Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I admit I'm surprised that none of the contestants got FJ right.  I thought that the "sitting still" thing made McClellan fairly obvious.  To the extent that McClellan is well-known, it's for being hesitant to advance.  I would have expected at least one of the contestants to remember that.

I eliminated 'Grant' pretty quickly. 1862 was too early for him. But the "no trouble sitting still" MIGHT have suggested him - if you thought Grant was passed out drunk and couldn't move!

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I wonder what, if anything, the contestant coordinators said to her about it afterward.

I got the impression Mr. Trebek liked it and liked her, from the towel scarf on her neck to her chatting. It could have been edited out, but the show seems to like odd-ball players, like Dancing Jennifer and, of course, Mr. All In. Gets people talking.

Meanwhile, The Chaka Khan video clip is getting lots of play online and shares on SM.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Hey, it's nerve-wracking up there, and some people babble when they're nervous.  Even she seemed to realize she was talking too much, but sometimes that just makes it worse.  I wonder what, if anything, the contestant coordinators said to her about it afterward.

You made me realize why it didn't bother me.  In the not to distant past (but before Covid) I was with my husband at his doctor's appointment for  a serious condition, and for some reason I was talking about my condition (comparing it to his) and said out loud "I don't know why I'm telling you this. I'll shut up now." 😂

So I must have related to the awkward babbling.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You made me realize why it didn't bother me.  In the not to distant past (but before Covid) I was with my husband at his doctor's appointment for  a serious condition, and for some reason I was talking about my condition (comparing it to his) and said out loud "I don't know why I'm telling you this. I'll shut up now." 😂

So I must have related to the awkward babbling.

Ok I was annoyed with Mina at the intro but then her unique voice made me like her.  The woman in the middle is picking at a snails pace.  

• Love 2

I said  Spartacus for FJ.  I think that was a better guess than the Grapes of Wrath.  

I got the TS of muscles, Churchill Downs, OK Corrall, Lufthansa, rastafanarianism and 15th.

I go the entire categories of silent C and Snopes right.

• Love 1

Yes, my losing streak continues. I went with "Ben-Hur", which, at least, is (a) a 50's movie (b) Biblical and (c) stars Charlton Heston. Close, but no cigar. The Grapes of Wrath??????

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Finally! My yearly watching of The Ten Commandments has paid off. 

If it was on this year I missed it, but yes, I knew it too.

Still don't like the chatty champ but was willing to take her over the shouter and the slowpoke.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Finally! My yearly watching of The Ten Commandments has paid off. 

So let it be written, so let it be done. Moses. Moses, Moses. An instaget for me. 

Like Groundhog Day, I watch every year. 

10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of muscles, Churchill Downs, OK Corrall, Lufthansa, Rastafarianism and 15th.

Got those too. 

I have never actually watched The Ten Commandments.  So I had no clue for FJ today.  Off to a great start -- 0/2 so far!

Glad the champ managed another win.  

TS I got included Churchill Downs, Quincy, OK Corral, earned run average, Rastafarianism, and 15th.  I admit, though, that I only got 15th because of the wrong guesses. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Does anyone know when the Teen Tournament is? If it's even still happening, anyways.

It was in June last year, so I don't think it's happening.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

.....from the towel scarf on her neck.....

All I could think of when I saw her "scarf" was how much it looks like the towel I wrap my hair in after I take a shower. 

Last night, I got zither, 300, and blue.

I figured Grant and Sherman were too obvious for FJ, but I could not think of another general. Boo hiss!

I'd like to point out that Mina is from N Jersey. The less annoying people live in S Jersey. ;-) She bordered on James levels of can't stand for me, so I'm happy she flamed out. 

Alison was too slow. 

Yes, I am perfect. Why do you ask? ;-)

Tonight, I got Churchill Downs, OK Corral, Lufthansa, earned run average, and Rastafarianism.

Based on the epic part of the clue, I thought of three choices for FJ. Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia (wrong decade) and The Ten Commandments. I ended up picking the right one. 

• LOL 1

The OK Corral and muscles TS surprised me.  So did ERA a bit, because they seemed to have a general knowledge of baseball, and no one even guessing Grant, with Eisenhower ruled out.

"What is Australian Airlines?" (instead of Qantas) being delivered so confidently was oddly entertaining.

I ran the first round, but in DJ I missed most of the religious -isms (what a shock, I know) and a couple of the French prince clues.  I didn't get FJ (I've never seen the movie; epics aren't my thing, nor are biblical stories), and in fact didn't even wind up with a guess - my brain kind of stalled out in trying to pick one of the few that were rattling around it, and never settled on one.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

Has Alex ever said "damn" on air before?

