Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

My cucumber salad is a sort of Polish staple...just very thinly sliced (shaved, really) cucumbers with a little bit of salt & pepper,sour cream, and a little mayonnaise. Traditionally a bit of dill, but since Mr Jyn is not really a fan, I usually skip that.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My cucumber salad is a sort of Polish staple...just very thinly sliced (shaved, really) cucumbers with a little bit of salt & pepper,sour cream, and a little mayonnaise. Traditionally a bit of dill, but since Mr Jyn is not really a fan, I usually skip that.

My mom makes the same also without the dill.  I keep on trying to get her to use it, but she never does.  I'm a bad polish American girl who hates sour cream.  

3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

This sounds good, especially the dill.

With school about to start nationwide, I am once again wondering how it works for the Duggars.  Does each family homeschool only their children, or do they all gather at the TTH for group sessions?  Is anything going on other than plopping them in front of a computer?  I'm guessing that Anna works with her own children separately, but I really have no idea.  The whole education part has always been my main interest in the Duggars.

• Love 2

Thai cucumber salad is made with cucumber, sliced onion, sugar and vinegar. And sometimes a sliced red chili in it. I love it and make it quite often. And I remember one of the later “Little House” books talking about sliced cucumber sprinkled with vinegar and sugar. But then they also ate sliced tomatoes with sugar and cream. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

And I remember one of the later “Little House” books talking about sliced cucumber sprinkled with vinegar and sugar. But then they also ate sliced tomatoes with sugar and cream. 

That's the way my grandmother served cucumbers (which is why we still do it today). She also sprinkled sugar on sliced tomatoes. 

23 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

Thai cucumber salad is made with cucumber, sliced onion, sugar and vinegar. And sometimes a sliced red chili in it. I love it and make it quite often. And I remember one of the later “Little House” books talking about sliced cucumber sprinkled with vinegar and sugar. But then they also ate sliced tomatoes with sugar and cream. 

My mother is from Iowa, the land of good, home-grown tomatoes, and her family always put sugar on them.  So sad to ruin good tomatoes.  I thought that was what you were supposed to do until I was about 8 and tasted a plain, good tomato.

My dad's family pours milk over popcorn and eats it with a spoon.  I actually really like it this way.  It just looks strange.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My dad's family pours milk over popcorn and eats it with a spoon.  I actually really like it this way.  It just looks strange.

Laura Ingalls Wilder mentions milk and popcorn in "Farmer Boy" (the story of her husband's childhood). I find it a strange idea, but apparently, it's a real thing.

• Love 5

Boytron is finally starting to eat more veggies. I always had to get him a plain hamburger until  I started calling a hamburger a Krabbie Patty with all the stuff on it now he is willing to try different food.

• Love 6

I had my first Duggar dream last night.  Well, at least the first one I remember.

Jana and *gasp* M'chelle were cooking a special dinner for the family and Mr. Dragon and myself at the TTH.  They were making their "famous" lasagna.  None of that stoffer's lasagna for us!

They took small ramikins? and put, I kid you not, chef boyardee type ravioli in them, with the sauce - although I'm sure it was an aldi or walmart brand.  Then they sprinkled cheddar cheese from a bag on it and then topped them with uncut cherry tomatoes.  Voila!  At one point M'chelle laughed and said that Boob really like tomatoes so she put a whole, uncut, regular tomato on top of his.  They then put them in the oven.  Somehow, I can see this happening, except for the part of M'chelle helping .

If this shows up on Jill's recipe blog I sooo want credit.

Edited by DragonFaerie
shows are not shoes
  • Love 22
6 minutes ago, graefin said:

All in all it's just another brick in the wall ?

Couldn't help myself.  This is on not only the Duggars education but the Duggars themselves.

Your life is trite and jaded
Boring and confiscated
If that's your best, your best won't do

• Love 3

Ok, so between married and engaged we have:

JD and Abbie - she has an LPN license

Jill and Derick - he has a Bach in Accounting and has now entered law school

Jessa and Ben - he got an associate degree I believe and is in some type of online school?

