Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I know the feeling BROOKSIDE   it gave me a chance to tell my sister about my very fun but strange teacher who taught us how  REAL OLD YARDS GROW BEST IN VOMIT.   (wonder why your richard and my yard never caught on).

The Richard of York one is the one known throughout the UK, Poohbear.  The lovely thing about it is that it's historically accurate.

"Richard of York, 3rd Duke of York (21 September 1411 – 30 December 1460), also named Richard Plantagenet, was a leading English magnate, a great-grandson of King Edward III through his father, and a great-great-great-grandson of the same king through his mother. He inherited vast estates and served in various offices of state in Ireland, France, and England, a country he ultimately governed as Lord Protector during the madness of King Henry VI.

His conflicts with Henry's wife, Margaret of Anjou, and other members of Henry's court, as well as his competing claim on the throne, were a leading factor in the political upheaval of mid-fifteenth-century England, and a major cause of the Wars of the Roses. Richard eventually attempted to take the throne, but was dissuaded, although it was agreed that he would become king on Henry's death. But within a few weeks of securing this agreement, he died in battle."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I cannot miss posting this mnemonic that is probably harder to learn than how to spell the word but years, and years later I still know it! For geography....."George Earls old granny rode a pig home yesterday!" This goes back to the very late 50's....Anyone else know it? And one from college..."On old olympus towering top, a fin and german viewed a hop" for the cranial nerves...

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I finally figured it out. Sam reminds me of Robert Sean Leonard.

091130house_robertseanleonard1.jpg

I was totally thinking Will Forte. (Sorry, don't have a picture to post).

And, by the way, a rat in the house may eat the ice cream.

1 minute ago, illdoc said:

Okay...so I know one spelling mnemonic: A rat in the house may eat the ice cream (arithmetic)

Whoops - great minds!?

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ.  I remember I was in college when that whole Dan Quayle thing happened.  I'd never liked Murphy Brown, I agreed with Dan Quayle that single motherhood is not something to aspire to on purpose.   And, I apparently have always been and will always be alone on that.  Moving along.

I got the TSs of The Cherry Orchard (which I knew before she said Cherry Tree, and I can't believe that didn't give it to anybody), amend/emend, revision, and Nikolai Gogol.

• Love 1

Wow!  I really expected all three to get FJ tonight.  It was an instaget for me, and I don't even watch the show.

I also got pencil and The Cherry Orchard.

Sam reminds me of Matt Dillon.  The actor, not the Sheriff. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Wow!  I really expected all three to get FJ tonight.  It was an instaget for me, and I don't even watch the show.

I also got pencil and The Cherry Orchard.

Sam reminds me of Matt Dillon.  The actor, not the Sheriff. 

I got pencil, too.  WAs that a TS?  There were some pretty surprising TSs tonight.  

(edited)

I just learned that Sam was born in 1990. Dude needs to lose the 'stache, it makes him look 40.

I got FJ instantly (because I was NOT 2 years old during the 1992 presidential election), and the TS of pencil, transfiguration, and something else I can't remember.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2

Haven't been posting in awhile but have been enjoying reading yours. 

From Wednesday's show, I never thought I would be grateful to Ezra Pound for anything (his politics are abhorrent to me) but I will thank him for convincing T.S. Eliot to shorten The Wasteland by half.  I still twitch from memories of reading it in college.

From tonight's show, FJ was an instaget.  Murphy Brown was one of my favorite shows back in the day and I was amused that the two men got it wrong and the only woman got it right.

• Love 6

I really wish Sam would stop manhandling the buzzer. I also wish he would lose.

FJ=instaget. I even liked the reboot, mostly for the relationship between Murphy and Avery.

I got The Cherry Orchard. When I was in college we took one class during January (and spent the rest of the time drinking). For some reason, my friends and I thought a class on Turgenev and Chekhov was a good idea.

Not a mnemonic, but there is a rat in separate, since a lot of people spell it wrong. Separate, not it. I learned this from my philosophy professor in college who wrote that on my first test and deducted 5 points. Not long after, I dropped the class. lol

My most recent favorite mnemonic: King Henry Died by Drinking Chocolate Milk. I know I posted this the last time we had the mnemonic discussion.

