Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

It occurred to me today that one of the things that the humpers may LIKE about the Duggars is that they are lazy sacks of shit. If the Duggars actually were good people -- if they helped the poor and comforted the afflicted, volunteered in their community, used their resources to help out in times of disaster, etc. that might make the humpers feel bad about their own lives. They might have to acknowledge that being Christian is about more that being smug and white, and telling other people how to live. The Duggars are the perfect family! and they're just like them! except that they have a lot of kids and eat a lot of canned food.

• Love 21

One of our local TV station's morning show did a "Wedding in a Week" this week. The viewers chose the bride's gown, entree, cake, song, etc. It culminated this morning with the wedding & reception being held at a local hotel. Even though it was thrown together quickly (but professionally) it was so nice to see a classy "normal" wedding vs the Duggar versions.  The bride didn't talk, giggle, ask questions thru the ceremony like Joy did.  The rings didn't rappel down like Joe's nor arrive by drone like the Maxwell/Bontrager wedding. There were no confetti cannons nor other tacky decorations.  Their kiss was just a regular kiss - No dipping, mauling or fish lips. Believe it or not, the couple WALKED back down the aisle during the recessional hand in hand,  smiling & making eye contact with their guests. Husbands didn't jump out of the congregation to dip & kiss their wives who were in the wedding.  The music was the typical recessional music not a college victory march. The reception was held in an adjacent room not the church lobby.  Since it was breakfast/brunch time, the meal was a fancy egg dish vs. popcorn, snack mix, pickles & rice krispie treats.  The happy couple was shown mingling with & enjoying  their guests rather than announcing they couldn't stay long & had to leave. This wedding was such a pleasure to watch. 

• Love 16
On 11/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

THIS!  I went to a private Christian school for part of my upbringing.  They used mostly ABEKA curriculum, but I do remember their math books were excellent.  Even though my parents didn’t attend the church at the school and found most of the beliefs extreme, they did believe that for the most part that private schools provided a better education, or was supposed to since public school was something that was “free” and you still had to pay property tax even when your kids went to private schools.

When I got to public school, I found myself behind from where I wanted to be academically.  I think if my parents knew that public school had an advanced/honors tier and kids weren’t painting their toenails in class there.  I also found myself very socially awkward and I knew that I had been warped by the crazy religious teaching. I felt like a pariah, because I was perceived as being “one of those weirdos” when I had little to do with it.  I wore pants every day of my life to school after I got out of that prison. Fortunately, my parents learned their childrens’ education was more important.

Arwen, I didn't know this!

I went to Christian school also and used Abeka. I changed to public high school and was way, way ahead.  Interesting experiences using the same curriculum! 

• Love 3
On 2/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, Marigold said:

THIS!  I went to a private Christian school for part of my upbringing.  They used mostly ABEKA curriculum, but I do remember

ABEKA was used in my kids main-stream Methodist preschool program (K3-K5 but son used 1st grade too because he was reading at 3). It’s a pretty good curriculum. Both kids had a good foundation in math and reading before moving to public school in first grade. 

As a public school employee no curriculum is perfect. Your job is to figure out the holes and teach them. 

• Love 5

When I was being homeschooled (1999-2007), I remember a lot of people considering it the gold standard curriculum, and that still seems to be the case with a lot of folks. We didn't use it because my family was never terribly formal, but my cousin did at around the same time I was being homeschooled. From what I remember her saying, she thought it was pretty solid academically, though she also thought some of the social studies material was overly preachy. 

• Love 1
On 10/31/2017 at 8:40 PM, cmr2014 said:

I really think that if this was anything other than a white, Christian family, that all of these humpers would be screaming bloody murder and speed-dialing DCS to have the children removed from the home.

If this was an African-American family living in poverty, feeding their family with 'love offerings,' and stacking their children like cord-wood in a tiny house, those same humpers would be outraged.

If this was a Muslim family keeping their children out of school to prevent them from being 'tainted' by the world, and selling their children into arranged marriages, they would be furious that they refuse to assimilate and be part of main-stream American culture.

If they were any sort of brown-skinned American family and the girls were married off as help-meets and kept slovenly homes and didn't know how to cook, they would all shake their heads about the natural indolence of 'those people.'

I could be wrong, of course, and the humpers could all be wonderful, loving people who simply adore large, religious families, but I don't think  so.

A Black couple who homeschools have 9 kids. You won't believe the hate comments 

• Love 11

Abeka phonics program rocks. Two of my kids learned to read with it in a matter of weeks, after other programs got us nowhere. Abeka math is really thorough at least for elementary. Their science is painful, and I’m talking painful even if you agree with the creationist perspective. Badly written, dry as dust.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2018 at 10:30 PM, Barb23 said:

I think Kelly Bates used ABEKA for part of her home schooling. I've heard good things about it.

I’ve read the ABEKA 5th grade “science” book and it’s straight young earth creationist. I’m not kidding when I tell you that it teaches that dinosaurs breathed fire. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:
On 2/12/2018 at 7:30 PM, Barb23 said:

I think Kelly Bates used ABEKA for part of her home schooling. I've heard good things about it.

I’ve read the ABEKA 5th grade “science” book and it’s straight young earth creationist. I’m not kidding when I tell you that it teaches that dinosaurs breathed fire. 

Pretty much all of the Christian homeschooling science and social studies curriculum sucks. The science because it is all based on Genesis and a young earth. The social studies because it's based on a purely white Christian point of view. I used the Switched on Schoolhouse that the Duggars use for math and English because at the time it was the only computer-based curriculum, but we used regular grade school textbooks for science and social studies, along with the library, Magic Schoolbus kits, and the Internet.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I find it funny and a little ironic that I am seeing ads for modest swimwear when I come to the 19 Kids and Counting forum page. A possible message from above?!

