Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Sister Wives Secrets

Aethera
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, deirdra said:

If Bonnie had any equity in her house and put it into the BnB, wouldn't Meri's four remaining siblings have claim to it if she dies before the bank gets the BnB?  Perhaps Bonnie "loaned" the money to Meri or pre-paid her "rent" of the caretaker who won't caretake's space.  The fact that Meri's brother Adam and a short stout woman (Meri's sister? or Adam's wife?) helped with the move suggested to me that they are interested in the goings on for the first time ever.  And then there was Meri's cousin who arranged all the creative financing, which is probably even worse than what we are already thinking of.

My grandparents lived in St. George (after Kanab) and when they sold that house my uncle found a buyer through the church (Mormon) and it was very creative and some could say really foolish.  This jackhole was to pay some giant balloon payment that didn't happen on schedule and it was a huge pain in the ass (this guy didn't qualify through a bank to buy the house, super lame).  I am not sure how it was sorted out but I hope her creative financing wasn't as lame as this one was.  My father really should have been more of an active participant than his brother in law was in the selling of this house.  They actually should have just kept it since the payment was about $300/mo and it was a very nice house.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I am not sure how it was sorted out but I hope her creative financing wasn't as lame as this one was. 

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.  They always seem to be "creative" when it comes to financing right down to creative rotating bankruptcies.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, bamaview said:

Regarding sound bites, I saw a video of a podcast interview that Brady Williams did about this. He said the show filmed him having a normal conversation with his 15 yr old daughter, He said he was scolding her for not cleaning up after herself or her bedroom. He said when they sent the final cut that was about to air, He was dubbed over, appearing they were having a conversation about pre marital sex. He said he called the network president and they said they couldn't change it because it was airing In a few days. He threatened a lawsuit and going public with behind the scenes and it did not air. Maybe that is why My Five WIves ended.. 

I think TLC gave them the boot, because they filed bankruptcy.  

Regarding the Five Wives, I think there were several reasons why they were canceled.  While you'd think it's great for drama,  the constant infighting between the wives was just too much even for TLC.  None of those women were happy, good lord.  Always either on the verge of tears or flat out BAWLING and screaming.  Not exactly a good selling point for polygamy. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Tielsmomma said:

None of those women were happy, good lord.  Always either on the verge of tears or flat out BAWLING and screaming.  Not exactly a good selling point for polygamy. 

That's exactly like SW as well.  But we silly monogamists just don't understand how great it is.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I'm sorry - but in Meri's world you are wrong.  Meri is OWED this money from whoever, and then it's hers and she did it "on her own".   No one else deserves any credit.

LOLZ, the circular "logic" of this statement is so unbelievably laughable, I don't know how any of the wives, or Kody, or production, or the cameramen, or their dogs keep a straight face while listening to Meri blubber.  I know at home I am usually laughing so hard I am in constant danger of spilling my popcorn.

• Love 7
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, Kohola3 said:

Which makes it all the more appalling that Aspyn's new husband said "I would not necessarily go out and seek other women".  Hopefully that was a scripted sound bite but, if not, she needs to either nip that in the bud or prepare for the idyllic (<snerk>) life her "mothers" are living.

Before he said that he said that he would never force Aspyn into polygamous marriage so I think his whole point was that it would have to be a mutual decision and maybe he wouldn't necessarily seek other women out but rather let things happen naturally.   

• Love 3

I have watched several different shows about polymamous  marriages and in all of them the women really seem to struggle hard with it and I honestly think that is the reality of this type of marriage.  It is hard and IMO, unnatural for women to share their husbands with other women.  None of these shows has made me think that it would a good way to live. It actually reaffirms my belief that marriage should be exclusive between two people only.  

• Love 19
16 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

On an unrelated note, why does the inn advertise antique four poster beds when none of the photos show four poster beds?

OMG you're right.  I just took a look, and the 'antique four poster beds' description is directly above the pictures of regular beds!!!

