Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: The Big Decision

• Start Topic

Meri goes to Utah to reunite with a childhood friend. Meanwhile, Janelle's weight-loss journey continues; and the Browns' attempt to secure investors for their jewelry business could be doomed due to one wife's mistake.

I know this is what the producers want, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what "mistake" costs them the business.  Because I'm evil.

• Love 5
I know this is what the producers want, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what "mistake" costs them the business.  Because I'm evil.

Then add me to Team Evil. I've worked full time for the past 43 years (and part time when I was in school) and live in a 900 square foot house.  I have never once defaulted on a loan or declared bankruptcy because I have always earned what I own.  I really, really want to see these grifters get nailed for their insane and irresponsible lifestyle that, despite their blathering about it, has nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy. It's one wife and 3 baby mamas milking the system and their delusional assumption that they deserve all of the stuff they have accumulated.

I feel sorry for the kids.  As for the pseudo-adults i have not a shred of compassion - it's time to wake up and join the real world and live within your means.

• Love 11
(edited)

I think the "mistake" was Christine's statement that borrowing more would make them lazy, or something like that.  (Of course, they are in denial about all the thousands of other "mistakes" they've made!)

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 1

Jeez they all kinda made "mistakes".  so there's a lot of blame to go round. 

Robyn's grandiose statements on how their magical jewelry empowers women and makes them super women (all said while blubbering)?

Christine's stating that they're "only" asking for $2.5 mil because otherwise they "might get lazy and not pay the money back" if they got more than that?

Janelle's claim that they were going to make $3 million next year and $10 million by 2017?

Don't remember what Meri said...LOL

of course no blame on Saint Kody.  eeccchh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I know this is what the producers want, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what "mistake" costs them the business.  Because I'm evil.

I have a reserved seat on the evil bus also then.  :)

Why do I want it to be Robyn's mistake?  Yeah, I can't stand her.  The other wives do things that make me want to throw cushions, but Robyn I can do without ever seeing or hearing about again.  For sure though there was plenty of blame to go around and dozens of mistakes made in their alleged pitch.

• Love 2

I keep seeing the commercial about all their secrets growing up.  The way Mariah says "I always referred to these guys as my friends" shows she really thinks she's a step above the rest. We all know she's probably been told by her mother on many accounts that's she so much more mature than her sisters, and she's probably gotten a little more along the way (college, anyone?) from being the only child with Meri. So seeing her say it, that way, just confirmed it for me.

• Love 3
I think Robyn's getting the evil edit this season, or mini season or whatever you wanna call it, along with Kody.

I wonder if Meri bitched about her and Mariah looking bad on the show, so far they are getting the good edit this season and were likeable on this episode.

Poor Christine is taking the fall for the meeting last episode, I just don't think she is too bright. Robyn & Kody aren't the brightest either. Say what you will about Meri but I don't think she is dumb and either is Janelle.

This show is just sooooo stupid tonight.   The world just evolves around Kody 24 hrs a day.    It's just so effing stupid.   I can't believe that the investors gave them money. 

Lol! What a disaster. They must not have invested in the website because twice it just gave me an error message. Please let us see the meeting where there bank accounts get levied on.

So.....are they launching a new website tonight? Tomorrow? Or did they spend the money on more of the same product? It's a wordpress site right now, and I hear the shopping cart checkout is not https.

So the truth comes out- they needed the money so they can put kids through college (can't get rid of college loans in a bankruptcy) and so Robyn can have a baby and a life, since she is so tired after selling 500 trinkets over the past two years. When was this show filmed, I wonder? Have they had their six-month review yet? I also wonder if the cheesy watches that were recently added to the site are the "new product" they are rolling out.

So now Kody is saying he really didn't want to move to Vegas but he had to sell it to the family. What a jackass. The wives mentioned several times in THs that he had wanted to move to Vegas for years. Do these people forget that their lives for the past 4-5 years is all on video?

