Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E06: Aren’t Brochachos Just Adorable?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Christian is funny, he's the personality of the game (especially now with Natalie gone) and I get why he has so much camera time, but his neediness to be one of the bros is annoying.  His fawning over John is embarrassing, unless of course it's a strategy.  I hope we get a TH where he spells out how he intentionally flattered the bros and not that he was sincerely awestruck by them.

7 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

I can't be the only one who thinks that Dan is totally being set up for a fall.  He's twice boasted over how good of a game he's playing just because he has two idols, and not in any self-deprecating way, but in a completely self-congratulatory way.  That usually means a boot is coming your way, and sometimes sooner rather than later.

Lucky for him his team hasn't had to go to TC, forcing him to consider using the idols or not.  It remains to be seen how wisely he'll use them.  At least he's had the sense not to mention the second one to anyone.  Yet.

Lyrsa's exit remarks were perfect.

2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Also, if you're cutting them in two, wouldn't you only have to do half of them? 

That's what I thought, but splitting one would seem to take more effort than cutting down an extra tree.  It must be the rolling issue.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

My Carl-love moment was when Elizabeth, in her fury, nearly knocked him off his feet with the bamboo she was dragging.  Instead of getting mad, he calmly picked up the back end of it and helped her with it. God bless him, I wish I could be more like him.

The best part of this, imo, was that he actually did get kinda pissed about it and sorta shoved his butt onto the bamboo, but then he quickly just started helping her move it. It was so hilarious. Carl provides me endless, unexpected entertainment.

I'm upset because I'd rather see the Davids have the majority come merge time, I like Lyrsa a lot, and she's on my fantasy team. But, Angelina is a fun character so I'm not too broken up about her continuing.

Ugh, I love Gabby. It's so awesome to see someone who is obviously a huge neurotic mess be able to really kill challenges and make moves in the game. Her not wanting to rely on hope or just rely on Christian and going to Allison was great. I hope it works out.

The brochachos are starting to grate. I'm done with it now lol. I really need Allison/Gabby to enact a plan that ends in Dan booted with both idols.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

My Carl-love moment was when Elizabeth, in her fury, nearly knocked him off his feet with the bamboo she was dragging.  Instead of getting mad, he calmly picked up the back end of it and helped her with it. God bless him, I wish I could be more like him.

Same here.  When she first hit him with it, I just assumed he was going to grab it, throw it down and yell at her to watch it (which is what I, as a mature 40 year old, would have done) but Carl's obviously a much better dude than that. 

And I'm still bummed that my local boy, Nick, kept Angelina and her insanely unflattering gray pants over Lyrsa, who I think would have been loyal to him to the end.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

So Lyrsa says farewell with one of the funniest exit interviews ever...her biggest regret being having to sit next to Natalie at the reunion.  *dies laughing*

I was sad Angelina didn't get voted out but the send of by Lyrsa kind of made up for it. It so cracked me up. I've never seen someone bring that up (along with having to see them at Ponderosa). It was awesome

• Love 5
10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Editors did fool me tonight though because usually when they reveal hidden backstory (in this case the cowgirl's back issues) its usually the kiss of death as they have to get that out there before the person goes home.

100% this. I had with confidence explained to my 12 year old that obviously purple was not losing the immunity challenge--it was obviously green or orange because we'd seen conflict for both and really nothing for purple. I remained convinced that orange would so screw up the puzzle that purple somehow came back. . . and I was completely wrong. Nice job editors.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

My issue with Elizabeth is that the way the situation played out in the episode, made it seem like she never actually discussed her back issue with the tribe before. And so while I felt for her because I've had mild back pain and know how uncomfortable that is, so can't imagine pain so bad I can't even walk and then having to come on a show and sleep on hard bamboo, her not being open about the situation just made her eventual blow up come across like a tantrum to the other players. I cannot imagine that if Elizabeth had calmly shared the situation with the tribe and explained why the shelter needed to be changed, they wouldn't have helped her.  Carl, Davie, Alex and Kara all seem like nice and cool enough people. But she endured it until she basically snapped because she was in so much pain and discomfort and it just caused the situation to be a bigger issue than it needed to be. 

Oh, I 100% agree. I related Elizabeth in that moment. I'm the type to hold things until I snap. I don't like to seem weak or ask for help. None of it was the mature or appropriate way to handle the matter, so I'm definitely not excusing any of it. I just, unfortunately, get it. Because I'm the exact same way. :(

8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

What I've never understood is why anyone with bad back issues would even go on this show.  I have many reasons why I wouldn't, but back issues and some other physical issues are a large part of it.  There is no way I'd ever be able to sleep on a bunch of bamboo or wood.  I'm thinking there had to be more to the whole blow up, but then again, Elizabeth seems like she could fly off the handle pretty easily.  It's probably why I've been impressed with how she's played the game.

