Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Kit Carson!  KIT CARSON!!!  KIT CARSON!!!!!!!  It's like Alex knows us.  We got a "Good for you!" also.

And for some unknown reason, I didn't get that one.  Or, more accurately, I briefly thought of Carson and discounted him.  ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Tough ruling on that pronunciation one.  I had no idea, I would have given it to him for effort

I didn't think so.  He left out the first 'n' in Vientiane so it was absolutely wrong.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

but I was just as stumped as the contestants by The Planets (I didn't have the audio clue they did, but I still wouldn't have known it)

I don't remember there being audio with that clue, but if there was, I did not need it.  I'm familiar with Holst's work, so Holst + Mercury equaled The Planets.  Mars, the Bringer of War, is the best one, though.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

None of today's players hang out here, obviously, since none of them knew The Official Mascot of This Thread, Kit Carson! But the writers do (I suspect), so thanks for the shout out. And hang your heads in shame anyone who posts here who did not get that TS. Kit Carson ROCKS!

I will definitely hang my head in shame.

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Nitpick on the fuzzy logic question - do the writers not know the Scrabble game only has 1 z? My husband pointed out you can use a blank tile, but blank tiles get no points. Yeah, double triple point letters or word placement, but without that, it gives you 20 points. Decent, but not a big deal. 

Really?  My family counts it as whatever letter we meant it to be.  Doesn't mean we're playing by all the rules, though.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What's the correct pronunciation?

Vien-tiane.  The first 'n' is pronounced.

• Love 4
On 4/29/2020 at 8:30 PM, vibeology said:

I know pop culture isn't everyone's bag but when Alwin guessed Ariana Grande after being shown a video clip of Janet Jackson singing "Nasty," I was done with him.

As somebody whose name is (I think?) a Paula Abdul reference, I would expect nothing less, and I am in agreement. (I got the Janet clue from remembering that performance and being geeked about it then and now.)

The Dickens FJ came to me instantly, and I thought it was fun to have us all remember that yes, some stuff comes after those famous first first words.

I had no clue for "What's in your wallet?" and just spent the time trying to think of everything a financial services company could be.

I was never on board with Sarah. Chaka Khan for Shaka Zulu was enough to lose me, but I agree she's kind of attention-seeking. Alex seemed charmed by her though. Good luck if she makes it to the TOC.

I hope Jesse calms down on the buzzer.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2020 at 7:48 AM, Clanstarling said:

That's the first thing I noticed in the video, and took a beat before I realized it was Janet. "Control" meant nothing to me

I only knew 'Control' because it was on Glee in one of their 'Jackson' episodes, it just took me a sec to remember there was another Jackson aside from Michael and his brothers. My actual first thought was 'that's not Michael', and then I realized the Glee ep had more than just Michael songs.

As a matter of fact any song after the 60s I probably only know if it was on Glee and someone said who it was that originally done it.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm familiar with Holst's work, so Holst + Mercury equaled The Planets. 

The only Holst work I know is The Planet, so for me Holst = The Planets.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What's the correct pronunciation?

Vien-tiane.

So he left out the initial N - his pronunciation changed the word. It wouldn't have mattered a bit if he'd said Vyen-tyann, for example. (I mean, Alex would have undoubtedly corrected him, but he would have earned the money.)

Which reminds me, Alex tried some sort of accented pronunciation of Budapest last night and got it totally wrong.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What was the question again on rupture?  Did they say it was a synonym for a hernia?  I have never heard the two used as synonyms.

Yep, "This synonym for 'hernia'" was the first part (I've never heard "rupture" used in place of "hernia" either), and the second part of the clue was "can also refer to a break in a pipeline".

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I only knew 'Control' because it was on Glee in one of their 'Jackson' episodes, it just took me a sec to remember there was another Jackson aside from Michael and his brothers. My actual first thought was 'that's not Michael', and then I realized the Glee ep had more than just Michael songs.

As a matter of fact any song after the 60s I probably only know if it was on Glee and someone said who it was that originally done it.

Glee is responsible for a number of my music downloads for songs or performers I'd never heard of before..

Edited by Clanstarling
revised because I learned something new today.
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

Cee Lo, for one - though I had to get the clean version as I play it at work

You mean Cee Lo "It isn't rape if the victim is unconscious" Green? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl, please ...

1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

Yikes. Never heard about that. Off to delete...

Dude was forced off The Voice over it and disappeared for a long time. I was surprised (and unhappy) to see him in something not long ago. Some of us haven't forgotten he's a skank.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Dude was forced off The Voice over it and disappeared for a long time. I was surprised (and unhappy) to see him in something not long ago. Some of us haven't forgotten he's a skank.

Never watched The Voice, and don't pay a lot of attention to music news. So that's why I never heard about it. Ugh.

• Love 2

So, I guessed El Salvador, but I totally thought I was wrong.  I thought they spoke Spanish there. But, I couldn't think of any other countries with a Spanish article.

I got the TS of lady fingers, shortcake and blue.