Me too, for several days now. Too funny.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I find it funny and a little ironic that I am seeing ads for modest swimwear when I come to the 19 Kids and Counting forum page. A possible message from above?!

I’m seeing ads for financially management classes. Maybe my headship and I should sign up! 

• Love 1
On 2/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, bigskygirl said:

Thanks...went down the rabbit hole to look at modesty swimwear.  Are there modest beaches where fundies can frolic in their fundie best far from prying eyes?  Otherwise NIKE!!!!!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Thanks...went down the rabbit hole to look at modesty swimwear.  Are there modest beaches where fundies can frolic in their fundie best far from prying eyes?  Otherwise NIKE!!!!!

If there were they probably wouldn't go to them. I'm sure half the fun of a day at the beach is getting to sit in judgement of all the bikini wearing hussies they see, while feeling superior about how modest they perceive themselves to be.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, kalamac said:

If there were they probably wouldn't go to them. I'm sure half the fun of a day at the beach is getting to sit in judgement of all the bikini wearing hussies they see, while feeling superior about how modest they perceive themselves to be.

I can picture JB and Josh drooling in their socks over seeing half naked women in bikinis. Quick someone hand me the brain bleach please.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, bigskygirl said:

I’m jealous you guys All I get for ads is detox diet?

Edited by Rabbittron
AutoCorrect is stupid
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I get memory foam mattress ads

I have (at least on this page) chandeliers, magnetic eyelashes, and a Disney movie club...pretty random given that I'm sure I searched other things at some point in the recent past, but not these in particular.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have (at least on this page) chandeliers, magnetic eyelashes, and a Disney movie club...pretty random given that I'm sure I searched other things at some point in the recent past, but not these in particular.

Never knew those existed. Magnetic??

Just now, GeeGolly said:

Never knew those existed. Magnetic??

Yes. You should have had them for the wedding. @Celia Rubenstein may have defrauded all of us when she saw you walking down the aisle. But since she had the eye infection from the communal green eyeliner, she may not have seen you clearly, so never mind. Carry on ...

• Love 4

Currently I am enjoying an ad for something called Fluker's Five Star bearded dragon treats. 

Freeze dried worms. In a jar. Yum.

I don't know what I clicked on that caused this ad to appear but I wish I knew so I could never click it again. It makes me wish my eyes were still swollen shut.

• Love 13
38 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

Up until about a week ago, I got a ton of ads for breast pumps. I am not now and never have been pregnant, so I have no idea what, other than reading about the Duggars, might have caused them to show up. 

I get ads like those on Facebook all the time.  Yes I am a female of childbearing years, but am childfree.  I know at least Facebook uses the age and sex of users to target ads. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jennblevins said:

Up until about a week ago, I got a ton of ads for breast pumps. I am not now and never have been pregnant, so I have no idea what, other than reading about the Duggars, might have caused them to show up. 

I know that I suggested that people donate to Planned Parenthood in Anna's name after her roadside protest last week. I've no doubt that triggered my ad. There might have been more before that, but I typically scroll past them on my laptop. I don't get them on my phone. 

3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I have an ad blocker on my devices and see no ads.  Free. 

I feel guilty using ad blocker on this site, because I read here for free..and was devastated by the loss of TWoP. I don't want this site to go belly up for lack of

ad revenue.

See, Duggars? Even non-religous people like me can have a conscience (especially if it affects something I care about, like this site, heh.)

I'm also a huge hypocrite, because I use ad blocker on other sites all the time.  

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I feel guilty using ad blocker on this site, because I read here for free..and was devastated by the loss of TWoP. I don't want this site to go belly up for lack of

ad revenue.

See, Duggars? Even non-religous people like me can have a conscience (especially if it affects something I care about, like this site, heh.)

I'm also a huge hypocrite, because I use ad blocker on other sites all the time.  

User comments are what attracts people to this site, and we provide them for free. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Watching Match Game 77 on youtube, and the one celebrity super match question was blank of life. My first thought was Season of Life. Darn those Duggars! I wish they would get out of my head.

For a while there, it seemed like everything I did I would think how the Duggars would do it, use it, etc. esp. with cooking. Mainly it was "this is a simple healthy dish the Duggars could prepare easily & would probably eat."

Re: the pop up ads.  I remember way back when we were discussing the gawdy ring Boob bought Mechelle for her birthday or their anniversary I got plenty of jewelry ads. Except the ads were for much better items than that cheap thing. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I’m seeing ads for how to clean a toilet. Are they trying to tell me something?

Have you been posting a lot about Ben?  

23 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm now getting ads for magnetic eyelashes - WTH?, mini golf, walmart grocery pick up, rugs, and furniture, as well as a sonic cleaner.  Okkkaaayyy then

Haha. Wal-Mart and mini golf make total sense for this site!

• Love 4

Procrastination for the win. I just realized that the only Duggar wedding where a family member wasn't pregnant was Jill's.

Josh and Anna-Michelle was pregnant with Jordyn

Jessa and Ben-Jill was pregnant with Izzy

Jinger and Jeremy-Jessa was pregnant with Henry

Joy and Austin-Anna was pregnant with Mason, Jill was pregnant with Samuel

Joe and Kendra-Anna was pregnant with Mason, Joy was pregnant with TBA

And for funsies

Amy and Dillon-Jessa was pregnant with Spurgeon.

Yup. They might as well just buy the wedding maternity dresses in bulk.

• Love 16