Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got FJ before the clue was even finished, then I questioned myself. When is that shape called a panhandle, unless the pan is hanging on your wall. And if Idaho has a  panhandle, are Vermont and New Hampshire handle states? No pan, just handle.

I finally got it at the last second, but the delay was embarrassing, because I was stuck in the east not simply because Vermont and New Hampshire are there, but because for some reason that's where I was placing the Canadian border, even though a) I went to Canada via the Washington border and b) Idaho is next door (as is Washington for that matter). Good grief!

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was sort of surprised that Alex made Peter be more specific when he said Manning given the category was Archie.

I was too. I got it immediately, had a crush on Archie back in my just barely a teen days. So I felt really old when Peyton retired.

Swept the Archie and TV Teachers category (despite not having watched two of the shows).

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Do you still “dial” a phone? 

I think so.  What else are you going to call it.  Pushing the number buttons to place a call?

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Interesting to get a refresher course in, while reading here, the fact that sarcasm doesn't always come through in writing. Example: @Clanstarling, you really ARE old, crushing on Archie Manning.

Sarcasm? That's just the honest to God truth! 🤣

16 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

I had never used the word "dial" as a verb. 

I don't use "dial" anymore for the most part. I usually just say I'm calling someone. But I still use "rewind." 🙂

• LOL 2
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But I still use "rewind."

I referred to "taping" programs (when my DVR still worked), even though there was no "tape" involved. And I still call it the "return" key (instead of "enter").

• Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I referred to "taping" programs (when my DVR still worked), even though there was no "tape" involved. And I still call it the "return" key (instead of "enter").

Ah, I was trying to remember another one, and there it was right there at my fingertips. I work in computers (tangentially) and was helping a young woman...short version, I told her to hit the "return" key and she looked at me blankly. I work really hard to use "Enter" at work, but it'll always be the return key to me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I didn't get FJ.  Geography is not my thing and as soon as I saw Adriatic sea I honed in on Italy and all I could think of was all roads leading to Rome and so I ended up saying the Roman Road.

I got the TS of Chase and Jack Reacher.  I got the entire category of verb names right.

• Love 1

I'm assuming Meggie's mother was a big Thorn Birds fan.

I'd like the odds of at least the second-place finisher here to make it into the next round, and even the third-place guy got a very solid number.

• Love 1

The enter key on my (old) computer's keyboard says both "enter" and "return".

I had to think way too long about tonight's FJ.  I almost couldn't figure it out until I remembered the category name, then it came to me instantly.  

I also got Chase, Madonna, and eidetic.  

And I suspect Man-bun thinks more highly of his man-bun than his students do.  Too bad they'll be disappointed not to see it unfurled this year.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ.  Geography is not my thing and as soon as I saw Adriatic sea I honed in on Italy and all I could think of was all roads leading to Rome and so I ended up saying the Roman Road.

I got the TS of Chase and Jack Reacher.  I got the entire category of verb names right.

I've always thought of the Iron Curtain as a political term so I had no clue about the geography. I couldn't believe they missed David Bowie and Madonna. I was inspired to hear Mr Blue Sky.

• Love 2
On 5/25/2020 at 7:02 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ, though I never thought of that as a panhandle.

I have started watching MasterMinds on the game show network and the other night they had the question, "Which US state is the only one with two panhandles?" Even Ken Jennings missed it! One panhandle goes north and south and the other east to west. West Virginia!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, I was trying to remember another one, and there it was right there at my fingertips. I work in computers (tangentially) and was helping a young woman...short version, I told her to hit the "return" key and she looked at me blankly. I work really hard to use "Enter" at work, but it'll always be the return key to me.

Did I miss something? When did it stop being the return key? My laptop, which I bought in 2017, says "return" only. I have seen both 'return' and 'enter' on various keyboards throughout my life, but I don't think 'return' is obsolete.

• Love 2

Meggie reminds me of someone, but I can't figure out who.

The chase TS surprised me; I think they just hadn't grasped the category yet since it was the first one.  The Madonna TS, though; before their time, but come on - not one of the three?  I was not expecting that (but I was sure David Bowie was going to be a TS).  Eidetic was a bit surprising, too; I thought that term was better known, especially with the letters spotted by the category.

Another good game, which is a relief since the Teacher's Tournament games have been spotty over the past several years.  We may well see all three of them in the next round.  (I wouldn't have predicted that in the beginning, as Sam had a couple of wrong answers that raised my eyebrow, but it wound up being a well-matched group.

