Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On the other site, we had two different threads:  Movies you love that everyone else hates and Movies you hate that everyone else loves.  I thought maybe we could combine the two here in an Unpopular Opinions thread. 

I'm in a discussion group that watches movies, then discusses them afterward.  We watch a variety of film genres from all different eras.  So far, there have been 3 that I just didn't like:

Dr. Strangelove:  Great individual performances (especially by George C. Scott), but as a whole, my mind just kept wandering and I never bothered to finish it (not a requirement for our group--we show clips for those who didn't have a chance to see the movie). I thought the trivia facts in regards to the making of the movie much more interesting.

The Spectacular Now:  I don't get how this movie got so many accolades.  The young man's performance was great, but Shaylene Woodly's character annoyed the hell out of me and it just screamed "Good girl falls for bad boy whom she immediately falls in love with because he actually paid attention to her and then tries to change him" and why no consequences of her starting to drink (he gave her her own flask for God's sake!)?

The Apostle:  I'll admit, though, that this struck a deep, painful chord with me as I have some family members who are very judgmental and hurtful in the name of their religion, so I was uncomfortable all the way through.  However, I did read Roger Ebert's review of how awesome it was and had to disagree with him on a few points, so it wasn't all just personal stuff.

On the flip side, I thought About Time was wonderful and was surprised at the "meh" reviews it got. 

(Your group sounds awesome. Is it a real life group or online?)

I didn't like Dr. Strangelove either. Found myself bored and only finished it with great effort. And, talking about Kubrick, I'm not a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey - it is beautiful, awe-inspiring and important and totally worth watching, but I don't want to watch it again and can't say I enjoyed it.

I like all 4 Alien movies. They are very different beasts, but there is something I like about each of them. Yes, even Alien 4. I've watched them multiple times and will watch them again in the future.

• Love 1

(Your group sounds awesome. Is it a real life group or online?)

Real life.  It's actually a church group, but you'd never know it based on some of the movies we watch and the discussions we have!  We really push the envelope with our discussions. 

I haven't seen many Kubrick films.  I remember being a bit bored by Space Odyssey, but that could have been an age issue, and I won't watch Clockwork Orange because it looks too disturbing.  Funny, though, that I did like The Shining, only to find out that Stephen King did not  :)

I liked Frozen when I saw it. It was cute. But it has seriously got to be one of the most overhyped, overrated Disney movies. It's like people don't feel comfortable squeeing over it just because it was fun and cute, so they have to make it out to be the most progressive and feminist Disney film EVER. I've seen people say that it's the first Disney movie to show that you don't need a man to save you. I'm sorry, but no. Just no.

• Love 4

Adding on to the Frozen unpopular opinion:  I think Happy should have won the Oscar for best song.  Sure, it's also over played, but I think it's really catchy and it makes me smile. 

• Love 3

I thought "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" was the best song.

Speaking of Frozen, Elsa is going to be on Once Upon a Time next season.  They showed a brief flash of her from the back at the very end of last night's show, the season finale.

I've seen people say that it's the first Disney movie to show that you don't need a man to save you.

That honor would go to Mulan.

I can't stand movies which create ridiculously meticulous and complicated premises which inevitably turn into continuity problems and fail to deliver.  The Matrix is a prime example.  

I also have had it with all the faux pyrotechnics.  They are cheap and easy.  Most always, they come at the expense of character and plot development.   I'm fine with explosions and such when they are organic (as in war movies) or like when a Joker is involved and we get actual, not CG or FX, concussions/fire.

It is so very sad that pretty much the only movies allowed to be made anymore which involve deep character development and marvelous and timeless stories are cartoons.  This is the entire secret to Pixar's success, but when it comes to live action, fuhgeddaboudit.

• Love 2
That honor would go to Mulan.

Mulan was definitely the biggest badass IMO, but I'm not sure that she was the first, either! Don't think a man rescued Pocahontas. But I think Mulan was probably the first of the Disney "princesses" (I know she's not a literal princess, but she's part of the Disney princesses line-up) to have hardly any focus on romance, period. 

(edited)

I do not understand why Scarlet Johansson is considered a good actress. I get why people slobber over her, but she's always been mediocre to me.  But then, I'm rather meh on Jennifer Lawrence as well. Same with Bradley Cooper.

