Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I get what Alex was going for when he said "Aren't you glad we don't live in Hammurabi's time?" at the end of that category (he meant it in a general sense), but it sounded really weird coming directly after a clue about a law requiring men to pay child support. I did a double take.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

This sounds like some kind of weird Fanny Dooley clue.

I had no idea what a Fanny Dooley clue was until I googled it a few minutes ago. I'd heard it referred to as "behind Sally's green glass door" and "Tillie Green." Thank you for teaching me something!

I knew "amour" also but did not realize it referred to illicit affairs. I thought it was just a generic word for "love." There was a French movie years ago called "Amour" and it was definitely not about an affair. It was about an elderly couple in their last days.

I said Hearst for FJ too.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I actually got FJ tonight!  The funny part is that I was trying in vain to come up with Hearst, but that name wouldn't come to me at all.  I settled for Pulitzer simply because I knew the name.  I really thought I was wrong.  

And apparently I know more about African geography than I thought I did -- I got both Rabat and Zimbabwe (and the clues that were answered correctly).  I also got amour, and Minoan.

I didn't say amour because I thought that was too obvious (when will I ever learn?), and got Minoan as an instaget thanks to a jetpunk quiz I did the other day. I would have arrived at it, possibly in time, but thanks to the quiz it was readily accessible.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of Hamurabi right.

Me too. I don't often sweep a category, it was nice.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Felicity proved me wrong... she won again tonight. Good thing my husband, a Michigan grad, wasn't watching. When they played Hail to the Victors, and the contestants just stood there, I started laughing (I have to hear that tune every Saturday in the fall). I said Hearst too but I knew it didn't sound Hungarian.

P.S.  When I told him about that hilarious TS, he was stunned!  He said seriously, "Everybody recognizes Hail to the Victors".  😎

I recognized the music, but never would have gotten to the song. My husband, however, a big college basketball fan, knew it right away.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The funny part is that I was trying in vain to come up with Hearst, but that name wouldn't come to me at all.

I was trying to come up with Horace Greeley - it never came to me (until late last night), but I did come across Pulitzer and  figured that was right anyhow.

Only ts for me was DeGaulle. 

I do like the current champ.  I told Mr.Trey that I really liked her haircut - he says it is exactly the same as mine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I get what Alex was going for when he said "Aren't you glad we don't live in Hammurabi's time?" at the end of that category (he meant it in a general sense), but it sounded really weird coming directly after a clue about a law requiring men to pay child support. I did a double take.

I thought the exact same thing. Awkward timing.

I got Thursday's FJ even though I have read either The Sun Also Rises or For Whom the Bell Tolls and can never remember which one. It had Jake and Lady Brett Ashley in it ... I just can never remember which of them it is. I keep meaning to read the other one so that I can finally keep it straight.

Friday, I had nothing. I thought of Hearst but 1. it hardly sounded Hungarian and 2. I didn't think he was born outside the US. I had no idea Pulitzer was Hungarian, but it made a lot more sense than Hearst.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I do like the current champ.  I told Mr.Trey that I really liked her haircut - he says it is exactly the same as mine.

So funny. I love her hair too but wasn't going to comment on it until I read this post. She's a favorite player because of it. So I guess by association, I like your haircut as well, @Trey. I also give high approval to women who have ponytails or a pigtail, my chosen hairstyle, and bangs rock.

I got the Michigan fight song having lived in Columbus, Ohio, just off the OSU campus, in the time of Woody Hayes.

One thing the J-Archive can't do is read a clue in the voice of Foghorn Leghorn. I answered that one before Trebek even got the second word out of his mouth.

Trebek continues to be lighthearted and fun during the interviews and the show. I really don't miss the old snarkmaster.

As for living in the time of Hammurabi, I wish we still were. I pretty much agreed with all his rules and regulations.

• Love 4

I missed last night's game, so just checked the archive.

Lots of audio/video components to first round clues, which I can't hear/see via the archive, but, thankfully, I didn't need them to get the Megan Rapinoe, Malibu, yodeling, and foghorn clues, but not being able to hear the fight song meant I had no shot (other than randomly guessing a Big Ten school and happening to pick the right one) -- I doubt I'd have been able to connect song to school even if I'd heard it; I would have only ever heard it because of sports, and I don't watch much Big Ten.  The picture wouldn't have helped me with theremin, either, as I've never heard of it.  I would have known woodpecker, though!

In addition to those, I missed all but two of the TV Transports clues, so it was not a good first round for me.  I did better in DJ, missing one Atlantis clue (when I thought I'd bomb the whole category) and two Nobel nominees clues.  And I correctly guessed FJ.

