Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E06: Aren’t Brochachos Just Adorable?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Mileage varies, I see nothing "sweet" about her... I just see "useless" and "crybaby".  Also, I'm not sure why Dan targeting her is being considered "unfair".  Who is he supposed to target?  Everyone always sits around talking about who they would vote out if they happen to lose the immunity challenge.  I don't see why he wouldn't want to target her.  Who else would he vote out?  He wants to keep Goliaths so he wouldn't target John or Alison.  He is friendly with Christian.  So why wouldn't he vote the physically weakest and emotionally unstable Gabby?  Why is it "unfair" for Dan to want Gabby out but not "unfair" for Gabby and Alison to discuss voting him out because he is a strong threat?

Yeah I completely agree with this. I like Gabby but I can't fault Dan for his reasoning. The fact is the game calls for people to be voted out and everyone has their own reasons for why they are more willing to vote for one person instead of another. And they're all valid in their own way.

I don't understand why people find it objectionable to see someone expressing their true feelings. I think it is one of the most healthy things people can do to maintain good mental health. Suppressing most any kind of negative feelings usually leads to having them "bottled up" and then erupting in some kind of harmful explosion later.

For the most part, I like Gabby and I'm fine with people expressing their feelings and getting teary in the game. But in my opinion, it is simply not a good look that most of her time so far, fighting in the game, has including crying and weeping and feeling sorry for herself. When Elizabeth and Lyrsa came to Gabby with the plan to go after Jessica, they couldn't even get to Jessica at first because immediately Gabby was weeping, "it's me, I know it's me". Then in her talk with Christian to confirm he was with her, it was all baby talk and whiny weepiness. Then she goes to Alison and starts off perfectly fine making a case for herself but immediately it was the tears and the "I'm so scared, etc." It just becomes a little much after awhile. I know they're all sleep deprived, hungry, desperately trying to win but the tears at every corner just becomes a little exhausting to watch. 

I also think we are seeing way too much of him.  He is eating the show and I find it irritating.

Maybe my opinion is skewed a bit from liking Christian but I really don't feel like we're seeing so much of him. For one, Tiva has been a challenge monster so they haven't been seen in the last half of the last three episodes or so. When they do show them, while there has been focus on the bros alliance, I feel like there's been more focus on Gabby's concern and panic over being in trouble. I honestly can't remember even seeing an talking head with Christian last week. It's possible there was but I just don't remember it. 

I think the season so far is doing a good job showing multiple players, story arcs and tribal dynamics, every episode. Like usually, viewers would be able to guess what tribe would lose based on the editing showing drama or a cocky, "we can't lose" attitude from a tribe. Last night, I didn't know which tribe would lose since we saw a set up for Elizabeth possibly being in trouble in her tribe, the Lyrsa and Angelina conflict in their tribe and Gabby pleading her case to Alison on Tiva, while Dan was being cocky about feeling solid in the game. I really don't feel like Christian is eating the show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Then she goes to Alison and starts off perfectly fine making a case for herself but immediately it was the tears and the "I'm so scared, etc." It just becomes a little much after awhile. I know they're all sleep deprived, hungry, desperately trying to win but the tears at every corner just becomes a little exhausting to watch. 

But in Alison's talking head, she said she was moved by Gabby's tears, making her more open to an alliance. I'm not saying Gabby did this on purpose, but it WORKED.

• Love 6

I'm guessing the reason Elizabeth has never mentioned her back pain before is she doesn't want to be perceived as weak. Back issues, especially on a show like Survivor, would be hell, since it prevents you from doing so much, not just in challenges but basic camp life. I'm sure Elizabeth thought that by mentioning back pain sooner is, if her tribe did lose and have to go to Tribal, Vuku could say, "Hey, let's just vote out Elizabeth! Easy vote for us, plus she won't have to suffer any more pain!"

I know if I was in Elizabeth's shoes, I for sure would be thinking and struggling with those thoughts. Plus, I don't think anyone gets to choose which season to compete in, beyond their initial auditions. I know Adam said he and his mother originally auditioned for Blood vs. Water, and were thisclose to being on that season, but were held off until he was offered a spot on Millennials vs. Gen X.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't recall Dan discussing this with Christian, did he?  Why would Dan care if Gabby got Jessica out?  Jessica was a David and it was before a tribe swap so I don't know why he would feel lied to by Christian.

You may well be correct. It might not have been Dan. But I recall Christian saying these things about Gabby to some of the other men. I guess I just assumed they could have gotten back to Dan.

Apologies.