I was going to say here, Has Alex ever said "Damn fine" before.

I got OK Corral, Lufthansa, and Grant. I couldn't quite remember Rastafarianism and simply said Rasta-ism.

I got FJ. I wasn't completely confident. It's been a while since I've seen that movie, but it seemed to fit the clue.

• Love 2

FJ:  The quote took me to the Liberty Bell but I couldn't think of Revolutionary War movies from the 50s. Then Bible movies occurred to me, and Ten Commandments popped up just in time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I was going to say here, Has Alex ever said "Damn fine" before.

I guess I missed that. Eh.

I've been to Churchill Downs many times -- I highly recommend its museum -- and, since I follow horse racing (and have owned an off-track thoroughbred), I was pleased to get that easy TS. Same with OK Corral, as a fan of old westerns. Seems like that was a clue/answer not that long ago.

Side note: Kentucky Derby has been moved to September 5.

Mina's voice echoed, which made me wonder if the studio audience was missing.

I was gobsmacked by the middle player finding a DD in the second row, an $800 clue. She is behind the leader by $800 and she bets $600 when she has plenty of cash to easily take the lead? WTH is up with these players the last two days. Someone needs to kick their collective asses before they go on the show, or at least show them how to bet so you can win maybe one game? I mean, she chose that category out of a full board, and if she was so uncertain to just bet $600 on an easy DD, why be in that category at all?

I got Louis the 15th because the year was the clue, 1715.

I learned threescore is one word, not two. Who knew.

Having grown up in the era of only three channels, The Ten Commandments was a yearly staple, shown every Easter. That tradition has continued all these many years later, with The Ten Commandments STILL being aired on network every Easter. While I always get a kick out of Yul Brynner as Ramses and the character gangster actor Edward G. Robinson as Dathan (Yvonne de Carlo! Vincent Price!), my Easter tradition is to turn the channel and not watch, and I didn't watch again this year.

But I got FJ correct!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"What is Australian Airlines?" (instead of Qantas) being delivered so confidently was oddly entertaining.

And at that exact moment, I REALLY wanted Mina to lose.  I'm one of those weirdos who thinks a contestant deserves to lose because s/he gives such a boneheaded answer to what I think it's an easy get.  And when she said Deutsche Airlines (instead of Lufthansa) moments later, that cemented my irrational dislike of her.

• Love 5

I wonder if, after the first round, they told Mina to knock off the bizarre shouting, because she seemed to have toned it way down during double Jeopardy. Thank god. 

And I have to say I found the champ’s babbling yesterday kind of endearing, only because it seemed totally genuine. It was so unexpected it made me laugh. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Driad said:

FJ:  The quote took me to the Liberty Bell but I couldn't think of Revolutionary War movies from the 50s. Then Bible movies occurred to me, and Ten Commandments popped up just in time.

Great minds flounder alike! That's exactly the same process my mind went through.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Has Alex ever said "damn" on air before?

I must have missed it. That's why my colleague who only watches movies/tv with no swearing can't trust me when I say there's  none. I don't hear it unless it's really egregious.

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

All I could think of when I saw her "scarf" was how much it looks like the towel I wrap my hair in after I take a shower.

Here's what I figured happened. It was a regular scarf, and she probably wanted to drape it, but it interfered with her mic. Since she wanted it for the cold, she just decided to drape it over her shoulders.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was gobsmacked by the middle player finding a DD in the second row, an $800 clue. She is behind the leader by $800 and she bets $600 when she has plenty of cash to easily take the lead? WTH is up with these players the last two days. Someone needs to kick their collective asses before they go on the show, or at least show them how to bet so you can win maybe one game? I mean, she chose that category out of a full board, and if she was so uncertain to just bet $600 on an easy DD, why be in that category at all?

I had the same reaction, but then when she didn't know the answer, it turned out she made the right choice.  Maybe the category had nothing to do with her low bet, she is just conservative. I don't get it, but this time it worked for her.

I got FJ, though I didn't come to it immediately. It's been ages since I saw Charlton chew the scenery.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I learned threescore is one word, not two. Who knew.

Both Webster's and the OED give threescore, fourscore, etc., as a single word.  On the other hand, Lincoln's own manuscript of the Gettysburg Address (which can be seen on the website of the Lincoln Presidential Library) rendered "four score" as two words.