• Love 2

The clue for FJ kind of confused me, so I spent about half the time trying to figure out what they were looking for, then the other half trying to come up with the right country.  I ran out of time.  Oh well.  At least end guy didn't win.  Something about him bugged me.  Possibly how slow he was in picking the next clue.

And I only got four TS, too -- marry, strawberry shortcake, Norman Lear, and blue.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, I guessed El Salvador, but I totally thought I was wrong.  I thought they spoke Spanish there. But, I couldn't think of any other countries with a Spanish article.

Having taken Spanish and did a semester abroad in Spain, it was an instaget for me. 

I was sad they didn't know Norman Lear. The man is a television legend. 

1 minute ago, lurk3000 said:

Nobody knew the San Diego Chicken!? We are truly lost.

Not knowing the San Diego Chicken was bad (I did though), but it actually went better than most Jeopardy! sports categories.  

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of lady fingers, shortcake and blue.

Here's the clue:

On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name

They weren't looking for an English speaking country, they were looking for a country on the English-language list.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

They weren't looking for an English speaking country, they were looking for a country on the English-language list.

I say the clue was poorly written. Why even say some list is "English language"? We're speaking English and El Salvador is the same in English and in Spanish. According to this list it's El Salvador in 21 languages. My interpretation was they were looking for a country that speaks English: "On the English-language list of member states ..." A list of member states where English is the language.

Conclusion: Poorly written clue, something not unusual on this show.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I thought English-language list, meant it was a list of English speaking countries.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought English-language list, meant it was a list of English speaking countries.

I thought so, too.  And just couldn't come up with anything.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Here's the clue:

On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name

I assumed that un.org was a website for the UN which would have lists in various languages, they wanted a country that had a Spanish language article on the English language list (the one on un.org nowhere else). I did say El Salvador though I wasn't 100% on it.

• Love 2

I got poison and Norman Lear. And a complaint about "bundt pan" being accepted as the answer for "this cake." WTH show. But I guess if Charlie Bird Man Parker is okay, then Bundt Pan Cake is alrighty too. Geesh.

On the bright side, while I seldom notice clothes, I did very much like Mr. Trebek's tie today.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I say the clue was poorly written. Why even say some list is "English language"? We're speaking English and El Salvador is the same in English and in Spanish. According to this list it's El Salvador in 21 languages. My interpretation was they were looking for a country that speaks English: "On the English-language list of member states ..." A list of member states where English is the language.

Conclusion: Poorly written clue, something not unusual on this show.

Interesting - this never even occurred to me. They had to specify because the UN lists countries in multiple languages, and if you're looking at the Spanish-language list, there will be many countries with Spanish articles.

I don't know how else they would have worded it to make it clearer? If they meant countries that speak English, they would have stated that it is the list of English-speaking countries or list of countries with English as an official language. That would be easy to clarify. But since they literally meant the list of countries of the world written in the English language, I'm not sure how else they could have worded it.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I'm not sure how else they could have worded it.

How about:

"Of the member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name."

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

How about:

"Of the member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name."

No, because the UN has six lists for country names - English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic. The Spanish Iist has more than one country with an article in its name. I now know more about UN nation names than I ever wanted to know. 

• Love 6
  • On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its English name
  • On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name in English
  • On the English-language list of member states' English names at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name
  • Love 9
(edited)

The poison TS surprised me, especially with the “like a fumigant” hint; I guess they’d never even heard the phrase, just like they’d apparently never heard “marry in haste, repent at leisure”.  The strawberry shortcake TS surprised me a little, too, as did no one even guessing blue (beard).

The Norman Lear TS made me sad.

I ran the first round and FJ was an instaget, but it was not my day in DJ; I missed at least half a dozen.

Edited by Bastet
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks. Like others, I misunderstood.

I got lady fingers, strawberry shortcake, Norman Lear, Limoges, Flesh, and blue (beard).

The description of strawberry shortcake made me picture Mrs. McCarthy's prize-winning scones in Father Brown.

I didn't get FJ.

• Love 1

For FJ, I focused on the Spanish article part of the clue, since I really couldn't figure out what they were looking for. El Salvador seemed too obvious, but I couldn't think of anything else. Win!

I also got San Diego Chicken, Lilly Singh, Norman Lear, and blue.

• Love 2

So, is that it for Jeopardy for the foreseeable future? Next week they are showing a Ken Jennings game and then re-rerunning the GOAT tournament, was today’s the last filmed episode?

☹️

10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Really?  My family counts it as whatever letter we meant it to be.  

If you tried that in a Scrabble game with my family, there would be a fist fight. LOL 

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

So, is that it for Jeopardy for the foreseeable future? Next week they are showing a Ken Jennings game and then re-rerunning the GOAT tournament, was today’s the last filmed episode?

☹️

No, there are still new episodes to come. It was originally reported in this jeopardyfan.com story that there were enough new episodes to go through May 29, but now the story's been updated:

According to my records here at The Jeopardy! Fan, it appears as though Jeopardy! currently has enough episodes taped to air until June 12, 2020. I have received confirmation from multiple parties that both the College Championship and Teachers Tournament taped prior to the suspension of production and will air, the College Championship from April 6-17 and the Teachers Tournament from May 25-June 5.

