Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Plus after their performance at the Oscars, everyone everywhere on every SM site had them getting married and having 20 kids, preferably right there on the Oscars stage, all at once. "Duet" was the give-away part of the clue.

They definitely have chemistry. And yeah, Duet was a major factor for me.

• Love 2

I didn't get FJ unless, AARRGH, who wrote those Percy Jackson books counts.

I got the TS of columnists, graft, reimburse and sponge.  Was temblor a TS?  I got that, too.

I got the entire categories of the Marshall Plan, Famous names and the partial category of B in the middle right.  I would have had an off-the-chart game (for me) had I gotten FJ.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Same here.  I had no idea who wrote those books, but I thought it was probably referring to them.

I was sad that they didn't finish the James Taylor category -- I got all of those!  I even knew George Harrison without having two other people guess two other Beatles.

TS I got include sap, columnist, You've Got A Friend, temblor, grafting, and sponges.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was sad that they didn't finish the James Taylor category -- I got all of those!  I even knew George Harrison without having two other people guess two other Beatles.

Why do they have to make the clues in these celebrity categories so damn long. I would never choose a category like that until I had cleared all the others. Unless I was trying to play the clock out.

Which reminds me, I think that sometime a TS in the last minutes of play are contestants trying to hold onto their lead by not missing a clue, no matter how easy it may look.

Edited by dgpolo
ETA
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, opus said:

NYC Channel 7 viewers. Because of tomorrows (Wed, 4/22) NJ Covid Benefit show, Wednesday's Jeopardy is scheduled for 3:05am early Thursday.

Also 6abc peeps out of Philly. Not sure when or if Jeopardy will air, but my best guess is at 2:37am, instead of a Wheel of Fortune repeat.

Since I'm having yet another crappy Jeopardy week, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Bruuuccceeee!

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Why do they have to make the clues in these celebrity categories so damn long. I would never choose a category like that until I had cleared all the others. Unless I was trying to play the clock out.

I know I hate that.  They go on FOREVER.  So long that I often get confused about what on earth they are asking

Also they had a very long category name on Monday and the one guy SAID "I'll take (whole category name) for 'x' please....Alex.....thank you......if you would.......I appreciate it."  Shut up!  You are wasting time!

Also I think they played the song You've got a Friend as a clue after he read it, but I could barely hear it. 

Missed the last two FJs.  I knew what song they wanted but didn't know the name, like the guy who won.  And I guessed JK Rowling tonight.  Oh well.

Side note :  James Taylor's dad was an interesting guy, a doctor, and dean of the UNC school of medicine back in the 1960s.  Also spent some time in Antartica as a doctor in the US military

• Love 3

Also I forget what the actual answer was, but if they accepted "luggage"  the other night for "baggage", I thought they should have accepted the "rebate" answer tonight too.  Especially since that was my answer as well

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also I forget what the actual answer was, but if they accepted "luggage"  the other night for "baggage", I thought they should have accepted the "rebate" answer tonight too.  Especially since that was my answer as well

That was the ‘reimburse’ answer, right? The b isn’t exactly in the middle of rebate, so it doesn’t fit the category.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, opus said:

That was the ‘reimburse’ answer, right? The b isn’t exactly in the middle of rebate, so it doesn’t fit the category.

Did they say it had to be 'exactly' in the middle?  I just though it said in the middle.  Its the 33rd of 6 letters. 

Gary looks familiar to me, and specifically looked like someone I'd seen as a contestant (but I've no idea who); when the show first started, I thought I was watching a re-run.

No "I can't believe no one got that!" moments among the TS for me, but the trademark, columnist, temblor, grafting, reimburse, sponges, and sap clues were all ones I'd have predicted someone would get.

I had a decent game, missing about half a dozen, but most of those came in the first round when my misses are usually concentrated in DJ (except in the College Tournament, where I kept staring blankly at first round pop culture clues).  I didn't get FJ, though; I don't read much fiction, especially contemporary fiction, and I didn't pick him up via cultural osmosis.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did they say it had to be 'exactly' in the middle?  I just though it said in the middle.  Its the 33rd of 6 letters. 

I thought it had to be exactly in the middle. Someone else here will have to confirm or deny.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

If you put a gun to my head I could not say who wrote those books. In fact, when Sidra's answer was revealed, I expected Alex to say, "No. Sorry." I've never heard of Rick Riordan. I feel so out of it.

I only got You've Got a Friend and grafting. Instead of rhizomes I said tubers.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I could only come up with Neil Gaiman (who wrote American Gods and other related books), but I knew that as a Brit he would never have been a middle school teacher.

Oh, well....

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I could only come up with Neil Gaiman (who wrote American Gods and other related books), but I knew that as a Brit he would never have been a middle school teacher.

Oh, well....

My answer, as well. 

