Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I thought Alex's response to Molly's story was really rude bulimia is nothing to take lightly.

It was odd timing given Trebek was trending yesterday after an old clip of his soul-crushing response to Susan, a 2016 contestant, went viral. It's easy to google, although anyone on Twitter has already seen it.

12 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I thought Alex's response to Molly's story was really rude bulimia is nothing to take lightly.

I didn’t think it was a bulimia reference.  A person might feel ill after exercising that much and then eating a dozen doughnuts, then getting back on the bike and pedaling back. In under an hour. I’m certain I would.

And on another topic, my local station is showing the NFL draft tonight instead of Jeopardy! tonight, and it doesn’t look like they’re showing it another time.😡

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

my local station is showing the NFL draft tonight instead of Jeopardy! tonight,

I think that is such an odd programming choice by ABC. I'd think the draft would be on ESPN, unless the networks think no one watches network anymore so ABC is trying to get $$ from the NFL. On the bright side, I was tipped that episodes can once again be found on YouTube the same day they air.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And as for the Main Street clue, I actually thought about it, and still picked the wrong author!  

I was so proud of myself for picking the correct Sinclair. I'm pretty sure I have them straight now.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It was odd timing given Trebek was trending yesterday after an old clip of his soul-crushing response to Susan, a 2016 contestant, went viral. It's easy to google, although anyone on Twitter has already seen it.

I'll need to google. I did see that Alex Trebek was trending, so I was afraid he had died. I checked then didn't look any further.

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn’t think it was a bulimia reference.  A person might feel ill after exercising that much and then eating a dozen doughnuts, then getting back on the bike and pedaling back. In under an hour. I’m certain I would.

I agree. Eating a ton of donuts then running would probably cause some people to throw up.

I got Twin Peaks, Kansas, Keystone, Sinclair Lewis!, St Bernadette, and Goethe.

For FJ at first I was a little at sea, but then I figured it had to be Japan because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the pronunciation of atoll. I've always said it AYE-tol. Another word I pronounce incorrectly is okapi. I say OH-kah-pee. I don't said either word out loud very often.

Edited by peeayebee
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'll need to google. I did see that Alex Trebek was trending, so I was afraid he had died. I checked then didn't look any further.

That's what everyone thought, me included, that Mr. Trebek had died. Instead, someone pulled an old clip from years ago and posted it, then it all snowballed. Much ado about nothing.

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Eating a ton of donuts then running would probably cause some people to throw up.

Oh, but a dozen HOT Krispie Kremes would go down so easily. I know I can easily do one-half dozen at a time. I'd try the dozen except ours closed a while back, after the company got busted for cooking its books.

I'd so be in for that race though.

I got FJ after first saying Mercedes.

I got the TS of Holstein and Keppler.

I got the entire category of Land Ho right and the entire category of kicks wrong.  I had a terrible first round, but made up for it somewhat in the second round and got FJ so, I ended up alright.

I was so distracted by Shawn's leaning and tapping his fingers and otherwise fidgeting,  and hoping he didn't win that I missed FJ.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it!  

And the only TS I got was bears.

• Love 2

When the first category was "Get Your Kicks," I was certain the second category would be "On Route 66."

Wrong.

The FJ clue goofed me up when it said he "learned about engines working for this man, first half of a famous pair." I couldn't decide between Wilbur or Orville, so went with Wilbur.

Wrong again.

I spotted Jimmy and Sarah during the opening shot. Cool!

• Love 7

Fat, drunk and stupid etc... is one of my favorite movie quotes of all time since I saw Animal House during its original run at a movie theater in Williamsburg my sophomore year.  So I was sad that it was a TS particularly after Tim got 2/3s of it.  To honor Flounder, I am trying to not be fat, drunk and stupid for the rest of the weekend.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

When the first category was "Get Your Kicks," I was certain the second category would be "On Route 66."

Wrong.