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

With Meri going on and on in this episode about how she did it on her own and how she now owns Mormon Tara (not really, not til you've paid it off, Meri)...I couldn't help but think there are a lot of other things this hosebeast needs to own...

Like the fact that she has some culpability in this catfish crap, and isn't just a blameless, totally innocent victim.

Own that, Meri.

Love the end of that posts.  Really, I would be very worried if, a few days before, Meri is all "I need money from the Family Fund" then a few days later:  "I got it all handled."  I assume the amount she wanted/needed was significant, so what changed?  

I looked up the B&B and I was struck by how there is no mention of the breakfasts they serve.  Most B&B's pride themselves on their creative foods for breakfast/brunch, but no mention of it anywhere.  I would like to recommend changing the name of "Grandma's Room"  - that name does does conjure up romantic feelings for a getaway, lol

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I looked up the B&B and I was struck by how there is no mention of the breakfasts they serve. 

Originally there was a big hoopla about the "fabulous cinnamon rolls" which most of us figured were from a pop open can.  However, one of our posters stayed there and said a local woman comes in and cooks a breakfast.

Edited by Kohola3
spelling counts
  • Love 6
Just now, Kohola3 said:

Originally there was a big hoopla about the "fabulous cinnamon rolls" which most of us figured were from a pop open can.  However, one of our posters stayed there and said a local woman comes in and cooks a breakfast.

She should advertise that!!  But then again Meri does not strike me as someone who thinks things through.......I want to do a thought bubble thing where a thought bubble appears over each of their heads on what they are REALLY thinking:  Robyn:  "Thank God, since I am legally wed to Kody, that we are OUT of this financial shitshow"  Meri:  "It is obvious you all hate me" etc......

• Love 8
Just now, Kohola3 said:

It's amazing the broad range between some of the breakfasts at a B&B.   It can be nothing but cold cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, orange juice and bagels - on up to a massive hot meal.  The best B&B breakfast we ever had was in York, England of all places!  They are NOT known for their food!  (And I am English.)   I could not believe the huge amount of food the HUSBAND cooked for us.  Heworth Guest House.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

But then again Meri does not strike me as someone who thinks things through..

As evidenced by the fact that she's apparently never looked at her own website trumpeting the "antique four-poster beds" directly above the pictures showing..........no four-poster beds.  Can you say proof read?

Moron.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

As evidenced by the fact that she's apparently never looked at her own website trumpeting the "antique four-poster beds" directly above the pictures showing..........no four-poster beds.  Can you say proof read?

Moron.

So she maid an honest mistake......

Edited by Kyanight
HA HA HA HA! I crack myself up sometimes......
  • Love 18

My other thing (and I have a lot) is did she EVER mention buying a B&B before? (I must preface I am in MN and have been home since Monday and I am only catching some of this in reruns)  Because to suddenly want to own it because a distant relative once owned it is not a good reason to put yourself into deep debt and run a business.   And if I were Mariah I would make it clear that I am not spending my summers or breaks being a maid, repair person, greeter at the door or a cook.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My other thing (and I have a lot) is did she EVER mention buying a B&B before? (I must preface I am in MN and have been home since Monday and I am only catching some of this in reruns)  Because to suddenly want to own it because a distant relative once owned it is not a good reason to put yourself into deep debt and run a business.   And if I were Mariah I would make it clear that I am not spending my summers or breaks being a maid, repair person, greeter at the door or a cook.

IIRC Meri’s reason for wanting to buy the house was to “bring it back into the family”. 

Running it as a B&B was her rationale for how she’s cover the mortgage payments. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Alapaki said:

IIRC Meri’s reason for wanting to buy the house was to “bring it back into the family”. 

See, and I just see this as an emotional response to a situation that you have no financial business being in!  But that is me.......B&B's are not known for their huge profit gain.  If anyone is in Duluth, MN:  https://thomsonhouse.biz/  Holy moly this place is THE BEST!!!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Moron.

