Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:11 PM, saber5055 said:

I would never recognize him. He's so ... let's just say handsome ... now. Unless you'd rather use that other H word ... hot.

Brad has been my Jeopardy boyfriend from his very first game.  Back then he was pudgy, but cute.  Now he is indeed hot.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:15 AM, Katy M said:

If I ever make it to Jeopardy, I'm going to duck behind my podium and hide while I'm introduced.

I don't remember what I did, but I'm sure it was either incredibly charming or really annoying.  I probably did sway a bit, due to having to shift my weight from foot to foot.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 10:06 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wish that instead of spending a lot of time and money looking for a CURE for cancer, they could just discover/invent something that renders it inocuous, like a rash or a wart or a nagging cough.  Once it's no longer lethal, THEN they can look for a cure.

That would be good.  The problem is (and it's also why there's not a cure for cancer) that different types of cancers have different causes and act different.  But they all suck.

Fox 45 decided it was absolutely vital to let the news run long because OMG!!  IT'S RAINING!!!, so I missed the beginning of Jeopardy.  And I love Chuck Forrest.  (Not as much as I love Brad, but still, disappointed.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I probably did sway a bit, due to having to shift my weight from foot to foot.

You and your TeeVee Boyfriend Brad. I noticed Tuesday that he was riding that rolling ship again. Get the Dramamine ready for today, guys!

Edited by saber5055
To get sentence into ship shop shape.
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yikes!  That FJ was tough!  I could never have figured that one out!  I got a kick out of Brad's answer 🙂

I take comfort in the fact that I came up with the same answer as the other two (but I knew it was wrong because it wasn't 12 letters).

On 8/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Katy M said:

OTOH, If I'm playing and the category  "People named Aloysius" comes up, I'm betting 0 no matter what the other contestants have for scores.  Because I'm 100% sure I'll get it wrong.  I don't know any.

Gonzaga!!

(My high school was St Aloysius Gonzaga)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I take comfort in the fact that I came up with the same answer as the other two (but I knew it was wrong because it wasn't 12 letters).

I definitely counted out "phlogiston", was dismayed to find it was only ten letters, and then luckily did make the "fifth" - "quint" connection in time.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Bob Verini looks just like an actor I can’t remember! I can’t think of who I am picturing, anyone else think he resembles some actor?

He reminds me a little bit of Fred Gwynne.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the final game Friday. Loved Bob betting it all on the DD, even though it didn't work out for him, and I liked Eric starting at the bottom to try to catch up with the bigger clues. Brad sort ruined his "Oh, golly" regular-guy image he got from buying a second-hand pickup when he revealed he also had a Camero. Corvette next, Brad?

I thought of you @proserpina65 every time Brad swayed back and forth behind his podium. Which was constantly!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Loved Bob betting it all on the DD, even though it didn't work out for him

That was a tough one.  He was so sure he was right--as was the audience!  To be honest, I was too!

I liked all three finalists.  Brad is Brad, of course.  Eric had a nice intensity to him, and Bob had a goofiness that I really enjoyed.  It's fascinating to realize, looking back on the semi-finals, that if Leslie had bet more confidently in FJ, Brad never would have even made the finals!  On such small things does history turn...

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

That was a tough one.  He was so sure he was right--as was the audience!  To be honest, I was too!

Was that the one that wasn't Taft?  I said "Taft, but wrong year so not right."  And then he said TAft, so I said, "hey I must be right."  LOL.  

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I liked all three finalists.  Brad is Brad, of course.  Eric had a nice intensity to him, and Bob had a goofiness that I really enjoyed.  It's fascinating to realize, looking back on the semi-finals, that if Leslie had bet more confidently in FJ, Brad never would have even made the finals!  On such small things does history turn...

So much this. It could have been Ken, James and Leslie.

Brad did make an endearing remark in his interview, he really worked in a record store and was hoping someone would hire him in IT after seeing him on Jeopardy! I wonder if that happened after he won the million.

• Love 3

The 2020 College Tourney is being rerun starting today. *sigh* Why can't we get the tournament from two years ago, or a decade ago or something other than one we recently viewed. The old Brad and Ken episodes got dug out of storage and were so much fun to see, either as a refresher of the way things used to be, or something new for first-time viewers.

• Love 11

Since they brought back "firsts" (first show, first "million dollar tourney", first celebrity, etc.), why not bring back "first college tourney" (or teen, for that matter). How about when they had a "seniors (55+)" tourney? Anything that wasn't this year!

• Love 12

*sigh*

I wish we had more vault episodes!!! We've already seen stuff from the last few years, or at least it is still somewhat fresh in our memories.