The FJ clue goofed me up when it said he "learned about engines working for this man, first half of a famous pair." I couldn't decide between Wilbur or Orville, so went with Wilbur.

Wrong again.

I went with Orville!  Great minds think alike, or at least in parallel.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Same here!  I was thinking the same thing, one of the Wright Brothers, forgetting that the clue mentioned England...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was so distracted by Shawn's leaning and tapping his fingers and otherwise fidgeting,  and hoping he didn't win that I missed FJ.  

I thought he looked like Andy Dick, so that was my gripe about him (and the leaning).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was watching the NFL draft again, so another archive night (meaning another night of thanks to those who maintain the archive).

I know soccer isn't as popular in the U.S. as it is in much of the world, but the free kick TS still surprised me, with "kick" spotted by the category.  The bears TS surprised me only in that no one even took a guess, but that was it.  Good game.

I loved the Overlapping Word Combos category!  But I only had a so-so game.  I missed two clues in the first round, both of them pop culture clues (in the "Stupid" category), so that continues to be a thorn in my side these days.  But I missed a variety in DJ:, I didn't know Kepler, two of the Authors clues, two of the "Land 'Ho'" clues (three if you count the one I'm not counting because I couldn't see the picture), and two of the movie villains.  Rolls-Royce came to me in decent time as the pair I should be choosing between for FJ, but it was a lucky guess I picked the right one.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wrong.

I said the same thing. I figured they would have sent the clue crew to places that were on that road.

The first of a famous pair of engine designers for pilots. I thought the Wright brothers too, but I couldn't decide which one was more famous. I then thought of Aston Martin. I found out that Aston is a place, not a name. Rolls Royce didn't even occur to me. 

Wrong.  

I did get Holstein as my history teacher made the connection about the Holstein cows coming from there. 

Got Kepler too.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I said Orville. I immediately thought people say it "Orville and Wilbur Wright," but then I wondered if it was really "Wilbur and Orville Wright." In either case, I was Wrong.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know soccer isn't as popular in the U.S. as it is in much of the world, but the free kick TS still surprised me, with "kick" spotted by the category. 

Once again I forgot the category and simply said kick.

But I remembered the category with Ho so I got Holstein as a guess.

I also got Nautilus and bear.

I wondered why Tim answered sun and moon. He must not have looked at the monitor, right?

Loved the category title Here's Looking at Euclid.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I wondered why Tim answered sun and moon. He must not have looked at the monitor, right?

That was weird.  I would have thought Alaska's flag was well-known enough not to need a picture.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

In DC we had to wait til tonight to see Friday’s show because of the stupid draft. 

You don't have access to Baltimore's Fox channel? They show J! at 7 pm, and is more likely to show it than pre-empt. That's how we saw it.

At first I was thinking the wright brothers but then figured it was probably a car manufactuter, but I didn't think of Rolls Royce. 

I don't think Alex's comments about getting sick were in any way meant as a reference to bulimia.  It was more the idea running 4 miles and eating a dozen donuts in under an hour is likely to make anyone sick, which is the thought I had as well

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:28 PM, SHD said:

I thought he looked like Andy Dick, so that was my gripe about him (and the leaning).

Yes he did!!  Just like him!  I couldn't get over it. 

• Love 2
On 4/23/2020 at 5:01 PM, Browncoat said:

And as for the Main Street clue, I actually thought about it, and still picked the wrong author! 

I do get Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis mixed up sometimes, but if the title of their books are in the clue, I know which one it is.

We hand to use J! because of the NFL draft. I cast it to my TV so my husband could see it at the same time. We went category to category though - so we did better than usual.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:57 PM, DrScottie said:

Were we were supposed to infer from the DD clue from Elizabeth Browning saying about George Sand: "True Genius, True Woman" that the author used a male pseudonym? That didn't feel like a helpful clue to me. 

