Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

This is from the UK's Daily Mail, which has a questionable reputation at best, but it's about a young woman who had a similar education and life to the Duggars and managed to escape it.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2961897/Sexually-abused-home-schooled-offered-arranged-marriage-25-000-unable-work-didn-t-exist-extraordinary-story-victim-extreme-fundamentalists.html    It also tells a little bit about another young woman whose parents never filed a birth certificate or a SSN so she technically is a non-entity.  Very sad story, and an even more extreme example of the evil this world can produce.

• Love 9

There was a recipe for a tator tot casserole in my cooking magazine. This one used low fat cream of broccoli soup& add ins of broccoli pieces& cut up tomatoes. There's no way the Duggars would like this somewhat healthier version. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Between the Duggars and the Brown family - I never, ever, want to see idiotic flip flops again, unless someone is on the beach.  Burn them.  Go barefoot.  Wear real shoes.  Ahem.  

Flip flops are convenient and cheap, so cheap that you don't need to "save the difference". I would guess that Duggar-type flip flops would not hold up well enough to be passed on anyways.

Personally, I do not find flip flops to be the most comfortable. I converted to Tevas two years ago, and during the summer I either wear those or Sperrys. I'm a lifeguard, and most people wear flip flops or slides while working, including leather flip flops. My Tevas may not be the most fashionable, but they are far more comfortable and supportive; it does not hurt to walk after a shift with lots of standing. I also don't have to worry about getting them wet.

• Love 1

Vionic or Chaco flip flops are amazing. Never thought I'd pay $75 for a pair of flip flops, but I do. I have occasional plantar fasciitis, and these are "blessed" by the podiatrist. 

• Love 3

A question occurred to me this morning. Do the Duggars play any board or card games or do they have some stupid superstition against that? I don't recall ever seeing games or puzzles. It must be deadly dull growing up in that house with no books, no games, no music, few toys. No wonder the kids run feral--they're probably bored to tears.

• Love 5

From Duggar Family Blog 2015

Games
Phase 10
Settlers of Catan
Apples to Apples
Bananagrams
Telestrations 
Dutch Blitz
Checkers
Chess

Other Indoor Games/Actives
Puzzles
Four Square
Foosball
Ping Pong

Outdoor Sports
Basketball
Volleyball
Ultimate Frisbee
Football
Kickball

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Settlers of Catan was the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the list.

We've got Settlers of Catan - I can't believe they let them play that with the famous line that always comes up in that game.  You have to trade resources between the players to get enough resources to build things like roads and houses.  The resources are brick, wheat, sheep, wood and stone.  So when it's your turn you can say, I have wood to trade and I am looking for brick.  But it get's shortened while you're playing to I have wood for brick.  Famous joke line - was even on Big Bang I believe is:    

I have wood for sheep.  Just the juvenile humor for the howlers.  

But we do Love that game in our household.  Of course we have 1 1/2 bookshelves of boardgames in that type of genre, so seeing the sad list for all those kids, is pretty pitiful. IMHO

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

We've got Settlers of Catan - I can't believe they let them play that with the famous line that always comes up in that game.  You have to trade resources between the players to get enough resources to build things like roads and houses.  The resources are brick, wheat, sheep, wood and stone.  So when it's your turn you can say, I have wood to trade and I am looking for brick.  But it get's shortened while you're playing to I have wood for brick.  Famous joke line - was even on Big Bang I believe is:    

I have wood for sheep.  Just the juvenile humor for the howlers.  

But we do Love that game in our household.  Of course we have 1 1/2 bookshelves of boardgames in that type of genre, so seeing the sad list for all those kids, is pretty pitiful. IMHO

The “Settlers of Canaan” version, according to BoardGameGeek, renames wood to lumber and sheep to wool, probably to avoid that particular issue — I always found that hilarious.  

But, yeah, there are so many other games they could play — there’s nothing wrong with classics, but there are dozens of other games with nothing objectionable. 

• Love 2

Settlers of Catan is a really good game that does not need religiosity superimposed on it, IMHO (it seems the Settlers of Canaan version uses the tribes of Israel or somesuch nonsense). But these peoples' beliefs are so fragile they cannot risk anything that is not CONSPICUOUSLY. RELIGIOUS. and "MODEST." Idiots.

And I agree, there are tons of games they could play that would not be too "worldly" but god forbid they risk giving up their special snowflake status.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, jennblevins said:

The “Settlers of Canaan” version, according to BoardGameGeek, renames wood to lumber and sheep to wool, probably to avoid that particular issue — I always found that hilarious.  

