two of those clues wrong, but I couldn't have answered amphora or Escher even with the visual aid.  I also missed three in the chick category.  But I got everything else that round, including all the poetry clues when that is a fairly iffy category for me.  And I reasoned my way to the correct answer for FJ pretty quickly, so it wasn't a bad game, just not one of my best.

The only TS I got was Impractical Jokers. 

I was proud of myself for figuring out FJ. Maybe it wasn't that tough, but the first thing that came to mind was crowd-pleaser. Then I figured that wasn't a word, plus it didn't have anything to do with music. And finally I came to bandwagon! Yay me.

• Love 1

For a second what first came to mind for FJ was “groundswell,” not sure why (music swelling, maybe?) but then my mind immediately landed on “bandwagon” and as soon as I thought it I knew it couldn’t be anything else. 

I often have the same brainfart where I say the state instead of the city, or vice versa, so I felt the leader’s pain when he did the same thing. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was proud of myself for figuring out FJ. Maybe it wasn't that tough, but the first thing that came to mind was crowd-pleaser. Then I figured that wasn't a word, plus it didn't have anything to do with music. And finally I came to bandwagon! Yay me.

“Tough” is relative. I could not figure FJ out. All I thought of was trending, but couldn’t get the connection to music.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

We spent a lot of time and had a lot of fun studying M.C. Escher in my Perspective Drawing class in college. Those memories will never fade. "Vanishing point!"

In the one and only drawing class I took in college - the professor told us to use perspective in one of our assignments - without telling or showing us anything. That was his approach to everything he assigned - just do it. It turned me off of drawing completely.

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I often have the same brainfart where I say the state instead of the city, or vice versa, so I felt the leader’s pain when he did the same thing. 

Me too, when I do know it. It also doesn't help that I'm weak in the State Capitols arena.

I nearly ran three categories, but nearly isn't good enough. 😞

FJ stumped me though. If I'd gotten to the word "band" I might have gotten there, but I didn't. My husband, a musician who's been in many bands (!) didn't get there either. 😂

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

All I thought of was trending,

That was all I could come up with too but I was pretty  very sure it wasn't right.

Not a great game for me - my only ts was Tallahassee.

Maybe I'll do better tonight.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

In the one and only drawing class I took in college - the professor told us to use perspective in one of our assignments - without telling or showing us anything. That was his approach to everything he assigned - just do it. It turned me off of drawing completely.

I took Art Appreciation in college so I didn't have to actually produce any art.  But, the teacher had other ideas.  We had one project where we had to draw a common object (the example was a key, I used a soda can tab) and divide a piece of paper into 12(?) squares and draw the object from different perspectives.  Not sure what I did wrong on that, but I got a D.  I also got a D when he had to do a drawing with converging lines, or whatever.  I at least know why I got a D on that.  I got A's and B's on the tests, but those two projects (which I didn't feel should have even been a requirement) pulled me down to a C.  I think I've triggered myself.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was his approach to everything he assigned - just do it. It turned me off of drawing completely.

That was my painting instructor for freshman and sophomore years. Lesson consisted of "There's the model. Paint her." I was frustrated beyond words. Junior year I had a new instructor who took time to show us and explain to us, which is when I learned to love Edward Hopper. I finally "got it" and ended up liking the class so much that I took painting as an elective senior year. (It was a required class freshman through junior.) Interestingly, I never had a problem with my watercolor classes, and class assignments were regularly created in acrylics, I just had trouble with oil painting.

These posts are excellent examples of what good and not-so-good teachers mean to us.

Speaking of teachers, this tournament is making me think of our @teebax. I miss her posts and hope she is doing well.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

One of the best teachers I had in college taught a class that was considered quite difficult.  He started by telling us that he had taken the same class at the same college.  Three times.  So he knew where the hard parts were, and how to help us get through them.  

By contrast, some of my teachers had learned something easily that we did not, and had no idea how to help and/or thought we were just being difficult.  Of course it is also possible for someone who learned something easily to help others through the hard parts.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I took Art Appreciation in college so I didn't have to actually produce any art.  But, the teacher had other ideas.  We had one project where we had to draw a common object (the example was a key, I used a soda can tab) and divide a piece of paper into 12(?) squares and draw the object from different perspectives.  Not sure what I did wrong on that, but I got a D.  I also got a D when he had to do a drawing with converging lines, or whatever.  I at least know why I got a D on that.  I got A's and B's on the tests, but those two projects (which I didn't feel should have even been a requirement) pulled me down to a C.  I think I've triggered myself.

So sorry to remind you of that. My daughter, who has an art degree, has pretty traumatic memories of some of her classes. Me, I was just pissed off and flipped him off in my mind. I did enjoy other art classes (which fortunately, never required us to do - just to absorb and write about it).

31 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

No, stupid Jeopardy writers, most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels were NOT written with her son.  Only a few of them were, and they were not good.

I yelled at Alex and the clue writers for even mentioning Todd!  The ones he had a hand in don't exist in my reality.

And apparently I was prescient last night -- I knew I'd get an asterisk for an FJ!  I just got it tonight instead.  🙂  Texas came to me right away.  Virginia and California crossed my mind, but I stuck with my first instinct.  Good for me!

But the only TS I got was nanoparticles.  I got distracted by something shiny for most of the game.

• Love 1

I thought it was either VA or OH and went with Ohio.  Looks like I was right that the three places in VA don’t count as libraries or museums.  Heh, I should have known Texas but I do try to pretend the Bushes don’t exist. 

