Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E06: Aren’t Brochachos Just Adorable?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

52 minutes ago, LanceM said:

The doctor is Alison but the person who had a negative reaction to the Davids when they boarded (including a confessional) was Angelina.

True, but it was Allison’s backstory - she worked hard to become a doctor, but she was also a child of doctors for whom access to a college education was an automatic assumption - Peachy used to illustrate the privilege-based difference between the two tribes.

Angelina’s initial condescending response to the Davids, though, was exceedingly turbo-bitchy.  ;)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I remember it as you do. I thought that Angelina said, more than once, something about her hands bleeding and not being able to use them. It wasn't all Mike. 

They were all struggling, but Mike was the only one who seemed (from the edit) willing to quit. 

On 11/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, blackwing said:

Mileage varies, I see nothing "sweet" about her... I just see "useless" and "crybaby".  Also, I'm not sure why Dan targeting her is being considered "unfair".  Who is he supposed to target? 

Useless crybaby is fairly accurate, IMO. I think the thing that bugs me the most about her endless sobbing is that I have to wonder what kind of pampered, bourg life she lives if not getting her way in Survivor causes her to dissolve into tears so often. Some people have real problems, and some people whine and cry over a TV show. Gabby needs to grow the fuck up. She just needs to do it somewhere other than my TV. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, LanceM said:

The doctor is Alison but the person who had a negative reaction to the Davids when they boarded (including a confessional) was Angelina.

I think I was the poster who was offended by the way Alison laughed at the Davids.

This was my memory, and I brought it up to illustrate an instance why I found the Goliath women, overall, vile.

But I have just rewatched the opening...

Angelina had the voiceover and more overt mocking/patronising response to the initial arrival of the David's - "We just looked stacked, so much stength, so much beauty, some clear brains, and... oh, hahahahaha!" - but then she had already had an obnoxious TH, so I already knew she was vile. While Angelina was laughing her head of and pulling an "oh, bless" face and putting her hand on her heart, Alison and and Natalie were also laughing their heads off in a mocking manner, like the ugly sisters in Cinderella, as humble Christian and Pat with his tattooed neck came into view.

Alison then went on, after hearing that Nick grew up in a trailer and so on, that she too was an underdog and had had to work really hard... Jeff pointed out that some like Pat never had the chance to go to a university, while she was a doctor who was a daughter of a doctor, and in her own words was middle-class, upper-middle-class... 

Maybe she was just excited to be on Survivor, but she still managed to laugh repeatedly at members of the Davids in this really snotty way. When Christian and Lyrsa were chosen to compete in the challenge - picked as the weakest members of the Davids, by the Goliaths - she pulled a face when Lyrsa told Jeff how she felt about being picked, and then scoffed and laughed when Christian responded gamely to Jeff's question about how being picked made him feel.

Of course, Christian and Lyrsa then went on and won that challenge - against John and Alison.

• Love 12

Christian is not as one-note as the stereotypes the show usually promotes (and why some of us are wrestling with getting a grip on his personality). 

I don't think he needs our pity any more than, say, John, who also expressed social shyness or insecurity.  I think most everyone had feelings of insecurity in some areas growing up and probably many of us still do.  Christian is hella successful in his field, and seems to do just fine being himself, making friendships, etc.  He's a brilliant guy who probably had a supportive family that allowed him to be himself growing up and he's done exceedingly well in his schooling and career, and evidently has a girlfriend outside of the game.

I do think there's a little of David Wright in him -- someone who is testing himself in new/different ways, having an adventure, etc..  I think Christian is a bit more authentic than David, who sometimes seemed to be playing a role (and probably was encouraged to by TPTB and JP).

As to Alison, she is a young doctor, probably just out of her training and in fellowship (she mentioned "being away from my patients and my program"), so still has that idealism of a doctor as empath.  Honestly, she doesn't strike me as particularly warm, but we haven't seen a lot of her.

I agree that John is the dark horse/sleeper, whatever you want to call it.  Total speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Special K said:

I think Christian is a bit more authentic than David, who sometimes seemed to be playing a role (and probably was encouraged to by TPTB and JP).

I feel the exact opposite. I'm with the posters who sorta kinda think Christian comes off a bit phony sometimes and I personally never got that with David. I still really like Christian though.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Special K said:

As to Alison, she is a young doctor, probably just out of her training and in fellowship (she mentioned "being away from my patients and my program"), so still has that idealism of a doctor as empath.  Honestly, she doesn't strike me as particularly warm, but we haven't seen a lot of her.

I agree that John is the dark horse/sleeper, whatever you want to call it.  Total speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win.

Agreed about Alison.  She doesn't strike me as warm at all, so I was surprised to hear her say "I am an extraordinarily empathetic person".  I looked up her age and I am shocked to see that she is only 28.  I thought she was 40.  She looks way old for her age.

I like John, but he is clearly the most physically fit man in the game.  I cannot recall, when was the last time (if ever) the most physically fit man won the game?  I know there are guys like Tom Westman and Aras that have won but I don't think they were the physically strongest.  The physically strongest guy always seems to go out shortly after the merge.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, violet and green said:

I think I was the poster who was offended by the way Alison laughed at the Davids.

This was my memory, and I brought it up to illustrate an instance why I found the Goliath women, overall, vile.

But I have just rewatched the opening...

