Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had a Viewmaster growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, then they kind of fell out of favor, lost out to the video game industry.  Mine were Disney based ones I think. 

Its one of those devices that seems to reinvent itself and pop back up periodically.  I got the question right but had no idea the device was that old. 

Also did not know they were into VR now, but it makes sense. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Me during FJ: Yay, I know this. Viewfinder. No, that's not right. Viewfinder. No, dummy, you just said that. Argh! What was that thing called? Viewfinder. Son of a monkey. Time's up!

I could picture the stupid thing in my head, but couldn't get past finder. 

LOL That was Mr.Trey too.  I had nothing except some vague thoughts of movie cameras.  Once he said Viewfinder I knew he was right but we didn't come up with the right name of View Master until right before it was revealed. 

I did get the ts's of Wellington and mesmerize.

I liked the guy in the middle.  I'll have to quit jinxing players.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I had a pretty good game & ran at least 3 categories. I got EJ's missed DD of Muncie, but, like Dan and some of you, said Puck for the other. Also got vetoes & Wellington. 

I knew exactly what FJ was about, but took a sec to come up with the name. View Master didn't seem right, but I couldn't pull anything else from my brain, so went with it. GFM 🍹

Poor Ben. I was rooting for him since I live in Houston also (for another month anyway), but he just couldn't get a response in edgewise. Any of the 3 were fine, but I did notice Dan's shoutiness more on Wed's game than I did on Tuesday. His interview story about using his winnings to trick out his forklift was funny.  

15 hours ago, SHD said:

He does seem like a character out of “Less Than Zero” but I warmed up to him after awhile.

Good call

• Love 5

If only Alex, the Man of Many Accents and Impressions 😜 had done an imitation of Henry Fonda I might have gotten (G.A.F.) View Master. I was baffled, and thought, um, What is Television??

I did get both missed Daily Doubles from the second round.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

If only Alex, the Man of Many Accents and Impressions 😜 had done an imitation of Henry Fonda I might have gotten (G.A.F.) View Master. I was baffled, and thought, um, What is Television??

Television was my first thought, too, though it was obviously not right. I was stuck on that until the last second.

• Love 1

I had to think for a few seconds about tonight's FJ, but came up with it in plenty of time to write it down.  FUBAR made me laugh, though.  SNAFU would have been a good guess, too.

Shout-out to all of us who said Barrymore for the Newman question a while back!

And Alex is correct -- it's much more fun when the game's not a runaway.

• Love 12

I said gremlin for FJ.  I only got Lil Wayne for rappers.  Interestingly, I got the bottom 3 of elements right, but missed the "easy" 2.    And, I think they had that Barrymore clue for those of us who said it for FJ a couple of weeks ago when there was a Lionel included in the list.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm surprised they didn't edit out that little faux pas when Alex called on the wrong contestant and there were a few moments of befuddlement. I don't want to see Alex being vulnerable!

Ugh, this EJ guy preens too much. 

• Love 15
41 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Ugh, this EJ guy preens too much. 

And I am enjoying every minute of it. I like my Jeopardy champs handsome, well-dressed, and smug as heck. 

I got FJ, but today I discovered that I know nothing about the Nobel prizes or rappers and I really need to study the periodic table. 

Interesting that Alex made a point of saying the game is more exciting when it's not a runaway. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Interesting that Alex made a point of saying the game is more exciting when it's not a runaway. 

I thought it was funny that EJ wagged his finger at the woman who prevented the runaway game. But I bet some people hated that behavior.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

I like EJ, but I miss them going for the larger numbers first! Think how much money they could have collected!! I knew that I would know nothing in Rappers(and I was correct...zero for me!) Not sure why, but FJ was so easy for me....It just seemed right.

