Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 8:02 PM, Katy M said:

I feel stupid because I didn't get FJ.  Big Ditch made me think of the Big Dig, so I went to  Boston. 

I thought of that first, but realized it couldn't be right, and got to the Panama canal in plenty of time.  So don't feel too stupid, because my brain obviously worked in a similar fashion.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 8:20 PM, saber5055 said:

Anyone who has ever seen one episode of Rachael Ray's show knows EVOO. She says it about a zillion times per episode. Or at least she use to. I'm allergic to her* so haven't seen her show for ages.

I still like her, but I get it.  She can be a bit much.  It probably helps for me that she's not on tv as much as she used to be.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:30 PM, Bastet said:

The Stanford TS surprised me at first, but based on their answers, they obviously don't know the Pac-12 (

I don't know much about college divisions, but I did realize it was probably a west coast school, and I did know they had the Cardinals as mascots.  Even if the Tree is more famous.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 4:52 PM, saber5055 said:

You would have gotten the money if the clue had been about concert cello players.

I have a greeting card which has Yo-Yo Ma and Boutros Boutros-Ghali ordering couscous and mahi mahi.  It was supposed to be someone's birthday card, but it amused me so much that I couldn't give it away.

• LOL 9
(edited)
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 9:00 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I thought everyone read Evangeline in 7th or 8th grade. 

I never read Evangeline in school.  And I'm old.  Hell, we didn't even get any poetry until at least 10th grade.  But I've read it on my own.  It's very atmospheric.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 9:41 PM, chessiegal said:

When Nathaniel answered "pandemic" and Alex said - we'll accept that, I turned to my husband and said I wonder what they were looking for. Maybe epidemic? But these days pandemic was the first thing I thought of. 

Yeah, they were looking for epidemic, but pandemic fit the clue just as well.  I was what I thought of right away, too.  I wasn't creeped out since this show was taped months ago, but I did kind of gasp at the coincidental timing.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of swans, Red Bull, flashlight and Jupiter.

I said Neptune because I'd recently watched a PBS thing about the planets but obviously confused what it said about them.  I did get the others right, though.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, speaking only for myself, I could not for the life of me extract her name from my brain. I knew instantly that it was the author of To Kill A Mockingbird. The problem was that for some reason, my brain kept bringing up the names "SE Hinton" and "Lucy Maud Montgomery" - I knew they were both wrong. Had I been on the show, I would have had to write "the author of TKAM", and never would have forgiven myself for blanking on Harper Lee. I even knew that she had used her middle name, too.

Having said that, I was shocked that only one of them came up with it because I would have expected them all to get it. I did wonder if the person who didn't write anything had also blanked on her name, though.

You had the right book, at least, even if you couldn't drag the author's name out of your brain.

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was trying to think of that flavored water that's so popular... Thinking... googling... LaCroix! Well, it's not four letters, but that's what I was trying to think of. I didn't think I heard of Izze when Alex said it, but SEEING the word makes me realize I've seen it in the stores.

I said Bubly, even though I knew it was too many letters.

Edited to note that I really should've remembered that Neptune (and Uranus) are classified as ice giants because that was the title of the episode about them.  Still, there was something about liquid sea under the icy surface on one of them.  Oh well, makes sense that the largest ocean would be on the largest planet.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I get the same blank stare with "Jane, you ignorant slut!" CONTEXT - I only use that line when telling people why I don't talk politics. "I get to the 'Jane, you ignorant slut!' moment way too quickly." I never direct that phrase at anyone.

People named Jane just MIGHT take it personally. *ahem*

We are not amused.

• LOL 3
24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

just a heads up that we have another soph-o-more player today so we can listen to assorted pronunciations of that word.

My high school principal also said "soph-o-more". Also Roosevelt--"roo" like in "kangaroo". Everyone else pronounced it "Rose" (it was Theodore Roosevelt HS in Chicago).

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

We are not amused.

Just for reference, in case y'all are not SNL original flavor people, "Jane" refers specifically to Jane Curtain in SNL'S parody of 60 Minutes' "Point/Counterpoint" 

Not referring to Janes in general.😅

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, illdoc said:

My high school principal also said "soph-o-more". Also Roosevelt--"roo" like in "kangaroo". Everyone else pronounced it "Rose" (it was Theodore Roosevelt HS in Chicago).

He or she probably took elocution lessons as my mother did.  My mom would pronounce the "h" in who, what, when, where as she was taught to do. She was born & reared in NYC but had no NY accent (her siblings did, though...not major new yawky ax-cents but you could still faintly hear it}. 