7 hours ago, opus said:

I thought it had to be exactly in the middle. Someone else here will have to confirm or deny.

Yes.  Alex said exactly in the middle at the beginning of the round.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Me too, and I thought it was generous of him to say "inspired him" instead of "used my line."

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know I hate that.  They go on FOREVER.  So long that I often get confused about what on earth they are asking

Some of the celebs (like James) talk very slowly, which certainly doesn't help in either parsing the question or getting through it quickly. I don't like the celebrity categories much. The Jeopardy crew seem to do a much better job of speeding up their questions.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Gary looks familiar to me, and specifically looked like someone I'd seen as a contestant (but I've no idea who); when the show first started, I thought I was watching a re-run.

I had the same reaction. I couldn't figure out if I'd seen him before, or if he just reminded me of someone (who? not sure)

8 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Oh, well....

Me too. The Percy Jackson books were the one big series I missed entirely (as in reading them). So I had no idea - I was "who's Rick Rioden <sp?>"

• Love 3
18 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Schedule News. The next tweet says there will be new episodes after the repeat of the GOAT tournament including the teacher’s tournament. 

According to this, they are going to bookend the GOAT tournament with Ken Jennings' first and last appearances from his 74 game winning streak. That should be fun, if only to compare how Jeopardy! (and Alex and Ken) looked in 2004 with today.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
Because exclamation points are important when they are part of the name
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, j5cochran said:

The only guess I had was JK Rowling, but I was pretty sure she hadn't been a teacher, let alone for a middle school since, like you, I figured that would rule out Brits.

And then I wondered, Why did they even say "middle"? Why not just say school teacher? Maybe to help discerning guessers rule out the Brits? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by peeayebee
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You can take comfort and joy in watching him ***SPOILER ALERT*** lose again.

Well, there is that. ;-)

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had "that Rick guy who wrote those Percy Jackson books".  Couldn't come up with his last name to save my life.  Like many here, I first thought J K Rowling, but then realized that "middle school teacher" ruled her out since that isn't a Brit thing.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I even knew George Harrison without having two other people guess two other Beatles.

I knew it because I've loved that song ever since my brother had to play it as a sax solo in an elementary school concert.  Harrison wrote it for his wife, Pattie, who was also the inspiration for the Eric Clapton classic Layla.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The only guess I had was JK Rowling, but I was pretty sure she hadn't been a teacher, let alone for a middle school since, like you, I figured that would rule out Brits.

And then I wondered, Why did they even say "middle"? Why not just say school teacher? Maybe to help discerning guessers rule out the Brits? 🤷‍♀️

I figured they said middle school teacher as a tease-out to get you to think of books written for that age group.

• Love 1

I got FJ through logic.  The US has about 400 million people.  The only two countries that have a higher pop are India and China and I was reasonably sure that China's not democratic.

The only missed clue I got was 1930s.  Not a great night for me, but not terrible.

• Love 4

I honestly had zero clue for FJ, until I started thinking about what country might have that large a population -- specifically what democratic country might have that large a population.  Once I did that, India was the first one to come to mind, so that's what I went with.  Good for me!

I also got 1930s, sides, Mary Tyler Moore Show, tailor, and auger.  

Anything that sounds like "Mahna Mahna", such as "Phenomena", puts that song in my head forever.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

In categories like Decades, the "answers" are all different, at least when I pay attention.  Is that something contestants can count on, that if one is 1930s none of the others will be?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Driad said:

In categories like Decades, the "answers" are all different, at least when I pay attention.  Is that something contestants can count on, that if one is 1930s none of the others will be?

I would count on them all being different if I were playing. Although it would be interesting if all the clues had the same answer, like "Kit Carson" five times. I thought the category would be consecutive decades to upset viewer who say "Start at the top!" but no, they were random.

Yesterday's shout out was to friend of the thread, Magritte Yo Yo Ma.

Today the middle player being from Paw Paw was a hoot. If I picked up a paw paw and instead of putting it in my pocket, I heaved it as hard as I could, I would hit someone in downtown Paw Paw. Not an easy thing to do since, as the player said, only 870 people live there, and I'm guessing that's counting all the farm families in any direction.

I got a charge out of the clue about it raining frogs in Dubuque, Iowa. That's only 1-1/2 hours north of me, and I'm saying it still rains frogs around here. Once driving, I encountered thousands of frogs on the road, frogs everywhere, leaping into the sides of my car, bouncing off the windshield ... creepy as heck. Lasted about a half mile.

Then one evening last year I went out into the front yard and little frogs were jumping all over everywhere, including on and off of my legs, zillions of them. They were all gone the next day. There is no explanation. Except rain.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Driad said:

I don't remember what the category and it was a while ago, but one time the top 3 answers were the same and the next two were different.  They were trying to be tricky.