49 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

In the interest of fairness, far as Christian and Nick were aware, Gabby WAS the one who orchestrated Jessica's ouster. If we remember accurately, Lyrsa and Elizabeth came to Gabby about going after Jessica, after Bi, Jessica, along with Christian and Nick were okay with the vote being for Lyrsa. Gabby then took the plan to go for Jessica to Christian, to rally him to their side, since he was her closest ally. Christian then, in a secret alliance with Nick, discussed the changing plan with Nick. So they don't know that it was Elizabeth who said, "Jessica is the glue holding Carl and Bi and Davie and if we get rid of her, we cut of a main source of that alliance's power". Because as far as they know, Gabby is the one who came to Christian and made that argument against Jessica. We saw the scene of Gabby talking to Christian about voting out Jessica and she didn't say, "Elizabeth thinks..." She said, "I think Jessica is the bigger threat because x, y, z..." So yeah, to Christian and Nick, Gabby did orchestrate Jessica's ouster. 

OMG! I guess I did miss something. I will have to watch that episode again. Thank you ever so much for the explanation. Much appreciated.

55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not overly enamored of Christian either. I get that the show thinks he's "good TV" but I think if I had to spend any length of time with him in person he would annoy the shit out of me. Maybe it's just all the talking heads he's getting, but I get the impression that he doesn't know when to shut up. 

The editors did make that point in the very first episode where they took an interview of Christian's that apparently went into excruciatingly lengthy detail about his puzzle solving and made little flash forward cuts to it to illustrate just how long it had gone on. They could have simply edited it down to the relevant parts, but by doing it the way they did, they were clearly making the point that Christian does not know when to shut up. 

People do appear to genuinely like him, so I don't think the editing is entirely creating this character of his, but it's sparing us hours of serious rambling, I'm sure.

• Love 6

I read Lyrsa ew.com exit interview and she is on good terms with Natalie. She said Ponderosa & the pre jury trip was fun and she liked everyone else. That said, she did have send Natalie a message about last nights final words. Awkward nine months later or how ever how long it's been. LOL!!!

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

<snip>

For the most part, I like Gabby and I'm fine with people expressing their feelings and getting teary in the game. But in my opinion, it is simply not a good look that most of her time so far, fighting in the game, has including crying and weeping and feeling sorry for herself. When Elizabeth and Lyrsa came to Gabby with the plan to go after Jessica, they couldn't even get to Jessica at first because immediately Gabby was weeping, "it's me, I know it's me". Then in her talk with Christian to confirm he was with her, it was all baby talk and whiny weepiness. Then she goes to Alison and starts off perfectly fine making a case for herself but immediately it was the tears and the "I'm so scared, etc." It just becomes a little much after awhile. I know they're all sleep deprived, hungry, desperately trying to win but the tears at every corner just becomes a little exhausting to watch. 

<snip>

Very understandable. And good reasoning too. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, plurie said:

But in Alison's talking head, she said she was moved by Gabby's tears, making her more open to an alliance. I'm not saying Gabby did this on purpose, but it WORKED.

Yes!  She is actually pretty strong and capable.  But her strategy is to make people feel sorry for her.  It's a little creepy.

During the tribal council, just after Angelina gave Nick the tongue bath and mentioned something about his "piercing blue eyes," there was this quick cut to Probst with the biggest puppy dog eyes expression I've ever seen.  He just can't get over his love of masculine competitors.

Poor Lyrsa.  Maybe Natalie will be OK outside of the game.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I’m officially claiming Christian as my Survivor boyfriend! I loved his detailed explanation of spear fishing. He’s so smart and funny and humble.

Not THAT smart.  I mean - and I’m sure it was just a case of Christian oversimplifying for brevity’s sake - but if you’re operating under the assumption a diving mask will help you BREATHE underwater, you’re going to be in for a very rude shock as soon as you get more than the snorkel’s length deep underwater.  ;>

16 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't think Nick had a choice there. Once Mike decided that he wouldn't vote for Angelina, it was either he fall in line or go to rocks. And I don't blame Nick for not wanting to take that chance, at that point in the game. 

It was absolutely clear Lyrsa was voting Angelina, and likewise Angelina was voting Lyrsa.  While neither Mike nor Nick wanted to vote against their original tribemate, the only way they could avoid drawing rocks against each other was to agree to both vote for one of either Angelina or Lyrsa.  Given that, here are some salient points to consider:

1. The Tribal Merge looms close on the horizon.
  2. Surviving-member-wise, both tribes are tied 7-7 prior to the coming TC vote.
  3. Regardless of who’s evicted, the end result will mean the same two things: the original tribe associated with the Angelina/Lyrsa vote survivor will acquire a 1-player majority edge, and whichever of Mike/Nick who voted against their original tribemate will have acquired an ingratiation edge with the opposite - and now majority - original tribe.

