Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Lucas has a real Rushmore vibe about him. I felt bad when the audience audibly laughed at his crisscross applesauce answer. Sure, it’s silly sounding but it IS a way that position is described (to kids).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Criss-cross applesauce did make me laugh. 

HA! I loved that!

I blew FJ. I was torn betw Berkeley and Stanford and chose the former. If one didn't know the answer, was there a hint in the clue?

• Love 2

I was surprised at how many TSers there were. The “Cross cross applesauce”  made me laugh too, but I wondered for a moment if they wouldn’t have given it to him.  FJ was a Instaget. 

I’m enjoying these easier questions, but it is also evident that I need to keep up better with the times. Though Pop Warner was easy to me, but I get where it might not be for them. Alas....into my corner I will slink. 

(edited)
19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

HA! I loved that!

I blew FJ. I was torn betw Berkeley and Stanford and chose the former. If one didn't know the answer, was there a hint in the clue?

Probably not unless you know that Berkeley gets its name from a dude who died before the United States was a thing so the year would be of note. Or if you know the full name of Leland Stanford Junior University than the son part would have helped. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

Justin and Lucas have been posting on Reddit today. Justin had a bad moment on the DD and let the pressure get to him. He knows what an exponent is. He seems to be taking it well.

• Love 4

Yes, there is a difference between knowing a fact and being able to recall it during a specified 10-second interval.  

Widener Library at Harvard University was built with a gift from the mother of Harry Widener, Harvard class of 1907, a bibliophile who perished on the Titanic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I can never remember if it's Stanford or Stamford. I always get the two confused, so I probably would have blown FJ by saying Pepperdine.

I was sorry Justin lost. Even if he IS a leaner, he's the $42 wagering kid.

I also thought it amusing that the kid from Miami didn't know what a deciduous tree is. Of course not. Growing up there, I never saw leaves "change" until I moved to Georgia when I was 23, which was probably something my parents never even realized, coming from Philadelphia.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Abstract said:

Justin had a bad moment on the DD and let the pressure get to him. He knows what an exponent is. He seems to be taking it well.

Aw, poor kid.  I've been there - as Weird Al said "I got the daily double, and my mind went blank".  

I thought that was a difficult game last night.   I only got Stanford because I've heard that question before somewhere.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I can never remember if it's Stanford or Stamford. I always get the two confused

Me too. I was 99% sure that the CA university is StANford (I live in CA), but I always second-guess myself. Of course, like I posted, I said Berkeley.

• LOL 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Driad said:

Stanford: When I first heard that it was Leland Stanford Junior University, I spent a bit of time wondering what a junior university was.

Going into FJ, I groaned. I suck at Colleges & Universities. And then they gave me the single university for which I knew a personal story. Of course, I lived within a few miles of Stanford for many years (I'm not sure I actually ever visited the campus.)

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Try fourth grade. PEMDAS is introduced. They may not know what to do with an exponent, but they should know the term. I was shocked when he got it wrong.

I was a straight A algebra student, and I got NONE of the answers. <hangs head in shame> To be fair, it's been many a year since I needed to do anything with math other than add, subtract, divide, and work out percentages (and I do try to do most of those by hand, unless my brain is being lazy that day)

12 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

On the exponent thing I was : “cubed?” Because I haven’t taken math in a billion years.

I said cubed too.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I also thought it amusing that the kid from Miami didn't know what a deciduous tree is.

Oh yeah, that was the other extremely amusing answer (along with criss cross applesauce). Carnivorous trees are a real danger (at least it sounded like "carnivorous" to me...did he actually say "coniferous"?)

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Oh yeah, that was the other extremely amusing answer (along with criss cross applesauce). Carnivorous trees are a real danger (at least it sounded like "carnivorous" to me...did he actually say "coniferous"?)

Yeah, coniferous, not carnivorous, although that does conjure up new scenes of the apple trees in Wizard of Oz.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Drat, I was hoping Eesha would win.

Final Jeopardy stumped me, but I was alarmed at how two of the three didn’t know Canada doesn’t have a president.

Also, them not recognizing a photo of Mick Jagger.  Sigh, I feel old again.

• Love 12

I got FJ.  I'm surprised none of the kids did.

I also got Madonna and Mick Jagger.  I'm not surprised none of the kids did.

Just now, SeanC said:

I didn't recognize the picture, but I put the name together with Keith Richards easily enough.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I wasn’t that surprised, though. I did laugh at the audience’s audible gasp of shock as the time ticked away with no one buzzing in.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Funny thing today....I watched The Chase before I watched Jeopardy. Guess what one of the questions was? What is the largest National Park? Made Jeopardy pretty easy!

I was a little surprised that no one knew Mick Jagger...he looks the same except "well worn" now. Remember it hasn't been that long since Moves Like Jagger was popular.

Oh, I got Liberia right away...history was my favorite subject!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Drat, I was hoping Eesha would win.

Final Jeopardy stumped me, but I was alarmed at how two of the three didn’t know Canada doesn’t have a president.

Eesha and Ryan were my two favorites from last week, so I was sad to see them up against each other.  I was hoping they would be in different semifinals and I would see them both in the finals.  I think Eesha realized that Canada doesn't have a president, which was why she crossed it out.  And picked a not-unreasonable guess.  Mexico in its own way was as bad a guess, given the long history of that country and the contentious relationship with the US in the 1800s.  I'm wondering if they teach anything about the founding of Liberia anymore.  I learned about it in school, but also just read a historical novel in whcih some (white) characters were trying to get that project off the ground.  The former slave character kept thinking that he never hears a slave or a free person of color thinking how much they wanted to go to Africa--just how much they didn't want to be slaves.

• Love 3

I could have sat here all night and not even considered Liberia.  I had nothing.  And I was doing so well with FJs during this tournament, too!  Boo, hiss.

I'm going to consider all the finger guns a shout-out to all of us.  Why not?

I was also surprised no one knew Mick Jagger, especially with a photo!  The parents in the audience (particularly those who gasped) clearly need to introduce their children to classic rock. 🙂 Other TS I managed to get included straight, Operation, Black Forest, and trike.  There may have been others, too, but I got distracted by something shiny and didn't write them all down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I'm wondering if they teach anything about the founding of Liberia anymore.  I learned about it in school,

Might be just one of those things where their mind just didn't go there.  There are some questions where it's a "what is this" question and you don't really have to think about it.  Then there are the "which" questions that take more thinking.

For example, Who was the first President of the United States?  Easy enough assuming you know it.  Which president was the third President to serve exactly 1 full term?  Now, you have to think through.  Actually that was a bad example of what I was going for.  I'm just saying that some questions there is an obvious right answer because it's just asking a simple question, and some are not as specific with details.

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

There may have been others, too, but I got distracted by something shiny and didn't write them all down.

That reminds of one time I told my mom that I got distracted by a shiny object and she thought I literally got distracted by a shiny object.  You should have seen her face.  I think she was ready to disown me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I could have sat here all night and not even considered Liberia. 

I'm in the seat next to you.

I did get Goldbergs, dishonorable discharge, straight, Operation (sad none of them knew this), Black Forest, Mick Jagger, and Madonna.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I wasn’t that surprised, though. I did laugh at the audience’s audible gasp of shock as the time ticked away with no one buzzing in.

I didn't hear those as gasps - I heard it as laughter. Maybe because I was laughing at how young they were, and how unrecognizable they'd be to young people. Sure, I can see old Mick in Young Mick's sweet face - kind of like one of those dried apple dolls, but when I was young I never could do that. It's taken me getting old to see the youth within older people's faces.

I got Liberia right away, though my husband - the actual history buff - was clueless. Which made me feel all the smarter. We have different strengths, so it always pleases me when I "win" one in his lane. 🙂

• Love 5
(edited)

My first thought was Liberia so I went with it but I wasn't totally sure it wasn't the Philippines. 

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

but I was alarmed at how two of the three didn’t know Canada doesn’t have a president.

It may have been they didn't know Canadian history - they might have thought that Canada could have first had a President and then switched to the current system.  

Edited by M. Darcy
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Liberia never entered my mind.  I said Canada.  Of course I knew Mick and Keef.  The Stones played Chicago (my home town) last night.  Coincidence???

Probably 😃

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sure, I can see old Mick in Young Mick's sweet face - kind of like one of those dried apple dolls

😂 Now I will forever see Mick Jagger as a dried apple doll.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, ABay said:

It must've really pained Alex not to mock them for guessing Canada for FJ. 

I was really shocked that two of them thought Canada was governed by American presidents.

I guessed the Philippines  - I suppose Filipinos would be just as shocked at my guess.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I was really shocked that two of them thought Canada was governed by American presidents.

Me, not so much, having been born in a different country of American parents. Not to mention the fact that we had one previous presidential candidate born in Canada. It's conceivable that Canada's politics could have a number of people born in the US. It's not knowing Canada has a prime minister rather than a president was more surprising to me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jeopardy gods. I could not have taken two more days of Jackson, the leaner.

FJ=instaget.

Also got the tiebreaker, which was easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Team Avi, all the way.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jeopardy gods. I could not have taken two more days of Jackson, the leaner.

FJ=instaget.

Also got the tiebreaker, which was easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Team Avi, all the way.

Agreed, on all points.  Jackson was killing me with the leaning -- even leaning when Alex was chatting with him!  Drove me nuts.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Jackson was killing me with the leaning

I guess I am different because I liked him AND I really felt sorry for him losing. To do that well and not get to go onto the final two days must have really hurt!

I got both the FJ and the tie-breaking  because they were really easy! I did well in everything today with the exception of the "new" stuff and I got the older movies but not the newer ones!

I'm saving this episode for my 12 almost 13 year old granddaughter. She was in the same robotics contest as Avi(of course, she was in last year) and her team did quite well. Won a special award and got to go to the next level...almost got to go the National Finals so I know who she will be rooting for!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I guess I am different because I liked him AND I really felt sorry for him losing. To do that well and not get to go onto the final two days must have really hurt!

It takes a lot to bug me as a Jeopardy contestant and leaning on the podium is not going to do it.  On the one hand, I did feel bad for him. But, on the other hand, I remember Alex saying the winner was in a distant third when he hit the daily double, so that's always fun to come out of and end up winning.  But, I'm sexist and I always want the girl to win. Sue me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

I think the tiebreaker should have been more difficult.  That was purely a test of who hit the signalling device first.

Totally -- and I am sure both contestants realized that the contest was hitting the buzzer first, whether or not you knew the answer -- because even if you didn't know the anser, you had nothing to lose!  I assume it took a few minutes to set up the tie-breaker and explain it to the two, so they had time to absorb the stakes.  (Of course the set-up time was edited out.) 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

I think the tiebreaker should have been more difficult.  That was purely a test of who hit the signalling device first.

But, on the other hand, they don't want to take the risk of having to go through 10 tie breaker questions because neither knows the answer.

• Love 1