Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Am I the only one who thinks finger and singer don’t exactly rhyme?

When I answered I pronounced singer like it rhymed with finger, and it sounded weird, LOl.

I got FJ, but assumed it was wrong because it seemed to easy.

I got the TS of Cupid, Mindanao (sp?), Arthur, and Scotland. 

I got the entire category of ye right.  I only missed on in Facts. I was off by one on the how many in congress and reps questions.  That was annoying.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

But I was a little sad at the yearbook clue -- did the class of 2020 get yearbooks?  I hope they did.

I bet most of them will.  They'd have enough pictures and were probably working on layout all year.  In most cases it can probably be finished up and sent to the printer and then they can make arrangements for students to pick up.

• Love 3

It's an archive night for me, so I couldn't see any of the pictures, but I think that only caused me a problem in one clue.

Unlike a game earlier this week, when I ran categories that are weak subjects for me, tonight I did every bit as poorly as expected with the mythology clues.  Plus I even screwed up in strong subjects; I missed one of the drinks clues (I'd never heard of a French 75) and one of the geography clues (St. Kitts).  Not a good first round for me.

DJ was even worse; I missed probably a good ten clues.  Thankfully FJ was an instaget, so at least I ended on a high note.

51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad middle woman wrote "top brass" -- that's what I wrote, and wondered if they'd accept that, or if they only wanted "brass".

I also got pled and shred, King Arthur, Scotland, and Newcastle.  I was really surprised no one guessed King Arthur -- every time he introduces himself in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it's as Arthur, King of the Britons.

I kind of laughed at the H&R Block clue -- I'll bet Ken didn't miss it this time!

But I was a little sad at the yearbook clue -- did the class of 2020 get yearbooks?  I hope they did.

I thought "brass" alone wasn't enough. I've always heard "top brass", never just "the brass." Conversely, I thought Ben should have received credit for Eros rather than Cupid, since the two are the same--it's just the Greek/Roman difference. Maybe because they referred to his mom as Venus and not Aphrodite.

I didn't know a lot of the rhyming word clues, and I usually do well with word categories. The geography also seemed especially tough tonight.

I also thought of Ken when H&R Block came up!

56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I bet most of them will.  They'd have enough pictures and were probably working on layout all year.  In most cases it can probably be finished up and sent to the printer and then they can make arrangements for students to pick up.

Also, there are probably many online yearbooks nowadays.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought "brass" alone wasn't enough. I've always heard "top brass", never just "the brass."

I also thought of Ken when H&R Block came up!

I have heard just "the brass" but the entirety of my knowledge of this subject comes from watching too much NCIS. Having said that, FJ was an instaget for me.

Add me to the list of people who thought of Ken for H&R Block. I chuckled at the clue.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

You would if you watched The Masked Singer since Nick Cannon pronounces it "sing-ger."

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought "brass" alone wasn't enough. I've always heard "top brass", never just "the brass."

Interestingly, I had just read this description of today's M.A.S.H. rerun before watching Jeopardy: "Season 2, Episode 8. Hot Lips and Frank challenge Henry's fitness to command by reporting the activities of the 4077th to the Army brass."

FJ asked for "word," not plural "words." Top Brass was TMI (and some brass is more top than other brass) but the show in its kindness let it go.

I was prepared to LMAO if anyone answered FedEx to "Since its founding in 1955, this company with locations in all 50 states has prepared more than 800 million tax returns."

It was a laugh-less show, unfortunately.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

My husband was in the Army. He said they referred to them as the Brass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

You are not.  I don't pronounce them the same, either.

I think I pronounce them the same - but it's hard to know, because once I'm aware of how I'm pronouncing something, I'm  never sure if I really say it that way. Merriam Webster shows the same pronunciation notations - but adds another for singer. For me it seems that it's kind of how hard you hit the "g" when pronouncing it.

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband was in the Army. He said they referred to them as the Brass.

When I was a military brat, "Brass" was a collective term for all officers - from lieutenants to generals - whereas "top brass" was reserved for the highest ranking ones on the post/base. Dad served in both the Army and the Air Force, so maybe it's different between the branches, as "post" and "base" is. Or it's just that I was a military brat a long time ago,  and current parlance is different.