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

The one I know for the planets doesn't work any more since they demoted Pluto. 

Bastards!!! I still haven't gotten over this.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Not a mnemonic, but there is a rat in separate, since a lot of people spell it wrong.

Oh, and...

stationery is what you write letters on, and a building is stationary because of where it’s at. 

Still have trouble with capital and capitol, though. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

The one I know for the planets doesn't work any more since they demoted Pluto. 

The one I learned can work, but I don't agree with randomly promoting and demoting, so I don't regard Pluto's status as changed (in the privacy of home--if I were ever to be in pubic, I would try to remember where Pluto stands this year).  

Maude Visits Each Monday, Just Stays Until Noon, Period.

I know there's one about Pizzas, but I can never remember it!

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Okay...so I know one spelling mnemonic: A rat in the house may eat the ice cream (arithmetic)

In my 1960s childhood, I learned the politically incorrect "a red Indian thought he might eat tomatoes in church".

(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I agreed with Dan Quayle that single motherhood is not something to aspire to on purpose.  

She didn't; the father chose not to be involved (basically, his lifestyle was not suitable for raising a child, and he wasn't willing to change it to something that would be).  I doubt Quayle would have preferred she opt for abortion over single motherhood.

I'm not going to see tonight's episode, so I looked up FJ online.  Murphy Brown was one of my favorite shows - and I particularly love the episode that wove in Quayle's remarks ("Do I look glamorous to you?!") - so it was an instaget for me. 

39 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Capital is the city, capitol is the building.  (Capital is also the letter, the asset, the crime, etc. - basically, unless you mean the government building, capital is the word you're looking for.)  I don't have a cute device for remembering that, though.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

The one I learned can work, but I don't agree with randomly promoting and demoting, so I don't regard Pluto's status as changed (in the privacy of home--if I were ever to be in pubic, I would try to remember where Pluto stands this year).  

Maude Visits Each Monday, Just Stays Until Noon, Period.

I know there's one about Pizzas, but I can never remember it!

My very elegant  mother just served us nine pizzas. 

You could replace the last two words with “nothing“ or “nachos“, depending on how generous you’re feeling. 

11 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I never could learn anything with mnemonics, except for King Phyla Called, Ordered Five Green Shirts. 

Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed.  (Get off my lawn!!)

Planets: Many Visitors Enjoy Mostly Just Sitting Under Nice (Palms)

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I got the TSs of The Cherry Orchard (which I knew before she said Cherry Tree, and I can't believe that didn't give it to anybody)...

Me too!! Should have been a gimme for one of the others.

And am I remembering this wrong, or was Dostoevsky a  TS, too?!!! (now there's a name that needs a mnemonic for spelling).

For Gogol I said "Goo- Gol- Go- something" which I don't think I'd have gotten credit for...

• Love 1
(edited)

I wound up being able to see (most of) the game, after all.

Revision and pass surprised me as TS, as did The Cherry Orchard (only because I thought that wrong guess would trigger the right one), but I figured amend/emend was going to stump them all.

The Microsoft clue belonged in the first round.  At $200.

I'm surprised only one got FJ; I'd have predicted at least two.  A "Hollywood & politics" incident about a fictional character, in 1992, big enough to make the cover of Time, and the show was revived last season?  There's a lot of info in that clue.

38 minutes ago, Fex said:

And am I remembering this wrong, or was Dostoevsky a  TS, too?!!!

Yes, it was.  They didn't do too well in that category (probably why they left it until the end) - by that point, the TS didn't surprise me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Abstract said:

I just learned that Sam was born in 1990. Dude needs to lose the 'stache, it makes him look 40.

When my brother was ordained and got his first job, he grew a beard because he felt he looked too young for his new position (he was 35 and looked about 20).

……………..

Can someone tell me what these (mentioned above) are mnemonics for?

George Earl's old granny rode a pig home yesterday!

