Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Sister Wives Secrets

Aethera
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Mariah is handicapped by not having been taught forgiving, compassionate behavior by her mother.

Plyg wives are too busy fighting for attention from the husband, back-stabbing sister wives and working to raise their kids without help (despite the whole line of kumbaya bullshit from this family) to fully devote attention to their children. It really is husband first, kids next. Meri would take off with Kody on a whim in the early years. So I guess Mariah was left with Christine? The kids have all had a front seat to watching the really shitty dynamics of this family. They can play huggy-kissy for the show, but I bet things are different in real life. 

• Love 20
42 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Obviously your mother brought up a loving and compassionate person.  She is probably a very loving and compassionate person herself.  Unfortunately Meri is not.  She appears to be a manipulative, narcissistic, lying, peevish, and selfish person.  Mariah is handicapped by not having been taught forgiving, compassionate behavior by her mother.  Meri is basically reaping what she has sown.  A person who doesn't freely give forgiveness to those close to them isn't as likely to have it freely given to them.  A person who never says they're sorry is going to be harder to forgive.  A person who betrays a child's father regardless of cause is going to make it difficult for the child to forgive.  A person who never takes responsibility for the pain they have caused is going to frequently cause rifts in their relationships.  

well, that's a good point I never thought of.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

The kids have all had a front seat to watching the really shitty dynamics of this family. They can play huggy-kissy for the show, but I bet things are different in real life. 

Which makes it all the more appalling that Aspyn's new husband said "I would not necessarily go out and seek other women".  Hopefully that was a scripted sound bite but, if not, she needs to either nip that in the bud or prepare for the idyllic (<snerk>) life her "mothers" are living.

• Love 20
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Which makes it all the more appalling that Aspyn's new husband said "I would not necessarily go out and seek other women".  Hopefully that was a scripted sound bite but, if not, she needs to either nip that in the bud or prepare for the idyllic (<snerk>) life her "mothers" are living.

Since dear Mitch has at least one sister who's poly (Vanessa on Seeking SW) it won't surprise me if he's at least considering it.  Kootie Bug has treated Aspyn's mom horribly in the past that we've seen and witnessed, (Galveston?  With Nitwit Nancy going along!)  It would be shocking to me that Aspyn would ever agree to other wives.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Since dear Mitch has at least one sister who's poly (Vanessa on Seeking SW) it won't surprise me if he's at least considering it.  Kootie Bug has treated Aspyn's mom horribly in the past that we've seen and witnessed, (Galveston?  With Nitwit Nancy going along!)  It would be shocking to me that Aspyn would ever agree to other wives.

Ehhhh......... if you were raised to believe something from birth, you would be surprised.   Although Kody's wives are definitely not the compliant wives you usually see in a polygamist marriage - they definitely have opinions.  I guess we'll see what the future holds.  I'm not crazy about Mitch at all.  He's like a notch above Tony.

Just now, EmeraldGirl said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Meri is a drinker. She has a bad nose to bigin with, but she’s bordering on WC Fields. 

She looks like a giant carrot with a sweet potato nose.

• Love 12

Partway through this episode I decided that this whole thing has to be one producer-driven mess.  No family - no matter how complicated - can be this dysfunctional.  It had to do with the "I found out from two random strangers that you bought the house and moved your mother in" conversation.  Even if Meri didn't have the opportunity to sit everyone down and tell them in person - which (a) I doubt wasn't possible and (b) if she told Robyn on her own, and Kody on his own, then clearly telling everyone at once wasn't important - why not send everyone a group text and just recreate the announcement when the cameras were around?

So I decided that is what must have happened, but "fake-telling everyone together" morphed into the better story of "having told a couple of them but Janelle found out from strangers so...tension and drama!"

But...why would anyone go along with this?  Meri comes across as SO HORRIBLE through all of this.  And if it were 20 years ago, then sure, go ahead and have everyone think you're awful in exchange for a decent wage.  But in the days of social media?  Why would anyone willingly go along with fake stories that make them look like despicable people, knowing you're going to be torn apart on social media.