She is stretching the truth there with 4 poster beds.  The Regency style bed in the East room, does have 4 posts but that is not the dominant feature of that bed. 

I think Meri has picked up some decorating magazines and coined a few phrases..."petit fleur wall coverings" aka 1980's wallpaper with fake attempts at wainscotting.  The "thick, luxurious bed coverings" are little more than coverlets manufactured in an off-shore sweat shop.  The "plump, overstuffed pillows" are forms picked up at any fabric store or Wal-mart with useless doilies tacked on.

The breakfasts better be damn good to warrant paying those prices to spend a night in a room furnished with second hand, depression era funiture. 

• Love 12
39 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Nope, she did not.  Not in the last 147 seasons of Sister Wives can I ever recall Meri once saying that there was a house in Parowan that she wanted to buy, and yet  - as she's told us ad nauseam during the most recent season - she's been wanting to buy the fahm'ly home in Parowan for the past 20 years and that it's her sole reason for existing and she's gonna own that home no matter how many termite-printed legging she has to sell, blah blah blah.   I don't doubt that she knew of the house's existence, but I think her sudden psychotic drive to own it came after she realized that Sam was not, in fact, going to zip her away on his white horse and feed her vegan meals in Paris.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21

Was it on the market or did she approach the owner? Do we know that part? Because what are the odds, with her busy career, that she happened upon the listing just when she had 40K burning a hole in her pocket? Serendipity, or a long con?

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

The breakfasts better be damn good to warrant paying those prices to spend a night in a room furnished with second hand, depression era funiture. 

Absolutely.  And none of them look particularly cheerful, either.  But I am not an antiques person so that isn't me at all right off the bat.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, suomi said:

Was it on the market or did she approach the owner? Do we know that part? Because what are the odds, with her busy career, that she happened upon the listing just when she had 40K burning a hole in her pocket? Serendipity, or a long con?

The owner was widowed and no doubt facing some major expenditures to maintain the place, the kitchen and decorating are out-of-date, someone mentioned we have never seen pictures of the roof, so maybe new shingles, possibly HVAC updates needed?

She had no doubt, researched the property and discovered the Meri Brown connection...a well-placed phone call and VOILA!!! the seed was planted in Meri's head.  Those tears she was shedding at the turnover were tears of relief, not nostalgia.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

She is stretching the truth there with 4 poster beds.  The Regency style bed in the East room, does have 4 posts but that is not the dominant feature of that bed. 

I think Meri has picked up some decorating magazines and coined a few phrases..."petit fleur wall coverings" aka 1980's wallpaper with fake attempts at wainscotting.  The "thick, luxurious bed coverings" are little more than coverlets manufactured in an off-shore sweat shop.  The "plump, overstuffed pillows" are forms picked up at any fabric store or Wal-mart with useless doilies tacked on.

I am telling you, Gordon Ramsay needs to pay this bnb a visit.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

She should advertise that!!  But then again Meri does not strike me as someone who thinks things through.......I want to do a thought bubble thing where a thought bubble appears over each of their heads on what they are REALLY thinking:  Robyn:  "Thank God, since I am legally wed to Kody, that we are OUT of this financial shitshow"  Meri:  "It is obvious you all hate me" etc......

Totally!  I know that food is one of the biggest enticements for me.  If it is not listed I would have to call and ask which would be a pain (loathe the phone).  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

The previous owner had a page with a simple list of things to do, places to go in the area.

Well, it would have to be a darned short list. 

Look up "5 best things to do in Parowan" and they include a cemetery, a museum, petroglyphs (which would be cool), a dinosaur footprint (also cool), and a trail ride.

"Best restaurants" include the Mountain Bistro (no where near a mountain), the Parowan Cafe (pictures of a greasy spoon diner), The Pizza Barn,  Hamburger Patty's, and Calvarios, another diner-type place.