Ditto on Frozen being overrated (I actually thought Anna was a bit of a brat, and Kristof deserved better).  I remember when I mentioned my dislike very early on the TWOP thread, and the response was something like, "Hey, at least it beat out the Anchorman sequel." 

Which brings me to another unpopular opinion - I don't keep score on female-centric vs male-centric films.  I believe in and support telling stories from the female POV, but it's not important to me to see a female counterpoint to every kind of predominantly male-centric film.  For example, I'm not chomping at the bit for a female superhero film, mostly because the characters are as much derived from male fantasy as the male superheroes.  If I'm interested, I'll watch it, and maybe even love it, but not in a "the superhero genre is a sausagefest, time for the wimmins to get some love" kind of way. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 5

Which brings me to another unpopular opinion - I don't keep score on female-centric vs male-centric films.

And on this note: I hated Bridesmaids. HATED it. Saw the trailer and thought "fuck, no" but the overwhelmingly positive reviews made me relent (trailers can be misleading, right?). So much regret. I sat there in silence (bar ONE laugh), utterly mystified, while my fellow movie goers busted a gut around me.

Also, I recently watched the Spiderman reboot movie (hubby had seen it and wanted to see the sequel). I had previously opted out of watching it because the Tobey/Kirsten franchise had drained joy from my life and I couldn't go back to the well. But, enough time has passed so I thought, ok, why not? Yeah...no. Did not care. Don't get me wrong, I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but I could NOT get into it. So much so that I turned to the hubby and said "dude, I'm sorry but I cannot watch the sequel to this."

• Love 5

And on this note: I hated Bridesmaids. HATED it. Saw the trailer and thought "fuck, no" but the overwhelmingly positive reviews made me relent (trailers can be misleading, right?). So much regret. I sat there in silence (bar ONE laugh), utterly mystified, while my fellow movie goers busted a gut around me.

Same exact scenario here! Except I saw it on DVD.  I did think that Melissa McCarthy was the best part of it (although, I had some issues with her, too, and didn't think it was nomination worthy) and only part that made me laugh was her taking all the puppies then admitting that it was a bit much. 

• Love 2

I never understood the appeal and hype for American Hustle -  I thought the actors were too over the top (I think Bale is still picking scenery out of his teeth), extremely over-rated,  and that the film lacked focus.  The film was billed as a comedy yet I did not find it funny; in fact I found the "humor" extremely uncomfortable.  I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to root for the con artists, the mayor, or the FBI agent; they were all pretty reprehensible characters. 

Also, I recently watched the Spiderman reboot movie (hubby had seen it and wanted to see the sequel). I had previously opted out of watching it because the Tobey/Kirsten franchise had drained joy from my life and I couldn't go back to the well. But, enough time has passed so I thought, ok, why not? Yeah...no. Did not care. Don't get me wrong, I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but I could NOT get into it. So much so that I turned to the hubby and said "dude, I'm sorry but I cannot watch the sequel to this."

Get outta my head .......... these are the EXACT thoughts I had on these two films.  The theater was having a good ole belly laugh and I sat there wondering what I was missing.

Ditto on hating Bridesmaids.  I saw it on TV and was so glad I didn't waste money on it in the theater.  I also don't think that just being gross is funny.  I'm looking at you, Melissa McCarthy.  Actually, Kristen Wiig isn't funny to me either, even when she was on SNL.

• Love 4
(edited)

Dude, that film makes my teeth itch and my right eye twitch.  I actually wouldn't mind a "girls behaving badly" film, but my goodness, Annie was such a killjoy, sad sack character, I just wanted her to get the fuck off the screen.  All this time later, I'm still irrationally peeved that the movie was in fact not about bridesmaids, it was about lazy, entitled Annie.  And that movie is a prime example why being tit-for-tat with male-centric films is a non-issue for me.  

Speaking of the genre, the appeal of The Hangover is completely lost on me.  Everyone I know that's seen it thinks it's hilarious, and much like NoWilltoResist re: Bridesmaids, the humor flew right by me.  I also wanted to punch Bradley Cooper's character in the face - multiple times.  I don't know why I have such a visceral reaction to that man, but it's to the point where I refuse to see a film with him in it.  And yes, that includes Silver Linings Playbook.