So now I'm back to thinking there is a heck of a lot that's actually true in this big fat mess of a family.

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

It would be shocking to me that Aspyn would ever agree to other wives.

Sadly, young women in lurrrvvvvve do whatever their man says, especially in the society in which she was raised.  Sheep wives. Man is king.  Subservience.  Obedience.  Keep sweet.

Excuse me while I go throw up.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Be careful how much you read into that. The soundbites are often not what we think they are.  Remember the sound bite of Kody saying I'm the only Adult here. Didn't turn out to be quite what we all thought.  Aspyn has a choice in the matter too.  I am sure the two of them discussed what kind of marriage they wanted before they tied the knot. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Anlogle said:

Be careful how much you read into that. The soundbites are often not what we think they are.  Remember the sound bite of Kody saying I'm the only Adult here. Didn't turn out to be quite what we all thought.  Aspyn has a choice in the matter too.  I am sure the two of them discussed what kind of marriage they wanted before they tied the knot. 

That really doesn't matter down the road after the wife has a number of children.  Just ask April Briney or Cindy Alldredge.  The husband decides he wants multiple wives and it's either his way or the highway.  She has quite a few young children - and was raised in either a polygamist household or else to be submissive.... she probably doesn't have a higher degree - what's she supposed to do, other than go along with it until she can't take it any longer.    Mitch seems the type of guy who would have quite a few wives, IMO.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Gotta tell ya...I don't think any man could be horrible enough to make me want to leave him .... and then turn around and marry his sister's ALREADY MARRIED husband!! That madness is all Janelle's.

(which she did, btw, behind Meri's back, don't forget that gem. Janelle planted that poison tree a long time ago. Is there anyone here on this board that would forgive a woman for doing that to her brother, then to her?)

We can’t know what went on but I don’t believe Kody could have brought her into the marriage as a sister wife without Meri’s approval.  Maybe Janelle really wanted to have sister wives and her 1st husband wasn’t on board with that.....it’s all speculation. 🙄

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But the full quote was something like, “Even if Aspyn wanted that lifestyle, I wouldn’t necessarily go out...” That part got left out of the teasers. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Anlogle said:

I have on demand but am very new to it.   I thought that shows wouldn't show up on demand until after it airs on the network they are on. How in it already on demand?  I have looked and don't see it there. Don't even see the last episode aired

Not sure why it showed up On Demand so early.  (Yes, shows aren’t usually On Demand until they air).  Maybe a mistake?  

I just checked my On Demand menu, and it’s still there.  Again, not sure why.  It’s Comcast/Xfinity.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

Obviously your mother brought up a loving and compassionate person.  She is probably a very loving and compassionate person herself.  Unfortunately Meri is not.  She appears to be a manipulative, narcissistic, lying, peevish, and selfish person.  Mariah is handicapped by not having been taught forgiving, compassionate behavior by her mother.  Meri is basically reaping what she has sown.  A person who doesn't freely give forgiveness to those close to them isn't as likely to have it freely given to them.  A person who never says they're sorry is going to be harder to forgive.  A person who betrays a child's father regardless of cause is going to make it difficult for the child to forgive.  A person who never takes responsibility for the pain they have caused is going to frequently cause rifts in their relationships.  

Oh my . . . when did you meet my mother?????

Seriously, it took me until my late 50s to finally get up and walk away from her.  My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Sadly, young women in lurrrvvvvve do whatever their man says, especially in the society in which she was raised.  Sheep wives. Man is king.  Subservience.  Obedience.  Keep sweet.

Excuse me while I go throw up.

Yes, that is sickening to think about.  Here's hoping...poor Aspyn, if it does.

• Love 4

I agree that Meri is reaping what she sowed as a parent. And it definitely doesn't help that she refuses to take any responsibility - catfish or any other situation. It's always "I'm sorry you feel that way." That's the most you'll get out of Meri. NEVER I'm sorry I DID SOMETHING. Just "sorry you felt that way" which shifts the blame right back onto YOU instead of her.