I was afraid of the Royalty and Page to Screen categories, but wound up getting all in the former and only missing one in the latter, so it was a great first round for me; the only other clue I missed was fern (even with all the extra time, I couldn't come up with it).  But in DJ, I missed several Shakespeare clues and a couple in Canadian Places.  The former was not surprising, but I'm usually very good with geography.  FJ was an instaget again (two in a row - good for me).  So, not anywhere near my perfect game goal, but a good showing.

Was the Teacher’s Tournament originally supposed to air later in the year and they moved it up to now? I’m just wondering why they are making such a big deal that it’s a NEW Jeopardy!, when the episodes last week were also new and there was no voiceover or chyron announcing that. 🧐

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Eidetic was a bit surprising, too; I thought that term was better known, especially with the letters spotted by the category.

I've certainly heard of it, but I couldn't remember the word.

24 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Was the Teacher’s Tournament originally supposed to air later in the year and they moved it up to now? I’m just wondering why they are making such a big deal that it’s a NEW Jeopardy!, when the episodes last week were also new and there was no voiceover or chyron announcing that. 🧐

I think they're making a big deal out of it because so many shows are not new these days. I kind of like being reminded that they're new because I'm expecting reruns, what with the pandemic.

The only TS I got was ear-piercing.

I couldn't figure out FJ. Even in hindsight I don't see it as obvious.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I totally botched it - I immediately thought Berlin Wall - knew that was wrong, but blanked on Iron Curtain......... despite fact that I actually traveled to the border between East & West Germany in the 80s. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

My first thought was some sort of wall...Hadrian’s Wall... no, that’s in the UK...Berlin Wall... no, it has to be metaphorical, but Eastern Europe... oh!  Iron Curtain!  All that in about five seconds.

• Love 5

I'm probably alone in having this immediately in my head, but I got Final Jeopardy because the clue mirrored Churchill's speech which popularized the term:  "From Stettin in the Baltic, to Trieste in the Adriatic, an Iron Curtain has descended across the continent."

Maybe you have to be as devoted to doing bad Churchill impressions as I am to remember that speech. 😃

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My first thought was some sort of wall...Hadrian’s Wall... no, that’s in the UK.

That was my first thought too, then I went to Maginot Line.  My brain just did not go in the direction of the Iron Curtain.  Perhaps if I had thought more about it being a metaphor I might have got it but certainly not in time.

I did get the ts's of Stratford (Ontario) and eidetic - I got that one from TBBT - I had only heard it called photographic memory up until then.

My return/enter key has just an arrow on it.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think way too long about tonight's FJ.  I almost couldn't figure it out until I remembered the category name, then it came to me instantly.  

I also got Chase, Madonna, and eidetic.  

And I suspect Man-bun thinks more highly of his man-bun than his students do.  Too bad they'll be disappointed not to see it unfurled this year.

Ah, one of the transitional computers. 😉

Yeah, I can't imagine that many kids are interested in his man bun.

12 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I've always thought of the Iron Curtain as a political term so I had no clue about the geography. I couldn't believe they missed David Bowie and Madonna. I was inspired to hear Mr Blue Sky.

As a military brat who spent a lot of time next to the Iron Curtain, I got it right away. Though the most memorable reference I've ever heard was during the Carter/Ford presidential debates. I forget exactly what was said, but I remember Carter's big grin when Ford botched it.

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

Did I miss something? When did it stop being the return key? My laptop, which I bought in 2017, says "return" only. I have seen both 'return' and 'enter' on various keyboards throughout my life, but I don't think 'return' is obsolete.

I don't work on laptops and haven't seen "return" on a keyboard in a very long time. My daughter's laptop (roughly the same age as yours) says "Enter". It's an Apple product - I think It probably depends on the manufacturer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

don't work on laptops and haven't seen "return" on a keyboard in a very long time. My daughter's laptop (roughly the same age as yours) says "Enter". It's an Apple product - I think It probably depends on the manufacturer.

The keyboard on our Apple Desktop at work says return.  But, it's probably 20 years old.  We don't use it for that much.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

... Eidetic was a bit surprising, too; I thought that term was better known, especially with the letters spotted by the category.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've certainly heard of it, but I couldn't remember the word.

All I could think of was Sheldon Cooper's memory but couldn't get the word out in time.