9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband, Army vet, says sometimes they would drop the "br". 🤣

Yeah, my dad, the NCO would do the same.😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think I pronounce them the same - but it's hard to know, because once I'm aware of how I'm pronouncing something, I'm  never sure if I really say it that way. Merriam Webster shows the same pronunciation notations - but adds another for singer. For me it seems that it's kind of how hard you hit the "g" when pronouncing it.

It seems like some people add a g to the second syllable, so instead of saying sing-er, they say sing-ger.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎05‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

didn't get FJ, but probably should have.  

I knew it from a story from high school French teacher told about accidentally using that word after a meal with a French host family in college instead of the word for "full".

On ‎05‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:23 PM, saber5055 said:

Same here. Limas are green and flat, bigger. Butter beans are cream colored and shaped like a smaller kidney bean, or navy bean. I disliked limas intensely as a kid, but they are just fine now.

The butter beans my mother used to get were shaped like limas and were bigger than the limas.

From the Southern Bite website/blog: "For many folks, the term “butter bean” refers to the large dried limas that are rehydrated and cooked. I call those dried limas. And anything of the green variety in between, I've always just called limas. The truth is, they're all limas of some sort."

Okey dokey then.

On ‎05‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:17 PM, peeayebee said:

If you know anything about I Love Lucy, FJ was probably easy. I'm not surprised that Rachel didn't get it. Kids these days.

Others I got were Egypt, mosquito, All Quiet on the Western Front, Spaulding Gray, zebu, and Pecos Bill. Coincidentally, today my sister and I were looking at an animal video online, and she wondered what the big cow-like animal was. I told her it was a zebu.

I didn't get zebu, but did get all the rest.

On ‎05‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:38 PM, saber5055 said:

Having spent way too much time on top of a horse at rodeos and on cow/calf operations, that photo was a Brahman which, it turns out, is a strain of Zebu. I admit I had a difficult time trying to fit Brahma into a four-letter, high-scoring Scrabble word.

Yeah, I was trying to make Brahman work as well.

Edited by proserpina65
To insert what I just found out about butter beans
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Nope, you pronounce the hard g in finger and not in singer.  I've never heard anyone say "sing-ger".

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Unlike a game earlier this week, when I ran categories that are weak subjects for me, tonight I did every bit as poorly as expected with the mythology clues.

I had a problem with Hercules being accepted as the answer to the clue about the man-eating horses of Diomedes.  I guess since the basic myth was Romanized, Diomedes' name was the same, so I guess Hercules could be correct.  But they'd have to have accepted Heracles, the actual Greek demigod if I'd been playing, otherwise I'd have caused a ruckus.  (I've tried getting an answer about Diomedes from the internet, but nothing I've found really helped.)

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I missed one of the drinks clues (I'd never heard of a French 75)

I haven't either.  I said Buck's Fizz, which is the British name for a mimosa (champagne and orange juice) but didn't think it fit the WWI gun part of the clue.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Conversely, I thought Ben should have received credit for Eros rather than Cupid, since the two are the same--it's just the Greek/Roman difference. Maybe because they referred to his mom as Venus and not Aphrodite.

It's exactly because they referenced the Roman goddess rather than the Greek one.  Eros was incorrect because Venus was not his mother.  Aphrodite was.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You would if you watched The Masked Singer since Nick Cannon pronounces it "sing-ger."

I don't watch that show.  Good to know for future reference.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think I pronounce them the same - but it's hard to know, because once I'm aware of how I'm pronouncing something, I'm  never sure if I really say it that way

Me too. I can't even get my head around how they would be different. I don't think I've ever heard a difference around here, I feel like I've really missed something.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Eros was incorrect because Venus was not his mother.  Aphrodite was.

also I thought that since they referenced Psyche in the clue it had to be Cupid as Cupid and Psyche is the name of the story.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't watch that show.  Good to know for future reference.

I post in that thread. Cannon's saying "sing-ger" multiple times every episode bugged me until I was told that's a running joke over there, everyone makes fun of him. So now I listen for it and enjoy it (since I'm not a NC fan).

12 hours ago, nokat said:

I've never heard it other than top brass.

Now you have.

I enjoyed last night's game.  And I like the new champ.