It really pains me to hear how many of you had so much to deal with regarding parents. The problems and issues I worry about are quite small in comparison. Sometimes I forget how thankful I should be that I got two really great parents. I don't have years of crap to overcome.

I saw my grandmother purposely instigate fights between my mother & her sisters. If one of my aunts mentioned in passing that they hated my mom's new haircut, my grandmother couldn't WAIT to tell that to my mother. And it was always going that one direction...towards my mom. My grandmother was very clear that she liked her other two daughters and couldn't wait to stick it to my mom. I never could understand what kind of joy she got out of that. So petty.

@kicotan your post about unconditional love was pretty thought-provoking. My parents were always there to help all of us out of any jam...that SEEMS like unconditional love, but when I think about it, they would NOT have helped me if I did something really stupid, like rob a 7-11 or something. They would have said "BAIL??? Ha ha ha, no way little girl, you just sit your ass in jail and learn something." So it was not totally unconditional...seems like it on the surface, but really they were thinking everything through. If something unfortunate happened TO us, they were there to help...but if one of us was in a jam because of our own stupidity, they let you learn the lesson.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Sasha888 said:

If something unfortunate happened TO us, they were there to help...but if one of us was in a jam because of our own stupidity, they let you learn the lesson.

Sounds like love to me! :D

• Love 14

Ok, I just finally got around to watching the whole episode and I want to know, who in their right mind gives a person in their late 40s a 30-year mortgage on a SECOND property?!  I get that it’s technically a business loan not vacation property, but this is on top of what we all figure is an unconventional type of mortgage on her primary residence. Meri’s brother or whoever said he had to jump through hoops to make it happen - no shit! I would love to know the interest rate she got. Hopefully she took a fixed term instead of floating; rates were still very low in late 2017. And then Meri comments that she will still be paying off the house when she’s her mother’s age, like it’s something to be proud of. I really hope she can make a go of it because I don’t know who else would want that albatross of a house in Nowheresville around their neck. 

Edited by Saje81
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, endure said:

We can’t know what went on but I don’t believe Kody could have brought her into the marriage as a sister wife without Meri’s approval.  Maybe Janelle really wanted to have sister wives and her 1st husband wasn’t on board with that.....it’s all speculation. 🙄

Totally disagree with this because Meri always knew that Kody wanted polygamy. She knew that going in and was resigned to it. She said as much in the first season and in the book, I believe. She said that she knew if she married Kody, she would have to put up with the sisterwives he would bring in....she chose to ignore that because she wanted him that bad. Meri doesn't need to give Kody approval for anything, ever. Don't let the Christine 'shut up, Kody!' routine fool you. He lets them think they run the show....until he loses patience and pulls the reigns back. 

I'm sure Meri thinks she gave approval for the divorce too, in fact, I'm sure she thinks it was all her idea...but I think we're all smarter than that, no?

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 10

In fact...I'm gonna go all out on that limb and say I'm pretty certain, with everything I saw of this shitshow, that Meri was definitely not doing cartwheels when Ole Janelle was sprung on her, and Meri was told , "hey, remember that sister-in-law you used to have??, well guess what...." GMAB, they couldn't stand each other to such a degree that Janelle left and had to be coaxed back....and they never shared a kitchen again....I'm a reasonably intelligent person and can connect the dots without having to live with these fools...Meri giving her blessing to bring her ex sister-in-law to share kodys penis? Nope. Never happened. It defies common sense. Even for them. She just shut her yap and kept sweet, and that anger and resentment just festered within her for years, and warped her into the Miss Meri Sunshine we have today.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 20
On 1/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Gothish520 said:

I've looked at the website and the rooms really do look lovely, with pretty nice bathrooms too. I saw pictures of how they looked before Meri bought the house and they were darker and more cluttered. Credit where it's due, Meri did a GREAT job redecorating. 

If you have a link I'd like to look!