I had previously opted out of watching it because the Tobey/Kirsten franchise had drained joy from my life and I couldn't go back to the well.

Yes, I understand.  I've not seen the reboot series, either, but I think that's as much to do with Spiderman just not being that interesting as a superhero. But then, I'm not an Ironman fan, either. *backs away slowly*

ETA:

Ohwell, I agree with you re: toilet humor.

I also wanted to punch Bradley Cooper's character in the face - multiple times.  I don't know why I have such a visceral reaction to that man, but it's to the point where I refuse to see a film with him in it.  And yes, that includes Silver Linings Playbook.

You didn't miss much, IMO. The husband loved it. I was 'meh' on it.

But then, I'm not an Ironman fan, either. *backs away slowly*

You've made me brave now: I hated Iron Man 3. There, I said it. I liked the first two well enough but this was just shit, IMO. It was weak and self-indulgent. I was bored. BORED!!!

All this time later, I'm still irrationally peeved that the movie was in fact not about bridesmaids, it was about lazy, entitled Annie.

And see, when I saw the trailer, I thought it looked awful. Then I kept hearing the rave reviews and "it's a female Hangover!" and I was intrigued (women usually aren't allowed to be raunchy and fun). So, I watched it, and was all "what in the fuck is this depressing bullshit?" Annie was a wretched, miserable human being. I signed on for a COMEDY, not a sad tale of a depressed, sad-sack, unmotivated, ungrateful harpy who brings down everyone around them. I was not at all sympathetic to her 'plight'. To this day, I am mystified by it being billed as a comedy.

So, I watched it, and was all "what in the fuck is this depressing bullshit?" Annie was a wretched, miserable human being. I signed on for a COMEDY, not a sad tale of a depressed, sad-sack, unmotivated, ungrateful harpy who brings down everyone around them.

Which is why I can ignore Melissa McCarthy's gross out humor in the show and somewhat enjoy her character.  Towards the end of the movie, she basically told Annie to knock it the fuck off and cheer up. 

I signed on for a COMEDY, not a sad tale of a depressed, sad-sack, unmotivated, ungrateful harpy who brings down everyone around them. I was not at all sympathetic to her 'plight'. To this day, I am mystified by it being billed as a comedy.

Exactly. I thought they  couldn't decide if they wanted a romantic dramady or an all out slapstick comedy.  And it missed the mark on both, imo.  I, too, hate gross out humor.

Silver Linings Playbook.  I do not understand the hype about that movie (with the exception of Robert DeNiro).  I left a little ticked off by it, actually.

Agreed about Bridesmaids. Although I wouldn't call the similarly-themed Bachelorette a great movie, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Bridesmaids. 

Also agreed about the toilet humor. I rarely find it funny in male-dominated films; I'm definitely not itching to see it in more female-dominated films.

• Love 2
Silver Linings Playbook.  I do not understand the hype about that movie (with the exception of Robert DeNiro).  I left a little ticked off by it, actually.

Scandal! Do tell, Shannon - why did you feel this way?

You've made me brave now: I hated Iron Man 3. There, I said it. I liked the first two well enough but this was just shit, IMO. It was weak and self-indulgent. I was bored. BORED!!!

I objectively understand the appeal of Tony Stark/Iron Man.  He's rich, he's funny, he's irreverent, he relishes being a superhero, blah blah angstycakes. In a universe of broody Batman, boyscout Superman/Captain America, prickly Wolverine, etc, he's supposed to be refreshing.  I'm even glad for Robert Downey Jr that it was his comeback vehicle.  But I was bored to tears with the first movie, and it's been downhill ever since. The only thing I remember from the 2nd film was Mickey Rourke's bad accent and his whip.  I still hold a grudge towards my sister and niece for dragging me to the third one.

Scandal! Do tell, Shannon - why did you feel this way?