That's actually the only way I got to the answer. So, for me at least, it was very helpful.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:45 PM, saber5055 said:

That's what the husband said - I said it would be about shoes - we were both wrong.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, j5cochran said:

I originally went with one of the Wright brothers, but then I noticed "England" in the clue, and started thinking of English auto manufacturers. I had no idea Rolls and Royce were two people, but I went with it. If I'd gotten to Aston Martin, I probably would have chosen Aston.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, peeayebee said:

I said Orville. I immediately thought people say it "Orville and Wilbur Wright," but then I wondered if it was really "Wilbur and Orville Wright." In either case, I was Wrong.

That's what led me away from the Wright Brothers; I don't think either one of them is necessarily always "the first."  That, plus England in the clue, got me to Rolls pretty quickly.  I'm lucky that I didn't think of Aston Martin, or I might have been more uncertain.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

You don't have access to Baltimore's Fox channel? They show J! at 7 pm, and is more likely to show it than pre-empt. That's how we saw it.

No, evil Comcast only gives me access to DC stations. 

22 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

No, evil Comcast only gives me access to DC stations. 

Evil Comcast indeed. When we moved 10 years ago, I couldn't sign up with Verizon fast enough. We had Comcast before, and they were terrible.

I said Sherman.  What do I know?

I got the TS of zither, blue, Age of Innocence and defibrillator.

I got the entire categories of TV and General Hospital right.

I was so close on the currency.  I said Zlotek instead of zloty.

The road to Boston's Logan Airport is the McClellan Highway. Good name for thousands of people going nowhere.

The Code Blue clue could have been clearer; it sounded as if they meant an emergency that affected the whole hospital.

Never knew xylophone started with Z.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought Grant was too obvious so I went with McClellan. 

I actually yelled Code Blue at the tv. Yesh, it’s on every medical tv show. 

I thought Sherman for a sec but realized he was known for moving not sitting still so said McClellan.

I wish the new champ would Stop Talking!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought Grant was too obvious, so I went with Grant.  Oops!

I did get zloty, zither, keto/Quito, Code Blue, and defibrillator.

And I laughed when the champ said Chaka Khan.  I get it -- mental flatulence, same thing that keeps me confused about Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis -- but I still laughed.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I had an uncharacteristically good night. I got all the TSs, the missed DD, and FJ. Thank you Ken Burns - as soon s I read the clue I could picture the photograph, with Lincoln, after writing to McClellan if he had no use for the Army, Lincoln did.

Edited by chessiegal
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

With KETO-QUITO, I think he thought the Andean capital also had 4 letters. I almost did too. 

For FJ I was thinking of Stonewall Jackson and then remembered that he was a Confederate general. McClellan didn't come to me. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And I laughed when the champ said Chaka Khan.  I get it -- mental flatulence, same thing that keeps me confused about Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis -- but I still laughed.

Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, Chaka Zulu, Chaka Khan.  Chaka, when the walls fell.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

With KETO-QUITO, I think he thought the Andean capital also had 4 letters. I almost did too.

I did exactly the same thing he did - "keto" diet, but "keto" isn't a SA capital, so let's think of 4-letter capitals...which brought me to "Lima" which isn't a diet (but is a bean?)

I thought the wording of that clue was a bit challenging.

• Love 4

The code blue TS was a stunner.  The Adidas TS was a little surprising, and maybe Age of Innocence, too.

I figured she just blanked on the defibrillator DD, but Lauren didn't seem to show any "oh, of course" recognition when Alex revealed the answer. 

I don't know why they initially gave Sarah credit for "jib" when "two-word" was specified in the clue. 

I got all the TV titles in the first round, despite only having watched one of the shows (and despite my recent dismal showing in pop culture categories), but I didn't know what kind of jib it was, either, so I was one shy of running the round.  I only missed three or four in DJ and got FJ (after initially saying McSomething; it came to me in time), so it was a good game for me.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I wish the new champ would Stop Talking!

