Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said "alpha bravo Charlie foxtrot Zulu."  That's all I know.  Quark!!!  That's my answer.  I did know X-ray was right the second I saw it, though.

Well that's better than me. I said "alpha beta gamma....gamma rays? Is the answer gamma rays? Wait, that's the wrong alphabet!"

Then I went through as many as I could remember - alpha bravo charlie echo foxtrot golf india....and then ran out of time. I don't know if I would have remembered x-ray had I managed to make it that far.

And I didn't even start with the wine until after Jeopardy was over!

• LOL 3

[OT: Thank you.]

IMO, Emma should have bet more than $3000 on the DD, as it was only an $800 clue.  Then again, she struggled with the answer, which I found surprising.  What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  The hubcaps hint was nice, but only an extra element, I thought.

I missed the first 10 minutes due to storm issues messing with my reception.  How was the Alex/Emma interaction, this time?

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

I missed the first 10 minutes due to storm issues messing with my reception.  How was the Alex/Emma interaction, this time?

Much better. I don't think he talked about James this time. Her interview was about her travels to cities with "O" as the only vowel. London and Toronto so far. Possibly the nerdiest thing I have ever heard, but I don't mean that in a bad way. 

I speculated on this thread several weeks ago about why the great champs are nearly always men. Women are discouraged from being excessively competitive, aggressive, intellectual, etc. It is inspiring to see someone completely ignore all those messages and just do her thing.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

IMO, Emma should have bet more than $3000 on the DD, as it was only an $800 clue.  Then again, she struggled with the answer, which I found surprising.  What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  The hubcaps hint was nice, but only an extra element, I thought.

I could not name a single building on Lexington Avenue if my life depended on it. But the hubcaps hint gave it all away, for me.  To each, her own!

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  The hubcaps hint was nice, but only an extra element, I thought.

The UN and Grand Central Station come to mind as two other famous buildings within blocks of the Chrysler building.

I knew the clue right away because that’s my favorite building in all the world, especially at night. So beautiful 

• Love 5
(edited)

It was almost physically painful for me when Erin blew that DD. Before I fully read the clue and just saw a couple of words about music, I pre-guessed Beethoven, but then quickly realized what the clue was asking for. Is the Van Cliburn competition really that obscure?

Erin was fun to watch, very expressive.

But then I know nothing about buildings, and have only heard of the Chrysler building because of "Hard-Knock Life" from Annie.

Edited by Abstract
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I was actually more surprised that Gordon was a TS. I got them both despite pretty much despising Christopher Cross 🙂 

Around here the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald gets played predictably in November--the mariners' church referenced in the song is right in the middle of downtown Detroit. And our top 40 AM station back in the day was actually Canadian (CKLW, the Motor CIIITYY) and they had to play a certain % of Canadian artists, so we got more Gordon, Joni, Neil, BTO, the Guess Who, etc. than most Americans

I hope Emma gets to the TOC. Would love to see her matched up against James again!

Aaaah!!!  I grew up with CKLW!  Also WDRQ and WWWW.  I grew up near Ann Arbor in the 60s and 70s, and you bet I knew Gordon Lightfoot!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Her interview was about her travels to cities with "O" as the only vowel. London and Toronto so far.

International travels, I assume?  Since, as a suburban Philly girl, she's probably Amtraked it up to Boston at least once.

7 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I could not name a single building on Lexington Avenue if my life depended on it.

I don't know if I could have specified "Lexington" on my own, either.  But when, by citing Lex, they narrowed it down to "East side, between the Park and the River", it got notably easier, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

The UN and Grand Central Station come to mind as two other famous buildings within blocks of the Chrysler building.

I don't know if Grand Central would be clued as a "building", though.  And the UN is obviously well to the east of Lexington.

8 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Is the Van Cliburn competition really that obscure?

Well, it has been almost 40 years since it was the subject of The Competition.  (I'm so old! 😢)  But they're still around; in fact, apparently the Junior Cliburn is going on right now!

• Love 4

So I take it Emma won again today? No Jeopardy for me due to the NBA playoffs, which pisses me off no end. Then, instead of showing it after the game, they're showing Jimmy Kimmel's show early. Which is totally stoopid, because they're airing it again at it's regular time. 

I have no idea how long the playoffs are going to go on. Weeks? Months? But apparently every time there is a weekday game I'm getting screwed out of Jeopardy.

5 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I have no idea how long the playoffs are going to go on. Weeks? Months? But apparently every time there is a weekday game I'm getting screwed out of Jeopardy.

Friday and Monday night, definitely. Then Thursday and Sunday if necessary. Then it’s all over.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  The hubcaps hint was nice, but only an extra element...

I think it was 'radiator caps,' not hubcaps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

That Georgia Pacific question was extremely poorly phrased... it sounded like they were asking for the State not the name of the company.

THIS! It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but I would have screamed bloody murder if it had.

I'm another who hopes Kim Darby...I mean Emma makes TOC and faces James.