It's going to be hard to explain since I barely remember it.  Umm....I remember thinking the ending was too tidy.  Like they found love and love cures all!  Maybe that's wrong.  Maybe we're supposed to assume that there were still hard times to come in regards to their mental illnesses, but it just seemed too happy all of the sudden--like all was miraculously better now.  I also have a really hard time believing that she had no idea what she was getting into with that dance competition.  Like she had no idea that it was going to be ballroom dancing?  However, I will admit to laughing when no one could understand why they were so excited for low scores.  :)

(edited)

There are quite a few movies everyone seems to love that I'm either uninterested in or actively dislike. 

I have tried several times to make it through Star Wars, and just cannot do it.  Same with Gone With the Wind.  I have no interest in Indiana Jones, Avatar, Lord of the RingsHunger Games or any epic fantasy or film based on a comic book superhero.

I think Titanic is a visually captivating movie, but there are a couple dozen more interesting ways to tell the tale of its passengers' ordeal than some stupid love story. 

I don't think Casablanca is anything to write home about. 

The charm of Audrey Hepburn is lost on me.   

Die Hard With a Vengeance is the only watchable Die Hard for me, and that's just because of Samuel L. Jackson. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Speaking of Marvel Universe movies, I REALLY don't get all the love for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

For me, it was one of those movies I enjoyed in the theater, but when I started thinking about some of its logic, it really fell apart.  Kind of like The Avengers.  The whole

"HYDRA infilitrated SHIELD but apparently no other government agency and therefore only SHIELD should be dismanted, per the foot soldier who knows little to nothing about managing national security, and how convenient that only HYDRA agents were on the helicarriers!"

thing soured me on the film.  In addition, I think some of my enjoyment was because I never could get through the entire 1st film, it was so bad.

I also didn't buy Peggy and Steve as this epic love - more like some utopian ideal that never materialized. I suppose I understand why Steve is stuck on her - you never forget your first, and all that. But Peggy lost me when she shot at him because she caught him being kissed by another woman.  Ugh, I know that was supposed to be funny, but I cannot abide the physical assault double standard when it comes to gender.

• LOL 1
I think Titanic is a visually captivating movie, but there are a couple dozen more interesting ways to tell the tale of its passengers' ordeal than some stupid love story.

Agreed, Bastet! I only watch the last half hour or so if it's on; the visual effects are incredible.

See, I have the opposite view of The Titanic. While I do agree that the visual effects are stunning and the storyline is ridiculously simple, I love the beginning and get bored once the ship hits the ice burg.  Why?  Because I'm more fascinated by the artistic design and costumes. Once the ship starts to go down, it's (obviously) dark and dreary.  I love the bright, rich colors in the clothing and the design details of the various rooms within the ship. 

I couldn't finish Titanic in one attempt. It seems 5 hours long, all of them boring. 

I liked Silver Linings Playbook though I too find Bradley Cooper punchable. I liked some of the camera work and editing, I liked that Jennifer Lawrence showed a different side here, and I liked that, for a Hollywood movie, it wasn't a "love conquers all" or the especially foul "but medication makes my life gray" story. I agree that the last part, starting at the competition, was weak.

I only watched The Avengers of all Marvel movies, and that only for Joss Whedon. I thought it was ok, but I don't understand all the raving around it. I'd watch a Black Widow movie though, because Scarlett Johansson.

• Love 1

I couldn't finish Titanic in one attempt. It seems 5 hours long, all of them boring.

I never managed to finish it at all. I had a friend who paid to see it in the theater 6 or 7 times & she was an intelligent adult. She was love struck with the love story. I kept telling her, "You know there were real people that died? All those people you see drowning & dying & freezing? It really happened." I heard back, "love, special, forever, mush, crap, gag, barf." I have an unreasonable hatred for the movie partly based on her love of the love.

I also didn't like Avatar. It was about 7 hours too long & everyone in the theater seemed to be watching a different movie than I was. They were enthralled & in love & I was bored & not entertained. I went with some friends who had already seen in & they kept expecting me to react differently than I was. I was laughing at inappropriate moments. I found the whole idea ridiculous & not in a fun suspension of disbelief or dive in to sci-fi way. I was told it was thought provoking & so entertaining it was like an immersion experience. I've enjoyed a hot bath while listening to a rerun of Gilligan's Island more.

• Love 2
(edited)

I kept telling her, "You know there were real people that died? All those people you see drowning & dying & freezing? It really happened." I heard back, "love, special, forever, mush, crap, gag, barf." I have an unreasonable hatred for the movie partly based on her love of the love.

