Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I’m glad I wasn’t alone in being confused by the English-language list. I thought it was referring to countries that would hear UN meetings in English (as opposed to the other five languages that are interpreted simultaneously). Perhaps knowing that bit about simultaneous interpretation threw off my reading comprehension. I said El Salvador because it was the only Spanish-article county to come to mind, but I thought I was wrong. 

• Love 2

I've been in the hospital, so I missed much. But I must say I have a friend that was on J! a long time ago, probably the mid-70s, and they had almost the very same FJ question. It didn't say "first half" so Charlene went with Royce and has never lived down her shame. LOL.

• Love 6
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 8:06 PM, lurk3000 said:

Nobody knew the San Diego Chicken!? We are truly lost.

I didn't remember that one.  It's been a long time since I heard anything about the San Diego Chicken.  Now, if the answer had been the Phillie Phanatic . . .

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 8:47 PM, saber5055 said:

I say the clue was poorly written. Why even say some list is "English language"? We're speaking English and El Salvador is the same in English and in Spanish. According to this list it's El Salvador in 21 languages. My interpretation was they were looking for a country that speaks English: "On the English-language list of member states ..." A list of member states where English is the language.

Conclusion: Poorly written clue, something not unusual on this show.

I didn't think it was poorly written at all.  It was clear to me that the list was in English.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

just like they’d apparently never heard “marry in haste, repent at leisure”.

I learned that one from Laura Ingalls Wilder.

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 1:27 AM, SHD said:

If you tried that in a Scrabble game with my family, there would be a fist fight. LOL 

Well, I did say we don't follow all the rules that closely.  But thanks for the warning, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a friend that was on J! a long time ago, probably the mid-70s, and they had almost the very same FJ question. It didn't say "first half" so Charlene went with Royce and has never lived down her shame.

You can tell Charlene that because of her they made the clue more clear this time around. She can feel redeemed!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

On 5/1/2020 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

just like they’d apparently never heard “marry in haste, repent at leisure”.

I learned that one from Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Same here.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:44 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:
On 4/27/2020 at 12:00 PM, PBnJay said:

There is a Rolls Royce aviation museum in Indianapolis and one in England. Lucky me has been to both.

Really?  where is it in Indianapolis?

It's downtown near I74 and 65. I think it's still there, it was a while back when we visited.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kit Carson sighting!  Today’s Death Valley Days, Season 16, Episode 7, Spring Roundezvous, on Starz Encore Westerns.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Kit Carson sighting!  Today’s Death Valley Days, Season 16, Episode 7, Spring Roundezvous, on Starz Encore Westerns.

Kit Carson AND 20-Mule-Team Borax! It's a win-win day.

• Love 4

I'd forgotten what a close game that first one was.  And yes, interesting that he got away with just "Jones."

Not sure I can handle the return of the GOAT tournament.

That wasn’t as emotionally painful as I thought it would be to watch. Maybe if they run out of shows, they will reshow all the run. 

Heh, all these years later, I forgot the right answer to FJ. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, opus said:

Ugh, that Ken guy was super annoying. I’m out till he’s gone. Don’t think he’ll last long though.

LOL at that post since all I could think, watching this episode, was the snark the new champ would get about how he looked, his wrong answers, his eyes, his interview, what he was wearing, how tall he was ... you know, all the typical shade that gets thrown around these parts.

I don't see anything wrong with giving just the last name for FJ since it's okay during the regular game and a first name wasn't asked for. Just because Jones is a common name, that's not his -- or her -- fault.

It would have been interesting to see what happened if the champ didn't miss his "all in" DD. I also think he got that one answer out before time was up. It's like he started saying it when the light was yellow, not green, but still, it was a yellow light and I think it should have counted. (Equating Jeopardy with traffic lights.)

Instead of re-running the GOAT, i'd like to see the first games of all the big-winning players like Brad, Julia, Arthur, Colby and more from the Wayback Machine. I never got to see Ken's run since the show airs during the day here, so today was fun for me.