How far in advance do they pick them? I'm wondering if she was already set to come out when the back issue reared its ugly head? 

But otherwise, yea - I agree. I've been dealing with horrible back/nerve pain for the past year and I've turned down way less challenging things than Survivor. You have to know your limitations. 

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Honestly, this felt more like Elizabeth had complained about the bed and the tribe has discussed fixing it but it has not been done. Elizabeth was trying not to "whine" and dictate what the tribe should do but no one was working on something that was a priority for her. Elizabeth finally said screw it and started to work on the project solo and Carl and Davie were pissed off because Elizabeth interrupted their naps.

I really don't think she mentioned the back issue at all. but I do imagine they probably discussed the bed in terms of it bothering EVERYONE, and talked about possible solutions to fix at some point. I bet if Elizabeth had relayed how badly it was affecting HER, they may have made it more of a priority. 

1 hour ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Does it seem like John and Christian are becoming the tighter pair amongst the Brochachos (and that feels really stupid typing that word out)?    I had forgotten what they were joking about but John was actually almost giggling.   It just seemed sweet and real.    I think Christian is playing a brilliant game.  He's self effacing, humble, social, etc.    I love him.

I definitely get this impression. They just seem to click. I'd like to see John dump Dan after the merge and stick with Christian. I really like seeing "odd couples" pairing up in this game. 

• Love 4

Somebody help me out here...Who found a clue about an idol that would be hidden during a challenge with directions on where it would be? Was it Carl on Exile Island with directions to the Idol Nullifier? Or was it Dan's second idol?  Did I just dream this? Nothing else has been said about it...or I missed it, if it was.

Just now, lisette said:

Somebody help me out here...Who found a clue about an idol that would be hidden during a challenge with directions on where it would be? Was it Carl on Exile Island with directions to the Idol Nullifier? Or was it Dan's second idol?  Did I just dream this? Nothing else has been said about it...or I missed it, if it was.

It was Dan, and he successfully grabbed it during the challenge -- so it's his second idol.

Two thoughts:

- Christian is totally using his likability as a strategy.  He's a puzzle whiz.  Getting further in the game is like a puzzle for him.  He looks at the end result and figures out step-by-step how to get there.  I love him.

- If I had back troubles and needed to move bamboo from where I found it to where I needed it to be, I'd cut it down into pieces the finished length first and transport the smaller individual pieces, rather than dragging three-times-longer pieces through the main part of the camp.  Easier to maneuver, and much lighter.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, lisette said:

Wow how did I miss that? I didn't even know that he got it...Thanks!!

It wasn't as dramatic as when Wentworh or Troyzan grabbed their HII at the challenge. I'm not sure why but it was very low key. Dan just stepped back while the challenge was going on and grabbed it. Even the music was kind of low key. IMO!

• Love 3

I don't know what to make about Christian.  I like his enthusiasm for the game, but I just felt so sad for him when he was practically crying that he's finally getting to be the person he always wanted to be.  That back in high school, he was never friends with the buff goodlooking jocks, they always stuffed him into a locker and threw him into a cold shower, but now here he ACTUALLY gets to talk to some of these rare species and be treated as a friend by them!  Ugh.  It was hard to watch.  Wish he would have more self-esteem.

I just can't tolerate Gabby.  She is beyond irritating.  Cries and whines about everything.  I get that she's an insecure person.  She is a weak personality who like Christian also seems to have very low self-esteem.  But unlike Christian, she doesn't seem to be conquering her insecurities.  The game just seems to magnify them and make them worse.  I always used to hate on the early seasons of Amazing Race when we would have the requisite separated couple who is trying to see if they can get back together, and that the Race would challenge them to work together blah blah blah.  Same thing here.  It seems that maybe Gabby went on Survivor for the challenge to see if she can grow stronger?  Because nothing about her says that she would be even remotely cut out for the physical, mental and emotional demands.  I just really don't think that Survivor is a time for her to try and "discover herself".  

I was actually wondering if the purple tribe would have been better off keeping Natalie last week instead of Lyrsa.  They really struggled with that saucer.  Natalie looked overweight but she looks like she was a lot physically stronger than either Lyrsa or Angelina.  I was wondering why Nick and Mike were next to each other in carrying the saucer instead of across from each other to more evenly distribute the weight.  But then I figured that Mike is probably not much stronger than either Lyrsa or Angelina.

10 hours ago, princelina said:

Yeah you wouldn't have thought so, but actually they have everything they need - 2 of their guys are big and strong; the scrawny one is a puzzle genius.  Their women are both smart - one small for when you need to carry her weight, the other one strong and tall enough to help the big guys out with strength challenges.  They're kind of the perfect tribe.

