Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I legit forgot gorgons were an actually thing and not something invented  by Buffy The Vampire Slayer so guest furies!

The only time I'd ever heard of a gorgon was in an early episode of L&O: SVU; the gorgon was the monster in a videogame a kid was obsessed with playing, so when he identified the woman who was abusing him and his foster siblings, he did so by referring to her as the gorgon.  Similar to you, I had no idea until FJ was revealed that it was based on an existing tale rather than something the SVU writers made up.

• Love 2

Not quite an Instaget because I had to do the math first, then I questioned whether it was actually a play before it was a movie. But I applied Occam's Razor, the Jeopardy Corollary, and decided the obvious answer was most likely the right one.

Ah, DD hunting and aggressive wagering, how I've missed you. Stick around awhile, Ryan.

• Love 2

I love Before and After categories, so I really liked this game. 

I don't know how or why I know that Mozart died in 1791, but FJ was an insta-get for that reason. I didn't even notice that the clue mentioned Vienna until afterwards. 

• Love 1

I got Patrick Melrose Place! 

FINALLY - I got a Final Jeopardy this week.  Whew.  Though, when the category came up, I expected the answer to be 1776 or Hamilton.  

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I expected the answer to be 1776

That would not have been surprising since this show aired on July 4th and Jeopardy! writers seem to like doing stuff like that.

Instaget FJ for me and I was proud of myself for getting it until everyone else got it too - so, not as hard as I thought it was.  And I was happy to get a Broadway question right since that is not a strong category for me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Fex said:

I love Before and After categories, so I really liked this game. 

I don't know how or why I know that Mozart died in 1791, but FJ was an insta-get for that reason. I didn't even notice that the clue mentioned Vienna until afterwards. 

I like the before and after category, but I almost never get them!

Not sure how I came up with FJ, but I did!

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, SHD said:

I enjoyed that they guessed all of the recent Spidermen (Spider-Mans?) EXCEPT the right one. Poor Tom Holland.

It was pretty funny. I'd forgotten the other Spidermen, as Tom Holland is cute as a button and I've enjoyed watching him on talk shows.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, secnarf said:

The Patinkin category felt incomplete without a mention of Criminal Minds and the accompanying controversy. I wonder how they ended up doing a category solely about him, and what his involvement was (if any). Hopefully he can escape the Jeopardy curse.

I wondered how I managed to sweep a category about him. I've only seen him in two shows.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:24 AM, Trey said:

I said Micronesia for FJ then wondered which letter I could scratch out to make it 9 letters.  You would have thought micronesia would have led me to Polynesia but it did not.

I did the same. I was counting off the letters and knew it wasn't right, but Polynesia never entered my head - though Oceania did.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, SHD said:

I went back and forth on whether it was jury-rigged or jerry-rigged. Turns out both were right!

For some reason, I thought "jerry-rigged" was a slang term that was a slur about Germans (from one of the WWs, when they called Germans "Jerries." So it never came into my mind. Now that I know it wasn't - the term makes much more sense. 🙂

On 7/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, biakbiak said:

I was surprised Angel Island was a TS but I guess not everyone has had to have several company picnics there! 

I lived in the Bay Area for nearly 30 years, and came up with Alcatraz. Sigh.... Treasure Island did enter my mind, but Angel was off in the clouds.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, GreekGeek said:

I like Charlie too, even if he thinks a conservative and a conservationist are the same thing.

When he said TR was a conservative, the mister and I were "Whaaat?" Reminds me of my favorite bad lyric from the country song where the singer is extolling her lover's kiss and then says "it's subliminal." LOL. Someone looked up sublime and needed to make it rhyme.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, secnarf said:

Well, mythology is one of my worst categories. I guessed "Medusa", having no idea if she had sisters or what their collective name was.

I said Medusa as well. We were half right - she was a Gorgon.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Fex said:

I got it quickly, too, but it brought back painful flashbacks for me!  Final Jeopardy in my third game was about Mozart, which I completely blanked on (fortunately, so did both of my opponents), despite the clue giving me "Vienna" and "1791."

Edited to add:  Was I a weird kid in loving mythology, and reading everything about it I could get my hands on?  I know everything is easy when you know it, but I'm always a little surprised by how much trouble people seem to have with mythology questions that I think of as fairly straightforward.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Was I a weird kid in loving mythology, and reading everything about it I could get my hands on?  I know everything is easy when you know it, but I'm always a little surprised by how much trouble people seem to have with mythology questions that I think of as fairly straightforward.