The whole meet-up with Meri's kindergarten friend was a little weird. She hasn't seen her in 37 years. Do any of us really remember our friends from kindergarten and have any fond memories to share? I guess they needed some lead-up to the persecuted plig segment.

I wonder how much of the $250,000 went towards the "We Appreciate Kody" party?

• Love 6

Such a hard life these people have....no need to work, and throwing theme parties in the massive backyards of their mcmansions.  And to top it all off, they actually got some investment in their "business"!?   That had to be set up by TLC, right....?  

I think my "favourite" part of the show was Robyn saying she hopes they get an investor so she can have a baby.  Because that makes sense.

• Love 4

What, they got money????

$250,000 to $500,000 and 5% of the business, to be re-evaluated in six months. Robyn and Janelle said they would roll out new product within a few weeks. Christine squealed about getting money. Then Janelle said if they don't get any new business they will loose the business and be left with debt [sad face]. 

• Love 1

What, they got money????

I'm going to erase this episode unwatched, I don't want to lose my lunch.

My thoughts exactly. How the @#$@# did they get the money? Were there any restrictions on how they use the money? 

• Love 2
(edited)

OMG this show is getting boring!  They've already done the "go back to the Utah house" plot device.  They've already done the "let's throw a party" plot device.  How many freaking times are they going to congratulate themselves to each other?

I think perhaps the website we see now IS the result of the extra cash.  I don't know what it looked like beforehand but it's probably not much better now.   All that money probably went to pay off their debtors, lol.

If I had only known someone in kindergarten, I would not remember much about them after 37 years even if we were friendly.  I knew people only in 3rd grade that I still remember fondly and Facebook now and then, but no one from before then that didn't last for a few years at least.

Edited by Intuition

Do these people have to cry in every episode?  Meri cries because she has to speak to the gullible investors, she cries because Robyn is crying because Meri won't be at her beck and call.  Yeesh, what crap.  And they're having another party?  Why?  For the idiot man who is now claiming that he wants to be the "real head of the family?"  Wasn't it his idea to "flee" to Nevada?  I really don't get it.  I seem to recall him saying way back when the joolry bidness was started that it wasn't his business that it was all on the women.  He very happily posed with them in the photos all the while declaiming that he didn't know why he was in the pictures (but never stepped out of the photos).  Two faced idiot.  

I'd missed the new episodes until tonight and caught last weeks episode and now I'm sorry I actually tuned in.

• Love 1

So the investors will be taking the nearly worthless business soon?  They had some good reason to waste 1/4 to 1/2 a million dollars?  The show hasn't aired here, but I may lose my dinner watching it. 

• Love 1

Maddie mentioning they need the money so the older kids can go to college was telling. It seems like the teens have been told this and then encouraged (or perhaps it was an organic comment ) to repeat this as to encourage sympathy from the viewers.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think perhaps the website we see now IS the result of the extra cash

It has got the be the "improved" version.

Only in the Twilight Zone are investors dropping a quarter mil for someone to have a baby.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 2
(edited)

Only the Browns could pack that much crap into 22 minutes.  Strange that Meri's kindergarten friend contacts her after 37 years - guess she just wanted to be on TV. The friend mentioned that Meri belonging to a polyg doesn't stop them from being friends (to paraphrase). But lady, you haven't seen each other in 37 years - hardly friends.

I laughed at Meri saying the house in Utah has 3 apartments, and Kody doesn't like that it looks like a polyg house. In most places it would just be considered a triplex - lol.

I call B.S. on the investors giving the Browns 1/4 - 1/2 million for 5 percent of their business (which, based on their best year of $181,000 is barely worth  $9,000.)  Their whole business isn't worth 1/4 - 1/2 million, so the investors have no way of getting their money back if (when) they crash and burn.

Just. Don't. Believe. This. Storyline. Didn't someone print a tweet on a previous epi where Kody says they don't get the money? I would think the investors would still need to do 'due dilegence' - they would not just go on Janelle's pie charts and pie-in-the-sky numbers. So maybe in the end they don't get the money.

