Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Pure Imagination

• Start Topic

Thoughts:

The body language between Django and Anna during her critique in the workroom was so telling—there is no love lost between the two of them.

Django’s dress was Chanel meets The Colour Purple. I loved the hat, but the rest, meh  

What the (insert bad word here) was Alyssa wearing?

• Love 8

Django hated Anne. I’m going to miss his weekly snarky comments about her. He did deserve to go home for that bee keeper outfit though. 

I felt sorry for Michelle’s model having to wear the carpet padding, it looked so heavy and itchy. I wonder if the winning write on me coat will be in the children’s department at Penney’s. 

I liked Dmitri’s and Cynthia’s designs but they were only safe. Allysa’s one boobie showing dress was weird looking and not flattering for her figure. 

• Love 5

The only designs I really liked tonight were by the three designers who were safe. I'd have given the win to Biddell or Dmitry. I did like the boombox outfit, but the rest, ugh. 

Also, I know we're in the lame-duck stage of the Lifetime era and none of this matters, but still: the judges almost gave the win to a carpet pad. A carpet pad!

• Love 19

This was filmed like 2 summers ago... ( I think? So over a year and a half) that’s why the jc penny thing doesn’t actually happen... they just didn’t edit it out. 

The judges made NO sense this week. I did like the dry erase coat but their fawning over the carpet pad was stupid. They gave Irina crap for her simple dress under the amazing wings yet thought the simple dress of carpet was amazing??? 

I also apparently have no understanding of what avant-garde is because they call one boring thing amazing avant-garde and then something else insane and dramatic costume-y but not avant-garde... 

Lame judging this week. The bee keeper thing wasn’t amazing but I definitely would have said it fit for an avant-garde challenge... dramatic, embellished and quirky hat? Come on!!

• Love 12

This challenge was a "Fail" from the get-go, because there is zero connection between "Willie Wonka" and "avant garde," and there is zero connection between "utilitarian invention" and "avant garde."

I was disappointed in Dmitri's repeat of sheer panels and Sean's repeat of fringe. Where was the novelty,  the invention?

Michelle's sheath under-dress gets lauded while Irina's gets panned? And which material would you rather wrap yourself in,  anyway? Not a carpet!

Ozzie isn't called out for adding bulk to the hip area? And WTH needs to walk around blasting their music? Put your damn earbuds in and listen to your phone, TYVM!

I knew AR would win,  and was rooting for him. His coat was playful....in the spirit of "Willie Wonka"! But he nonetheless should have had his model take out a marker and write "Hi!" or something on a sleeve!

And we all knew Django's time was up tonight, right? You know an outfit is a loser if you remember just the hat!

• Love 9

Having seen the runway now, it seemed like most of the designers skirted both the avant-garde and the invention aspects of their assigment.  Just going by the top three, Christina was robbed.  It's inexplicable to me that the judges liked Michelle's, yet had criticisms for Irina's.  They really liked the carpet padding that much?  Yikes.  That may say all that needs to be said about those judges.  Me, I don't even know what to say about Sean's design and the styling.  The judges didn't have a problem with that?

• Love 19

First, yay Christian Borle! Second, I like Anna Camp, but as a judge she was really bad.

What apart from the material and the story what was so great about the design of Michelle's dress? That giant pancake wasn't very functional - as it is you get more privacy with a hoodie or a blanket. Look at Moschino's SS2019 runway and you will know why I wasn't as blown away by AR either because he could have taken the actual garment so much further than a plastic trench coat and a sharpie. Christina's was alright - I am not sure you'd be the most popular person on the subway with one of those on. Dimitry and his friggin cut outs, stop it already!

What I really did like was Bidell's idea for his design. It also took me back to the year 2055 challege from the first PR season.

I'm sorry Django left because I will always have a soft spot for designers who stand up for green fabric (my favourite colour!) and I wonder whether he could have done better with a different mentor - someone who actually gave some proper advice and pushed him in the right direction (like PRNZ's Andreas Mikellis). The hat he made was good.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 4

I understand they only have one day for the challenge, which is sad. Had Michelle covered her carpet padding in a beautiful fabric it would have been a winner.  A sensory deprivation cocoon to wrap yourself in during tough moments that is also a beautiful garment may be clever and interesting. But a padded outfit made of carpet padding is just literal and ugly and itchy. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Now where did I write down my shopping list?   Oh that's right.   I wrote it on my back.