Jinjer and Jeremy - He has a Bach's in Business Admin and is now into a 4 year accredited school for a Theology? degree of some type

Joy and Austin - he flips houses.  Does he have his contractor's license?

Si and Lauren - I believe some reference was made to her taking a college class but don't know if we ever learned that for real.

Joe and Kendra - I got nothing.

It seems that the Duggar kids are attracted to people that have some type of education and are interested in getting higher educations.  And yet none of them seem to have gone, ooh, I would like to try this.  Hopefully a Duggar, somewhere along the way, gets inspired and goes for either some type of real education or trade school - no I don't count Jill's midwifery fail as higher education, especially with how much she seemed to have retained from that.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

It seems that the Duggar kids are attracted to people that have some type of education and are interested in getting higher educations.  And yet none of them seem to have gone, ooh, I would like to try this.  Hopefully a Duggar, somewhere along the way, gets inspired and goes for either some type of real education or trade school - no I don't count Jill's midwifery fail as higher education, especially with how much she seemed to have retained from that.

I don't think this is possible at all.

For one thing, they are between a rock and a hard place with JB. There are waaaaay too many of them for JB to fund their education, even if he thought there was any value in it. He also forbids any type of debt, and any child who relies on him for financial support (most of them) can't take out any loans. They also don't have the skills to qualify for scholarships and are too wealthy to qualify for much in the way of financial aid.

The other issue is that they literally have no experience with school, and I doubt they'd even know where to begin. They wouldn't know how to apply, or enroll, or pick classes. They have no experience in getting up in the morning and being someplace at a set time. They have no experience of studying -- as far as I know the SODRT consisted of Wisdom Booklets, and later some on-line stuff. I don't think any of them has literally ever cracked a book, taken a test, or written an essay.

They could overcome these things, of course, but it would take an enormous amount of drive and ambition -- I have seen zero evidence that any of them have even normal amounts of those qualities, much less the extraordinary strength of character that they would need.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think this is possible at all.

For one thing, they are between a rock and a hard place with JB. There are waaaaay too many of them for JB to fund their education, even if he thought there was any value in it. He also forbids any type of debt, and any child who relies on him for financial support (most of them) can't take out any loans. They also don't have the skills to qualify for scholarships and are too wealthy to qualify for much in the way of financial aid.

The other issue is that they literally have no experience with school, and I doubt they'd even know where to begin. They wouldn't know how to apply, or enroll, or pick classes. They have no experience in getting up in the morning and being someplace at a set time. They have no experience of studying -- as far as I know the SODRT consisted of Wisdom Booklets, and later some on-line stuff. I don't think any of them has literally ever cracked a book, taken a test, or written an essay.

They could overcome these things, of course, but it would take an enormous amount of drive and ambition -- I have seen zero evidence that any of them have even normal amounts of those qualities, much less the extraordinary strength of character that they would need.

I think JB picks certain ones for his sons and daughters to make a point. He wants to prove he can pick and allow ones like Abbie for JD with her degree and allegedly working in the nursing field, Deredick for Jill with his useless college degree and now law school, and Jeremy with his educational background and worldly experiences for Jinger to make a point about not being anti-education or not being flexible enough when it comes to picking the right ones for his children. He can state until we all are blue in the face about his children picking the right ones, but we all know who has the final say so. Of course he has hit rock bottom when it comes to Jill and Deredick and Smuggly Do Wrong and Mrs. Smuggly Do Wrong, but he feels he is still picking the right ones for his children. He thinks in his small pathetic mind, all of his children are doing well enough without the need for pesky evil real education outside of Duggar Land. He probably feels by picking Deredick, Abbie and Jeremy he has chosen the ones to help at least three of his children expand their world without furthering their own educational needs.

14 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree with you. I am surprised none of the boys (besides JD) have an license of some kind (unless a few have their real estate license I cannot remember). I could’ve seen JB supporting the boys getting the credentials to be carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc to better maintain HIS properties. I think if Joy had a higher IQ, JB would’ve allowed her to become a legit midwife- 1. She was head kooliad drinker, 2. The family would need one. 

I do wonder what the older boys do all damn day. How come that’s never featured on Counting On?