Raising my hand to join the "mythology freak kid" group. In fact, even took "Classical Mythology" (taught in English) in college. Yes, that's what it said in the course list--taught in English. I guess because it was officially from the Foreign Language department, they wanted people to know that it wasn't going to be taught in Greek or whatever. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I got it quickly, too, but it brought back painful flashbacks for me!  Final Jeopardy in my third game was about Mozart, which I completely blanked on (fortunately, so did both of my opponents), despite the clue giving me "Vienna" and "1791."

Edited to add:  Was I a weird kid in loving mythology, and reading everything about it I could get my hands on?  I know everything is easy when you know it, but I'm always a little surprised by how much trouble people seem to have with mythology questions that I think of as fairly straightforward.

That FJ was an instaget for me because I love Mozart and have read more than one biography. I’ve also seen the “Amadeus” movie many, many times and have much of the dialogue memorized by default. Salieri says at the end: “Your merciful God. He destroyed his own beloved rather than let a mediocrity share in the smallest part of his glory. He killed Mozart, and kept me alive to torture. Thirty-two years of torture. Thirty-two years of slowly watching myself become extinct.”

So the “32 years after his death” in the clue led me straight to Amadeus. I didn’t even have to do the math.😊

As for the mythology FJ, I was also obsessed as a kid, mainly with the Greek (and Roman) stories, but I can’t recall the Gorgons appearing in Homer. My guess was either the Fates or the Furies.

Edited by SyracuseMug
misspelling
  • Love 3

FJ was super easy.  

I hate it when contestants are struggling for a DD answer and don't listen to me.  I was yelling "Adele!  It's Adele!"  It was actually a guess, but I was still confident enough to yell it at the guy ignoring me. You'd think this show was taped weeks ago thousands of miles away or something.

I apparently know nothing about steel. I think I only got Carnegie and tariff.  I didn't even get United Steel Workers because I'm a moron. If I'd been on the show and that was a DD, I would have been the Adele guy, and you all would be yelling at me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I only got 2 right in the first round of J6 and they're multiple choice for crying out loud.  I was hoping to get all 6 right in the next round at least to semi-redeem myself, but I only ended up with 5.  That means I got 7 right out of 12.  That's just embarrassing.  

(edited)

I know I shouldn't be shallow and should just appreciate the breadth and depth of his general knowledge, but Ryan bothers me and I'm afraid he's going to be around for a while.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5

I was visiting family and Jeopardy was playing on the TV, but I tried not to look because I need to watch from beginning to end. But wouldn't you know, I accidentally looked up just as Jim's FJ answer was revealed. 

Wouldn't have mattered, the clue would have been an instaget anyway.

I am enjoying Ryan's playing style. He needs to be a little more bold with his FJ wagers when he has a big lead. He's got good buzzer technique too.

My brother shouted out the answer to FJ tonight before I finished reading the clue, so I have no idea if I would have gotten it on my own or not. I’d like to think I would have.  

(edited)
11 hours ago, Driad said:

Glad FJ wasn't about 1500s Spanish explorers and conquistadors. I can never remember who is who. Anyone have a mnemonic?

All I know is DeSoto didn't get as far north as Arkansas (there's a legend that he did) (and I just learned that last year on my Road Trip,) and Pizarro conquered the Inca.  In American history, we spent so much damn time on Pizarro conquering the Inca, by the time the school year came to a close, we were barely up to Reconstruction. Then the next school year would start and we'd start all over again with Columbus...and get as far as Reconstruction.

I learned nothing of post-Civil War US History. There's a big gap between the War and Eisenhower, when I was a kid and started living the history as it was being made.

Re: Amadeus.  I didn't get it.  I once attended a lecture by the assistant conductor of the Atlanta Symphony and he said the correct pronunciation is "Ah-MAHD-ee-us" and gave us permission to say it that way forever more. Thanks, Willie Fred. Now I get looks like I'm an idiot when I say it that way.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
On 7/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, PaulaO said:

How in the name of whoever did the end guy miss the DD of Adele?  British? Not a skinny malinker?  One name?  It could have been Lulu.......

The clue didn't actually say "not skinny."  It just mentioned not looking like a typical model.