BUT and a big BUT, I miss James! and his way of playing and betting!😥

• Love 13

EJ is helping me get through my James withdrawal. He's quite the flirt.... winking at me and blowing me a kiss. *snort*

I got some answers (questions) that I didn't even know I knew. Can't remember them now, of course... which prompts me to remember, "Don't sweat the small stuff."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

EJ is a fucking weirdo, and I love it! He looks so straight-laced, and serious when he plays, and then.... the intro faces! Oh, I loled. But I usually like the people who are a little much. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I wasn't crazy about EJ's wink & kiss during the introduction, but so far he hasn't shown himself to be creepy or annoying, so I think he's just having a bit of fun. Ditto for the finger wagging. I did love that he was frustrated that they didn't clear the board in the first round, because I was also.

I don't think I got any TS, and had no idea for FJ.  Jim's response of FUBAR was hilarious.  I caught the shout-out to those of us who guessed Barrymore for the Newman FJ a couple of weeks ago! I

I only got 2 of the rap questions - Lil' Wayne & the Benjamins. Fun fact: Dr. Toothbrush & I lived in the same building as Lil' Wayne for a few months when I was expecting MiniToothbrush #1 & our new house was being built (sold old one much quicker than expected). He lived in the rarified air of the penthouse while we were on a middle floor. 

2 hours ago, Arkay said:

I'm surprised they didn't edit out that little faux pas when Alex called on the wrong contestant and there were a few moments of befuddlement. I don't want to see Alex being vulnerable!

I liked it as an organic moment, and Alex got to make a single finger joke.  

2 hours ago, Abstract said:

Interesting that Alex made a point of saying the game is more exciting when it's not a runaway. 

I agree of course, but that could be construed as a tiny bit of shade thrown James' way. But I doubt he meant it that way. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 10

I got the TS of Iris, for Iris Murdoch, without having read any of her books but seeing her on library shelves. 

Thought "glitch" for FJ was almost too easy.  I was second-guessing myself.

I'm with those who could picture a ViewMaster but couldn't come up with the name.  My family didn't have one, but a traveling aunt did, and I looked at it whenever we visited her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't notice EJ's intro today, but the clip is making its way around Twitter. The wink, kiss, eyebrow lift, and grin combo was a bit much. He needed to save something for the next day in case he won (which he did). 

I don't care, I stand by my previous statement. Even if I am old enough to be his mom (a teen mom, mind you!). 

I was just on the Baja peninsula last month and everyone was referring to that area on the map as the Sea of Cortez. So I'm confused about that.

I thought of Snafu for FJ, but figured that Jeopardy wouldn't use such a blatant reference to the f-bomb. 

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked it as an organic moment, and Alex got to make a single finger joke.  

I agree of course, but that could be construed as a tiny bit of shade thrown James' way. But I doubt he meant it that way. 

Agreed! 🙂

I think Alex admires James. Close games are exciting because there's the "who's going to win?" question running through everyone's mind. I see a distinction between that kind of excitement and that of the James' saga. ("How much will he win today?" sort of excitement)

I never mind a runaway game as I figure the winning contestant earned it, and in James' case, I was already blown away by his expertise and speed.

Go, EJ!

p.s. I was cheering for Adrienne tonight!

Edited by Bliss
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I said fritz for FJ.

I can't stand James EJ. Keep your winks, air kisses, and finger pointing to yourself.

In happier news:

schools out for summer GIF

How about those Raptors? 😉

• Love 3

BUT and a big BUT, I miss James! and his way of playing and betting!

Me, too.

I figured some of y'all would mention the wink and kiss, but no one saw the swaying?

Fun fact: Dr. Toothbrush & I lived in the same building as Lil' Wayne for a few months when I was expecting MiniToothbrush

Cool! Did all his kids and baby mamas live there, too?

My only fun singer fact was that my first husband went to school with Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (Forest Hills High) and sang with them when they were Tom & Jerry...before they were Art & Paul :-)

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

bought a Viewmaster Virtual Reality set for our family's Yankee Swap at Christmas!  So you've definitely seen one.   Karen picked it.

