Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Honeymoon

• Start Topic

Welcome back, Nine-Nine! And welcome to NBC, where you can, indeed, skirt around the profanities! I had my mouth gaped open at the "c in my a" bit. 

Everything worked so well. Can I say, even though I would have loved a new theme sequence, I also love that they are keeping the exact same credits. For me, I interpret it as them showing that despite being on a different network, it's still the same Nine-Nine we all love. 

My, my at Amy standing up for Jake against Holt. It made total sense, though. I loved the "I don't give a hoot" bit a lot, but it certainly ended badly for the Nine-Nine because of Holt. However, I do love that Holt's going to take some more risks in terms of his job. We have known Holt to be a stickler so that he could climb up the ranks despite his sexuality and the colour of his skin. But him being done due to Old White Guy being Commissioner instead does allow for a different direction to be taken with Holt, one that I very much look forward to. 

Those vacation shirts were fantastic as well. 

Ah, Gina and Boyle's plot was fairly well done. I had a feeling that Gina was protecting the Boyle men from her mother, but they definitely made me think that maybe Boyle's father had cheated for a couple of minutes there, and that Gina had found out and was protecting Boyle. 

Terry gets temporarily promoted! And Rosa has to help him through his Top Dog Terry stuff! 

• Love 13

So happy to have this show back. I have been watching the first 5 seasons every night before bed since the renewal (I know, I like routine) and I forgot how much it sucks to wait between episodes. 

The good thing about Holt's consequences are that Amy will be on the same floor as the detectives. They don't have to find creative reasons to head downstairs (upstairs?) to include her in the story. 

I wanted a lot more Rosa, but this episode was wonderful and it felt just like old times. Didn't skip a beat. 

• Love 13

I mean, it was totally obvious that the pineapple was a slut. 

Oh it was so good to have this show back, after so many moments of it being on life support! Honestly, this episode could have been the Nine-Nine playing Scrabble, I am so happy to have these characters back. 

Amy must really love Jake to yell at Holt! She gives not one single Hoot! She has no more Hoots to give if Holt is going to be a whinny baby! So Holt stands up for what he thinks, but the Nine-Nine is in trouble now. This is going to be very interesting.

Amy and Jake have some really interesting taste in role play. I love it. I just adore how they totally love each others quirks and passions, even if the one one doesent totally get it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back!  Different network, but same, awesome show!

I guess I can't be too surprised that Holt didn't get the job, since it probably would have been hard to keep him involved with everyone else if he was busy being the commissioner for the entire NYPD, but I still felt bad for him and I could understand why it hurt (especially since this John Kelly seems like he is what is everything wrong with police bureaucrats.)  And I like that despite being his normal stoic self on the surface, he was actually upset and even lashing out at times, and didn't realize that he was messing up Jake and Amy's honeymoon.  I like that he is imperfect, while still a good man and boss.  That said, I love that it led to Amy defending Jake and totally giving Holt the third degree.  The show has done a great job at having Amy come out of her shell and not let her respect and admiration towards Holt make her be a teacher pet anymore, and will confront him when he's in the wrong.  And, naturally, it snapped Holt out of his funk and now he's got a new drive that will hopefully shake things up.  Even if it sure looks like there will be retaliation in the process.

Jake and Amy continue to be one of the best couples on television, right down to the roleplaying that involved Amy dressing like Bonnie Bedelia from Die Hard!  Melissa Fumero sure was rocking that look, but granted, there probably isn't any look she can't pull off!

The B-plots were fine enough diversions.  Terry/Rosa are always fun, and it helped Terry gain confidence and remember that he is a good leader in his own right.  Gina/Boyle was mainly them being at their normal selves, although I guess it was nice seeing that Gina was actually trying to be protective and nice to Boyle in her own way. 

I totally believe that every single one of Holt's vacation shirts were real.  And if they're not, they will be!

Glad that the show is back.  Hopefully it will do well or at least do good online/streaming, since it sounds like NBC pays more attention to those than Fox did.  Either way, wherever this is the show's swan song or a new beginning for it, I'm just glad for more of the Nine-Nine gang!

• Love 12

I'm so glad this is back. I laughed out loud at Holt's "What is God?" security question. 