The Charles de Gaulle TS was surprising.  Amour, too; maybe the second part of the clue made them think it was something different?  The Strasberg TS surprised me a little, but I think I overestimated how common the knowledge that "pioneer of method acting" = Lee Strasberg is.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The picture wouldn't have helped me with theremin, either, as I've never heard of it. 

There was no picture with that clue, so it didn't help me either!  I knew it was going to be something we had talked about here, but I just couldn't for the life of me remember.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

There was no picture with that clue, so it didn't help me either!

Ah, an audio file, then.  That wouldn't have helped me, either.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So funny. I love her hair too but wasn't going to comment on it until I read this post. She's a favorite player because of it. So I guess by association, I like your haircut as well, @Trey. I also give high approval to women who have ponytails or a pigtail, my chosen hairstyle, and bangs rock.

I got the Michigan fight song having lived in Columbus, Ohio, just off the OSU campus, in the time of Woody Hayes.

One thing the J-Archive can't do is read a clue in the voice of Foghorn Leghorn. I answered that one before Trebek even got the second word out of his mouth.

Trebek continues to be lighthearted and fun during the interviews and the show. I really don't miss the old snarkmaster.

As for living in the time of Hammurabi, I wish we still were. I pretty much agreed with all his rules and regulations.

Whoa saber!  I attended THE Ohio State University back in the Woody Hayes days, North High St., the Agora & all that 🙂  My hubby had some classes with Archie Griffin 🙂

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Whoa saber!  I attended THE Ohio State University back in the Woody Hayes days, North High St., the Agora & all that 🙂  My hubby had some classes with Archie Griffin 🙂

Holy cow! I lived on East 13th, five blocks due east of the student union where I'd go on movie night. I was two houses west of the train tracks and the state fairgrounds, where we had a hole cut in the fence so it was a (free) walk through to dog-training classes, horse shows and other events. I lived in a super-great two-story duplex there my junior and senior years at Columbus College of Art and Design, i rode my bike downtown for classes. My boyfriend went to OSU ... as did everyone else in the neighborhood. So many good times.

I remember on weekends when OSU was playing football, cars would sit at lights, not moving, while drivers listened to the game on the radio. Game days were also great times to go out, nobody was on the streets.

Bernie's Bagels, Seva, Wendy's, when the burgers were so huge you couldn't eat a double by yourself. I bet I saw you at the Agora!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Holy cow! I lived on East 13th, five blocks due east of the student union where I'd go on movie night. I was two houses west of the train tracks and the state fairgrounds, where we had a hole cut in the fence so it was a (free) walk through to dog-training classes, horse shows and other events. I lived in a super-great two-story duplex there my junior and senior years at Columbus College of Art and Design, i rode my bike downtown for classes. My boyfriend went to OSU ... as did everyone else in the neighborhood. So many good times.

I remember on weekends when OSU was playing football, cars would sit at lights, not moving, while drivers listened to the game on the radio. Game days were also great times to go out, nobody was on the streets.

Bernie's Bagels, Seva, Wendy's, when the burgers were so huge you couldn't eat a double by yourself. I bet I saw you at the Agora!

Fun!  I worked at the Student Union for a couple of years.  Yes, Original Wendy's(my sister taught the real Wendy in a summer kids' class),  and the whole city of Columbus does come to a stand-still when the games are on 🙂  To bring it back to "Jeopardy",  boo to playing "Hail to the Victors", they should have played "Buckeye Battle Cry" O-H-I-O 🙂

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Charles de Gaulle TS was surprising.  Amour, too; maybe the second part of the clue made them think it was something different?  The Strasberg TS surprised me a little, but I think I overestimated how common the knowledge that "pioneer of method acting" = Lee Strasberg is.

Yes, the second part of the amour clue threw me. As for Stasberg, though I am fairly well versed, I tend to think of him as a teacher, not an actor himself. So I didn't get it. I was going for one of his students instead. 😞

• Love 1

Instead of Strasberg, I was picturing another actor whose name I couldn't remember. It was this guy:

MV5BMTQ0OTU5ODYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYx

Jerry Adler. But he was in The Sopranos, not The Godfather.

As for Charles de Gaulle, I didn't know he was a writer.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me neither, but our military family was directly impacted by deGaulle's policies not long after the date in the clue. So I was able to get there.

My initial guess for Friday's FJ was Howard Hearst. lol Yes, I was thinking of Howard Hughes and William Randolph Hearst. Minor detail that neither are foreign born. Pulitzer popped into my little noggin' at the last possible second. Win!!

I also got amour and Strasberg.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think all politicians, ex presidents, first ladies, movie stars and everyone else who publishes a book calls themselves a "writer" or "author," even though a "real" writer is the one who ghost wrote those books. The ghost just doesn't get the byline.

