Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

If you want to see him toned down, check him out in Bernie and in The Big Year. I'm not a fan of over-the-top slob comedy, but I think Black does OK in more serious roles.

I really dislike Jack Black a lot, but thought he was great in Bernie.  Loved the movie, even loved Mr. Black, highly recommend it. 

• Love 2

Step-Brothers is a hilarious movie, but the third act is so OTT, stupid, and really drags the movie down. I didn't see how Robert (the father) was supposed to be the bad guy. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to retire after a life of hard work with his new wife. He may have been too aggressive at times, but why should he be supporting Dale and Brennan when they're able to care for themselves? And when they destroy his boat, I didn't blame him for being pissed.

Even the therapist says Robert and Nancy enable their sons, and Nancy seems to have no issue with that at all, despite her 40 year old son having no desire to leave home. The ending with the singing and dancing and everyone losing their minds over the music was just so dumb, like "Whatever, growing up sucks!" I didn't expect major depth from this movie, but there is a balance between coddling your children and forcing them to grow up overnight.

I think that Dale and Brennan moved out and were living their manchild existence happily, but I felt bad for Robert for losing his boat and using it for some stupid treehouse for his kids.

• Love 2

I guess my UO about Jack Black is that I thought he was perfectly toned down in The Holiday and I thought he made a great love interest in that movie. His character wasn't really a slob. He was a bit goofy, but perfectly nice; he just didn't happen to be "conventionally handsome". I thought it was believable that Kate Winslet would fall for him. But that's just my opinion.

• Love 12

My UO is that I hate Kevin Kline. I have never found him handsome, funny, or talented and found most of his stuff a major bore. Given that he is married to Phoebe Cates I am pretty sure that he sold his soul to the devil around 1982.

• Love 1

I saw Vertigo for the first time last night and...I don't get the gushing praise for it. I don't even think it's Hitchcock's best movie, let alone one of the best movies ever made (critics' polls always put it in the top 10). There were obviously good elements to it-the opening credits, the music, Kim Novak's performance(s), etc...but I can't see myself enjoying watching it again. Maybe watching it again to see what I missed, but with Rear Window or Psycho, if it comes on and I catch it, I will end up watching the whole thing, no question, and be riveted all over again. I can't see myself doing that with Vertigo.

• Love 2

I read an article today in which someone mentioned the movie Amadeus.  Now, I haven't seen this movie, or Immortal Beloved, in well over a decade, and I only saw each movie once, so my opinion might be different today, now that I'm older, but at the time, I liked Immortal Beloved more than Amadeus

I actually think that Jack Black IS conventionally handsome, he's just overweight!  He's smaller around the time of movies like The Cable Guy.  That's a good-looking man in my opinion.  A young Jack Black is like a current Emile Hirsch.  (Also I think that School of Rock is the funniest thing EVER.  I find him so charismatic.)  Hey, it's the UO thread!

1584.gif

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

It's definitely not his finest work, that would be Wallace on the Wire, but I also think Matt Damon is mediocre in The Marian, and if they are going to nominate middling work in a piece of well reviewed and populist entertainment, I'd rather it had gone to the black guy.

• Love 8

Okay, I have an unpopular opinion about Atonement:

What Briony did was despicable and unforgiveable and she doesn't atone for it by a long shot.  HOWEVER, to be fair, I think the movie did imply that part of it was that she really did genuinely misunderstand what was going on with Robbie and Cecilia.  The scenes of her seeing Robbie and Cecilia from her POV do look rather sinister without the knowledge of what was really going on.  Not to mention the letter that she read.  So I don't necessarily agree with everyone that says she just lied about Robbie because she was jealous; she really did genuinely believe Robbie was some kind of deviant.  Not to mention the fact that her family, despite knowing Robbie for years, simply believed what she said and just threw Robbie to the wolves without even giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

My kids really like the Hotel Transylvania movies. Since they are basically Adam Sandler this will probably be an unpopular opinion but the Mavis/Johnny relationship from those movies is probably the best human/vampire relationship in pop culture. It is certainly the one that makes the most sense. Usually I find myself asking what the hell a 100+ year old vampire would have in common with someone in their teens/twenties and why would they want to be in a relationship. But in Hotel Transylvania even though Mavis (Dracula's daughter) is 119 years old she has led a super sheltered life and hasn't experienced anything in life outside of the hotel. So in that sense she is the perfect match for a 21 year old backpacker.

