Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

So can someone explain why the date in Sept was supposed to lead to the answer of “quid pro quo”? September feels like decades ago but I don’t know what that is referring to. I was trying to think of some kind of three word political thing but couldn’t come up with anything. 

The scandal of Trump withholding money from Ukraine until it dug up dirt on Biden (a quid pro quo) reached public attention in mid-September 2019 due to a whistleblower complaint made in August 2019. Trump's subsequent impeachment was based on this quid pro quo.

It was kinda big in the news.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

September 25, 2019 is when it was announced the House would launch impeachment proceedings against Trump (re. a quid pro quo arrangement where approved military aid would only actually be delivered if Ukraine dug up dirt on Joe Biden).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ah ok. Now I remember hearing people mentioning the Ukraine but that’s about it. I guess the phrase just didn’t stick out to me, I never would have made the connection.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I almost forgot -- GENRE!!!!!

I usually handwave the complaints about his pronunciation - but when he announced the Literary Genre category, I laughed and said "clearing your throat, Alex?"

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was one of the 5,500 percent who searched for the definition of FJ, so this was an easy answer for me.

I go to Merriam-Websiter online at work when I want to take a mental break and play a word game (shhh!). I knew what it meant, but since they list the most searched words on the homepage, it was in my face every day. (again, shhh!)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

16 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was wondering if he would be allowed to just say "Stephens."

Darrin.

Except, the category was "Famous people named Alex" (or something like that), so "Alexander/Alex" is implied. Now, if the clue referred to Jason Alexander, you could not get away with just "Alexander"--you'd have to supply the first name.

• Love 3

Hurray for the Indiana winner!!  Will be rooting for him, my alma mater.   He did great.

I didn't get FJ.  Whatever.  That's a topical one, it either comes to you or not.  I couldn't figure out what they were referring to.  I didn't recall it being September specifically when anything significant happened with the impeachment.  It all kind of blurs together and plus now with the quarantine its like ancient history

Plus, don't most people pretty well know what quid pro quo means?  I don't know the exact latin translation but generally know the meaning where I wouldn't be going to look it up on google like I was clueless about it

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't get FJ.  Whatever.  That's a topical one, it either comes to you or not.

That pretty much describes all FJs. They either come to you or they don't.

4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Plus, don't most people pretty well know what quid pro quo means?  I don't know the exact latin translation but generally know the meaning where I wouldn't be going to look it up on google like I was clueless about it

Obviously not, since the phrase got 5,500 percent increase in look ups. And since I'm one of the clueless, the facts and I declare your comment not true. Although I've never considered myself "most people," so there's that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That pretty much describes all FJs. They either come to you or they don't.

Obviously not, since the phrase got 5,500 percent increase in look ups. And since I'm one of the clueless, the facts and I declare your comment not true. Although I've never considered myself "most people," so there's that.

The I am surprised more people don't know what quid pro quo means and even if I had thought of the impeachment trial, then I still would not have got it. 

Further recalling not only the impeachment happened last year but also that part of it came to fruition specifically in August/September and being able to pick out the specific phrase they are referring to based solely on the date of Sept 25th.........this was a pretty specifically dated and topical question that you could pretty much only ask now or in the next few months.  You couldn't ask this exact same question in 10 years and expect people to know the answer.  This is like a "what I am thinking about for this very specific date" question.  Its not like September 25th is a date like 9/11 or D Day or Pearl Harbor or July 4th that is ever going to carry any historical significant around this fiasco or that anyone should really be able to pick out as being specifically associated with the impeachment.  Hence why its much more "get ir or you don't "question.  They gave very little context of significance, much less than many questions, even for FJ. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, SeanC said:

I laughed at them having the Deuteronomy category when one of the three players is from Liberty University, and indeed she cleaned up in that one.

The player from Indiana should have got Jordan River. 

There is a "Jordan river" on the IU campus.  Its more like a little stream, runs right through the middle of the best part of campus, but lots of jokes about it being like the river in the mideast

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought it was weird that Alex wanted Tyler to say the two words in the homophone category. 

I know, right? Since homophones are pronounced exactly the same. Duh-Duh.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to root against the Liberty University girl on principle.  I despise the president of that "university" so much (and his father, and especially recently), and his students by proxy.  I am thrilled that she lost, and lost big.

