Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, if it doesn't actually say it has to be in order in the clue, I don't care.  But hey, we all have our own pet peeves about Jeopardy.

True. Besides the subject/verb agreement, giving the answer out of order is one of my pet peeves. I know it's not incorrect; it just grates on my ear.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But do you alphabetize your spices?  

I alphabetized ours. I live with my sister, so they're actually hers. I first tried to group them by savory, sweets, etc., but that didn't work. I wrote the name on top with a sharpie.

The Underwear Bomber. What an alias to live with.
"They call me the Hacksaw Murderer."
"I'm known as The Slasher."
"I'm The Underwear Bomber!"

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Could not get Swarovski out of my mouth, I kept saying the first three letters.

NrcLEJMDJcKkgeVPsVPSDjwBWYNIiT9uCjTRCt-b

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Just curious, why the bottoms of the cans? Couldn't you just write on the tops and store them right side up? Love the idea, though. Unfortunately, I only have shelves in the pantry, which just get jumbled.

I arrange my spices in order of most used.

I'm not sure why I write on the bottoms, only that I won't get squicked out if some of the contents slop over the lid when I'm opening the cans. My mom used to hate using the lid to drain the tuna. I guess I've gotten a little better than her on that particular quirk.

I couldn't decide between Alberta or Manitoba, so I went with Alberta. I know better. PRAIRIE = not Alberta.

• Love 2

I am Canadian and I didn't know we had a Four Corners. To be fair, Nunavut has only been around since 1999, when the Northwest Territories were split into 2 entities.  But I knew it had to be Manitoba as opposed to Alberta which is too far west.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure why I write on the bottoms, only that I won't get squicked out if some of the contents slop over the lid when I'm opening the cans. My mom used to hate using the lid to drain the tuna. I guess I've gotten a little better than her on that particular quirk.

I couldn't decide between Alberta or Manitoba, so I went with Alberta. I know better. PRAIRIE = not Alberta.

Makes sense to me, didn't think about that.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Just curious, why the bottoms of the cans? Couldn't you just write on the tops and store them right side up?

This obviously was written by someone who would lose sleep if one can was upside down. Or not facing the same way as the others. <more sarcasm>

My spices are all shoved into a two-tier box in one cupboard, which is why I'll buy basil and then discover I already have three unopened ones. If I'm looking for a particular spice, the bottles will come tumbling out of the cupboard if I don't catch and shove them back in.

Yes, my spice storage very much resembles my real life.

I've noticed for a while that Trebek has been nicer, not snarking on or being rude to players. The interviews have been fun and lighthearted, and I'm enjoying Mr. Trebek again. He seems to be enjoying himself again too. So, whatever the reason, thank you.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure why I write on the bottoms, only that I won't get squicked out if some of the contents slop over the lid when I'm opening the cans.

Get yourself a side-opener can opener. After I filleted my hand on the lid of a dog-food can opened with a traditional top-cutting can opener (resulting in a trip to the ER and multiple stitches), I was justifiably gun shy about opening another can. So I bought a side opener and LOVE it. Not only are the dangerous hand-slashing lids gone, these lids pop back onto the top of the opened can so they can be stored in the fridge if contents isn't used all at once. Like dog food.

It is a problem with tuna though, if one uses the lid to squish the juice out to drain the tuna. I did use my old top opener for tuna a while back, but was ultra careful with it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I am Canadian and I didn't know we had a Four Corners. To be fair, Nunavut has only been around since 1999, when the Northwest Territories were split into 2 entities.  But I knew it had to be Manitoba as opposed to Alberta which is too far west.

They did that after I finished school, so I literally only heard about it on J!.  Everytime it is mentioned, though, I think it's unfair--Nunavut is AFTER my time, so I should get a pass, right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, labresq said:

Please post here if you find out anything.  I'm really missing it and would love to know it's being aired another time.

