Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, I have never heard of Kim Philby, and my knowledge of the works of Rudyard Kipling is limited to the poem If and The Jungle Book, so I was wondering if somebody had a nickname that came from Shere Khan 🙄

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'll admit that I don't think I've heard of Kim Philby. So, I said, Kim?  Riki-tiki-tavi?  Baloo?  Mowgli?  I give up.

If I’d heard of Kim Philby, it was from this show, but I didn’t remember it at all.  I went through the same names before giving up.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'll admit that I don't think I've heard of Kim Philby. So, I said, Kim?  Riki-tiki-tavi?  Baloo?  Mowgli?  I give up.

I knew about Kim Philby - but the only name I came up with was Mowgli, which did not sound right. 🤣

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, ABay said:

One of my friends and I have a long-running joke about confusing Kim Philby with Kim Darby, and I crack up when either of their names comes up.

That just seems Kim Possible.

• LOL 7

It's so funny to hear Brad say he was a "boring" champion whose life hadn't really changed from being on the show--and now, he's won more money than any game show champion in history--even Ken's victory in the GOAT tournament didn't change that. That makes Alex asking if he was nervous about the idea of winning a million dollars even better because..well, you know. KING! <3 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I can't get over how different Brad looks in his early episodes.

I would never recognize him. He's so ... let's just say handsome ... now. Unless you'd rather use that other H word ... hot.

When the "SEVENTH" category was shown, right away I said "Seventh Seal." So yeay me.

I thought "whale" could have used a BMS.

Claudia was aggressive. I liked her. I also was surprised to see players skipping all over the board, but also very glad to see the aggressive play. Also like the one player going "all in" TM James on the DD.

What cracked me up though was Brad weaving all over the place like a drunken sailor. He would be ripped from all directions on this board if 2002 Brad were playing now. Dude almost gave me vertigo watching him.

FJ would have been easier for me if it had happened just last year like it did for these players.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

What do you like contestants to do while they are being introduced?  Gesture? Dance? Stand and smile?

Use ASL to sign "Hi Saber, we love you."

Too selfish?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I have never heard the name Kim Philby in my life and I don’t get the connection to Kipling either. All I know from Kipling is The Jungle Book. Kim is a nickname? Was this someone who would have been more known in 2002? 

At least I got “Pennies” immediately. That’s actually more timely now with the coin shortage and people saying we should do away with pennies again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I have never heard the name Kim Philby in my life and I don’t get the connection to Kipling either. All I know from Kipling is The Jungle Book. Kim is a nickname? Was this someone who would have been more known in 2002?

Not particularly, I don't think.  It's one of those things that you either know, or you don't.  Philby was a British MI6 officer who turned out to have been spying for the KGB.  He was exposed in 1966 and defected to the Soviet Union, where he lived until his death in 1988.  So he wasn't recent news in 2002, or anything.

His given name was Harold.  He was nicknamed "Kim" after the hero of Kipling's spy novel of the same name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Driad said:

What do you like contestants to do while they are being introduced?  Gesture? Dance? Stand and smile?

If I ever make it to Jeopardy, I'm going to duck behind my podium and hide while I'm introduced.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I have never heard the name Kim Philby in my life

Same here. So I had to look him up and do some reading. I'm ready now if Jeopardy wants to use him as a future clue.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:
3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Not particularly, I don't think.  It's one of those things that you either know, or you don't.  Philby was a British MI6 officer who turned out to have been spying for the KGB.  He was exposed in 1966 and defected to the Soviet Union, where he lived until his death in 1988.  So he wasn't recent news in 2002, or anything.

His given name was Harold.  He was nicknamed "Kim" after the hero of Kipling's spy novel of the same name.

Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Five

I've watched documentaries and read books about this plus there was a mini-series called "The Cambridge Spies" in 2003

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

plus there was a mini-series called "The Cambridge Spies" in 2003

Not on the three network channels I get via my tv antenna. I don't get to see all the show you rich folks do.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not on the three network channels I get via my tv antenna. I don't get to see all the show you rich folks do.

Heh, it was a British series.  I saw it by getting the discs from Netflix.  For those in the Cumbercollective,  Benedict has a very small part in it.  

FYI, In Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - the Kim Philby character is played by 

Spoiler

Colin Firth

• Love 1

The Alec Guinness series from the 80s was more excellent than the recent excellent movie with Gary Oldman (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy).  Both available from my public library.

I cannot believe it’s been 18/19 years since Claudia was on.  I forgot how much I liked her.  

Edited by PaulaO

Once again we get Chuck Forrest and once again we get no Forrest Bounce. Eh. What's up with that.

Leslie ROCKED. But I was disappointed in her meager DD bet and even more so in her FJ wager. What was up with that. I hope she makes a Wild Card spot.

We just saw a Famous Ships FJ. And once again, it was not Cutty Sark, the Edmund Fitzgerald or HMS Budweiser. Ha ha! I didn't realize the Carpathia sank.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

Think my answer of "The one that helped the Titanic...it starts with a C..." would have been accepted?

That was my answer almost word for word, except I added that 'Molly Brown gave each crew member a medal'...

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Once again we get Chuck Forrest and once again we get no Forrest Bounce. Eh. What's up with that.

Leslie ROCKED. But I was disappointed in her meager DD bet and even more so in her FJ wager. What was up with that. I hope she makes a Wild Card spot.

We just saw a Famous Ships FJ. And once again, it was not Cutty Sark, the Edmund Fitzgerald or HMS Budweiser. Ha ha! I didn't realize the Carpathia sank.