On principle, I agree.  However, I worked with a young woman in a retail shop who graduated from there.  She was in high school when I worked with her.  She is truly a lovely person, if horribly misguided, IMHO.  Not all the grads drank the kool-aid, but they do tend to skew to the far right.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It was kinda big in the news.

An understatement, but I watch a lot of CNN and the like; it was impossible to escape on certain news outlets.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Hurray for the Indiana winner!!  Will be rooting for him, my alma mater.   He did great.

Meh.  My DD's a Purdue grad. :-)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I watch a lot of CNN and the like; it was impossible to escape on certain news outlets.

Such as ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. And certain radio stations that don't strictly play pop music.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Meh.  My DD's a Purdue grad. 🙂

My favorite should be the U of F gal, but I love the guy from Yale and he is from Miami anyway. Cannot root for the Old Miss girl....we are Mississippi State fans!!

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Meh.  My DD's a Purdue grad. 🙂

So's my husband. 🙂

Predisposed to be against Liberty University, but the player herself, I thought, showed she had a sense of humor about herself and seemed gracious in her loss. 

• Love 2
On 4/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, Thalia said:

@labresq -- I don't believe this.  Since the coronavirus press conference wasn't on just now I turned to channel 17 and they are airing an episode of JUDGE JUDY!  Out of curiosity, I looked to see if it had aired earlier and been picked up by the DVR.  Yep.  and the first half of today's episode was preempted by a press conference by Governor Lee.  

So who knows when they are going air episodes these days. 

I have started recording whatever comes on at 11:30 but didn't stop recording the 5:00 one so on Thursday I was first upset that the 11:30 recording was not Jeopardy! but then I checked the 5:00 and got to see the double Jeopardy! round.  But then on Friday, it wasn't on either time so grrrr.  So frustrating.  

46 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm so happy my local station just puts the 45 Press Briefing on their website and keeps their programming intact.

I'm fortunate that on the West Coast (at least in our area) it doesn't interfere at all.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, labresq said:

I have started recording whatever comes on at 11:30 but didn't stop recording the 5:00 one so on Thursday I was first upset that the 11:30 recording was not Jeopardy! but then I checked the 5:00 and got to see the double Jeopardy! round.  But then on Friday, it wasn't on either time so grrrr.  So frustrating.  

I'm calling the station tomorrow morning and complaining.  This is making me so angry.  I have a friend who must keep her TV on channel 17, and she said it aired at 3:30 on Friday.  Grrrrr indeed! 

On 4/12/2020 at 2:16 PM, Thalia said:

I'm calling the station tomorrow morning and complaining.  This is making me so angry.  I have a friend who must keep her TV on channel 17, and she said it aired at 3:30 on Friday.  Grrrrr indeed! 

It's on tonight at 5!  

• Love 1
On 4/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, Etta Place said:

They are the Cardinal, singular. It's the color, not the bird, which is why they don't have an official mascot and instead have the Tree.

Clearly I was very distracted by the Tree.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:58 PM, Browncoat said:

I had to root against the Liberty University girl on principle.  I despise the president of that "university" so much (and his father, and especially recently), and his students by proxy.  I am thrilled that she lost, and lost big.

Me, too.  One of my cousin's kids goes there - fortunately, despite being overly religious, my cousin is okay, and had the sense to keep his kid home after spring break.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:58 PM, Katy M said:

did not get final.  Last September feels like at least a century ago.

Yep, I completely whiffed that one.

• Love 2

I got FJ.  I got the TS of overture, bail (second choice) and Dracula.

I got the entire categories of Greek letters, UN, crossword clues P, Bill of Rights, and Road Scholar. 

I had a great game.  

• Love 2

I'm really surprised Beni missed FJ!  He seemed to have such a wide store of knowledge.  I admit that until I read the entire clue, I thought "karma", but after reading the entire clue, I knew immediately it was reincarnation.  I expected all of the contestants to get it.

I missed most of the game -- from the scores at the end, it looked like a good one!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I missed most of the game -- from the scores at the end, it looked like a good one!

Even Alex said it was a good game. He even gave Beni the "Whoa!" after Beni's big DD wager.

36 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Did I mishear Beni’s story or did he say the people in their 50s are considered Seniors?! Because, that’s just hurtful :-). 

Actually, Beni gave "seniors" a big kudo by saying it's difficult to beat them at trivia, so his interview was about his trivia team actually beating them* at a trivia night last week.

*By "them," I mean those oldsters called seniors.

