Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, LilJen said:

This. I bet they shared bras, regardless of fit, like they shared all their other clothes. Most women wear bras that don't fit. It makes a WORLD of difference, wearing one that fits properly!

I can't believe I'm thinking about the Duggar girls 'underthings' as Mechelle would say.  I'm sure they wear  basic white Wal-Mart bras even tho I'd like to imagine them wearing fancy Victoria Secret type bras & undies.  Wonder what these girls wear on their wedding nights?  Are they allowed to wear a sexy teddy since they are now married?  Pretty sure they go from their wedding gowns to hiding under the covers. I just can't imagine their wedding nights.....

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't believe I'm thinking about the Duggar girls 'underthings' as Mechelle would say.  I'm sure they wear  basic white Wal-Mart bras even tho I'd like to imagine them wearing fancy Victoria Secret type bras & undies.  Wonder what these girls wear on their wedding nights?  Are they allowed to wear a sexy teddy since they are now married?  Pretty sure they go from their wedding gowns to hiding under the covers. I just can't imagine their wedding nights.....

Considering they sleep in their clothes, maybe something like this sexy number?

03e981c1c78fe0fde3211f4b9aa61703.jpg

• Love 9

Is it a Gothard thing  that the girls and or women aren't allowed to tuck in their shirts?  No wonder the mid twenty year olds look frumpy.  I don't even remember seeing them wear a belted dress. I realize as we grow older (& put on weight) we leave our shirts untucked but I expect this from someone who is 50 not 25. It's funny that the boys grew up with always having their polo shirts tucked in their khakis but God forbid a girl tuck her blouse in her skirt.  

• Love 4

No joke, I would totally wear that granny nightie and cap.  That is adorable.  But in the winter, not for luring my partner for sexy bedtimes.  [Knowing my partner, though, it would work on him anyway.]  But I don't think fundamentalism is the cause of the Duggar lack of fashion know-how.  It's JimBoob's cheapness and control.   Other families that believe how he does let their children dress in modest yet current and sharp ways.  JimBoob is just a jerk.

• Love 7

Well, a disclosure.  Way back in the 70s when I was married to the first Mr. lookeyloo and we were poor, I made myself a nightgown like that out of - get this - bright yellow flannel, because it was cheap, er inexpensive - he Loved it!  The idea of it, or something.  Anyway, no rest for the weary when I was wearing that.  So, different strokes for different folks.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Is it a Gothard thing  that the girls and or women aren't allowed to tuck in their shirts?  No wonder the mid twenty year olds look frumpy.  I don't even remember seeing them wear a belted dress. I realize as we grow older (& put on weight) we leave our shirts untucked but I expect this from someone who is 50 not 25. It's funny that the boys grew up with always having their polo shirts tucked in their khakis but God forbid a girl tuck her blouse in her skirt.  

If they were to tuck in their shirt or use a belt, then they would highlight their waist.  If the waist is defined, then the bust and derriere would also be highlighted.  These curves might cause a man to have desires that could not be righteously fulfilled.  The women must be shapeless blobs to prevent them from causing their brothers-in-christ to sin.  Until they are pregnant, then all bets are off.  I will never understand this logic.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, Barb23 said:

The undies situation grossed me out in particular. Those groddy howlers have to share their underwear with each other.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, a disclosure.  Way back in the 70s when I was married to the first Mr. lookeyloo and we were poor, I made myself a nightgown like that out of - get this - bright yellow flannel, because it was cheap, er inexpensive - he Loved it!  The idea of it, or something.  Anyway, no rest for the weary when I was wearing that.  So, different strokes for different folks.

I made a similar one for myself back when I was in college. Minus the nightcap. In my mind, it was going to make me look like Audrey Hepburn in the "I Could Have Danced All Night) scene from My Fair Lady. 

• Love 5

There was a scene early in the series where Meechelle is talking to Jill, who is wearing the above outfit, nightshirt and a nightcap.  It was just so ...sad.

Edited by sheshark
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Is it a Gothard thing  that the girls and or women aren't allowed to tuck in their shirts?  No wonder the mid twenty year olds look frumpy.  I don't even remember seeing them wear a belted dress.

