Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Minnesota and Indiana!!  Two big ten candidates for the title so far. 

Joe parted his hair on the left.  I recently read people who part hair on the left instead of the right are viewed as less trustworthy, I believe, it was stated.  That's all I could think of looking at him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Minnesota and Indiana!!  Two big ten candidates for the title so far. 

Joe parted his hair on the left.  I recently read people who part hair on the left instead of the right are viewed as less trustworthy, I believe, it was stated.  That's all I could think of looking at him. 

I believe that about as much as I believe that people with small squinty eyes are inherently evil as opposed to near-sighted or having spent too much time in the sun.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I part my hair on the left. I'm very trustworthy. Honest. 

Me too.  Trust me.

Did not get FJ.  I was thinking of some physical thing that you can actually see, like a mountain or river, not an imaginary line.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 10

Another left-parter here, when it's not right down the middle. I'm completely trustworthy, and you can trust me on that. Yeah ... that's the ticket.

For all you Titanic people, may I present to you my answer of Lusitania.

I easily got "brown out" given my house had a bad case of those last winter.

I read FJ on TJF yesterday a.m. That town name looked like something in India or another similar country, so I went to Nepal, thinking Mt. Everest was the item on the map. Then I skipped to Pakistan with the map item of the Khyber Pass. Watching the show, I actually might have gotten the answer given Trebek's reading with a Spanish inflection. Or I might have at least been in the correct continent. South America never occurred to me otherwise.

So, my perfect FJ streak has ended. I know ... not a surprise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I part my hair on the left. I'm very trustworthy. Honest. 

And I don't part mine at all. So I guess my trustworthiness depends on the situation. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 5

I can't believe both of these games this week have had Harry Potter clues.  While, yes, I think that's a common cultural reference for college aged kids right now, there are others out there.

FJ was an instaget.  Semi-funny story.  Monday I was leaving work.  My boss told me to be careful because it was tornado weather.  I looked outside and said "doesn't look it."  He gave me a look.  I said "I used to live in the Midwest.  I know what tornado weather looks like."  "When did you live in the Midwest?"  "Ohio." (He knew I had lived there.).  "That's not the Midwest."  Jeopardy seems to disagree.

I got the TS of yew, adamant, and addled.

I got the entire categories of history, 3 letter words and adjectives.

The only video game I got was Q-bert.  I had an Atari back in the day and that was one of my games.  The graphic brought back memories and a smile to my face.

• Love 1

Was Marshall that fidgety during his first show?  He was driving me to distraction.  I can't imagine what it was like trying to play if I were standing next to him.  I can't say I'm sad he lost tonight.

And while I'm glad the girl won, her response of Babe Ruth breaking the color barrier was spectacularly bad.

I groaned when I saw the category for FJ -- presidents and geography are not my strongest subjects.  I took a wild-ass guess, basically the only city in the midwest I could think of with the name of a president, and lo and behold, much to my amazement, I was correct.  I'm stunned!  Oh, hey, and I even get an asterisk!

I also got yew, Alaska, and addled, though I wondered if "addlepated" would have been ruled correct.

• Love 9

Xiaoke should have been immediately disqualified for her answer of Babe Ruth.

I hope Marshall is getting a nice long rest, since standing up straight for 30 minutes seemed to be too exhausting for him. 

Despite his lame DD wager and Arizona Trail answer, 

oregon trail 90s GIF by Ethan Barnowsky

(really, he's never died of dysentery?), I was rooting for Nathaniel.

Yes, I'm cranky today. Why do you ask?

I'm also 0-3 for FJ, so there's that!!!

Nibir for the win.

ETA: I'm also a left parter, but I'm shifty as hell. Just keepin' it real. hahahahaha

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I should have come up with Cleveland, but couldn’t.  Couldn’t believe the guess for “breaking the color barrier” or however that was phrased.  Babe Ruth, seriously!

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say every single one of us has given a bone headed answer to a question.  Maybe she missed the color part and thought it was a speed barrier and answered with the most famous baseball player.  Maybe she decided before she ever showed up that if there was a baseball player question she was going to auto answer Babe Ruth.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

"Ohio." (He knew I had lived there.).  "That's not the Midwest."  Jeopardy seems to disagree.

