Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm going to be watching Top Chef instead tonight, so I just checked the archive.  Nibir has certainly positioned himself well heading into the second game!

The District Attorney TS made my eyes about bug out of my head.

I had a stupefyingly bad first round, missing almost everything in the bestseller, movie comedies, and emoji categories.  I did much better in DJ, only missing two of the songs.  But I didn't know FJ; I think that's my first FJ miss in this tournament.

For FJ, I thought Othello, Romeo and Juliet, or Merchant of Venice. The Tempest may have been inspired by a storm experienced by sailors & colonist going to Virginia, and I want to read it, but haven’t yet.

• Love 2

0 for 4. 

I did get District Attorney and leave a penny. Impressive, huh?

9 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

.....Romeo and Juliet, or Merchant of Venice.

Those were my 2 guesses, not that I had confidence in either one.

I felt bad when people laughed at the wrong answer to the penny question. Instead of “TAKE a penny...” he was obviously thinking of the “SEE a penny...” phrase when he said “Pick it up”. It wasn’t that ridiculous of an answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

For FJ, I thought Othello, Romeo and Juliet, or Merchant of Venice. The Tempest may have been inspired by a storm experienced by sailors & colonist going to Virginia, and I want to read it, but haven’t yet.

Me too, I was trying to think of plays set in Italy, so I thought either "Romeo&Juliet" or "Merchant of Venice"....the young Minnesota student has quite a substantial lead.

Disgruntled Jeopardy viewer: "What is it with this show that it always has clues and categories about Shakespeare when it should be doing more current subjects like Harry Potter."

Me: "Obviously the above is from someone who did not know today's Final Jeopardy answer. I'm glad I don't have to associate with THAT person."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ah, well, my streak of instaget FJs comes screeching to a halt.  I've read a lot of Shakespeare, but haven't read The Tempest -- I never would have gotten it.  

I have, and I took an entire course on Shakespeare in college - so I have no excuse. Except that I was an odd ball English major who didn't like Shakespeare or Austin, so I expunged them from my mind.  Sorry @saber5055, guess you'll have to stop associating with me. 😉

13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought Two Gentlemen of Verona.

I got DA and leave a penny.

I didn't know Tom Hanks wrote a book.

Merchant of Venice and Two Gentlemen of Verona were the two I thought of. Now, if they'd asked me which Shakespeare play was the inspiration for an early sci-film, I would have gotten The Tempest. 😂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

except that I was an odd ball English major who didn't like Shakespeare or Austin, so I expunged them from my mind. 

I was a chemistry major who took Shakespeare as an elective. It was a requirement for English majors, and every one of them in my class hated it. I enjoyed it, but didn't get FJ. Neither did my English major husband. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I was a chemistry major who took Shakespeare as an elective. It was a requirement for English majors, and every one of them in my class hated it. I enjoyed it, but didn't get FJ. Neither did my English major husband. 

Now I don't feel so alone... Thanks!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Disgruntled Jeopardy viewer: "What is it with this show that it always has clues and categories about Shakespeare when it should be doing more current subjects like Harry Potter."

Me: "Obviously the above is from someone who did not know today's Final Jeopardy answer. I'm glad I don't have to associate with THAT person."

Come on...Shakespeare was before their time!

• LOL 6

I said Much Ado About Nothing for FJ, with The Tempest as my second choice.

I thought they were supposed to get through all clues in tournament play.  Both rounds they left a few on there.  I am sad when that happens.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

I thought they were supposed to get through all clues in tournament play.  Both rounds they left a few on there.

That's only in the first round, where high scoring non-winners qualify for the semi-finals.

• Love 2

Summing up FJ for me for this week, I quote from Spock's Brain, just replacing the name: 

Captain James T. Kirk: What have you done with illdoc's brain?

Also this:

Uhura: What would they want with illdoc's brain? What use is it? WHY do they want it?

And this:

Captain James T. Kirk: [regarding illdoc] You've got him on complete life support. Was he dead?

Dr. McCoy: He was worse than dead.

Captain James T. Kirk: What do you mean?

Dr. McCoy: Jim...

Captain James T. Kirk: Come on, Bones, what's the mystery?

Dr. McCoy: His brain is gone.

• LOL 9

No idea for FJ tonight, either.  Oh well.  Good for them -- looks like Nibir had it, too.

I did get Little Dipper, and vaccine.  And I should have gotten zig-zagged, but all I could think of was, "Serpentine!  Serpentine!" from "The In-Laws".

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Great game to end the tournament.  The vaccine TS surprised me, and the apartheid clue had no business being in DJ, but that was it.

Oh boy, this was another bad first round for me, thanks to the Greek, Weak and TV Theme Songs categories; I missed three in the former and four in the latter.  In DJ, I sat and stared blankly at all but one of the Pop Culture clues, but got everything else.  I guessed right on FJ.

Edited by Bastet
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I should have gotten zig-zagged, but all I could think of was, "Serpentine!  Serpentine!" from "The In-Laws".

"Serpentine!" happily popped into my head, but I did get zigzagged.

The only TS I got was Portlandia.

The opera house in Oslo looks awesome.