If the investors did invest, I hope they just watched this epi where Maddie says they need the money for college, and Robyn is so burnt out from the 500 orders in two years that she wants to take it easy. Really - you just can't make this stuff up. Or fix stupid.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 10

I noticed Christine saying they moved to Vegas when they found out they were "being investigated" and she didn't understand "why someone would want to tell on us." I think it was their finances being investigated rather then their lifestyle. Utah has nearly zero history of going after polygs. The Short Creek Raid which happened in '53 was in Arizona. I don't remember any recent events involving polygs other than those caused by Warren Jeffs (which could no longer be ignored) and that came about only because Texas, not Utah, decided to act. Any tips about fraud had to relate to Utah state funding because federal fraud could/would be pursued no matter where they live.  

• Love 4

Thoughts on tonight's hideously boring show:

• The newly-filmed opening sequence: "We have GLITZ! We live in VEGAS!" But they can't say something fresh. I guess it was writer's block.
• Janelle: “My weight loss has been stalled for months and months and months.” If she is truly getting good, regular workouts, a stalled weight loss = EATING TOO MUCH.
• It was sweet to see Logan hanging out with his mom and encouraging her at the climbing wall.
• Tonight's big buildup about getting the $$ from the VCs: “If the answer is ‘no,’ we’re back at the drawing board.” WHY? Have you run the closet business that far into the ditch on your own devices?
• Robyn interrupts Kody about Christine’s pitch faux pas, and he bites Robyn's head off: priceless. LOVE.
• They believe the lack of MSWC “sells” is due to a lack of variety. Yes, that. AND THE STUFF YOU OFFER IS BUTT-UGLY.
• Well, those Browns sure are into recycling—especially trumped-up drama, like the move to Las Vegas.
• Another party. Oh boy. I’m so excited I can hardly…Zzzzzz.  This family is like an old Mickey Rooney / Judy Garland flicks: “Hey gang, let’s stage a musical in the old barn!” They are so weirdly into PAGEANTRY. Can’t they just have a nice dinner??
• Janelle blurts out “Oh my hell!” Girl, please. If you’re going to swear, make it worth your while! I’d pay $100 to see Janelle blow her top and drop an F-bomb.
• Now I understand everything—Kody didn’t want to move to Vegas at all! It was just a big sales pitch! Yeaaahhh. (F.U. internets much?)

• Love 6
(edited)

At first I thought Janelle said "my hell" but maybe the kid she was talking to, his name sounds like that?

*edited to say, I did see one of her kid's name is Gabriel, maybe she was saying that?

Edited by Armchair Critic

I was on the mswc site maybe a year ago and maybe a month ago.  A year ago they had apron and tshirts of limitless variety really badly set up with one or two sayings from the show, something about a toaster and a shark.  A month ago there was only a page of tacky jewelry and watches.  The last 2 weeks I couldn't get on.   Naturally.  Boy, I'd like some sucker investors like those.  Come on now.

I am so tired of the TLC party theme.  The Gosselin 2 episode deal, the continuous Brown parties, blah blah blah.  I'd rather go to chucky cheese than watch another party episode, and I've only poked my head in one Chucky Cheese and hit the road in disgust.  Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy, but give me dinner and a movie or something for god's sake.

• Love 3

I'm so tired of these people acting like they couldn't be a "real" family until they were living in the mansions. The rental houses were all a few blocks from each other, except I think one of them was maybe a mile away. All EASY walking distance - although I don't believe for a second that they all gather together in the middle of the cul-de-sac or whatever all the time now that they are closer. Plus, the rental houses were all extremely nice homes. The Browns acted like they were having to live in tiny one bedroom apartments in the projects or something. I would kill for one of those rental homes. But, you know, I actually live within my means unlike the Browns. 

• Love 3

At first I thought Janelle said "my hell" but maybe the kid she was talking to, his name sounds like that?