So - which presents statistically better odds for post-merge game longevity?  Mike ingratiating himself with a majority David alliance going forth, or Nick ingratiating himself with a majority Goliath alliance?  IMHO I suspect the latter.

16 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Okay, where did the random long gray sweater come from? Doesn’t that negate the whole jacket-gate storyline?

Angelina has had the gray sweater all along, but it’s a case of more style than substance; the sweater’s loose weave apparently doesn’t do much in the way of holding in body heat, and nothing at all when it gets wet.

10 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Elizabeth surprised me tonight. I had always previously thought she was one of the "Top Tier" players - an excellent strategic analyst. But letting her negative feelings be known now makes me think that she is actually in some Second Level Tier. 

Constant severe physical pain can short-circuit ANYBODY’S logical thought processes.  That possibly explains Elizabeth’s actions - but what explains Davie’s?  

If Davie had a problem with Elizabeth attempting to re-assemble the sleeping area bamboo so close to nightfall, the easiest thing to do would be to simply lay the split bamboo off to the side and pick up the task (or related discussion) the next morning.  Davie hauling the bamboo Elizabeth had just split out of camp - to gather up the fruits of her labor, solely to throw them away - was purely antagonistic, through and through.  And while increasing Elizabeth’s pain and frustration may have been strategy on Davie’s part, that doesn’t make it any less a dick move.

And now, a question of my own: if Elizabeth needs to sleep on spilt bamboo, but Davie (or anybody else, for that matter) has an issue with doing so - what’s to stop them from re-assembling part of the shelter floor as split bamboo, and let that reassembled portion be Elizabeth’s spot?

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

<snip>

Constant severe physical pain can short-circuit ANYBODY’S logical thought processes.  That possibly explains Elizabeth’s actions - but what explains Davie’s?  

If Davie had a problem with Elizabeth attempting to re-assemble the sleeping area bamboo so close to nightfall, the easiest thing to do would be to simply lay the split bamboo off to the side and pick up the task (or related discussion) the next morning.  Davie hauling the bamboo Elizabeth had just split out of camp - to gather up the fruits of her labor, solely to throw them away - was purely antagonistic, through and through.  And while increasing Elizabeth’s pain and frustration may have been strategy on Davie’s part, that doesn’t make it any less a dick move.

And now, a question of my own: if Elizabeth needs to sleep on spilt bamboo, but Davie (or anybody else, for that matter) has an issue with doing so - what’s to stop them from re-assembling part of the shelter floor as split bamboo, and let that reassembled portion be Elizabeth’s spot?

<snip>

You make some excellent points.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, himela said:

Is Christian the new Zeke, a good storyteller who doesn't win, or is he Adam, a good storyteller who does win?

Depends.  Let’s see if he wins.  ;D

Ok, serious now.  

Much as I like Christian - if the other players don’t bounce him before F4, then they’re fucking idiots and Christian deserves to win on that point alone.

• Love 6

I agree with everyone who is looking forward to Dan getting the boot.  I was thinking that he was starting to become tolerable but then he mentioned that he missed Kara and I realized that he's never going to shut up about his stupid showmance once the merge comes. (He seems like he would have been a better fit for Big Brother, where showmances and Bro-ing down are all the rage.) I really hope they don't all revert back to David and Goliath tribal lines when the merge comes. I find it so much more interesting when the original tribe divisions fall by the wayside.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You go right ahead and complain about Probst all you want. There's a way Jeff could "do his job" without being as smug, intrusive and annoying. See: Phil Keoghan.

Phil?  My boyfriend in my head?  I hope you are saying that Phil did not get the job because he is not like Jeff.

I agree that this is a great season.

Edited by jumper sage

Another fine episode in one of the best seasons in a LOOOONG time!

I'm sorry Lyrsa went but at least I understand the thinking behind it. Which is a tribute to this season's editing -- i.e., it's finally making sense again. (How many seasons have we suffered thru where it was just one thing happening after the other with no context, no back story, no nuthin'?)

Dan, 320 pound Dan called, he said stop talking about him, you're embarrassing both of you.

As most of you know, I've always defended Probst's patter during challenges as more than just his annoying personality but as a very real part of tearing down players' defenses. Well, fuck that, he was soooo annoying this episode. Tone it down, Jeffy.

Funny how most seasons no matter what shake-ups the producers try, the players stick to their initial alliances like grim death. This season, it seems like all it took was one tribal mix-up and so many of'em couldn't wait to drop their alliance and start making new ones! Which I love, of course.