The J! theme could have played three time before I reached x-ray.

Staying on topic -- sort of -- I've said before that my favorite category is Broadway musicals. My daughter was just cast as Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn in a production of The Music Man.

Ball-zac! 

• Love 12
(edited)

I came up with X-ray in time. Figured a German physicist of that era - it had to be something nuclear-related. My dad was a radio operator in WWII and mentioned some of the phonetic alphabet words once in a while. He was right in the middle there, too ... Mike!

While Emma in in California, she can spend a swell few days in Lompoc.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, lb60 said:

Speaking of Gordon Lightfoot, I posted this a little over a year ago when one of his other songs was a clue during the College Tournament (I think).

art love GIF

There really is a gif for everything!

I also got chugalug and Christopher Cross last night.

I didn't keep track tonight.

0 for 3 in FJ, so things are back to normal for me.

I will always love Emma for ridding my tv screen of James. I couldn't stand him.

I will REALLY love whoever rids my TV screen of Emma . I can't stand her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I appear to be in the minority, but I knew that they wanted the full name of the company.  I didn't know the full name of the company.  I said  Georgia Paper.  But, I did know what the clue was asking for.

• Love 1

I wasn't able to give the game my full attention. One kid was wandering around looking for Pokémon cards, the teen was watching with me and constantly asking questions. She only started getting into Jeopardy in the James era and I'm having to explain to her that streaks and scores like his are extremely rare.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Staying on topic -- sort of -- I've said before that my favorite category is Broadway musicals. My daughter was just cast as Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn in a production of The Music Man.

Ball-zac!  

Great part in the best musical ever!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Ball-zac

Omar Khay-y-y-i am appalled!

Not really--congratulations to her! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Great part in the best musical ever!

"bring me some raisins from Fresno" that was my brother's line when his class did the Music Man. Funny what you remember 50 years later! It;s from the Wells Fargo Wagon song. 

I like Emma she is good but I do see if she is comfortable in a category she will stay there and finish it. James hopped to each of the high value clues.

• Love 4

This morning, I got an e-mail from Ticketmaster, telling me that I can now buy tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert!  <whisper> I didn't know he was still alive.<whisper>

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

CKLW was such a mega watt station that I remember a dorm neighbor at William and Mary telling me she used to listen to it in Cleveland on a clear night. 

50,000 WATTS OF POWER!!

The fellow in the middle just couldn't get himself under control - rang in too many times with bad guesses or no guess at all.

I did know they wanted Georgia Pacific, not just the state but it was a convoluted clue.

I got the missed DD of Van Cliburn but no other ts's that I remember.

Did not get FJ even though, just the night before, I had watched an old episode of NCIS where they used the NATO alphabet and x-ray came up several times.

I see I've messed up the quote function again.

• Love 2

12 hours ago, Bliss said:

Speaking of Gordon Lightfoot, he's a friend of a friend, and I know his nephew. In fact, Gordon "comes from" the same small town, Orillia (Ontario), as Stephen Leacock (Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town) that some bookaholics may recognize. The same small town where I live, except I live on a close-by lake.

I first listened to the album If You Could Read My Mind when I was a kid back in the 70s.  Was a fan of his ever since.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  

9 hours ago, Halting Hex said:
10 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

I don't know if Grand Central would be clued as a "building", though.  And the UN is obviously well to the east of Lexington

Yes, obviously it is.  I was merely responding to your question, above, asking what other famous buildings are anywhere between park and the east river...

also, grand central is most certainly a building, a landmarked one at that.  You didn’t specify skyscraper, you asked for famous buildings. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I must sheepishly confess that I work about 10 blocks away and I wouldn't have gotten the answer without the hubcaps part. In fact, "Lexington" tripped me up because I completely forgot it was on Lexington! (Everything east of Fifth is pretty much just skyline to me 95% of the time.)

Go Emma! It did seem like that confusing GP question tripped her up a bit because she didn't buzz in for a while after that. I got nervous!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Abstract said:

But then I know nothing about buildings, and have only heard of the Chrysler building because of "Hard-Knock Life" from Annie.

@Abstract it’s truly a masterpiece, Art Deco glam outside and inside too. If you ever watched sex and the city, it’s in the opening credits.. I hope you get here one day to see it!  It’s gorgeous but lot of people don’t realize how spectacular the interior is. I tried to link a pic but it was too big lol

• Love 8

Mystery Author  - Congratulations to your daughter! I too love Musicals even though my only talent is as an audience member.  

It is going to take me the rest of the day to get Shipoopi out of my brain however.  Oh well, I didn't have big plans anyway.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

Due to my obsession with the phonetic alphabet, I was quite excited upon the reveal of last night's FJ category! Was 0/2 on FJ this week, so desperately needed something in my wheelhouse. I was just afraid of missing it somehow; if I did, I figured I might as well go step into traffic! But I did get it, even though I had to tick through almost the entire alphabet to get there, which took up about half the think time! 

Waiting for Emma to come visit Albany...