• Love 4

JD only got his pilot license because it benefits JB, not because having a pilot license benefits JD. JB only wants his children to work in fields where it benefits him the most.

Edited by bigskygirl
2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

JD only got his pilot license because it benefits JB, not because having a pilot license benefits JD. JB only wants his children to work in fields where it benefits him the most.

Right-but to have JD be the only adult son doing such a thing is odd. What about Joseph, Josiah and the twins? (Jason is just this side of 18 so I’m giving him a pass)

• Love 2

I don't know that the Duggar kids are attracted to people with educations so much as it's just fairly probable that most folks their age will have some higher education. Just looking at some statistics from a few years ago, but for people 25-29, 90% had a high school diploma or higher, nearly 50% had an associate's degree or higher, and over 1/3 had a bachelor's degree or higher. I think the Duggar spouses are just representative of a larger trend in American society, one that shows how unusual the Duggars are in not letting their children pursue such interests.

I live in rural blue-collar Arkansas and I know a lot of folks who don't have a college degree, but a lot of those same people have taken classes at the local vocational schools or community colleges. The Duggars seem behind even that. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know that the Duggar kids are attracted to people with educations so much as it's just fairly probable that most folks their age will have some higher education. Just looking at some statistics from a few years ago, but for people 25-29, 90% had a high school diploma or higher, nearly 50% had an associate's degree or higher, and over 1/3 had a bachelor's degree or higher. I think the Duggar spouses are just representative of a larger trend in American society, one that shows how unusual the Duggars are in not letting their children pursue such interests.

I live in rural blue-collar Arkansas and I know a lot of folks who don't have a college degree, but a lot of those same people have taken classes at the local vocational schools or community colleges. The Duggars seem behind even that. 

Yes I agree. Just like most of the Duggar spouses don’t come from mega families (Anna, Kendra and Lauren do), mega families are rare even in their cultural milieu. Anna, Kendra, Lauren come from families of 8-9 children (with the latter two women’s mothers recently given birth), not 19 such as the Duggars or even a dozen. Even in their own small circle of “like minded” people they stick out- 1. They are just weird (no manners or basic concepts of human interaction), 2. Tv fame and money has allowed them to indulge their worst traits. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I agree. Just like most of the Duggar spouses don’t come from mega families (Anna, Kendra and Lauren do), mega families are rare even in their cultural milieu. Anna, Kendra, Lauren come from families of 8-9 children (with the latter two women’s mothers recently given birth), not 19 such as the Duggars or even a dozen. Even in their own small circle of “like minded” people they stick out- 1. They are just weird (no manners or basic concepts of human interaction), 2. Tv fame and money has allowed them to indulge their worst traits. 

The TV part is critical, I think. I don't think they ever thought about supporting themselves outside of Daddy's businesses, so there was no further incentive to be practical and actually think of ways to have a future.  

They remind me a bit in reverse of some folks I met in academia who came from well-to-do families. There were a small handful of people who could be quite disdainful of folks who made decisions based on practical matters, like paying bills and having jobs after graduating. They were and are professional students, and they didn't care about whether they would have jobs or would be able to pay rent after they finished their programs because their parents were subsidizing their existence. 

On the flip side, I've met a couple of fundie families that are Duggar-esque. They are homeschoolers from big families and dissuade their children from higher education. All have family-run businesses that they just funnel the kids into. Their poor kids are never encouraged to develop individual interests or plans, and I have never seen any indication they have ever planned for what would happen if the business suddenly fails or something else cuts off that source of income.

I can only imagine how much worse the Duggars are since they've also had TV money rolling in for years. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I do wonder what the older boys do all damn day. How come that’s never featured on Counting On?

Every time they are at home in the background they all seem to be just sitting on the sofa on their phones.  Like when they went tie and sock shopping for Joe's wedding.  Most of the boys sat around on their phones.

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joe has a RE license, but he's selling cars. Go figure.