I think it's a style thing....I haven't tucked in a shirt with a belt in at least 5 years. These Fundies seem to pick a thing that's trendy but safe......like the small barrettes holding over their bangs (from a few years ago), the flip-flops,  long loose curls, leggings, maxi-dresses, infinity scarves, etc. Their execution isn't always the best......and they're often at the end of the trend.

I think I've seen some of them with  belted dresses (Jill?).

Edited by drafan
  • Love 3

I grew up in southwestern Pennsylvania, and we would get frigid winter nights every few years.  That jammie set would have been awesome to have.  

Anyone remember the mid-late 90s where it was fashionable to wear a spaghetti tank with your bra straps showing?  There might be a pic of me wearing exactly that AND leaning into a car window at Walmart.  My bff took the pic (with our shared disposable camera) so I would have something to send to Mr. Six.  I would have (proudly) been deemed a slut by the Duggar clan.  I thank God every single day that I grew up before social media.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, sixlets said:

I grew up in southwestern Pennsylvania, and we would get frigid winter nights every few years.  That jammie set would have been awesome to have.  

Anyone remember the mid-late 90s where it was fashionable to wear a spaghetti tank with your bra straps showing?  There might be a pic of me wearing exactly that AND leaning into a car window at Walmart.  My bff took the pic (with our shared disposable camera) so I would have something to send to Mr. Six.  I would have (proudly) been deemed a slut by the Duggar clan.  I thank God every single day that I grew up before social media.

Sixlets, half the outfits you see (or saw, back in the day) at Kennywood would’ve caused a cacophony of NIKE!  calls.  

I used to have a Holly Hobbie nightgown like that. Powder blue. It went with my Holly Hobbie sleeping bag...

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Sixlets, half the outfits you see (or saw, back in the day) at Kennywood would’ve caused a cacophony of NIKE!  calls.  

I used to have a Holly Hobbie nightgown like that. Powder blue. It went with my Holly Hobbie sleeping bag...

OMG, Holly Hobbie. That's a blast from the past!!  I can't remember details,  but I know I had Holly Bobbie items. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, drafan said:

I think it's a style thing....I haven't tucked in a shirt with a belt in at least 5 years. These Fundies seem to pick a thing that's trendy but safe......like the small barrettes holding over their bangs (from a few years ago), the flip-flops,  long loose curls, leggings, maxi-dresses, infinity scarves, etc. Their execution isn't always the best......and they're often at the end of the trend.

I think I've seen some of them with  belted dresses (Jill?).

Some of the dresses Kendra wears are so loose & look like maternity wear to me. (Pre-pregnancy days.)  Not typical 19 year old clothing but I know the reasoning behind it. It seems she loves the dresses with the white ruffled hem showing.  I really shouldn't knock her, she does seem better put together incl combing her hair, than her sisters-in-law.  Luckily we haven't seen her in a gold cardigan (so far).  

• Love 2

Ref. child rearing, household duties, education, etc.   Has anyone seen anything on the dynamics of the Duggar main house now regarding jurisdictions, buddies, household chores, etc.?  With so many leaving, I was wondering how things were working out and how they had adjusted for that, especially, if Grandmother Duggar and Jana are still involved. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. child rearing, household duties, education, etc.   Has anyone seen anything on the dynamics of the Duggar main house now regarding jurisdictions, buddies, household chores, etc.?  With so many leaving, I was wondering how things were working out and how they had adjusted for that, especially, if Grandmother Duggar and Jana are still involved. 

I don't watch the show anymore (just read posts), but I've always wondered how that would work out. Realistically, it should fall to the Howlers, but I'm sure it's the younger girls who are now taking over the chores. I doubt they have buddies any more at all. 

I can even see JB guilting the older girls into coming back once a week to do chores! Buy used, save the difference. 

• Love 3
On 3/28/2018 at 9:56 AM, ghoulina said:

I don't watch the show anymore (just read posts), but I've always wondered how that would work out. Realistically, it should fall to the Howlers, but I'm sure it's the younger girls who are now taking over the chores. I doubt they have buddies any more at all. 

I can even see JB guilting the older girls into coming back once a week to do chores! Buy used, save the difference. 