Side note: Jones was stripped of all her Olympic medals/titles after being busted for doping.

20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not sure I can handle the return of the GOAT tournament.

It will free up my day better so I won't have to stress about being home by 4:30. It'll be a nice brain vacation, although I will probably still watch some if nothing more important comes up, like mowing grass or throwing the ball for the dogs.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I didn't recall that Ken got away with just saying "Who is Jones" for FJ. Hmmm. 

(Big fan, so I'm glad he did. Just... pondering.)

51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'd forgotten what a close game that first one was.  And yes, interesting that he got away with just "Jones."

I thought for FJ they told the players not only if it's a What/Who/Where to start the answer, but if a first name would be required.  If that's not the case, I'm not sure why I think that, but I feel like someone told me that at one point.  Maybe someone who has been on the show can clarify?

51 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

That wasn’t as emotionally painful as I thought it would be to watch. Maybe if they run out of shows, they will reshow all the run.  

I was thinking that they could fill quite a lot of time running the whole KJ run again.  I never say any of it; I was in law school and Jeopardy! wasn't part of my world at that time, though I watched it growing up.

Regarding the Parcheesi question, you can actually move 4 pawns from a single roll if you get the doubles bonus.

Yes, I'd be interested in having the rest re-run as well. Why not?

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, forumfish said:

I don't know what the planned schedule is for the extra-long off-season, but I'd like to see repeats of each season's Tournament of Champions, please and thank you!

I agree with this, and the older the better (as with everything in life!). Nice to see you again, @forumfish, long time no hear from.

I did watch yesterday and it was refreshing to see a game played quickly and smartly. Once again, it will make us all cranky when regular games start, with all the waffling and pausing and buzzer shaking and multiple TSs and clues left on the board.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Are you able to answer questions that you missed when the tournament was broadcast before? The first time, I couldn't think of Shoemaker, but this time I remembered the name.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Driad said:

Are you able to answer questions that you missed when the tournament was broadcast before? The first time, I couldn't think of Shoemaker, but this time I remembered the name.

Nope.  I still said Hale, just like I did the first time.  🙂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Nope.  I still said Hale, just like I did the first time.

I nominate Browncoat for the consistency prize!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Nope.  I still said Hale, just like I did the first time.

I nominate Browncoat for the consistency prize!

I second that nomination! I said Halley, no too old, then Hale, like in Hale-Bopp, then wondered if Hubble was a person. Then I thought, even though I watched the GOAT tournament, "There's some guy's ashes on the moon?" I maybe could have remembered the answer if I associated Shoemaker with anything besides race horses.

• Love 2

I was half-heartedly watching as I was trying to unpack (still haven't made the bed - SIL took EVERYTHING fabric that was visible & washed it all) but I was glad to see the Jennings/Ratso Rizzo impersonation again. ("I think I broke my buzzer...")  I treasure that moment.

• Love 7

Brad is actually doing a lot better than I remembered that he did. Heh and I keep missing the FJs...even though I did watch the episodes the first time they aired. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Jeopardy just tweeted that there will be new episodes shown starting Monday.  These were taped before the shutdown. 

So what will be shown this Friday?  Ken's last regular season game?

22 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Jeopardy just tweeted that there will be new episodes shown starting Monday.  These were taped before the shutdown. 

New "regular" shows begin airing on May 18. The 2020 Teacher's Tournament begins on May 25. And yes, Ken's defeat is being aired tomorrow, Friday.

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Hey everyone! Mr. Jennings is back today. I'm excited to watch his new more spectacular run as champ!

ken.png.0f804827bc4fada11ae5cb6f75c9c754.png

Here (NYC) we got the final GOAT game today. Probably because an episode was preempted earlier in the week for a COVID telethon.

41 minutes ago, opus said:

Here (NYC) we got the final GOAT game today. Probably because an episode was preempted earlier in the week for a COVID telethon.