King Henry Died by Drinking Chocolate Milk

A red Indian thought he might eat tomatoes in church

Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed

Here's one for remembering how to spell cemetery:  just imagine a graveyard where all the gravestones just have a big letter "E" on them.  (Not a mnemonic, just a memory aid.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

I put it in the reply but you must have missed it....GEOGRAPHY.

Edited by suebee12
I knew the word looked funny....forgot the H for home....oops!
  • Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Brookside said:

King Henry Died by Drinking Chocolate Milk

A red Indian thought he might eat tomatoes in church

Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed

- George Earl's old granny rode a pig home yesterday  The spelling of geography (never heard it until this thread)

- King Henry Died by Drinking Chocolate Milk  The metric system: kilo, hecto, deca, deci, centi, milli (heard it, but forgot all about it until this thread)

- A red Indian thought he might eat tomatoes in church  The spelling of arithmetic (I learned a rat in the house might eat the ice cream)

- Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed  Taxonomy: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species (I learned King Philip Came Over For Good Soup)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Abstract said:

I got FJ instantly (because I was NOT 2 years old during the 1992 presidential election), and the TS of pencil, transfiguration, and something else I can't remember.

Hey, I got something else, too! 😄

I got pencil, Homecoming, The Cherry Orchard, and transfiguration.

I'm surprised, but I don't think I've ever heard of ghost chair. I've certainly seen pictures of them.

I also got FJ. It took me a sec to put it together.

And yes, please, tell us what these mnemonics are for?

A rat in the house may eat the ice cream (arithmetic).
King Henry Died by Drinking Chocolate Milk.
... etc.

(Thanks, Bastet. )

Edited by peeayebee
Bastet answered my question.
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I put it in the reply but you must have missed it....GEOGRAPY.

I did read geography but in my mind your mnemonic was for something geographic, such as Republics in the Former Soviet Union, or world rivers by length! Sometimes I overthink things.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 2

I thought FJ would be another easy one and was surprised two contestants got it wrong. I’ll admit that Sam’s incorrect guess of Roseanne Connor was a good one!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

He reminds me of this actor, whose name I've forgotten (because I don't have a mnemonic for actors with moustaches)!

image.png.0b8a3558d3f75d1c71dd4a894631d090.png

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Capital is the city, capitol is the building.  (Capital is also the letter, the asset, the crime, etc. - basically, unless you mean the government building, capital is the word you're looking for.)  I don't have a cute device for remembering that, though.

Got it - capitol is only the one with the rotunda.  I probably knew that at some point in my life and forgot it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

She didn't; the father chose not to be involved (basically, his lifestyle was not suitable for raising a child, and he wasn't willing to change it to something that would be).  I doubt Quayle would have preferred she opt for abortion over single motherhood.

I'm sure the writers were aware that he wouldn't stick around.  Thus, yes, it was planned.

• Love 1

I don’t think I ever used any mnemonic device to remember how to spell a word.  It was easier (to me) to just remember how to spell the word than to remember a random sentence.

10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I admit it - I probably would have said cheese makers instead of peacemakers. 

I shouted that out when the category was revealed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I shouted that out when the category was revealed.

Of course, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Still its relevant to my job, I have a note at my desk that says Capital - city/town money and Capitol - building/Capitol Hill.  After over 20 years, I still need the note. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got pencil, too.  WAs that a TS?  There were some pretty surprising TSs tonight.  

I said "line" at first (because it is done) but then realized they were going for an implement, not an action.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I admit it - I probably would have said cheese makers instead of peacemakers. 

While hearing this in your head? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

He reminds me of this actor, whose name I've forgotten (because I don't have a mnemonic for actors with moustaches)!

image.png.0b8a3558d3f75d1c71dd4a894631d090.png

James Franco. Who I recognize mostly because I don't like him. Mustache or not, he seems a bit of a douche.

8 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Of course, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Still its relevant to my job, I have a note at my desk that says Capital - city/town money and Capitol - building/Capitol Hill.  After over 20 years, I still need the note. 