I contacted Channel 17 via Facebook.  I got a response around 8 pm:  If the show is preempted they are showing it at night, after the late news.  Like me, your next question might be "when?"  I didn't get a response to that one until 3 am.  By that time I had taped every show they had, but the answer is 11:35.  The person also responded to my request that they tell people this, and he or she said it was in the news ticker at the bottom of the press conference.  Not only have I looked at not seen that, I've contacted half a dozen other Nashville Jeopardy fans and none of them had seen it either.  

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Speaking of which, do we know how many shows are in the can? Will there be a complete season?

the website "thejeopardyfan dot com" says the show should have episodes through May 29. 

• Love 1

A question for our Canadian viewers - is Alberta considered a prairie province there? The internet tells me it is a prairie province (but of course doesn't fit the rest of the clue). Just curious 🙂

I got Korea for soju because of Soju the drag queen who is Korean. Mr. Pallida was super confused when I held up a picture without context and said "this is why I knew Korea!!!" 

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This obviously was written by someone who would lose sleep if one can was upside down. Or not facing the same way as the others. <more sarcasm>

Nope. My pantry is a mess.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Get yourself a side-opener can opener. After I filleted my hand on the lid of a dog-food can opened with a traditional top-cutting can opener (resulting in a trip to the ER and multiple stitches), I was justifiably gun shy about opening another can. So I bought a side opener and LOVE it. Not only are the dangerous hand-slashing lids gone, these lids pop back onto the top of the opened can so they can be stored in the fridge if contents isn't used all at once. Like dog food.

It is a problem with tuna though, if one uses the lid to squish the juice out to drain the tuna. I did use my old top opener for tuna a while back, but was ultra careful with it.

I do love my side-opener can opener for all the same reasons. I get 2oz tuna cans, which have a pull top. But those are scary too.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Pallida said:

A question for our Canadian viewers - is Alberta considered a prairie province there? The internet tells me it is a prairie province (but of course doesn't fit the rest of the clue). Just curious 🙂

I consider Alberta to be a prairie province and so does the internet, as you stated; it has a fair amount of praire and lots of wheat/grains are grown there. But it does have the footlands of the Rocky Mountains in the western part so it's not completely prairie.

• Useful 1

One of the writers has to be from WNY or Southern Ontario. I tried to email once from the official J! Site but never got a response. There are too many clues for coincidence.

(edited)

i guessed FJ right.

I got the TS of Philadelphia, Hoover, Minoxidil (which I remember from he Rogaine commercial), mini skirk, affirm, and Abyssinia.

I got the entire categories of famous names, 3 Is and the partial category of Vietnam War right.

Edited by Katy M

I thought Felicity was the weakest player who made her bucks in the monsters category. We shall see tomorrow. I got two TS: Philadelphia, and Niagara on the Lake (only because we visited there one time..it's so pretty).  No idea on FJ.

Another WAG on FJ.  Figured Hemingway was likely, and Spain is said to be sunny.  I  have not read TSAR, only enough Hemingway to realize it's not for me.

• Love 1

FJ=instaget.

My reasoning was Spain=bullfighting=Hemingway=The Sun Also Rises.

Then, I started to doubt myself that I had the right book because it seemed too easy for me. lol

I also got Philadelphia and mini-skirt.

31 minutes ago, Driad said:

Another WAG on FJ.  Figured Hemingway was likely, and Spain is said to be sunny.  I  have not read TSAR, only enough Hemingway to realize it's not for me.

I've never read The Sun Also Rises, but know enough about the plot to realize it involved Lady Brett Ashley being romanced by a matador in Spain.  Must've read that in the movie description on TCM.  I think it also involved another man who had an unfortunate injury from WWI.

I got Philadelphia and mini skirt.  I'm surprised the contestant didn't get it, given the sixties and skirts.

Tom Lehrer did the best description of bullfighting:
"... I hadn't had so much fun since the day
My brother's dog Rover got run over.
Rover was killed by a Pontiac,
And it was done with such grace and artistry
That the witnesses awarded the driver
Both ears and the tail."

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was also wondering why the bottom and not the tops of the cans!

4 hours ago, Trey said:

I consider Alberta to be a prairie province and so does the internet, as you stated; it has a fair amount of praire and lots of wheat/grains are grown there. But it does have the footlands of the Rocky Mountains in the western part so it's not completely prairie.

