Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

If I think about things too much -- or at all -- I nearly cry, so Jeopardy is a nice respite for me.

I got vial and the DD of Orion. Instead of Hunley, I said Henley.

I didn't get FJ.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No J! for us tonight. We get it on 2 channels - preempted on both.

Me either.  All I saw was FJ.  Apparently FOX45 thought it was more important to show people not rioting than it was to show Jeopardy.  (Don't get me wrong, I'm all for peaceful protest and for media acknowledgement of said peacefulness.  But it didn't merit taking up almost an entire extra half hour after the news.)

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  After telling myself 3 times that Bavaria still exists, think of something else!

I got FJ right away.  All those European history classes in college taught me that if a question was asked about the most military German state pre-original unification, the answer is always Prussia.

• Love 3

My first thought for FJ was Alaska and Hawaii, then I second-guessed myself with Washington and Oregon, but went back to Alaska and Hawaii in plenty of time.  

I also got bight, tip-off, Harriet Beecher Stowe (after first saying Harriet Tubman, then realizing it was the other Harriet), Isak Dineson, and Jefferson.

Meggie is a force to be reckoned with.  The finals should be good.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Meggie had the same reaction I did to that “Magic Mike Pompeo” clue. 

Ha. All I could think of was "The Full Monty" and couldn't come up with any Secretary of State named Monty.

I did get bight, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hoop Dreams, and Isak Dinesen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Oh, jeez - "Women Authors".

But I truly laughed out loud at Meggie's disgusted reaction to the thought of "Magic Mike Pompeo". 

The tip-off, Jefferson, and temporal TS were varying degrees of surprising (the last one the most surprising to me).  The Harriet Beecher Stowe TS was disappointing.

I'll have to look up the secretary bird, as my ignorance of its existence kept me from running the first round.  I only missed one (skateboard) in DJ, too, and got FJ, so I came so very close to a perfect game! 

• Love 3

I "knew" Harriet Beecher Stowe and Isak Dinesen but couldn't pull their names from my brain.

I did get tip-off and Hoop Dreams. I don't think I've ever heard of bight.

I can't believe I blew FJ, but I did.

I am enjoying Meggie in this series...she's very bright & fun to watch.  She is playing to the camera but in a fun way, I bet she would be a super Teacher to have.  Her scarf wrapped around her head is very cute. (and also I call my daughter Megan, "Meggie")

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am enjoying Meggie in this series...she's very bright & fun to watch.

I like her excitement when she correctly guesses/figures out something she wasn't entirely sure she was going to get when she rang in.  Like the "Paradise Lost" DD.  (If she'd heard me shouting Hoop Dreams for that DD, she'd have had another one - damn, everyone should watch that film.)

It's one of the reasons I so enjoyed her "Ugh" reaction once "Magic Mike Pompeo" sunk in.  She - saying later she loves those word play categories (as do I, so I relate) - was tickled to have beaten everyone to the buzzer to suss it out ... and then the implications of that correct combination hit her and she needed brain bleach.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)

I ran "the Human Body" - which was a surprise to me.

Even did well on Before and After, which is usually a trial for me. Could not make my mind go to Pompeo though, it just refused to go there.

I got FJ after arguing with myself. I knew Cook went to Hawaii, but for some reason I think of the Northwest Passage attempts as coming from the east, not the west. I think I was stuck in "The Terror."

I did enjoy Meggie tonight. Had to read Paradise Lost in college, and it's one of the few that stuck with me.

Is this tournament the last of the new episodes?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I got FJ after arguing with myself. I knew Cook went to Hawaii, but for some reason I think of the Northwest Passage attempts as coming from the east, not the west. I think I was stuck in "The Terror."

Me too! I was so stuck there that I couldn't get out to Hawaii, even though I know Cook went there. I felt stupid when the answers were revealed.

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget.  I've read Hunchback, and I've been there.  

I got the TS of Daniel and hot rollers.  I got the entire category of boulders right.