They had to religious-ify Settlers of Catan? That's just dumb. Especially if the Duggars  are sheltered enough to not know "wood" is a euphemism for erection. Mostly though I'm surprised they know enough about economic to make Settlers fun.

Apples to Apples is also an iffy game for the Duggars, imo. Did they religious-ify that, too? (Please, someone should send them Cards Against Humanity!)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, McManda said:

They had to religious-ify Settlers of Catan? That's just dumb. Especially if the Duggars  are sheltered enough to not know "wood" is a euphemism for erection. Mostly though I'm surprised they know enough about economic to make Settlers fun.

Apples to Apples is also an iffy game for the Duggars, imo. Did they religious-ify that, too? (Please, someone should send them Cards Against Humanity!)

There’s a bible version of Apples to Apples, too, yeah. 

As for Catan, there’s Star Trek Catan and Game of Thrones Catan, so honestly, Bible Catan doesn’t really bother me - it’s just another branded version. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Outdoor Sports
Basketball
Volleyball
Ultimate Frisbee
Football
Kickball

Have we ever actually seen the Duggars play any of the sports? Does the TTH have a basketball hoop or volleyball net anywhere in view? I haven't seen more than a few episodes, but it seems to me that they mostly just sit around doing nothing or race mindlessly around like Tasmanian devils. I would think that the TLC crew would love to show the boys engaging in a pick-up basketball game or tossing a football around (the girls couldn't participate, of course, because that wouldn't be proper). They only sport they ever seemed enthusiastic about was trying to run down the cat with their coasters.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Does the TTH have a basketball hoop or volleyball net anywhere in view?

They have an entire basketball court behind the house IIRC. I haven't watched any whole episodes either but I think I remember seeing the boys playing at some point but don't quote me on that.

• Love 3

I still think there is a lot going on in their lives that isnt filmed and we never see. Not that they live normal lives but they all seem so stilted and rehearsed. as in “take 41 of Bin asking to marry Jessa - camera, lights, action!”

• Love 4
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Four square is an indoor game?  Not growing up in my house!

I also used to play it outside when growing up.  They had one episode on 19K&C where Grandma Duggar babysat some of the kids & they played it inside with her.

20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really can't imagine this family playing Apples to Apples.  I know they would have to clean up the deck and get rid of say the Mike Tyson card.  Do they also have a dictionary handy?

That one really jumped out at me. It's my favorite. But there's tons of pop culture references that would never know about. I cannot imagine them playing that game. 

2 hours ago, louannems said:

They put blue tape on the tile floor to mark the squares.

That would drive me mad. All that land, they should be outside more. I know it's hot in Arkansas, but is it really so bad that the kids can't run around and play for a bit? I guess it would be better if they weren't restricted to heavy jeans and leggings under their skirts. But we live in the midwest and my kids WANT to go outside in freezing temps and when it's super hot. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Have we ever actually seen the Duggars play any of the sports? Does the TTH have a basketball hoop or volleyball net anywhere in view? I haven't seen more than a few episodes, but it seems to me that they mostly just sit around doing nothing or race mindlessly around like Tasmanian devils. I would think that the TLC crew would love to show the boys engaging in a pick-up basketball game or tossing a football around (the girls couldn't participate, of course, because that wouldn't be proper). They only sport they ever seemed enthusiastic about was trying to run down the cat with their coasters.

I've seen photos of volleyball games, at night IIRC. With more than just Duggars.  Seems like it was on a hard surface, so probably on the basketball court?

Remember a couple of years ago when some of the Duggar kids were taking "College Plus" courses, and for a couple of weeks they were promoting it as how those kids were all "going to college"? Whatever happened to all of that? lol

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

tumblr_p62h6593sH1wag04ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p62h6593sH1wag04ao2_400.jpg

Not really sure where this goes so I'll put it here. The second picture really feels like a Version 2.0 of the first picture. Also, I think Kendra looks very striking in this picture.

Kendra does look striking next to the Duggar girls.  It helps that she has some really pretty hair that appears to be very healthy.  And she is willing to at least run a brush through it, unlike Joy.

• Love 12

I wonder what the Duggar girls eat during pregnancy. Are they still on the Tatertot casserole and Chickenetti .high carb, high sodium diet? I do have a feeling that Jinger may be eating better.