• Love 1

The bail TS surprised me, as did overtures a little, but that was a great game.  It would have been ever better if Kayla had won. 

I ran the first round, but didn't come close in DJ; I didn't know the musketeer or Sirius Black, and only knew one clue in the set list category.  FJ was an instaget, which I was certainly not expecting based on the category.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

My reincarnation (the correct answer) was resurrected (my answer) instead. 

I said resurrection, completely disregarding the key word of Eastern in the clue.

Made me feel not so smart. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well, perhaps Beni interpreted Eastern as Eastern European. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It would have been even better if Kayla had won. 

Well, my father and I are big fans of the Gators, so I wanted her to win too.  

• Love 2

well that was an exciting game.  And the Indiana student moves on to the finals!  The two DDs sure helped him out.  I too was surprised Beni missed FJ.  I was thinking karma the whole time, but duh, reincarnation makes much more sense. 

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

My reincarnation (the correct answer) was resurrected (my answer) instead.  😞  Still, a better answer than "Orthodox"

I said "oh that's easy" - resurrection was in my head (Easter was Sunday after all), but I managed to pull it around to reincarnation in time.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Did I mishear Beni’s story or did he say the people in their 50s are considered Seniors?! Because, that’s just hurtful :-). 

That's when I started getting AARP stuff in the mail. 😪 But the discounts don't start until you're in your 60's - not that they amount to much. Heck, when I was Beni's age I remember thinking I was going to be really, really old at the turn of the century (45, that's how old).

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The bail TS surprised me

I confidently said fines.

The only TS I got was Dracula.

FJ seemed too easy to me, so I was surprised Beni missed it (as well as many of youse guys).

• Love 1

That was a very good game.  I would have been pleased if any one of them had won; they all seem like great kids.

Only one ts for me, overture.

Not quite an instaget FJ but it came to me pretty quickly.

• Love 4

I don't know Latin (Spanish yes, Latin no) but I do have an interest in eastern religion and have often contemplated reincarnation. Couldn't believe I got another FJ correct. Surely the earth will shatter any day now. (But don't blame me if it does, okay?)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I don't know Latin (Spanish yes, Latin no) but I do have an interest in eastern religion and have often contemplated reincarnation. Couldn't believe I got another FJ correct. Surely the earth will shatter any day now. (But don't blame me if it does, okay?)

You will come back as a Dog? 🙂

• LOL 3

I really liked all 3 in their games so I was disappointed that they all played each other!   The winner had a slow start and I really though Benji/Beni?  was going to win in the end.  

• Love 2

I went to Africa on FJ, for whatever reason.  I said Sierra Leone.  

I got the TS of brownout, Fiat, John Quincy Adams and Titanic. 

I got the entire categories of potpourri, history and second right.

• Love 1

I had to think for about a half-second for FJ -- the name of the town looked like a Spanish word, so I went to South America, and then cartographic feature led me to the equator and Ecuador.  Good for me.

I also got brownout, fiat, composed them (on a wild guess), Titanic, Coral Gables, and London.  

Good game tonight. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think for about a half-second for FJ -- the name of the town looked like a Spanish word, so I went to South America, and then cartographic feature led me to the equator and Ecuador.  Good for me.

I went through the same thought process, but ended up with Costa Rica.

• Love 5

Once Alex explained it, FJ made a lot of sense.

Translation: I had not a clue before said explanation.

Looks like I'm making up for my 5 for 5 last week.

I did get brownout, pagan, and Titanic.

• Love 3

I was rooting for her anyway, but between Joe writing his name as a cup of coffee and Nibir doing that damned "all in" move again, I was really rooting for Londyn.  Alas, I'm 0-2 on getting my wish in the semifinals.

I'm surprised brownout was a TS; I'd have thought the wrong guess would lead one of the others to it.  Fiat was a little surprising, with three definitions to point them to it, and none of them guessing Titanic for a "doomed liner" in an $800 clue was downright odd.

"What does ante- mean?" has no place in DJ.

I didn't know the Harry Potter book (I knew it was a Harry Potter book, as I know platform 9-3/4 is Harry Potter, but that's it), or any of the Fantastical Substances clues other than my correct guess of Titanic, so not my best game.  FJ was an instaget, so at least I finished on a high note.

38 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got brown-out, Titanic, and London.

I did not get FJ. I could only think of a river being the feature, then Rio... nah.

I knew fiat brownout Titanic and London.