Agreed.  And not only that, but they have the two strongest guys in the whole game, and what appears to be the book-smartest guy.  They definitely got lucky with the tribe division, assuming it wasn't rigged.  So they won the cooking implements and spices and kebabs this week. 

Was it the orange tribe that won the chickens last week?  How come we didn't see anything about the chickens?  Because bad backs and bamboo make for more interesting TV?  Usually there's always some debate about whether to eat one or not.  Did people complain about the (off camera) neck chopping that we used to see in the past?  And that's why the fate of the chickens has been a mystery this season?  It wasn't too long ago that Tai was bemoaning the tribe killing the chickens. 

7 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Jeff was an incredible pain in the ass. I usually complain loudly and often about Jeff. Several things he does really get on my nerves and he was doing all those things tonight at full volume. I kept hoping he would ask someone one of his typical semi-thoughtless questions and they would reply, "Don't you ever shut the fuck up, asshole?"  I honestly thought Mike was thinking precisely that at the TC. You could see some thought like that going through his mind when he paused before he answered one of Jeff's questions.

Just non-stop drivel from Jeff.  Drivel and Dribble.  The worst line of the night was when Jeff kindly informed us that one tribe had just "literally" dropped their saucer and lost all their water. I felt like strangling the jerk. Is there some other way to drop a saucer full of water? Can it be done in a "figurative" sense?  Can it be done "metaphorically"?   I better stop before I come across as a total jerk.  I complained about Jeff a few weeks ago and someone here correctly chastized me saying, "he was just doing his job". OK. I can accept that.  But at some point, it just gets to be too much - much too much!

I apologize to all of the Jeff fans. I realize that when it comes to Jeff, there are far more fans than there are critics. But I just can't contain myself after seeing this episode. I've never seen Jeff behave in a more outrageous manner. I'm just happy he didn't say anything truly offensive about Lyrsa. I kept expecting to hear him say something truly awful - LITERALLY AWFUL!!!

Joining you on the Jeffy Hate Train.  I have loathed Jeffy for years.  I hate his blatant favouritism, I hate the way he "almost literally" slobbers all over just about every BroDude that has competed on the show, I hate his unnecessary commentary, I hate his manipulation at tribal council.  Above all, I just hate the fact that he always seems so very pleased with himself all the time.  There's always this air about him that Survivor is curing cancer and "wait until you see what happens this week, it is just glorious and in all of the years in the game, something that has never happened and I'vegotasecret don'tyouwishyouknewit nyahnyahnyah".  STFU already.  I actually loved last week when he once again was trying to put words into people's mouths about how both Mike and Angelina said they had a problem with Natalie, and Natalie challenged him by saying something like "excuse me?  That's not what they said".

• Love 5

John and Christian are winning Cutest Couple this season. Feeding each other, talking about their shared love of dancing, giggling. I'll be disappointed if one of them doesn't propose marriage to the other at the reunion.

And Elizabeth gets Best Confessional for baring her teeth at the camera, going back to a normal face, and then baring her teeth again. I died when she was dragging the bamboo out of the jungle and almost knocked Carl over. His "what the ... oh, it's her," reaction killed me. I love them both and I'm sorry they'll probably never work together.

I don't think it makes much difference whether the bamboo is split or not because that bamboo was old and hard. There was a reward one season that was a visit from a local person who showed the tribe how to make their bed more comfortable by splitting bamboo, but they were using green bamboo. When you split green bamboo, it flattens out completely and provides a little bit of cushion. Splitting hard bamboo would make it a little less bumpy, but probably not enough to be worth the effort. Even so, I thought it was kind of assy for Davie to fight Elizabeth so hard about splitting it since she was the one doing it. It looked like at one point he even removed the piece she'd already split from the shelter and threw it back in the jungle.

I like Lyrsa, but I'm okay with Angelina staying because her closest allies are gone, no one trusts her, and yet she thinks she's running things. She's one of those people you want to see get close to the end and then get booted, preferably in an episode where she's given several smug confessionals about how she's got the game in the bag.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 20
16 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

John and Christian are winning Cutest Couple this season. Feeding each other, talking about their shared love of dancing, giggling. I'll be disappointed if one of them doesn't propose marriage to the other at the reunion.

This a hundred times!  I always fall for the nerdy Christian types, but this is the first time I've found someone like John absolutely adorable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

Same here.  When she first hit him with it, I just assumed he was going to grab it, throw it down and yell at her to watch it (which is what I, as a mature 40 year old, would have done) but Carl's obviously a much better dude than that. 

And I'm still bummed that my local boy, Nick, kept Angelina and her insanely unflattering gray pants over Lyrsa, who I think would have been loyal to him to the end.

Yeah, I hate Angelina, but I also think it was bad strategy to keep her around.  They can't trust her.  She will start scheming as soon as the merge happens and loyalty will mean nothing.  She will only stick with Mike and Nick if she thinks it is best for her game.   Lyrsa seems a lot more trustworthy and less of strategic or challenge threat.   