• Love 2

I got FJ, but I wasn't absolutely sure about it. I was remembering a country in the news where lots of people voted and proudly showed off their purple fingers. I'm not sure that was India, but I said India anyway. I really don't know populations of countries.

I got the DD of 1930s. The Lindberg kidnapping was the first thing that came to mind when the category was revealed.

I also got sides, Superstore, Mary Tyler Moore Show, tailor, and frogs. I kicked myself for not getting The Good Place.

SyFy's Battlestar Galactica marathon was airing one of my favorite episodes when J! started, so no way I could turn away even though I have the whole series on blu-ray and can watch anytime.  Now that an episode I don't like is on, I read the archive:

I'm a bit surprised no one even guessed any fashion-related profession in the clue about what sartorial means; none of the three know that word?  I'm also a bit surprised none of them had ever heard of a meat and three, and that Tim Russert (with a picture) and auger were TS.

I missed three of the sitcom clues; pop culture continues to kill me, as otherwise I'd have run the first round.  Thankfully my hit and miss history with pop culture was better in the second round; I only missed one of the musicians' nicknames clues.  I only missed a few other scattered clues in DJ, and FJ was an instaget, so I had a good game.

Any other X-Files fans say, "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"  about the frogs TS?

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm also a bit surprised none of them had ever heard of a meat and three, and that Tim Russert (with a picture) and auger were TS.

I never heard of a meat and three, and I've lived in the South (albeit as a kid, and we didn't go out much). It was something I should have figured out, but never heard the expression.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I wonder if Sidra had stuck around for a few more games, would Alex have asked her if she ever got teased about the Sidra Seinfeld episode (they're real, and they're SPECTACULAR). Obviously you'd have to leave out the actual quote! 

I was wondering that too.  especially since its no that common of a name

Seinfeld also ruined the name Dolores for me

FJ last night it was basically India or China, no other country has the population where it could have been correct.  And India is the logical one in terms of democracy. 

I got Superstore.  Should have known The Good Place.  

was surprised the new champ missed the Iran Contra decade, but ......she is Canadian I guess, less likely to know that.  I couldn't tell you when Canadian political scandals happened. 

Also knew the 1930s for Lindbergh kidnapping.  Read a book last year about his actual flight and they got into it later on in the book. 

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got FJ, but I wasn't absolutely sure about it. I was remembering a country in the news where lots of people voted and proudly showed off their purple fingers. I'm not sure that was India, but I said India anyway. I really don't know populations of countries.

Really all you need to know if no country has over 500 million people except India and China and its not even close.  The US is #3 at 330 million and India and China both have a billion people MORE THAN THE US, both are 1.3 to 1.4 billion.  India is about to pass CHina as most populous. 

Then behind the US is Indonesia and Pakistan, combined they have about 500 million between them.  India, China, Indonesia and Pakistan combined have about 3.2 billion people out of 7.8 billion worldwide, which is 40% of the world population. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

SyFy's Battlestar Galactica marathon was airing one of my favorite episodes when J! started, so no way I could turn away even though I have the whole series on blu-ray and can watch anytime.  Now that an episode I don't like is on, I read the archive:

I'm also a bit surprised none of them had ever heard of a meat and three, and that Tim Russert (with a picture) and auger were TS.

I haven't heard of a meat and three but I figured it out. As for Tim Russert, I just couldn't think of his name. Mark Russell came to mind but I knew it wasn't him.

36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also knew the 1930s for Lindbergh kidnapping.  Read a book last year about his actual flight and they got into it later on in the book. 

One Summer by Bill Bryson?

Really all you need to know if no country has over 500 million people except India and China and its not even close.  The US is #3 at 330 million and India and China both have a billion people MORE THAN THE US, both are 1.3 to 1.4 billion.  India is about to pass CHina as most populous. 

Then behind the US is Indonesia and Pakistan, combined they have about 500 million between them.  India, China, Indonesia and Pakistan combined have about 3.2 billion people out of 7.8 billion worldwide, which is 40% of the world population. 

Blah blah blah Ginger. I hate to sound like the old stereotype of a woman, but numbers don't stick in my mind. It's a joke in my house when someone asks me a question like how much something cost, and I give them a blank look to cause them to say, "Oh right. That's a number." It probably all has to do with my number phobia.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Blah blah blah Ginger. I hate to sound like the old stereotype of a woman, but numbers don't stick in my mind. It's a joke in my house when someone asks me a question like how much something cost, and I give them a blank look to cause them to say, "Oh right. That's a number." It probably all has to do with my number phobia.

Over Half the worlds population is in china and SE asia. 

That sums it up

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I find it really depressing when a question about the Mary Tyler Moore Show, which was such a big cultural touchstone for me, is met with three stony stares. 

I loved the MTM show, and yet I still missed it. Actually, for someone fairly well versed in pop culture, I did pretty miserably in that category. Bad brain day. maybe. 