CKLW is a powerhouse. Used to pick it up as a kid in NJ!

Edited by DXD526
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Rbonnie said:

@Abstract it’s truly a masterpiece, Art Deco glam outside and inside too. If you ever watched sex and the city, it’s in the opening credits.. I hope you get here one day to see it!  It’s gorgeous but lot of people don’t realize how spectacular the interior is. I tried to link a pic but it was too big lol

I don't know if/when I'll get to New York again, I had my big trip there a couple of years ago, did a bunch of touristy stuff but missed that one.

• Love 2
(edited)

It’s not allowing me to quote, but I wanted to quote @Dobian above because I loved that Gordon Lightfoot album too and now listen to it on a CD. My favorite song on it is Don Quixote. Nice to see I’m not the only person who appreciates that album. Coincidentally he was also the first concert I ever saw. It was at a local community college outdoors. We took a blanket, sat and enjoyed. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I forgot to proofread
  • Love 4

I came up with X-ray in time. Figured a German physicist of that era - it had to be something nuclear-related

Fun fact: "X-rays" in German are "Roentgenstrahlen", literally "Roentgen rays" which I remembered from my German language classes. German physicist + timeframe + some knowledge of NATO alphabet = answer

Count me in the "definitely needed the radiator caps to figure this one out" group

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Count me in the "definitely needed the radiator caps to figure this one out" group

It definitely helped me.

If they had given the German physicist's name, I would have gotten FJ.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You'd have to spell it Olbony. She's only going to "O" vowel cities.

Would the y count as a vowel?  I think it would.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You'd have to spell it Olbony. She's only going to "O" vowel cities.

That's probably how Alex pronounces it anyway.

If we get a category tonight called, "Lyrics of Gordon & the Music Man," we should be so ready.  I was complaining recently, as old people do,  about the new musicals having so few songs you can sing along with.  Then I started naming all the Music Man songs I could sing.  They went on and on.  Out of tune but still.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I appear to be in the minority, but I knew that they wanted the full name of the company.  I didn't know the full name of the company.  I said  Georgia Paper.  But, I did know what the clue was asking for.

I did, too - "this [something something] company" was right there in the first part of the clue, so the company is what they're looking for and the tidbit after the semicolon about the state is to help you figure it out.

The chit chat TS surprised me, but I figured lame and lamé was going to go unanswered (I worked backwards from the fabric and got it, but starting with injured likely wouldn't have got me there in time - quite a few words for that come to mind before I get to lame).  I correctly predicted the Petronas Towers would be a TS, too; contestants don't tend to do well with that part of the world.

Only knowing about half the NATO alphabet was a good thing for me in FJ; among the letters I do know, Xray was the only thing that would have been discovered.  (But it was also a reminder I really ought to learn the whole thing.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

What other famous buildings are on Lexington (or anywhere between Park Avenue and the East River), after all?  The hubcaps hint was nice, but only an extra element, I thought.

I was thinking of Grand Central Station and the Waldorf Astoria (both with entrances, if maybe not proper addresses) on Lexington. It was the radiator caps that led me to the Chrysler Building, which I didn't realize was on Lexington!

As gorgeous as Grand Central is, my favorite architectural detail is that, on the Lex side, the canopy is held by iron ropes that are fashioned to look like ship's rigging, complete with iron rats on them. Apparently either the architect or the person who paid him made their money in shipping and that's a nod to them.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Good game today.  All three contestants finished Double Jeopardy with over $15K, lead changes, clues weren't super easy.

I had to think a second for FJ, but only for a second.  At least I wouldn't have said Arlo Guthrie 😉

Plus that one contestant was named Salom (? I think.  Alex was calling her Salome). Rare name - Biblical I assume - but I like it.

• Love 1

Great game! As much as I enjoyed watching James, I missed competitive games like this. Emma did really well to earn almost $100,000 in 3 wins. GFH 🍹  

I said Bob Dylan for FJ but Woody Guthrie makes much more sense based on when he was popular. But it was all before my time...lol 

I liked Salom(é)'s shirt and, as a Jennifer, appreciated her exotic name. 

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Technically, Charlotte wasn’t the eldest Bronte sister - that was Maria. 

I was desperately trying to think of her name and then I was saying what about the two who died young?

Well Alex wont have Emma to push around anymore.  I was very fond of the Mattie Ross lookalike.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

I am not dissatisfied. 

Same here - not sorry to see Emma go. I was rooting for Salome...or Salom...or however it’s spelled!

Edited by Booney
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was waffling between Bob Dylan and Woody Gurthrie, and unfortunately I landed on Dylan.

Alex said the A got her in trouble, which yes, but I don't think it should have been counted right with just Guthrie since there are two reasonable answers for that.

How on earth was Cali a TS.  Even I got that and as I've mentioned I'm horrible in geography.

I always get Earl Warren and Warren Burger mixed up.  

By the way, you gotta love a contestant who gets down with the music after he's done writing his answer, LOL.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2