• Love 5

I read FJ as a general comparison, like if you took all the cars in the world and laid them end to end they would reach the moon (or whatever). So saying if this particular thing existed it would stretch from the Baltic to the Adriatic didn't get me thinking that it would actually be positioned there. My bad. My real bad.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

My real bad.

Creative, though.  One of my college courses had a segment on making realistic estimates, such as how many cars in a total traffic jam from point A to point B, or how many blades of grass on the playing field.  The important part was showing your work.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

That was my first thought too, then I went to Maginot Line.

Me too! but then I thought the Maginot Line was real and also farther west, so then I thought it was the communist divider that I couldn't think of for a second and then the Iron Curtain popped in at the last second. Whew!

• Love 1

I missed hearing the category for FJ.  I think I might have gotten it otherwise, but we'll never know.  I remember reading about Churchill's speech where he used the term; the speech was at a lesser-known college, Westminster in Fulton, Missouri, in 1946.

I knew eidetic because a character on Criminal Minds, Spencer Reid, had it.

My keyboard has a symbol for return kind of like this, <---I but also has the word, "Enter" on it.  It's old, though.  Like probably 8 or 9 years.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Odd because the keyboard I'm using now (Mac extended) has both an enter and return key. Enter jumps the text to the next column and is in the extended part, return ends that line and text is continued on the line below. That key is above the shift on the main keyboard.

I learned to type on a machine that had no return or enter key, you put your left hand up and shoved that lever to return the platen and move to the next line.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I bet they still will see it. Zoom graduation plus drive bys are happening. My sixth-grade teacher made a big deal that he would drink a raw egg on the last day of school. It was a HUGE event that we all looked forward to and talked about it forever. Like now, and it's been a couple years since I was in sixth.

ETA: I really very much like man buns. Of all kinds.

I went through all the thinking processes described above and came up with Iron Curtain. This time I was positive I was correct. Two FJs in a row for me this week. *knock wood so as not to jinx me*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

All I could think of was Sheldon Cooper's memory but couldn't get the word out in time.

yes, Big Bang is one of my go to escapism shows. I watched a rerun where Sheldon's memory was discussed during lunch, so "eidetic" was fresh in my mind. I've probably watched every episode a dozen time, and yet still have DVR Set to record the reruns (right now TBSHD is playing back to back reruns pretty much nightly - just checked & I have 21 unwatched episodes)

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I learned to type on a machine that had no return or enter key, you put your left hand up and shoved that lever to return the platen and move to the next line.

Same!  The machine I learned on also had no letters printed on the keys.  Supposedly, that would dissuade you from looking at your fingers while you typed.  And it worked!  Until that awkward moment when you sat down and promptly put your fingers on the wrong "home" keys.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Until that awkward moment when you sat down and promptly put your fingers on the wrong "home" keys.  

I do that now; it's so irritating. All of the letters except a couple have been worn off of my keyboard. If I am looking for a certain letter, I don't have a clue where it is unless I have both hands in "position." THEN I can locate the letter I am searching for.

Weird. But proof I don't have eidetic keyboard memory. Although I did answer that question/clue without the benefit of Sheldon Cooper. So there's that.

Edited by saber5055
51 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Odd because the keyboard I'm using now (Mac extended) has both an enter and return key. Enter jumps the text to the next column and is in the extended part, return ends that line and text is continued on the line below. That key is above the shift on the main keyboard.

Now why did you remind me of how old I am. I had forgotten the mechanism of changing lines, but still remember the "ding!"

10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Same!  The machine I learned on also had no letters printed on the keys.  Supposedly, that would dissuade you from looking at your fingers while you typed.  And it worked!  Until that awkward moment when you sat down and promptly put your fingers on the wrong "home" keys.  

Blank keys!?   Yikes. I did just fine with letters. I am a pretty fast typist. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm probably alone in having this immediately in my head, but I got Final Jeopardy because the clue mirrored Churchill's speech which popularized the term:  "From Stettin in the Baltic, to Trieste in the Adriatic, an Iron Curtain has descended across the continent."

Maybe you have to be as devoted to doing bad Churchill impressions as I am to remember that speech. 😃

That's what helped me with the answer, remembering Churchill's speech

• Love 2
(edited)

I got FJ. I really wanted to say the Gingerbread Man, but Alex's dramatic reading sounded more like the Giant in Jack and the Beanstalk.

I got the TS of Sarah Gilbert, C.S. Lewis, Po, and grog.

I got the entire category of say it in French right.