Yep, sign me up.  Sounds like a fascinating place. 

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

See, and I just see this as an emotional response to a situation that you have no financial business being in!  But that is me.......B&B's are not known for their huge profit gain.  If anyone is in Duluth, MN:  https://thomsonhouse.biz/  Holy moly this place is THE BEST!!!

That place looks nice!  But now I want chocolate cake.  HA!  I have stayed at one B&B and they had a full hot breakfast that was really good.  We were the only ones there and the food was delivered to our room.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, it would have to be a darned short list. 

Look up "5 best things to do in Parowan" and they include a cemetery, a museum, petroglyphs (which would be cool), a dinosaur footprint (also cool), and a trail ride.

"Best restaurants" include the Mountain Bistro (no where near a mountain), the Parowan Cafe (pictures of a greasy spoon diner), The Pizza Barn,  Hamburger Patty's, and Calvarios, another diner-type place.

Yep, sign me up.  Sounds like a fascinating place. 

So.....does Meri live FT at the B&B?  Half time there and half time in Vegas in her huge house?  Did she sell the house and move to Flagstaff?  Why all the moving?  I would have sold that huge 3000 - 3500 sq foot house, moved to a small townhome I could have paid all cash for and just chilled.......Sell my fugly tights when I want to not when I have to!!!

5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

That place looks nice!  But now I want chocolate cake.  HA!  I have stayed at one B&B and they had a full hot breakfast that was really good.  We were the only ones there and the food was delivered to our room.

Yes, we stayed there after we got married and we had breakfast delivered in a basket!  I still have the card saying what our breakfast was......awwww!  But go to Duluth in May through the end of October.  Otherwise.......brrrr.......  Super nice couple who run and own but it is A LOT of work.  You are basically cleaning, changing sheets and cooking/baking/food prep ALL DAY LONG, every day!  We had the Lake Superior Room, btw.  It was AWESOME!!   There was a tv in the bathroom!!!   For me, that was LIVING!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

When someone mentions a B&B, THIS place is what I picture in my head.... NOT that dusty, creaky, haunted, overpriced old house in the middle of nowhere I want to be that Meri just had to have because reasons.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My hell, that place is nice! I looked at every room, there isn't even one doily or table runner or cute-sy table topper. The walls and horizontal surfaces are not cluttered, there's always somewhere for the eye to rest. Each piece in the room has its own place on the stage. No dried flower wreaths or arrangements; those are fresh flowers in the vases, right? The bed linens look to be just the right amount of worn and they fold, hang and drape nicely. The food! Does Meri do white robes? People like robes. My hell, that place is nice! Thank you for posting the link.

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, suomi said:

My hell, that place is nice! I looked at every room, there isn't even one doily or table runner or cute-sy table topper. The walls and horizontal surfaces are not cluttered, there's always somewhere for the eye to rest. Each piece in the room has its own place on the stage. No dried flower wreaths or arrangements; those are fresh flowers in the vases, right? The bed linens look to be just the right amount of worn and they fold, hang and drape nicely. The food! Does Meri do white robes? People like robes. My hell, that place is nice! Thank you for posting the link.

Darn straight they are fresh!  And the food.......We went up for a mid week getaway and since the place was empty the owner was nice enough to show us ALL the rooms and they were all so gorgeous.  And the grounds!!!  Totally gorgeous landscaping!  There is also a large common living room for people to lounge in, most of the time we had it to ourselves as people were out and about or in their rooms.  The owner decorates for holidays, too and it is stunning.

*****For the record I have no ownership in this place nor am I related to the owner, lol!************

• Love 5
On 1/31/2019 at 3:18 PM, Natalie68 said:

Totally!  I know that food is one of the biggest enticements for me.  If it is not listed I would have to call and ask which would be a pain (loathe the phone).  

