Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)


Athena
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was rooting for JJ since she took such obvious delight in being there.  Also she knew The Friends of Eddie Coyle.  It's one of my favorite small movies.

Me too!  JJ seemed so happy when she got a correct answer, I just enjoyed seeing her play.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

18 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

My son who barely finished (alternative) high school got it, but I didn't. 

I don't think they teach much about Woody in high school. But if your son's into roots music, or progressive politics, he's definitely heard of him.

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have a good friend from Macedonia and have visited so IG for me on FJ.

I've been through it, I think, but only when it was still part of Yugoslavia. I missed the whole controversy about Greek Macedonia. So I did not get it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
(edited)

After watching him in the introductions, now I'm convinced its Will Forte in an SNL skit.

A Mr. Darcy question!  I came up with my screen name while watching the Andrew Davies P&P.

I kicked ass in that Andrew Davies category!  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 6
Link to comment

I enjoyed J.J.'s enthusiasm as well, but I didn't think she should have gotten credit for giving last names only in the "Follow the Leader" category.  I'm not usually a stickler for giving full names (in fact, I think it's rarely a good idea to do so), but when the clue actually gives you initials, it seems like you ought to be required to provide both names that go with those initials.

I knew, based on the date, that FJ had to have something to do with the former Yugoslavia, but I couldn't come up with the correct answer.  I guess I hadn't heard of the change to "North" Macedonia, although I was vaguely aware that Greece had been disputing Macedonia's use of the name.

  • Love 9
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I enjoyed J.J.'s enthusiasm as well, but I didn't think she should have gotten credit for giving last names only in the "Follow the Leader" category.  I'm not usually a stickler for giving full names (in fact, I think it's rarely a good idea to do so), but when the clue actually gives you initials, it seems like you ought to be required to provide both names that go with those initials.

I agree.  If there are initials then you give the words for every letter. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

15 hours ago, Abstract said:

I was not able to keep score today because my kid kept distracting me. But I know I got scale, profane, rampart, House of Cards. No clue on FJ.

I got all of those, and the FJ, because the only European country I could think of which had a dispute with a southern neighbor over the name was Macedonia.

15 hours ago, Abstract said:

So Sam is a 5-day champ and yet they decided to announce the ToC early and give a spot to a 3-day champ. This doesn't make sense.

Really?  You're right, it doesn't.  If the TOC was announced at the regular time, and Sam was still champ, then he wouldn't be included in this year's tournament.  Did they really announce it early?  I honestly don't pay attention to that sort of thing.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

  I guess I hadn't heard of the change to "North" Macedonia, although I was vaguely aware that Greece had been disputing Macedonia's use of the name.

I hadn't heard of the name change either, but I remember the kerfluffle with Greece and the date seemed about right for the final breakup of Yugoslavia.

Link to comment

Instaget FJ. The name change to Republic of North Macedonia took effect just last February, so it was still relatively fresh in my memory.

My only ts's were frog's legs and rampart.

I like Sam, wish he would lose the 'stache.

Link to comment
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I got all of those, and the FJ, because the only European country I could think of which had a dispute with a southern neighbor over the name was Macedonia.

Really?  You're right, it doesn't.  If the TOC was announced at the regular time, and Sam was still champ, then he wouldn't be included in this year's tournament.  Did they really announce it early?  I honestly don't pay attention to that sort of thing.

I don't pay attention to these things either, but I would guess they announced the ToC line-up earlier than usual. Who knows if Sam will still be champion at the end of this season, but even if he is, Ryan Bilger won more games & more money than Emma & should have been seeded above her. I have nothing at all against Emma, but there are more deserving players, based on what (I thought) the criteria for making it to the ToC is. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they are having the ToC earlier than in the past due to Alex's health, treatments, etc. 

I really need to brush up on my geography because I had no idea there was a modern-day country called Macedonia - North, South, East, or West. To me, Macedonia is the ancient empire of Alexander the Great 😔 

Sam reminds me of Jim Carey around the eyes. JJ was fun & enthusiastic, but kind of slow moving, and definitely should have been made to provide first & last names in the Follow the Leader category. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Toothbrush said:

To me, Macedonia is the ancient empire of Alexander the Great 😔 

That was Greece's complaint - that Macedonia was a region of Greece, and that former Yugoslav republic should pick something else.