I never really thought of it until now, but a friend's "blah, blah, blah, ooh, they're so pretty together" love of the movie does increase my distaste for it.  Fundamentally, I cannot stand "love at first sight" stories, because I think they're stupid.  So to use one of those as the vehicle for the dramatization of an international tragedy that needs no help being dramatic and heartbreaking really turns me off.  Isador Straus refusing a lifeboat seat because women and children remained on the boat and Ida Straus declaring "We'll die together as we lived together" after 40 years of marriage moves me.  The third-class passengers who never had a chance move me.  The "love" of two people who barely know each other doesn't.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

The "love" of two people who barely know each other doesn't.

Exactly. The story of the Titanic had so many other stories that could have been told but instead we got "Rose-n-Jack 4-ever TLA" carved on a lifeboat.
  • Love 1

The most hilarious part for me is that it wasn't 4-ever at all. Yet we see that it is the memory of an old woman who had an entire life time to get over that teenage love at first sight thing. Could she just... not? The third-class passengers who never had a chance would have moved me too, but Cameron just wouldn't have made that movie.

The first Hunger Games movie was horrible. Visually repetitive, that awful shaky cam, zero creativity. If they didn't have Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson, it would probably have been another Twilight, or even a flop like other attempts at getting YA books on screen. I still don't understand the critical reaction. (Also, the Hunger Games book is awful.)

• Love 1

I also didn't like Avatar. It was about 7 hours too long & everyone in the theater seemed to be watching a different movie than I was. They were enthralled & in love & I was bored & not entertained. I went with some friends who had already seen in & they kept expecting me to react differently than I was. I was laughing at inappropriate moments. I found the whole idea ridiculous & not in a fun suspension of disbelief or dive in to sci-fi way. I was told it was thought provoking & so entertaining it was like an immersion experience. I've enjoyed a hot bath while listening to a rerun of Gilligan's Island more.

I will forever support anyone who wants to criticize the 'story', 'plot', and 'characters' of Avatar. "Unobtainium"? Really? Yeah, I totally get the hate. I was wary going in (we did see it in IMAX 3D), and had to mentally check out from the events of the story since it was ridiculous.

That said, I thought it was visually stunning.

• Love 1
I will forever support anyone who wants to criticize the 'story', 'plot', and 'characters' of Avatar. "Unobtainium"? Really?

Wait...this is a real thing from the movie? That has to be a joke.  I never saw it, was never interested in seeing it, mainly because of Sam Worthington. I'm secretly grateful that his American career seems to have stalled. 

On a separate note, I figured Gravity was the Avatar of 2013 - visually stunning, very much worth seeing in theaters for the experience, but not much else there.  I like Sandra Bullock, and can objectively appreciate an actress carrying an entire movie that's not a romantic comedy or drama, but I was never invested in her character.  For some very, very unkind reasons.

Last winter I was stuck in a hotel during a blizzard. I called my husband and said, "They only have Showtime, and they're showing Silver Linings Playbook. Get me out of here."

Ha! What happened? Did you watch anyway, RabbitEars?

• Love 1

Ah, Gravity.  I agree it was visually stunning, but after the first  20 minutes or so, I even got bored with that.  And while I could understand the movie being nominated for cinematography or special effects, no way should it have been nominated for best picture.  Although had the category still been limited to five, I don't believe it would have been nominated.    (And I have to say this about Sandra Bullock:  I know it's not at all any of my business, but I haven't liked her much ever since she married that POS tattoed guy.  Sure, she divorced him but...) 

• Love 2
(edited)

Gravity is another popular film that just doesn't interest me, even out of curiosity; it looks like yet another film that is all hat and no horse.  Also, the promos reminded me of the scene in the silly '80s film Space Camp in which Max goes drifting into space and Andy has to use her trusty jet pack to save him; it may be 30 years and 80 million dollars later, but it doesn't look any less cheesy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

My dad was going to buy Gravity but I rented it first for him to see and he was so glad he didn't spend the money. I was visually appealing but it was not a Best Picture in my opinion and Sandra Bullock should not have contended for Best Actress. I just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Also, I didn't see all the fuss for the pirate (I can't think of his name) in Captain Phillips. Don't get me wrong, I thought everyone did a good job but we're talking Oscar nominations, I don't think I would have nominated him.

