Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Needing to give away any winnings over $75k was weird. Nice for charities but weird. Does anybody know the reason?

Frank's mustache was awesome.

My theory is that it had to do with the game show scandals of the  '50s.  Less money at stake, less reason to cheat?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

What I noticed is that as a 5-day champ, Chuck left with his winnings. Later, didn't "5-time must leave" champs also leave with a car?

I remember a car being a 5 time gift and when they dropped the 5 day rule, they got rid of that prize. 

Frank is still my favorite

The first episode of the week that aired after I was born! I was just a year old in 1990. :)

What was the answer (in the form of a question) to the Miss America clue? It was starting to storm outside and the TV went snowy JUST as Frank was saying it and went back to normal right as Alex said he was correct.

As a One Life to Live fan, you better damn well believe I knew that it was Leo, Walter, and Erika Slezak in that Famous Families TS--Erika was Viki! :)

Frank really is a badass gentle giant, the true bridge between Chuck Forrest and Ken Jennings in terms of iconic champions on this show. 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I live in Maryland, right in the corner between Pennsylvania and Delaware, and worked in Delaware for years.  I could've given you that answer in my sleep.  Delaware has very lenient banking and corporate tax laws, so corporations and banks love it.

I'm in Southern Maryland, 2 hours south of DC! *waves*

Brad’s Wikipedia page says he got a car after his 5 days......

Rutter retired as an undefeated 5-day champion, with $55,102 in winnings (he was also awarded a choice of Chevrolet cars of which he picked two Chevrolet Camaros; at the time, Jeopardy awarded new cars to 5-day undefeated champions). The rules were changed in 2003, before Ken Jennings' run of 74 consecutive days in 2004, which made Jennings the largest overall Jeopardy! money winner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Rutter#Jeopardy!_winnings

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, UYI said:

What was the answer (in the form of a question) to the Miss America clue? It was starting to storm outside and the TV went snowy JUST as Frank was saying it and went back to normal right as Alex said he was correct.

"What are cities?"

(The first Miss America contestants represented Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Ocean City, Camden, Newark, New York, and Philadelphia, according to Wikipedia.)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

"What are cities?"

(The first Miss America contestants represented Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Ocean City, Camden, Newark, New York, and Philadelphia, according to Wikipedia.)

Thank you! It was driving me nuts lol. 

• Love 1
On 7/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, saber5055 said:

In another 40-50 years, people are going to look back at today and laugh at what you are wearing and what you look like right now, reading this.

Nah...they'll say, "Oh, that was the year of the 'Rona Lockdown and everybody looked like crap."

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:
33 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Needing to give away any winnings over $75k was weird. Nice for charities but weird. Does anybody know the reason?

Frank's mustache was awesome.

My theory is that it had to do with the game show scandals of the  '50s.  Less money at stake, less reason to cheat?

Alex said it was a rule of "their network of record" rather than the FCC which is even stranger.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nah...they'll say, "Oh, that was the year of the 'Rona Lockdown and everybody looked like crap."

lol...I'm practically living in a couple pairs of jeans that I can't wear out of the house, let alone to work. My hair appreciates the break from the dryer, though.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You mean the "first" year of the lockdown. Or the first year of the lockdown decade.

I forgot to mention that Chuck Forrest was really rocking his John Denver hair.

I was gone today so missed the Frank episode. Does anyone know how to look for it, like a date, so I can try to find it online?

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was gone today so missed the Frank episode. Does anyone know how to look for it, like a date, so I can try to find it online?

According to IMDB, it originally aired January 15, 1990 (Episode #6.96).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, UYI said:

Frank really is a badass gentle giant,

Absolutely! He looked like he belonged in another era, not just because of his epic 'stache but because of how he spoke and carried himself. I wish we could have seen more of him.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Absolutely! He looked like he belonged in another era, not just because of his epic 'stache but because of how he spoke and carried himself. I wish we could have seen more of him.

Watch tomorrow......

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...I'm practically living in a couple pairs of jeans that I can't wear out of the house, let alone to work. My hair appreciates the break from the dryer, though.

I love not drying  my hair, especially since it's growing out. I always wanted to grow it longer, but always chickened out when it got to the "not easy to groom" stage. It's looking pretty good.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, opus said:

Brad’s Wikipedia page says he got a car after his 5 days......

Rutter retired as an undefeated 5-day champion, with $55,102 in winnings (he was also awarded a choice of Chevrolet cars of which he picked two Chevrolet Camaros; at the time, Jeopardy awarded new cars to 5-day undefeated champions). The rules were changed in 2003, before Ken Jennings' run of 74 consecutive days in 2004, which made Jennings the largest overall Jeopardy! money winner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Rutter#Jeopardy!_winnings

Facebook discussion with other former contestants informs me that they started giving cars to 5-day champs in Season 14, which would have been 1998.  It seems to have always been Chevrolets, so they must have had a deal with Chevy.  Some people recall having been given a choice between a Suburban, a Tahoe, or a Camaro.  They dropped it when they dropped the 5-game limit.