*edited to say, I did see one of her kid's name is Gabriel, maybe she was saying that?

Maybe. But the Utah state emblem is the beehive, the state insect is the honeybee, the state bird is the California gull, and the state profanity is "My hell" (or, "Oh, my hell.")

• Love 1

Only in the Twilight Zone are investors dropping a quarter mil for someone to have a baby.

I saw an episode of "Shark Tank" once, and Mark Cuban told a woman that he wasn't interest in investing in her company because she had small children and worked out of the home and it felt more like a hobby and not a real business. He needed someone to eat, sleep, and dream the business 24/7, and dedicating time to her kids precluded this, etc... I remember being livid at his comments for what I thought was such overt sexism. So.....tonight, Robyn says in her sobbing, quiet voice, that she's tired, and needs the money so she can "have a life" and "have a baby!, and all I can think of is -- excuse me? What are the investors thinking hearing this? Wouldn't you want your capital investment to be used to infuse excitement, vigor and new ideas into the business? Instead it sounds like they're using the money to relax more, take vacations, pay their bills, and have more babies!! Not a single one of them talked about the business, except for testing out their "theory" that their low sells was due to a lack of variety.

Is my immense hatred of Robyn and this co. of grifters making me see this differently than that episode of Shark Tank? Maybe it was the way she put it....

• Love 5

I can't believe anyone gave these assholes any money. I hope they lose the business although what's one more bankruptcy to the Brown clan? Maybe that *is* their financial aid plan for the kids. I wonder how many really smart, potentially life-improving ideas are scrapped every day because the inventor/originators can't get funding. How many interesting movies and shows don't get made because they can't get the funds together? And these morons seriously expected a 2.5 million handout to sell their "fashion forward" shit. 

I like Janelle and her weight loss story has been interesting but I think she needs some medical advice if she's been stalled so long. She could be insulin-resistant, she's got that apple-shaped body that seems to be indicative of it. I have a friend who works out harder than anyone I know and eats a clean, non-processed diet. She's seeing an endocrinologist and it's helping because she was stuck for over a year at the same weight. Janelle could be in the same boat.  I did like Logan rock climbing with her though. It's ice to see them spend time together on a non-Kody-centric activity. 

• Love 1

Of course it's Logan supporting and encouraging Janelle during the rock climb and not her asshat of a husband.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Logan was there, but could Kody be more useless?

• Love 6
(edited)

I watched that scene of Kodouche snapping at Robin, like, 20 times. I could watch that shit all day.

I am stupefied that these "investors" gave them any money. Please tell me this is for the cameras.

What was very telling to me is they asked for 2.5 million, but were supposedly offered 250K. They sit around discussing if they will take the offer. They were all leaning forward, practically licking their lips. Of course they are going to take it!

Edited by SuzWhat
  • Love 3

Well, now we know why the economy in Las Vegas is in the dumpster - investors willing to sink a quarter mill in this "business" that has no sales and is run out of a spare room off of Sobbin's kitchen.  And since this was filmed months ago and we all know that the amateur website with the overpriced ugly trinkets and unsecured ordering page hasn't improved, that money has obviously been spent elsewhere.  So time for the Browns to fold up the tents and head to their next venue to "escape persecution for their lifestyle". And good riddance to them all.

I couldn't get through more than 6 minutes of the second episode. I was physically ill hearing all of the idiotic blather about Our Lord and Savior and his BS scheme to force them to move and how it all turned out SO WELL.  Yeah, you all got free houses that you will never have to pay off so you could live in luxury until you declare bankruptcy (again) and get evicted.  Since that takes some time, you can hang out "together" or as together as you can be living in four separate palaces.  

Frankly, I don't believe for a hot second any of those people were investors.  I think they were shills for TLC trying to string this along for another season.  Epic fail for me;  I'm done with this mess. I will not waste another brain cell watching these grifters and the lame TLC scripts. I'll just get my info from the forums.