Melissa *was* rocking that Bonnie Bedalia look! I also liked Jake's callback to the "importance of a tie in the workplace" and Amy's reference to "Charles's box of nightmares." 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, BigPaul25 said:

“This B needs a C in her A” ...Yeah, I was thinking what Jake was thinking.

Oddly, I knew what they bleeped out but didn't hear what Amy said she really meant. C was for coconut, but what did she mean the B and A to be for?

DTF: Down to Fiesta was my favorite Holt shirt. Mainly because of his long standing loathing  for acronyms that are the same number of syllables as the actual phrase, and I’m certain he doesn’t know what DTF really stands for. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 14

I was a little surprised that Kevin wasn’t brought up at all.  He couldn’t have been happy about Holt just skipping town like that.  

Otherwise, great episode.  Jake and Amy’s sexy cosplay was perfect.  Holt’s tank tops were hilarious.  Watch NBC or someone market the pineapple slut tank, and I would definitely get one.  

Welcome back, B99!

• Love 7

I’m still cautiously on board.

NBC comedies tend to be a lot broader and wholesome than FOX (go figure) so I was a little concerned.

i think the Holt/Amy/Jake parts flowed the best while the precinct scenes seemed flat and shoehorned in to get all the principles some screen time.

thr one thing that hasn’t changed at all tho is that Gina still drags down every doddamned scene she is. When is she leaving again ?

• Love 6

Labia. Referral gina30. Hootless.

Poor Holt. Bad enough he lost the job, but to JOHN KELLY?

I just realized, was that the John Kelly, the one who just left a high profile job in D.C.? Wow, that's a quite timely reference if so.

I was a little surprised that Kevin wasn’t brought up at all.

Me too. I hope they haven't broken up. However, it might be funny to see Holt out on the market again, trying to date and navigate dating apps.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

it might be funny to see Holt out on the market again, trying to date and navigate dating apps

NOOOOO! Captain + Kevin + Cheddar 4EVER!

But you've got a great idea there--suppose the Cap had to go undercover on the dating scene? I'm down with that!

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I just realized, was that the John Kelly, the one who just left a high profile job in D.C.? Wow, that's a quite timely reference if so.

Last season there were two interchangeable old white male candidates both named John Kelly.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Trillium said:

DTF: Down to Fiesta was my favorite Holt shirt. Mainly because of his long standing loathing  for acronyms that are the same number of syllables as the actual phrase, and I’m certain he doesn’t know what DTF really stands for. 

You know all these shirts will likely end up in the NBC merch store for B99 - which makes me incredibly happy :)

1 hour ago, rhys said:

Wha??

Yeah, ditto here. I did miss a labia joke?

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

You know all these shirts will likely end up in the NBC merch store for B99 - which makes me incredibly happy :)

Yeah, ditto here. I did miss a labia joke?

I own several items from their Parks and Rec line. 😉

13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I totally believe that every single one of Holt's vacation shirts were real.  And if they're not, they will be!

At least one of the shirts exists b/c I have a version of it. Although my "one tequila ..." shirt is better b/c it's got a cartoon worm getting progressively drunker until passing out. Of all my t-shirts, it gets the most reactions. It's possible that a slutty pineapple would do even better.

Everyone has covered what I would have said.

I thought the unexpected guest would be Doug Judy, but a morose Captain Holt was even better.

Besides what we saw, I really don't want to know what's in Boyle's Box of Horrors.

We better get more Rosa next week. And a Kevin mention even if it's not an actual sighting.

Nine-Nine!!!

• Love 5

Great episode. Although everything worked, my favorite storyline was with Holt, Jake, and Amy. Holt was hilarious as depressed. The shirts were great. When we first see him, I was thinking that it was weird for him to be wearing that tank top, but the explanation about not having packed was perfect.

Amy was almost a doppleganger for Bonnie Bedelia. And her "hoot" scene was fantastic. 

So glad the show's back.

• Love 3

This is one of the very few shows I save to watch a second time. The dialogue is just so quick and relentless you almost have to watch twice to catch everything.

What was the first novelty shirt Holt was wearing? He said something about it like "although it's spelled incorrectly, for the humor." All the stuff with Holt was just solid gold. Him floating up to Amy and Jake in the pool and saying "just push me away. Everyone else does." And getting down on the floor so they could see his face while they were getting massaged.