My ts's were Cupid, menial/genial, Trans-Canada Hwy. - you would think someone would have at least guessed on that one, and Scotland.

I said top brass for FJ; son said brass hat. 

• Love 1

Tonight was not my night. But, I did get FJ.  Total instaget since I live there.

I got the TS of $5, Declaration of Independence, and 1974 (before the wrong answers).

I got the entire Yearbook category wrong.  I do awful with pictures.  

I made a couple of stupid mistake.  I should have known Topps's, but I thought Alex was accenting quarterly so I said coin-collecting.

• Love 2

Whew.  I struggled a little with FJ tonight, going through all the New England states and their Ivies.  I came up with the correct response in time just to write VT.  I think that would count -- it's the postal abbreviation, so it should count!

Not a bad game tonight, although I was dumbfounded that none of them could come up with the Declaration of Independence!  I mean, maybe the first one missing it, but all three?  Astonishing.  I got that as well as $5 bill, 1974, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (I love that show), La Cage Aux Folles, and 1977.

• Love 1

The new champ is kind of perplexing. He played a decent game, but some of his wrong answers were really bad. It also surprised me that two of them answered Connecticut for FJ. Yale never occurred to them? It did to me immediately and helped me get to Vermont. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

It also surprised me that two of them answered Connecticut for FJ. Yale never occurred to them?

I didn't find it odd at all. I know the names of Ivy schools but not the states where they are. What was interesting was the player from Philadelphia was the only one who answered correctly, he lives in the east. The players from Wisconsin and Louisiana ... and this one from Illinois ... didn't have a clue so guessed.

Nice comeback for the new champ. Congrats.

• Love 1

Articles of Confederation? Wow.

I got 1974 immediately. I was in England when Nixon resigned. I'm not sure if I remember what year I was in England because that's when Nixon resigned, or if I remember what year Nixon resigned because that's when I was in England.

I also La Cage aux Folles.

I'm terrible with universities and where they are, so I didn't get FJ.

• Love 4

When the "bottle" category was announced, I predicted bottlebrush and bottleneck as answers.  Good for me.

I was on track to redeem myself after last night's poor showing, getting everything but Jutland in the first round, and then figured the Graphic Novels category turned was going to sink me in DJ.  But, thankfully, I was able to answer three of them because of the other information in the clues.  I missed a couple of Broadway musicals, too, and one or two other scattered clues, so a fairly good performance.  FJ came to me quickly enough that I think I'd have come up with it in time even under game conditions.

The $5 bill, La Cage aux Folles, and 1974 TS surprised me to varying degrees (all the 1970s TS, really, in that they couldn't get there with three guesses available, but especially that one), but the Declaration of Independence being whiffed by all three really threw me!

The two Connecticut answers in FJ also surprised me.

I found the thermodynamics clue hideously overvalued as a DD in DJ.  Same with knowing Lincoln was the 16th president being a J! clue, ever (at least that one was only worth $200, but still).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not a bad game tonight, although I was dumbfounded that none of them could come up with the Declaration of Independence!  I mean, maybe the first one missing it, but all three?

I know, right? I mean, those are all important documents, but they'd hardly be recognizable. Would these contestants have been in the audience for the FJ  with the Articles of Federation? That was on the 18th, but I don't know how many sit in the audience (if there is one at this time), and as I recall, they film a reduced number of shows a day.  Not sure where I'm going with this except that perhaps it influenced them in some way.

12 hours ago, DXD526 said:

The new champ is kind of perplexing. He played a decent game, but some of his wrong answers were really bad. It also surprised me that two of them answered Connecticut for FJ. Yale never occurred to them? It did to me immediately and helped me get to Vermont. 

The Ivies are familiar to me only as "the Ivies" - for the most part I couldn't tell you which universities were in them (though I would probably guess Yale), and I couldn't tell you where most of them are. I did think of Dartmouth, but I thought it was in Vermont. So there you go.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got 1974 immediately. I was in England when Nixon resigned. I'm not sure if I remember what year I was in England because that's when Nixon resigned, or if I remember what year Nixon resigned because that's when I was in England.

I had a memory related to where I lived as well, so I got it without a problem. I moved around a lot until my 30's, so I could tie events to where I lived. These days, it all blurs because I've lived in one place for so long.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Articles of Confederation? Wow.