Instead of Helios would Apollo be accepted?

I didn't get FJ. I took a wild guess with Napoleon.

• Love 1

A well deserved winner for the tournament, just ran away with it.  Once he got the true DD, it was over. 

I call "boo" though on granting "luggage" for "baggage".  For it to apply to both items described, only baggage works.  No one has ever said "boy that person has a lot of emotional luggage". 

Wouldn't have mattered though

At least the Indiana player got second place. 

I still think they need to up the winnings for the college tournament. 

Guessed again on FJ and was correct

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I call "boo" though on granting "luggage" for "baggage".  For it to apply to both items described, only baggage works.  No one has ever said "boy that person has a lot of emotional luggage".

I just googled "emotional luggage" and got quite a few hits.  Plus, I also said luggage, so I need to defend my answer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Great game to end the tournament.  The vaccine TS surprised me, and the apartheid clue had no business being in DJ, but that was it.

Even though I know the date, it always stuns me that apartheid ended so recently. I think, especially for young people, that date may throw them off.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get Little Dipper, and vaccine.  And I should have gotten zig-zagged, but all I could think of was, "Serpentine!  Serpentine!" from "The In-Laws".

Serpentine! Serpentine! - I always loved that line.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Congrats to Nibir, winning the tournament. He was a wild card so didn't even win a "regular" game to get into the finals. He ended up smokin' the competition. Good on him for knowing the last FJ answer but also knowing he was the winner so he could do a shout out to Alex. I doubt his will go viral though. So far it hasn't anyway.

I was disappointed in Xiaoke playing FJ like she was going to be third anyway. If she had bet bigger, she would have easily beaten Tyler and gotten $50,000 instead of $25,000. I mean, what did she have to lose if she was guaranteed $25,000 anyway.

I liked Nibir's style of play and his confident DD bets. I'll be rooting for him in the ToC, whenever that will be, if it even is.

I got a laugh from the FJ answer since I did a college paper on the architecture of Charlemagne's palace chapel. I just didn't research any of that other stuff.

• Love 3

I was actually thinking that this was one of the few times it really mattered who came in second versus third.  The normal difference of $1000 isn't enormous, so I could understand not worrying too hard about being second or third.  But here, it was $25,000 and I realized that the real fight then was between second or third, as neither could catch Nibir.  But she didn't even seem to try to do the maths.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Even though I know the date, it always stuns me that apartheid ended so recently. I think, especially for young people, that date may throw them off.

Xiaoke got it right away.  I'd wager the other two were trying to ring in as well.  It was a hideously over-valued clue, is my issue with it.  Asking, essentially, "what was the policy of discrimination in South Africa called?" should not be worth $2000.

• Love 1

I hate that song, but it was an instaget for me tonight.  Probably because I hate it.  

So many TS!  I got United Negro College Fund, Easter Seals, Panama, Zimbabwe and Zambia, egress, nock, I Am Not Spock/I Am Spock, and I Am The Cheese.

I would like to thank The Amazing Race for my knowing Zimbabwe and Zambia.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I got FJ.

I got the TS of Easter Seals (I think the contestants thought there was a different name for that since seals was in the clue), Zimbabwe and Zambia (without help from the incomplete clue), nock (without help) and I Am Spock and I Am Not Spock.

1 minute ago, Driad said:

Nobody knew the Nimoy memoirs. 😞  As for FJ: "Recent Movie Songs?  I bet zero.  Anybody want coffee?"

I only guessed the Nimoy memoirs because it was logical.   I know.  I think I'm funny but I'm not.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me too!

Never heard of that song, never heard the song (that I know of) have a very faint memory that Bradley Cooper did a song with Lady Gaga

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Me too!

Never heard of that song, never heard the song (that I know of) have a very faint memory that Bradley Cooper did a song with Lady Gaga

Are the Jeopardy writers required to have a Robbie Burns clue? I knew Shallow instantly.

• Love 2

This was just an ugly game. I did get Shallow. 

I don't see Let's Dance becoming the new craze to go all in on a Daily Double. 

37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of Easter Seals (I think the contestants thought there was a different name for that since seals was in the clue), Zimbabwe and Zambia (without help from the incomplete clue), nock (without help) and I Am Spock and I Am Not Spock.

Got those plus the United Negro College Fund and Panama. I do see what you mean about the Easter Seals. Because seals being in the clue, I was thinking about the March of Dimes instead, but went with Easter Seals. 

44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me too. It's a great show. When they started filming in HD, it made it that more amazing. 

• Love 1

Back to Friday: It doesn't matter, but it's Cliffs Notes, not Cliff Notes (which the judges accepted). There's no space now [CliffsNotes], so I guess my image below is an old one.)

70983.jpg

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

Am I wrong, or is it true that if the middle guy - who was the only one to get FJ - had bet all his money, he would’ve won? I know that’s not really the strategy third place people should necessarily follow, but I’d be kicking myself forever if I had missed out on winning because of that.

I wonder how long it will be until we start seeing the no-audience shows.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, SHD said:

Am I wrong, or is it true that if the middle guy - who was the only one to get FJ - had bet all his money, he would’ve won? I know that’s not really the strategy third place people should necessarily follow, but I’d be kicking myself forever if I had missed out on winning because of that.

