Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: The Big Decision

• Start Topic

(edited)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Maddie was saying they were actually going to use the investor money for college. I thought she was saying that if her parents had that money and didn't have to put so much of THEIRS (that comes from where, I don't know) into the business, they could save more for the college fund.

I was being facetious, but what Maddie actually said was "If we had more money coming in from my SWC it would mean money coming back to us and therefore paying for college". Now in a normal family that would mean if the business becomes more successful the family would have more money. But Maddie has been raised by grifters, so it could very well mean to her that the investor money will flow through SWC to her college fund. It certainly means to Robyn that she can take it easy.

One would think that the investors (though they have already shown themselves to be not that bright by being investors in the first place) would make sure the money is being invested properly, and not being funneled down the line into the Browns' personal coffers.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1

I'm still confused about the target market for their fugly jewelry. They keep saying it's women 18-55, but that is such a broad range, how do you target them all? Also, when it comes to jewelry, the market breaks in several categories: cheap, which is targeted heavily to the teen market (e.g Claire's); costume or fashion, which covers a wide demographic and is sold through multiple outlets, ranging from department stores, specialty stores and online; and fine jewelrly, which has low end and high end within just that category. If you look at a jewelry company, it's pretty clear who they market to, based on price and on advertising. I have no idea what  that sub market they are targeting to is. Do they consider themselves mid range? So who is supposed to be buying their jewelry? Do they actually think that women buy friendship and "strong women" jewelry for themselves or for other women? I am in the 18-55 demographic and I don't buy jewelry for other women and I certainly wouldn't buy friendship jewelry for myself! Frankly, I am shocked that the "investors" didn't point out to them that it would be virtually impossible to market effectively to that wide of a target group. 

The whole thing is freaking BS, from the bogus website, to the fake marketing plan, to the fake investors. But Robin can now have a baby because they have $250K to spend. 

• Love 1

NOTE FROM THE MOD:  Guys, let's keep discussion of the two episodes from last night in separate threads since they were two separate episodes, ok?  Some people may have watched one but not the other.  If you've already posted a comment about both in this thread I'll let it stand.  It's my fault.  I didn't realize there were two eps last night so only put up the one thread.  We now have another one.

Thanks.

It certainly means to Robyn that she can take it easy..

I found that especially galling (though not surprising): her big response to a large infusion of unearned support for this supposed dream of hers is, Oh, goody. I can kick back and make a baby. What serious entrepreneur in start-up mode thinks like that?

Stop laughing...

;)

• Love 4

Related to that is one of my few issues with the forums.  It's difficult for me to keep track of where I am unless I only open one thread at a time.  I'm sure I've been guilty of posting in the wrong thread because I thought I was somewhere else.  Maybe if the header stayed more visible as we scroll down it would help people like me remember where we are. 

With the Browns, I'm going to join the camp that they weren't real investors who allowed themselves to go on TV and be made to look so foolish as to consider investing in a failing hobby business.  It sounded to me like Robyn wanted to use the money to hire employees so she wouldn't be so busy.  With such a limited business that sounds like a quick way to kill it.

• Love 2

@Absolom --I'll pass that suggestion on to our amazing programmer, Dave.  Thanks.

since she is so tired after selling 500 trinkets over the past two years.

Oh, you mean you're TIRED from raising four kids and having a job?  Oh, poor baby.  How much you must suffer.  Really, I'm sure there's not another person in the world who could relate to your totally unique problem. *EYEROLL*

(edited)

Oh, you mean you're TIRED from raising four kids and having a job?

Robyn is well named because she definitely has a bird brain (sorry to any birds I may have insulted by comparing them to Robyn.) 

Yep, her solution to being tired from raising four kids and having a job (have we ever seen her actually working at said job) is to ditch the job and add another kid to her brood. Because that won't take up any time over the next 18 or so years. Sheesh.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 8

Mailing out trinkets is not a job. Getting up every morning before dawn and getting your kids to school and then racing off to work your behind off for nine or ten hours and then going home and getting a meal on the table and trying to say hello to your family and do some housework and try to get six hours of sleep and then doing it all over again...THAT'S work.

Lazy to the bone, all of them. I've about decided that the producers are just letting these bozos do whatever stupid idea they come up with because their fifteen minutes are just about up and at this point, they're enjoying watching them circle the drain even more than we are.