Nothing much to say except keep it up, Survivor!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:
3 hours ago, plurie said:

Yes!  She is actually pretty strong and capable.  But her strategy is to make people feel sorry for her.  It's a little creepy.

I found that sequence pretty funny because of Alison's, "I am an extraordinarily empathetic person," confessional. It might be true, but it was an off-putting thing to say about herself. I don't think this is going to turn into a real alliance at all; it's just that Gabby thinks of herself as perpetually beleaguered and Alison thinks of herself as an unusually caring rescuer, so for at least that one conversation each of their self-images propped up the other's. It would be impressive if either one of them had done it intentionally, but it looked more like happenstance. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear another word about the Alison/Gabby/Christian alliance, particularly since Christian seems completely unaware of it.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 11

I don't know who's more tiresome: Nick with his stupid buddy movie alliance names or Christian with his studied, pretentious nerd persona. Almost looks like Christian pauses sometimes as if he's expecting some audience reaction to his "clever" proclamations. Hint, dude. There's no live studio audience. 

Well, one more annoying person. Gabby and her sad sack tears over the game. Get some backbone, child. There are things worth crying about. Alliances on Survivor don't qualify. 

These three are eating up my patience. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I adore Gabby and I've made that known many times.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I truly understand why several people feel that way. But I hope you won't mind if I state an alternate POV.

I don't understand why people find it objectionable to see someone expressing their true feelings. I think it is one of the most healthy things people can do to maintain good mental health. Suppressing most any kind of negative feelings usually leads to having them "bottled up" and then erupting in some kind of harmful explosion later.

I find Gabby's behavior to be very healthy and I wish that I could be even just a tiny fraction as honest about my feelings as Gabby is about hers. I think she is wonderful and if only I was 50 years younger .... Heh Heh Heh.

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Yes!  She is actually pretty strong and capable.  But her strategy is to make people feel sorry for her.  

Poor Lyrsa.  Maybe Natalie will be OK outside of the game.

I have no problem with Gabby. She breaks down when she is overwhelmed. It does not look like her tribe is coddeling her. No one is complaining about her not pulling her weight around camp or in challenges. She can’t help what the editors are showing.

TPTB are showing Christians more consistent attempts at fitting in, complete with non-stop conversation and Gabby’s struggles to fit in. It is a contrast.

i don’t think Gabby is crying as part of her strategy. I think that is Gabby when nervous. They have also shown her killing it at challenges. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm still not rooting for anyone. I mean, I'll follow Mike on account that he's a two-time Racer, but I know he's probably not going to make it to the end. Christian? I still feels like he lays his thing on too thickly. I'm not saying that he's not socially awkward . . . I'm a bit of the same way, to be honest. I'm not saying that him being touched at being a Brochacho is false. It's . . . I don't know. Like I said after the first episode, it's like he's auditioning for a "Real Life Sheldons" show.

I think he'll be out as soon as he loses an individual immunity challenge. They're too scared of his ability to solve puzzles. As soon as it doesn't benefit them, he'll be out.

21 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Elizabeth really lost it this week. She's lucky they didn't go to TC either. I cringed watching it....yet I relate. So hard. I've been struggling with an undiagnosed back problem for a year now. Dealing with chronic pain is the worst. I also have pretty bad anxiety and I have been known to just flip out and decide a project needs to be done NOW and nothing else matters. I don't like this about myself and I felt for Elizabeth, because her freak out was a big red flag to her tribe mates.

I have a lot of trouble believing someone who was "bedridden with pain a month ago," would have passed the doctor's inspection to be allowed to participate on the show.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm not sure why Dan targeting her is being considered "unfair". . . Why is it "unfair" for Dan to want Gabby out but not "unfair" for Gabby and Alison to discuss voting him out because he is a strong threat?

Yea, I don't get this either. I love Gabby and am largely indifferent about Dan, but still. It makes sense to me that he'd be targeting Gabby considering he clearly has no relationship with her. It is maybe a bit odd that he just ignored her and never tried to start one, but it's hard to know the reasons for that. I do find it strange they keep showing him mentioning targeting her though. I'm thinking (or maybe more like hoping) that it means she is instrumental in getting him booted. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I don't get this either. I love Gabby and am largely indifferent about Dan, but still. It makes sense to me that he'd be targeting Gabby considering he clearly has no relationship with her. It is maybe a bit odd that he just ignored her and never tried to start one, but it's hard to know the reasons for that. I do find it strange they keep showing him mentioning targeting her though. I'm thinking (or maybe more like hoping) that it means she is instrumental in getting him booted. 