LOL'ed at FUBAR (which goes back a lot further than the Mercury Space Program!  I also wondered if any of them would come up with SNAFU.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said gremlin for FJ.  I only got Lil Wayne for rappers.  Interestingly, I got the bottom 3 of elements right, but missed the "easy" 2.    And, I think they had that Barrymore clue for those of us who said it for FJ a couple of weeks ago when there was a Lionel included in the list.  

Yes, I was one of those who said Barrymore, too!

I got Wiz Khalifa because my trivia team's name is Quiz Khalifa.

knew glitch, it wasn't a guess, but I have no idea how!! I have no memory to go along with the fact. Maybe it's been on Jeopardy before?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Abstract said:

I was just on the Baja peninsula last month and everyone was referring to that area on the map as the Sea of Cortez. So I'm confused about that.

Two names for the same thing. We said Sea of Cortez in my household, so I had to look it up to make sure. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Arkay said:

My thoughts exactly! 

• Love 3

Next week is the Teen Tournament, and you can't imagine how relieved I was to hear Alex say that this is the second Teen Tournament for the season. I thought my life was going by way too fast because it sure didn't seem like a whole year had passed!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Arkay said:

Ugh, this EJ guy preens too much

I’d preen all day every day and all night too if I looked like that, was as intelligent, was as young, was as fit, was as confident, and was literally in the moment of checking off a bucket list item like appearing on Jeopardy!  I am not rooting for him particularly, I’m still sore about losing my guy James, but I can’t fault a peacock for peacocking!

Edited by Rbonnie
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

I’d preen all day every day and all night too if I looked like that, was as intelligent, was as young, was as fit, was as confident, and was literally in the moment of checking off a bucket list item like appearing on Jeopardy!  I am not rooting for him particularly, I’m still sore about losing my guy James, but I can’t fault a peacock for peacocking!

I'm right there with you on the preening. Not only that, but he's demonstrating an impressive range of knowledge. He would have caused a much bigger stir pre-James. 

He seemed to be hunting for Daily Doubles in the categories most likely to have them. He's obviously read some strategy.

I'm planning to force my daughter to watch him. She despises all peacocking, so her reaction should be very entertaining.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 5

I had no idea that snafu was an acronym. 

13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Cool! Did all his kids and baby mamas live there, too?

My only fun singer fact was that my first husband went to school with Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (Forest Hills High) and sang with them when they were Tom & Jerry...before they were Art & Paul 🙂

Not sure about the kids/baby mamas; I only saw him a few times in the 4 months that we lived there & I don't recall seeing him with kids or women. But this was late 2005 & I think most of his kiddos were born after that. I can remember that a few years later 2 different women gave birth to his children within the same year. 

Very cool that your 1st hubster sang with the future Simon & Garfunkel! My parents, especially my mom, are huge fans, so I grew up listening to them. We saw them at the New Orleans Jazz Fest  close to, if not, 10 years ago.   

• Love 2

My Dad landed at Omaha Beach D-Day plus 20. He was in charge of a 155 mm Howitzer that his group nicknamed SNAFU. My father wouldn't say shit if his mouth was full of it, and I'm convinced he went to his grave never knowing what it meant.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think for a few seconds about tonight's FJ, but came up with it in plenty of time to write it down.  FUBAR made me laugh, though.  SNAFU would have been a good guess, too.

Shout-out to all of us who said Barrymore for the Newman question a while back!

And Alex is correct -- it's much more fun when the game's not a runaway.

Fubar wasn't a terrible guess, just the wrong era. I managed glitch, though I had little confidence in it.

Loved the Barrymore question

19 hours ago, SHD said:

I thought it was funny that EJ wagged his finger at the woman who prevented the runaway game. But I bet some people hated that behavior.

I did too. I warmed up to him today (didn't see the introduction - the husband fast forwarded through it). That joking finger wagging added a lot of plus points to him for me.