I also call BS on any investor buying the entire business for $200k, let alone only 8%. Lies. Unless they managed to find some rich fool without working knowledge of a calculator who was off his meds for some reason...

• Love 10

Robyn Logic: "we need the money for the business so we can roll out new stuff and get more business which means more work but we need the money so I'll have less work so I can have a baby which will mean more work for me"

Huh?

• Love 2

The window of opportunity to make $$$ with their business is mainly the period of time they will be on TLC. Right now there is a curiosity factor..that won't be there in the future when the show is eventually cancelled.  No matter what product they have or develop, I'm surprised they got the investors to say yes just because of that factor alone.

• Love 1
Robyn Logic: "we need the money for the business so we can roll out new stuff and get more business which means more work but we need the money so I'll have less work so I can have a baby which will mean more work for me"

Huh?

I wondered if Robyn wasn't secretly hoping they could hire her an assistant with the VC money. 

Oh, did she actually say that? I must have missed it or something. She has a lot of nerve. None of them with a legit job outside the home (that we KNOW of) and she really needs a freaking assistant? Her older kids are in school all day. One kid at home can't be that much to handle. I homeschool and I have 3 kids ages 6 and under home with me all day. And I still manage to work from home about 4 hours every day. 

I get the impression that they all are pretty miffed that they have to "work" at all to support their family.  Their ideal, partly driven by religion I guess, is that their entire lives and selves should be focused on family and doing stuff for and with them every minute of the day.  This does not allow for time for selfish things like "making a living."

Which, I'm fine if you want to and are fulfilled by spending your time on your home and your family alone.  I know lots of stay-at-home moms and dads who do this.  But the problem is the Browns seem to think that society should finance this desire of theirs because it's their "conviction," like they are owed something that no one else is (because they're not living plural marriage).  It's just frustrating for all of us who have the same drive to spend time with our families but can't always do as much as we want because we have to earn a living.  I just want to yell at them, "It's the real world, guys!  Join the rest of us, won't you?"

• Love 4
(edited)

So Robin's comment something to the effect of, if this cash infusion doesn't work, 'our financial situation will be dire' or whatever the hell it was she said - I just want to scream.  Sweetie, your financial situation is dire because you live beyond your means and your baby daddy doesn't work and there is no real income other than the show and not one of the adults in this mess (including Janelle who for some reason people think is a financial genius because she held down a job and used her retirement savings in a meaningless, pointless way) is able to come to grips with the fact that they need a JOB, not a hobby, and you bought 4 ugly too-big stoopid houses, and you have to have new cars instead of the beaters that the wives (not Kody) used to drive, and you have saved not one red cent of all that TLC money, it is GONE and there is nothing left but the tears under Meri's wet bar to show for it.

I sincerely hope that the Kody Brown Family financial plan (it is spelled B-A-N-K-R-U-P-T-C-Y) has changed enough since the last one this grifter family filed that they will be in for a rude awakening.  Isn't it 10 years now instead of 7?  That alone should cause them some sense of panic.  Gah, I can't stand the adults - I feel so bad for the kids.  Especially the younger ones.

edited because the Browns are grifters, not grafters.  Grafters are tools used by gardeners (people who work), therefore the Browns would not recognize this word.

Edited by Xena
  • Love 12

I really hope those venture capitalist were actors or TLC shills or otherwise, brotha, you just lost a quarter of a million dollars. 

Wonder how long before Kody is shown driving a new or newer car or maybe even a motorcycle? Nice to see them throw yet another some irrelevant nonsensical party. 

It was nice to briefly see Truly looking healthy and happy!

Not a Robyn fan but at this point I really do think she is the only one of the wives who is 100% about that polyg life. It is her motives that make her suspect to me. Frankly, for a bad as a financial situation as Brown family is in, I bet it is tenfold a better position than she ever would have been in if she hadn't joined the family. She doesn't have to work a 9-5, she lives in a McMansion, someone pays her bills, she is the prized pig in the poke and has an army of babysitters/servants to do her bidding.  

I did like that Robyn tried to defend Christine and help not to make her feel so bad about her stupid ass statement at the presentation before she was completely shut down by Kody. That scene went to further illustrate how asinine Kody's statement was last week that he has no power or say in the family. Kody quelled Robyn immediately. 

I always get a chuckle at their money woes, especially with regards to paying for colleges and then catch sight of one or all of the sister wives with a fresh acrylic nail french manicure. Never change Browns. It is a small thing but it does add up and just another small indicator of where their priorities lie.