My favorite line of the night was Dimitry talking about another designer's creation.  "But looking at it intellectually, like, what the fuck?"

Though I have no problem with him, I thought the same thing about the shopping list.

I know I shouldn't like when the designers are bitchy and get on another contestants design but for some reason when Dimitry does it just tickles me and makes me laugh.  

• Love 8

Ugh, Michelle.  She is so annoying, but I know she will make it to the very end just to keep the Dmitry frenemy drama going.  

I know this show is almost 2 years old, but Irina's pterodactyl dress looks familiar or similar to something I've seen already.  Giant wing span outfits have definitely been done.  Although part of me really wishes the JCP "reward" was still in play.  If that dress had won, I'd love to see how they interpreted that particular look.

Anthony Ryan's was cute and looked good, but I don't know about 'avant garde'...definitely fit the whimsy of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (attempted but not really...more like free advertisement product placement for our producers who have money invested in the play) tie in  better than anything else.

I'm happy for Django that he was put out of his misery and sent home.  Ain't no way he was winning this thing anyway.  I will miss his exchanges with the always dour and life sucking miasma that is Anna.  His dislike for her was palpable...even 18 months after filming, I could feel the hate radiating from him.  As for his outfit...huh??  The silly 'stories' about what their 'girl' is doing/where she's going are typically nonsensical, but this one?  "Working in the fields"? Whaaa?  "White sheer panel bell bottoms are all the rage in the Salinas right now!  Watching the way the migrant workers float effortlessly through the rows of kale and romaine is breathtaking!"

Oh, Alyssa....I'm just sad again.  It appears that you made up with your emotionally and psychologically abusive stylist.  You deserve better! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, novhappy said:

I understand they only have one day for the challenge, which is sad.

It always kills me when Georgina says she wishes so-and-so designer had been able to "resolve" such-and-such in their design before the runway.  Lady, I'd like to see you conceive and execute a design, by yourself in less than twenty-four hours, day after day for the duration of the shoot, and see how much you'd have "resolved."

If nothing else, I hope Bravo gives them more time to work, like in the old days.

• Love 23
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

This challenge was a "Fail" from the get-go, because there is zero connection between "Willie Wonka" and "avant garde," and there is zero connection between "utilitarian invention" and "avant garde."

I was disappointed in Dmitri's repeat of sheer panels and Sean's repeat of fringe. Where was the novelty,  the invention?

Michelle's sheath under-dress gets lauded while Irina's gets panned? And which material would you rather wrap yourself in,  anyway? Not a carpet!

Ozzie isn't called out for adding bulk to the hip area? And WTH needs to walk around blasting their music? Put your damn earbuds in and listen to your phone, TYVM!

I knew AR would win,  and was rooting for him. His coat was playful....in the spirit of "Willie Wonka"! But he nonetheless should have had his model take out a marker and write "Hi!" or something on a sleeve!

And we all knew Django's time was up tonight, right? You know an outfit is a loser if you remember just the hat!

Dmitri's was Dmitri's fall back idea of cutouts and sheer panels linking everything together. How many times have we seen it? Even Michelle did it1

The boombox dress was so ridiculous. Its hardly innovative to come up with the idea of walking around with your music. The Sony Walkman debuted in 1979, the boom box as we know it arrived on the scene in the mid 70's, and was wildly popular in the 80's. Hell, even the transistor radio, beloved by teens in the 50's and 60's fits the bill. I was utterly baffled by the fawning and oohing an ah-ing over it. I''m not a big Nina fan, but she would have put a stop to  that nonsense with a quickness--"WHAT girl wants all that extra padding on her hips?" 

I knew Anthony Ryan would win because it seems he could send his model down the runway in a trash bag and he'd win.  I can't stand him and I don't think he's funny either. His outfit looked like a kid's raincoat. Whimsical, maybe. Avant garde? There must be some definition of avant garde of which I was previously unaware.