It was funny because I was just talking to my mom about Wile E. Coyote yesterday and I said it wasn't fair that he could never catch the road runner, because he really went to a lot of work setting up his traps.  Though I suspect he may not read the instructions on his Acme products.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Instaget FJ tonight -- "rose window" made it obvious to me.  

Good game tonight.  Not too many TS or wrong answers.  I only got hot rollers.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It was funny because I was just talking to my mom about Wile E. Coyote yesterday and I said it wasn't fair that he could never catch the road runner, because he really went to a lot of work setting up his traps.  Though I suspect he may not read the instructions on his Acme products.

Maybe the instructions were early IKEA.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, ABay said:

Rose window was a give away.

For some reason my brain was trying to think of a -fictional- place. At the last second I realized my mistake and said Notre Dame.

• Love 1

Another preemption, so I just read the archive.  I love the "Alex reads the clue with an imitative voice" notations - ha!  I'm not sorry to have missed those imitations, though.

No one knowing what SRS stands for surprised me, as did the hot rollers TS a bit, but it seemed like a good game (I wish Lauren had won, though).

Not a good one for me, as I missed at least ten, although several of those I feel confident I'd have got if I'd been able to see the visual part of the clue.  At least FJ was an instaget for me.

2 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

During the McCarthy question , it seemed like Alex was trying to  do an imitation of Colonel Sanders .

ETA : or maybe Foghorn Leghorn . 

I thought he sounded like Francis Underwood on “House of Cards”! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one knowing what SRS stands for surprised me, as did the hot rollers TS a bit, but it seemed like a good game (I wish Lauren had won, though).

I said safety restraint system.  I obviously would not have rung in.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got the TS The Woman in Cabin 10. Since I read it, I never go to bed without my cell phone on my nightstand.

Apparently I didn't find the book that terrifying, as even after it was revealed I didn't think it deserved quite that accolade. Maybe I read too many thrillers.

10 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

During the McCarthy question , it seemed like Alex was trying to  do an imitation of Colonel Sanders .

ETA : or maybe Foghorn Leghorn . 

And I was wondering what the heck he was doing - McCarthy was from Wisconsin, not the south.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And I was wondering what the heck he was doing - McCarthy was from Wisconsin, not the south.

That's what I shouted at the TV. What, he was from Southern Wisconsin? Jeez, Trebek.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said safety restraint system.  I obviously would not have rung in.

damn. I missed that part of the show, went to the store. I totally would have gotten SRS as I'm in the automotive field! 

I like Ben and Meggie. Therefore Will FTW (I don't hate him, so it's not the end of the world.)

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 1

I know it's just me being pedantic, but I would not have given Lauren credit for "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark".  I know it was later packaged that way (ugh), but when it came out in 1981 it was "Raiders of the Lost Ark", period, and shall forever remain so.  I actively started rooting against her at that point, so I'm glad that she did not win.

I'm fine will all 3 finalists.  Meggie was a beast in her semi-final.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, SeanC said:

Meggie had the same reaction I did to that “Magic Mike Pompeo” clue. 

Yeah, that make me shudder.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TS of bight, tip off, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Hoop Dreams.

I got the entire category of NV right.

I said jump off instead of tip off, but I got the rest.

FJ was almost an instaget.  I said Alaska and Washington first, due to all my reading last year about the search for the NW Passage, but then realized that Cook's final voyage ended with his death at the hands of natives in Hawaii, and changed my answer in plenty of time to have written it down.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:30 PM, peeayebee said:

I don't think I've ever heard of bight.

I knew it from the Great Australian Bight - that bit where the bottom coastline of Australia curves upward.  I was quite obsessed with all things Australian in the late 80s-early 90s, and I've kinda been revisiting that phase recently.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Isak Dineson, and Jefferson.

I struggled to drag Isak Dineson out of my brain (rather than out of Africa) and almost changed my answer of Jefferson, but didn't.  I've heard of Marbury v. Madison but never knew what it was about.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

But I truly laughed out loud at Meggie's disgusted reaction to the thought of "Magic Mike Pompeo". 