I agree about the pirate.  I think he got  nominated for just that one line, "Look at me.  I'm the captain now."  I wish him well, but there's no way he should have been nominated. 

Same goes for Sandra Bullock in Gravity, but I think she's popular in Hollywood, so there's that.

Wait...this is a real thing from the movie? That has to be a joke.

The joke was on us. Unobtainium was the name of the resource that was native to Pandora that the humans coveted. I remember when they said the name of it, my husband and I turned to each other and asked for clarification because we had heard "unobtainium" and assumed we'd heard wrong because...really? But, no. It was really called that. I truly don't know how that made it out of the draft stage of the script. That shit belongs in a farce/satire.

• Love 1

I was "persuaded" to see the second Twilight movie (can't be bothered to look up the title), but only if I watched the first one.  All I can say is, I am a good friend. But not THAT good - hell would freeze over before I watch any other in the series.

The joke was on us. Unobtainium was the name of the resource that was native to Pandora that the humans coveted. I remember when they said the name of it, my husband and I turned to each other and asked for clarification because we had heard "unobtainium" and assumed we'd heard wrong because...really? But, no. It was really called that. I truly don't know how that made it out of the draft stage of the script. That shit belongs in a farce/satire.

Wow. Just...wow.

Here's one that's a little different. I know it's not logical, and it's probably petty, but I don't care.

I love the Nolan Batman trilogy. The Dark Knight being the best. I LOVE Christian Bale as both Bruce Wayne/Batman. He, like Kevin Conroy (animated Bats), has ruined me for anyone else to play the role.

That said, I don't like Ben Affleck. I've never liked him. I'm speaking of his acting. I don't think he's a good actor. I HATE that he's the new Batman. I REFUSE to watch the "Superman" sequel when it comes out because of him. He's a good director; but he's not my cup of tea. I don't find him attractive, and his acting is wooden, at best. All this brou-ha-ha, over casting Batman, Wonder Woman, rumors about Green Lantern, Cyborg, blah, blah, has pissed me off, because it's marginalized who the movie is supposed to be about: Superman. Don't get me started on the casting for Lex. UGH.  And I've had it with my friends who bring up "everyone hated Heath Ledger when it was announced he was going to play Joker" blah, blah, blah. Because me? I was intrigued with that casting and wasn't one of "those" that hated the choice.

Whew. I feel better putting that into words. Now I'll just go back to my close-minded cave.

(edited)

Unfortunately, I feel like the ship has sailed on the sequel being about Superman.  Now, it's a race to the Justice League finish line to compete with Marvel, and it's really a shame.  I suspect Marvel hit its peak with The Avengers film, and will be slowly peetering out over the next few years.  This is actually an opportune time for WB/DC to build its live-action Justice League universe effectively rather than hurriedly, and be right there for the folks who will be all Avenger'd or X-Men'd or Spiderman'd out by 2016 or so (and not counting those who already are). 

And the thing is - at least, in the US, Batman and Superman (and even Wonder Woman, despite having no live action feature films) have historically been more iconic, and therefore recognizable, than any individual character on Marvel's end, so it's not like there needs to be a rush to introduce these characters to the viewing public before there is waning interest in comicbook superheroes.  I feel like those who are interested in the characters will watch any decent film about them, so WB/DC may be self-sabotaging themselves.  Time will tell.  

• Love 1

And on the completely opposite end of the spectrum, Ben Affleck is the only reason I'm interested in Superman vs. Batman (for now--I may get more interested when I see the trailers).  :)

My popular opinion is that while last year's Superman wasn't my favorite film, I don't think it was as bad as most people were making it out to be.

While we're talking about comic book movies - I don't think Spiderman 3 is a bad movie. It definitely has its problems, but is still much better than its reputation.

• Love 2
(edited)

All those people you see drowning & dying & freezing? It really happened." I heard back, "love, special, forever, mush, crap, gag, barf."