Just quoting myself to admit I'm a dum-dum and can't blame the wine. I was thinking this answer was about the Confederacy. Doh.

• LOL 1

The Connecticuts surprised me as well, but as I thought about it more, it's probably the least-wrong wrong answer:  it does border three states, and they all have Ivies.  Nothing else meets that.

(Granted, there are many states that fulfill 2/3 of the criteria by bordering 3 states and not having an Ivy, but I think that's a lower bar.)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Scott said:

it's probably the least-wrong wrong answer

Or to use one of my favorite sayings, "Great answer! It's wrong, but it's a great answer." I appreciate your way of thinking!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not a bad game tonight, although I was dumbfounded that none of them could come up with the Declaration of Independence!  I mean, maybe the first one missing it, but all three?  Astonishing.  I got that as well as $5 bill, 1974, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (I love that show), La Cage Aux Folles, and 1977.

After the first incorrect response, I said, "no, the other one!"  After the second:  "no, the other other one!"  After the third:  "I give up."

• LOL 3
On 5/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder how many google searches for "French 75" there will be.

Count me as one. I'd never heard of it -- or so I thought. Then tonight while watching "Casablanca" again on TCM, I was surprised to hear a customer in Rick's order a French 75. So, apparently, I've heard of a French 75 a zillion times.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I got the TS of Revelation, cobalt, and The Nightingale.  I got the entire category of It's a Fact right.

I got FJ, though I never thought of that as a panhandle.

Instaget FJ tonight.  I was surprised that one of them missed it.

I also got Revelation and cobalt.  I just could not remember The Nightingale for anything.  But I did not need the film clip to know that Archibald Leach = Cary Grant!

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not need the film clip to know that Archibald Leach = Cary Grant!

Neither did I. A nearby town holds the dubious honor of being where Mr. Leach passed away after collapsing on stage during his one-man show.

I got FJ before the clue was even finished, then I questioned myself. When is that shape called a panhandle, unless the pan is hanging on your wall. And if Idaho has a  panhandle, are Vermont and New Hampshire handle states? No pan, just handle.

On Friday, the middle player tried to do an elbow bump with Mr. Trebek. Today he shook everyone's hand.

I said bulldog clips for binder clips. I use both to hang skirts and pants on hangers. Both also hold nice big globs of paper.

I'd think everyone by now know there is no "s" on the end of Revelation. I'm guessing the other two players misheard.

Big props to ivory for his bold DD bets.

• Love 1

I thought FJ was so obvious tonight that I started to seriously doubt myself, to the point of thinking of other possible states before landing back on yup, it is that obvious.

Wasn't paying much attention to the rest of the show. 

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

On Friday, the middle player tried to do an elbow bump with Mr. Trebek. Today he shook everyone's hand.

It said on screen at the beginning that this episode was filmed Feb. 22, I think.

Just now, biakbiak said:

I was sort of surprised that Alex made Peter be more specific when he said Manning given the category was Archie.

Although it would have been funny if he had replied "Eli."

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I was sort of surprised that Alex made Peter be more specific when he said Manning given the category was Archie.

I agree; with Archie as the category, I don't think Peter should have had to repeat it, and really don't think he should have been teased for just saying Manning.  It felt to me like Alex forgot the category. 

The She Said TS surprised me a bit, as did the missed DD of cobalt, but good performance by Amanda.

Thanks to the categories about the Bible, TV shows, and recent bestsellers, I did not have a great game; I missed several in each of those.  But I got everything else and FJ was an instaget, so it wasn't a bad game.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

It said on screen at the beginning that this episode was filmed Feb. 22, I think.

It said it was filmed February 2020.

ETA: On rechecking, it said "Taped February 2020".

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I did not need the film clip to know that Archibald Leach = Cary Grant!

I was irritated that they showed a clip. 

I got Revelation, but I somehow don't feel like that counts. I mean, it DOES, but it's a gimme.

Where is that skyscraper called Jenga? Very cool.

Why am I always amazed when the last clue is the DD?

I did not get FJ. I said New Hampshire, happy that I chose the one (betw it and Vermont) that "pointed up."

• Love 1