Frank is one of those champions that make you wonder how far he could have gone if the 5-day limit had not been in place.  I liked the audible gasps from the audience when he wagered first $4,000, then $7,000 on his two Daily Doubles.  They seem like relatively small amounts these days, but at the time they must have been unusually daring.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I love not drying  my hair, especially since it's growing out. I always wanted to grow it longer, but always chickened out when it got to the "not easy to groom" stage. It's looking pretty good.

I've always kept my hair on the long side; I might get it cut 4 times a year, on average. Last time was around November; kinda curious to see how long it gets by the time I'm comfortable going again. But it's pretty fine and relatively straight so it's easy to just throw in a braid or clip and be done with it.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Frank is one of those champions that make you wonder how far he could have gone if the 5-day limit had not been in place.  I liked the audible gasps from the audience when he wagered first $4,000, then $7,000 on his two Daily Doubles.  They seem like relatively small amounts these days, but at the time they must have been unusually daring.

I was thinking the same thing. "That's nothing nowadays!" (Especially after James...)

• Love 1

I guessed Wendy Wasserstein when I saw the category - she was the only woman playwright I could think of who could taken Frank out for dinner (given the NY connection).  And that must have been a great time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Heh, Women Playwrights.  I don't suppose they would have accepted, "Who was the woman who wrote Crimes Of The Heart?"  I just could not think of her name.  I never would have come up with either of the other two -- or their plays.  

5 minutes ago, opus said:

Alex’s intro hinted that he won. My onscreen guide told me he won. It still looked like for most of the show Frank was gonna lose.

I know! I was actually stressed out the entire show. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I guessed Wendy Wasserstein when I saw the category - she was the only woman playwright I could think of who could taken Frank out for dinner (given the NY connection).  And that must have been a great time. 

I didn't exactly guess Wasserstein - what I had was a series of disconnected thoughts that were Wasserstein related (an image of the Heidi Chronicles - only I couldn't remember the name of the Heidi Chronicles) and a "yeah, the woman who wrote that thing I can't quite remember."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I wish the entire 10th anniversary tournament was shown.  I recognized Brad when all the contestants came out at the end, but only him.  I couldn’t come up any “women” playwrights but I know Helman wrote before the 1980s.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I wish the entire 10th anniversary tournament was shown.  I recognized Brad when all the contestants came out at the end, but only him.  I couldn’t come up any “women” playwrights but I know Helman wrote before the 1980s.

Which Brad? Because the 10th anniversary was in 1993; Brad Rutter didn't compete for the first time until 2000. 

• Love 1

Watching Monday's episode of CJ! in 1992 will be bittersweet, as one of the very first contestants from that taping has passed away. RIP, Regis. :'( 

1 hour ago, UYI said:

Watching Monday's episode of CJ! in 1992 will be bittersweet, as one of the very first contestants from that taping has passed away. RIP, Regis. :'( 

Holy cats. It's the Jeopardy curse at work again. Only this time it's a contestant not a clue/answer. So sad to learn that news. RIP Mr. Philbin.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, UYI said:

Which Brad? Because the 10th anniversary was in 1993; Brad Rutter didn't compete for the first time until 2000. 

I swear I recognized Brad Ritter in the gang...but I guess it wasn’t him.

(edited)

For what it's worth, here's the full list of the male contestants from the 10th Anniversary Tournament, minus Frank and Tom (courtesy of the J! Archive). So, yeah, basically, one of the guys who competed may look like Brad. There used to a YouTube channel that had up the openings of the each of the TOC episodes by season with each contestant, along with the 10th Anniversary Tournament here (which I used to love watching a lot, actually; I remember almost all of these names below, along with the women) but sadly they disappeared a few years ago, which means finding this Brad lookalike the hard way, hoping his episodes are on YouTube, lol. 

Robert Slaven 

Lionel Goldbart

Mark McDermott

Doug Molitor

Roy Holliday  

Steve Rogitz

Al Lin 

Jack Mahoney

Fraser Woodford

Walt Senterfitt 

David Tiemann

Ed Schiffer 

Dennis Donohue 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I was surprised that Frank S. actually got the same question in both the episodes we saw (essentially) and missed it both times. I meant to write this when I actually saw the second episode (long story but I watched them back to back which made noticing it easier) but I forgot the question.  I also think it's a nice thing that he obviously didn't obsess about the things he got wrong, since he missed it again in the tournament.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, ams1001 said:

So the 10th anniversary tournament only had one woman in it. Interesting.