Why in the name of all that is good and holy hasn't Andre Braugher won an Emmy for this role? It makes me mad.

I love how Jake said he wanted to know where he could buy the pineapple shirt "asking for a friend."

Good news - the episode got good ratings, the best in 2 years.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 19

"Do-Me Decimal system" was my favorite line of the night. It is SO good to have this show back. Boyle wearing that Gina mask and wig was hilarious. I loved Terry throwing the computer after entering another wrong password. Someone upthread mentioned that Holt didn't bring up Kevin when he talked about leaving. I seriously hope that they are still together. That would break my heart. Also they can't do that to Cheddar. My dad's favorite Holt shirt was the one that said one tequila two tequila floor.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Good news - the episode got good ratings, the best in 2 years.

Yes! That's what you get when you have a great show and you actually promote it. NBC was running ads for months, in prime time and during SNL, and they were VERY FUNNY. Fox never bothered at all.

8 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

"Do-Me Decimal system"

I love that Amy gives a whole new dimension to the "sexy librarian" trope.

The labia joke was early in the episode. Holt was pointing out the smile he allegedly had when he still thought he got the promotion. He referred to the changes in his lips, using the Latin terminology. Then Hitchcock said "We can say 'labia' now?" and proceeded to say it a few times until the rest of them told him to shut up.

The gina code was a discount code for claiming Gina referred them to the resort.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dancingjaneway said:

"Do-Me Decimal system" was my favorite line of the night. It is SO good to have this show back. Boyle wearing that Gina mask and wig was hilarious. I loved Terry throwing the computer after entering another wrong password. Someone upthread mentioned that Holt didn't bring up Kevin when he talked about leaving. I seriously hope that they are still together. That would break my heart. Also they can't do that to Cheddar. My dad's favorite Holt shirt was the one that said one tequila two tequila floor.  

I'm pretty sure Kevin and Holt are still together. At the very least, Kevin's name WAS mentioned when Gina suggested Terry try a password that involved Kevin's name. They probably left the mention out for time, or because it should be obvious that Kevin was just back at home. We know Holt didn't pack anything before boarding the plane, but he would have had to go home to grab his passport so maybe he let Kevin know that he was taking off then. I wouldn't worry about these two. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Why in the name of all that is good and holy hasn't Andre Braugher won an Emmy for this role? It makes me mad.

Very true. But also why isn't Melissa Fumero a consideration for an Emmy as well? I gotta give props to her for her epic I Don't Give a Hoot speech here. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, PierreMonet said:

thr one thing that hasn’t changed at all tho is that Gina still drags down every doddamned scene she is. When is she leaving again ?

I disagree. I thought "New phone. Who dis?" was hilarious. I always liked Gina as a character and don't seem to share the same disdain for her that most folks do. I think she adds to the show being a civilian and skewing a little younger on the maturity side due to her phone obsession. She's kind of the anti-Amy and brings a nice balance to the cast. Plus, she saved the 99 when the NYPD was trying to shut it down!

I completely agree with @iMonrey. I feel like I have to watch more than once to fully appreciate all the jokes. It's just as smart as The Good Place, but at triple the speed. Andre Braugher's straight-man delivery of wacky lines are always the highlight of the show to me.

B99 and The Good Place is a one-two punch of happiness and joy!

image.png.b5fe4a2d78fc6be105377b415eca9a8c.png

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Catfi9ht said:

I disagree. I thought "New phone. Who dis?" was hilarious. I always liked Gina as a character and don't seem to share the same disdain for her that most folks do. I think she adds to the show being a civilian and skewing a little younger on the maturity side due to her phone obsession. She's kind of the anti-Amy and brings a nice balance to the cast. Plus, she saved the 99 when the NYPD was trying to shut it down!

I completely agree with @iMonrey. I feel like I have to watch more than once to fully appreciate all the jokes. It's just as smart as The Good Place, but at triple the speed. Andre Braugher's straight-man delivery of wacky lines are always the highlight of the show to me.

B99 and The Good Place is a one-two punch of happiness and joy!

image.png.b5fe4a2d78fc6be105377b415eca9a8c.png

Agree on Gina. There typically does seem to be one snarky female in most offices, at least in all the ones I've worked in. It's welcome as it brings levity to what are typically too dry and boring office environments.