16 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

My only fun singer fact was that my first husband went to school with Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (Forest Hills High) and sang with them when they were Tom & Jerry...before they were Art & Paul 🙂

That's a pretty fun fact. The closest we come is that we had two next door neighbors (on either side of us) who played with or for big time artists. One grew up with Jerry Garcia and played fiddle with him. He was good, but wasn't interested in the music life. The other played bass for John Lee Hooker.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I wasn't crazy about EJ's wink & kiss during the introduction, but so far he hasn't shown himself to be creepy or annoying, so I think he's just having a bit of fun.

Ugh, is what I said. If I keep telling myself he's just having a bit of fun maybe I'll be able to tolerate it.

19 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I got the TS of Iris, for Iris Murdoch, without having read any of her books but seeing her on library shelves. 

I got it from seeing the movie. Judy Dench was fantastic.

19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew gremlin wasn't right - that's a WWII reference - 

Oh... right. I said gremlin -- I was actually picturing the gremlin on the wing in that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner -- and I was so sure I didn't even try to come up with anything else.

In addition to Iris, I got Lessing's blessings.

• Love 2

Oh, I officially despise EJ now. On the rare occasions when James didn't land on a Daily Double, he didn't smirk so conspicuously when his opponent got it wrong. EJ has no grace, and he was wrong so often today. Doesn't seem quite so smart now. 

However, I'm still snickering over the woman's guess of "Nietzsche" for a fellow abolitionist named Frederick! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, Arkay said:

However, I'm still snickering over the woman's guess of "Nietzsche" for a fellow abolitionist named Frederick! 

Yeah, I hate to laugh over contestants' bad answers, but I yelled, "Douglass, what are you thinking?"

I was vacillating between polio and smallpox and ultimately picked polio, because I was born in 1972 and got the polio vaccine, but not the smallpox as they had stopped giving it.  So, I figured it would have been more than 40 years since there had been a new case of that.  I tried using logic and it failed me.

I was sitting there as stymied as the contestant on that last daily double.  

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Me, too!  I had to pause and rewind to see what I'd missed while I laughed about that one.

As much as I despise Steinbeck, I seem to be able to answer clues about him correctly all the time.  I loathed The Red Pony -- probably my least liked Steinbeck.  But I knew it, and was surprised it was a TS.  I also got The Lovely Bones, As I Lay Dying, sign language, and Pacific.  Pacific also surprised me as a TS -- especially after Indian was guessed.

I'm glad for the Teen Tournament for the next two weeks.  I'm tired of watching E.J., and I wish he'd learn to close his mouth when he isn't speaking.

I'm embarrassed to admit that FJ stumped me tonight.  If I'd done the math, I might have been able to get it, but it never occurred to me.  I also thought of polio, and tuberculosis, and even plague, though I know there have been way more recent cases of plague.  I ended up without a solid guess at all. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Whoa. I don't think there have ever been TWO such stunning examples of male pulchritude on the Jeopardy stage at the same time. The showrunners should have planned that better, because only one could win. 

Hope E.J. packed some suits for his next trip to Jeopardy. I'm not a fan of the casual look.

Oh, right, there was a game going on. Not a very impressive game, clues left uncovered and a plethora of mistakes. 

I vacillated between polio and smallpox for FJ and would have gotten the wrong one. 

I thought that abolitionist question was really a Mickey Mouse clue since they were spotting us the first name, and then the lady missed it!

I'm guessing E.J. has read that Secrets of the Jeopardy Buzzer book (or whatever it's called). He does the Holzhauer/Rutter stance.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 3

Not the greatest game, but I noticed the same thing about the male pulchritude that @Abstract did, sans the SAT wordlist verbiage. My thought was more, "another cutie" 😜 Becky got a GFY 🍹

TS I got were The Lovely Bones, As I Lay Dying, sign language (Eric's DD), & Pacific (lucky guess). I got FJ correct because I remembered that there was concern in the past few years over the possible use of the smallpox virus as a bio-weapon. 