As a born and raised Midwesterner -- it doesn't get more Midwest than living along the (upper) Mississippi River -- FJ confounded me. I went through the presidents I know who are buried in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri and even thought about Kentucky, but Ohio never entered my mind. I lived there five years going to college and never considered it Midwest. Heck, it's even on Eastern time. And if you fall out of Cleveland, you are in Pennsylvania. Andy on TJF said players should think about towns named for a president, and all three players did, and all three came up with a better answer than I did. Which was nothing.

I stand by Ohio NOT being in the Midwest, but I don't expect those West Coast writers to know all that much about our "flyover" states.

That FJ left me ... "addled."

But because I love the Rocky Mountains (and have been back and forth over the Continental Divide multiple times), I easily knew the Brooks Range is in Alaska. So a (very weak) yeay for me.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

had to think for about a half-second for FJ -- the name of the town looked like a Spanish word, so I went to South America, and then cartographic feature led me to the equator and Ecuador.  Good for me.

I thought it was Spanish but never made it to Ecuador.  I got stuck in Central America for some reason.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:58 PM, Katy M said:

I went to Africa on FJ, for whatever reason.  I said Sierra Leone.  

I got the TS of brownout, Fiat, John Quincy Adams and Titanic. 

I got the entire categories of potpourri, history and second right.

I didn't get John Quincy Adams, but did get the rest, as well as London and composed them.

I really disliked Londyn so I was happy with the end of that game.

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

didn't know the Harry Potter book (I knew it was a Harry Potter book, as I know platform 9-3/4 is Harry Potter, but that's it), or any of the Fantastical Substances clues other than my correct guess of Titanic, so not my best game.  FJ was an instaget, so at least I finished on a high note.

I said Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - the British title.

• Love 4

I was lucky I guessed Cleveland...could only think of Lincoln like everyone else but couldn't think of who was buried there. So I kept thinking of cities named for a "presidental name". Of course, I had no idea what relative was involved so I googled it... Cleveland was distantly related to General Moses Cleaveland, after whom the city of Cleveland, Ohio, was named. Now that is a piece of trivia! The spelling was even different!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

got the TS of yew, adamant, and addled.

I got the entire categories of history, 3 letter words and adjectives.

I said addle-pated, think they'd have given me credit?

44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Was Marshall that fidgety during his first show?  He was driving me to distraction.  I can't imagine what it was like trying to play if I were standing next to him.  I can't say I'm sad he lost tonight.

I wondered if he had back problems or something.

44 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Despite his lame DD wager and Arizona Trail answer, 

oregon trail 90s GIF by Ethan Barnowsky

(really, he's never died of dysentery?), I was rooting for Nathaniel.

🙂

• Love 1

Not as good a game tonight (for them, or me), but, finally, a match-up in which "my" contestant wins (although, yeah, that Babe Ruth answer - oh, dear).

The Alaska TS surprised me in that none of them even guessed a state.

I had no clue on most of the Sing Out clues and missed two others in the first round, so I was not off to a good start.  And it didn't get any better; in DJ, I didn't know a single video game, and missed one or two other clues as well.  I rebounded with a lucky guess for FJ, but not a good game for me.

I guessed Madison, WI for FJ. But I guess maybe WI isn’t considered part of the Midwest. 

I’ve loved all the high scoring and evenly matched games this week.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I guessed Madison, WI for FJ. But I guess maybe WI isn’t considered part of the Midwest. 

Oh, wow, GREAT GUESS. It's wrong, but it's a great guess. Heh heh. And yes, Wisconsin is def in the Midwest, Illinois wears it as a hat. Props to you for the Best Wrong Answer today.

I like these players starting at the bottom or middle, trying to get the most $ while DD searching, and betting big on the DDs. I wish the OLD PLAYERS/SENIORS* were that bold and confident.

*Anyone aged somewhere around 50.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And I don't part mine at all. So I guess my trustworthiness depends on the situation. 😉

Depends on which way the wind blows.

I got yew, Alaska, and addled.

For FJ at first I thought Cleveland but then dismissed that for some reason. 😞

I was rooting for Nathaniel.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought surely somebody would take Marshall aside between games and tell him to stop fidgeting!  Alas, he was even worse. Could it be a medical condition?