I never did think of Alberta a prairie province, but I feel like this came up on Jeopardy fairly recently where they specified a prairie province and the answer was Alberta.  I then learned that despite the mountains in its west, it is considered part of the prairies.

Instaget on FJ. I have read The Sun Also Rises, but I also remembering hearing that Lady Brett was based on an actual person, so easy peasy.

I got The Snowy Day and mini-skirt.

Why did Alex say about 'idolization' "We'll accept that." Was there another answer they were going for?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Why did Alex say about 'idolization' "We'll accept that." Was there another answer they were going for?

I thought they were going for deification.

Edited by dgpolo
right form of word
  • Love 13

No one got Starship Troopers!!!  Granted the movie is a B movie grade popcorn flick that completely misses and/or ignores the point of the classic novel, but still thought they'd know that one.  Still a well known movie. 

I have read The sun also rises so got FJ.  Also knew minoxidil, though I was confused because I was spelling it wrong in my head and couldn't come up with three "I"s. 

I completely guessed FJ. Out of the blue. I don’t even know what the plot of that book is at all. I was a Steinbeck person, not Hemingway. (I’m not sure why in my mind I have those two in a Beatles/Stones-like literary rivalry.)

I would love to know what an Edsel skirt would look like.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I watched Top Chef instead, so just checked the archive for tonight's game.

The Philadelphia TS was pretty surprising.  And the CB radio answer for the polygraph clue was oddly amusing.

The Vietnam War category (at least based on the clues uncovered) belonged in the first round, not DJ.

I didn't know Sagittarius, and was as stumped as the contestants by hobble skirt in the first round.  In DJ, the Bible books category did not do me in as it generally would - I didn't know any of them, but I correctly guessed all but one.  But I missed silver dollars, minoxidil, and Starship Troopers along with the contestants, and didn't know Predator (even being able to see the picture wouldn't have helped), so with just over half a dozen misses, not among my best games.  But I finished by getting FJ; Spain and the year tentatively led me to the correct guess.

42 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No one got Starship Troopers!!!

I kept saying Star..Star..Star.. but the rest never came ☹️ Said 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' for FJ so I at least got the right author😕

10 hours ago, Thalia said:

I contacted Channel 17 via Facebook.  I got a response around 8 pm:  If the show is preempted they are showing it at night, after the late news.  Like me, your next question might be "when?"  I didn't get a response to that one until 3 am.  By that time I had taped every show they had, but the answer is 11:35.  The person also responded to my request that they tell people this, and he or she said it was in the news ticker at the bottom of the press conference.  Not only have I looked at not seen that, I've contacted half a dozen other Nashville Jeopardy fans and none of them had seen it either.

Oh, bless you!  I am not watching the press conferences so don't see the ticker.  I really appreciate your looking into this.  Thank you!

• Love 1

I knew it was Hemingway.  I knew the character they were going for was Lady Brett Ashley.  I couldn't pull the title of the book out of the recesses of my brain!

A Farewell to...no, the other one...*dang*!  

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Driad said:

I'm a lit major who did not care for Hemingway.  Steinbeck was more to my tastes.

9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I kept saying Star..Star..Star.. but the rest never came ☹️ Said 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' for FJ so I at least got the right author😕

I got "troopers" and came up with "Space Troopers."  Sigh...

Said 'For Whom the Bell Tolls" as well.

I got Predator, somehow. I've never seen the movies, but I must have absorbed what the monster looked like from trailers and such.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

FJ=instaget.

My reasoning was Spain=bullfighting=Hemingway=The Sun Also Rises.

Then, I started to doubt myself that I had the right book because it seemed too easy for me. lol

I wavered between that book and For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I know (though I haven't read it) is also set in Spain.

I did not realize that Mini was a kind of car!

• Love 2
(edited)
53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes I had no idea there was ever a car called the mini

The Mini Cooper but I never knew that was the inspiration for the mini skirt! I thought it was because it was short, thus the maxi is long!