I hope Jana (I assume she's in charge) makes the boys who live at home (of any age) do half of the housework while the girls who live at home do the other half.  I mean, what else are the under-18 boys in the Duggar household doing (besides being the chosen future-patriarchs and all)?  Heck, what are most of the single adult male Duggars besides JD really doing all day? Their wives will some day appreciate that they can do some basic household tasks and it would be much more fair to divide the labor between all the children* (with age-appropriate tasks), regardless of sex.

*I'm leaving purposely ignoring JB & Michelle as far as chores, since we know they don't do sh*t. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 6
On 3/27/2018 at 11:33 PM, Lady Edith said:

Oh hell yes!!  I would always compare Physics Day & Band Night to see who would win the racy outfit award.  

On 28/03/2018 at 5:25 PM, Barb23 said:

Some of the dresses Kendra wears are so loose & look like maternity wear to me. (Pre-pregnancy days.)  Not typical 19 year old clothing but I know the reasoning behind it. It seems she loves the dresses with the white ruffled hem showing.  I really shouldn't knock her, she does seem better put together incl combing her hair, than her sisters-in-law.  Luckily we haven't seen her in a gold cardigan (so far).  

Her tops usually make her look like she’s hiding a bullet proof vest underneath. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Joy needs to lay out some money for a quality bra, whether she is nursing or not.  She cannot grab the $9.99 bra at Walmart. 

I have nursed a lot of babies for long periods of time.  My bras are expensive and truthfully, I'm worth it.  If a woman's bra is cheap crap, her bust line is a mess and she will look frumpy and sloppy. 

Some things you just have to pay for and get a good quality item.  For Joy, she needs to splurge and buy quality bras. End of story. 

(I'm a thrift store shopper and I'm on a tight budget but I really make sure I have a good bra. We can eat pasta a few nights to even out the budget. Priorities.)

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 13
On 3/24/2018 at 6:06 PM, McManda said:

I can't tell if Jinger's look has matured past Duggar standards or if Joy really is that disheveled. Maybe both? 

Is that Jessa's house?

Both. Yes. 

Jill looked like crap, too. Somebody send both Jill and Joy big bottles of shampoo and hairbrushes. 

Kendra and Jinger look very nice. 

3 hours ago, Heathen said:

Both. Yes. 

Jill looked like crap, too. Somebody send both Jill and Joy big bottles of shampoo and hairbrushes. 

And scissors.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And scissors.

Lol. I was going for the category of "things they might actually use." I don't foresee either Jill or Joy cutting off their sloppy, dirty, raggedy-ass hair crowning glory. Joy's hair especially looks like it would be a few shades lighter were it actually clean. 

My senior cat recently had a whisker with a split end. It was quite some time before the whisker fell out, and the whole time it was there, it reminded me of the Duggar girls' hair. I really need a life. 

• Love 12
(edited)
11 hours ago, Marigold said:

Joy needs to lay out some money for a quality bra, whether she is nursing or not.  She cannot grab the $9.99 bra at Walmart. 

I have nursed a lot of babies for long periods of time.  My bras are expensive and truthfully, I'm worth it.  If a woman's bra is cheap crap, her bust line is a mess and she will look frumpy and sloppy. 

Some things you just have to pay for and get a good quality item.  For Joy, she needs to splurge and buy quality bras. End of story. 

(I'm a thrift store shopper and I'm on a tight budget but I really make sure I have a good bra. We can eat pasta a few nights to even out the budget. Priorities.)

10 hours ago, Heathen said:

Both. Yes. 

I was bored last night so I  watched Jessa's wedding episode again.   There were a few minutes of the previous  19K&C episode shown before the wedding episode started.  Jill was doing a TH & she was about 5 months pregnant with Iz.  You could tell she had on a non-supportive bra.  Her boobs were all over the place. One was going one direction while the other was going another.  Geez.  I had to laugh since Joy, who was in Jill's Buddy Group, followed right after her sister mom in the ways of wearing a non-supportive bra.

Jessa's & Jill's weddings were both married in 2014, so 4 years ago. Joy, Joe & Josiah looked so young (well they were ) & to think they've now embarked on the wedding & baby trails themselves is hard to believe. 