The flashback of Kody from S1 was a bit of a revelation. Hard to believe that his hair used to be even worse than it is now. 

I really hope those venture capitalist were actors or TLC shills or otherwise, brotha, you just lost a quarter of a million dollars.

If they real, they deserve to lose it.  But I cannot for a minute believe anybody that stupid is in business.  It had to be a set up by TLC.

• Love 3

Totally. She was looking for her 15 minutes. How gorgeous was the view down Meri's old street? I wouldn't mind driving by that view every day!

That's the thing I really like about Northern Utah. Most of the towns are located just below and along the benches of the Wasatch Range (the eastern edge of the Rockies). Mountain peaks everywhere you look!  The one bummer is that the Wasatch Fault runs along the benches, but *shrug*. My valley is surrounded by mountains on three sides and only the northern passage leading to the Idaho border is wide open. It's a beautiful drive when we go to La Tienda in Franklin ID (population 600) for lottery tickets and their real-beer walk-in cooler.

(edited)

Alas, I checked into this episode only twice. David Tennant on Masterpiece was much more entertaining. However, I managed to see Kody furrow his brow to look concerned about what his wives were saying, and the wives talking about how wrong they were to doubt Kody's wisdom to move to Las Vegas in the middle of the night. Then they all had a party to celebrate the King's awesomeness. 

The show seems to be out of plot lines. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 1

"What it means for me if they're gonna say yes, is, that maybe I can have a little bit of a life." "I wanna have a baby, so, I don't know."

So Robyn thinks investors should throw money her way so she can then turn around and have a baby. She didn't say, this money will help the business grow by helping us to x, y, z. Nope, it will help HER have a baby. If she thinks she can't have one now because of the business what the heck is going to change? Investor money does not = sales. And they  think just adding products is going to turn this in to gold, LOL!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm confused as to how getting the money would relieve Robyn (or any of them) of the duties of the business. Isn't the point of a business loan to expand a business or produce more product etc... all of which takes a lot of effort even with money. It's not like the money comes with a little elf to do all the work

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3

The investors probably looked at all the Duck Dynasty crap in the stores and decided to throw $250,000 to the Browns on a gamble. They should have invested the money into another reality family though.

Once Meri realizes that Robin only wants the business to be a success so that she can have a baby, Meri isn't going to help at all.

Well. I cruised the closet for awhile. Kody designed some pieces and a few are credited as team efforts by all of the wives but most of the items list Robyn as the designer. I saw a lot of "made in the US" but also some "made in China". The sterling silver items don't list the whattaya call it, the pedigree? The amount/percentage of silver? Others are described as "made of Pewter, bathed in Nickel and then plated in Rhodium." Some of the women's watch lines are named Powerful, Professional and Sassy and the men's watch line is named Modest. Oh, and Janelle's trainer's DVD is available. The BE items (Be this, Be that, yadda yadda) are also sold at five retail locations in LV, NLV and Henderson. Now I wish I'd been peeking in the closet all along so I'd know what has changed since they got the cash.

Now I wish I'd been peeking in the closet all along so I'd know what has changed since they got the cash.

The watches, the digital music/CD, and Sean the trainer's workout DVD are newer. However, it looks as though you can no longer purchase the Cafe Press apparel. So very, very sad. I was sure those aprons would be a huge hit.

• Love 1

I really don't understand how they can be busy enough to need to hire extra workers if they have only made 500 sales in two years. That is an average of less than 21 sales a month. I went to school full-time, worked two jobs and still sold random stuff, mostly books, on Ebay. I used to sell around 10 to 15 a month. Plus, I had to go to Goodwill and other places looking for niche stuff to sell. I don't understand how that would be so hard to do for five adults with no jobs and, what seems to be, unlimited free time.

I went to their website and actually put in an effort to analyze it, which must be the cause of my headache. Although I think the website looks better than it did last year, I don’t think that lack of product is their problem. The problem is that, after looking at every item they have for sale, I could not find one thing I would buy, even if it was on a store shelf. I am amazed by the crap they are selling. I cannot understand why everything is just so gaudy, and not in a cute crappy way.