• Love 12

I really don't get the Carl love. I mean I don't hate him or anything, I'm neutral but I feel like I must be watching a different character. I also thought he picked up the bamboo when Elizbeth was dragging it not out of any generosity of spirit or to be helpful but because it was knocking into him. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get the love. 

I like this season but this is either the weepiest group or I am getting colder as the seasons go by. I'm at the point where when someone gets teary eyed I mute it just in case, so I missed Elizabeth's back explanation, bc I thought she was going to cry. Then Mike getting weepy after the challenge. It's just too much. The thing is , I'm sure some it is just prolonged stress and deprivation, bc I have been in those states and have experienced weepiness, but I just find it boring and annoying to watch usually. I think I'm burnt out because it has really become a thing, the teary heartfelt confessionals and personal my life has changed moments. Survivor has pushed it too much and now I hate any sign of crying. 

Also yeah shut the fuck up Jeff. I wish he was forced to go through every challenge to make sure it was show worthy or something. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4

Was this the first time Probst didn't say, "Do you wanna know what you're playing for?" ("Nah Jeff, surprise us when the challenge is over.") before a reward challenge?  

Just now, cleo said:

I really don't get the Carl love. I mean I don't hate him or anything, I'm neutral but I feel like I must be watching a different character. I also thought he picked up the bamboo when Elizbeth was dragging it not out of any generosity of spirit or to be helpful but because it was knocking into him. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get the love. 

I like this season but this is either the weepiest group or I am getting colder as the seasons go by. I'm at the point where when someone gets teary eyed I mute it just in case, so I missed Elizabeth's back explanation, bc I thought she was going to cry. Then Mike getting weepy after the challenge. It's just too much. The thing is , I'm sure some it is just prolonged stress and deprivation, bc I have been in those states and have experienced weepiness, but I just find it boring and annoying to watch usually. I think I'm burnt out because it has really become I thing, the teary heartfelt confessionals and personal my life has changed moments. Survivor has pushed it too much and now I hate any sign of crying. 

Also yeah shut the fuck up Jeff. I wish he was forced to go through every challenge to make sure it was show worthy or something. 

I'm not as into Carl as many seem to be either.  I did think he handled getting whacked with the bamboo very well, though.  He looked understandably annoyed, at first, but then he helped her carry it.  He could have escalated Elizabeth's little tantrum, but instead he helped diffuse it.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

This a hundred times!  I always fall for the nerdy Christian types, but this is the first time I've found someone like John absolutely adorable.

This season benefits from the fact that so many of the "Goliaths" are not asshats. Some of the initial responses to the David's was annoying and the initial commentary was obnoxious but every episode past that initial impression points to some pretty decent human beings. I don't expect everyone to love each other but I am happy to see that even thee folks who are not allied are being civil to each other. Gabby did not say that Dan was being awful to her but that he wouldn't talk strategy with her. Natalie has been the villain of the season and, for the most part, she was a control freak who was over bearing and could not read an audience if you handed her notes in 40 point font. Natalia was clearly jealous and worried but not awful.

I have been enjoying Jon and Christian. I feel like Christian is being a bit needy in his own way, not tears but lots of dialogue and time with the bros. I do think they are over playing Christian, they could shorten some of his geeky explanations. Alone, they are fine and fun in the moment but at the end of the episode I find myself burnt out on Christian.

• Love 10

I am listening to Rob Has a Podcast and there is confusion as to what would happen with a tie vote at 4 this early in the game. Stephen said he thought it was a four person rock draw. Rob thought it was a two person rock draw. Then there was discussion if it turned into a fire making challenge between the two who had received votes. So I am not sure what the tie break is.  I have no idea where the four person rock draw came from, I thought it was a two person rock draw but I could see the fire making challenge.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ProfCrash said:

I am listening to Rob Has a Podcast and there is confusion as to what would happen with a tie vote at 4 this early in the game. Stephen said he thought it was a four person rock draw. Rob thought it was a two person rock draw. Then there was discussion if it turned into a fire making challenge between the two who had received votes. So I am not sure what the tie break is.  I have no idea where the four person rock draw came from, I thought it was a two person rock draw but I could see the fire making challenge.

In a 2 person rock draw, which 2 would draw rocks, the 2 with votes or the 2 without votes?

5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

In a 2 person rock draw, which 2 would draw rocks, the 2 with votes or the 2 without votes?

Rock draws normally require the people who could not break the tie to draw rocks, so the two without votes are drawing the rocks.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Bad move boys.  Angelina will target both of you to ingratiate herself back with the Goliaths.

As a fellow nerd, I understand Christian being flattered by the Bros.  Don't let it go to your head dude.  They are trying to use you.  The Bros.  always do.