How much real estate can actually be for sale in their area?  With Boob, and Grandma and at least Joe and I think one or 2 others in real estate, how much can they successfully sell?  There has to be other real estate agents in the area as well.  And once again, how many folks need to buy a used car as well?  I think it would have been so much better for the boys to pick and choose and some do a trade school with plumbing, electrical, mechanical, hvac, etc.  Now the boys are just competing with each other for a sale.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

How much real estate can actually be for sale in their area?  With Boob, and Grandma and at least Joe and I think one or 2 others in real estate, how much can they successfully sell?  There has to be other real estate agents in the area as well.  And once again, how many folks need to buy a used car as well?  I think it would have been so much better for the boys to pick and choose and some do a trade school with plumbing, electrical, mechanical, hvac, etc.  Now the boys are just competing with each other for a sale.

Duggars are bottom of the barrel, for sure, but the NWA metro area has a population of over 1/2 a million and is rapidly growing. My uncle used to be in real estate down there (has since relocated) and is kicking himself for not still being in the area. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Every time they are at home in the background they all seem to be just sitting on the sofa on their phones.  Like when they went tie and sock shopping for Joe's wedding.  Most of the boys sat around on their phones.

How is competing with his own father. I doubt Mary is that active in the market anymore (although she still has properties in her name). At this point, Joe is the only son with a license. So far, the only property in his name is an unimproved plot along a highway in Benton County.

If he has listed and sold property, I think we would have heard about it.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I would love to see what an actual workday is for those boys. I understand JB has a lot of small businesses, but he's also employing Josh, JD, Joe, Si, Jer, Jed, Jason and Bin, with James and Justin soon to follow. Aside from general maintenance and collecting monthly rents, is there really enough to keep these guys occupied for a 40-hour work week?

• Love 12
4 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

How much real estate can actually be for sale in their area?  With Boob, and Grandma and at least Joe and I think one or 2 others in real estate, how much can they successfully sell?  There has to be other real estate agents in the area as well.  And once again, how many folks need to buy a used car as well?  I think it would have been so much better for the boys to pick and choose and some do a trade school with plumbing, electrical, mechanical, hvac, etc.  Now the boys are just competing with each other for a sale.

Would JB even see the value in a trade school? After all, the Duggars can absorb all the plumbing, hvac & electrical knowledge they need just by watching someone for a few minutes. License? Who needs an actual license?

• Love 9

The used car market can be incredibly profitable (like the one Josh had)

Most dealers have buyer make the down payment = the amount dealer paid for car, so any payments made by buyer is profit.  If buyer doesn’t pay at all or quits paying, dealer repos car and puts it on the lot again...to be sold again at a complete profit.  This can On for years with 5+ different buyers.

I do remember reading a few years ago that John David had a group of duplexes in the next county that he owned or he and Joe owned (but it was under another name) and they also did all the maintence. John David and Jana were also said to own a house or two that was managed by an outside company.   It came out at the same time Josh’s dummy company was buying of selling houses when he moved back to AR

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 3

Do any of these people plan ahead for the future (snerk)? Someday, Jim Bob and Mechelle will be gone. How in the world do you split an estate amongst 19 children?  (If that’s even the plan).  I know that some kids (may have their own careers and may not be so needy) but what about all the kids that work for JB and therefore will struggle with no income other than that from Jim Bob.  Yes some live on houses on the land but what happens then?  And to all the zillions of grandchildren?  Does JB really have so much  money that a gazillion descendants can live on it forever? <Shudder>

Edited by MORGANH
  • Love 4

Jim Bob did say on camera some years ago, that he supported his children learning skills that would benefit the family. I don't see anything outside of that yet. John David was allowed to pursue flying because his daddy thought he could use a personal/private/free pilot to fly his aircraft FOR THE FAMILY'S BENEFIT. So sad that they are limited to serving their father.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, MORGANH said:

Do any of these people plan ahead for the future (snerk)? Someday, Jim Bob and Mechelle will be gone. How in the world do you split an estate amongst 19 children?  (If that’s even the plan).  I know that some kids (may have their own careers and may not be so needy) but what about all the kids that work for JB and therefore will struggle with no income other than that from Jim Bob.  Yes some live on houses on the land but what happens then?  And to all the zillions of grandchildren?  Does JB really have so much  money that a gazillion descendants can live on it forever? <Shudder>

They're screwed. Boob's net worth is estimated at around 4 mil, but who knows if that figure is accurate. This is the same guy who blew 250k on a doomed Senate campaign, so I'm not entirely convinced he's the financial wizard he makes himself out to be. Even if it's a legit number and he kicked the bucket tomorrow, dividing that by 19 only leaves each kid with a little over 200k apiece. A nice chunk of change, but certainly not "set for life" money, especially if the younger couples are on the same breeding schedule as Michelle. 