  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

(edited)
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I enjoyed J.J.'s enthusiasm as well, but I didn't think she should have gotten credit for giving last names only in the "Follow the Leader" category.  I'm not usually a stickler for giving full names (in fact, I think it's rarely a good idea to do so), but when the clue actually gives you initials, it seems like you ought to be required to provide both names that go with those initials.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't pay attention to these things either, but I would guess they announced the ToC line-up earlier than usual.

I read it a week or two ago and almost posted the link because I was surprised that there were contestants who didn't match 5 day or $100,000 criteria (if those are the right numbers)

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That was Greece's complaint - that Macedonia was a region of Greece, and that former Yugoslav republic should pick something else.

I guess they felt they had dibs on the name. Me, I think a country ought to be able to call itself what it wants if the other area is a region of another country, and no longer a country in and of itself. I do believe North Macedonia had as much historical right to it - but I could be wrong there, and they agreed to the change, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I guess they felt they had dibs on the name. Me, I think a country ought to be able to call itself what it wants if the other area is a region of another country, and no longer a country in and of itself. I do believe North Macedonia had as much historical right to it - but I could be wrong there, and they agreed to the change, so my opinion doesn't matter.

It's pretty complicated, and dates back to what was and wasn't called Macedonia before the Roman Empire conquered Greece.  Apparently what is now North Macedonia was not actually part of ancient Macedonia.  Seems kind of crazy to me, but hey, at least the agreement between the governments of Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia means that Greece will no longer block NM's possibly entry into NATO.  Which pisses off Vladimir Putin to no end, and that's what really matters.  ;-)

  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
Link to comment
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

It's pretty complicated, and dates back to what was and wasn't called Macedonia before the Roman Empire conquered Greece.  Apparently what is now North Macedonia was not actually part of ancient Macedonia.  Seems kind of crazy to me, but hey, at least the agreement between the governments of Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia means that Greece will no longer block NM's possibly entry into NATO.  Which pisses off Vladimir Putin to no end, and that's what really matters.  😉

Thanks for the background. I wasn't really sure about the history and geography of the original Macedonia. I've been through both, but they were  Yugoslavia and Greece when I did, and I was a kid. (After looking on the map, I realized the route we took was through what are now 5 different countries - so I can add them to my list of places I've been. Cool.)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Knew they were looking for the author of The Compleat Angler (yay), but I didn’t know who the author of The Compleat Angler is (boo hiss)

  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment

New champ made me think “Is that Jason Schwartzman’s ‘Rushmore’ character grown up?”

All three players were strong today!

I was lost on FJ, even after they revealed the correct answer.

  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Instaget FJ!  I hate the new champ and his chin pointing.

Re: Macedonia.  I could stand there for the next year and not come up with that.  I always thought it was a country from mythology, another category I suck at.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Macedonia was an instaget for me for the sole reason that I periodically do JetPunk's world countries and world capitals quizzes just to keep my memory fresh, and noticed that suddenly Macedonia became North Macedonia 😉 I also learned that Swaziland became Eswatini and Bujumbura is no longer the capital of Burundi (it is now Gitega, which I find much harder to remember as it does not sound similar to Burundi the way Bujumbura does).

Hadn't the foggiest idea for FJ today though.

  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I'm going to need Roey off my tv, asap.

I'm also 0-3 for FJ this week.

I'm looking forward to this season being over.

No, I don't care that I started all my sentences with the same word.

I'm cranky. heh

  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Not a fan of the new chin-pointing-half-my-age champion. I was rooting for my fellow Jennifer, but would have liked Sam to be a 6 day champ. He did really well though & should be in this year's ToC. Maybe next year. 

The only TS I got was Hot Springs, AR

1 hour ago, opus said:

Knew they were looking for the author of The Compleat Angler (yay), but I didn’t know who the author of The Compleat Angler is (boo hiss)

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

When FJ was read all I could say was "ah man, I don't know who wrote The Compleat Angler."  No amount of thinking was going to do it either.  