Then you would love this place in north Georgia.  https://beechwoodinn.ws/

The owners are fantastic, and the food is great.   You can have a romantic dinner prepared by the chef and served in the wine cellar!!   That is on my bucket list.  

The only bad breakfast I ever had was  at a different B&B in another state; the meal was  a few days after Halloween.   We only stayed one night so maybe other breakfasts were better.  They just had a lot of left over pumpkin spice mix that I guess they wanted to use up.  Almost everything was pumpkiny.   I have a limited tolerance for pumpkin.

I thought I recalled reading that Meri had a caterer that did her meals.   I was guessing a retired person with some food service experience. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I thought I recalled reading that Meri had a caterer that did her meals.   I was guessing a retired person with some food service experience. 

No one would need food service experience for a four bedroom B&B in a quiet little town.   As long as they knew how to cook a good meal!   Er... and just breakfast, at that!  Breakfast is pretty easy - hard to mess it up!

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

No one would need food service experience for a four bedroom B&B in a quiet little town.   As long as they knew how to cook a good meal!   Er... and just breakfast, at that!  Breakfast is pretty easy - hard to mess it up!

No, they wouldn't need it unless they want to be known for a really good meal.    One of the best breakfasts I ever had was at a very small B&B;  I think a lot of them do pride themselves on exceptional meals--at least that is true for most of the ones I have been to.    Here is what Meri said:  

December 13, 2018 Meri Brown

This holiday season, as Lizzie's Heritage Inn also celebrates our one year anniversary, I am overwhelmed and in awe that this long-time dream of mine has actually come to fruition!  I have accumulated quite the team this year, starting with the most important, my mom. She lives in the home and is there on a daily basis running the business, welcoming guests, and everything else associated with the B&B, and I am so grateful for her!  I have a fabulous cook, a wonderful housekeeper, as well as my business consultants, and marketing & social media team.  I could not do this business without them!  We all work together to make this a most comfortable and amazing home away from home experience for you, and I hope you feel the warm welcome when you come into our home.

I think someone gave them a dictionary for Christmas and the word for this season is "fruition."  Janelle has said it repeatedly recently, and here Meri is using it.  It was in some song that I learned in 3rd grade, but I didn't feel the need to go around using it all the time.      Also I wonder who her business consultants and marketing & social media team really are.  Probably all the same people.  

"Fruition" is my new drinking word for the season.   I may get rill drunk.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Meri wrote:   I have a fabulous cook, (Agatha from down the street) a wonderful housekeeper (my mom) as well as my business consultants, (mom and my brother) and marketing & social media team (my friends on FB and Twitter.)

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, Twopper said:

No, they wouldn't need it unless they want to be known for a really good meal.    One of the best breakfasts I ever had was at a very small B&B;  I think a lot of them do pride themselves on exceptional meals--at least that is true for most of the ones I have been to.    Here is what Meri said:  

December 13, 2018 Meri Brown

This holiday season, as Lizzie's Heritage Inn also celebrates our one year anniversary, I am overwhelmed and in awe that this long-time dream of mine has actually come to fruition!  I have accumulated quite the team this year, starting with the most important, my mom. She lives in the home and is there on a daily basis running the business, welcoming guests, and everything else associated with the B&B, and I am so grateful for her!  I have a fabulous cook, a wonderful housekeeper, as well as my business consultants, and marketing & social media team.  I could not do this business without them!  We all work together to make this a most comfortable and amazing home away from home experience for you, and I hope you feel the warm welcome when you come into our home.

I think someone gave them a dictionary for Christmas and the word for this season is "fruition."  Janelle has said it repeatedly recently, and here Meri is using it.  It was in some song that I learned in 3rd grade, but I didn't feel the need to go around using it all the time.      Also I wonder who her business consultants and marketing & social media team really are.  Probably all the same people.  

"Fruition" is my new drinking word for the season.   I may get rill drunk.