• Love 1

Okay, I have an unpopular opinion about Atonement:

What Briony did was despicable and unforgiveable and she doesn't atone for it by a long shot.  HOWEVER, to be fair, I think the movie did imply that part of it was that she really did genuinely misunderstand what was going on with Robbie and Cecilia.  The scenes of her seeing Robbie and Cecilia from her POV do look rather sinister without the knowledge of what was really going on.  Not to mention the letter that she read.  So I don't necessarily agree with everyone that says she just lied about Robbie because she was jealous; she really did genuinely believe Robbie was some kind of deviant. 

Yes, agreed. I think the book makes that clearer than the film did, which is why it's understandable that viewers are unforgiving of Briony, but yeah. I believe that she genuinely misunderstood things and didn't just lie because of jealousy. 

• Love 1

I actually think that Jack Black IS conventionally handsome, he's just overweight! He's smaller around the time of movies like The Cable Guy. That's a good-looking man in my opinion. A young Jack Black is like a current Emile Hirsch. (Also I think that School of Rock is the funniest thing EVER. I find him so charismatic.) Hey, it's the UO thread!

1584.gif

Hey, we can gush over him together! I find him to be really sexy - more so in his less manic roles admittedly. His weight doesn't really bother me one way or the other. I'm a sucker for a devilish grin I guess, my husband has one too.

• Love 3

Hey, I happen to think that John Belushi was very good-looking. Like Jack Black, he had the devilish grin and he could be very sweet and charming, even when he was playing slobs. Just watch him in Continental Divide, he was so adorable in it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Adam Driver is ugly. Am I the only one who sees that? That he's being treated like a hunk is baffling.

I found him totally distracting in the new Star Wars movie for this reason. He was so unbelievable as the child of

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher

Edited by lampshades
  • Love 1

Interesting - I find him really handsome, even though not conventionally so, and I thought that was the unpopular opinion. (I mean, he's apparently so self-conscious about his looks that he never watches himself in anything, including interviews.) I remember thinking he was gorgeous in Frances Ha, and more recently in This Is Where I Leave You.

• Love 3

Adam Driver is ugly. Am I the only one who sees that? That he's being treated like a hunk is baffling.

I think Adam Driver is, indeed, ugly, but I also think he's sexy.  And hot.

The first time I saw Adam Driver was in a list that was a response to the "Sexiest Man Alive" list -- I think it was something like "the thinking woman's list of sexy guys" or something like that and it was guys who weren't "conventionally" attractive (read: Chris Hemsworth hot) but who had the depth of character and talent to appeal to today's modern woman.

Now, to be completely honest, I'm predisposed to hate anything that implies I should be less than entirely superficial when oogling celebrity men, as I seriously doubt there has ever been or ever will be a similar list of "thinking man's list of sexy women" where women are judged by anything other than their boobs and ass, as it were.  It would be lovely if we could all rise above and stop being superficial altogether but in the meantime I REFUSE to allow the media to manipulate me into thinking "dad bod" is hot while I still have to obsess over every extra inch and stray hair.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least if we're all in the gutter the playing field is level.

So, I pretty much hated the list to begin and just could not understand what anyone would see in Adam Driver.  After seeing him in SW:TFA I will say he has nice hair.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 8

The first time I saw Adam Driver was in a list that was a response to the "Sexist Man Alive" list -- I think it was something like "the thinking woman's list of sexy guys" or something like that and it was guys who weren't "conventionally" attractive (read: Chris Hemsworth hot) but who had the depth of character and talent to appeal to today's modern woman.

Now, to be completely honest, I'm predisposed to hate anything that implies I should be less than entirely superficial when oogling celebrity men, as I seriously doubt there has ever been or ever will be a similar list of "thinking man's list of sexy women" where women are judged by anything other than their boobs and ass, as it were. It would be lovely if we could all rise above and stop being superficial altogether but in the meantime I REFUSE to allow the media to manipulate me into thinking "dad bod" is hot while I still have to obsess over every extra inch and stray hair. I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least if we're all in the gutter the playing field is level.

So, I pretty much hated the list to begin and just could not understand what anyone would see in Adam Driver. After seeing him in SW:TFA I will say he has nice hair.

Word to your entire post!