ETA:  I can't believe how frumpy & disheveled the Duggar girls looked at Jessa's rehearsal.  Jinge didn't look too bad but as usual the rest looked like they just grabbed whatever from the clothing pile.  Why do they insist on wearing cardigans over everything?  I think that's what adds to the frumpy look besides the dulll colors. Their frumpiness just really stood out after looking at the Bates Easter pictures. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I think the cardigans are to keep us from being defrauded by their shoulders...

That's funny.  I think taking away the cardigans & adding some color to their clothes would do wonders.  I remember Jill looking so nice in a blue outfit when she was on cover of People. I'm sure People provided the dress. Maybe the girls are tired of seeing Mechelle wearing the bright colored puffy sleeve blouses they keep with the dull colors. I think that is why Kendra looked nice in the picture they took at the fly in restaurant.  I don't feel like looking for it but think she was wearing a navy dress with a red sweater. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Barb23 said:

That's funny.  I think taking away the cardigans & adding some color to their clothes would do wonders.  I remember Jill looking so nice in a blue outfit when she was on cover of People. I'm sure People provided the dress. Maybe the girls are tired of seeing Mechelle wearing the bright colored puffy sleeve blouses they keep with the dull colors. I think that is why Kendra looked nice in the picture they took at the fly in restaurant.  I don't feel like looking for it but think she was wearing a navy dress with a red sweater. 

Honestly, I think that the biggest reason that Kendra (and Jinger) look so much better than the other Duggar girls is that a) their clothes fit b) they were bought new and not shared between a half dozen people and c) because they make an effort. Bright colors can be flattering on some people, and not so much on others. 

For the most part Jill, Jessa, and Joy have continued the family tradition of dressing in layers of ill-fitting rags. Jill has looked much better to me recently because she's gone out an bought herself some clothes. She still has issues with finding clothes that fit and flatter her figure, and determining what to wear together, but there's been a huge improvement. I also think that all of the girls got their fashion sense from J'chelle who wears clothes that a) don't fit and b) don't flatter her body type. J'chelle makes some unfortunate color choices, too.

We've snarked on this many times, but there are now people within the family who have proven that it is possibly to dress modestly without looking like a disheveled bag of rags.

• Love 14
On 3/28/2018 at 2:12 AM, Barb23 said:

OMG, Holly Hobbie. That's a blast from the past!!  I can't remember details,  but I know I had Holly Bobbie items. 

Prepare to be jealous.  I had a Holly Hobby dollhouse and there was a wand with a magnet on it so you could have her move from room to room.  

I saw the pic with Joy above again and holy hannah those girls need proper support (as had been said by nearly everyone here)!  

For people that go on and on about a woman's countenance they sure don't seem to take care of theirs.  

• Love 5
On 4/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, GeeGolly said:

And scissors.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, GeeGolly said:

Nah, these folks make more money than we do.  They can buy their own dang stuff!  Besides, do we really want to see them use good product on a do-it-yourself slip and slide?  Maybe this is why they look like shit!  We will all see how bad they look and send them love offerings without them even having to ask!!!

• Love 2

Last night I was watching the old Nancy Drew movies on youtube. It breaks my heart to know the girls were probably not allowed to read Nancy Drew books because Nancy was a smart well rounded girl who did not listen to her father when she went out to solve mysteries. She also ran around with her boyfriend without supervision. I love Nancy Drew when I was growing up to the point I was called Nancy Drew in school because I wanted to be her and read her books all the time. I think ND could be a good role model for the Duggar girls, but we all know JB and Michelle would not want their daughters to be reading trash like this because it might cause them to lose control over their own daughters. The horror!!!

Edited by bigskygirl
I can read and type. Seriously I can. Ha!
14 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Last night I was watching the old Nancy Drew movies on youtube. It breaks my heart to know the girls were probably not allowed to read Nancy Drew books because Nancy was a smart well rounded girl who did not listen to her father when she went out to solve mysteries. She also ran around with her boyfriend without supervision. I love Nancy Drew when I was growing up to the point I was called Nancy Drew in school because I wanted to be her and read her books all the time. I think ND could be a good role model for the Duggar girls, but we all know JB and Michelle would not want their daughters to be reading trash like this because it might cause them to lose control over their own daughters. The horror!!!