They are picking off the international designers one by one. AR or Michelle will win. Yawn.

Catherine's beautiful, architectural clothes are overlooked week after week in favor of carpet padding and one more tube dress. Yawn.

• Love 11

Maybe  it is the conspiracy nut in me but seeing what looked like earpieces in at least two of the people in stage reinforced my conviction that these people are simply mouthpieces for the powers that be that are shaping the outcome of this “competition”.

Anthony Ryan’s plastic monstrosity was the definition of looking cheap. Michelle’s went further to the garbage realm (who hasn’t seen that stuff tossed in a dumpster...) and in no way provided sensory deprivation.

had any of the internationals or those not in favour with the judges sent those things down the runway we would have heard refrains of “kindergarten project” and cheap and lacks innovation. Issac really does seem happy to sell out to keep his profile up and well Georgina certainly has no problem with that as well.

Edited by staphdude
  • Love 9

Biddell's should have won.  They seem determined to never give him critiques...seems like he is always just safe.  And I'll always root for Dmitry, but I hated his... 

As for the two in the bottom - Django's dramatics in the workroom were getting annoying and there was no real point in him continuing on the show, but I think this week Sean's was much worse.  That thing was a cheap looking wreck.  And the pointless fringe, ugh.  Stop already Sean.  At least last week the fringe actually was the skirt (though I remain confused why that outfit won), this week he just tied on random cords to the bottom of his skirt. 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 4

I have a challenge for the judges' critiques! No Anne mid-stream. No runway explanations.

Have the designers secretly switch signature styles, like, well, like Michelle copied Dmitry. Irina does fringe,  Sean does sheer panels,  etc. 

THEN see who wins and who leaves. IYKWIMaITYD. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4

I was really disappointed that there wasn't more questioning by the judges about Irina's 'flying' dress. I realize none of the designs was really functional, but they had slightly more connection to reality. In what world does putting a pole in the sleeves constitute something that could fly? It also reminded me too much of the infamous Carol Burnett 'Gone With The Wind' curtain rod gown.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I know! Michelle's little dress was a little Twiggy A-line. What's the big deal?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I knew Anthony Ryan would win because it seems he could send his model down the runway in a trash bag and he'd win.  I can't stand him and I don't think he's funny either. His outfit looked like a kid's raincoat.

Made of Colorforms.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I was really disappointed that there wasn't more questioning by the judges about Irina's 'flying' dress. I realize none of the designs was really functional, but they had slightly more connection to reality. In what world does putting a pole in the sleeves constitute something that could fly? It also reminded me too much of the infamous Carol Burnett 'Gone With The Wind' curtain rod gown.

Irina's oversized drape was such a nothing.  If the "invention" can be metaphorical (like we're supposed to get "this dress turns you into a flying squirrel" for Irina's?)  then why not send a dress trimmed with little wheels down the runway and call it a human trolley?   

I'm definitely in the minority here because I thought Michelle's carpet padding look was intriguing, and it actually did fit the challenge.  Anthony Ryan's write-on-me coat was so incredibly unoriginal and uninspired, it looked like something you'd send a five year old to school in on a rainy day.

• Love 6

Wow, what a dumb challenge. Bidell's was the best out of a bunch of crap.

Also noted, why did we need a musical where you have to pay upwards of $100 for a ticket, when there are TWO films, one a musical and one with a couple of quick songs. No wonder Hamilton is such a phenomenon, it's original material (if you don't count the book Lin-Manuel got his facts from).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jrlr said:

thought Michelle's carpet padding look was intriguing, and it actually did fit the challenge. 

I had the thought that it would be much more attractive (not to mention comfortable) if instead she'd used those quilted pads that they line elevators with when someone is moving furniture. I forget-- what stores were they allowed to "shop online" from? I know one was the $ store-- where were her carpet pads from?

image.png.7d6e00b3200b7427d70170f9f2a1dc44.png

• Love 1

I don't understand Michelle's hold over the judges.   She makes the same basic dress over and over again.  The circle thing, I guess, as a bit avante garde but only marginally so.  I don't think anyone on the show this week...judges or contestants...understood what that term means.  Their definition appears to be "slightly wacky, but still very wearable!".