• Love 1

Now, to be completely honest, I'm predisposed to hate anything that implies I should be less than entirely superficial when oogling celebrity men, as I seriously doubt there has ever been or ever will be a similar list of "thinking man's list of sexy women" where women are judged by anything other than their boobs and ass, as it were.  It would be lovely if we could all rise above and stop being superficial altogether but in the meantime I REFUSE to allow the media to manipulate me into thinking "dad bod" is hot while I still have to obsess over every extra inch and stray hair.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least if we're all in the gutter the playing field is level.

Quoted (and bolded) for emphasis.

I don't think Adam Driver is ugly, but hot? Other than the previously mentioned nice hair....no.  Not hot. And he's...tall? Guess that's something. Lid for every pot and all that. 

• Love 1

I don't think Adam Driver is ugly, but hot? Other than the previously mentioned nice hair....no.  Not hot. And he's...tall? Guess that's something. Lid for every pot and all that. 

No, I don't think he's ugly and I think he looks better now than he did when that list came out when he was just a greasy hipster douche known for Girls (which I've never seen but I've gleaned that his character was a sleazy douche, which further detracted from any potential appeal).

Not sure it's that serious.  From what I've gathered, that's a pretty popular opinion at the moment, and this is the UNpopular opinions thread.  So yeah, bound to be someone who doesn't find Driver hot.  My response to dusang was more related to overall sentiment of what women are 'supposed' to find attractive rather than Driver specifically.  He does nothing for me, but neither do some "conventionally attractive" actors like Robert Pattinson, Jamie Dornan, Matt Bomer, Tom Hiddleston, and others who don't immediately come to mind.  

• Love 3

Graded on a curve from trying to offend strangers on the internet for lulz to perfectly reasonable, I think you're well within the safety zone :)

He seems to have a currently unpopular form of looks which was very popular in its day. El Greco's saints look a lot like him.

• Love 2

Now, to be completely honest, I'm predisposed to hate anything that implies I should be less than entirely superficial when oogling celebrity men, as I seriously doubt there has ever been or ever will be a similar list of "thinking man's list of sexy women" where women are judged by anything other than their boobs and ass, as it were. 

Thinking Man/Woman's Crumpet -- Helen Mirren, Gillian Anderson, Kate Winslet, etc. 

• Love 2

As all three of those women are very beautiful and have incredible bodies and at least two of them have been fat-shamed in the media, I think you just proved my point.

Or perhaps you are suffering from confirmation bias.  You said you didn't think there has been or ever would be a "thinking man's list of sexy women".  I provided you with that list.  *shrug*

• Love 1

Well, not really. "Thinking woman's crumpet" describes women who men are hot for because they're smart *and* beautiful, according to the Wikipedia entry you linked to. That's a bit different than a list of people who are supposed to be babe magnets despite their appearance.

• Love 2

As long as we're bringing up "Fried Green Tomatoes", can I just say that IMO, it would have been FAR better had there NEVER been any allusion to cannibalism- and just let the audience imagine that the abuser's remains had been discreetly disposed of? I wasn't able to eat spare ribs for TWO YEARS after seeing that!  Of course, what's ironic is that more than one person I knew at the time who saw this had NO problem with cannibalism but got VERY upset at the idea of lesbians. Sheesh!

• Love 2

I'm someone who usually loves the year's crop of tentpole action movies, but this year just doesn't grab me. Deadpool, X-Men, Captain America, Batman vs Superman. None of them interest me. I partly feel like I should, just to be up on what's happening in each franchise. But I just have no desire. Maybe I'll catch them on cheaparse Tuesday, rather than opening day when they're full price.

• Love 1

I'm going to see Batman v Superman for Jason Momoa, even if Ben Affleck, but the rest I'm gonna pass on. But then, I took the advice of someone who knows me well that the Whedon was too strong for me in the second Avengers movie and skipped that.

I'm going to see Batman v Superman for Jason Momoa, even if Ben Affleck, but the rest I'm gonna pass on. But then, I took the advice of someone who knows me well that the Whedon was too strong for me in the second Avengers movie and skipped that.

I'll do you one better: I'm NOT seeing this movie because Affleck is playing "Batman" and also because Eisenberg is playing "Lex." I don't like the mishmash of stories from the

(spoiler tagging in case) comics that are years apart to have Bats and Supes at odds. Specifically that "Batman" is the age he was in Batman Returns when from what I've read and seen, Supes and Bats first met when Bats was still in his youth.