For what it's worth, they did random draws to select one player from each of the first eight ToCs for that field. Tom Nosek was an automatic as the winner of that year's ToC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

🙂

On 7/22/2020 at 9:23 AM, WI GIRL56 said:

Thanks to Seinfeld I knew the answer was 1901.  The episode when both Newman and Kramer were booking venues for the new century. One booked Dec 31, 1999 and the other Dec 31, 2000.  Then 1st one realized the new century would start on Jan 1, 2001 so he booked a year to soon. So I knew it was Jan 1, 1901.  I like to watch Alex on Classic Concentration.  He was hosting CC during the day and Jeopardy at night.

This question separates the adults from the children. I won a $1,000 bet in RL in early 2000 regarding the question of whether or not the 21st Century started on Jan 1, 2000. Of course, it didn't. And of course I chose my betting partner carefully. He paid off.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I hate Celebrity Jeopardy only because they talk and joke around too damn much and always leave lots of clues on the board.

Aside from that these three had a good showing I thought.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I hate Celebrity Jeopardy only because they talk and joke around too damn much and always leave lots of clues on the board.

Same. But I do love Carol Burnett. 

ETA: I came up with FJ just before Alex revealed the answer. When I was in 9th grade my social studies teacher had us perform a little play (just for the class, thank goodness) that she wrote about the Romanovs. (I was one of the narrators so I got to read my lines.) I'm slightly annoyed it didn't come to me quicker.

5 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ as soon as I saw all the Russian names. 

Did I mishear the Elizabeth Taylor clue? It didn’t say that A Place in the Sun was her first movie did they? 

Me too.

No it was something about her still being a teenager when she made it.

• Love 1

I just want to say that I despise my local ABC affiliate in West Palm Beach. They always start Jeopardy! about a minute early (wall clock time) so when you want to record Jeopardy! you've got to DVR Wheel of Fortune at 7 and then Jeopardy at 7:30. Then you've got to FF through WoF (unless you want to watch it) right to the very end in order to see the beginning of Jeopardy and the categories in the first round. It's not just a timing glitch; it's like that every day.

I forgot to do that this evening so of course the DVR missed the Jeopardy opening with the title card that dedicated the episode to Regis Philbin. Missed that part. Oh well, when we finally cut the cord in a couple of months it won't matter because when cable co. takes back their DVR unit everything recorded on there will go away, too. Still mad though.

4 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I just want to say that I despise my local ABC affiliate in West Palm Beach. They always start Jeopardy! about a minute early (wall clock time) so when you want to record Jeopardy! you've got to DVR Wheel of Fortune at 7 and then Jeopardy at 7:30. Then you've got to FF through WoF (unless you want to watch it) right to the very end in order to see the beginning of Jeopardy and the categories in the first round. It's not just a timing glitch; it's like that every day.

I forgot to do that this evening so of course the DVR missed the Jeopardy opening with the title card that dedicated the episode to Regis Philbin. Missed that part. Oh well, when we finally cut the cord in a couple of months it won't matter because when cable co. takes back their DVR unit everything recorded on there will go away, too. Still mad though.

Can you not set the DVR to start recording shows earlier? My DVR has options for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 15, or 30 minutes earlier. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

It got to be that way after a while. 2 words: Wolf Blitzer (although we were laughing AT him).

Tonight was the very 1st Celebrity Jeopardy! ever and they didn't do too bad, I thought. I've always liked Carol Burnett. And I only "discovered" Regis back in his "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" days. I've never watched anything else he was on, and certainly not any daytime talk shows. But I did like him on Millionaire.

Ironically, it was when they started to do "Celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire" that the show finally self-destructed. Too much yukking it up and self-promotion for a general-knowledge type quiz show. That killed it off because the ratings for that were awful. I do blame Regis for talking Norm McDonald out of a $1 million answer, however. Norm was the last celebrity contestant that week and he was really, really good. When he got up to the $1 million question he knew the answer. Regis talked him out of it. "You don't want to chance that your charity will lose out on all that money you've already got, do you?" Norm got nervous and decided to take the money, leaving the $1 million prize on the table.

3 minutes ago, opus said:

Can you not set the DVR to start recording shows earlier? My DVR has options for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 15, or 30 minutes earlier. 

It might be an option, but if it is then it's well hidden. When you confirm recording it's just a Y/N choice, there's no way to do it quickly. You might be able to bring up your scheduled recordings and tweak the start/stop times, but with Comcast it's not real easy.

• Useful 1

LOVE that they added an In Memoriam card for Regis. And I love him, always. <3

How WEIRD though that Joan Fontaine was the answer to one of the clues--her sister, Olivia de Havilland, died the day after Regis! 

• Love 6