I find it hard to criticize Mina, only because she's a surgeon in New Jersey, and thus is probably having a very tough time right now.

I got Final Jeopardy, although I'm not entirely sure why.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Same with OK Corral, as a fan of old westerns. Seems like that was a clue/answer not that long ago.

True. And a few of us gave Grant as an answer in Monday's game, but it was a correct answer today. I suppose if you keep saying a particular answer, it's bound to be correct some day.

I can't tell if you're serious. If so, can you explain?

Having grown up in the era of only three channels, The Ten Commandments was a yearly staple, shown every Easter. That tradition has continued all these many years later, with The Ten Commandments STILL being aired on network every Easter. While I always get a kick out of Yul Brynner as Ramses and the character gangster actor Edward G. Robinson as Dathan (Yvonne de Carlo! Vincent Price!), my Easter tradition is to turn the channel and not watch, and I didn't watch again this year.

You gotta love that casting. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Both Webster's and the OED give threescore, fourscore, etc., as a single word.

I had made a note wondering why after the player responded "three," Trebek asked for more, and she said "score." Surely "three" was the correct answer. So I looked it up and discovered that all these years of me believing Lincoln was correct writing fourscore as two words, the dictionary disagreed with him. It happens more than I care to admit, I look up an answer after the show and learn something from it.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I can't tell if you're serious. If so, can you explain?

I saw the "15" in the year 1715, so answered Louis the 15th. Whether the year had anything to do with the answer, I don't have a clue. I just know it worked for me and not for any of the players.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Ritalin Smoothie said:

And at that exact moment, I REALLY wanted Mina to lose.  I'm one of those weirdos who thinks a contestant deserves to lose because s/he gives such a boneheaded answer to what I think it's an easy get.  And when she said Deutsche Airlines (instead of Lufthansa) moments later, that cemented my irrational dislike of her.

Australian Airlines? Deutsche Airlines? Has this woman ever been to an airport?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I had made a note wondering why after the player responded "three," Trebek asked for more, and she said "score." Surely "three" was the correct answer. So I looked it up and discovered that all these years of me believing Lincoln was correct writing fourscore as two words, the dictionary disagreed with him. It happens more than I care to admit, I look up an answer after the show and learn something from it.

I saw the "15" in the year 1715, so answered Louis the 15th. Whether the year had anything to do with the answer, I don't have a clue. I just know it worked for me and not for any of the players.

I never get the right Louis, but I bet I get Louis 15 from now on! 😃

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I must have missed it. That's why my colleague who only watches movies/tv with no swearing can't trust me when I say there's  none. I don't hear it unless it's really egregious.

It wasn't egregious, just unexpected. In the interviews, the middle woman claimed to be descended from a signer of the Declaration of Independence and also from royalty, to which Alex responded, "Damn fine."

Are we to blame? Is Alex trying to avoid saying, "Good for you!"?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I never get the right Louis,

When we toured Versailles, our tour guide described 14, 15, and 16 as the Sun King, the fun king, and the done king. That's helped me. 

• Useful 8
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

It wasn't egregious, just unexpected. In the interviews, the middle woman claimed to be descended from a signer of the Declaration of Independence and also from royalty, to which Alex responded, "Damn fine."

That reminds me:  I was surprised (and a little annoyed) that he didn't ask the obvious follow-up question of which signer she was descended from.  I was irrationally hoping that it would be Button Gwinnett.  Because you can never get enough of guys named "Button."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

After last night's show, I have 2 questions: was the woman aware that there are time constraints? And was the woman on the end aware that there are microphones?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wondered the same thing and thought the same as you, that "Four score" was two words. 

I guessed the wrong epic movie from the 50s, Ben Hur. 

The middle lady, thank god did not win.  I could not watch her one more second.  At the beginning, I give them a pass, but by round two........PICK........A..........CATEGORY!!!!  So annoying.........I'll......uhh.....take.....lets see......maybe......Spit it out lady!  We have a time limit on these rounds!

Unless I recall the clue wrong I think technically the "strikeouts" answer should have been more specifically, single season strikeouts, as opposed to career strike outs.  Kind of a give, but still, that's the specific records referenced.

Ricky Henderson has the single season and career stolen base record so those don't matter.

Batting average instead of ERA?  Not baseball fans. 

It was kind of amusing seeing Mina so confidently and loudly spit out wrong answers. 

Also wondering......does everyone else know Qantas because of Rain Man?  At the time the movie was made it was the only airline never to have a major crash and the only one Rain Man would fly on. 