Edited by LillyB
  • Love 1

And we thought Jill was huge with Izzy as shown above...Joy, man, she looked like hell. Her massive breasts looked like they were ready to feed triplets. Sorry, if it's a bit unkind, but after knowing the outcome of her no prenatal care, bad birth plan, and the size of Giddyup, I can't help but shake my head. I hope Kendra's family has a bit more sense and has a good talk with Joe about HER birth plan. I hope Kendra isn't seeing one of the 'family practitioners'. I certainly hope that Jinger is using some common sense here and has learned from observation from her nincompoop sisters.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

tumblr_p62h6593sH1wag04ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p62h6593sH1wag04ao2_400.jpg

Not really sure where this goes so I'll put it here. The second picture really feels like a Version 2.0 of the first picture. Also, I think Kendra looks very striking in this picture.

Poor Joy, and poor Joy’s Tits. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

And we thought Jill was huge with Izzy as shown above...Joy, man, she looked like hell. Her massive breasts looked like they were ready to feed triplets. Sorry, if it's a bit unkind, but after knowing the outcome of her no prenatal care, bad birth plan, and the size of Giddyup, I can't help but shake my head. I hope Kendra's family has a bit more sense and has a good talk with Joe about HER birth plan. I hope Kendra isn't seeing one of the 'family practitioners'. I certainly hope that Jinger is using some common sense here and has learned from observation from her nincompoop sisters.

I feel the same.  I had huge breasts like Joy, and they were even bigger when my milk came in!  It was really hard to find a good bra in the 80's.

Poor Joy, and to think, that's all she'll be doing, for the next 20+ years.  Once for me was plenty.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Kendra and Jinger are glowing in that picture.  Joy is exploding...

well, to be fair to joy, she was ready to birth.  she should have looked like that.

• Love 8

Joy's always a mess, pregnant or not pregnant. If she's not going to take proper care of her hair, she needs to cut it to a more manageable level. And please, for the love of God, invest in a decent bra. Her boobs are gonna be at her ankles by 30 if she doesn't get more support. Kendra and Jinger look really pretty. It's funny how marriage has made them blossom, while Jill, Jessa and Joy are total frumps.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I took care of my  very ample upper lady parts....and I had me a good breast reduction. Best thing I ever did. Joy, are you listening?

Whooohoo, I'm finally back - after two months without a laptop. Yay me.

I have a rather ample bosom and would love to have less, but am too much of a coward to have it nibbled, so to speak. But Joy and most of those girls could really benefit from a proper bra fitting AND how to dress nicely. There's no need to be a Beauty Queen but looking and dressing nice does wonders for your self esteem

• Love 11

I would love to have a reduction, but part of me is scared to have it done.  I wonder if before marriage the girls shared bras and then whatever girl is getting married just grabs a couple when they pack up to leave the TTH, not caring what size it is or if it really fits.  I do spend money on decent bras because if I don't, my back ends up hurting.  Seeing Joy makes my back hurt in sympathy.  But I'm sure they just go to the local thrift store and buy whatever bra they can find. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

I took care of my  very ample upper lady parts....and I had me a good breast reduction. Best thing I ever did. Joy, are you listening?

Don't know if all doctors have the same opinion, but a friend of mine who wanted the reduction surgery was told it was best to have it done once you are finished having children.  Otherwise, there's a possibility they'll get too big for comfort again.  This was no problem for my friend, as far as children, she was one and done.  However, for Joy, she has a good 25 years before she can even consider herself finished with pregnancies.  Besides, they seem to be iffy on health insurance, and I'm sure JB would never shell out the money for her to have the surgery.

• Love 4

Wait now, a thrift shop, is that a charity shop where you recycle your old clothes or is it just a cheap shop? If it's charity, surely you cannot bring your undies in?? Here, they wouldn't accept undergarments of any sort.

A good bra works miracles, makes you look thinner and elongates your upper body.

42 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Wait now, a thrift shop, is that a charity shop where you recycle your old clothes or is it just a cheap shop? If it's charity, surely you cannot bring your undies in?? Here, they wouldn't accept undergarments of any sort.

A good bra works miracles, makes you look thinner and elongates your upper body.

Brand new bras with the tags still attached can be sold at our charity shops.   The Duggar girls seem to wear the cheapest sports bras or bralettes from Wal-Mart.  They probably also wear them until they are dead too.

15 hours ago, floridamom said:

I had a breast reduction 23 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life!!

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Lisa418722 said:

I wonder if before marriage the girls shared bras and then whatever girl is getting married just grabs a couple when they pack up to leave the TTH, not caring what size it is or if it really fits.  I do spend money on decent bras because if I don't, my back ends up hurting.  Seeing Joy makes my back hurt in sympathy.  But I'm sure they just go to the local thrift store and buy whatever bra they can find. 

This. I bet they shared bras, regardless of fit, like they shared all their other clothes. Most women wear bras that don't fit. It makes a WORLD of difference, wearing one that fits properly!

• Love 7