Same 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

(edited)
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Macedonia was an instaget for me for the sole reason that I periodically do JetPunk's world countries and world capitals quizzes just to keep my memory fresh, and noticed that suddenly Macedonia became North Macedonia 😉 I also learned that Swaziland became Eswatini and Bujumbura is no longer the capital of Burundi (it is now Gitega, which I find much harder to remember as it does not sound similar to Burundi the way Bujumbura does).

Hadn't the foggiest idea for FJ today though.

I love jetpunk - that's how I knew North Macedonia. I don't do the capitals - too many of 'em I don't know - but, jeez, Bujumbura? Warren Zevon wrote a song about Bujumbura and the Tutsi vs. Hutu. Never recorded it. We Zevoneers only know of it via a "field recording" of a show where he sang it.

ETA - I laughed when I realized the FJ was Izaak Walton

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I also learned that Swaziland became Eswatini and Bujumbura is no longer the capital of Burundi (it is now Gitega, which I find much harder to remember as it does not sound similar to Burundi the way Bujumbura does).

I, too, intermittently take quizzes to maintain my geography knowledge, and I also stumble over that one now.  It used to be, seeing the U's in Burundi immediately reminded me the capital was that city with another B and a bunch of U's, and I'd usually spit it out.  Thus far, I have never once remembered Gitega.

I only saw tonight's episode in bits and pieces.

I deduced "Convenience" from the clue, but prior to tonight I had never thought about what QVC stands for (I never watch it, but I know the full names of plenty of stations I don’t watch); I realized that if I'd been simply asked what it stands for, I'd have had no idea.

Add me to the list of those whose FJ response was, "Who is the guy who wrote The Compleat Angler?"

Link to comment

I am taking a seat at the table with everyone who knew the book but couldn't pull the author's name out of my brain for FJ.  

Peeayebee - you are clearly having more of a fun evening than I am.  Enjoy a glass for me!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't pay attention to these things either, but I would guess they announced the ToC line-up earlier than usual. Who knows if Sam will still be champion at the end of this season, but even if he is, Ryan Bilger won more games & more money than Emma & should have been seeded above her. I have nothing at all against Emma, but there are more deserving players, based on what (I thought) the criteria for making it to the ToC is. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they are having the ToC earlier than in the past due to Alex's health, treatments, etc. 

I honestly don't remember when the Tournament contestants have been announced in the past . . . but according to Fan Favorite Anneke Garcia, taping of the ToC is scheduled for September.

  • Useful 1
Link to comment

I'm baaaack!

From a lengthy hiatus...for one thing, my daughter and grandson were in The Music Man and I had to see them, even if it meant taking 3 planes to get there!

Is it my imagination or did they use leftover Teen Tournament clues these last 2 days? 

  • Love 8
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I am taking a seat at the table with everyone who knew the book but couldn't pull the author's name out of my brain for FJ.  

Peeayebee - you are clearly having more of a fun evening than I am.  Enjoy a glass for me!

Scoot over!  I was mentally writing "Who is The Compleat Angler guy whose name I can't come up with to save my life?"!

  • LOL 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, opus said:

Knew they were looking for the author of The Compleat Angler (yay), but I didn’t know who the author of The Compleat Angler is (boo hiss)

The title is one I recognize, but haven't a clue about the author - and am grateful it wasn't a book I was required to read as a lit major. Though perhaps it was required for philosophy?

Link to comment
(edited)
Quote
12 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

When I saw FJ, all I could think of (after Izaak Walton) was poor @M. Darcy. I hope you didn't throw anything and break your television.

I wasn't home last night so luckily my Dad gave me a warning.  Sigh.  Oh, Jeopardy.  Why must you hurt me.  Funnily enough, last Sunday was the 15th Anniversary of my show airing. 

Now, all those people who couldn't remember Izaak "evil bastard" Walton's name to save your life...welcome to one of the worst moment's of my life.  March, 10, 2004.