Count another addlepated here. I think it would have been accepted. Merriam-Webster recognizes it, although Autocorrect doesn't. Autocorrect has become my worst enema. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, wow, GREAT GUESS. It's wrong, but it's a great guess. Heh heh. And yes, Wisconsin is def in the Midwest, Illinois wears it as a hat. Props to you for the Best Wrong Answer today.

I said Jefferson City. Can I have WORST wrong answer?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, opus said:

I considered Jefferson City, too, but didn’t really like it because what president is buried there? As for worst guess, I think you’re being too hard on yourself.  I thought Lincoln was not really a good answer at all.  Lincoln wasn’t named for the relative of a president; it was named for the president so I discarded pretty quickly. I also thought of Madison but dropped that too. Basically I had no guess.🤗 

If Ohio isn’t the Midwest, what is it? 

Edited by OneWouldHope
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

The only video game I got was Q-bert.  I had an Atari back in the day and that was one of my games.  The graphic brought back memories and a smile to my face.

Q-bert is possibly the only game I would have recognized. My then new boyfriend (now husband of 30+ years) took me to a video game place to introduce me to games. Q-Bert was the one I liked (and there was one with building a hamburger - chased by salt and pepper - but I forget its name).

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And while I'm glad the girl won, her response of Babe Ruth breaking the color barrier was spectacularly bad.

I groaned when I saw the category for FJ -- presidents and geography are not my strongest subjects.  I took a wild-ass guess, basically the only city in the midwest I could think of with the name of a president, and lo and behold, much to my amazement, I was correct.  I'm stunned!  Oh, hey, and I even get an asterisk!

I also got yew, Alaska, and addled, though I wondered if "addlepated" would have been ruled correct.

He was also fidgety in the breaks. I think he just may be a fidgety person. I tutored a boy like him once.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say every single one of us has given a bone headed answer to a question.  Maybe she missed the color part and thought it was a speed barrier and answered with the most famous baseball player.  Maybe she decided before she ever showed up that if there was a baseball player question she was going to auto answer Babe Ruth.

Very true. When she gave that answer, I said "boy, wouldn't Babe be surprised to hear that."

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As a born and raised Midwesterner -- it doesn't get more Midwest than living along the (upper) Mississippi River -- FJ confounded me. I went through the presidents I know who are buried in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri and even thought about Kentucky, but Ohio never entered my mind. I lived there five years going to college and never considered it Midwest. Heck, it's even on Eastern time. And if you fall out of Cleveland, you are in Pennsylvania. Andy on TJF said players should think about towns named for a president, and all three players did, and all three came up with a better answer than I did. Which was nothing.

I stand by Ohio NOT being in the Midwest, but I don't expect those West Coast writers to know all that much about our "flyover" states.

Those denying Ohio remind me of my father's cousin, who would claim (imagine thick southern accent) "There ain't but three Southern states - Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia." (BTW, the Census Bureau lists Ohio as a Midwestern state - so maybe the West Coast isn't to blame)

9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The baseball answer of Ruth was also outside the time of the breakthrough.  Ruth had been retired, what, 12 years by 1947.

And a year before he died. 😥

I also said addle-pated, and I think they would have accepted it. I like the sound of that word, it's fun to say.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, OneWouldHope said:

If Ohio isn’t the Midwest, what is it?

Another semi-funny story regarding this.  Sorry.  I'm bored.

I was in college and a bunch of us were hanging out in a dorm room.  One of my friends was reading the jokes in Reader's Digest (kids ask your parents).  So, she was in the campus comedy section.  The professor had asked if anyone was from the Mid-east.  A student raised her hand.  He was surprised because she didn't look like a mid-Easterner so he asked her where she was from.  Ohio.

A different friend complained that made us look stupid.  Can't disagree with that assessment.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, lb60 said:

Seriously. That’s one of those answers that’s so unspeakably bad that a trap door should open beneath their podium and swallow them up. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

Seriously. That’s one of those answers that’s so unspeakably bad that a trap door should open beneath their podium and swallow them up. 

That visual image will have me chuckling all day.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Another semi-funny story regarding this.  Sorry.  I'm bored.

I was in college and a bunch of us were hanging out in a dorm room.  One of my friends was reading the jokes in Reader's Digest (kids ask your parents).  So, she was in the campus comedy section.  The professor had asked if anyone was from the Mid-east.  A student raised her hand.  He was surprised because she didn't look like a mid-Easterner so he asked her where she was from.  Ohio.

