Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did I mishear, or did the sophomore from Yale say: "Yes. I've very undecisive."? Yeesh! 

As to FJ, apparently the writers forgot it was the College tournament and gave a clue that was Toddler tournament level.

• Love 5
On 4/6/2020 at 12:51 PM, bad things are bad said:

Anyone who counts, who is of taste, breeding and education, knows this song 🙂

~Snicker snort~heh heh. Can't wait to read this to Mr. Go Blue. Oy...August will be here way too soon bringing that tune into my once peaceful Saturdays again.

• LOL 1

I got FJ.  That was an easy one.

I got the TS of swords, arrhythmia, Watership Down, run it up the flagpole and Sense and Sensibility.   I got the entire category of Braodway plays right, which I find crazy.

• Love 1

I was foolishly worried about the category of American History for FJ tonight.  History is generally not my strong suit.  But this was such an insta-get, I finished writing it down before Alex finished reading it -- and I spelled out Massachusetts.

Lots of TS tonight, too.  I got Evangeline, swords, arrhythmia, Watership Down, ridiculous, run it up the flagpole, and Sense and Sensibility.

• Love 1

What kind of pants was that girl on the end wearing?  Looked like they came up to her chest.  Was very distracting. 

The Swords clue made me think of SNL Jeopardy with Sean Connery.  that's "S words"

And I am a night late, but on Mondays show the girl that had an "interest" in law, medicine, politics......the list went on and on.  So annoying.  That doesn't make you interesting.  that means you can't make a decision what to do with your life. 

• LOL 4

Personally, I think the FJ should have required the state of MASSACHUSETTS.  There are towns named Salem in various other states(I know that the Witch Trials were specifically in Mass. but still)

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Personally, I think the FJ should have required the state of MASSACHUSETTS.  There are towns named Salem in various other states(I know that the Witch Trials were specifically in Mass. but still)

It asked for the name of the town - period. The name of the town is Salem. But I see your point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
36 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It asked for the name of the town - period. The name of the town is Salem. But I see your point.

Yeah, they didn't stop killing witches in Salem, Oregon until the late 1800s.

Anyone else a little creeped out by the "pandemic" clue/answer?

I like that these players appear to have watched James and are using his strategy by starting at the bottom, which I like.

I also get a kick out of everyone wearing their school sweatshirts. Way to overcome the problem of what to wear on national teevee, something that would be a huge prob for me.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

"Arrhythemia"??? He said 10 letters and I saw her counting on her fingers.  Plus, who pronounces arrhythmia that way anyway? I thought everyone read Evangeline in 7th or 8th grade. 

Never heard of Evangeline?

But yes, the pronunciation was bad, especially for a pre-med student.  Then again, I was predisposed to dislike her as soon as she stated her reason for going to Spain was because she is pre-med (i.e. to pad her resume/application).

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought everyone read Evangeline in 7th or 8th grade. 

Obviously, just old people did that way back when, Before Their Time.

34 minutes ago, lb60 said:

At least none of them annoyed me. lol 

Excuse me while I take my heart attack meds! JK of course. Maybe.

• LOL 5

When Nathaniel answered "pandemic" and Alex said - we'll accept that, I turned to my husband and said I wonder what they were looking for. Maybe epidemic? But these days pandemic was the first thing I thought of. 

• Love 6
(edited)
19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I am a night late, but on Mondays show the girl that had an "interest" in law, medicine, politics......the list went on and on.  So annoying.  That doesn't make you interesting.  that means you can't make a decision what to do with your life.

There's nothing wrong with that at her age.  She's about to possess a degree from a prestigious university, has a wide variety of interests, and will, as she pursues further education and/or gains work experience, hone in on a smaller list of them to pursue as she goes through life.  Good for her.

Same with Mr. "Undecisive" from tonight changing majors several times.

Interesting that tonight's game had a Florida and a Florida St. student (I'm sure rival schools in one match have happened before, too) and the Yale student was from Florida, too.

I like the pre-med student picking the film category clue to start the second round after Alex said he bet he knew where she was going to go, and then moving onto Health & Medicine only after that - seems a deliberate response, and I enjoyed it.  But I can't believe she can't pronounce arrhythmia!  She must have only ever seen it written, not heard it said, which surprises me.

No surprise they all got FJ, and indeed all finished writing before Alex was done reading the clue; that clue was not at all befitting FJ.

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When Nathaniel answered "pandemic" and Alex said - we'll accept that, I turned to my husband and said I wonder what they were looking for. Maybe epidemic?

I think so; pandemic is a more specific term (it's broader in scope, basically an epidemic that has spread across countries or even continents to become a pandemic), and not indicated by the clue, but also not ruled out by it, so they accepted it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else a little creeped out by the "pandemic" clue/answer?

Yeah. It's weird when a clue is something currently in the news.