You New Yorkers are always days behind the real front-of-the-line trend setters, the Midwest. Try to keep up next time. (JK. Maybe.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

It was fun to watch Ken's last regular game.  I liked the winner.  How long did she last?

Nancy lost the next game, so she was a One Timer.

goat.png.3e2e4cc53d8ac084ee132945e3ae08bb.png

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Ken prints his lower-case a the same way I do. Conclusion? Not a clue.

This will be the most useless post ever, but I once read something about people who print their a's like that, and one's that do it the other way.  I just don't remember what it was.

• LOL 3

No J! for me tonight. The local affiliate is airing a COVID town hall 7-8. and of course haven't indicated when or if they plan to ever show the episode.

3 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I guess Megan didn't want to play a second game. (Either that or she can't math. Hey, I can't math either, but even I saw that she should bet 0.)

That was my first thought too, why on earth did she bet anything!?

(also when I hit 'go to this post' in my email it took me to my home page, not to Jeopardy)

• Love 1

I never pay attention to the scores?  WAs it a runaway and she bet money?  Maybe she needed tons of money for something.

I got FJ right.  I got the TS of pomegranate, beluga, Aconcagua, and Bogota. I got the entire Scandals category wrong and the entire Andes category right, so those were a wash:)

• Love 1

Unless she were very confident in the category, which she apparently wasn't, she definitely should have bet zero.  I say she wasn't confident in the category because of her smallish wager.  It took me every last second of the think music to come up with FJ -- I knew what the clue meant, but it just took that long to dredge it from my memory banks.  I doubt I'd have had time to write it down before Alex revealed the first response, but I said it out loud!  

The only TS I got was God Save The Queen, though I should have gotten beluga.

The top of Jesse's sweater (that black bit) put me in mind of a mask worn around the neck instead of over his face.  

For anyone criticizing Megan for betting an amount in FJ, consider what Andy posted on today's page of TheJeopardyFan.com:

"The Jeopardy! Fan is of the firm belief that the best course of action in the situation that Megan found herself in is to play for the victory. Remember that since November 2014, ties in regular play after Final Jeopardy! are broken by a tiebreaker clue. I also very firmly disagree with the premise that the show should revert to pre-2015 rules; the world is significantly more connected than it was when the original rule was devised in 1964 and it would be a Standards & Practices nightmare in order to avoid collusion in today’s connected world."

It just didn't work out for her. Like lots of games just don't work out for lots of players. The tie-breaker clue sucks IMO. I wouldn't want to do it either.

• Love 2

welcome back minions GIF

<waves to everyone>

Apparently my DVR is out of practice as it failed to automatically record tonight. I did manage to start recording right after the first commercial break.

Anyhow, I got Earth, beluga, and for whatever reason FJ was an instaget.

Looks like my two week brain break paid off. :-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

My eyes were already trying to make their way out of my head at Megan's FJ answer, and then came the wager.  She'd had a lead since early in the game and no wrong answers, so I figured she was going to be the new champ.  Oh, well.  I'm just glad I remembered right at 7:00 oh yeah, new episodes again starting tonight.

The pomegranate, intelligentsia, and Bogota TS were all clues I expected someone to get, but no real surprises in the bunch.

I had a pretty good game, with no bad category and just a handful of scattered misses.  It's nice to have the show back.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Apparently my DVR is out of practice as it failed to automatically record tonight. I did manage to start recording right after the first commercial break.

Same here. I don't know why my DVR didn't record. I'll have to doublecheck thruout the week.

But!... I did bad. No FJ. No TSs. I blame the multiple margaritas. They were good. I was not.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

welcome back minions GIF

<waves to everyone>

Anyhow, I got Earth, beluga, and for whatever reason FJ was an instaget.

Looks like my two week brain break paid off. 🙂

So did mine! The guide said new but the DVR didn’t record it. Weird! Luckily I found the full episode on YouTube afterwards. 

• Love 2