Edited to add: first built in 1959

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No one got Starship Troopers!!!  Granted the movie is a B movie grade popcorn flick that completely misses and/or ignores the point of the classic novel, but still thought they'd know that one.  Still a well known movie. 

I knew the movie but couldn't recall the title. For one thing, I kept thinking it began with "The." I'm saying that's what threw me off.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

... was as stumped as the contestants by hobble skirt in the first round.

I got a giggle out of Alex describing how difficult it was to walk in one, as if from first-hand experience.

11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Said 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' for FJ so I at least got the right author😕

As Alex said, Close but no cigar.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Predator, somehow. I've never seen the movies, but I must have absorbed what the monster looked like from trailers and such.

Likewise. A couple of years ago there was a lot of hype around "Alien vs. Predator," so I knew what the creature looked like. 

• Love 2

I could picture Starship Troopers. I knew it was a Heinlein book. My brain went to Super Troopers and I got so stuck on "why did I think of that movie???" that I didn't make the jump. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

I could picture Starship Troopers. I knew it was a Heinlein book. My brain went to Super Troopers and I got so stuck on "why did I think of that movie???" that I didn't make the jump. 

See, when you say that, I think of Abba's Super Trouper. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never read The Sun Also Rises, but know enough about the plot to realize it involved Lady Brett Ashley being romanced by a matador in Spain.

I've never read it, either, and the name Lady Brett Ashley didn't ring a bell at all. I did remember, however, that Hemingway lived in Europe for a while between the World Wars. "The Sun Also Rises" was his first published novel and, to this day, considered by many to be his best. The timeframe matched so I went with it.

I actually got FJ tonight!  The funny part is that I was trying in vain to come up with Hearst, but that name wouldn't come to me at all.  I settled for Pulitzer simply because I knew the name.  I really thought I was wrong.  

And apparently I know more about African geography than I thought I did -- I got both Rabat and Zimbabwe (and the clues that were answered correctly).  I also got amour, and Minoan.

• Love 1

I knew it was wrong, but I also said Hearst, because he was literally the only Newspaper man I could think of.

I got the TS of Charles De Gaulle, Thomas Mann and Rabat.

I got the entire category of Hamurabi right.

• Love 1
(edited)

Felicity proved me wrong... she won again tonight. Good thing my husband, a Michigan grad, wasn't watching. When they played Hail to the Victors, and the contestants just stood there, I started laughing (I have to hear that tune every Saturday in the fall). I said Hearst too but I knew it didn't sound Hungarian.

P.S.  When I told him about that hilarious TS, he was stunned!  He said seriously, "Everybody recognizes Hail to the Victors".  😎

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I actually got FJ tonight!  The funny part is that I was trying in vain to come up with Hearst, but that name wouldn't come to me at all.  I settled for Pulitzer simply because I knew the name.  I really thought I was wrong.  

And apparently I know more about African geography than I thought I did -- I got both Rabat and Zimbabwe (and the clues that were answered correctly).  I also got amour, and Minoan.

I got FJ, too, but it was just a guess.  I got amour, Rabat and Minoan.  I also got Michigan, mainly because I knew it wasn't On Wisconsin.  I couldn't come up with Zimbabwe in time - Zambia got in the way.  And all I could say for theremin was "oh, that thing in the Midsomer Murders theme"; I don't suppose they'd have accepted that?

22 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I thought they were going for deification.

That was my answer.

21 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also knew minoxidil, though I was confused because I was spelling it wrong in my head and couldn't come up with three "I"s. 

I tried to make it dimoxinil,.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

image.png.08964b791c35cd1ca026e132dc90fdf3.png Mini

I love Minis.  Didn't know that Mary Quant did, too, but mini skirt was so obvious.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of Charles De Gaulle, Thomas Mann and Rabat.

I got the entire category of Hamurabi right.

Me, too, on all of those.  I was surprised that De Gualle was a TS.

• Love 1

For FJ, I said Jacob Riis.  Journalist, immigrant, right time period, check check check.  But he was from Denmark and apparently he did not write what the clue said.