Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, SeanC said:

That was purely a test of who hit the signalling device first.

I think that was really the point.  Otherwise we could have stood there all day waiting for someone to get a correct answer.

It was a good game and I enjoyed it. It should be an exciting final.

eta: D'oh! I should have read all the replies before posting as Katy M already said it.

Edited by Trey

I got FJ wrong.  First I said the United Nations.  Then I changed it to the World Trade Organization.  Kudos to those kids for being smarter than me.  They weren't even alive on 9/11.

I was quite proud of myself on getting Fort Benning because it was a complete guess.  As was Neptune, but I think I knew both of those things deep in my mind, they are just not things I think about that often.

• Love 2

I probably should have waited until tomorrow to watch today's show -- I'm operating on about four hours of sleep plus a very exhausting day at work.  I'm spent!  At least, that's my excuse for not being able to bring NATO to the forefront of my brain.  No FJ for me!

And I only wrote down two TS.  No idea if there were others I got or not.  The ones I got were Kansas and parsec.  Maybe if the clue had mentioned the Kessel Run, the kids would have gotten parsec...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I said UN for FJ as a knee-jerk reaction & was sure I was right. But if I had actually stopped to think about it, NATO makes so much more sense.

Boo hiss. 

I did the opposite - said NATO as an immediate response, then stopped to second-guess and seriously considered the UN, before ultimately settling back with NATO for no reason other than 'it felt right'.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I said UN for FJ as a knee-jerk reaction & was sure I was right. But if I had actually stopped to think about it, NATO makes so much more sense.

Boo hiss. 

I’m joining in on your “boo hiss” chorus for the same reasons.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I probably should have waited until tomorrow to watch today's show -- I'm operating on about four hours of sleep plus a very exhausting day at work.  I'm spent!  At least, that's my excuse for not being able to bring NATO to the forefront of my brain.  No FJ for me!

And I only wrote down two TS.  No idea if there were others I got or not.  The ones I got were Kansas and parsec.  Maybe if the clue had mentioned the Kessel Run, the kids would have gotten parsec...

Heck, maybe I would have gotten parsec if they mentioned the Kessel run. Han's brag came to mind as soon as they gave the answer. 😄

I said UN, but as a military brat who spent my childhood in NATO allied countries, I should have gotten NATO. Shame! Shame!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Heck, maybe I would have gotten parsec if they mentioned the Kessel run. Han's brag came to mind as soon as they gave the answer. 😄

I would have gotten parsec if the clue had been:

"This word is spelled p-a-r-s-e-c." 

That's the only way it would have happened.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
Just now, Browncoat said:

Yay, Avi!  I'm glad he won -- he was my fave of the three finalists.

Instaget FJ tonight for me.  I got it as soon as I saw "Lancelot" in the clue.

At the last second I was afraid the answer might be Avalon, but I stuck with my original answer of Camelot.

• Love 4

Who else pre-guessed Camelot from the category?

Why are the teens allowed to write messages along with their FJ questions, when adults (e.g. James) are not?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Driad said:

Who else pre-guessed Camelot from the category?

Why are the teens allowed to write messages along with their FJ questions, when adults (e.g. James) are not?

Someone said these were filmed right after the other teen tournament.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

At the last second I was afraid the answer might be Avalon, but I stuck with my original answer of Camelot.

I said Avalon - for some reason Camelot never occurred to me even though I was in the right area. D’oh. 

• Love 1

Thursday’s FJ! had me stumped.  First I said League of Nations, then NATO, and finally I settled on the UN.  Color me wrong.  It took a few seconds to pull Camelot from my brain Friday.  I usually am meh about the Teen Tournament but really enjoyed this one.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Driad said:

Would a teen tournament contestant be allowed to compete in non-tournament Jeopardy later?

From what I understand, no.  I don't really think it's fair. I think kids, teen, and college should be considered separate, and maybe 5 or 10 years later you would be eligible to try out for regular Jeopardy.  I mean you go on the kids' tournament when you're 10 and then you're barred for the rest of your life?  Hardly seems fair.

• Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 11:57 PM, SHD said:

Ditto. All I could come up with was “that depressing bar painting guy.”

I knew the artist but his name wouldn’t come to my head.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

I was concerned for Justin, the way Lucas was flailing and punching with his buzzer!  And I was surprised that Justin didn't get exponent -- surely they've gotten to those by the time they're Freshmen?

Lots of TS tonight -- I got lotus (criss-cross applesauce, heh), knife, Amanda Seyfried, revenge, soul, Greek, Pop Warner, and the aforementioned exponent.

I also got FJ in an instaget, then tried naming other universities in California that it might be, but stuck with Stanford.

I thought the Stanford FJ was super easy.

(edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, Clanstarling said:

Going into FJ, I groaned. I suck at Colleges & Universities. And then they gave me the single university for which I knew a personal story. Of course, I lived within a few miles of Stanford for many years (I'm not sure I actually ever visited the campus.)

I was a straight A algebra student, and I got NONE of the answers. <hangs head in shame> To be fair, it's been many a year since I needed to do anything with math other than add, subtract, divide, and work out percentages (and I do try to do most of those by hand, unless my brain is being lazy that day)

I said cubed too.

I forgot whatever math I learned all those years ago.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 8:00 PM, SeanC said:

Drat, I was hoping Eesha would win.

Final Jeopardy stumped me, but I was alarmed at how two of the three didn’t know Canada doesn’t have a president.

Also, them not recognizing a photo of Mick Jagger.  Sigh, I feel old again.

I felt old too when they didn’t recognize Mick Jagger. I thought the Liberia FJ was hard.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, Ailianna said:

Eesha and Ryan were my two favorites from last week, so I was sad to see them up against each other.  I was hoping they would be in different semifinals and I would see them both in the finals.  I think Eesha realized that Canada doesn't have a president, which was why she crossed it out.  And picked a not-unreasonable guess.  Mexico in its own way was as bad a guess, given the long history of that country and the contentious relationship with the US in the 1800s.  I'm wondering if they teach anything about the founding of Liberia anymore.  I learned about it in school, but also just read a historical novel in whcih some (white) characters were trying to get that project off the ground.  The former slave character kept thinking that he never hears a slave or a free person of color thinking how much they wanted to go to Africa--just how much they didn't want to be slaves.

I said Mexico too, but wasn’t confident of my answer.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:39 PM, lb60 said:

I'm in the seat next to you.

I did get Goldbergs, dishonorable discharge, straight, Operation (sad none of them knew this), Black Forest, Mick Jagger, and Madonna.

I was surprised they didn’t know Operation! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 8:09 PM, suebee12 said:

I guess I am different because I liked him AND I really felt sorry for him losing. To do that well and not get to go onto the final two days must have really hurt!

I got both the FJ and the tie-breaking  because they were really easy! I did well in everything today with the exception of the "new" stuff and I got the older movies but not the newer ones!

I'm saving this episode for my 12 almost 13 year old granddaughter. She was in the same robotics contest as Avi(of course, she was in last year) and her team did quite well. Won a special award and got to go to the next level...almost got to go the National Finals so I know who she will be rooting for!

I bet Jackson will never drink tea for the rest of his life!

On 6/27/2019 at 9:05 PM, Toothbrush said:

Boo hiss. 

I actually thought NATO first but switched my answer to UN.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think kids, teen, and college should be considered separate, and maybe 5 or 10 years later you would be eligible to try out for regular Jeopardy.  I mean you go on the kids' tournament when you're 10 and then you're barred for the rest of your life?  Hardly seems fair.

I'd definitely let Kids Week and Teen Tournament contestants compete again as adults if they qualified a second time (probably requiring TT contestants to be at least five years removed from their initial appearance), but I don't think I'd do it for College Championship contestants; they're already adults (most of the time), so I'd subject them to the same rules as any other adult playing.

I wound up missing this entire week of episodes, so I didn't see any of the semi-finals let alone the final showdown.  Boo hiss; from the original round, they seemed like pretty good players.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'd definitely let Kids Week and Teen Tournament contestants compete again as adults if they qualified a second time (probably requiring TT contestants to be at least five years removed from their initial appearance), but I don't think I'd do it for College Championship contestants; they're already adults (most of the time), so I'd subject them to the same rules as any other adult playing.

I would up missing this entire week of episodes, so I didn't see any of the semi-finals let alone the final showdown.  Boo hiss; from the original round, they seemed like pretty good players.

I agree that it would be fair to let the TT contestants compete again as long as it’s at least 5 years later.

• Love 1

I said Greenland and gosh darn it, I was so sure I was right.  I figured because of all the ice, it didn't count as being dry land.  Oh well, at least it wasn't one of those times all the contestants knew it, Alex said it was easy, and I get it wrong.  I was in good company.

I got thane.  Which I'm only mentioning because I got it at the last second and thought it was hard.

• Love 3

Hey, Jeopardy! Clue Crew -- that piece of glassware is an Erlenmeyer flask, NOT a beaker!  You'd think Jeopardy! would get something like that right.

[ahem]  I got stuck on Oceania for FJ, even though it didn't have nine letters, and couldn't get past it.  At least I was in the right part of the world (and Oceania includes Polynesia), so good for me?