Got the 30s, the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby was the first true crime book I ever read. It was a very long time ago I was only 12 or 13. But made quite an impact of me.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

was surprised the new champ missed the Iran Contra decade, but ......she is Canadian I guess, less likely to know that.  I couldn't tell you when Canadian political scandals happened. 

I'm Canadian and I knew it.  Guess it just depends if you were paying attention to the news around that time.  I didn't know Sharon is Canadian until end of the program (missed the introductions) but I was rooting for her anyhow.  I also said "the deepest part" of the ocean. I liked her comeback to being ruled wrong.

My only ts was side dishes.  India was the only logical answer for FJ.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm a bit surprised no one even guessed any fashion-related profession in the clue about what sartorial means; none of the three know that word?  I'm also a bit surprised none of them had ever heard of a meat and three, and that Tim Russert (with a picture) and auger were TS.

Ooh, which episode?

I think I said "... fashion?" for the sartorial clue, that's as close as I could get. Surprised my non-news-watching self by knowing Tim Russert (with a picture). I guess it's from working in a bookstore back when his book Big Russ and Me came out.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Blah blah blah Ginger.

This made me LOL because, of course, I knew exactly what you were referencing. (Plus one of my TWoP names was Ginger and I still answer to that.)

I've never heard of a meat and three, and I've spent lots of time in the south, my mom being born and raised in Arkansas. Count me among those with blank looks.

• Love 1

I'm now a day behind because of the Jersey 4 Jersey concert pre-empting the show last night.

I checked the archive for yesterday's and today's FJ. I got both of them correct.

In conclusion, I seem to be smarter when I don't actually see the show. Go figure.

Tomorrow's show is pre-empted because of the NFL draft*, so I'm hoping to end the week on a high note. ;-)

*DVR picked up a show on Saturday at 7pm, but it says it's from 2018. Odd!

#FlyEaglesFly

• Love 1

Well, I sucked tonight.  No FJ for me, and though it seemed like there were a lot of TS, I only got three -- Kansas, Keystone State, and Duchess.

And as for the Main Street clue, I actually thought about it, and still picked the wrong author!  

But we got a "genre", so there's that.

I didn't get FJ.  I will not embarrass myself by giving my answer

I got the TS of whiskey, Twin Peaks, Kansas, Keystone State, Kidnapped, something I can't read and Goethe.

I got the entire categories of TV fictional towns ad lit right and the entire category of French girls wrong.

23 minutes ago, Driad said:

FJ:  Wondering about the phrasing "The first Asian to accept the Nobel Peace Prize."  Was there an earlier Asian who was offered the prize but declined?

According to Andy at TheJeopardyFan.com:

'One year after North Vietnam’s Lê Đức Thọ declined the prize, believing that Vietnamese peace did not yet exist, Eisaku Satō, who served as Prime Minister of Japan from 1964 to 1972, was awarded (and accepted) the Nobel Peace Prize (sharing the prize with Irish politician Seán MacBride)."

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Ooh, which episode?

"A Disquiet Follows My Soul" was on when J! aired, and then I couldn't even turn away to read the archive until I watched the two mutiny episodes that follow it; once "No Exit" came on, I could finally peel my eyes away from the Battlestar Galactica marathon.

And tonight I'll be flipping back and forth between the NFL draft and Top Chef, so I read the archive again during breaks of the draft:

I was excited to run the Fictional TV Towns category (even though I only watched two of the shows), since I'd been doing so bad lately with pop culture clues.  I'm a bit surprised no one took a guess at the "heartland" state (I picked the right one).

My streak was short-lived, though; I only correctly guessed the first one in the Beatles songs category.  But I only missed one other clue in the first round and two others in DJ (well, I'm fudging a bit here - since I can't see the pictures, I'm taking the Draw Me category out of play) and got FJ, so otherwise I had a good game.

Quite a few TS tonight, but the only other one that mildly surprised me was guru.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I said Treasure Island instead of Kidnapped as I couldn't think of another Stevenson novel even though it didn't make sense. 

Molly seemed a tad robotic at times. I'm chalking it up to nerves. 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Quite a few TS tonight, but the only other one that mildly surprised me was guru.

Guru surprised me too, but I got it along with FJ Japan, Keystone, and Twin Peaks,. 

Were we were supposed to infer from the DD clue from Elizabeth Browning saying about George Sand: "True Genius, True Woman" that the author used a male pseudonym? That didn't feel like a helpful clue to me. 

• Love 1

I liked Sharon but she just didn't seem to be in the game.  I'm glad the fellow on the end won; Molly was a little off putting to me.

I said South Korea for FJ.  If I'd thought a little harder I would have got to Japan, but I didn't. 

Didn't do too badly on ts's; I got Jim Thorpe, Twin Peaks, Kidnapped, George Sand and Bernadette - one or two of those might have been missed DDs.

Edited by Trey