I don’t think the website was made for a plot twist, TLC is not spending that type of money to set up a business and produce products for this or any other show. I believe the Browns really think that they are a brand that will sell. The problem is that it is hard to sell polygamy to the masses, which is what they have to do in order to sell anything from a site called My Sisterwives Closet. If this is business is supposed to be like raiding your friend’s closet, it should have been called My Best Friend’s Closet. That is what most people can relate to.

• Love 2

I'm about 1000% certain that Robyn heard the phrase "my sister wife's closet" at some point and thought, "Wow, what a great concept for a business."  In other words, instead of starting with an actually good sales concept or a great product line, she liked the sound of the name and then randomly decided products to sell in said business.  She began with marketing, not the other more important parts of a business.  Until you have something to market, you don't need marketing. 

• Love 3

NOTE FROM THE MOD:  Guys, let's keep discussion of the two episodes from last night in separate threads since they were two separate episodes, ok?  Some people may have watched one but not the other.  If you've already posted a comment about both in this thread I'll let it stand.  It's my fault.  I didn't realize there were two eps last night so only put up the one thread.  We now have another one.

I would sincerely like to do this, but if I don't it'll only be because I'm in that "over 55" age bracket and I can't remember which scenes were in which episode!

That said, to whoever said they're getting tired of seeing Meri stuffing herself into too-tight jeans, ITA.  The problem is also that they are not the right cut for her at her present weight.  She can still wear form fitting jeans, just not ones she has to paint on.  She should stick to darker colors, adopt a more forgiving, higher rise, and ditch the boot cut in favor of straight legs.  Her jeans are too fitted around the thighs and it's only exaggerating how big she is getting around the middle.  I think it's hard for some women to accept that they're getting older (and bigger) and need to revise the cut of their clothing.  I think she thinks she'll look thinner and younger if she continues to wear jeans like she wore when she was a lot thinner and in her 30s, but it's only having the opposite effect.

• Love 5

I wonder if the "business" name might be derived from this actual business, founded in 1991, with over 15 locations in AZ and CA:

http://www.mysisterscloset.com/

I'm sure they've been to Arizona at some point.  It's the state with the third highest LDS population, after Utah and Idaho, and there are plenty of polygamist towns as well.

In any case, My Sister's Closet is *designer* goods (which they are not) and *consignment* goods (which they are not).  I'd be pretty mad if I were an owner of My Sister's Closet and ended up having my business possibly tainted by association with these fools.

• Love 3

There's a reason all of the episodes blend together and we get confused--it's been essentially the same show over and over. It's tears + eye goo + Kody + $$$ + houses + Vegas + Kody + FAMBLY + FAKE DRAMA + JOOLRY + My DREAM + Kody + Random party + $$$ + Kody. Oh, and also Kody.

Blech.

• Love 10

There's a reason all of the episodes blend together and we get confused--it's been essentially the same show over and over. It's tears + eye goo + Kody + $$$ + houses + Vegas + Kody + FAMBLY + FAKE DRAMA + JOOLRY + My DREAM + Kody + Random party + $$$ + Kody. Oh, and also Kody.

Blech.

LOL, you're right, all that repetition certainly doesn't help!  The only thing you left out is Janelle's weight loss "journey", but that's just about the only thing I'm interested in anymore.  I feel for her!

It could just be because of editing or because Janelle was preoccupied with something, but I found it hilarious when she and Kody were in her driveway and she was about to head off to a workout and Kody mentioned something like, "We're probably going to hear a decision from the investors really soon", and Janelle looked like she couldn't care less! 

Count me as another viewer who was absolutely miffed by Robyn's "We need this investor money so I can have a baby" logic. 

• Love 3

I wonder if they ever go online and look at other jewelry websites to see their competition. I don't have a lot of experience buying jewelry but I did a quick google. This site came up. 

http://www.jamesavery.com/

No I have no idea how good this company is. I can only make a judgement on their prices, selection and website but thats the same as SWC. I can only judge based on those same criteria. If I was going to buy jewelry online between these two companies I'd choose this one over SWC hands down. I'm sure there are countless other jewelry websites with similar sterling silver charms, pendants, bracelets etc. all of which are significantly better for the same or less money. It just makes me wonder if they know this but assume people want their stuff because they are quasi-famous or if they really think their stuff is fantastic. 

According to former posters over at TWOP, there are actually women who regularly come up to the SW coven in public and volunteer, yes VOLUNTEER to be wife #5. In front of witnesses. While sober (allegedly).