I’m also still singing “To the Temple of Music, by the Tower of Light, at the Pan-American Exposition...in Buffalo, in Buffalo.”

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And apparently I was prescient last night -- I knew I'd get an asterisk for an FJ!  I just got it tonight instead.  🙂  Texas came to me right away.  Virginia and California crossed my mind, but I stuck with my first instinct.  Good for me!

I said out loud 'Ohio -- California -- Texas', I don't know if I should give it to me or not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

I’ll give credit to the Ringling Museum and their bandwagon exhibits for that. 

I lived in Sarasota for 46 years and never saw the circus museum! We went to the Ringling Art Museum lots tho'. Glad I figured out the answer without going to the circus museum!!

(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And apparently I was prescient last night -- I knew I'd get an asterisk for an FJ!  I just got it tonight instead.  🙂

You've obviously been time traveling. I'll check back with you yesterday.

I've been time traveling too, having seen before the question of six presidents have had this first name that was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire last night, and the state with most pres libraries/museums on FJ today. I just leave that time realm before I am given the answers. Or the time-space continuum erases my memory.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

The "Picture the Movie" category amused me.

The McNamara TS surprised me.

I did not have a good game.  I got all but one in the first round, but missed quite a few in DJ, and random things, not things in traditionally weak subjects. 

I did get FJ.  I knew FDR's was the first presidential library, so I started mentally rattling off subsequent presidents, and getting to Johnson = Texas made me think of the Bushes.  I was out of time then, but figured there wouldn't be a state with more than three, so was confident I'd figured it out.  It was nice to end strong after my DJ performance.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m also still singing “To the Temple of Music, by the Tower of Light, at the Pan-American Exposition...in Buffalo, in Buffalo.”

😂 Same! The only reason I know that answer is because of that song! That musical has come in handy for many Jeopardy answers!

I was surprised FJ was a triple stumper. I figured you had two with the Bushes and there was likely another, so Texas!

• Love 2

The state that leapt to mind was Ohio, but I considered NY and CA before thinking about LBJ and the two Bushes, so I knew it had to be Texas.

I also got the DD of Baltic, Pushkin, and McNamera.

10 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I was surprised FJ was a triple stumper. I figured you had two with the Bushes and there was likely another, so Texas!

Other = LBJ, but still, with so many presidents from other states like VA, I wasn’t sure about anything. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, stupid Jeopardy writers, most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels were NOT written with her son.  Only a few of them were, and they were not good.

Technically, they said many - but since I stopped reading them when her son was a co-writer and have no idea how many he actually helped write (or wrote himself).  I consulted several lists and finally gave up counting. For me, Anne's are the only ones that count.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew FDR's was the first presidential library, so I started mentally rattling off subsequent presidents, and getting to Johnson = Texas made me think of the Bushes.

Very little makes me think of the Bushes, so I never did get to Texas.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Very little makes me think of the Bushes, so I never did get to Texas.

LOL. Sorry for the bad trip this FJ gave you.

I first thought Iowa, because that library is near me. Couldn't think of a second. So I went to Missouri because I've been to that one. Couldn't think of a second. So I went to California because my CEO at the time went to Reagan's funeral. Couldn't think of a second. (Sorry not sorry Dick.) So I gave up.

I had a very traumatic experience in Texas some years ago and said I would never ever go back. Never have, never will. Obviously, that applies to mentally as well. Not sorry I missed Texas, for oh so many reasons.

• Love 2

Texas was my first thought for FJ but California and Virginia did also occur to me.  When I first saw the FJ category I thought I was doomed so I was surprised the answer came to me so quickly.

I think next week's games will be very good.

• Love 3

Since FDR was the one who started Presidential Libraries, realizing how much of former President's papers and so on got lost, you go forward from there and you get LBJ and Bush 1 & 2 - Texas.

I got FJ.  After telling myself 3 times that Bavaria still exists, think of something else!

I got the TS of Orion, vial, FTC, The Old Curiosity Shop (love Dickens), and the Moonstone.  I got the entire category of English lit right.

• Love 1

I was inadvertently spoiled as to the winner tonight by the local news.  They did another interview with him, and during the intro, said, "He's made it through two rounds."  Boo, hiss on my local news people.  I'm not sad to see him win, though I do wish he'd stop with the rocking.

As for FJ, sometimes it's good not to know too much.  European History (well, any history, really) is a weak area for me.  The only thing that even came into my mind was Prussia, so I wrote it down.  Imagine my surprise when it was right!

I also got Orion, vial (phial), and cistern.

And yeah, Hepburn needed a BMS.

• Love 2
(edited)

There is no way this won't be preempted by news coverage tonight, so I just read the archive.  So I couldn't see any of the flower pictures, but I - giving myself a little extra time - got all of them based on the text of the clues. 

I missed several other clues in the first round, though.  In DJ, I missed all but one of the pop music clues and quite a few other assorted clues.  It was just not my game.  At least FJ was an instaget. 

It looks like it was a good, close game for the contestants, though.  The cistern TS mildly surprised me, as did vial (not that none of the three had ever seen the ph spelling, but that no one went ahead and guessed it based on the definition).

And, yes, Hepburn not resulting in a BMS prompt was ridiculous.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

No Jeopardy here today, just news coverage of protests and curfews. Things are bad here. Chicago radio hosts couldn't make it into work last night, it was too dangerous with the city locked down and the Loop on fire. There are even protests/looting in the smaller towns, and curfews in rural counties.

I don't care enough to try to find today's episode. Tomorrow's either. Getting or not getting a TS of FJ doesn't mean anything to me right now.

• Love 1