I love it whenever I hear, "Jane, you ignorant slut!"  I can still hear Dan Akroyd pompously saying it (it was a take off on James Kilpatrick & some newswoman who debated each other on a current event each week).  Jane & the other women on that first SNL crew never got used enough.  I think it was their last season together when she played a tough broad...maybe a lumberjack or some other type of typical male job, and in the skit she was intimidating people in a bar. I remember thinking--they need to use her more and in more varied roles than mostly pretty housewife.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

(it was a take off on James Kilpatrick & some newswoman who debated each other on a current event each week). 

Shana Alexander.

28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Just for reference, in case y'all are not SNL original flavor people, "Jane" refers specifically to Jane Curtain in SNL'S parody of 60 Minutes' "Point/Counterpoint" 

Not referring to Janes in general.😅

I was just a woofin' with ya, no offense taken. I suspect Her Majesty was also giving you the tease. Maybe I should have replied, "Dan, you pompous ass."

I've been an SNL fan since day 1. Not much, if anything, gets by me in reference to that show.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

@saber5055 and I are in agreement. I'm old enough to remember (and to have enjoyed)  both the Point/Counterpoint segment on 60 Minutes as well as the SNL Dan Ackroyd/Jane Curtin takeoff. In fact, in the late '70s, I responded to the term of "ignorant slut" with great pride! (as the women on both shows were the liberal reasonable ones)

Edited by Good Queen Jane
not that there's anything wrong with ignorant sluts
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

In fact, in the late '70s, I responded to the term of "ignorant slut" with great pride! (as the women on both shows were the liberal reasonable ones)

LOL! I remember when all my friends were proud to be called a "Jane, you ignorant slut." Myself included! Badge of honor.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! I remember when all my friends were proud to be called a "Jane, you ignorant slut." Myself included! Badge of honor.

Saber, you ignorant slut.

(A mod reads that out of context and I'm so banned)

• LOL 10
16 minutes ago, opus said:

(A mod reads that out of context and I'm so banned)

If that happens, Opus you pompous ass, call me and I will come to your defense. You made me snort and LOL, not an easy achievement these days.

And, back at you for my post.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Shana Alexander.

I was just a woofin' with ya, no offense taken. I suspect Her Majesty was also giving you the tease. Maybe I should have replied, "Dan, you pompous ass."

I've been an SNL fan since day 1. Not much, if anything, gets by me in reference to that show.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

@saber5055 and I are in agreement. I'm old enough to remember (and to have enjoyed)  both the Point/Counterpoint segment on 60 Minutes as well as the SNL Dan Ackroyd/Jane Curtin takeoff. In fact, in the late '70s, I responded to the term of "ignorant slut" with great pride! (as the women on both shows were the liberal reasonable ones)

I figured you both were, but I like to cover the bases, just in case. 🙂

• Love 1

@labresq -- I don't believe this.  Since the coronavirus press conference wasn't on just now I turned to channel 17 and they are airing an episode of JUDGE JUDY!  Out of curiosity, I looked to see if it had aired earlier and been picked up by the DVR.  Yep.  and the first half of today's episode was preempted by a press conference by Governor Lee.  

So who knows when they are going air episodes these days. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Thalia said:

So who knows when they are going air episodes these days. 

*knocking wood* Jeopardy! aired here today just fine. *throw salt over left shoulder and spit into the wind*

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I got FJ.  Believe it or not.  Geography.  The bane of my existence.

I got the TS of morning/mourning, prodigal son, Key West, ruffle and Milo Ventimiglia

I got the entire category of shopping wrong.  And I got the entire categories of Movie and TV romances and Don Quixote right.

• Love 1

I was briefly concerned about FJ when I saw the category.  Fortunately, my concern was misplaced -- not quite an instaget, but close enough.  Spain was instant, I had to think for a second to come up with Portugal.

I also got the TS/missed DD of morning/mourning, Prodigal Son, Key West, CO2, and ruffle.  I was really surprised none of them knew Key West, but maybe they thought the clue wanted one of the other keys?  I don't know.

Anyone else think Joe looked a little older than the average college student?  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The way other games have gone, I kind of expect all three players from tonight to make the next round.

I think so, too. Unfortunate since I don't want to watch the "Jeopardy! Poodle On Your Head Tournament". I can't believe they'd let anyone go on TV with hair like that. If it was hair. I seriously expected it to look up and bark a few times.

• LOL 5
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Being a junior, he WAS older! I totally missed Johnny saying "sophomore," and didn't notice Alex saying it even once. Maybe there will be one tomorrow.