Not to mention from Dan’s point of view, evicting Gabby makes strategic sense; her eviction binds Christian more tightly to the Brochachos.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is a really good point.  Lyrsa is transparent, honest, doesn't lie.  Pretty easy to work with if she likes you.  Did anything happen with her jacket?

I would have loved for Lyrsa, after her torch was snuffed, to turn and look Angelina in the eye, take the coveted jacket and dramatically toss it into the fire.

• Love 12

Ugh. This is sure looking like Naviti Strong. I totally fail to understand Mike's argument that the Goliaths will single-handedly hold him responsible for them being down a whopping one person in those elusive "the numbers." I also completely don't get that if he doesn't really trust Angelina, or her coterie, which includes not-that-hot cop Dan and Kara the real estate agent, why going with the Davids was such a bad thing. When your original tribe needs you because you are a number, they tend to be a little more forgiving. It's like Mike thinks he's playing on Cook Islands -- "mutineers are the first to die." But ... it's a swap! Mike is already acting like he was at the merge with that vote -- like he'd be seen as disloyal to ... a tribe that doesn't even exist anymore.

This season was going so well, but I'm not here for Goliath Strong, and I'm really disappointed that Mike thinks that's somehow a winning strategy. Who's his in back on Goliath? John the wrestler (Angelina's non-showmance)? Alec, who I'm not sure he's said two words to? His decision baffles me, and it's not because Angelina sets my teeth on edge (though I can't deny that's part of the reason).

• Love 5
On 10/31/2018 at 11:35 PM, Wandering Snark said:

Heh, backstory really was just that.

I have recently figured out that I have to read your posts more than once to get the jokes. Your name if very apt because it seems you wander around from topic to topic and inject these very funny snarks. I'm not trying to be a wise ass or anything. I find your posts to be highly entertaining.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, llongori said:

I would have loved for Lyrsa, after her torch was snuffed, to turn and look Angelina in the eye, take the coveted jacket and dramatically toss it into the fire.

Natalie, Natalia, and Lyrsa should sew all of their jackets together into a jacket quilt and ship it to Angelina's house - to be received after her stint on the show is done, of course.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Ugh. This is sure looking like Naviti Strong. I totally fail to understand Mike's argument that the Goliaths will single-handedly hold him responsible for them being down a whopping one person in those elusive "the numbers." I also completely don't get that if he doesn't really trust Angelina, or her coterie, which includes not-that-hot cop Dan and Kara the real estate agent, why going with the Davids was such a bad thing. When your original tribe needs you because you are a number, they tend to be a little more forgiving. It's like Mike thinks he's playing on Cook Islands -- "mutineers are the first to die." But ... it's a swap! Mike is already acting like he was at the merge with that vote -- like he'd be seen as disloyal to ... a tribe that doesn't even exist anymore.

This season was going so well, but I'm not here for Goliath Strong, and I'm really disappointed that Mike thinks that's somehow a winning strategy. Who's his in back on Goliath? John the wrestler (Angelina's non-showmance)? Alec, who I'm not sure he's said two words to? His decision baffles me, and it's not because Angelina sets my teeth on edge (though I can't deny that's part of the reason).

This. Just all of this. But Mike has struck me since earlier on as a very passive, scared player, so it didn't surprise me. I knew he was going to vote out Lyrsa. I wish we could've seen a bit more of Mike and Nick discussing it though because I wonder how much Nick pushed to boot Angelina.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

it is simply not a good look that most of her time so far, fighting in the game, has including crying and weeping and feeling sorry for herself. 

Honestly? I'm kind of sick of Gabby's weepiness.  I was on the verge of changing channels when she started in again Wednesday night.  Enough already!

ETA:  If I found myself in this situation....... I just don't deal well with stress, not at all, and that comes out in tears.  So they would be flowing freely. I'd like to think I would suck it up but in reality?  The whole tribe would come together to build me my own separate camp just to get rid of me and my tear-drenched drama.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Nashville said:

Not to mention from Dan’s point of view, evicting Gabby makes strategic sense; her eviction binds Christian more tightly to the Brochachos.

I'm not convinced Dan realizes how close Christian is to Gabby. We know that Christian is willing to throw Gabby utb with other players, so he may be keeping his closeness to her from the Brochachos. I guess it's possible Dan could pick up on it anyway, but considering it's Dan, I doubt it lol.

• Love 6

I didn't appreciate Christian saying that everyone like him dreams of becoming one of the social people. I AM someone like him and I find it's totally ok to hang out with people who are like me. I never felt the need to become a member of the social people, in the contrary, over social people make me uncomfortable.