• Love 14

I think Anthony Ryan won because his design was "whimsical" and that is what the judges had in mind and expected to see when they heard "inspired by Willy Wonka" and not necessarily avante garde or inventive.

I thought Irina's was beautiful with the way it draped and moved on the runway.  That deep hem she had provided just the right hanging weight to allow the movement and swing without it becoming floaty and random.  I also failed to see the difference between her simple sheath dress that was panned and Michelle's simple sheath dress that was praised. 

I agree that Michelle's would have been really amazing if she'd covered the mottled carpet pad with another fabric.  Something that I believe Anne-the-bad-coach discouraged her from doing?  Michelle is very lucky the judges liked her story and liked her silhouette and quite possibly have never actually laid eyes on carpet padding before.

Dmitry's was once again his signature floating panels design, but I actually thought what he did last night was one of his most inventive and pretty implementations of that technique.  I thought it was perfectly lovely, though with only the most tenuous of connections to the challenge theme.

I will say that I literally LOL'd when Anne-the-bad-coach asked Sean Kelly how he came up with the red and black palette of his fabric choices, and he looked dumbfoundedly straight at her and said it just "came to him" all while wearing that red and black flowered Hawaiian shirt.  It was at that very point that I started to wonder that maybe, just maybe, Anne-the-bad-coach is deliberately trolling the designers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
42 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

quite possibly have never actually laid eyes on carpet padding before.

OMG so true! I have PTSD of ripping up carpet and the padding underneath after sewer backups. I know, TMI.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, millennium said:

Now where did I write down my shopping list?   Oh that's right.   I wrote it on my back.

Can't.  Stand.  Him.

My favorite line of the night was Dimitry talking about another designer's creation.  "But looking at it intellectually, like, what the fuck?"

I don't like Dimitry, but that was really funny.

I couldn't stand Anthony Ryan at the beginning, but he's starting to grow on me.  I don't think he deserved to win this time though.

Cynthia and Biddell must know the fix is in.  They have been robbed week after week.  By making them safe, the judges don't even have to engage with them.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

if instead she'd used those quilted pads that they line elevators with when someone is moving furniture

Those pads are really heavy, though, and I doubt that they'd create the kind of swoopy shape the foam stuff did.  Like you, I've had to pick up way too many hunks of dirty wet carpet padding (during neighborhood clean ups) to find that very appealing, but it lent itself to cutting into a curved shape-which couldn't have been done with the quilted stuff- and it held it's shape well, where a quilted pad would just have drooped and looked bunchy, imo.

I still didn't think it deserved to be in the top, though.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mauras said:

The only designs I really liked tonight were by the three designers who were safe. I'd have given the win to Biddell or Dmitry. I did like the boombox outfit, but the rest, ugh. 

Also, I know we're in the lame-duck stage of the Lifetime era and none of this matters, but still: the judges almost gave the win to a carpet pad. A carpet pad!

As soon as Michelle mentioned her design inspiration was a child with autism and Anthony Ryan mentioned his design being inspired by a deaf person, I knew they were both going to get high marks no matter what they sent down the runway.  I'm fully convinced the judges are armed with prior knowledge before the runway walk and the chats with the top and bottom designers.

• Love 9

Biddell in the safe zone again. I  don't understand the judging at all. The game is rigged in favour of Michelle and Anthony Ryan.  I found neither of their designs to interesting enough to be considered avant garde, but will give top marks to the hair and make-up crew. They certainly helped elevate all the looks except for Michelle's model who looked like she successful ate her way through the paint department.  However, I particularly loved the hairstyle for Sean's model. 

It was Django's time to go but I'll miss him seething after an Anne critique. 

Dimitry's deadpan delivery kills me every time. Love his snark. 

I wish they'd bring on guest judges who are actually know about fashion. Oh, and Issac is iconic? Ok. He's shilling granny clothing on QVC. And don't get me started on Ms. Marchesa hideously frilly 'prom dress' gowns. 

news-QVC.jpg

georginachapmanjcpenney.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Wow, what a dumb challenge. Bidell's was the best out of a bunch of crap.