I did manage to get penicillin, Chicago Hope, Tom Holland, and Thane.  I have been to Cawdor Castle -- it's gorgeous.  And Macbeth is one of my faves.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2019 at 8:52 PM, opus said:

I think I might have edited out the “You rock Alex/ You’re sick Alex” confusion.

I know, right! Did anyone else cringe?

It's good to have the regular games back; I didn't catch much of the Teen Tournament (nothing against it, just a lot of evenings spent elsewhere).

I got maladies, penicillin, Thane (missed DD) and Chicago Hope. The latter might have fared better if it hadn't debuted in the same year as ER, and I thought it started out as the better show.

No idea on FJ. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did manage to get penicillin, Chicago Hope, Tom Holland, and Thane.  

I enjoyed that they guessed all of the recent Spidermen (Spider-Mans?) EXCEPT the right one. Poor Tom Holland.

• LOL 4
(edited)

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Translation: I got (adult) FJ wrong.

I said Indonesia. At least I got the -nesia part right. Ha!

Bye-bye EJ. I will not miss you.

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I recently read Sea People: The Puzzle of Polynesia, but somehow I said Oceania.  At least I think I did better than the contestants.

Edited by Driad
  • Love 1
(edited)

That was a really good first round (it wasn’t a bad game in DJ, just that the first round zipped along quite nicely).  I’m surprised no one even took a guess on the antibiotic TS.  Chicago Hope going unanswered surprised me a bit, too; I never watched it, but other than theatre, that’s my primary association with Mandy Patinkin.

FJ was an instaget, that I then counted letters on my finger to confirm because it was really an instaguess; not something I specifically knew, just what immediately came to mind.  But my prediction was only one of them would get it, so I wasn't surprised by it being a TS (I was a bit surprised by their guesses, though).

I didn’t know the Spiderman actor, either; I’ve never seen any of those films and didn’t recognize him from anything else.  I knew all the others in that category, though, despite not seeing most of the films (I’m not much of an action movie fan), so I did better than I expected to based on the category.

Having an Angels clue come up on the day one of their players died was sad – the J! curse strikes again.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I got Thane and Chicago Hope.

I always call the painting "Sunday in the Park With George," and I saw it this weekend! 

I did not get FJ. I first thought tundra, but that wasn't nine letters. Then I thought permafrost, but again, not nine letters. So my final answer was permfrost. 

• Love 1

I too said Antarctica for FJ, but I spent part of the time thinking that the area being referenced was actually in Africa - that comment in the clue really didn't add any additional information, and IMO was unnecessary and unnecessarily confusing.

I rarely dislike Jeopardy contestants, but EJ rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't sorry to see him go.

The Patinkin category felt incomplete without a mention of Criminal Minds and the accompanying controversy. I wonder how they ended up doing a category solely about him, and what his involvement was (if any). Hopefully he can escape the Jeopardy curse.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

HOw many days  was EJ on? I missed the beginning and already deleted the episode...

I think they said three (today would be day four), but I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The Patinkin category felt incomplete without a mention of Criminal Minds and the accompanying controversy. I wonder how they ended up doing a category solely about him, and what his involvement was (if any). Hopefully he can escape the Jeopardy curse.

And am I wrong or was there also no “Homeland” question?!

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Chicago Hope going unanswered surprised me a bit, too; I never watched it, but other than theatre, that’s my primary association with Mandy Patinkin.

I expected a TS there. I did think someone might take a shot with ER.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, opus said:

I expected a TS there [with Chicago Hope].

It probably shouldn't have surprised me even the bit it did, it's just that it was on during a time when there was a good bit on TV, but not the gazillion shows there are now, and traditional entertainment media (e.g. Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide) were widely read, so it wasn't unusual to pick up the basics of a show one didn't watch after it had been on long enough to skim past numerous mentions, because the info was repeatedly there in the margins but there wasn't so much of it that the overload meant it was all skipped over.  But all our minds wind up stuffed with superfluous knowledge like that, so for none of the three to happen to have that tucked away to be retrieved under these conditions is common.

Edited by Bastet

I guessed Patagonia for FJ because I read “dry land” as desert and not as land not covered by water. Still wouldn’t have gotten it though. 

They probably should have done the SpiderMan clue during the Teen Tournament. I had no idea who’s playing SpiderMan now. (Toby Maguire was like a decade ago.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

[ahem]  I got stuck on Oceania for FJ, even though it didn't have nine letters, and couldn't get past it.  At least I was in the right part of the world (and Oceania includes Polynesia), so good for me?

I got stuck in the same way. I knew it was the wrong letters and I kept thinking "what the hell else could you call all the islands" and I know what Polynesia is, but until they said it, completely forgot what it was called.

Tobey Maguire was Spider-man nearly two decades ago.

• Love 2