I learned today that it's pronounced New-FOUND-land in Ireland.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think all politicians, ex presidents, first ladies, movie stars and everyone else who publishes a book calls themselves a "writer" or "author," even though a "real" writer is the one who ghost wrote those books. The ghost just doesn't get the byline.

I learned today that it's pronounced New-FOUND-land in Ireland.

That's certainly true of many. I don't know how good of a writer DeGaulle was, but he was apparently writing and publishing  as early as 1924 (in his 30s, and 33 years before he became President) and had published 15 books before he died. That kind of implies he did at least some of his own writing. I looked it up because I was curious and was pretty surprised at what I found.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

My market has been interrupting Jeopardy with national and local coronavirus press conferences for the last couple weeks, but suddenly they yanked it out of the timeslot altogether and replaced it with something called America Says. Apparently they moved Jeopardy to noon, I guess so they wouldn't have to interrupt it, but they didn't tell me they were doing it. So thanks to someone here for the tip about dailymotion; I was able to catch Thursday's and Friday's games there.

I got FJ; I don't know why I know Pulitzer was Hungarian, but I do. I still don't know who Shanon was referring to with Hershel, even after googling. Did she just write down a name?

It felt a little crummy for Alex to still assume Jeff was going to be the new champion, after Felicity got FJ right. I approved of his Foghorn Leghorn voice though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Apparently they moved Jeopardy to noon, I guess so they wouldn't have to interrupt it, but they didn't tell me they were doing it.

The nerve!

I don't know why I know Pulitzer was Hungarian, but I do.

When Pulitzer was revealed as the answer, I was all, "Oh yeah. I've heard he was Hungarian.

I still don't know who Shanon was referring to with Hershel, even after googling. Did she just write down a name?

Hersel the Hungarian?

• LOL 3

He said seriously, "Everybody recognizes Hail to the Victors".  😎

Anyone who counts, who is of taste, breeding and education, knows this song 🙂

I knew FJ wasn't Hearst...used to work for a Hearst-owned company. Amazing how many things they have in their portfolio. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 9:41 AM, Clanstarling said:

I didn't say amour because I thought that was too obvious (when will I ever learn?), and got Minoan as an instaget thanks to a jetpunk quiz I did the other day.

I took a class in Ancient Greek art, so Minoan was a gimme.

I didn't know that Pulitzer was Hungarian, but of the big names in publishing whom I came up with, he was the only one who sounded like he could've been born in Eastern Europe.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Anyone who counts, who is of taste, breeding and education, knows this song 🙂

Welp, (hitching up my stretched out sweat pants, taking a bite of a chili dog), that ain't me.

• LOL 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Welp, (hitching up my stretched out sweat pants, taking a bite of a chili dog), that ain't me.

That gave me my first LOL in a long time. Thank you.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Thank goodness for the College Tournament -- instaget FJ today.  I was rooting for middle girl, though.  Interesting guesses for FJ, too.

The only TS I got were Seven Sisters, extra-virgin olive oil, and lats.

• Love 3

I feel stupid because I didn't get FJ.  Big Ditch made me think of the Big Dig, so I went to  Boston.  I decided it couldn't be Fenway, but then I got in a sports mode and I knew that at one time the Houston Astrodome was known as the 8th wonder, so I went with that, even though I couldn't figure out why it would be a ditch.

The only TS I got were Dutch and 7 sisters.  I got the entire category of College Tales right.

Pretty sucky game for a college one.  I feel I should have done better.

• Love 1

"Big Ditch" took me first to the Erie Canal, which was called "Clinton's Big Ditch" for Governor Dewitt Clinton, but it was finished in 1825.  I managed to get the Panama Canal in time.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were Seven Sisters, extra-virgin olive oil, and lats.

Anyone who has ever seen one episode of Rachael Ray's show knows EVOO. She says it about a zillion times per episode. Or at least she use to. I'm allergic to her* so haven't seen her show for ages.

My first thought for FJ was the Grand Canyon, then realized it's older than 100 years so went with "the other one." Yeay for me that I actually read the clue this time.

*She makes me break out in crankiness.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, helpmerhonda said:

Same here if only because the guy who won (Marshall?) would not stand up straight. I don't know why I found that so irksome.

Me too, not only did he want to rest his elbows, he wouldn't stop fidgeting, I couldn't look at him.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

"Big Ditch" took me first to the Erie Canal, which was called "Clinton's Big Ditch" for Governor Dewitt Clinton, but it was finished in 1825.  I managed to get the Panama Canal in time.

A man! A plan!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Great! The most annoying one wins the first game. Why, why, why can't I have nice things? Ugh! 

I got Seven Sisters, evoo, and FJ.