I've noticed that the contestants haven't bet big this week. Maybe they want to make the semi-finals and then we'll see more risks taken. The questions have been tougher than usual.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, saber5055 said:

If the clue talks about a shipwreck, my brain automatically follows 'wreck' with 'of the Edmund Fitzgerald' and then I can think of nothing else. So, that was my response to that clue, despite knowing it was wrong.

• LOL 5

I wish that instead of spending a lot of time and money looking for a CURE for cancer, they could just discover/invent something that renders it inocuous, like a rash or a wart or a nagging cough.  Once it's no longer lethal, THEN they can look for a cure.

23 hours ago, UYI said:

Tonight's episode of Million Dollar Masters features India Cooper, who died earlier this year on May 17th. 

I had looked away from the tv when the episode ended, then looked back in time to read the message about India's passing. I exhaled a breathless "OH,"  and then started crying.

These are rather tough times. So much heartbreak.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, opus said:

If Leslie bets more aggressively, maybe that whole Ken, James, Brad thing doesn't exist.

One of my Jeopardy pet peeves is players who don't play to win.   The leader going into Final Jeopardy needs to presume that the 2nd place contestant will answer correctly and double their score, and they (the leader) needs to wager enough to beat that amount by $1.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SweetSable said:

One of my Jeopardy pet peeves is players who don't play to win.   The leader going into Final Jeopardy needs to presume that the 2nd place contestant will answer correctly and double their score, and they (the leader) needs to wager enough to beat that amount by $1.  

OTOH, If I'm playing and the category  "People named Aloysius" comes up, I'm betting 0 no matter what the other contestants have for scores.  Because I'm 100% sure I'll get it wrong.  I don't know any.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Missed Monday's game completely because of tornado warnings and severe weather, missed half of single Jeopardy yesterday because of Biden's announcement and missed end of DJ and FJ today because of Biden/Harris press conference. couldn't they have waited 10 minutes.

Also, last week did Alex announce the contestants who made the semi's because of their high scores? I was waiting for it and never saw it.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank "The Book Of Mormon" (the musical, not the actual Book of Mormon) for my knowledge of the angel Moroni and the golden plates.  

Heh that’s how I knew the answer. 

• Love 1

I'm a victim of the 75-100 mph winds that ripped through the Midwest Monday. My power was out 20 hours, then came back Tuesday. So I got to see Tuesday's show. I originally posted after Leslie won her day that I really liked her but she needed to step up her DD wager and she was too chicken in her FJ bet. I guess that didn't change. *sigh* @opus and I were thinking along the same lines ... if Leslie had bet to win this game, the whole Brad thing never would have happened.

After power being on 25 hours, it went off again today for eight more hours, so I missed today's game too. At least power is back on now *knock wood* because ComEd tells me it's not suppose to be back until 11 p.m. Friday. And today's Wednesday! I keep getting automated calls telling me they don't know what the problem is, but I'm in the same boat as some 171,000 others still without power. An improvement over the original 625,000 powerless in Illinois and some 500,000 in eastern Iowa.

Edited by saber5055
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So, am I the only one who never heard the word "derecho" until this last week?

We had one come through a few years ago - once you've lived through one you never forget it. But until then I'd never heard of it either.

• Love 2

We had one come through here in 2012.  I accidentally drove through part of it (I'd been out of the country!  I didn't know why my final flight was cancelled, just that I preferred to rent a car and drive the rest of the way home instead of hanging around in the next-to-last airport for who knows how long!).  In addition to ferocious winds, that one had some spectacular lightning.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So, am I the only one who never heard the word "derecho" until this last week?

Add me to the list of people who had never heard of a derecho until some smarty news/weather people discovered the word to describe what hit here. My mailbox is still flat on the ground, broken off at the post. I'm expecting the PO to fine me, but good luck finding somewhere to put the notice.

Anyway, we always called what happened here straight-line winds. They are worse than a tornado. But Monday's event was stellar to say the least.

Here's another explanation for what happened Monday. The cow part made me LOL.

https://www.theonion.com/chicago-pd-condemns-black-lives-matter-for-creating-vio-1844686924

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I preferred to rent a car and drive the rest of the way home instead of hanging around in the next-to-last airport for who knows how long!

Monday, a friend in western Iowa was driving to Omaha, arm out the window, tooling along, when the *ahem* derecho went by him. He said all of a sudden he was in the opposite lane, struggling to gain control of his vehicle and keep out of the ditch. Lots of semis were not so blessed. So you were lucky to make it home safely, Browncoat. One thing about loss of power, no gasoline, and for people who live in the country *ahem* no water. For anything. The grocery in the town 20 miles north of me is still out of power, so closed. I haven't been to my little town to see what's open/not open, and am wondering if the stores where I shop (30 miles west) will be open tomorrow.

I enjoyed Leslie and India looking at each other and laughing like they were saying "Get a load of that Brad Rutter" during Tuesday's game. Brad was way fast on that buzzer. And it was nice to see India again. All three of Tuesday's players were pleasant.

Yesterday was Chuck Forrest again, his third time. Did he do The Forrest Bounce this time? Because he did not the other two times. Makes me wonder how he got so famous for a move he didn't do all that much. Or ever, maybe.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
Just now, saber5055 said:

So you were lucky to make it home safely, Browncoat.

Agreed 100%.  Had I known what kind of storm I was driving into, I probably wouldn't have done it.  I saw the radar signature the next day, and was just floored by it.  I was also fortunate that the electricity at my house didn't even so much as blip, while one of my friends out in the country (no water!) was without power for two weeks.

• Love 1