Yes, Ben in the middle could have won by betting more.  With 2800 he had a maximum of 5600 and his 3201 end score was 399 shy of winning the game. 

Shows without an audience are scheduled to air May 18 - 29 and no shows have been taped since then. The season was originally scheduled to end on July 24th.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

So many missed answers that were so easy!

I was certain the judges were going to penalize the eventual winner for his answer of “Shiners” instead of “Shriners.” 

I knew FJ instantly but I can never remember if it’s pluralized or not because “In the shallow.” doesn’t make sense so I went with Shallows. 🤦🏻

• Love 6
9 hours ago, SHD said:

Did they actually record any?  IIRC, they said they were going to do no audience and I think it was about 2 days later when they shut down completely.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I only guessed the Nimoy memoirs because it was logical.   I know.  I think I'm funny but I'm not.

I got it logically as well. I only knew "I am not Spock" so the logical conclusion gave me the right answer. Logic rules!

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

So many missed answers that were so easy!

I was certain the judges were going to penalize the eventual winner for his answer of “Shiners” instead of “Shriners.”

I knew FJ instantly but I can never remember if it’s pluralized or not because “In the shallow.” doesn’t make sense so I went with Shallows. 🤦🏻

We heard "Shiners" too.

I got Shallow as soon as the category was announced. Not because I'm clairvoyant, but because it was literally the only song I could think of from a recent. I don't go to movies often, but we saw it on our anniversary vacation. I was probably also the only person unspoiled by the ending because I'd never seen any of the previous versions of that story. (I was also unspoiled for the Lord of the Rings movies - and my wonderful family let me worry about Samwise for three years. ❤️

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Shallow as soon as the category was announced. Not because I'm clairvoyant, but because it was literally the only song I could think of from a recent.

Plus after their performance at the Oscars, everyone everywhere on every SM site had them getting married and having 20 kids, preferably right there on the Oscars stage, all at once. "Duet" was the give-away part of the clue.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:19 PM, Mystery Author said:

And I kept thinking: Do they allow bathroom breaks?

Only between games when I was on, but if it were an emergency, I'd think they'd have to.

On ‎04‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Ah, well, my streak of instaget FJs comes screeching to a halt.  I've read a lot of Shakespeare, but haven't read The Tempest -- I never would have gotten it.  

I did get DA and leave a penny.  

FJ took me all of 5 seconds - I studied The Tempest for one of my lit courses. 

On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:58 PM, Browncoat said:

No idea for FJ tonight, either.  Oh well.  Good for them -- looks like Nibir had it, too.

Me too.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

hate that song, but it was an instaget for me tonight.  Probably because I hate it.  

So many TS!  I got United Negro College Fund, Easter Seals, Panama, Zimbabwe and Zambia, egress, nock, I Am Not Spock/I Am Spock, and I Am The Cheese.

I didn't get Panama, and I said Botswana instead of Zambia (also thanks to AR - I blame that discussion between Kevin & Drew for confusing me, although Kevin had it right) but got most of the rest.  I credit watching The Watchers on the Wall episode of GOT for my remembering nock; I definitely heard it plenty of times.

I don't hate Shallow but I did get really sick of hearing it.  And now we know the answer to "would they accept that song/book/movie etc. by so & so?" - obviously not.

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I missed Easter Seals for that reason.  I knew the Nimoy books because a friend has read them.  I Am Not Spock came first, when he was trying to move on from Star Trek.

8 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Schedule News. The next tweet says there will be new episodes after the repeat of the GOAT tournament including the teacher’s tournament. 

Great, I'll be able to take a break for a few days.  Not that it isn't lovely to see Brad, but not if I have to watch James.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

Yes, Ben in the middle could have won by betting more.  With 2800 he had a maximum of 5600 and his 3201 end score was 399 shy of winning the game. 

I'm confused. I turned it off after the scores were revealed, but I thought Ben won.

I also thought Andrew said Shiners.

I got Yugoslavia, Easter Seals, 1789, I Am Spock/I Am Not Spock, and egress. Instead of Italy I said Venice. Doh.

When the FJ category was shown I immediately hoped it wasn't that song from A Star Is Born whose name I can never remember. So my answer was That song from A Star Is Born.

23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm confused. I turned it off after the scores were revealed, but I thought Ben won.

I also thought Andrew said Shiners.

I got Yugoslavia, Easter Seals, 1789, I Am Spock/I Am Not Spock, and egress. Instead of Italy I said Venice. Doh.

When the FJ category was shown I immediately hoped it wasn't that song from A Star Is Born whose name I can never remember. So my answer was That song from A Star Is Born.

Andrew won (the guy on our right) with $3,599.  Ben, in the middle, was the only contestant who got FJ right but he didn't wager enough.  

• Love 1

NYC Channel 7 viewers. Because of tomorrows (Wed, 4/22) NJ Covid Benefit show, Wednesday's Jeopardy is scheduled for 3:05am early Thursday.

And while I'm here, Friday's show will also be late here due to NFL Draft coverage. It's listed at 3:35am early Saturday.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1