23 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

Same here if only because the guy who won (Marshall?) would not stand up straight. I don't know why I found that so irksome.

19 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Me too, not only did he want to rest his elbows, he wouldn't stop fidgeting, I couldn't look at him.

I'd like to add playing with his sleeves and staring down the other contestants to his list of annoying behaviors.

I'm sure he's a great guy. <eye roll>

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

The Stanford TS surprised me at first, but based on their answers, they obviously don't know the Pac-12 (which makes sense based on their locations).  Seven Sisters still surprises me, though.  As does extra virgin olive oil.  I'm also a bit surprised only one got FJ.

I cannot believe the Sistine Chapel clue was in DJ.  Even in the Toddler Tournament, that would be a $200 clue.

I laughed that Sirad, the Princeton student, rang in first with (University of) Texas after Marshall, the UT student, had nabbed the clue about a novel set at Princeton.

Emma was so dominant in the first round, I thought it was going to be a runaway, but it got competitive in DJ.  I was rooting for her, but good game. 

I had a good one, too, just missing a few scattered clues in DJ.

• Love 4

My husband remarked he was surprised that Emma, an engineering major, would miss FJ. I checked and she is a civil and environmental engineering major, making it even more surprising. She had a good breadth of knowledge, and played a good game.. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone who has ever seen one episode of Rachael Ray's show knows EVOO. She says it about a zillion times per episode. Or at least she use to. I'm allergic to her* so haven't seen her show for ages.

That's where I learned it. I stopped watching a long time ago, I'm not sure why. I don't think any of the recipes I tried ever turned out to be tasty - though they looked good. But then, I only tried a handful of them.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed that Sirad, the Princeton student, rang in first with (University of) Texas after Marshall, the UT student, had nabbed the clue about a novel set at Princeton.

I didn't connect that, but I did enjoy Sirad getting the Texas clue.

For FJ my mind hovered over Hoover Dam for a second - and realized it was neither a ditch, nor 100 years ago. So it zipped over to the Panama Canal.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My first thought for FJ was the Grand Canyon, then realized it's older than 100 years so went with "the other one." Yeay for me that I actually read the clue this time.

That was my only thought. Clearly I know it’s older than 100 but thought maybe the associated National Park was dedicated that long ago or something. No idea why any canals didn’t even occur to me.

• Love 2

I don't remember there being too many ts's.  I got only two, Dutch and Seven Sisters.

I was disappointed that middle girl didn't win.

For FJ, Erie Canal was my first thought but I didn't think it was large enough or important enough to be considered a "wonder of the modern world". Then I thought of the Suez Canal followed quickly by Panama Canal and I went with that and I am already 1/1 this week.  So, this may be my week to get 5/5😁

I have seen the acronym evoo in many recipes (and I use it frequently) but I never knew evoo stood for extra virgin olive oil.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I have seen the acronym evoo in many recipes (and I use it frequently) but I never knew evoo stood for extra virgin olive oil.

I made myself laugh thinking what you used in recipes calling for one cup of EVOO if it wasn't extra virgin olive oil.

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

Big Ditch made me think of the Big Dig, so I went to Boston.

I first went to Boston, too, but didn't know what to do there, figuratively.

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My first thought for FJ was the Grand Canyon, then realized it's older than 100 years ...

Yup, this is the second place my head went. Then I noticed the category was MODERN Wonders of the World, so... my answer was a question mark.

In other news, I got Seven Sisters, extra virgin olive oil, Magritte, and The Goldfinch.

The outcome was not what I wanted -- I was rooting for Emma -- but I should get used to not getting my desired outcome.

• Love 4

I could picture Magritte's work with the apple and the bowler hat, but could not come up with his name beyond, "M-something!  He did that painting that they used in that movie with Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo!"  I couldn't even remember the name of the movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I could picture Magritte's work with the apple and the bowler hat, but could not come up with his name beyond, "M-something!  He did that painting that they used in that movie with Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo!"  I couldn't even remember the name of the movie.

I easily got Magritte given my occupation (ha ha, you scientist types), and the Pierce Brosnan movie was The Thomas Crown Affair, a weak 1994 remake of the real 1968 movie starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. Now THAT was a great movie. Brosnan vs. McQueen ... no contest.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I got as far as "Ma" 😂

50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I easily got Magritte given my occupation (ha ha, you scientist types), and the Pierce Brosnan movie was The Thomas Crown Affair, a weak 1994 remake of the real 1968 movie starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. Now THAT was a great movie. Brosnan vs. McQueen ... no contest.

McQueen was my childhood and teenage crush. Brosnan wasn't bad either. Haven't seen both movies, so I can't say which I would have preferred.

• Love 3