I'm wondering if Meri is on kodys rotation any more?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Meri giving her blessing to bring her ex sister-in-law to share kodys penis? No. It defies common sense. Even for them. She just shut her yap and kept sweet, and that anger and resentment just festered within her for years, and warped her into the Miss Meri Sunshine we have today.

I imagine Meri kept sweet with Kody and tormented Janelle when he wasn't there, driving Janelle away and causing her to work outside the home, away from Meri, once she returned and Christine was there to mother her spawn.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, endure said:

....and just to add, why the hell did Janelle approach Kody behind Meri's back?? Isn't that against "sister wife code" or some shit like that? There’s no speculation about that...that's sneaky AF.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

THANK YOU for the reminder!  I meant to say something about this.  I think Robyn needs to see a doctor.  She was actually looking yellow.  Her skin did NOT have a natural color.  I have a very dear friend who has inoperable liver cancer and his 1st sign was his skin color.  I was alarmed and then Mr. Natalie walked through while I was watching and asked what the hell is going on with Robyn's skin color.  Seriously she did not look healthy.  

I also forgot about this...I was staring at Robyn's face, trying to figure out if she looked yellow because of the lighting, or because she was seated next to the tangerine-shaded Meri - but then I kept looking at Janelle and Christine and they looked normal.  You're right, Robyn looked seriously jaundiced or something.

10 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I agree that Meri is reaping what she sowed as a parent. And it definitely doesn't help that she refuses to take any responsibility - catfish or any other situation. It's always "I'm sorry you feel that way." That's the most you'll get out of Meri. NEVER I'm sorry I DID SOMETHING. Just "sorry you felt that way" which shifts the blame right back onto YOU instead of her.

1000% THIS.  I don't believe we have ever heard Meri give a pure, heart-felt apology about anything, ever.  The closest she got was dragging Mariah to an adults-only meeting where Meri presented those lovely tree portraits, all heaped with symbolism ("Robyn, you're the new tree planted in a forest of old, bitter trees with the bark dropping off...Kody, you're that stately, majestic oak if you get my drift, wink-wink...Janelle, you're that redwood that no one could budge even if they wanted to, I'm the orange weeping willow, etc.).  Meri has raised victimhood to an art form, and you're so right - telling someone "I'm sorry you fill that way" is never an apology, it's basically Meri saying that she is going to continue to behave however she darn well wants, and the others can either suck it up or by gosh, those walls are gonna come right back up.  So there! 

7 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

In fact...I'm gonna go all out on that limb and say I'm pretty certain, with everything I saw of this shitshow, that Meri was definitely not doing cartwheels when Ole Janelle was sprung on her, and Meri was told , "hey, remember that sister-in-law you used to have??, well guess what...." GMAB, they couldn't stand each other to such a degree that Janelle left and had to be coaxed back....and they never shared a kitchen again....I'm a reasonably intelligent person and can connect the dots without having to live with these fools...Meri giving her blessing to bring her ex sister-in-law to share kodys penis? Nope. Never happened. It defies common sense. Even for them. She just shut her yap and kept sweet, and that anger and resentment just festered within her for years, and warped her into the Miss Meri Sunshine we have today.

Brava, I'm certain this is how it went down.  Meri wanted Kody so much that she stood stoically by as he married Janelle.  Then Meri made it her mission in life to make sure that Janelle never once forgot who was HBIC.  Meri's behavior got much worse as Janelle popped out Brownie after Brownie (that's when Janelle left), while Meri only had the one snowflake to her credit.  Both women are terrible - Meri for treating Janelle like old gum on the bottom of her shoe, but also Janelle for willingly becoming her sister-in-law's sister wife - and then there's the Kodester, who watched it unfold and did nothing except make the drive to wherever Janelle was living and get her pregnant again.  All three of them made this nasty bed, but none of them will ever take a smidge of ownership about the role they played.  As far as I'm concerned, they totally deserve each other.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Saje81 said:

Ok, I just finally got around to watching the whole episode and I want to know, who in their right mind gives a person in their late 40s a 30-year mortgage on a SECOND property?!