Which is why I guessed Twiggy. 😕

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

It's a bad start, boys [/Silverado].  I could do the math, Alex, but still didn't come up with Montreal.  I even pre-guessed a city in Canada!  I did, however, get ceiling whacks.

Ryan is killing me with the leaning and fidgeting, and, worst of all, the vocal fry.  At least the vocal fry isn't all the time.

• Love 4

I got FJ, but it was a guess. And, I'm assuming Alex's comment at being good at math making it easy had to do with the Expo and not that Montreal was apparently founded in 1642.  Yeah, Alex, I could easily do the math to get to 1967.  You didn't really have to be good at math for that.

Got the TS's of GRR Martin and Julliard.

I feel like this is the first time in a while we haven't cleared the board.  Don't like that.  Need to clear the board.

• Love 1
(edited)

If you are familiar with baseball, Expo 67 was how the Montreal Expos got their name.  Knowing that is how I got FJ.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Ugh. I blame the wine.

I said Game of Thrones instead of GRR Martin. I guess I wasn't paying attention to Alex's explanation of the categories.

I did get the TS of Lily James. Yay.

No clue for FJ. I did the math and still didn't get it. Jamestown? Nah. I had nuttin' honey.

I like Ryan. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I did get the TS of Lily James. Yay.

Got that one too. Ever since the Mamma Mia sequel I’ve been able to finally differentiate her from Lily Collins.

(edited)

Oh yeah, I got Lily James and felt bad for the lady who got mixed up and said Lily Rose. Rose was her character on Downton Abbey, and there's an MLM company called Lilla Rose that sells hair clips. 

I really like Ryan's playing style and hope he continues winning.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

It did not matter because she lost, but I believe Sarah totally changed her mammels answer from "ROO-SIS" monkey to "REE-SIS" monkey..anybody else here that difference?

I did but it wouldn’t have mattered even if she happen to win you can change your answer until Alex rules you incorrect which he didn’t do when he asked her to repeat it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Abstract said:

Oh yeah, I got Lily James and felt bad for the lady who got mixed up and said Lily Rose. Rose was her character on Downton Abbey, and there's an MLM company called Lilla Rose that sells hair clips.

And Johnny Depp's daughter is Lily-Rose. She's attempting to become an actress in movies.

I pre-guessed Saskatoon. I got FJ right away, though. My brother was in the Coast Guard in 67 and when he got a short leave, he went to Expo 67 and bought me a t-shirt that says (I still have even though I can't fit into it) "ISRAELI AIR FORCE."  I once wore that shirt into a Jewish bakery on Miami Beach, obvious shiksa that I am, and one of the ladies behind the counter asked me, "Vas you in da Var, Honey?"  I told her no, that the shirt was a gift, but then I wondered why she thought Israeli Air Force would be written in English.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

It did not matter because she lost, but I believe Sarah totally changed her mammels answer from "ROO-SIS" monkey to "REE-SIS" monkey..anybody else here that difference?

Yes, I heard it too.  Which is no doubt why Alex asked her to repeat it.

I got three mile limit and Julliard.

I pre-called Montreal for FJ and wasn't surprised that's what it was.  I even said to Mr.Trey that "North American Cities" probably means a Canadian city.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, irisheyes said:

No clue on FJ because I couldn’t think of anything important that happened in 1967. 

I was born!!  And still missed the question - I said Woodstock.  Heh, the Expo started a month before I was born - does that count as before my time?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

1967: I graduated high school; the Six-day War happened June 5-10 and we all became familiar with the visage of Moyshe Dayan and his eyepatch. Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler sentenced to life in prison, and, most important, the 25th Amendment was ratified and enacted.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

1967: I graduated high school; the Six-day War happened June 5-10 and we all became familiar with the visage of Moyshe Dayan and his eyepatch. Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler sentenced to life in prison, and, most important, the 25th Amendment was ratified and enacted.

We were stationed at Icirlik Air Force Base in Turkey at the time. A short plane flight away from the action. I remember those tense days vividly.

But since it didn't pull tourists, I didn't think of it. Did not think of anything else either. 😢

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I did not get FJ.  I said Leonidas as soon as Alex said think of the great battle, or whatever.  But, that, of course, does not count.

I got the TS of workers.

I said SD instead of ND, or vice versa.  Close doesn't count either.

• Love 1