LOL that none of these kids watch This Is Us. And I thank all three of them for that.

I didn't know Key West was the name of the city/town. I thought that was the name of the island, like Santa Catalina is the name of the island while Avalon is a city on Santa Catalina. So add me to that TS, making it a QS.

I was fascinated by Beni's hair, I LOVED it. I wish I were his hair cutter/trimmer. I love trimming Bichons and Poodles, and no offense meant by that whatsoever. Side note: Saturday nights on dog-show weekends, we dog people can be found cutting (and coloring!) hair for the other handlers. I've learned a lot from them for cutting people hair. I'm already tops with grooming dogs. (not-so-humble brag)

Calling someone a prodigal son is right up there with so long and thanks for all the fish for fav sayings.

Because I know Spanish and have a good friend in Lisbon, FJ was a snap. And speaking of snap, my brain synapses are on fire with four FJs in a row, a record week for Saber. I'm SMOKIN'!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I think so, too. Unfortunate since I don't want to watch the "Jeopardy! Poodle On Your Head Tournament". I can't believe they'd let anyone go on TV with hair like that. If it was hair. I seriously expected it to look up and bark a few times.

His hairdo reminded me of the big, teased styles of the early sixties. Minus the beard for most of the girls, though. 

I found it a little distracting. There was a lot to be distracted by tonight, between him and poofy hair guy. 

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I have a greeting card which has Yo-Yo Ma and Boutros Boutros-Ghali ordering couscous and mahi mahi.  It was supposed to be someone's birthday card, but it amused me so much that I couldn't give it away.

Were they in Walla Walla or Baden Baden?

• LOL 6

For FJ at first I thought Spain and Portugal, but then figured that was too easy. Doh.

The only TSs I got were morning/mourning and The Prodigal Son. I watch This Is Us, but I couldn't remember Milo V's name. Even if I remembered it, I don't think I would have said it right.

It was a nice contest betw Joe and Beni.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It was a nice contest betw Joe and Beni.

Yeah, that was some luck that the only clue Beni didn't get correct in that category was the DD (if I remember correctly). All three were good players.

• Love 2

I watched Top Chef instead, so it was an archive night for me.

I can't say if the Key West TS surprised me, since I can't see the picture, but the Cabo San Lucas one did, even without being able to see that one.  But maybe I should just say it surprised me the USC student, who also grew up in Los Angeles, got it wrong.  The morning and mourning TS surprised me, too, and maybe ruffle just a little bit.  That's it -- good game.

Target was the only clue I knew in the shopping category, and I didn't know Gandalf, so another bad first round for me.  In DJ I missed one of the movie/TV clues (some actor's name I still don't know), but got everything else, and knew FJ, so I have a trend happening in this tournament.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL that none of these kids watch This Is Us. And I thank all three of them for that.

I've watched Milo in Gilmore Girls, Heros, and yes, This is Us (I am not ashamed!). And yet, I could not get his name out. Sigh.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was fascinated by Beni's hair, I LOVED it.

Since his hair is what my husband and daughter's hair would be like if they just leaned into the curls, I enjoyed his hair - and I enjoyed him.

16 hours ago, lb60 said:

FJ was an educated instaguess. Yes, that's a thing. 😉

Agreed. I knew the first was Spain (well, pretty sure) and the language of the other didn't look like French, so Portugal was my only other option (not that I was certain).

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Since you asked: I found this earlier today.

Thanks, that was interesting.

Edited by Clanstarling
Because the Gilbert Girls isn't a show, thank you Chessiegal
  • Love 2

Interesting article on Jane Curtin. Thanks.

I used to work for a guy whose last name was Vendi. He told me his dad had changed it after he immigrated from Italy - it used to be Ventimiglia, which means "twenty miles."  He then went on to tell me that when he was learning how to write his name, it *took* twenty miles for him to get all the letters in. That's when his dad decided to change their name. LOL.  (Milo *could* Anglicize it to "Miles" and then he'd be Milo Miles.)

At first, I thought Brazil and ...Bolivia? Then I noticed the year, exclaimed, "Duh," and went with Spain & Portugal, while wondering what language they speak in Andorra. Didn't care enough, though, to look it up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

wondering what language they speak in Andorra.

I did the search for you since I'm avoiding work and/or doing anything constructive. They speak Catalan in Andorra. It's the only country anywhere that has Catalan as its official language. However, people there also speak Spanish, French and Portuguese.

Hey, that could be a Jeopardy! clue some day.