• Love 14

I can't see JB splitting everything evenly by all 19 kids unless he has never drawn up a will.  Before the Joshley Madison scandal, I can see him leaving everything to Josh and expecting Josh to take care of his siblings.  Maybe he would actually have it in the will for Josie's needs to be taken care of, but the rest of the kids would be SOL.  I can't see him leaving anything to his daughters since they should all have husbands to support them. 

• Love 3

If JB kicks it, everything will probably go to Michelle, and stay exactly as it is now.  In fact, I'd imagine the parents have a family trust that designates where everything goes when eventually the surviving spouse dies.   They may both be idiots, but I'll imagine a lot of time & effort has gone into their estate planning. 

None of the kids or grands are getting cash or property outright if one or both die.  Likely there are many layers of ownership and dummy companies created to avoid paying taxes wherever possible. They are ignorant and cheap, but not stupid when it comes to legal manuvers.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 15
On 8/12/2018 at 5:36 PM, DragonFaerie said:

I wonder what they’re so busy with on their phones?  Unchaperoned texting?  Who is monitoring their internet usage?  

Yes, the eternal mystery of how on earth there could be enough real estate and used cars to support this family!  Those piddling little businesses have to be a front for something. Or just someplace for the guys to go hang out so they can pretend they have jobs. 

• Love 8
On 8/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, Soaper410 said:

The used car market can be incredibly profitable (like the one Josh had)

Most dealers have buyer make the down payment = the amount dealer paid for car, so any payments made by buyer is profit.  If buyer doesn’t pay at all or quits paying, dealer repos car and puts it on the lot again...to be sold again at a complete profit.  This can On for years with 5+ different buyers.

I do remember reading a few years ago that John David had a group of duplexes in the next county that he owned or he and Joe owned (but it was under another name) and they also did all the maintence. John David and Jana were also said to own a house or two that was managed by an outside company.   It came out at the same time Josh’s dummy company was buying of selling houses when he moved back to AR

I wonder why we don’t hear any inside dirt on them from people who live in their properties or who do business with them?  You’d think people in the area would know them well and it would be generally known where these guys hang out all day and what, if anything, keeps them busy. 

• Love 7
On 8/5/2018 at 10:48 AM, Nysha said:

My late husband used to make a salad kind of like this with cucumbers, Walla Walla sweet onions, vinegar, and sugar. I hated it, but his entire family thought it was the bomb. 

Growing up we had something like this as well.  It was cucumber and red onion with red wine vinegar.  I don't know if my mom put sugar in it.

So I'm at the grocery today because I bailed earlier this week and had to go today.  You know, Friday.  Even if I get there around lunch, the traffic here on a Friday, well, let's just say, that my line is Friday is the day they give the patients at the insane aslyum the keys. **No offense to mental health issues, I have 2 myself.*** But it's totally crazy here on Fridays.

I'm going past the butcher counter at my favorite grocer's and a man and his teenage daughter walk pass from the opposite direction.  She pulls her hand into her sweatshirt sleeve (it was 85 outside, so go figure that one) the covers her nose and mouth and loudly exclaims, "What is that awful smell?!"  She was in front of the fresh fish.  Many folks turn to stare at her and the butcher gives her a classical Severus Snape eyebrow look.  

My first thought was, "What a Duggar."  Mainly from this article where the Duggar kids were rude at an Ethiopian restaurant in Washington.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/rude-duggars-160442

• Love 4

I always hated when the Duggars went to ethnic restaurants just so the cameras could capture the kids rolling their eyes and making stink faces. You already know going in that they'll turn their noses up at the food, so why insult the restaurant staff like that? Just take them to a fucking McDonald's so they can stuff their faces full of sugar and chemicals and call it a day. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

So I'm at the grocery today because I bailed earlier this week and had to go today.  You know, Friday.  Even if I get there around lunch, the traffic here on a Friday, well, let's just say, that my line is Friday is the day they give the patients at the insane aslyum the keys. **No offense to mental health issues, I have 2 myself.*** But it's totally crazy here on Fridays.