Angelina had the voiceover and more overt mocking/patronising response to the initial arrival of the David's - "We just looked stacked, so much stength, so much beauty, some clear brains, and... oh, hahahahaha!" - but then she had already had an obnoxious TH, so I already knew she was vile. While Angelina was laughing her head of and pulling an "oh, bless" face and putting her hand on her heart, Alison and and Natalie were also laughing their heads off in a mocking manner, like the ugly sisters in Cinderella, as humble Christian and Pat with his tattooed neck came into view.

Alison then went on, after hearing that Nick grew up in a trailer and so on, that she too was an underdog and had had to work really hard... Jeff pointed out that some like Pat never had the chance to go to a university, while she was a doctor who was a daughter of a doctor, and in her own words was middle-class, upper-middle-class... 

Maybe she was just excited to be on Survivor, but she still managed to laugh repeatedly at members of the Davids in this really snotty way. When Christian and Lyrsa were chosen to compete in the challenge - picked as the weakest members of the Davids, by the Goliaths - she pulled a face when Lyrsa told Jeff how she felt about being picked, and then scoffed and laughed when Christian responded gamely to Jeff's question about how being picked made him feel.

Of course, Christian and Lyrsa then went on and won that challenge - against John and Alison.

I re-watched it too and my opinion now is the same as it was when it first aired which is that scene was edited to maximum effect to fit Jeff's silly theme.  From the dodo music playing when the Davids got on the boat to the cut way to the Goliath's "laughing" at them it was so contrived. I put it at about a 0-1% chance that what the Goliaths were laughing at was completely different than what they actually showed us. Honestly after 37 seasons of Survivor you should never ever trust cut away reactions.

I am not even going to make any judgments whether or not Alilison is an empahatic person because i think it is quite silly to make such judgments based on a highly edited reality tv show.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

I am not even going to make any judgments whether or not Alilison is an empahatic person because i think it is quite silly to make such judgments based on a highly edited reality tv show.

I have never stated that Alison is or is not an empathetic person! She has self-described herself as such in recent footage, however. 

Silly...

• Love 4

Back in the day, and if I recall correctly, it was pretty clear who'd get the boot by the editing.  The next person leaving usually got quite a bit of airtime the episode or two prior.

It seems the last few years airtime isn't as a reliable indicator as it once was.  In the media thread, someone mentioned that the show has been having problems casting.   I'm guessing that now-a-days, they show whoever is most entertaining or dramatic.

Just an observation :)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jextella said:

Back in the day, and if I recall correctly, it was pretty clear who'd get the boot by the editing.  The next person leaving usually got quite a bit of airtime the episode or two prior.

In past seasons, it was also never the first name out of the urn who got eliminated. That seems to have been abandoned this season, too.

Probst has been discussing how the editing is changing this season in his EW interviews with Dalton Ross. They are finally changing some practices and are thrilled to see people noticing and appreciating the changes. Hopefully that means that we will see the editing evolve a bit more and make things less transparent.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Probst has been discussing how the editing is changing this season in his EW interviews with Dalton Ross. They are finally changing some practices and are thrilled to see people noticing and appreciating the changes. Hopefully that means that we will see the editing evolve a bit more and make things less transparent.

Gosh! I sure do hope you are right.  Unfortunately, the only kind of changes I expect is more Jeff, more Jeff and more Jeff.

After all, he is the Exec Producer which must mean the audience wants to see and hear more of him. Doesn't it mean that?

12 hours ago, violet and green said:

I have never stated that Alison is or is not an empathetic person! She has self-described herself as such in recent footage, however. 

Silly...

People who self-describe - no matter how they do it - tend to give off a kind of "vibe".  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what it means.  But it sure does seem kind of odd.

On 11/5/2018 at 1:51 AM, violet and green said:

<snip>

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. You said so much but revealed your own feelings so little. I'm still smiling.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MissBluxom said:

Gosh! I sure do hope you are right.  Unfortunately, the only kind of changes I expect is more Jeff, more Jeff and more Jeff.

They have included a new scene in the "Last week on Survivor" bit and there has been more focus on camp life. They have added some different musical elements. (shrugs) Jeff strikes me as his normal self.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

In past seasons, it was also never the first name out of the urn who got eliminated. That seems to have been abandoned this season, too.

OMG.  I never noticed this.  Very impressive!

4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Let's hope this plays through in the finale episodes.  Those have STUNK to kingdom come for years now.

I want to hear from the players - ALL the players.  I don't want to hear about the new shows on CBS and actor interviews  Those are insults to the players, the game, and the show of Survivor.

I don't blame those who walk away from whatever money they'd get paid for the finale.  Why be there when you aren't engaged.  Not a lot of money for what is likely a lot of time and no pay off in terms of fun and camera time.  Let's face it.  That's part of all this.

Edited by Jextella
On 11/1/2018 at 9:42 AM, blackwing said:

I think of Mike as a weak character.  I don't know why he was on Goliath in the first place.  Just because he's D-list famous and wrote "School of Rock" and makes lots of money?  He doesn't have the personality of a Goliath.  He is a weak follower and doesn't seem to be in control of his game. 

This made me laugh because of a scene in School of Rock (which is like a religion to me). Mike's character weakly apologizes, and when he's told to stop apologizing, he apologizes for apologizing.

After the IC, he says "sorry" to the tribe in a way that I swear could have been edited in from the scene I just described. 

• Love 2

I agree about Mike, too. If he didn’t have his job & friendship with Probst I doubt he’d have been cast. He’s very boring and not exactly a leader. Even, as a follower he’s kind of boring. That said, he’s fostered enough friendships to make it to the merge so he must being doing something right. I don’t think he’ll win or even make the Final 3 though. He seems like 5th or 6th place.