The show had already begun taping without an audience as of the March 10 taping.

This past week still had an audience.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Where I live they currently run 2 eps back to back.  I’m usually at work not home, so this is all new to me.  I’ve figured out the first ep is a repeat and the 2nd is the live / current one.  

The oldies / repeat eps have been with this Lindsey girl with a big underbite and lots of hand / wrist jewelry and she is so effing annoying with the clicker.  YIKES.  I had to stop watching those eps because she was wayyyy too cringe. 

TL / DR I’m glad I now know what channel and time J! is on since I’ve been home.  I missed this.

(edited)

Pretty good game last night.  I like the current champ.

My ts's were marry, lady fingers, Norman Lear, Limoges, and flesh. 

I thought the FJ question was clear enough - they were looking for the only country whose English name had a Spanish article.  Unfortunately I don't know much Spanish.  The only article I could think of was Los and that wasn't it.  I should have taken a tour south from Mexico and I might have got there.

eta:  Didn't they have Norman Lear on the show sometime this season with his own category and he read the clues?

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The description of strawberry shortcake made me picture Mrs. McCarthy's prize-winning scones in Father Brown.

I know! I've made strawberry shortcake many times, with biscuits, not white cake like some people do, but the description just made me think of scones rather than shortcake.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Didn't they have Norman Lear on the show sometime this season with his own category and he read the clues?

Yes. Well, either this season or last. But I remember it.

30 minutes ago, Trey said:

I've made strawberry shortcake many times, with biscuits, not white cake like some people do, but the description just made me think of scones rather than shortcake.

I didn't have a clue about that description since, having been raised poor, our strawberry shortcake was those yellow Twinkie-type sponge cakes (that come four to a package) with strawberries and Cool Whip on top. Now I don't know what to call that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't have a clue about that description since, having been raised poor, our strawberry shortcake was those yellow Twinkie-type sponge cakes (that come four to a package) with strawberries and Cool Whip on top. Now I don't know what to call that.

That's also strawberry shortcake.  Sometimes we had angel food for the base, sometimes real whipped cream but more often Cool Whip, or Dream Whip.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't have a clue about that description since, having been raised poor, our strawberry shortcake was those yellow Twinkie-type sponge cakes with strawberries and Cool Whip on top.

We couldn't afford those boughten things, we had to make our own or do without.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Trey said:

We couldn't afford those boughten things, we had to make our own or do without.

Sounds like you grew up making the real deal and, I suspect, got that TS!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Sounds like you grew up making the real deal and, I suspect, got that TS!

No, sadly, I said scones. My mother made the real deal shortcake and I took up making it once I had a family to make it for.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I've only heard of it made with angel food cake,

Me too! It wasn't until an episode of The Great British Baking Show (PBS, so the American name) that I discovered that it's made with a biscuit.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Me too! It wasn't until an episode of The Great British Baking Show (PBS, so the American name) that I discovered that it's made with a biscuit.

But isn't a biscuit a cookie in Brit speak?

I mean, isn't a cookie a biscuit in Brit speak?

Edited by saber5055
Living in Bizarro World.
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

My mother made shortcake, which is a sweet biscuit, to make strawberry shortcake.

Yes, a sweet tea biscuit, similar but not quite the same as a scone.

One of the best scones I've ever eaten was from the snack bar at the ferry terminal in Belfast, Ireland.  I don't know what made it so good -- it was fresh, and I was hungry, which no doubt helped, but man that thing was just delicious!  And it was a lot like a Southern biscuit.  

• Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, DrScottie said:

Having taken Spanish and did a semester abroad in Spain, it was an instaget for me. 

I was sad they didn't know Norman Lear. The man is a television legend.

I lived in Spain for two years (as a child) and took the language, and still couldn't get to it - I blame geography - I was "scanning" the countries westward from Europe and didn't make it past the Caribbean by the time the time was out. The places that kept popping up had French words. Arggh! It was dead easy too, once you think of it.

I was obviously having a slow day, as I could not get Norman Lear to pop into my head. I knew who he was, have watched most of the shows (including the brilliant One Day at a Time reboot). Sheesh.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:17 PM, dcalley said:
  • On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its English name
  • On the English-language list of member states at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name in English
  • On the English-language list of member states' English names at un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name

The first one for the win, in my book.  Simple and clear.

23 hours ago, Trey said:

I know! I've made strawberry shortcake many times, with biscuits, not white cake like some people do, but the description just made me think of scones rather than shortcake.

It was my father's favorite dessert,  and his birthday "cake." But always with sweet biscuits - never cake. He was from the south, and that's the way his mom made it. He taught my mom (from Europe) how to make both kinds of biscuits. They ruled at our house. I have had it with angel food cake, but for me the taste isn't as good, and the texture doesn't work, I like a bit of a chew.

• Love 2