She didn’t seem excessively gabby until the very end, when she went on and on and ON about why she wrote Grant in FJ.

• Love 2

Bad betting strategy again, 3rd place player should have won, or at least made it close. 

His only chance was for the other two players to miss FJ, which they did, so he should have bet much less in case he missed as well so he would have won whether he got it right or not.  The leader/champion was going to bet enough to have less than him if she missed it, he should have just made a small bet.  Would have won if he did. 

9 hours ago, PBnJay said:

There is a Rolls Royce aviation museum in Indianapolis and one in England. Lucky me has been to both.

Really?  where is it in Indianapolis?

How did they give credit for both Nintendo and Sega?  I don't get their decisions half the time

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Grant was too obvious, so I went with Grant.

EXACTLY my thinking as well. I didn't even consider anyone else, Grant was obviously the answer and this show likes obvious. Amiright? No?

Zither was a clue/answer not that long ago, but I guess people don't know what it is unless it's playing The Third Man theme.

And yeah, Code Blue is in every hospital tv show ever. Some episodes, more than once.

33 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

She didn’t seem excessively gabby until the very end, when she went on and on and ON about why she wrote Grant in FJ.

I was telling her to STFU during the interview when she wouldn't shut up about birthing her baby, with all the details. She was droning on and on and on ... Then after FJ ... gah. I'll be telling her to STFU tomorrow too, no doubt.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Bad betting strategy again, 3rd place player should have won, or at least made it close. 

I was freaking that the middle woman, who uncovered two DDs, was too chicken to bet anything worthwhile. What's up with the people who have an opportunity to win and just toss it away.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was freaking that the middle woman, who uncovered two DDs, was too chicken to bet anything worthwhile. What's up with the people who have an opportunity to win and just toss it away.

yes that too.  Not once but TWICE she had a change to bet enough to take the lead and doesn't do it.  Now she missed one, so it turned out better for her, sort of, but still......there is the game, if you want to win, take it. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

he didn’t seem excessively gabby until the very end, when she went on and on and ON about why she wrote Grant in FJ.

She was excessively gabby in her first interview, so much so the other two didn't get much time for theirs, I thought anyway.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's too bad, because I really liked her.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't know why they initially gave Sarah credit for "jib" when "two-word" was specified in the clue. 

I was very confused about accepting jib when the clue said 2-word, so I was glad there was some kind of explanation after the commercial.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Didn't she also talk a bit after her FJ answer in the previous ep?

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

How did they give credit for both Nintendo and Sega?  

I'd like to know that, too.

I got zloty, zither, Adidas (because of "A-game"), keto, code blue, Age of Innocence, and defibrillator

I didn't know tumbleweeds were brought into this country.

I said Grant for FJ. I didn't think that was right, but I couldn't think of anyone else.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

How did they give credit for both Nintendo and Sega?  I don't get their decisions half the time

From Wikipedia (bolds are mine):

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. It is a 2019 sports video game based on the 2020 Summer Olympics. It is a crossover between Nintendo's Super Mario and Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog franchises, and the first since Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. It was developed and published by Sega for the Nintendo Switch in November 2019, and was released for arcade cabinets in 2020.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Grant crossed my mind, but thanks to Ken Burns, I realized it was McClellan, and who knew the snark was so strong in Lincoln?

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also laughed at her reaction when she realized what she did. Talkative or not, I like her.

8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know tumbleweeds were brought into this country.

Apparently accidentally, according to this Smithsonian article.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Hey, it's nerve-wracking up there, and some people babble when they're nervous.  Even she seemed to realize she was talking too much, but sometimes that just makes it worse.  I wonder what, if anything, the contestant coordinators said to her about it afterward.

I admit I'm surprised that none of the contestants got FJ right.  I thought that the "sitting still" thing made McClellan fairly obvious.  To the extent that McClellan is well-known, it's for being hesitant to advance.  I would have expected at least one of the contestants to remember that.

• Love 6