A different friend complained that made us look stupid.  Can't disagree with that assessment.

Having lived on the west coast most of the time I've lived in the US, I have a bad habit of saying mid- east instead of mid-west. 😆

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, opus said:

Okay, if you insist. But I'd prefer to call it the Second Best Wrong Answer. I went the opposite way of thinking from everyone else, I was mentally going through where Midwestern presidents lived, died, were buried, had presidential libraries. If the show hadn't ended, I'd still be pondering ... and coming up with nothing.

It took me decades to get rid of my Central Ohio Hilljack accent when I moved back to Illinois. Everyone in the True Midwest wondered where in the heck I was from because of it. Even store clerks would ask me about it. Yeah, Ohio is a different sort of place. No offense, BuckeyeLou.

Nathaniel might have a disk problem or another medical reason why he can't stand for periods of time, or tardive dyskinesia. He also might be sight impaired and could see the clue board better when he leaned toward it. IMO, he can lean and fidget all he wants, he's smart enough to get on this show and win a tournament round. I have no doubt he will go on to be successful in whatever endeavor he chooses. I'd be proud if he were my son.

• Love 2

Seriously. That’s one of those answers that’s so unspeakably bad that a trap door should open beneath their podium and swallow them up. 

That one was Hall of Fame bad. But I was happy she won in the end. 

• Love 2

So, for FJ, there was the possibility of Cleveland, Lincoln, Jefferson City, and Madison ("presidential cities"), and yet, I couldn't thing of anything! Now I feel really dumb.

• LOL 3

I guessed on FJ and got it correct.  

Don't care why he was doing it, still is annoying to watch the fidgeting all game and glad I don't have to see it again.  Not just leaning over, also kept playing with his sleeves on his sweatshirt. 

Babe ruth???  One of the worst answers ever.   I hope she just misunderstood the question.  Surely that is the reason

For people in California and NY, the Midwest seems to be anything west of NY and/or east of California. 

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(and there was one with building a hamburger - chased by salt and pepper - but I forget its name).

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

that was burgertime.  Fun game.  I was never that into Qbert, though I played.  I knew that one

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

For people in California and NY, the Midwest seems to be anything west of NY and/or east of California.

Yes, I agree. What counts as Midwest depends on where you are. Just like upstate New York is one thing to people in downstate NY and another to the rest of New York state.

• Love 1

Per Wikipedia, the Rockies do not extend into Alaska but end in northern British Columbia. Are Jeopardy writers correct or is Wikipedia correct?  Anyway, I answered Washington for that question because I didn't think they did go into Alaska.

Did not get FJ.  Lincoln was really the only city I could think of but I knew it was wrong.   

These last three games have been very good; hope the two final games are as good.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Trey said:

Per Wikipedia, the Rockies do not extend into Alaska but end in northern British Columbia. Are Jeopardy writers correct or is Wikipedia correct?  Anyway, I answered Washington for that question because I didn't think they did go into Alaska.

Per the Encyclopedia Britannica sometimes the Brooks range in Alaska is included in the Rockies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Bye bye Marshall! I don't care if he has a medical condition ( I guess I'm a bad person), but my entire family kept yelling at the TV, "Stand up straight!"

That "curling" was an answer after the contestant story was so funny. Alex was quite cute talking about it. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That FJ left me ... "addled."

But because I love the Rocky Mountains (and have been back and forth over the Continental Divide multiple times), I easily knew the Brooks Range is in Alaska. So a (very weak) yeay for me.

I grew up in Michigan, and we thought of ourselves as Midwesterners.  Ohio, too.  What are we if not Midwestern?

• Love 3

Was Marshall that fidgety during his first show?  He was driving me to distraction.

And I kept thinking: Do they allow bathroom breaks?

I guessed Madison since that's where I attended college. Then I un-guessed Madison because that's where I attended college.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Ah, well, my streak of instaget FJs comes screeching to a halt.  I've read a lot of Shakespeare, but haven't read The Tempest -- I never would have gotten it.  

I did get DA and leave a penny.  

• Love 4

I had no idea on FJ.  I was eliminating plays, but ran out of time and never read The Tempest.  I said A comedy of Errors which I also never read.

I got the TS of intolerable and district of attorney.