I think I was forever labeled a curmudgeon among my friends because I found nothing romantic about her dumping the necklace in the ocean. For goodness sakes, sell the thing and start a foundation in your boyfriend's name. A real story about the Titanic can bring me to tears. This movie? Not so much.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 5

My unpopular opinion is that The Dark Knight Rises is a shitty movie. Well made? Sure. But that's about it.

It's about forty five minutes too long, the plot has more holes than Bruce Wayne's knees, Bane is absurdly comical rather than threatening, and Bale's Batman voice has entered full-on parody mode. Meanwhile, Bale himself continues to be incredibly unsympathetic and cold, as he is in most movies.

As far as I'm concerned, Christopher Nolan stripped the Batman universe of nearly everything that was interesting and unique about it, to make his supposedly 'gritty and realistic' movies, and removing all the Gotham darkness just rendered Batman and his various gadgets silly and unbelievable in his own world. That Bat-helicopter thing just made me laugh, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. But then I was probably still sniggering to myself about Bane's comedy voice at that point anyway.

Oh, and I may be one of the few people in the world to not give a flying fuck about Jennifer Lawrence. I've seen her in a couple of movies, and thought she was no different than your average pretty young actress. Not impressive, not terrible, relatively forgettable. But I guess she plays dumb and falls over a lot, so people think she's 'authentic'. Whatever.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm a terrible feminist, but I liked Tangled better than Frozen. I wanted to love Frozen, I did, but did anyone else think the story felt like a sloppy first draft? That there would have been some real gold in it, but no one bothered to tighten it up? Also, since we're being candid, here are some other issues I had with Frozen:

• I'm sorry, but Anna annoyed me! There, I said it! Pelt me with all the rotten fruit you want! I'm not saying there weren't things to like about her, but I felt that the writers were pandering to women. "Hey, look, ladies, Anna wakes up with drool on her face and messy hair! You can relate, amirite? Oh, and she's nervously shoving chocolate in her mouth! Ha! I know you can relate! She's so adorably awkward and clumsy and endearing and real and RELATE, DAMN YOU!!!" I also bristled when someone said Anna was the greatest Disney Princess ever because she wasn't "passively waiting around for a prince to save her". Yes, you could certainly make that point when comparing her to Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora, but what about Belle and Mulan jumping on horses to save their fathers, then risking life and limb to save the men they loved? Tiana working her fingers to the bone, overcoming societal prejudice to open her own restaurant, and single-handedly defeating Dr. Facilier? Rapunzel taking a chance on a stranger to help her venture out into the world, fighting off thugs at a tavern, and discovering her true identity? Merida refusing to acquiesce to an arranged marriage? Because Anna's popular now, she trumps every single female Disney protagonist who came before? Anna's so awesome that everyone else sucks by comparison? That's a little biased, don't you think?
  • Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven, you're all cool… but no one can replace Flynn, Pasquale, and Maximus in my heart. Sorry.
  • I didn't see the chemistry between Kristoff and Anna at all. It felt like she only fell in love with him because she was flattered that he liked her (and, it must be said, he was convenient at the time), and because the trolls had a whole damn song about how wonderful he was. This made her lose points with me, because I don't like it when characters fall in love due a second hand account on someone's qualities. It makes them look weak-minded. This brings me to my real beef with Frozen...
  • I. Frickin'. Hated. The trolls. Didn't dislike them. HATED them. What contrived characters who came from nowhere. I wanted to take a sledgehammer to them. And "Fixer-Upper" is one of the worst Disney songs ever. What exactly is the moral of that song, anyway? A "fixer-upper" implies just that, that something or someone needs to be fixed. But, wait, then they backpedal, saying that you can't change people, "because people don't really change (um, I beg to differ)". Wait, so can you fix someone or not? If Anna should fix Kristoff, why are you telling her she can't? If she shouldn't, why are you singing the damn song at all?! And thanks for wasting time,

speeding up Anna's potential doom, you morons!

And I didn't like how they sang about trying to break up Anna and Hans's engagement.

Yes, yes, I know, Hans is evil (I did love that particular twist), but no one knows that yet! Or wait, do they? Papa Smurf-er, Grandpoppy can see the future, does this mean the other trolls can? If so, why don't you warn Anna instead of singing?

Characters like you are the reason people hate musicals!

• Love 6