We have another soph-o-more playing today, Friday. I need to make a note for me to pay attention when he/she is introduced.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At first, I thought Brazil and ...Bolivia? Then I noticed the year, exclaimed, "Duh," and went with Spain & Portugal, while wondering what language they speak in Andorra. Didn't care enough, though, to look it up.

Fortunately, I remembered the title of the category (European Borders). Andorra didn't occur to me - it never does. 😞

• Love 2
On 4/9/2020 at 9:16 AM, proserpina65 said:

I don't know much about college divisions, but I did realize it was probably a west coast school, and I did know they had the Cardinals as mascots.  Even if the Tree is more famous.

They are the Cardinal, singular. It's the color, not the bird, which is why they don't have an official mascot and instead have the Tree.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I had to root against the Liberty University girl on principle.  I despise the president of that "university" so much (and his father, and especially recently), and his students by proxy.  I am thrilled that she lost, and lost big.

FJ was another instaget for me, making 5/5 instagets this week.  Hooray for the College Tournament!  I was surprised the guy who won missed it.

Overall a good game!  Were there any TS?  There was the one missed DD of Beacon Hill, but if there were TS, I didn't get them or write them down.

• Love 11

I did not get final.  Last September feels like at least a century ago.

I got the missed DD of Beacon.

I got the entire categories of Deuteronomy, cats and fear words right. I also got the entire category of modern music wrong.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Overall a good game!  Were there any TS?  There was the one missed DD of Beacon Hill, but if there were TS, I didn't get them or write them down.

I think the only TS was Alexander Stephens.  I didn't get it either.  If there were others I didn't catch them.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think the only TS was Alexander Stephens.  I didn't get it either.  If there were others I didn't catch them.

They got Alexander Stephens.  I was wondering if he would be allowed to just say "Stephens."

11 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

They got Alexander Stephens.  I was wondering if he would be allowed to just say "Stephens."

Oh.  Well, I know there was one, it was the bottom clue of the category and that I didn't get it.

56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had to root against the Liberty University girl on principle.  I despise the president of that "university" so much (and his father, and especially recently), and his students by proxy.  I am thrilled that she lost, and lost big.

You were not the only one! My son has been stopping by every afternoon to check on me...thank you Mr. Virus...and we watch Jeopardy. He just sits there and answers all the questions quietly without much enthusiasm but boy was today different! He was cheering when the guys answered correctly and when the girl missed! I meant to check the recording to see how long she did not push the button at all...she was standing there like a lump! Jerry Falwell was my least liked television evangelist. Great grandmother loved him and donated all the time. When she died, the Falwell's called so many times to get money it wasn't funny...my father-in-law finally told them not to call again and hung up on them! We all applauded!

• Love 11

Hooray for the show writers, letting Mr. Trebek say "genre" four times. Best day ever. And didn't I hear a "Good for you" during interviews? Simple pleasures can be the best.

I was one of the 5,500 percent who searched for the definition of FJ, so this was an easy answer for me. I can see why two players missed it though, they probably already knew what it meant so they paid less attention, or no attention to it. I got blown off by a doctor friend when I said "quid pro quo" to him. He was all, yeah, so what. It was everyday language for him, he was not impressed by my newly found knowledge.

53 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I was wondering if he would be allowed to just say "Stephens."

Darrin.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to root against the Liberty University girl on principle.

Same here.  I normally root for the women, but no way I'm rooting for someone who'd choose that school.

Good game, with only two TS (Wilco and Warm Springs, for those who were wondering).

I didn't know Wilco, either.  Nor did I know Harry Styles, but those were the only two I missed in the first round (I was stunned to run the Deuteronomy category and only miss two in the modern music category), so my pattern of shitty first rounds in this tournament is broken.  In DJ, I didn't know magical realism or Spiderman, but got everything else.  FJ took a while to come to me, but it did.  (And then I sat here in surprise that so many people didn't know the term until then.) So I had a good game, too.

• Love 1

Quid Pro Quo was an instaget for me. Really surprised Tyler missed it.

I couldn't get Warm Springs out of my brain.

As for mezuzah, I first heard of it when watching one of The Drew Carey Show's "What's Wrong With This Episode" episodes.

• Love 1

So can someone explain why the date in Sept was supposed to lead to the answer of “quid pro quo”? September feels like decades ago but I don’t know what that is referring to. I was trying to think of some kind of three word political thing but couldn’t come up with anything. 

I’ve know what “quid pro quo” meant ever since Silence of the Lambs, so a mention of it would be totally inconspicuous to me.