Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Someone could have slipped me a piece of paper with the correct answer and I still would have gotten it wrong. 

I really need the teens to come back.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Did everyone disappear from here? I haven't been here much at all since before the last tournament but I seem to recall a lot of posts around prime time on nights Jeopardy! is on. It's like a ghost town. Or did I just catch it on a slow night?

7 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Someone could have slipped me a piece of paper with the correct answer and I still would have gotten it wrong. 

I really need the teens to come back.

Me, too!

• Love 3

I'm here. I never can remember when it's okay to post, so I just wait till someone else posts.

I didn't get FJ, but I picked up on the clue recycling from Battle of the Decades finals today. "Me Talk Pretty One Day" was one of the DDs, and of course Condoleezza Rice was the FJ. 

Good for Ryan for going all in. He seems like such a nice kid. I'm hoping he makes a good run. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, SHD said:

Poor Alex gets so fed up when there are so many wrong answers/guesses.

I get irritated too when it's obvious the contestants are just guessing at the answer. That's fine to do in FJ if you're not sure, but why ring in and lose money on the rest of the show? Of course I totally give myself a pass for guessing at home.

Was pretty surprised none of them could connect ergo with work. I got several other TSs also, but had no clue on FJ. I like Ryan and was rooting for him. I appreciate that he will go all in on DD. Fortune favors the bold. Sometimes.

• Love 1

That was a tough FJ. I had no idea, so I just pulled Demosthenes out of my butt.

For TSs, I got Lawrence of Arabia (seemed obvious) and the DD of aurora [borealis].

I couldn't remember Jennifer Connolly's last name.

Coincidentally, just this morning I had in my hand a DVD of Kubo and the Two Strings. When Alex read the clue, I thought this was the answer but couldn't remember the title.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

Was pretty surprised none of them could connect ergo with work.

Same here.

The Lawrence of Arabia TS surprised me, too.

This was my first time watching Ryan play, as I was out Thursday, Friday, and last night, and I was kind of surprised to learn he was a four-day champion as he seemed to have a few really bad guesses today.  But then he was impressive at other times, so obviously it evened out.

I correctly predicted someone was going to guess Madeleine Albright instead of Condoleezza Rice, and I'm not even sure specifically why.  Looking back, I guess I figured someone would not pay proper attention to the dates and wouldn't know Rice's connection to football.  But it's a little weird I was so sure of that in a second or two.

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I correctly predicted someone was going to guess Madeleine Albright instead of Condoleezza Rice, and I'm not even sure specifically why. 

Because Ken Jennings handed Brad Rutter a million dollars by doing exactly that in 2014?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Because Ken Jennings handed Brad Rutter a million dollars by doing exactly that in 2014?

Nope, because I didn't see that.  Maybe I heard about it and it was my subconscious speaking to me tonight, but that doesn't ring a bell.

39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For TSs, I got Lawrence of Arabia (seemed obvious) and the DD of aurora [borealis].

Just to be pedantic, aurora borealis would have been incorrect, since that refers to the Northern lights.  The Southern lights are the aurora australis.  Just in case it comes up again!

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Abstract said:

Forgot to mention I ran the "Who's in charge?" category. It happens so rarely I have to pat myself on the back for it.

Me, too.  Before they started picking clues I had assumed it was going to be world leaders.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I did not get FJ.  I said Leonidas as soon as Alex said think of the great battle, or whatever.  But, that, of course, does not count.

I got the TS of workers.

I saw Gerard Butler's poster from the 300 in my mind (couldn't remember his name - so I definitely didn't get to Leonides).

For ergo I hesitatingly said "furniture makers?" LOL.

Also, I said "geezers" (like me) for elderly. Think they would have taken that?

12 hours ago, Abstract said:

I didn't get FJ, but I picked up on the clue recycling from Battle of the Decades finals today. "Me Talk Pretty One Day" was one of the DDs, and of course Condoleezza Rice was the FJ.

I got to David though his sister Amy - my mind was all over the place last night. Like the contestants, I didn't do all that well. But at least I got this one.

Edited by Clanstarling

I thought Kevin might win--he was doing very well early on.  It was Ryan finding the Daily Double that turned the tide.

I don't really "know" Kevin personally, but his wife (Ruth) was one of my opponents during my time on the show.  She was the one who would have beaten me if she hadn't changed her Final Jeopardy answer.  Ruth was very nice, and I assume Kevin is as well, so I was kind of rooting for him for that reason.  It's cool when both members of a couple can get to do the show.

I had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  After Alex mentioned Thermopylae, I knew who they meant, but still couldn't remember his name.  I would have had to say "That guy that Gerard Butler played in 300."

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't really "know" Kevin personally, but his wife (Ruth) was one of my opponents during my time on the show.  She was the one who would have beaten me if she hadn't changed her Final Jeopardy answer.  Ruth was very nice, and I assume Kevin is as well, so I was kind of rooting for him for that reason.  It's cool when both members of a couple can get to do the show.

I had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  After Alex mentioned Thermopylae, I knew who they meant, but still couldn't remember his name.  I would have had to say "That guy that Gerard Butler played in 300."

All 3 contestants were likable and I would have been fine with anyone winning, except that I want to see Ryan make it to ToC.

I also think it's really cool to see couples appear on the show. That would never happen in my family. Mr. Abstract would make a great Pub Quiz teammate, but he has never been a quick reaction kind of guy. 

Your FJ answer reminds me of one of the answers I had to give on my in-person test. I completely blanked on the actor's name, so I just put "That guy from [name of show redacted]". (They were very adamant about not sharing content of the test, so I'm following rules!)

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Also, I said "geezers" (like me) for elderly. Think they would have taken that?

I said "old people" and I counted it right for myself.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said "old people" and I counted it right for myself.

Me too.  I also said middle instead of center but counted it right. Only other ts was Lawrence of Arabia.

For FJ I said Alexander the Great just for something to put down, I didn't really think it was right.  As soon as Alex said Thermopylae I knew it was the king from The 300.  I might eventually have come up with his name but by then it didn't matter anyhow.

I didn't like Ryan too well at first but he is growing on me.

16 minutes ago, Trey said:

For FJ I said Alexander the Great just for something to put down, I didn't really think it was right.  As soon as Alex said Thermopylae I knew it was the king from The 300.  I might eventually have come up with his name but by then it didn't matter anyhow.

I said Alexander, too, but also knew it wasn't right.  Apparently I'm the only one here who didn't see The 300.  I did read a book years ago about Thermopylae, though.  I can't remember the name of it.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

This was my first time watching Ryan play, as I was out Thursday, Friday, and last night, and I was kind of surprised to learn he was a four-day champion as he seemed to have a few really bad guesses today.  But then he was impressive at other times, so obviously it evened out.

He definitely played better in his previous games. My guess is he was panicking a bit with Kevin being so far ahead.

I correctly predicted someone was going to guess Madeleine Albright instead of Condoleezza Rice, and I'm not even sure specifically why.  Looking back, I guess I figured someone would not pay proper attention to the dates and wouldn't know Rice's connection to football. 

I wouldn't have remembered Rice's football connection, either, but the dates gave it to me. I think that the contestant who said Albright was concentrating on the height, thinking 5'5" was short, like Albright is short (though shorter than that, I believe).

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Just to be pedantic, aurora borealis would have been incorrect, since that refers to the Northern lights.  The Southern lights are the aurora australis.  Just in case it comes up again!

Yeah, I would have been wrong, so I will take back my post that I got that one right.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I saw Gerard Butler's poster from the 300 in my mind (couldn't remember his name - so I definitely didn't get to Leonides).

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Alexander, too, but also knew it wasn't right.  Apparently I'm the only one here who didn't see The 300. 

I didn't see it either. I thought FJ was really hard, but seeing the movie makes it much more easy (if you can remember the name).

For ergo I hesitatingly said "furniture makers?" LOL.

I didn't get the ergo one, but when Alex said what it was, I was all DOH!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Alexander, too, but also knew it wasn't right.  Apparently I'm the only one here who didn't see The 300.  I did read a book years ago about Thermopylae, though.  I can't remember the name of it.

I didn't see the movie, but I remembered the poster. I wasn't even sure who the actor was until I looked it up on IMDB. His type of hunks kind of blend together for me.

14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Was Ryan suffering from Killer Fatigue up until his daily double, or was he just sulking because he wasn't running away with it?

My vote is sulking, but then, I don't like Ryan, and am actually annoyed that he pulled that one off.  Damn it, so close to getting rid of the twerp.

• Love 3

Good for Alex for not going there with Margaret's name.  Although I freely admit that I did!

Ryan's pronunciation of Francois Mitterand cracked me up -- he out-Frenchified Alex with that one.

The clue about potassium confused me.  Tea, sugar?  What in the what, now? 

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 4
(edited)

"I'll take anal bum cover for $200, Alex!"

At least one writer must be an SNL fan.

I did get FJ.

Farewell, Ryan.

I do not like the new champ.

Browncoat-potassium. One tea (t), two sugars (s). I didn't get it at first, either.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2

So sad to see Ryan go, I took an instant dislike to the new champ, which didn't soften as time went on. I will root for anyone but him tomorrow...even if it's a buzzer masher!

• Love 1

As far as I am concerned, Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. I don't actually remember what the clue said, instead. Anyway, I have never liked fudge, so had no problem letting boys have it all.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Fex said:

As far as I am concerned, Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. I don't actually remember what the clue said, instead. Anyway, I have never liked fudge, so had no problem letting boys have it all.

I've always heard it with the fudge.  You are wrong. Fudge is awesome:)

I think the clue said Every Good Boy Does Fine.

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I will accept hot fudge on a sundae.

Does Fine? That's so boring! That defeats the purpose of a mnemonic device.

FJ was super easy. Made me second-guess myself.

The TS I got was The Night Manager.

Man, the new champ reminds me so strongly of an actor. I can't even remember which shows/movies he's been in.

• Love 2

After FJ, Ryan wouldn't even look at the new champion, never mind shake his hand, unlike the woman.  The new champ looked over at Ryan a second time during the final seconds, and again got the cold shoulder.  Talk about a sore loser.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I didn't see the episode, so I don't know, but you're probably right -- that's how I learned it (although I have heard it with Deserves Fudge, too).

• Love 2

Wow, that FJ was a real gimme. They could’ve at least made it harder by asking for the author’s name, just to weed out anyone who only knew the movie!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

J was super easy. Made me second-guess myself.

It was so easy I couldn’t second guess myself because nothing else would make sense! They should have chosen to put the Louvre or Opus Dei in the clue it would have still been easy but both was ridiculous!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

After FJ, Ryan wouldn't even look at the new champion, never mind shake his hand, unlike the woman.  The new champ looked over at Ryan a second time during the final seconds, and again got the cold shoulder.  Talk about a sore loser.

I noticed that, too.  He showed shades of that when he almost lost Tuesday.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't see the episode, so I don't know, but you're probably right -- that's how I learned it (although I have heard it with Deserves Fudge, too).

Yep, it was Every Good Boy Does Fine.  Which is also how I learned it, and therefore Obviously Correct.  Never heard of this "Deserves Fudge" business, which is Clearly Wrong and was probably invented by Those Damn Millennials. 🙂

Edited to add: On the other hand, I have also heard "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour."  I think that's mostly a British usage (hence the spelling of "Favour").

Edited by MrAtoz
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Never heard of this "Deserves Fudge" business, which is Clearly Wrong and was probably invented by Those Damn Millennials.

Ha ha.  I learned it in the '70s, so nope.  Not invented by millennials.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

FJ was super easy. Made me second-guess myself.

The TS I got was The Night Manager.

Man, the new champ reminds me so strongly of an actor. I can't even remember which shows/movies he's been in.

I've seen comparisons to Jason Ritter* and to Ethan Hawke. 

*I might post on Jeopardy forums too much, autocorrect tried to change his name....

Edited by Abstract
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The clue about potassium confused me.  Tea, sugar?  What in the what, now?

I got confused too -mostly because I forgot the category. Which I did with nearly every clue in the category. Sigh... And then the mister and I squirreled off on a tangent reciting mnemonics we'd learned as kids.

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've always heard it with "Fine" - but I like Fudge. 🙂

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got confused too -mostly because I forgot the category. Which I did with nearly every clue in the category. Sigh... And then the mister and I squirreled off on a tangent reciting mnemonics we'd learned as kids.

I remember the first time my husband mentioned Roy G. Biv and I wondered who the hell is he, why do I care, and what was his name again?  Please, Richard of York gave battle in vain.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

All good boys did fine for me too, in the early '80s. I'm kind of glad I didn't learn the fudge one or I'd have been hungry all the time at piano lessons!

I didn't care much about Ryan, and I'm okay with the new champ. Hopefully the camera operators will have an easier time with this one - the leaning to examine the scores when Ryan got a daily double and then popping back up always seemed to get them.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

remember the first time my husband mentioned Roy G. Biv and I wondered who the hell is he, why do I care, and what was his name again?  Please, Richard of York gave battle in vain.

I know the feeling BROOKSIDE   it gave me a chance to tell my sister about my very fun but strange teacher who taught us how  REAL OLD YARDS GROW BEST IN VOMIT.   (wonder why your richard and my yard never caught on).

I like the new champ, even though I didn't mind Ryan. Kinda sad to see him go on his 5th game.  Before James's streak there were a lot of champs who only made it to 4 this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

And...that's to the Chicago Public School system, I had actually never even heard of any mnemonic for the rainbow until....Jeopardy, I believe. I think there is also one for planets. In fact, I don't think I was taught any mnemonics for anything (except....every good boy does fine).

Edited by illdoc
because "also......, too" is redundant
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

Did everyone disappear from here? I haven't been here much at all since before the last tournament but I seem to recall a lot of posts around prime time on nights Jeopardy! is on. It's like a ghost town. Or did I just catch it on a slow night?

I know of one person who left but I hope she returns.  Otherwise, I think most regular posters are still here.  Some possibly are on vacation and not posting - and, it could have been just a slow night:)

Only one ts for me last night: life.  Instaget FJ even though I've never read the book or seen the movie. 

Sorry I jinxed you, Ryan.  New champ seems okay too.