Give us more past champions (esp. women) or unusual/notable games. The "time capsule" element is one of my favorite parts, especially if they are referring to something that was then recent in a clue but isn't really talked about now. It's fun having to put yourself in a "1992 mindset" or something.

EDIT: Or just give us a streaming app of every episode already!!!!

Edited by theartandsound
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

The "time capsule" element is one of my favorite parts, especially if they are referring to something that was then recent in a clue but isn't really talked about now. It's fun having to put yourself in a "1992 mindset" or something.

Like on The Match Game rerun last night, filmed some time ago, before COVID. The fill-in-the-blank clue was SOCIAL ____________ and of course, DISTANCING is the obvious answer. But not then ... it was MEDIA. No one had ever heard of Social Distancing then.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m pretty sure I said Hoover Dam the first time and I just said it again tonight. 

I don't remember what I said the first time,, other than something wrong.  But, I got it right tonight.  Whoo-hoo!

• Love 1

I had not heard the Panama Canal called "The Big Ditch," but the Erie Canal (opened 1825) was called (DeWitt) Clinton's Big Ditch. So I figured, then and today, that it was a canal, and Panama was the right time frame.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I’m pretty sure I got it right the first time, and I got it right last night, too.  I’m signed up to go there in December, but I will be surprised if the trip isn’t cancelled.

Are you going as a Contestant? Or as an audience member?  Either way, sounds like a fun trip to LA

They had to use the episode with "pandemic" as an answer (even though they were actually going for "epidemic")?

Also, I remember Sophie because I found the two giant clips on the side of her head very distracting. Petty? Yeah...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

They had to use the episode with "pandemic" as an answer (even though they were actually going for "epidemic")?

Also, I remember Sophie because I found the two giant clips on the side of her head very distracting. Petty? Yeah...

I think they're doing their normal reruns now.  They always rerun the 3 big tournaments-teen, college, and championship the last 6 weeks of summer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also, a question about John Kasich, who is  a little more in the news today than he was when this first aired. 

And yeah, those clips were... something?

• Love 1
On 8/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, Browncoat said:

I’m signed up to go there in December, but I will be surprised if the trip isn’t cancelled.

Your trip could end up being The Big Ditch for real.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Also, a question about John Kasich, who is  a little more in the news today than he was when this first aired. 

No one remembers Mr. Kasich ran for POTUS on the Republican ticket in 2016? He was my favorite out of that group. I don't think one audio/visual clip of him this week eclipses that presidential bid.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

We discussed that here the first time this tournament was aired. I believe the lock down had started then, or at least the pandemic had. Although the episode was taped before that happened.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

We discussed that here the first time this tournament was aired. I believe the lock down had started then, or at least the pandemic had. Although the episode was taped before that happened.

That feels like such a long time ago....

(Also I wasn't reading the Jeopardy forum much until more recently.)

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

No one remembers Mr. Kasich ran for POTUS on the Republican ticket in 2016? He was my favorite out of that group. I don't think one audio/visual clip of him this week eclipses that presidential bid.

Definitely remember that, but this was recorded earlier in 2020 (or late 2019?), right?  I was just commenting on how he was literally giving a speech on prime time, all networks, the night before.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Definitely remember that, but this was recorded earlier in 2020 (or late 2019?), right?  I was just commenting on how he was literally giving a speech on prime time, all networks, the night before.

Yes. It was sort of a Reverse Jeopardy Curse, only a Good Reverse Curse! I actually thought Alex would have said, "Yes, that other O state" after the first player responded "Oklahoma" and the second player got it correct. Golden chance missed.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yes. It was sort of a Reverse Jeopardy Curse, only a Good Reverse Curse! I actually thought Alex would have said, "Yes, that other O state" after the first player responded "Oklahoma" and the second player got it correct. Golden chance missed.

At first I thought that wasn’t fair, putting the abbreviation for the other “O” state in the clue (which felt like a hint), until I eventually realized the category was “OK Boomer” and all the clues included “OK”

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I eventually realized the category was “OK Boomer” and all the clues included “OK”

LOL! I didn't pay attention to the category (a problem I have) but now I can see why the first player answered "Oklahoma." Because everyone knows "Oklahoma is OK."*

*ETA: It's on their license plates, for anyone who has never driven there.

Edited by saber5055
On ‎08‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:40 PM, saber5055 said:

I enjoyed the final game Friday. Loved Bob betting it all on the DD, even though it didn't work out for him, and I liked Eric starting at the bottom to try to catch up with the bigger clues. Brad sort ruined his "Oh, golly" regular-guy image he got from buying a second-hand pickup when he revealed he also had a Camero. Corvette next, Brad?