• Love 8

I think maybe I zoned out and missed part of Christian's confessional. I thought he said his greatest fear was being ostracized, being without friends, etc.  I don't necessarily remember him specifically saying that it was his dream to hang out with the "cool" people. I'll have to go back and watch it again, I guess because I totally missed that part.  Not that it changes anything, I still think he's adorable either way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I think maybe I zoned out and missed part of Christian's confessional. I thought he said his greatest fear was being ostracized, being without friends, etc.  I don't necessarily remember him specifically saying that it was his dream to hang out with the "cool" people. I'll have to go back and watch it again, I guess because I totally missed that part.  Not that it changes anything, I still think he's adorable either way.

I don't remember the exact words, but there was definitely something in there about how he was finally getting to be one of the people he always wanted to be.  That those kinds of people never talked to him before and now he's one of them.

I found it sad because while it does seem that John and Dan have genuinely formed a bond with him, he with all of his intelligence would have to know it's probably only because of the situation they were thrown in together.   Back home, outside of the game, before Survivor, they probably wouldn't have become friends with him.  Post-Survivor, he's probably getting a lot of attention and now everyone wants to be friends with him because he is on Survivor and has some small degree of fame now, I suppose.

I find it sad because nobody should ever be afraid to be who they are.  It's fine to want to be popular, but the way he was all excited that he became friends with the Central Casting Survivor JeffySpecial Brohunks and that now he's finally who he always wanted to be... it's like he's saying that all the non-popular people that are like him in his "past life" are meaningless losers.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Agreed. I get super nervous every time he brings up her name, because I want to see more of her and am not intrigued by him at all. But I wouldn't call bringing her name up "unfair". Out of all the people on his tribe, I'm sure he'd trust her the least.

• Love 4
On 11/1/2018 at 2:51 AM, 30 Helens said:

Can someone explain to me why sleeping on split bamboo would be more comfortable than sleeping on unsplit bamboo? The side that contacts your body would still be just as rounded and bumpy as before.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:47 AM, MissBluxom said:

I'm just guessing. But maybe the rounded bamboo tends to move around a little more - maybe they roll around a little while the split ones stay firmly in place? Just a guess.

In Survivor:Vanauatu (men vs women), the women won a reward that was an island guide (named Da) to show them how to better survive. When they asked him about the bed, he showed/told them to split the bamboo like that. IIRC they said it was more comfortable after. 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:49 AM, AZChristian said:

If I had back troubles and needed to move bamboo from where I found it to where I needed it to be, I'd cut it down into pieces the finished length first and transport the smaller individual pieces, rather than dragging three-times-longer pieces through the main part of the camp.  Easier to maneuver, and much lighter.

Not to mention that she almost make poor Carl do a Skupin into the fire. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I found it sad because while it does seem that John and Dan have genuinely formed a bond with him, he with all of his intelligence would have to know it's probably only because of the situation they were thrown in together. 

I like to think the Brochachos are just as bemused to find themselves bonding with Christian as the other way 'round. And both Dan & John seem to be insecure guys at heart, so there might be more basis for a bond there than we think. 

And many of our bonds develop only because we were thrown together -- many years ago I remember reading about a study that said one of the most important factors in friendships and love relationships was ... proximity. How much more likely in an artificial high-stress situation like Survivor, where you not only depend on each other to move ahead in the game, but you're together 24/7 ?

Though I would love to see Dan and his 2 idols get blindsided, then maybe John and Christian can bring in Gabby and have a solid 3 going forward (I can dream, can't I?).

• Love 7
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm not convinced Dan realizes how close Christian is to Gabby. We know that Christian is willing to throw Gabby utb with other players, so he may be keeping his closeness to her from the Brochachos. I guess it's possible Dan could pick up on it anyway, but considering it's Dan, I doubt it lol.

Even Dan couldn’t help but notice that in the most recent tribal mixup, Christian and Gabby (a) were the only two David saplings in their particular Goliath forest, and (b) stuck pretty close together for that very reason, if no other.

• Love 1

Regarding the recent conversation about Christian’s “fitting in” talking head: I re-watched the episode tonight, and what I heard Christian say was that he has always worried about being ostracized, and he always wanted to be a person that people want to talk to. Not necessarily that cool people want to talk to, just someone who fits in in general, someone that other people like. But at the very end it changes a little when he talks about how he is turning into a Goliath; that part to me felt off from the rest of what he was saying. Like he was talking really honestly about this deep-rooted insecurity he has worked hard to  overcome, but then felt he had to tie it into the theme and it took a different tone. I probably read more into it than I should have, but that piece really hit home because I can really empathize with how that feels, now excuse me while I go call my therapist...