I always pause before using one or the other - and that's even though I frequently work with the Capital Budget. It just doesn't stick in my head. (to be clear, I'm not the finance person, so it's not like it's a daily occurrence)

• Love 2
(edited)

For FJ I blurted out Roseanne and never gave it any more thought.  If I had read the clue again I might have noticed the "politics" part  and changed to Murphy Brown because that kerfuffle was not before my time.

That 'stache makes Sam look like a Village Person.

I said "line" at first (because it is done) but then realized they were going for an implement, not an action. 

I think the contestant said "line" too.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I'm going to go back to our @teebax and the Teacher Tournament for a minute, because look what clue I just ran across in the archive, from 2011:

"The theme song of "Futurama" features chimes, also known as tubular these"

The correct response was bells, but see? Chimes should have been ruled correct. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, illdoc said:

And...that's to the Chicago Public School system, I had actually never even heard of any mnemonic for the rainbow until....Jeopardy, I believe. I think there is also one for planets. In fact, I don't think I was taught any mnemonics for anything (except....every good boy does fine).

I always remember that one as: Every Good Boy Deserves Favor (from the Moody Blues album). 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

When my brother was ordained and got his first job, he grew a beard because he felt he looked too young for his new position (he was 35 and looked about 20).

Do we know what grade level Sam teaches? I also wondered if it was to make himself appear older. It's tough being a teacher who doesn't look older than your students. (My husband did teaching during grad school, where he really wasn't much older than his students, but even when he became a professor, he was 35 and looked about 27.)

Murphy Brown was an instaget for me, although I had to go back and look up exactly what Quayle's statements had been. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I love the new champ, Sam, although I'll admit that's partly because he reminds of an actor whom I find attractive.  But he's also smart, quick on the buzzer, willing to take chances with his bets, and I find him personable as well.

I got Murphy Brown for FJ, and thought that was an obvious answer.  Although Roseanne wasn't completely out there.

I was a bit surprise that no one got The Cherry Orchard.  Although I did say Solzhenitsyn instead of both Dostoevsky and Gogol, so I guess I don't really have room to talk.  I bet he was the answer for that last clue, lol.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, peeayebee said:

Man, the new champ reminds me so strongly of an actor. I can't even remember which shows/movies he's been in.

For me, it's a vague resemblance to a sort of obscure (in the US anyway) Scottish actor who was in Game of Thrones, but it's probably a different one for you.

22 hours ago, Trey said:

Only one ts for me last night: life.  Instaget FJ even though I've never read the book or seen the movie. 

I got that one, but it was just a wild guess.  Life, that is, not the Da Vinci Code, which was an instaget.

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I can see that.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Abstract said:

I kinda like the 'stache, but yeah, it does make him look older.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got pencil, Homecoming, The Cherry Orchard, and transfiguration

So did I.  Transfiguration was a guess, but hey, I got a Jesus-y answer right!  (Not an area in which I am particularly strong.)

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm sure the writers were aware that he wouldn't stick around.  Thus, yes, it was planned.

Well, it was a fictional character on a fictional show.  Which is why Quayle was rightly ridiculed for his comments, because he sounded like he thought she was a real person.

• Love 6

So many TS tonight!  The ones I got include Mr. Rogers, Solo, Nana, Pip, Tan, Federal Insurance, and I wondered if they'd give it to me if I said MedFly.  I decided they would, since that's what everyone called those back in the day.

FJ was an instaget.  Which is nice, after a bad start for this week.

• Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

So many TS tonight!  The ones I got include Mr. Rogers, Solo, Nana, Pip, Tan, Federal Insurance, and I wondered if they'd give it to me if I said MedFly.  I decided they would, since that's what everyone called those back in the day.

FJ was an instaget.  Which is nice, after a bad start for this week.

I've never heard it called anything other than medfly!

And can anyone enlighten me on the leid(?) category?  Did I miss an explanation,  or do I just have a gaping hole in my knowledge?

And by the way, I'm doubling down on thinking the champ looks like a young Will Forte.

Edited by SoMuchTV