I love Nancy Drew & Trixie Belden too. My ND collection is still packed away in my mother's attic. My best friend & I would spend our summer days reading outside in her yard & there were some ND reenactments too.  I saved my money to buy the books at yard sales & flea markets.  I even bought a jigsaw puzzle of the book's covers a few years ago. I'll have to catch up on the ND movies on YouTube as well as the Hardy Boys. I had a major crush on Shaun Cassidy back in the day. 

I agree about ND & Trixie too being good role models for the girls but Boob & Mechelle wouldn't see that. It would be interesting to know if Mechelle read any series books or was interested in reading growing up. I still remember Jill dissing most books because they can "stir up undesirable thoughts that can't righteously be fulfilled"  at that girl's birthday party they attended on 19K&C.   

I think the Duggar girls were able to read Little House on the Prarie books but I'm sure they were censored since the Ingall girls were allowed to be alone with their boyfriends. So that left them reading the Waiting for Prince Charming  books(or whatever they're called) written by the Maxwell daughter. 

Were the Duggar boys allowed to read anything besides the Bible & Wisdom books growing up? My son (who is a year younger than Smugs) grew up loving to read Animorphs & Star Wars books. He couldn't get enough of them. No way would these be allowed in the Duggar home.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on about reading but unlike the Duggars, I feel it's a very important part of a child's life. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I still remember Jill dissing most books because they can "stir up undesirable thoughts that can't righteously be fulfilled"  at that girl's birthday party they attended on 19K&C.  

Undesirable thoughts like what?   Having a career?  Wanting to go to a real school?  Independent thinking?  

• Love 15
On 4/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, EAG46 said:

Undesirable thoughts like what?   Having a career?  Wanting to go to a real school?  Independent thinking?  

I think she was mostly talking about romance novels on that particular occasion because apparently romance novels are for women like porn is for men (what with our delicate lady brains being naturally geared toward fantasies about Prince Charming chastely carrying us away on a white horse rather than on us making the beast with two backs with him). However, since the Duggar kids never seem to read anything other than Gothard-approved material, "all of the above" can probably be applied to their reading in general.

• Love 7

Remember the old 19K&C episode where Mechelle read to students at a local public school?  She brought some of the older kids with her & they were asked about their favorite books or author. I think one of the girls replied with the Waiting for Prince charming books and other Christian titles. The Duggars just seemed so out of place. (I know they were out of place in a devil invaded public school.)  This was also the time Mechelle nursed one of the baby J'girls while she was reading & all we saw was the baby's legs sticking out from under the nursing blanket & "breast friend" pillow.  That alone had to haunt the students for days.   

• Love 16
13 hours ago, Vaysh said:

I think she was mostly talking about romance novels on that particular occasion because apparently romance novels are for women like porn is for men (what with our delicate lady brains being naturally geared toward fantasies about Prince Charming chastely carrying us away on a white horse rather than on us making the beast with two backs with him). However, since the Duggar kids never seem to read anything other than Gothard-approved material, "all of the above" can probably be applied to their reading in general.

That's my expectation too, but it seems particularly dimwitted when lacking context, because it makes it sound like it's the only type of book in the world that Jilly Muffin thinks exists.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

That's my expectation too, but it seems particularly dimwitted when lacking context, because it makes it sound like it's the only type of book in the world that Jilly Muffin thinks exists.

Well, I don't know, but for the short period of time that I popped romance novels like vitamins, my preferences were for bodice-rippers of the decidedly explicit kind. My lady brain was  not much into the chaste fantasies ;)

• Love 11

Do you think the Duggar guys get to joke around with one another about their receding hairlines?  I'm sure in a regular family that topic would come up frequently.  Like kidding about the size of a nose.  The Duggars laughed about their large head size so I wonder if the receding hair lines are fair game or off limits.

• Love 1

Watching an episode of Designing Women, and Anthony was talking about his praying family members. His aunt and uncle would pray before getting on the freeway, they would pray after getting off the freeway, and pray when they were going on the side street. Once again, my first thought went to the Duggars and their kind.