• Love 13
On 11/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

Thanks.  I hear so much talk about going to rocks on the show, but it happens so rarely that I didn't know the rules.  

This, and tie-breakers in general, sounded like something that ought to be added to the new FAQ thread.  So I made a suggestion entry for it.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, blackwing said:

I also think we are seeing way too much of him.  He is eating the show and I find it irritating.  Reminds me a lot of Adam Klein.  Adam was the irritating narrator of his season as well and he ended up winning.  Right now Christian does seem to have the story arc of personal development going for him.  "Self-proclaimed nerd who never fit in discovers his inner confidence and blossoms to win Survivor."

I see far more David Wright in Christian than I see Adam. David had a pretty similar story arc of personal development. Christian may even have similar "outwardly innocent, hiding in the shadows plotting your demise" game play.

• Love 4
On 10/31/2018 at 9:07 PM, Lantern7 said:

. Christian? I still feels like he lays his thing on too thickly. I'm not saying that he's not socially awkward . . . I'm a bit of the same way, to be honest. I'm not saying that him being touched at being a Brochacho is false. It's . . . I don't know. Like I said after the first episode, it's like he's auditioning for a "Real Life Sheldons" show.

Agree.  On the one hand I love Christian.  Listening to him has not gotten old for me.  One the other I'm  "what is going on here?"  Why the heavy handed nerd....edit? or act?

Look at him.  He has a pretty good body, nice arm musculature. Aththetic  coordinated.  Pretty cute.  Seems to be able to talk to people just fine.  Extremely successful.  Not sure why he isnt a Goliath actually.  . Is Dan a Goliath?  

Self identifying as a nerd is so trendy these days.  I watch a lot of celebrity interviews and talk shows and they all say - well I was a nerd

Right.   Saying it doesnt make it true

On 10/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, Haleth said:

I'm surprised Mike's name never came up as the vote since he's the one who basically gave up at the challenge. Yeah, they were toast anyway but the one who is the weak link that can't go on is usually the easy boot. 

Maybe I need to rewatch because I thought Angelina was having a lot of trouble with her grip and Lyrsa because of her height or lack thereof.  I do agree with whoever said he is playing a scared safe game and I agree with you in not understanding why his name hasnt come up yet.   But i think it will shortly after the merge

On 11/1/2018 at 2:54 AM, Melina22 said:

Christian is such an odd duck. If I didn't know better, I'd swear he was a fairly good looking actor pretending to be a nerd. 

I think about this a lot.  Seems to good to be true somehow.  

Biggest moment; Christian feeding Jon.  It is something you so often see romantic couples do in movies and on tv it seemed... shockingly intimate, my mouth sort of hit the floor for a second.  And they seemed to realize that it was way over the top.

Jon I think is a real sleeper.  Seems to be able to bond with everyone.

Allison..didnt someone comment on her being sort of Goliath bitchy when they where on the boat at the beginning?  Now Im confused.  Is she nice or not?

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Jon I think is a real sleeper.  Seems to be able to bond with everyone.

Allison..didnt someone comment on her being sort of Goliath bitchy when they where on the boat at the beginning?  Now Im confused.  Is she nice or not?

I agree about John. It's kinda crazy to me that it doesn't appear that people are seeing him as a big threat. I figured it's probably a testament to his social game that Dan seems to be discussed as a boot more than John. I think he has a great shot at winning. 

As for Allison, I think the poster who thought she was the initial Goliath bitch is misrembering. I'm pretty sure it was Angelina. I could go back and check because I still have the premiere ep on my tivo, but I'm not sure I care enough to do it lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 5:22 PM, fishcakes said:

I found that sequence pretty funny because of Alison's, "I am an extraordinarily empathetic person," confessional. It might be true, but it was an off-putting thing to say about herself. I don't think this is going to turn into a real alliance at all; it's just that Gabby thinks of herself as perpetually beleaguered and Alison thinks of herself as an unusually caring rescuer, so for at least that one conversation each of their self-images propped up the other's. It would be impressive if either one of them had done it intentionally, but it looked more like happenstance. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear another word about the Alison/Gabby/Christian alliance, particularly since Christian seems completely unaware of it.

I don't think they would include that scene if it wasn't going to turn into a real alliance.  

On 10/31/2018 at 10:39 PM, North of Eden said:

<snip> My Gabby love grows every week...the way she flew off the bench overjoyed knowing she was safe again. If we can just get her to the merge then there are bigger fish to fry and we will have the pleasure of her company deep into the season. <snip>

Yes .... Well ..... My admiration for NOE grows every week  ..... as well!    SO THERE!!