Peachy's play by play in this challenge will be in his Top 10 reel of how extremely annoying and obnoxious he can be.

Lyrsa was amazing in her exit.  

Angelina is not as savvy as Parvati was, but she reminds me a bit of her. I hope Nick and Mike do stick together and that the D vs G is now history.

I am loving Christian and his scientific explanations. He is adorable and endearing and just plain cool. He does not need to hang with the bros to be cool. But I too understand what he means by wanting to be one of the cool guys. I hope he does not let that cloud his judgement. He is doing very well in challenges and is so very likeable.. A real threat to win, which makes me nervous for him.

I never was bothered by Jeff's narration of the challenges. But in this episode, he really got on my nerves. It's like dude, these challenges are already tough enough, you really have to pile it on? His constant talking must really mess with the contestants concentration.

Lyrsa's last words had me crack up!

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

Angelina is not as savvy as Parvati was, but she reminds me a bit of her. I hope Nick and Mike do stick together and that the D vs G is now history.

I am loving Christian and his scientific explanations. He is adorable and endearing and just plain cool. He does not need to hang with the bros to be cool. But I too understand what he means by wanting to be one of the cool guys. I hope he does not let that cloud his judgement. He is doing very well in challenges and is so very likeable.. A real threat to win, which makes me nervous for him.

I never was bothered by Jeff's narration of the challenges. But in this episode, he really got on my nerves. It's like dude, these challenges are already tough enough, you really have to pile it on? His constant talking must really mess with the contestants concentration.

Lyrsa's last words had me crack up!

What exactly did Lyrsa say? I couldn't understand it while watching it.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Rock draws normally require the people who could not break the tie to draw rocks, so the two without votes are drawing the rocks.

Thanks.  I hear so much talk about going to rocks on the show, but it happens so rarely that I didn't know the rules.  

10 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

My concern is that if there is a merge soon (and I would have to think it is soon, we have one really all-around strong and smart tribe with 5 people, one OK tribe with 5 people, and one pathetically weak tribe with 3 people) that Nick, Mike and Angelina will stick together, because they basically have no one else left.  Angelina's main ally Natalia is gone.  Mike basically has no one except for Nick.  He never seemed to form a bond with anyone on Goliath except for Jeremy.  Nick seemingly had alliances with everyone but he's been gone from all of them for a while now.  I could easily see Nick Mike and Angelina making a run for final three.

I despise just about everything about Angelina and want her gone as soon as possible.  I think of Mike as a weak character.  I don't know why he was on Goliath in the first place.  Just because he's D-list famous and wrote "School of Rock" and makes lots of money?  He doesn't have the personality of a Goliath.  He is a weak follower and doesn't seem to be in control of his game.  Nick has driven those last two boots.

I like Nick well enough but I don't like the other two.

4 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

What exactly did Lyrsa say? I couldn't understand it while watching it.

It was something about how her biggest regret is that she's going to have to sit next to Miss Natalie at the reunion.  Pretty funny.

• Love 4

I was actually wondering if the purple tribe would have been better off keeping Natalie last week instead of Lyrsa.  They really struggled with that saucer.  Natalie looked overweight but she looks like she was a lot physically stronger than either Lyrsa or Angelina.  I was wondering why Nick and Mike were next to each other in carrying the saucer instead of across from each other to more evenly distribute the weight.  But then I figured that Mike is probably not much stronger than either Lyrsa or Angelina.

Natalie said something in an post-season interview about getting injured in the first challenge and being in pain during her whole stay. That, plus the fact that the extent of her willingness to work seemed to be standing back "supervising" the others, I sincerely doubt Natalie being there would have helped them. 

The best part of this episode was Lyrsa's exit speech, 'I'll have to sit next to Natalie at the reunion'. Lol!

they made a mistake keeping Angelina, she will sell anybody out for a jacket. 

I laughed out loud at Lyrsa's parting words. Echoes of comments that were made here last week about feeling sorry for the next boot having to travel with Natalie AND Natalia (and Jeremy, since he doesn't get along with the other two.) That will be one miserable "vacation" for all.

I also tend to think keeping Angelina will turn out to be a mistake for Nick and Mike. I do get Mike's reasoning about trying to keep the Goliath majority and I also understand Nick's unwillingness to go to rocks once Mike dug in, but I don't see Angelina sticking with those two once she's back in the mix with everyone else.

Veggie kabobs and jalepenos?  Lame reward.  They need protein (and I hate most vegetables).  No mention of the chickens.  Or the eggs  :)

As a fellow nerd, I understand Christian being flattered by the Bros.  Don't let it go to your head dude.  They are trying to use you.  The Bros.  always do.

Yeah, I kinda wondered about the veggie kabobs, it seemed a little odd that they wouldn't throw a little meat in there. And jalapeños are just the worst idea ever. Stomachs that are already thrown out of whack from not eating plus a food that's as hot on the way out as is on the way in? Bad, bad idea.