I like that these players appear to have watched James and are using his strategy by starting at the bottom, which I like.

I noticed that, too. I wondered why the college students do it, but the 'regular' contestants don't.

In addition to FJ (which was insultingly easy) I got swords, arrhythmia, Watership Down, ridiculous, run it up the flagpole, and Sense and Sensibility.

Nathaniel reminded me of Ta-Nehisi Coates.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I also get a kick out of everyone wearing their school sweatshirts. Way to overcome the problem of what to wear on national teevee, something that would be a huge prob for me.

I thought the college tournament contestants always wore their school sweatshirts, at least as long as I remember.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I thought the college tournament contestants always wore their school sweatshirts, at least as long as I remember.

Yes, they always have, and probably always will. Which doesn't change me getting a kick out of them not having to buy a new wardrobe to appear on the show, which was the point of my original post.

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Yeah. It's weird when a clue is something currently in the news.

At least no one has died from the Jeopardy Curse for a long while. *knock wood*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Did I mishear, or did the sophomore from Yale say: "Yes. I've very undecisive."? Yeesh!

Yup, from the couch I said "maybe you should take an English class." Though if I try to be more kind, maybe he was going to say uncertain and switched over to indecisive, and misspoke.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, they didn't stop killing witches in Salem, Oregon until the late 1800s.

Some of our legislators up there probably regret that.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

There's nothing wrong with that at her age.  She's about to possess a degree from a prestigious university, has a wide variety of interests, and will, as she pursues further education and/or gains work experience, hone in on a smaller list of them to pursue as she goes through life.  Good for her.

Absolutely. She has an inquiring mind, and the place to explore that is college. When I took my kid on her college tour and read through all the courses, I wanted a do-over, because I focused in college. Lit major, which amusingly, did actually give me a career. So there.

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

At least no one has died from the Jeopardy Curse for a long while. *knock wood*

Counting down to a Bill Withers or Kenny Rodgers question.... (RIP)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When Nathaniel answered "pandemic" and Alex said - we'll accept that, I turned to my husband and said I wonder what they were looking for. Maybe epidemic? But these days pandemic was the first thing I thought of. 

Yes, I suspect that "epidemic" was what they were going for.  Both words fit the clue (the "-demic" part, from the Greek "demos" meaning "people," is what the clue was referencing), so it was appropriate that they accepted it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Or now, sadly, John Prine.

I didn't mention him because I just heard the news and it was too soon. 😪

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually gasped out loud when no one knew Sense and Sensibility. Kids today. 

And I gasped when I actually picked the right one! Boomers these days. <just kidding>

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I liked Nathaniel best of the three so I'm glad he won.  And Kayla is quite likely to get in on a wild card.

Instaget FJ.  I would have put MA after Salem.

Yes, the pandemic answer was a little eerie.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually gasped out loud when no one knew Sense and Sensibility. Kids today. 

If you had been watching at my house, you might have actually passed out from gasping/lack of air/total shock. So, good for you (!) that you were not.

7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Or now, sadly, John Prine.

My radio station started playing his music over night, and more this a.m. He was from a Chicago suburb, Maywood.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I was briefly distracted, so FJ was not an instaget, but as soon as I paid attention to FINCH!!!!  I immediately knew Harper Lee.  Have I mentioned how much I like the College Tournament?  (Watch me eat my words tomorrow night...)

I also got the TS of swans, California, Red Bull, Seder, and Jupiter.  I'm a little surprised that college students didn't know Red Bull, and the UCSD guy really should have known California.

• Love 4

Finch made me think bird, which made me think mockingbird, so I got FJ, but a total guess.

I got the TS of swans, Red Bull, flashlight and Jupiter.

I got the entire categories of book title animals and straight C's right and the entire category of Drake wrong.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Goodness, does anyone besides Alex pronounce sophomore as three syllables?

I do, but I often think he's the only other person in the world who does, so I understand you questioning it!

• Love 1

Shout out to me with "So long, and thanks for all the fish," which is one of my favorite sayings, I use it often -- and typically get met with blank stares.

I had to look up Izze, I'd never heard of it, and my grocery has tonloads of obscure drinks that they highlight by giving a different one away every weekend. Just haven't gotten to Izze yet.

Red Bull gives you wings!

For that planet DD, I right away said Jupiter. Then when the player replied Neptune, I thought oh, yeah, that's a much better answer.

Eh.

Shout out to this thread that the FJ category was American Authors and the clue was about a woman. Wonders ... never cease!

Speaking of wonders, *knock wood* that I've now tied my highest FJ Contest score. Watch out players, Saber might win this week after all!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I had to look up Izze, I'd never heard of it

For me on the other hand, I knew there was some of that drink upstairs in the fridge, but still couldn't get the name out of my mouth.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget once I saw Finch.