2 hours ago, Arkay said:

I can kinda see how she got there - same first name, God is dead - but Occam's Razor & grade school history says it's Frederick Douglass. She overthought. 

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I was sitting there as stymied as the contestant on that last daily double.  

I only got it because Gallaudet was mentioned. The first couple of lines of the clue were just word salad to my brain.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Arkay said:

Yes, as Toothbrush said, it was probably the "Is God dead" comment that led Becky to Nietzsche. 

I was glad to see that EJ didn't do any cutesy-obnoxious stuff during the contestant intros.

TSs I got were Pony, The Lovely Bones, and As I Lay Dying. I also got the DDs of Phnom Penh (though I don't know how) and sign language.

For FJ I guessed polio. Oh well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Abstract said:

Whoa. I don't think there have ever been TWO such stunning examples of male pulchritude on the Jeopardy stage at the same time. The showrunners should have planned that better, because only one could win. 

Wow, mileage really varies on the eye candy issue.  I thought they both looked like someone asked central casting for a frat-bro type.  No slam on them - I'm sure they're very nice guys. Also, I hadn't been paying very close attention this week, but did it seem like EJ's mouth was hanging open a lot?  Again, he didn't especially bug me and I'm sure he's a perfectly great person, I just noticed that a lot today.

• Love 7
On 6/11/2019 at 8:05 PM, Katy M said:

I was clueless on FJ.  For some reason I thought it was going to be a natural landmark.  Based on the name I was thinking somewhere in the India area, but I couldn't think of anything so I said the Blarney Stone.  If nothing else, I amuse myself.

I thought that FJ was easy because the name led me to think of an Indian landmark and that’s the most famous.

• Love 2
On 6/11/2019 at 11:33 PM, peeayebee said:

I never heard of it, but like others here, the poet being Indian certainly helped steer me toward the Taj Mahal. Also, the tear would be a sad thing, and so the Taj Mahal being built for the emperor's dead wife fit the clue.

I did not get any TSs. Instead of Norway, I said Sweden for the country where that massacre took place. I have '22 July' on my long list of shows/movies to stream.

Can someone explain the Baby -- Sharp -- Doo Doo Doo Doo category names? 

That TS about Norway was tough.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:33 AM, Toothbrush said:

A 2nd teen tournament???? NOOOO!!!! At least the oldest MiniToothbrush will enjoy. 

The only TS I got were the Frenchie ones: Lafayette (Terri's DD) and Marquette & Joliet. FJ took a few seconds to work out. I don't mind Dan; he just seems excited & I loved his gutsy FJ wager. 

Somebody got a GFY (Terri maybe?) 🍹

Agree

That was my thought process as well. 

Thank God my kids are too old for that, but my 2-year old niece loves it. My husband is a pediatrician & has had a few patients sing it for him.  

I thought the Lafayette and the Marquette and Joliet ones were TS for me definitely! My niece and nephew ages 5 and 4 respectively really like the Baby Shark so g.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2019 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

We had a Viewmaster when I was little, and I loved that thing!  Three for three for me for FJ this week.

Not sad to see Dan go -- he really needs to learn to use his inside voice.  Maybe he wanted to be on Wheel, where being shouty is good.  Also not surprised that he was a one-and-done.

I got mesmerize and Bottom, too.  I think Dan knew Bottom, but just couldn't pull it from his brain.

I knew the viewmaster one right away age had one too as a kid. But the next show ended my streak of getting FJs right this week.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ right at the last second. If I was on the show I wouldn't have time to write it.  My sister had one when we were kids.

I got the TS of  mesmerism.  

Otherwise, a pretty lackluster game for me.

I said Puck also.  We read Midsummer Night's Dream in 8th grade so it's a bit rusty.

Actually I think the only one I got right in that category was King Lear.  

I didn’t do too well in the Shakespeare category either. I blanked on mesmerism even though I knew it.

• Love 1