I can't decide how I feel about Christian with the bros. On the one hand, I do think his obvious eagerness to be part of the cool kids makes him ripe for the picking as far using him, BUT I also think that John and Dan are both a bit awkward on the inside and actually nice guys. John has talked about his insecurities and Dan is constantly talking about his fat years, so they weren't necessarily alpha males in their pasts. I think Christian's constant nerd-rambling probably gets a little old, especially in such close quarters, but they do seem to like him.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

My concern is that if there is a merge soon (and I would have to think it is soon, we have one really all-around strong and smart tribe with 5 people, one OK tribe with 5 people, and one pathetically weak tribe with 3 people) that Nick, Mike and Angelina will stick together, because they basically have no one else left.  Angelina's main ally Natalia is gone.  Mike basically has no one except for Nick.  He never seemed to form a bond with anyone on Goliath except for Jeremy.  Nick seemingly had alliances with everyone but he's been gone from all of them for a while now.  I could easily see Nick Mike and Angelina making a run for final three.

I despise just about everything about Angelina and want her gone as soon as possible.  I think of Mike as a weak character.  I don't know why he was on Goliath in the first place.  Just because he's D-list famous and wrote "School of Rock" and makes lots of money?  He doesn't have the personality of a Goliath.  He is a weak follower and doesn't seem to be in control of his game.  Nick has driven those last two boots.

I like Nick well enough but I don't like the other two.

It was something about how her biggest regret is that she's going to have to sit next to Miss Natalie at the reunion.  Pretty funny.

Too funny! Sitting next to her at the reunion would be bad. Although, wouldn't going on a pre jury trip to Australia be worse? Yikes!

10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Too funny! Sitting next to her at the reunion would be bad. Although, wouldn't going on a pre jury trip to Australia be worse? Yikes!

Lyrsa also said "and I have to go be with her now." LOL!

• Love 5

I figured out what was so amusing about Lyrsa.  No matter what happened, no matter what was going on, she kind of had the same affect.  Like kind of annoyed, but not too much.  She never seemed angry or depressed, just kind of always the same.  Whether people were trying to get her coat, or trying to get her to vote out her tribemates, or if there was a cyclone, no matter what.  Even when she was voted off the show.  There's something really funny about that.

I don't like Angelina, but I like how she mentioned that her and Lyrsa were both Latinas (and even more amusing that Lyrsa didn't care at all.)  I guess the cast is pretty diverse this season.  (For Survivor).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The best part of this, imo, was that he actually did get kinda pissed about it and sorta shoved his butt onto the bamboo, but then he quickly just started helping her move it. It was so hilarious. Carl provides me endless, unexpected entertainment.

He's like the Dalai Lama of Survivor.  I was excited we might see some negative emotions.  But it didn't really last long or amount to much.  

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I'm OK with them, as long as I never hear the phrase, "Brochacho Strong".  

Bryce! I don't know how you did this. But I sure do wish I knew. It seems as if - overnight - you found a secret to comedy gold. SERIOUSLY! 

IMHO, your "humor level" has somehow instantly shot right off the chart.  For the longest time, you used to be so "steady". What happened?

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Yeah, I hate Angelina, but I also think it was bad strategy to keep her around.  They can't trust her.  She will start scheming as soon as the merge happens and loyalty will mean nothing.  She will only stick with Mike and Nick if she thinks it is best for her game.   Lyrsa seems a lot more trustworthy and less of strategic or challenge threat.   

This is a really good point.  Lyrsa is transparent, honest, doesn't lie.  Pretty easy to work with if she likes you.  Did anything happen with her jacket?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'll argue that he's B list..... LOL.  He's produced/directed pretty big movies also and created an entire, critically acclaimed series for HBO.  He was totally in control of this last vote - every single person wanted to work with him - so I disagree.  I think if Nick had driven the vote he'd pick Angelina, but just personal opinion.

• Love 5

In the early scenes where Mike, Lyrsa, and Nick were talking about whether Angelina was trustworthy, I noticed she was cutting into a coconut with a kitchen knife, not a machete.  I was wondering when they got it.  

Then they had the reward challenge where both winning teams got kitchen tools, meaning that I knew the purple team won at least one of the rewards, and the editors put the scenes out of order to mislead us, and they did it lazily, so I was irritated.  

On the other hand, I found the editing of the possible bootees on each tribe fairly even-handed--on green, will it be Gabby, or will Allison go for getting out the idol?  On orange, will Elizabeth irritate them enough to go for her?  On purple, will Mike get over Angelina's untrustworthiness and stay with Goliath?

You all have let me down--I told my son "I predict that there will be at least three posts saying 'at least I don't have to look at Lyrsa's nose ring any more,'" and nary a one yet!  (for the record, I would have put up with seeing the ring in order to get Angelina out, but oh well!)