• Love 2
(edited)

I like Janelle and her weight loss story has been interesting but I think she needs some medical advice if she's been stalled so long. She could be insulin-resistant, she's got that apple-shaped body that seems to be indicative of it. I have a friend who works out harder than anyone I know and eats a clean, non-processed diet. She's seeing an endocrinologist and it's helping because she was stuck for over a year at the same weight. Janelle could be in the same boat.  I did like Logan rock climbing with her though. It's ice to see them spend time together on a non-Kody-centric activity.

ITA and I was just going to say the same thing.  Having struggled with this issue myself I know it can be a bitch to get off the insulin resistance plateau even with diet and exercise.  I would hope that Janelle's trainer at least would be encouraging her to follow a low/slow carb high protein diet.  I have only lost a few pounds myself since starting to eat this way.  Unfortunately the old diet wisdom we were told to follow was actually causing insulin resistance in a lot of people.  We were told to eat more carbs and less fats, and not to be too concerned with sugar.  That's why people were dieting and actually gaining weight or losing then gaining it all back.  As ridiculous as this show is I still like Janelle and care about her issues.  I'm rooting for her!

And yeah, I call BS too on the investors giving them any money.  Last week I said they were shills for TLC and I still believe that.  They're really scraping the barrel to find "plots" to keep this show on the air.  I can sort of sense that by the way they're all acting.  There's really nothing of any consequence going on after so many years of the TLC gravy train pouring in.  They are full of crap about being invested in that pitiful excuse for a jewelry business.  I'll bet that when the real estate angle didn't work out for them, they had to scramble to find something to call a family business so Sobbin stepped up to supply that with the jewelry.  They probably had promised TLC that they would have a family business that could be used as fodder for plots on the show.

I am sure that they are waiting until later in the season to create a "cliff hanger" about Sobbin and her pregnancy.  YAWN.

That said, if forced to choose, I'd still watch them over the smarmy/creepy Williams family any day.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 2

I had to laugh at them giving themselves huge titles - CFO, Marketing Director and did I hear Operations Manager? I've met people like that (in night school Accounting 101 class). Then I'd learn it was their dad's two-man painting company or mom's petsitting business. Really? Can't you just say you are a salesman or office worker?

• Love 2

I always love seeing Logan in an episode, and it was awesome that he was there to support his mom climb the rock wall. She has raised some really good kids. How many college kids are going to take the morning off to come hang out with their mom? And I don't believe it's because he was being filmed either, he's just not like that. 

I feel badly for Jenelle. You can tell she is so frustrated. I'm not sure what to make of the stagnation she was scene with her weight loss. I'm guessing it's diet-related, if she really is being active that often. And that is important. At any weight, it's good for people to be active. I do think she looks better than Meri, though. It's probably a matter of how they dress. Meri still dresses like she has the same body she did 5 years ago. She's constantly stuffing herself into super tight pants and then wearing too many layers on top, which just adds bulk. I think Jenelle knows how to dress more appropriately for her size. 

Okay, I am probably being super cynical here, but I thought the entire thing with Sue Ellen was really weird. Who contacts someone they were friends with in Kindergarten, but haven't talked to since then? I mean, Kindergarten? That's not really enough time to form some huge bond that you want to re-establish. If it was all of elementary school, sure. But it just seemed shady to me, like someone wanted to be on tv. 

I was pretty disappointed that they got ANY money from the investors. And I just can't with Kody and his "we're testing a theory" BS. You want $2.5 mil to test a theory???? You should have something a lot more solid than that. And I can tell you, your theory is completely off base. Your site does not need to be saturated with MORE product. You need to make better quality products, and your website needs to function properly and look professional, and you can't be making people wait a month to get the piece of junk that they ordered. And that's just a start! I can totally see them losing their business in the end. They have no idea what they're doing. 