Also noted, why did we need a musical where you have to pay upwards of $100 for a ticket, when there are TWO films, one a musical and one with a couple of quick songs. No wonder Hamilton is such a phenomenon, it's original material (if you don't count the book Lin-Manuel got his facts from).

There's also a stage play "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", I took my son to see it at Wheelock Family Theater in Boston when he was a kid. Its nuts. Look at Hairspray-first a movie,then a musical, then a movie again, of the musical! Does no one have any ideas any more?

• Love 5

There is no way Anthony Ryan's hideous rain coat was Avant-Garde. it was simply an ugly raincoat that he found dry erase markers to write on. I've kind of given up on any incarnation of this show really knowing what avant-garde really is besides it having something (a sleeve, a skirt, a collar, etc.) oversized and asymmetrical. Michelles crappy dress, I agree with Irina, it was the same old short mini dress she's been making but with a big circle. And I don't know of any autistic kid that would want to wrap themselves in smelly, itchy carpet padding. Not to mention ugly.

• Love 12

Michelle's dress was a direct (and completely poor) knockoff of Ken's amazing dress from All Stars season 5. It really irritated me that no one noticed that. Even her concept of a person shielding themselves was ripped from his inspiration. I was genuinely furious. And I didn't like how the judges panned Irina's dress (which wasn't the main point of her design) but fawned all over Michelle's. They were both sheath dresses. Knock one, knock the other.

image.png.049f9ba28686760bc373fce921abea89.png

I didn't understand what was particularly avant-garde about Anthony Ryan's outfit. It was quirky and cute but it was at its core a coat dress. I wouldn't have awarded him the win because there wasn't anything particularly innovative about the design.

I didn't mind Irina's actually. I just wish the model had swung her arms upward to give the full circle effect like she had in her sketches. That would've looked cool.

Cynthia's was so beautiful but can someone remind me please, what was the utilitarian aspect of it? I can't remember what she said.

I adored Biddell's concept and the look itself but i don't know if it would be considered avant-garde either if it didn't have that neat light-reflecting/camera-avoiding material. I would kill for those pants though.

Sean's was a hard no for me all the way through. The design was awful, his utilitarian aspect was terrible. It really should've been the one to go.

Christina's pants were fantastic (less the speakers, I mean). They really fit her model beautifully and I loved the effect it had when she was in profile. I didn't particularly care for the netting on the bodice though. I'm not sure what that had to do with anything. As for the utilitarianism of the design, well, at least no one could steal her radio on the subway. 🙂

Dmitry's was so cool but agreed with everyone else who said he's done it before. There's no innovation there at all when you just did sheer panels in your prior challenge. And to call it "air conditioning" was hilariously disingenuous. I adored all his commentary though, he really cracked me up.

Oh, Django. Such an odd little outfit but honestly I would've categorized it as more avant-garde than Anthony Ryan's. I'll miss him and his utter disdain for Anne. God love her, she had no idea how to deal with his open hostility. I didn't like how he snapped at Anthony Ryan though.

To be honest, I don't really think any of these designs are proper avant-garde designs but if I had to choose, I would've given the win to Biddell. His was beautifully crafted and the concept of hiding from surveillance was cool. I kind of wish they'd somehow been able to show that aspect of the design, maybe on a screen by the runway. Or at least to us, the viewers.

EDITED: Sorry, all. Can't figure out how to get rid of the second picture.

image.png

Edited by JenLily
  • Love 16
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, JenLily said:

To be honest, I don't really think any of these designs are proper avant-garde designs 

It's been a long time since anyone (judges or contestants) has understood what avant garde means.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5

Not impressed with this challenge in any way, shape or form. I've never really understood avant garde but understand that it does mean imaginativee but not necessarily wearable in real life, and none of these designes really seemed to fit the bill. I think the invention element of the challenge curtailled the avant garde aspect so in the end both aspects of the challenge fought each other. From the avant garde perspective I think Django was a contender as was Michelle, the designer who did the radio suit, and Biddel. From the invention perspective the radio suit and Biddel were the most inventive. I didn't think Anthony Ryans fit either category that well. It was okay.

• Love 3