That sure is a an awfully big "staff" for an under occupied four bedroom bnb in a Podunk town.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, neh said:

That sure is a an awfully big "staff" for an under occupied four bedroom bnb in a Podunk town.

If they haven't yet insulated, drywalled, heated and electrified the garden shed they laughably refer to as the "Caretakers Cottage", they would only have 3 rooms available to rent.

Bonnie has to sleep somewhere, sometime.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

If they haven't yet insulated, drywalled, heated and electrified the garden shed they laughably refer to as the "Caretakers Cottage", they would only have 3 rooms available to rent.

Bonnie has to sleep somewhere, sometime.

I wondered what Caretakers Cottage they were talking about. Doesn't it sound like just a big tax write off?

• Love 4
On 1/28/2019 at 5:27 AM, Barbara Please said:

Is Janelle still doing Strive? It doesn’t look like it. Her faux enthusiasm was grating, and while I get she wants a better relationship with Meri it is a little too late for that. 

Mariah has grown as a person, unlike her selfish mother. I wouldn’t be visiting the loneliest wet bar either. Meri sucks all the joy outta the room.  I agree entirely that Meri wasn’t an innocent victim in the catch fish scheme. She was looking for a way out.

It irks me that  Meri’s has never fessed up to the salacious involvement she had with “Sam.” Idiot thought she’d be living the good  life with a wealthy handsome vegan, and say see ya later to kody and co. 

Why am I having team Kody moments this season? Has hell frozen over? I’m must be living in the upside down.  He has made some good points. And what is with Christine shutting him down at every turn? There is a lot anger seething Towards him from the  other wives, especially Christine and Robin. Has he got another woman on the line? Anyone got the deets on this?

The only thing that would make this show remotely interesting would be if Cody brought in another woman. I've been waiting for that for years. Surprised he heasn't cuz that would assure them a few more seasons

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

The only thing that would make this show remotely interesting would be if Cody brought in another woman. I've been waiting for that for years. Surprised he heasn't cuz that would assure them a few more seasons

He can't.  Robyn would never allow it.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

I believe it was AZChristian that stayed there and said that a woman comes in to cook breakfast and she has a catering business.  I wouldn't think it would be too taxing for her drop in to cook one or two meals once in a blue moon.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I believe it was AZChristian that stayed there and said that a woman comes in to cook breakfast and she has a catering business.  I wouldn't think it would be too taxing for her drop in to cook one or two meals once in a blue moon.

Thanks, I think I am overdosing on the boards.  I can't remember where I read anything.

• Love 4
On 2/1/2019 at 1:50 AM, suomi said:

That place is NICE. I reluctantly clicked on the link and was sold. 

16 hours ago, Kyanight said:

My family stays at the beach in jersey for a week every year and my dad cooks breakfast for everybody. He makes what my husband fondly refers to as Over/Under Eggs. They are both simultaneously Over cooked AND Under cooked. Lol. I don't know how he manages to screw up eggs but he does! 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Lady of nod said:

i'm not so sure about that. She seems pretty much checked out and over the Kodster

I agree, but when it comes to another woman having kids that might be favored over your little ones, it's quite a deterrent.  (You never know.)  Not to mention the money has to be spread out and shared, and I just do not see Robyn wanting to spread any thinner or sharing any more than she has to - especially with an unknown woman.  And we've ALL seen it a hundred times as we grew up - either the guy or the girl was pretty much over their boyfriend/girlfriend until someone else was interested in them and they were interested in the new person - that was a game changer.  I don't see Robyn going along with that - and she seems to wear the pants in the family.  Her son goes to college in Arizona so the entire family is uprooted and moves to that town and state?  I mean, who does that?  We don't know that it's the reason why they moved of course - but why THERE?  And Kody has said numerous times now that he is done with taking on new wives.  I don't think he would do it even if TLC suggested it might extend them a few seasons.

• Love 11