I really hated Kody giving Christine a hard time about what she said in the original meeting. I totally understood what she meant and saw nothing wrong with it. I guess it was interpreted the wrong way, but I thought she did a much better job on the whole than....say....Robyn and her quivering tears....or Kody and his bombastic pitch, with wearwolf hair flying in the wind. 

Good on Maddie for scoring a scholarship! I continue to love Jenelle's kids. 

Ugh, the Vegas party was so lame. As if life is not about Kody enough, now we're going to kiss his ass on a grand scale and throw this big party to celebrate him uprooting everyone and throwing them into a lifetime of debt. Don't get me wrong, I heard Madison and I get that maybe in the long run living outside of the Mormon community was good for the kids. They didn't have that plyg stigma attached to them anymore and felt more free to do things they couldn't back in UT. But that's not WHY Kody moved the family. He wasn't trying to give the kids a fresh start. He did it because he wanted to be a dramatic attention-whore and garner sympathy for their plight - "we had to flee in the middle of the night!" Waaaah. It wasn't even as bad as all that anyhow, but the main reason I can't feel badly for them is because they ASKED for this. By going on tv. Look, while polygamy may not be for me, I don't think the government has any business telling consenting adults how to form their relationships. So go for it, have 4 wives. It SHOULD be legal. But the thing is, you knew it wasn't and yet you went on national tv and flaunted it. And I get that maybe some of them really DID do it to show the country that not all of them are like Warren Jeffs. I respect that. But you still have to be aware of the possible consequences of your actions and not act all persecuted when something you very well knew could happen did. 

Okay, wow. Never new a stupid backyard party could send me into such a rant. Thanks, Kodouche. 

• Love 6
If the investors did invest, I hope they just watched this epi where Maddie says they need the money for college

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Maddie was saying they were actually going to use the investor money for college. I thought she was saying that if her parents had that money and didn't have to put so much of THEIRS (that comes from where, I don't know) into the business, they could save more for the college fund. 

I noticed Christine saying they moved to Vegas when they found out they were "being investigated" and she didn't understand "why someone would want to tell on us." I think it was their finances being investigated rather then their lifestyle. Utah has nearly zero history of going after polygs. The Short Creek Raid which happened in '53 was in Arizona. I don't remember any recent events involving polygs other than those caused by Warren Jeffs (which could no longer be ignored) and that came about only because Texas, not Utah, decided to act. Any tips about fraud had to relate to Utah state funding because federal fraud could/would be pursued no matter where they live.  

I have always believed this. The government made multiple, very public statements directly in relation to the Browns when the show first started and people wondered if "coming out" would get them in legal trouble. They said over and over that they do not pursue prosecution of polygamist families unless there is financial misconduct or sexual/physical abuse especially with children. I firmly believe that either the entire "flight for freedom" storyline was fabricated or their finances were being investigated. I tend to think the latter. 

• Love 3

I firmly believe that either the entire "flight for freedom" storyline was fabricated or their finances were being investigated. I tend to think the latter.

The investigation into the Browns was opened because they went on the show. From what I read, it was solely about possible fraud. The investigation was also closed before the flight to Vegas was filmed.

• Love 1

The investigation into the Browns was opened because they went on the show. From what I read, it was solely about possible fraud. The investigation was also closed before the flight to Vegas was filmed.

But they were never at any risk for being prosecuted for being a polygamist or having their family torn apart (which was wailed about 50 times a show back then). Given the rampant fraud in these families it would have been irresponsible for the powers that be not to at least check it out since the Browns decided to go on national television. They claimed to be running because of the polygamy but I think if they were worried at all they were worried about the fraud investigation. I used to think the wives were genuinely afraid of a polygamy prosecution because they'd been convinced by Kody but now I think that they all knew there could be a problem with a fraud investigation and it played better to be running for marital freedom. 

• Love 1

I think Maddie's comments about funding college were in reference to profits made by the family business.  If the business is successful, that money could go toward college for all the kids.  She wasn't talking about the investor money going straight to college funds (personally I think the investor money is going straight to mortgages and Disney Land).

• Love 4