Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Ok, another one.  This is movie-related because it's the theme song to a movie.  I hate "Happy."

I hate it.  I hate it. I hate it.  I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I. hate.  it.

• Love 9

I like Kristen Stewart, I think she is such a talented actress and I hate that so much of celebrities personal lives is up for debate, it's none of our business.

I like Twilight too.  I don't think the movies are any worse than any other supernatural teen movie out there and I hate that just because something is overly popular that people feel the need to beat on it.

It's the scene where they're studying in her room, and she presses her forehead against his.  She says, "Even if I sometimes get angry, you know that I secretly love it."  Ugh.

Oh, yeah. That is a shit scene.

I just wish Angelina would eat a few cheeseburgers, but I guess Brad likes 'em slim.

I dislike how Hollywood keeps telling me Angelina has a slamming body because she's absolutely skeletal. I'm not assuming she has an eating disorder or some other issue that keeps her so skinny --why she's underweight is none of my business-- but what I abhor is hearing that being that thin is healthy. It's not. 

I've never liked Angelina Jolie. I think she's a bad actress and her movies are terrible. Also, somebody mentioned Jennifer Aniston coming off cold, but to me that's Angelina times a thousand- talk about a cold, off-putting presence. I think that's because her real personality is still the weird, goth girl underneath but now she goes through all this effort to hide it so that she's taken seriously. she's always rubbed me the wrong way and probably always will

I liked Jennifer Aniston on Friends, but never in any of her movies. i do think she got to play that victim card for a long, long time, but i never liked any of the parties in that particular triangle

• Love 3

I dislike how Hollywood keeps telling me Angelina has a slamming body because she's absolutely skeletal. I'm not assuming she has an eating disorder or some other issue that keeps her so skinny --why she's underweight is none of my business-- but what I abhor is hearing that being that thin is healthy. It's not. 

She was gorgeous, back when she first broke through in movies. I first saw her in Hackers, and found her to be the hottest thing ever, and then she was even hotter in Gia. She was beautiful while still looking healthy. But over the last few years, she just got skinnier and skinnier, and I feel that the idea she's still got a great body is due as much to people having those early images in their heads still, as it is due to Hollywood thinking skeletal is hot.

Ok, another one.  This is movie-related because it's the theme song to a movie.  I hate "Happy."

I hate it.  I hate it. I hate it.  I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I. hate.  it.

That's the Pharrell Williams song? Yeah, it's utter dogshite. Annoying, faux cheerful, 'look at me, I'm so positive' garbage. But it must be great, because Pharrell Williams is a musical genius, right? Whatever.I hear it everywhere, and it does the exact opposite of make me happy.

• Love 2

She was gorgeous, back when she first broke through in movies.

Sadly, that's true for most of them.  Renee Zellwegger was adorable in Jerry MaGuire, but by the time Chicago came around?  Skeletal.

I like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt and believe that they truly do want to help instead of just using their causes to make them look good. 

• Love 2

I've been waiting for awhile to get this UO off my chest: I still like Tom Cruise. Don't give a shit about his personal life, and I enjoy the hell out of his movies. The man knows how to make a good action movie.

And my other deeply UO: I don't get the appeal of Ryan Gosling. He's not the hottest man in Hollywood to me and I don't get all the hype about his supposed "amazing personality" - every interview I've seen him in, he sounds like he's full of himself, has an extremely affected personality, and like he would exhausting to be around.

• Love 9

And my other deeply UO: I don't get the appeal of Ryan Gosling. He's not the hottest man in Hollywood to me and I don't get all the hype about his supposed "amazing personality" - every interview I've seen him in, he sounds like he's full of himself, has an extremely affected personality, and like he would exhausting to be around.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean, it's not like he's a horrifying monster in terms of looks or personality but the internet meme machine has greatly exaggerated the value of his attributes. