Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Add me to those who got stuck on Oceania.  I was wracking my brain trying to remember another name for “that buncha  islands in the South Pacific” since I figured that’s what they were going for.

Poly (many) Nesia (nesos = islands)

• Love 1

I said Indonesia for FJ. I am constantly mixing up the places ending in -nesia.

I would have guessed E.J. to be a Marvel movie watcher, but I guess not. I watch the movies with my kids, so I got Tom Holland easily. I also got Chicago Hope because I remember 1994 when it came out along with ER. 

Kinda sad to see E.J. leave, or at least his face. 

• LOL 2

I said Antartica— which I also mentally misspelled in order to make it 9 letters. Oh well. I had no idea Polynesia was so huge!

I did get Chicago Hope. I remember when this show started, I didn’t want to watch 2 medical shows, so between this and the other one that was debuting, ER, I picked the one that looked like a winner.  And a few years later, I had another free hour in my TV schedule. To this day, I’ve never seen an episode of ER.

• Love 1

I said Micronesia for FJ then wondered which letter I could scratch out to make it 9 letters.  You would have thought micronesia would have led me to Polynesia but it did not.

I got the missed DD of thane, after discarding laird, but didn't get any other ts's.

I'm glad regular games are back.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Chicago Hope. The latter might have fared better if it hadn't debuted in the same year as ER, and I thought it started out as the better show.

Yes, I too watched Chicago Hope, so I knew that one.  I guessed Laird instead of Thane, even though Lord was in the clue.  

I guessed Antarctica, kept (mis)counting the letters.  I never would have gotten Polynesia.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

The Patinkin category felt incomplete without a mention of Criminal Minds

Agree.  Alex didn't do the Inigo Montoya accent too badly, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Chicago Hope even did a few jokes about ER. Both were set in Chicago, so a Hope character made some reference to "that other hospital" being very popular, compared to theirs. And I thought there was a line about Adam Arkin's character (tall, dark-eyed, salt-n-pepper hair) being mistaken for George Clooney.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Is Chicago Hope (and I'm probably one of the few people who watched both the medical dramas) out on DVD? I know that E/R was in syndication at one time & see those DVDs everywhere (including Half-Price Books for about $10 a season), but never see CH anywhere. As to "why no Mandy Homeland question"...I think it's because the 3 category titles were "Danes" (i.e. Claire Danes, even if the category wasn't about her), "Patinkin" (however it's spelled) and "Homeland" (even if it wasn't about the show), so that category was the "Mandy/Homeland" connection. I figured "Criminal Minds" was the Mandy J6 clue.

• Love 1

I got FJ wrong again. I'm sick of being a stupid idiot.  I hardly got anything right tonight.  I even missed two that I knew.  One because I decided not to go with the answer I knew was right. I have no idea why. And the other because my brain is too slow.  Someone clearly injected me with turtle brain.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ wrong again. I'm sick of being a stupid idiot.  I hardly got anything right tonight.  I even missed two that I knew.  One because I decided not to go with the answer I knew was right. I have no idea why. And the other because my brain is too slow.  Someone clearly injected me with turtle brain.  

Two out of three people who were smart enough to qualify to be on the show tanked the answer, so there’s no reason to feel bad.

I went back and forth on whether it was jury-rigged or jerry-rigged. Turns out both were right!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

As to "why no Mandy Homeland question"...I think it's because the 3 category titles were "Danes" (i.e. Claire Danes, even if the category wasn't about her), "Patinkin" (however it's spelled) and "Homeland" (even if it wasn't about the show), so that category was the "Mandy/Homeland" connection. I figured "Criminal Minds" was the Mandy J6 clue.

Yeah...I definitely didn’t notice that - LOL.

I got FJ but was a bit surprised...good surprise though! I liked the guy who won and was glad he had a really good final bet, but James spoiled me.

I miss James or at least the way he played!

• Love 5

I missed FJ again, though I was killing it in the first two rounds. Maybe I would have had a runaway, haha. Probably not, these were good players. Did anyone notice the two new contestants were murdering their buzzers? Yikes!

52 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I missed FJ again, though I was killing it in the first two rounds. Maybe I would have had a runaway, haha. Probably not, these were good players. Did anyone notice the two new contestants were murdering their buzzers? Yikes!

Yes, and it drove me nuts throughout the game. Clickety click click, over and over. Very distracting. I like how James held his buzzer where it couldn't be seen. Between the noise and wild waving of the arms today it was hard to concentrate on the clues.

• Love 1

I couldn't decide if it was jury-rigged or jerry-rigged, so I just randomly picked jury.  I was glad to see that either would have been correct.  I got there because my brain went from ship's mast to ship's rigging, and from there to jury.

It occurred to me tonight that Josh, the now-former champ, bears a striking resemblance to John Belushi.

Boy, another fast start in this game – I came in at 7:03 and couldn’t believe how many clues were already off the board.

I’m not very knowledgeable about dog breeds, but with the B spotted I managed to run that category.  I loved the anagrams, salad, “sc”ilent C, doctors & lawyers, and cities in a country categories too.  It was a very good game for me.

I kept hearing “gem of a word” as “genital word” whenever Allison selected a clue in that category.  Yeah, I don't know.

I cannot believe the Romeo clue was a DD in DJ to begin with, and then that it was missed.  Angel Island and Jeffrey Toobin as TS surprised me a bit, but nothing like that.

I've always regarded "jerry-rigged" as a mispronunciation/misspelling of "jury-rigged" -- I've heard of "jerry-built" (meaning you cut corners in building whatever to save money, resulting in something flimsy), and figured conflating the two was the origin of the error.  I didn't realize it was now considered - at least by J! clue writers - an acceptable alternate.

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ. Just to put something down, I said haphazard. I've never heard of JURY-rigged, only jerry-rigged. 

57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I got there because my brain went from ship's mast to ship's rigging, and from there to jury.

What does jury mean in regards to ships?

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I kept hearing “gem of a word” as “genital word” whenever Allison selected a clue in that category. 

I heard it too. I was all, WHA?

• Love 1

My boyfriend immediately said jury-rigged and I said Jerry-rigged at the same time and then we spent the rest of the time arguing which was right and turns out both! 

I was surprised Angel Island was a TS but I guess not everyone has had to have several company picnics there! 

• Love 1

Because Alex stating jerry-rigged would be accepted as interchangeable with jury-rigged got me mildly curious, I read a few articles about the phrases and found this one from Merriam-Webster about the usage history of the two (and "jerry-built," as I referenced in my first post) interesting. 

• Useful 4
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My boyfriend immediately said jury-rigged and I said Jerry-rigged at the same time and then we spent the rest of the time arguing which was right and turns out both! 

I wonder if it’s a regional thing, like kitty-corner vs. catty-corner.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Not a thing.  Just my strange brain coming up with something to go with rigging.  My brain tried to convince me that maybe the rigging was done by committee, and maybe on ships that meant by jury?  Yeah, like I said, strange brain.  Until the correct response was revealed, I was’t at all sure of jury-rigged.  Or jerry-rigged.

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

was surprised Angel Island was a TS but I guess not everyone has had to have several company picnics there! 

I've never heard of it. I said Alcatraz.  LOL.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I kept hearing “gem of a word” as “genital word” whenever Allison selected a clue in that category.  Yeah, I don't know.

I heard "genital warts" every time she said it.  Seemed an odd category for Jeopardy and none of the clues fit:)

I did pretty well throughout the game but didn't get any ts's.

For FJ I got jerry rigged right away.  I figured it was Jerry, the lowliest sailor, who got sent up the rigging to fix it as best he could.

I may have heard of jury rigged but probably more in connection with an actual rigged jury.

From www.dictionary.com:

The word jury has a few different meanings. It can be a group of people that decides the verdict in a legal case or a group of people who judge a contest. In the nautical world, it means makeshift or temporary.

Edited by Trey
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1

I tried Micronesia and Melanesia, but Polynesia NEVER entered my mind. When I was a kid, we had a large Rand-McNally map of the world wallpapered to our hallway. My brother and I used to play a game where one of us would say a country and the other had to find it on the map. He pulled a fast one on me with Melanesia, because it was a word written mostly in the ocean with BIG spaces between the letters to indicate how large an area was involved. So, of course, I never forgot Melanesia after that.

If you ever feel the need to see the most evil Mandy Patinkin ever, watch "The House on Carroll Street." How he threatens Kelly McGillis in a restaurant with a bottle of ketchup made my skin crawl.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

According to wikipedia, there are a couple of theories about how "jury" came to mean "makeshift" or "temporary."  One is that it comes the French jour, meaning "day," as in a repair that will only last for a day or so.  The other is that it comes from the Old French ajurie, meaning "help" or "relief," from the Latin adjutare ("to aid").

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'm only as the first commercial break, but Charlie has to go!  The 2 handed constant clicking is driving me nuts. I know that sounds ridiculous..and I am only watching, what  feel sorry for Dan standing next to it.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I'm only as the first commercial break, but Charlie has to go!  The 2 handed constant clicking is driving me nuts. I know that sounds ridiculous..and I am only watching, what  feel sorry for Dan standing next to it.

It does NOT sound ridiculous...I want him gone!!!

• Love 1

Ugh.  Mythology.  I have many weak subjects, Jeopardy-wise, but Mythology is particularly bad.  I said Horae, because the root has to come from "horrible", right?  No, I knew it was wrong, and probably should have known Furies, but alas.  No FJ for me.

But I did know Ray Bradbury (and it made me sad that none of the contestants knew him), the South Lawn (surprising), and dire wolf.  Dire wolf was also surprising -- weren't they a thing in Game of Thrones?  Maybe the contestants never watched the show (neither have I), but it was kind of hard to be completely ignorant of certain things.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

No, I knew it was wrong, and probably should have known Furies, but alas. 

Just to point out, the answer wasn't Furies. That was the champion's incorrect answer.  The answer was Gorgons.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Just to point out, the answer wasn't Furies. That was the champion's incorrect answer.  The answer was Gorgons.

Ooops!  I should probably proofread before I click submit!  I had even written down the correct answer!  Thanks! 🙂

(edited)

Aw, I like Charlie, really liked his story today.

I’m terrible with mythology, whether it is Greek, Roman, Norse.  I guessed witch but I didn’t think it was right.  

I knew Bradbury.  I should have known South Lawn.  I entered the lottery for the Easter Egg Roll at the White House for my granddaughter a couple of years ago.  Didn’t get in though.

Oh, and did anyone else notice, the category was American Authors, and one of the answers was a woman, can’t remember who.

Edited by zoey1996
27 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Oh, and did anyone else notice, the category was American Authors, and one of the answers was a woman, can’t remember who.

Margaret Mitchell.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Aw, I like Charlie, really liked his story today.

I’m terrible with mythology, whether it is Greek, Roman, Norse.  I guessed witch but I didn’t think it was right.  

I knew Bradbury.  I should have known South Lawn.  I entered the lottery for the Easter Egg Roll at the White House for my granddaughter a couple of years ago.  Didn’t get in though.

I like Charlie too, even if he thinks a conservative and a conservationist are the same thing.

I got Ray Bradbury, Alberich, officious, and South Lawn. In FJ I wavered between the Furies and the Gorgons and picked the Furies, because I didn't think Medusa's sisters were especially scary. Sometimes you can know too much!

• Love 1

Officious surprised me as a TS, and in that same category, I was surprised by “on-and-off-again” instead of “on-again-off-again,” which is the only way I’ve ever heard it.  South (lawn) and Ray Bradbury surprised me, too.  I had a hunch Steve Carrell was going to go unanswered, though, and I’d have bet money on the contestants joining me in not knowing Edo Castle.  (I didn’t know dire wolf, either, but wasn't didn't have a sense of how they were going to do with that clue.)

I had no idea for FJ, which is often the case when it deals with religion/mythology; sometimes I surprise myself, but not tonight.  It's a category you know you have to study (if you haven't already) if you're going to be on the show, I wonder if they all didn't prep very well in that subject or if it was a lesser-known story.

• Love 1

Inside of South Lawn, I said North Lawn. So I was... close?

The only TS I got was balloon.

For FJ I was picturing Medusa, but I couldn't think of the group of them, so I said harpies.

• Love 1

I guessed Gorgon, without really expecting to be right. Woohoo! Nice surprise.

The "diva" "prima diva" " prima donna" series of answers was cringeworthy. They must have been mad at themselves afterwards. 

Alex kind of poked fun at the pronunciation of Ljubljana, but didn't give the correct one. Unless I missed it...?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fex said:

Alex kind of poked fun at the pronunciation of Ljubljana, but didn't give the correct one. Unless I missed it...?

No, he didn't, and that was so glaring I wondered if it was cut for time (if so, bad edit -- "the more you know").  As I understand it, it's lyoo-blyah-nuh (although I've also heard the first syllable as loo instead).  I've never been there, I just "know" it from the quizzes I periodically take to maintain/expand my geography knowledge.

• Love 2