But...2019 was the year I finally read The Complete Angler! 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Well, poo!  Not only did my tv bae Sam lose to a really annoying guy (okay, he's probably fine, except for beating Sam), but a stupid thunderstorm made me miss the entire first round of Sam's last game.  Oh well, at least he'll probably be in next year's TOC, unless the producers do something stupid like this year.

I did, however, get FJ.  I knew who they wanted and came up with the last name Walton with just barely enough time to write it down.  Glad I wouldn't have needed his first name.

That was a fairly heinous sweater vest, though.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm baaaack! 

Welcome back! Geez, it's been a while. 

43 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

But...2019 was the year I finally read The Complete Angler! 

I'm impressed, dealing with your nemesis. Was it a page-turner?

4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did, however, get FJ.  I knew who they wanted and came up with the last name Walton with just barely enough time to write it down.  Glad I wouldn't have needed his first name.

Funny but I always remember the first name because of the spelling, then that leads me to the last name.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Not a fan of the new chin-pointing-half-my-age champion. I was rooting for my fellow Jennifer, but would have liked Sam to be a 6 day champ. He did really well though & should be in this year's ToC. Maybe next year. 

Okay, so it's not just my crush-colored view of Roey, then.  And what kind of name is that anyway?

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I was eager to see Sam leave, but as soon as the new winner started leading with his chin, I knew I had to come here to see the reaction. Egad, he's annoying. Mr. M says I'm too critical, so I tried to tamp it down, but nope, I can't help it. I agree with SHD on the Rushmore kid likeness. But the first thing that leapt to mind for me was this character from The Year Without a Santa Claus. Because I'm highfalutin like that.

MrThistlewhite.jpg

  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm impressed, dealing with your nemesis. Was it a page-turner?

I learned a lot about fishing and different types of fish.  Actually, there was something that I found quite interesting - he does mention the kosher laws dealing with seafood.  Which is interesting because at the time he wrote the book, there were not any Jews in England.  He was still very respectful.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Conflicted because new champ is posting on Reddit and seems like a nice guy, but you all are right, he is horribly annoying on screen. I am not easily irritated by contestants. In fact I usually pride myself on liking everyone and not noticing the traits that you guys complain about, but yikes! He got to me as soon as he opened his mouth.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Now, all those people who couldn't remember Izaak "evil bastard" Walton's name to save your life...welcome to one of the worst moment's of my life.  March, 10, 2004.

I like that.  He joins the pantheon with Alex-Fucking-Ander-Fucking-Graham-Fucking-Bell and His-Fucking-Ear.  September 23, 2008.

(Although that was the filming date of my game, the air date was October 30, 2008.)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I was also rooting for Jennifer, as a fellow Canadian.  I liked her demeanor and she came pretty close to making it not a runaway.

The chin pointing was annoying but I didn't notice anything else off about the new champ.

Sam looked pretty bummed about losing but he is on the list for the next ToC so that should make him happy.

My only ts was reebok.  I thought I was also going to have oryx on my list but Jennifer finally came up with it.

Like so many of you I knew The Compleat Angler and got as far as Isaak but Walton would not come out...it kept getting blocked by Newton.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I'm conflicted. I thought Nathan was cute, but holy cow... so OTT. Even so, I prefer him to Roey.

I felt like the woman in the middle should have gotten credit for bifocalifornia. 

Tie-breakers are becoming almost commonplace. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Not a good game for me.  I did not get FJ.  I think the only TS I got was analgesic.

25 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Tie-breakers are becoming almost commonplace. 

I only recall there being 2 this year including tonight.  

Interesting wagering strategy by the champ.  I remember thinking that maybe he would bet 0 hoping that if the other player got it right he would be able to win in a tiebreaker, but I was surprised he actually did it.  Maybe he felt really unconfident about the category?  I probably would have bet $1, hoping I would either get it right or he would get it wrong.  I don't think I'd bet on my trigger finger being faster.

  • Love 6
Link to comment

I hate that the tiebreaker questions are always very easy. I think I've been able to get every single one, which FAR exceeds the percentage of FJ questions I get right in the average week. It seems really disappointing to have a game come down to who can buzz in faster.

  • Love 6
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...