With regard to Jeff's chatter, I feel his constant prattle has been there for many, many seasons, but over the last four or five I've noticed that his delivery has gotten more and more--I don't know how to describe it.  He gets a certain fulsome, smarmy tone in his voice, overly dramatic (not so much during the heat of the challenges, but in the intros).  I don't remember it being quite as pronounced earlier than that.  

Amaaaaazing "Fishnado" near the beginning.  We actually rewound to see it again.  Too far out for Christian to find.  He never wore flippers before?  And I laughed even before Gabby did at his nose tip pressed against the face mask.  

Mileage obviously varies, but I think his overanalysis, etc., is who he is, not put on or exaggerated for the show.  Of course editors choose how much to show us.  And I don't see him as Cochran-like at all because he's a science nerd (and obviously a successful one) and Cochran was not (wasn't he in law school, then became a show writer?).  Different nerd species to me.  Now, my husband went from physics to patent law, so I admit there can be hybrids!   

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is a really good point.  Lyrsa is transparent, honest, doesn't lie.  Pretty easy to work with if she likes you.  Did anything happen with her jacket?

She was asked about that in interviews. She has it with her at home and very much loves said jacket.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Mileage obviously varies, but I think his overanalysis, etc., is who he is, not put on or exaggerated for the show.  Of course editors choose how much to show us.  And I don't see him as Cochran-like at all because he's a science nerd (and obviously a successful one) and Cochran was not (wasn't he in law school, then became a show writer?).  Different nerd species to me.  Now, my husband went from physics to patent law, so I admit there can be hybrids!   

I fully agree. I tend to like him in his various scenes but find that I have Christian fatigue at the end of the episode. Cochran was always annoying and never someone I rooted for but I want to Christian to do well. I am not sure if I want him to win though. Not sure why, probably because of the over saturation of Christian in the show. And I think I want to see him actually do some maneuvering in the game. He has done a good job integrating himself into his new tribe but there has not been much pressure on him game wise because they have been winning. So we are getting the Christian finding himself as a human story line but not much game story line. Gabby is also getting a Gabby finding herself as a human story line but we are seeing her worry more about her position in the game and directly strategizing. I guess I would like to see more evidence of Christian talking game with Jon and Dan then just Broing out. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there has not been much game talk with Dan but I am not so sure about Jon.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, North of Eden said:

.......   I get a knot in my stomach every episode when Dan unfairly targets sweet little Gabby.   .......

I may be mistaken about this. But I believe the reason Dan does this is because he was lied to by Christian. In a move that I found totally perplexing, in a previous episode, Christian tried to throw Gabby under the bus (at least it seemed that way to me), by telling people she was responsible for Jessica's eviction.

I feel that I must be mistaken because it just makes no sense. It seems so obvious that Christian has genuine feelings for Gabby. I can't believe that he would try to harm her game like that.

And yet, it seems pretty clear that he did that.  I just don't understand. I must have missed something or I must have failed to understand something.

Can anyone explain why Christian would have said these harmful things about Gabby if he truly likes her?

Editors are still working overtime to make Christian the "Next Cochran" and I have no idea why.  Not sure what's worse...a contestant being force fed down our throats with countless confessionals compared to everyone else or a complete non-enitity like Cowboy Rick a few years ago.

I'm not overly enamored of Christian either. I get that the show thinks he's "good TV" but I think if I had to spend any length of time with him in person he would annoy the shit out of me. Maybe it's just all the talking heads he's getting, but I get the impression that he doesn't know when to shut up. 

The worst line of the night was when Jeff kindly informed us that one tribe had just "literally" dropped their saucer and lost all their water. I felt like strangling the jerk. Is there some other way to drop a saucer full of water? Can it be done in a "figurative" sense?  Can it be done "metaphorically"?   I better stop before I come across as a total jerk.  I complained about Jeff a few weeks ago and someone here correctly chastized me saying, "he was just doing his job". OK. I can accept that.  But at some point, it just gets to be too much - much too much!

You go right ahead and complain about Probst all you want. There's a way Jeff could "do his job" without being as smug, intrusive and annoying. See: Phil Keoghan.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

I may be mistaken about this. But I believe the reason Dan does this is because he was lied to by Christian. In a move that I found totally perplexing, in a previous episode, Christian tried to throw Gabby under the bus (at least it seemed that way to me), by telling people she was responsible for Jessica's eviction.

I feel that I must be mistaken because it just makes no sense. It seems so obvious that Christian has genuine feelings for Gabby. I can't believe that he would try to harm her game like that.