I'm going past the butcher counter at my favorite grocer's and a man and his teenage daughter walk pass from the opposite direction.  She pulls her hand into her sweatshirt sleeve (it was 85 outside, so go figure that one) the covers her nose and mouth and loudly exclaims, "What is that awful smell?!"  She was in front of the fresh fish.  Many folks turn to stare at her and the butcher gives her a classical Severus Snape eyebrow look.  

My first thought was, "What a Duggar."  Mainly from this article where the Duggar kids were rude at an Ethiopian restaurant in Washington.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/rude-duggars-160442

One of Marcus Samuellson's American travelogue/epicurean episodes lands him smack dab in the Ethiopian community of DC. Oh, how I thought of the Duggars trashing this beautiful culture.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I remember watching this video, and being fairly surprised.  For all that we snark on Michelle, she was a good sport and was polite about the food.  Meanwhile, JimBlob over there was making faces and stabbing his chopsticks into things, a major no no.  I remember being sad that the kids weren’t even interested in trying to like the food, minus Jordyn of course.  I want to take her home and feed her Chinese food.  

Damnit I want to eat that food with them, it looks so good for such unappreciative assholes.

I hate when people in america remark on “adventurous eating”.  Just because your bland ass can’t handle more than a sprinkle of salt on a chicken breast doesn’t make the food 75% or the world eats “adventurous”.  If you ask my 85 year old Chinese grandma, processed cheese is a foreign and exotic concept.  

• Love 16
19 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

I remember watching this video, and being fairly surprised.  For all that we snark on Michelle, she was a good sport and was polite about the food.  Meanwhile, JimBlob over there was making faces and stabbing his chopsticks into things, a major no no.  I remember being sad that the kids weren’t even interested in trying to like the food, minus Jordyn of course.  I want to take her home and feed her Chinese food.  

Damnit I want to eat that food with them, it looks so good for such unappreciative assholes.

I hate when people in america remark on “adventurous eating”.  Just because your bland ass can’t handle more than a sprinkle of salt on a chicken breast doesn’t make the food 75% or the world eats “adventurous”.  If you ask my 85 year old Chinese grandma, processed cheese is a foreign and exotic concept.  

Yes! 

I remember when I was little my parents talked about how they wanted my world to be so much bigger than theirs; it wasn’t until I got to be an adult I realized how many people lived in insular worlds with no openness or curiosity about people who were not exactly like them. (I recall a poster who said Indian food was too spicy and not healthy for babies/kids, ignoring the 100s of millions of children that are Indian, living in India and were just fine?). Sometimes people cannot help being uneducated about xyz, but a wise person knows what they don’t know. The Duggars aren’t just uneducated but happy to be ignorant. Some of the older kids are trying, like Jinger and Jessa, but hot damn I’m just amazed you can raise children to have no intellectual curiosity what so ever!

But I suppose that’s a part of the cult. You’ve got to keep people ignorant so they don’t question. 

• Love 24
On 14/08/2018 at 8:24 AM, rue721 said:

I think JB may be unconvinced that he will die. Living in the end times, y'all.

I think he’s going to have his family buried alive with him, ancient Egyptian style. 

• Love 7
On 8/7/2018 at 7:39 AM, Albanyguy said:

Laura Ingalls Wilder mentions milk and popcorn in "Farmer Boy" (the story of her husband's childhood). I find it a strange idea, but apparently, it's a real thing.

I can't remember it it was a Little House book or some other random book about past times, but I remember reading something where the characters were eating bread soaked in milk. That was it, just milk soaked bread. My grandfather was born in 1920 and died when he was 97. He was still living by himself when he was 94 or so and my mom mentioned to me once, she didn't know what he was doing, she was pretty sure he was just eating bowls of bread and milk. I told here might have been, it was probably something he ate during his childhood. 

• Love 4