I'm just perverse/anal that way.

• Love 2

As all three of those women are very beautiful and have incredible bodies and at least two of them have been fat-shamed in the media, I think you just proved my point.

Yup, all those women are conventionally beautiful, especially Helen Mirren who nobody would think twice about describing as 'hot" if not for her age. It doesn't even compare to someone like Adam Driver. 

The first time I saw Adam Driver was in a list that was a response to the "Sexist Man Alive" list -- I think it was something like "the thinking woman's list of sexy guys" or something like that and it was guys who weren't "conventionally" attractive (read: Chris Hemsworth hot) but who had the depth of character and talent to appeal to today's modern woman....

My UO is I don't find Chris Hemsworth hot at all. I recognize that he's not unattractive by conventional standards, but he does nothing for me. It might be because the first thing I saw him in was Thor and that character just seemed so shallow and mindless.

To be clear I enjoyed The Martian, it's solid fun movie, but it's the very definition of a'right, aka I forgot about it right after I saw it.

Yeah, I really liked it, but it wasn't all that. It was a popcorn movie and Matt Damon just seemed like Matt Damon in it.

Well, not really. "Thinking woman's crumpet" describes women who men are hot for because they're smart *and* beautiful, according to the Wikipedia entry you linked to. That's a bit different than a list of people who are supposed to be babe magnets despite their appearance.

That's not what dusang said:

Now, to be completely honest, I'm predisposed to hate anything that implies I should be less than entirely superficial when oogling celebrity men, as I seriously doubt there has ever been or ever will be a similar list of "thinking man's list of sexy women" where women are judged by anything other than their boobs and ass, as it were.

So, I provided a list of women who are judged "sexy" by something other than her boobs or ass.  No one ever said we have to come up with a list of women who are sexy despite her looks or only because of her brain.

Yup, all those women are conventionally beautiful, especially Helen Mirren who nobody would think twice about describing as 'hot" if not for her age. It doesn't even compare to someone like Adam Driver. 

(Italics mine.) I absolutely think she's gorgeous, but others find her not because of her age.  (That works with men, too, btw.  I have a college-age daughter and a few of her friends think that Sean Connery and other "conventionally attractive" older men to be "gross".)  

It doesn't compare to Adam Driver why?  I'm sure that plenty of people out there think that Adam Driver is just as gorgeous as Helen Mirren, if not more so.

• Love 1

Yes. I love a comic book movie. I enjoy sarcastic humour. I like meta but somehow every single preview for Deadpool makes me less and less interested in seeing it. I can't even put my finger on why, but I feel like he's so glib that there are no stakes, no hook to pull me in. I'm sure I'll eventually see it and maybe its the marketing underselling the actual story and the film itself might be very good, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not rushing out to watch it.

• Love 4

Ahem.

Speaking as someone who discovered who Helen Mirren is because of the the movie Calendar Girls, I disagree that her age has anything to do with people finding her hot. I don't speak for everybody because I don't know who everybody is, but not everyone renders a woman invisible just because she hits and clears middle age.

• Love 1

Ahem.

Speaking as someone who discovered who Helen Mirren is because of the the movie Calendar Girls, I disagree that her age has anything to do with people finding her hot. I don't speak for everybody because I don't know who everybody is, but not everyone renders a woman invisible just because she hits and clears middle age.

Helen Mirren is 70. That's not middle aged. Is she very attractive for her age? She definitely is. But I don't think it's fair to call someone out for suggesting a pensioner would be more attractive if she was younger.

Gillian Anderson is 47. To me, that's middle aged. And yet she is smoking hot. Ming Na is 50, and looks as good now as she ever has. I still have a huge crush on Alison Janney, who is 56. They're all attractive regardless of their age, but not everyone is.

Edited by Danny Franks

It doesn't compare to Adam Driver why? I'm sure that plenty of people out there think that Adam Driver is just as gorgeous as Helen Mirren, if not more so.

It doesn't compare because, despite cultural and generational differences, there are some commonly accepted parameters for conventional beauty. Generally, these things include a degree of facial symmetry, ideal facial proportions, and markers of youth/health/fecundity. Driver is touted as a hunk despite not fitting into those parameters. It's not just about personal taste. Edited by cynic
  • Love 1