Me, too.  Yuckety, yuck!

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

temporal TS were varying degrees of surprising

I've heard the term, but wasn't sure exactly where it was in the brain; for some reason "next to the temple" didn't occur to me. Damn you, Grey's Anatomy - of all the things you've taught me, why couldn't that be one?

For deeply personal reasons (see my avatar), I was extremely amused that both "Hades" and "the Elysian Fields" were answers on Tuesday.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 9:02 AM, Clanstarling said:

Could not make my mind go to Pompeo though, it just refused to go there.

I wish mine hadn't.

I knew Cook went to Hawaii, but for some reason I think of the Northwest Passage attempts as coming from the east, not the west. I think I was stuck in "The Terror."

That show inspired my reading many books about the search for the NW Passage, and is why I know there were attempts coming from the west.  It was an incredible show.  Jared Harris deserved some Emmy love for it.  Though he might've lost to himself for Chernobyl if that was in the same Emmy qualifying period.

Had to read Paradise Lost in college, and it's one of the few that stuck with me.

I did, too.  I rather liked the parts which dealt with Lucifer, but Jesus was boring.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've heard of Marbury v. Madison but never knew what it was about.

It's the case that essentially says, the President is not a King under another name.  It established the principle of judicial review, and says that the courts can overrule the president (executive) or congress (legislative) in the Constitution's separation of powers.  A particularly important case right now, in my opinion.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

I am upset! Jeopardy was preempted today...I thought, ok, I will watch it at 2:30 AM where they usually move it...NOT...they are going to put the second half of Day of Our Lives! I called the station to find out when J would be shown...it isn't going to be. I explained the the lady that it is part of a two part Tournament but to no avail. She said they was no where to put it. I am not happy....I haven't watched Days in years and probably the same stuff is happening as the last time I watched it!

The motorcycle accident is the first scene in the movie!  Though I am curious if Lawrence Of Arabia would have actually been accepted as opposed to his actual name. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I was with the contestants today on having no clue for FJ.  Never in a million years would I have been able to come up with Lawrence of Arabia -- was there a hint in the clue that should have pointed me in that direction?  

Tonight was a real battle of the buzzers, and not too many TS, either.  I didn't write down any.  It's nice to have a fairly evenly matched final.

But Meggie's kinda starting to get on my nerves.

ETA:  Just saw your post, @M. Darcy -- I haven't actually seen the movie, so motorcycle accident didn't help me in the least.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

I didn't have the foggiest clue of a foggiest clue for FJ. I said Evil Knieval, but knew that was wrong.

The only missed clue I got was unemployment.

I got the entire categories of natural world, rhyme, and flags right.

Oh Man!  I thought FJ was easy!  I cant believe none of them got it.  "Lawrence of Arabia" is one of my all time favorite movies!  The ending scene shows him in a motorcycle crash.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

The motorcycle accident is the first scene in the movie!  Though I am curious if Lawrence Of Arabia would have actually been accepted as opposed to his actual name. 

Yes. It usually is.  Lawrence was his last name. And isn't that what Alex said the answer was?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't have the foggiest clue of a foggiest clue for FJ. I said Evil Knieval, but knew that was wrong.

I said Patton but knew it was wrong by the date.

10 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Yes, I love that movie....you are  right it was the opening scene, I was remembering it being the last scene

• Love 1

I saw Lawrence of Arabia a long time ago, and I did not remember the motorcycle crash at all. The movie isn’t a favorite with me. So I was among the clueless. 

I also noted the weird Southern accent Alex gave Joseph McCarthy. 

• Love 1

I forgot to check the archive in advance since I'd be watching Top Chef tonight, so I just read through this game's clues now.

I loved the Mister Rogers category.  We do indeed miss you, sir.

I knew/correctly guessed all but Black Mirror, inspo, and obvy in the first round, and I am very okay with not knowing those last two.

In DJ, I missed only another few clues, so I was having a good game.  But I had absolutely no idea on FJ.  Could have sat here for hours and not come up with it.  When the answer was revealed, I was surprised that none of the four of us had at least seen the movie.