Agree on the jokes too, they come so fast I miss half of them the first viewing. I loved how Boyle managed to snap a phone pic of Gina when she was confronting him on wearing a mask of her - that's just good writing, as just the mask itself would fall flat after the first gag of seeing it.

Has Andre B won an emmy for the other cop show he was on (forgive me, I can't recall the name at the moment)?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Agree on Gina. There typically does seem to be one snarky female in most offices, at least in all the ones I've worked in. It's welcome as it brings levity to what are typically too dry and boring office environments.

Agree on the jokes too, they come so fast I miss half of them the first viewing. I loved how Boyle managed to snap a phone pic of Gina when she was confronting him on wearing a mask of her - that's just good writing, as just the mask itself would fall flat after the first gag of seeing it.

Has Andre B won an emmy for the other cop show he was on (forgive me, I can't recall the name at the moment)?

In 1998, Andre Braugher won an Emmy for best actor in a drama series for his portrayal of Frank Pembleton on Homicide:  Life on the Street.  It's a really excellent series and his character was just outstanding, not like any other cop on TV.  He deserved more than one Emmy for it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10

I loved Amy as Bonnie Bedelia from Die Hard, but I about lost my shit over Jake as Melvil Dewey. Made the mistake of watching during my lunch break at work and had to stifle my laughter. Even funnier because Dewey was a hardcore horndog. His bio on Wikipedia contains some great facts about all the ways he sexually harassed his female employees and how he had to step down as the head of the American Library Association because he couldn't keep it in his pants. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, rhys said:

Wha??

Labia: the "slight tension" in Holt's "labial commissure" that gives away whether he got the promotion; Hitchcock gets super excited that they can say "labia" again.

Referral Gina30: Gina's discount code for the resort that apparently everyone uses

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Yaaaas! I need that Pineapple Slut shirt in my life.

This show is perfection. I love Amy and Jake, definite couple goals. I finally got to watch this show live and I literally laughed out loud. This is one of the few shows that just gets my funny bone.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Yaaaas! I need that Pineapple Slut shirt in my life.

This show is perfection. I love Amy and Jake, definite couple goals. I finally got to watch this show live and I literally laughed out loud. This is one of the few shows that just gets my funny bone.

this. it's like Parks and Rec at 1.25 speed with the joke speed.

21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Dont forget Jake dressing like Melvil Dewey, creator of the Dewey Decimal System! Its really doing it for Amy...

12 hours ago, saoirse said:

I loved the attention to detail for the Melvil Dewey outfit!

3 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

I loved Amy as Bonnie Bedelia from Die Hard, but I about lost my shit over Jake as Melvil Dewey. Made the mistake of watching during my lunch break at work and had to stifle my laughter. Even funnier because Dewey was a hardcore horndog. His bio on Wikipedia contains some great facts about all the ways he sexually harassed his female employees and how he had to step down as the head of the American Library Association because he couldn't keep it in his pants. 

He had to step down because he sexually harassed his employees and colleagues.  (Horndog implies consent which...no).  So I was a little bummed at the Dewey costume since I think Amy would care. 

Otherwise, I loved the episode.  I thought Amy's Bonnie Bedelia was perfection...as were Holt's shirts.  I feel the pain over a John Kelly getting the job.  I feel it.  I wish they had kept Alison Tolman.  I liked her rivalry with Holt.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I disagree. I thought "New phone. Who dis?" was hilarious. I always liked Gina as a character and don't seem to share the same disdain for her that most folks do.

I thought Gina was great in this ep, but I don't usually like her. I should have paid attention to what the difference was this time. I guess for one thing, she was protecting Charles. And as far as Terry trying to get into Holt's laptop, Gina was pretty amusing.

16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

In 1998, Andre Braugher won an Emmy for best actor in a drama series for his portrayal of Frank Pembleton on Homicide:  Life on the Street.  It's a really excellent series and his character was just outstanding, not like any other cop on TV.  He deserved more than one Emmy for it.

Man, I wish that show would stream somewhere. I think I watched only one ep (where Vincent D'Onofrio is caught betw two trains, and moving them will kill him instantly).

• Love 5