Nick and Christian were perfectly willing to blame Gabby for Jessica's ouster back at their camp. We saw Nick talking to Bi, Davie and Carl about Jessica's departure but there were  scenes where Christian was doing the same thing. Those scenes were shorter but there was the longer scene with Christian and Nick discussing how Gabby was getting the blame and they should continue to allow that to happen. I think Christian likes Gabby but sees the game as a game and is perfectly willing to stab Gabby in the back if he needs to.

I would love to see a scene or two of Christian talking to Jon about voting out Allison since Allison is not part of the Brocachos alliance and he is clearly close with Gabby.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

And yet, it seems pretty clear that he did that.  I just don't understand. I must have missed something or I must have failed to understand something.

Can anyone explain why Christian would have said these harmful things about Gabby if he truly likes her?

In the interest of fairness, far as Christian and Nick were aware, Gabby WAS the one who orchestrated Jessica's ouster. If we remember accurately, Lyrsa and Elizabeth came to Gabby about going after Jessica, after Bi, Jessica, along with Christian and Nick were okay with the vote being for Lyrsa. Gabby then took the plan to go for Jessica to Christian, to rally him to their side, since he was her closest ally. Christian then, in a secret alliance with Nick, discussed the changing plan with Nick. So they don't know that it was Elizabeth who said, "Jessica is the glue holding Carl and Bi and Davie and if we get rid of her, we cut of a main source of that alliance's power". Because as far as they know, Gabby is the one who came to Christian and made that argument against Jessica. We saw the scene of Gabby talking to Christian about voting out Jessica and she didn't say, "Elizabeth thinks..." She said, "I think Jessica is the bigger threat because x, y, z..." So yeah, to Christian and Nick, Gabby did orchestrate Jessica's ouster. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I really hope the merge is coming soon. I get a knot in my stomach every episode when Dan unfairly targets sweet little Gabby. He's douchebro and I would be okay with him going home clutching two idols and being the spiritual successor to James.

My Gabby love grows every week...the way she flew off the bench overjoyed knowing she was safe again. If we can just get her to the merge then there are bigger fish to fry and we will have the pleasure of her company deep into the season.

Mileage varies, I see nothing "sweet" about her... I just see "useless" and "crybaby".  Also, I'm not sure why Dan targeting her is being considered "unfair".  Who is he supposed to target?  Everyone always sits around talking about who they would vote out if they happen to lose the immunity challenge.  I don't see why he wouldn't want to target her.  Who else would he vote out?  He wants to keep Goliaths so he wouldn't target John or Alison.  He is friendly with Christian.  So why wouldn't he vote the physically weakest and emotionally unstable Gabby?  Why is it "unfair" for Dan to want Gabby out but not "unfair" for Gabby and Alison to discuss voting him out because he is a strong threat?

8 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

I don't recall Dan discussing this with Christian, did he?  Why would Dan care if Gabby got Jessica out?  Jessica was a David and it was before a tribe swap so I don't know why he would feel lied to by Christian.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

<snip>

I just can't tolerate Gabby.  She is beyond irritating.  Cries and whines about everything.  I get that she's an insecure person.  She is a weak personality who like Christian also seems to have very low self-esteem. 

<snip>

I adore Gabby and I've made that known many times.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I truly understand why several people feel that way. But I hope you won't mind if I state an alternate POV.

I don't understand why people find it objectionable to see someone expressing their true feelings. I think it is one of the most healthy things people can do to maintain good mental health. Suppressing most any kind of negative feelings usually leads to having them "bottled up" and then erupting in some kind of harmful explosion later.

I find Gabby's behavior to be very healthy and I wish that I could be even just a tiny fraction as honest about my feelings as Gabby is about hers. I think she is wonderful and if only I was 50 years younger .... Heh Heh Heh.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, greyflannel said:

I just wish they would stop telegraphing who the winner is with the music. You know someone is about to sink the winning shot when the music starts ramping up. Kind of kills the suspense of the last few seconds.

Yeah, between the music and the sequence of hits and misses that they show, it is usually obvious when the challenge is about to be one, on those ring toss or other target challenges.   

• Love 3

And I have to agree with those that are tiring of Christian.  I do agree that the nerdiness is part of his personality and I don't think he's purposely amping it up for the camera.  But Davie called himself a nerd as well and he doesn't constantly spout off the scientific theory of everything.  That discussion from Christian about kinetic energy and what not was too much.

I also think we are seeing way too much of him.  He is eating the show and I find it irritating.  Reminds me a lot of Adam Klein.  Adam was the irritating narrator of his season as well and he ended up winning.  Right now Christian does seem to have the story arc of personal development going for him.  "Self-proclaimed nerd who never fit in discovers his inner confidence and blossoms to win Survivor."  No thanks.  It's too "in your face".  There do happen to be other people on this show besides Christian, I wish the editors would recognise that.  I wonder if there are statistics somewhere on how many confessionals each contestant has gotten.  I bet he's far ahead of the rest.

• Love 6