I thought of you @proserpina65 every time Brad swayed back and forth behind his podium. Which was constantly!

I think the Camaro was the car he won on Jeopardy.  And I hadn't previously even noticed the swaying, but once you mentioned it, I couldn't not see it.  I'd still not kick him out of bed for eating crackers, but I can see how it could bug.

On ‎08‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:30 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Yikes!  That FJ was tough!  I could never have figured that one out!  I got a kick out of Brad's answer 🙂

It makes sense, having heard the phrase "quintessence of dust" in one of Shakespeare's plays, but yeah, I never would have gotten it.

I'm glad we're back to the last college tournament so that I don't feel like an idiot anymore.  Although, when I did get an answer during the Million Dollar tournament, I felt really smart.  Especially if it was one they didn't get.

On ‎08‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 2:07 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I just read Bob Harris' "Prisoner of Trebekistan" - NOW I want to watch that tournament all over again. It's amazing what a large amount of thinking goes on between the revealing of the clue and the utterance of the response.

I read it before I went out to tape my game - wished I'd followed the advice not to guess if you had no idea.  I made 2 wild guesses near the end of DJ which hurt me badly.  If I'd kept my finger off the buzzer, I might've had enough to win if I bet nothing on FJ, since we all got FJ wrong.  Maybe not, though.  Figuring that out would've involved math.

On ‎08‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:49 PM, theartandsound said:

*sigh*

I wish we had more vault episodes!!! We've already seen stuff from the last few years, or at least it is still somewhat fresh in our memories.

Give us more past champions (esp. women) or unusual/notable games. The "time capsule" element is one of my favorite parts, especially if they are referring to something that was then recent in a clue but isn't really talked about now. It's fun having to put yourself in a "1992 mindset" or something.

EDIT: Or just give us a streaming app of every episode already!!!!

I wouldn't mind watching the first tournament where Brad beat Ken.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't mind watching the first tournament where Brad beat Ken.

I'd like to see the episode where @proserpina65 might have won if she didn't make those two wild guesses.

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd still not kick him out of bed for eating crackers

There's a joke in there about Brad's swaying, but I'm not typing it here. Besides, he could eat a whole pizza in bed and I'd let him stay, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I read it before I went out to tape my game - wished I'd followed the advice not to guess if you had no idea.  I made 2 wild guesses near the end of DJ which hurt me badly.  If I'd kept my finger off the buzzer, I might've had enough to win if I bet nothing on FJ, since we all got FJ wrong.  Maybe not, though.  Figuring that out would've involved math.

That's interesting; I feel the same way about my losing game.  I sometimes find myself replaying it in my mind, trying to figure out whether, if I had not made those two or three bad guesses, I would have had enough money left to be leading by FJ (we all got it right, so basically whoever had the lead going in would have won).

• Love 4
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'd like to see the episode where @proserpina65 might have won if she didn't make those two wild guesses.

Season 25, I think, 10/30/08.  I looked last night, and I could've won if I'd not made those guesses (they weren't terrible, just wrong), and bet nothing for FJ.  Oh well, when I invent my time machine . . . . 

I'd say that Dag Hammarskjold is my nemesis since he's my standard wrong answer for Scandinavian Secretaries General of the UN, but it's really F-ing Alex F-ing Ander F-ing Graham F-ing Bell and his F-ing Ear.  Yes, I'm having that put on my gravestone.

6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

That's interesting; I feel the same way about my losing game.  I sometimes find myself replaying it in my mind, trying to figure out whether, if I had not made those two or three bad guesses, I would have had enough money left to be leading by FJ (we all got it right, so basically whoever had the lead going in would have won).

I think most people who don't win think about what they could've done differently.  I'd like to think I didn't look like an idiot, though who knows?  At least I didn't burst into tears, as much as I wanted to.

Hmmmm . . . bed pizza with Brad!

• LOL 4

Re the altered Jeopardy! FJ think music during college tournament, I think it is supposed to sound like a college marching band.  I can hear a tuba for sure, maybe trumpets too.  Just a random thought🙂

Maybe everyone else knew this already.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

Had to laugh at the Tasmanian devil question. Just this morning I was listening to the latest Ologies podcast which is all about Tasmanian devils (and the related quolls). And yes they mentioned the 40 babies but only 4 survive.

And in case you're wondering why...and what happens to the rest of the babies:

Spoiler

Mom only has four teats. (Quolls have 6.)

She eats them. 😲