Based solely on the FJ contest, I'm really enjoying this tournament. lol

I also got Red Bull, seder, and Jupiter.

• Love 3

The Red Bull TS was surprising; are kids not drinking that anymore or something?  If you ask me to name an energy drink, that's the only one I know, so it has probably been replaced by a dozen more-popular things. 

I was also surprised none of them figured out Londyn had just added an S to flashlight.  Only one of them getting FJ also surprised me, but I'm not surprised Londyn is the one who did; she played a good game.  I was also a bit surprised that the guy living 30 miles from it didn't know the California-Mexico border DD. 

(Speaking of Alistair, I let out a very ugly cackle when he whiffed the Jupiter DD after doing that stupid all-in move and making me have to hear Alex talk about "Jeopardy James" yet again.)

I was oddly impressed alarm clock wasn't a TS, since they probably all use their phone.

I didn't know swans, Izze, or any of the Drake clues, so not a good first round for me.  I only missed one in DJ that I've already forgotten, and got FJ, so the game was salvaged.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

FINCH!!! FINCH!!! How can you not get "Harper Lee"????

Well, speaking only for myself, I could not for the life of me extract her name from my brain. I knew instantly that it was the author of To Kill A Mockingbird. The problem was that for some reason, my brain kept bringing up the names "SE Hinton" and "Lucy Maud Montgomery" - I knew they were both wrong. Had I been on the show, I would have had to write "the author of TKAM", and never would have forgiven myself for blanking on Harper Lee. I even knew that she had used her middle name, too.

Having said that, I was shocked that only one of them came up with it because I would have expected them all to get it. I did wonder if the person who didn't write anything had also blanked on her name, though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had to look up Izze, I'd never heard of it

I was trying to think of that flavored water that's so popular... Thinking... googling... LaCroix! Well, it's not four letters, but that's what I was trying to think of. I didn't think I heard of Izze when Alex said it, but SEEING the word makes me realize I've seen it in the stores.

I got California, Red Bull, Seder, flashlight, and Harper Lee.

Instead of Nesquik, I said Quik. Is that the same thing? 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Nesquik, I said Quik. Is that the same thing? 

That's what I said, too, and I gave myself credit.  It used to be called Quik in some countries and Nesquik in others, and eventually became Nesquik everywhere about 20 years ago.  Given the time span covered by the clue, I'm sure they'd have accepted either one.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If you had been watching at my house, you might have actually passed out from gasping/lack of air/total shock. So, good for you (!) that you were not.

My house too (I said Pride & Prejudice and then immediately knew I was wrong because their last name was Bennett).  Oh well.  I got FJ because of the mentioning of her name, Nelle (I've read a few books about her recently as I'm curious about her real writing ability vs her NY editor's) re: To Kill A Mockingbird.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

FINCH!!! FINCH!!! How can you not get "Harper Lee"????

Is what I said to myself when I didn't get it. To be fair to myself, "Finch" took me to "The Goldfinch" (recent clue), and I couldn't shove it out of my head.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to me with "So long, and thanks for all the fish," which is one of my favorite sayings, I use it often -- and typically get met with blank stares.

I get the same blank stare with "Jane, you ignorant slut!" CONTEXT - I only use that line when telling people why I don't talk politics. "I get to the 'Jane, you ignorant slut!' moment way too quickly." I never direct that phrase at anyone.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's what I said, too, and I gave myself credit.  It used to be called Quik in some countries and Nesquik in others, and eventually became Nesquik everywhere about 20 years ago.  Given the time span covered by the clue, I'm sure they'd have accepted either one.

I like your way of thinking. 🙂

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Johnny Gilbert does.

So that makes two.

• Love 3

Unless something was wrong with my hearing (which is a possibility), Londyn should not have gotten credit for "The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe" because the title of the book is "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".  J-Archive even noted that she didn't include the 3rd "the", but I don't think she included the 2nd one either.

Something about her really bugged me, so of course she won.

I haven't bought Nestle Quik in years, but when I was a kid, it was not Nesquik.  It was Quik and Strawberry Quik.  So they'd have had to give me credit for just "Quik".

I'm surprised that college students didn't get Red Bull.

FJ seemed so simple to me, with "Finch" given in the clue.  I was flabbergasted that only Londyn got it.  (And seriously, that spelling?  I know it's not her fault, but ugh.)

I learned that I know almost nothing about Drake.  Hell, even Rihanna was just a guess.  And I've heard of the DeGrassi shows, but wouldn't have known which one he'd been on.

Yay!  Maryland made Jeopardy.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I get the same blank stare with "Jane, you ignorant slut!" CONTEXT - I only use that line when telling people why I don't talk politics. "I get to the 'Jane, you ignorant slut!' moment way too quickly." I never direct that phrase at anyone.

People named Jane just MIGHT take it personally. *ahem*

• LOL 1