Not only that, she still hasn't sold the Las Vegas home (and would still be making payments there) and ostensibly is listed on the property they bought in Flagstaff as well as a rental there.  How is that all possible?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Regarding sound bites, I saw a video of a podcast interview that Brady Williams did about this. He said the show filmed him having a normal conversation with his 15 yr old daughter, He said he was scolding her for not cleaning up after herself or her bedroom. He said when they sent the final cut that was about to air, He was dubbed over, appearing they were having a conversation about pre marital sex. He said he called the network president and they said they couldn't change it because it was airing In a few days. He threatened a lawsuit and going public with behind the scenes and it did not air. Maybe that is why My Five WIves ended.. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, bamaview said:

Regarding sound bites, I saw a video of a podcast interview that Brady Williams did about this. He said the show filmed him having a normal conversation with his 15 yr old daughter, He said he was scolding her for not cleaning up after herself or her bedroom. He said when they sent the final cut that was about to air, He was dubbed over, appearing they were having a conversation about pre marital sex. He said he called the network president and they said they couldn't change it because it was airing In a few days. He threatened a lawsuit and going public with behind the scenes and it did not air. Maybe that is why My Five WIves ended.. 

Wow.  Good for Brady.  I liked that show, liked Brady, and liked that it showed a completely different dynamic than we see with Kodoofus.  Brady actually seemed to care about his wives' mental/emotional state, and I cannot imagine how exhausting it would be to have 5 women that you are concerned about like that, especially since inevitably one or all of them will have specific concerns regarding him or his behavior, at the same time.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm currently watching episode 3 Kody Wants Out using On Demand on Cox.  They must have released it to all the On Demand services.  

I get TLC through Philo, and it popped up as a new episode yesterday (and I was delighted).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I also forgot about this...I was staring at Robyn's face, trying to figure out if she looked yellow because of the lighting, or because she was seated next to the tangerine-shaded Meri - but then I kept looking at Janelle and Christine and they looked normal.  You're right, Robyn looked seriously jaundiced or something.

1000% THIS.  I don't believe we have ever heard Meri give a pure, heart-felt apology about anything, ever.  The closest she got was dragging Mariah to an adults-only meeting where Meri presented those lovely tree portraits, all heaped with symbolism ("Robyn, you're the new tree planted in a forest of old, bitter trees with the bark dropping off...Kody, you're that stately, majestic oak if you get my drift, wink-wink...Janelle, you're that redwood that no one could budge even if they wanted to, I'm the orange weeping willow, etc.).  Meri has raised victimhood to an art form, and you're so right - telling someone "I'm sorry you fill that way" is never an apology, it's basically Meri saying that she is going to continue to behave however she darn well wants, and the others can either suck it up or by gosh, those walls are gonna come right back up.  So there! 

Brava, I'm certain this is how it went down.  Meri wanted Kody so much that she stood stoically by as he married Janelle.  Then Meri made it her mission in life to make sure that Janelle never once forgot who was HBIC.  Meri's behavior got much worse as Janelle popped out Brownie after Brownie (that's when Janelle left), while Meri only had the one snowflake to her credit.  Both women are terrible - Meri for treating Janelle like old gum on the bottom of her shoe, but also Janelle for willingly becoming her sister-in-law's sister wife - and then there's the Kodester, who watched it unfold and did nothing except make the drive to wherever Janelle was living and get her pregnant again.  All three of them made this nasty bed, but none of them will ever take a smidge of ownership about the role they played.  As far as I'm concerned, they totally deserve each other.

I am glad the Mr. and I weren't the only ones seeing a yellow Robyn.  Seriously the color was way off.  

14 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I am glad the Mr. and I weren't the only ones seeing a yellow Robyn.  Seriously the color was way off.  

This is Robyn's new look.  Meri is the orange one, Robyn is the yellow one.   