Miraculously I only missed the $1K clue in geography.  I don't think that's ever happened before.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

Tonight's FJ was so much of an instaget, I finished writing it before Alex finished reading the clue.  And good on the middle guy -- he's from not too far from where I live.  The local news did a piece on him last night.

I also got ellipse, elver, C.S. Lewis, Po River, grog, and Sara Gilbert.  I would like to thank all the crossword puzzles for elver!  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of Sarah Gilbert, C.S. Lewis, Po, and grog.

Me too except for grog. I seem to have a problem that when the clue says 4 letters, I think- 4 syllables. I don't know why but it's happened to me again and again.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Me too except for grog. I seem to have a problem that when the clue says 4 letters, I think- 4 syllables. I don't know why but it's happened to me again and again.

Sometimes I do the same thing with letters and words, or syllables and words.

• Love 1

Alex was probably bummed none of the Say It in French clues were TS.  In fact, I'm surprised that by the end of the category, he didn't just go ahead and repeat someone's correct answer back so he could use the accent (like he later did with Avignon).

The Ellipse TS really surprised me. 

Erin Andrews surprised me a little bit; I don't watch Dancing With the Stars, but guessed her figuring she's one of the very few female sports reporters J! would ever ask about.  I would've thought DWTS was popular enough one of them would know her from there. 

I am clearly never going to achieve a perfect game when there is any sort of modern pop culture category present; I only knew Mariah Carey among the recent hits clues.  I managed to know (or at least correctly guess) all the TV personalities, though.  But I missed several other clues in DJ.  And I had no idea on FJ; I didn't go for many fairy tales as a kid, and I've forgotten most of them.  Alex's line reading didn't help me.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Alex was probably bummed none of the Say It in French clues were TS.

😄 I was thinking that, too!

The Ellipse TS really surprised me. 

Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't get it. 😞

Erin Andrews surprised me a little bit; I don't watch Dancing With the Stars, but guessed her figuring she's one of the very few female sports reporters J! would ever ask about.  I would've thought DWTS was popular enough one of them would know her from there.

I've watched DWTS only four times, perhaps, in its entire run. For the woman cohost, I was picturing another woman who, I presume, is no longer with the show. 

For TSs, I got Po and Sara Gilbert. I nearly got elver. I said elvin.

But I did get FJ. Not even Teen Tournament-level.

Edited by peeayebee
Just had to fix "it's."
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Two FJs in a row for me this week. *knock wood so as not to jinx me*

JINX. I got stuck between Rumpelstiltskin and Rapunzel for FJ. Yeah, I know those were "Let down your hair" and spinning straw into gold, but I couldn't move past them.

I was working while this episode was on so wasn't paying all that much attention. But I did get Justin Bieber, one TS. Seems like Post Malone was a TS as well. I'll be up on things when/if they do a clue about Tekashi 6ix9ine.

Since I've been watching reruns of the old Roseanne show, Darlene Conner successfully blocked my brain from coming up with Sara Gilbert in time.

• LOL 1

I do not understand the FJ wagering of the two women tonight. The only way they could possibly continue in the competition is if they get one of the wild card slots, which they will only get if they have one of the four highest totals. So what do they do? They do not bet everything for the maximum. 🧐🙄 WHY!? They are not playing for second or third place. I hope neither of them make it in just because bad wagering is the one thing that annoys me more than anything else on this show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I visualized the European map, the positioning of the Adriatic and Baltic did the trick. Like Clanstarling, I was a military brat who lived in West Germany during the Cold War, so once I had the geography sorted, it was easy peasy. 

"brat"? 

(edited)

image.thumb.png.b185768444d427d03e01be3a114e0b23.pngNote from the writers room: Katherine Johnson passed away on the day this episode was taped. The writers added this clue to the game to honor her legacy. NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration  

This clue was the $2,000 clue in DJ in the category, "Women's First,"  on Tuesday, May 26.  The explanatory note, "from the writers room" was posted on facebook yesterday.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

"brat"? 

Yep, that's what we call ourselves. I use military brat because my father served in two branches, some say Army brat, etc. But we're all brats.

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I said port. Sigh..

My husband was stymied by Ellipse because the photo looked more like a circle than an ellipse. I was just stymied.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

My husband was stymied by Ellipse because the photo looked more like a circle than an ellipse. I was just stymied.

I forgot what I said, but I definitely didn't say ellipse and it definitely was stupid.  I wish I could remember, because it was really stupid.  It had to begin with an E, right?  I'll have to think really long and hard and maybe I'll remember.

• Love 1