I like that the scores are so close and it's still anyone's game tomorrow.  But:  Go, Meggie!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Jared Harris deserved some Emmy love for it. 

OMGosh, yes! I knew his chances were slim to none, but he was amazing. I still need to rewatch that.

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The motorcycle accident is the first scene in the movie!  

I immediately pictured this as Alex read the clue. So, instaget.

For yesterday's show, I got [Book of] Daniel and rollers. 

For tonight's show, besides FJ, I only got Mekong River.

I know I saw the movie a long time ago but I didn't remember the motorcycle crash. I got FJ because it was also an FJ within the last few years - and I remembered it.  The writers love L of A, along with Oscar Wilde.

That was a very good game, hope tonight's game is as good.  I'm not really pulling for anyone, let the best person win.

I am 4/4 on FJs so far.  Could this be the week I finally get 5/5?  Did I just jinx myself?

(edited)
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

J! Archive lists the answer as Lawrence of Arabia, and says TE Lawrence would also have been accepted (kind of strange order, imo).

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I said Patton but knew it was wrong by the date.

Patton did enter my mind, but I too knew the date was wrong, plus it wasn't a motorcycle accident. I finally got to Lawrence of Arabia, and did also manage to come up with his actual name. The motorcycle didn't tell me anything. I saw that movie, but I thought it was incredibly boring so I didn't retain much except for a closeup of Peter O'Toole and one vast desert panorama (sorry @BuckeyeLou).

I actually started out being neutral about Meggie and have come to enjoy her. Though I don't have a favorite for the win.

Edited by Clanstarling

I'm torn about tonight's game.

Ben's from my city (St. Clair Shores, MI), and I like him, so I feel I should be rooting for him to win. But I've come to love Meggie and her exuberance.

Guess I'll wait and see how I feel once the game begins.

• Love 1

Lawrence of Arabia was an instaget for me. While in England last year, I went on an afternoon tour of the Jurassic Coast area which touched on three different Hardys who lived in the area.  As part of the tour we drove by Lawrence’s estate and saw where the motorcycle crash happened. That stuck with me.

I’ll be happy with whoever wins the tournament, though I’m less taken with Meggie.

• Love 1

Meggie has been posting about her experience on her FB page. She asked everyone to be careful not to include any spoilers, asking that everyone remember to wait until episode airs an west coast before getting into specifics. She's teaching in NYC now, but is actually a Lodi, California, girl (who happens to be my sister's daughter) so lots of friends & family out West. If you want to check it out, just search for Meggie Kwait. 

She posted that FJ question was suggested by Alex himself ad he thought it would be easy, and he ribbed them all for not getting it. 

• Love 9

I had no idea for Final Jeopardy.  I can tell you exactly one thing about Lawrence of Arabia, and it's the famous shot of Omar Sharif riding a camel out of the distance.  It's one of those films that I feel like I should see, but it's so long that you really have to make a commitment to watching it.  Plus I'm told it's the kind of thing you really need to see on the big screen to get the full effect.

I loved Meggie's comeback after her losing everything on the Daily Double.  She is one of the more likeable contestants I've seen in awhile now.

• Love 4

When Dr. Zhivago was released, a certain theater in Miami Beach was running it and people complained about how cold the theater was. The manager said the thermostat was set the same as it was for Lawrence of Arabia, when everyone complained about how hot the theater was.  THAT's what I remember about LoA.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

All I could think of was Steve McQueen (the original, not the current one), but I knew that he was crashing motorcycles on film in the 1960s (LOVE The Great Escape!), so I knew it wasn't him, but I just couldn't come up with ANYone else who died in a motorcycle crash.  Seems crazy, but there you have it.  I actually just learned from this game that (TE) Lawrence of Arabia died in a motorcycle crash.

• Love 1
(edited)

I usually root for people from New York. But I can't stand Meggie. Too bubbly, too stylish (if you can call it that) and way too in love with the sound of her own voice.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 3