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, LanceM said:

I don't think they would include that scene if it wasn't going to turn into a real alliance.  

There have been plenty of alliance discussions that never came to anything, though.  And then we all make predictions and analyses based on these alliances and they don't pan out and there's no explanation and in the post-game interviews the players say "oh yeah that wasn't ever really a thing" and it's incredibly frustrating.  I just watched Second Chances so I'm thinking in particular of the 2nd-Takeo "alliance" of Kelley Wentworth, Kass, Keith, Ciera, and Joe, and the Women's Alliance of Kimmi, Tasha, Abi-Maria, and Kelley, both of which were, according to exit interviews, complete creations of the edit with no basis in reality.  Which is extremely annoying to me, but certainly fits with subsequent events, since nobody even pretended those alliances were real despite big elaborate scenes about them being created.

So who knows.  It might be for real, or it might be Alison being the Laurel of this season, and saying "I'm going to take out the power players....but not yet" every single episode.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

As for Allison, I think the poster who thought she was the initial Goliath bitch is misrembering. I'm pretty sure it was Angelina. I could go back and check because I still have the premiere ep on my tivo, but I'm not sure I care enough to do it lol.

The person who was targeted by some posters as having a negative reaction when the Davids boarded was identified strongly as a doctor which I believe is Allison.  Just Allison seemed to disappear from episode 2 on until this last episode so I could see how people thought it was Angelina.  Quite frankly I didn't know there was an Allison on the show until this episode.

Still loving Christian.  I want MORE Christian airtime, not less.  I also like that he and John have bonded and I like Nick and his multi-alliances of silly names.  Hope he pulls Mike over and the four work together somehow.  Gabby can join too if she stops crying every 2 seconds.  She is really getting on my nerves.

Like most people I'd like to see Angelina out but first I want to see Mr Two Idols blindsided out.

The third tribe of bamboo splitting infamy I just don't have much feelings towards one way or the other.  They are just there right now.  Could be because I don't hear any real game talk from them.  Just bad back talk.  Maybe after the merge someone from there will start standing out more for me if they step up and play the game more.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, Tdoc72 said:

In Survivor:Vanauatu (men vs women), the women won a reward that was an island guide (named Da) to show them how to better survive. When they asked him about the bed, he showed/told them to split the bamboo like that. IIRC they said it was more comfortable after. 

I imagine the split bamboo, with it's open side down, has more "give" to it than the solid round ones.

18 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Self identifying as a nerd is so trendy these days.  I watch a lot of celebrity interviews and talk shows and they all say - well I was a nerd

Yes, I think it's become a sort of humble brag that says, "I was really smart in school."    However, in Christian's case, I can imagine he truly was left out of the cool kids clique due to his blinking tic.  What I never understand is any lasting desire to be part of the popular (often shallow) group.  Christian is now probably the richest person at his high school reunion and I'm betting the loved ones episode will show us a very pretty girlfriend.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, green said:

The person who was targeted by some posters as having a negative reaction when the Davids boarded was identified strongly as a doctor which I believe is Allison.  Just Allison seemed to disappear from episode 2 on until this last episode so I could see how people thought it was Angelina.  Quite frankly I didn't know there was an Allison on the show until this episode.

Still loving Christian.  I want MORE Christian airtime, not less.  I also like that he and John have bonded and I like Nick and his multi-alliances of silly names.  Hope he pulls Mike over and the four work together somehow.  Gabby can join too if she stops crying every 2 seconds.  She is really getting on my nerves.

Like most people I'd like to see Angelina out but first I want to see Mr Two Idols blindsided out.

The third tribe of bamboo splitting infamy I just don't have much feelings towards one way or the other.  They are just there right now.  Could be because I don't hear any real game talk from them.  Just bad back talk.  Maybe after the merge someone from there will start standing out more for me if they step up and play the game more.

The doctor is Alison but the person who had a negative reaction to the Davids when they boarded (including a confessional) was Angelina.

• Love 4
On 11/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, marys1000 said:

Maybe I need to rewatch because I thought Angelina was having a lot of trouble with her grip and Lyrsa because of her height or lack thereof.  I do agree with whoever said he is playing a scared safe game and I agree with you in not understanding why his name hasnt come up yet.   But i think it will shortly after the merge

I remember it as you do. I thought that Angelina said, more than once, something about her hands bleeding and not being able to use them. It wasn't all Mike. 

I knew that team was doomed from the start, since they had 2 girls and 2 guys carrying the disc - and I think the other tribes were able to put 3 males on it. I don't mean to be sexist, but women just don't have the upper body strength that men do, and their tribe also had the scrawnier men. They were kind of doomed. 

• Love 3