And in a similar vein I recall Lufthansa because of Goodfellas.  That was the airline they robbed in the major heist set up in the movie

• Love 3

The TS of zither made me sad. Apparently none of the contestants has seen The Third Man.  And can we stop with the modern interpretive dance movements during the intros?

• Love 3

I said the Time Machine first, but changed my answer to A Tale of Two Cities. Yay for me.

I think the only TS I got were cinnamon and Johannesburg.

I did pretty bad in the DJ.  Good thing I got FJ right to balance it out:)  I was overcomplicating clues, forgetting the category.  Don't know what my deal was.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  And it did not hurt my feelings in the slightest that Alwin did not win.  Although I wouldn't have minded if Anastasia had won.  

Ahem.  I also got the TS of curry, saltbox, carbon dioxide, cinnamon bear, and lion's mane.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Here's what I figured happened. It was a regular scarf, and she probably wanted to drape it, but it interfered with her mic. Since she wanted it for the cold, she just decided to drape it over her shoulders.

Good thinking, but it still looked like the towel I use for my hair. lol One would think the audio and/or wardrobe crew could have figured out how to actually make it look like a scarf.

Anyway.....

I got curry, dioxide, and in a wild guess, FJ.

I guess we're back to the annoying James-like notes to friends and family on FJ answers.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I guess we're back to the annoying James-like notes to friends and family on FJ answers.

You mean those personal messages the show declared, mid-way trough James' appearances, would be illegal, banned, never to be done again, ever? Those?

I got curry, saltbox and cinnamon (bear). Not sure if there were more.

Shout out to the poster here who answered a previous Harry Potter question as "HP and the Philosopher's Stone" instead of "... Sorcerer's Stone."

I liked Anastasia.

The only FJ I could come up with was The Time Machine, so at least I matched a person smart enough to be on this show.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You mean those personal messages the show declared, mid-way trough James' appearances, would be illegal, banned, never to be done again, ever? Those?

Yes It Is GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I know pop culture isn't everyone's bag but when Alwin guessed Ariana Grande after being shown a video clip of Janet Jackson singing "Nasty," I was done with him. 

FJ was easy for me because I love that novel but also, how many novels have incredibly famous first lines long enough to contain other stuff and the stuff they quoted?

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I know pop culture isn't everyone's bag but when Alwin guessed Ariana Grande after being shown a video clip of Janet Jackson singing "Nasty," I was done with him. 

I blame it on Janet wearing Ariana's fake ponytail. I gave him credit for recognizing that.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I may be wrong, but I think Ariana Grande has performed live within the last decade.  That's the part of the clue that I focused on, since I couldn't see the actual singer very well.  Too far away, too many other things in the frame.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1

I wonder if Sarah is just prone to nervous chatter or if she never knows when to stop talking (or not start to begin with).

Wow, that Ariana Grande answer.  I just looked up her name to see if it's one N or two, and there is all kinds of stuff on the internet about that bonehead answer.  Alwin isn't living that down any time soon.

The cinnamon bear and carbon dioxide TS were two I figured someone would figure out from the clues.  Curry surprised me a bit, too.  I can't decide about Harry Dean Stanton - I guess not, but had it been a photo clue I'd say yes.

I ran the first round, but missed about half a dozen in DJ, thanks mostly to the Greek mythology and prequel categories, and got FJ, so had a fairly good game.

I got saltbox and cinnamon. I omitted "Dean" from Harry Dean Stanton. I suppose that would have been ruled incorrect.

Instead of lion's mane, I said cat's whiskers. It's a smaller, cuter jellyfish.

I got FJ. I was thrilled when Anastasia got it right and Alwin got it wrong, but then Sarah got it as well. I was rooting for Anastasia.

I'm really REALLY tired of the posing and hand gestures some contestants do at the very beginning.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of lion's mane, I said cat's whiskers. It's a smaller, cuter jellyfish.

lol!

I don't get a 'nervous' vibe from the champ, I think she just likes attention, sorry she won again.

I got FJ, guessing right after they said 'first line' before even getting to the 'superlative degree'

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I blame it on Janet wearing Ariana's fake ponytail. I gave him credit for recognizing that.

Janet doesn’t wear Ariana Grande’s anything.  Ariana can’t hold a candle to Miss Jackson!

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Wow, that Ariana Grande answer.  I just looked up her name to see if it's one N or two, and there is all kinds of stuff on the internet about that bonehead answer.  Alwin isn't living that down any time soon.

#Jeopardy is trending right now. The heat is on Alwin but Sarah is catching her share of shade too.