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I cannot imagine how exhausting it would be to have 5 women that you are concerned about like that, especially since inevitably one or all of them will have specific concerns regarding him or his behavior, at the same time.

So don't marry 5.  I have zero sympathy for this crap.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

So don't marry 5.  I have zero sympathy for this crap.

Exactly.

It is often hard to have sympathy for anyone in a plural marriage situation, but especially the men because they are really the ones in charge here. They made this all happen and brought it all upon themselves. 

But maybe my feelings are not a good barometer of how one should dole out sympathy, because whenever anyone complains about issues with their children my first thought is "Well, that's what you get for having kids!"

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

OMG I was thinking the exact same thing about the "on my own"! I swear at one point Meri must've said it about 10 times in one talking head!

But that's not even true - didn't her mom contribute to the downpayment with the proceeds from her house sale?  So really, she AND HER MOM did it. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Janc said:

But that's not even true - didn't her mom contribute to the downpayment with the proceeds from her house sale?  So really, she AND HER MOM did it. 

There has been speculation about it but I don't think it has ever been confirmed.

• Love 5
On 1/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, Kyanight said:

Off Topic here.........   I wish you people would watch "Seeking Sister Wife", too.  A few of you do (YAY!) but I'm telling you what - I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see what you thought of THOSE families!!   lol      You should give it a try - pretty entertaining, IMO.

Best show ever, but harder without the shitshow of the Britney family.  Just, everyone, catch up from last season.  It is not very long and if you think The Kody Klan is bad, you ain’t seen nothing yet!  

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Janc said:

I'm sorry - but in Meri's world you are wrong.  Meri is OWED this money from whoever, and then it's hers and she did it "on her own".   No one else deserves any credit.

• Love 9

If Bonnie had any equity in her house and put it into the BnB, wouldn't Meri's four remaining siblings have claim to it if she dies before the bank gets the BnB?  Perhaps Bonnie "loaned" the money to Meri or pre-paid her "rent" of the caretaker who won't caretake's space.  The fact that Meri's brother Adam and a short stout woman (Meri's sister? or Adam's wife?) helped with the move suggested to me that they are interested in the goings on for the first time ever.  And then there was Meri's cousin who arranged all the creative financing, which is probably even worse than what we are already thinking of.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I'm sorry - but in Meri's world you are wrong.  Meri is OWED this money from whoever, and then it's hers and she did it "on her own".   No one else deserves any credit.

"I deserve it because I was only able to have ONE child where I should have been many more!!!"  

• Love 8

With Meri going on and on in this episode about how she did it on her own and how she now owns Mormon Tara (not really, not til you've paid it off, Meri)...I couldn't help but think there are a lot of other things this hosebeast needs to own...

Like the fact that she has some culpability in this catfish crap, and isn't just a blameless, totally innocent victim.

Own that, Meri.

• Love 17

On the show, Meri didn't get the money, she or someone negotiated a smaller down payment. Whether that has anything to do with Bonnie selling her house off-sccreen, I don't know.

On an unrelated note, why does the inn advertise antique four poster beds when none of the photos show four poster beds?

• Love 5
On 1/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, Yeah No said:

Meri would not have told them about the closing and the move because they always say "no" if she wants to include them in her life.

What are you basing this opinion on? I can't remember many instances of Meri asking the others to join her and being refused, I can remember Meri complaining about not feeling included but that is part and parcel of her victim mentality IMO.

1 hour ago, deirdra said:

If Bonnie had any equity in her house and put it into the BnB, wouldn't Meri's four remaining siblings have claim to it if she dies before the bank gets the BnB?

Children have no claim to money that was spent while their parents are still alive. Unless Bonnie has her name on the mortgage because of her contribution, in which case they could make a claim for that portion assuming it is not covered by a will.

Did anyone else notice the huge pile of garbage on the street when Meri was backing the trailer back into the garage? It reminded me of Janelle's unpaid garbage bill from a couple years back, I wonder if she is behind on her payments again.

• Love 12