This disturbs me on so many levels...not least because one can only assume they have driver's licenses and also vote.

Back to the main point, which is...if the SWs constantly see people who are stupid/delusional/famewhorish enough to do THAT, why wouldn't they think all of those same women and their slightly-less-certifiable equivalents wouldn't at least plunk down a hundred bucks to buy the ugly jewelry?

Here's the deal though -- the people that should be buying are not buying.  Rather than try to rework the marketing and products, the Browns are throwing money at the problem.  Its the only move they have and they are excellent fund raisers.  I wish they would have an epiphany and realize they should teach gifting as a career.

I wonder if they ever go online and look at other jewelry websites to see their competition. I don't have a lot of experience buying jewelry but I did a quick google. This site came up.

http://www.jamesavery.com/

No I have no idea how good this company is. I can only make a judgement on their prices, selection and website but thats the same as SWC. I can only judge based on those same criteria. If I was going to buy jewelry online between these two companies I'd choose this one over SWC hands down. I'm sure there are countless other jewelry websites with similar sterling silver charms, pendants, bracelets etc. all of which are significantly better for the same or less money. It just makes me wonder if they know this but assume people want their stuff because they are quasi-famous or if they really think their stuff is fantastic.

James Avery is based in Texas (where I'm from) and is considered very high quality, I actually looked as I write this and of the 7 pieces of jewelry I wear in a regular basis (3 rings, 2 pairs of earrings, a watch and a necklace) 5 are from there. It's known for being true silver, I kinda see it as a step down from Tiffany's, it's more everyday stuff. I haven't checked out the my sisterwives closet site but from what I understand from the people who have there is a huge gap as far as quality, but not so much in price.

• Love 3

James Avery is based in Texas (where I'm from) and is considered very high quality, I actually looked as I write this and of the 7 pieces of jewelry I wear in a regular basis (3 rings, 2 pairs of earrings, a watch and a necklace) 5 are from there. It's known for being true silver, I kinda see it as a step down from Tiffany's, it's more everyday stuff. I haven't checked out the my sisterwives closet site but from what I understand from the people who have there is a huge gap as far as quality, but not so much in price.

That is exactly how it comes across too. I liked so many things I saw. The quality comes across as excellent. The website was very professional. And yet the Sister Wives crap is in many cases MORE expensive than James Avery. Because the SWC stuff is at the same price point (for the supposedly silver stuff) they are in competition with James Avery. Well they lost Big Time... in fact the SWC may have managed to convince me to buy some internet jewelry... unfortunately for them I think it's going to be from James Avery :-)

• Love 2

Inspired by the previous investigations, I did my own search for online silver jewelry to which MSWC should be comparable. Here's one:

http://www.bluenile.com/silver-jewelry/silver-necklaces

The immediately visible differences: 1. The look of the site itself is elegant and simple. 2. The photos of the jewelry appear delicate, almost ethereal; this emphasizes the beauty of the silver--the MSCW stuff looks clunky and cheap. 3. There is a huge variety of pieces, and there isn't a single long-winded explanation to be found. Here's another:

http://jewelry.novica.com/necklaces/pendant/sterling-silver/

A large variety of pendants, some very pretty and unique. Here they've actually photographed the items--professionally, thanks. Prices are MUCH more reasonable, over all, than MSWC.

Yep, I think they are utterly counting on their TLC "fame" to make this venture work. They're so screwed.

• Love 3

That's the thing I really like about Northern Utah. Most of the towns are located just below and along the benches of the Wasatch Range (the eastern edge of the Rockies). Mountain peaks everywhere you look! The one bummer is that the Wasatch Fault runs along the benches, but *shrug*. My valley is surrounded by mountains on three sides and only the northern passage leading to the Idaho border is wide open. It's a beautiful drive when we go to La Tienda in Franklin ID (population 600) for lottery tickets and their real-beer walk-in cooler.

suomi-

pretty sure we live in the same place! thank the good lord for la tienda and their real beer.

on topic-agreed, "oh my hell" is SUCH a Utah swear word. my friends who aren't from Utah always give me a side-eye when i say it. i can't help it-i'm a product of my environment. :)

• Love 1

I don't think it was secret. She outright said they needed to hire someone or no baby.

Wow, that sounds like a boring monogamous marriage problem and not a happy, interesting polygimist family problem. What happened to bonus children and best friend sister wives? Hmmmmmm. 

• Love 8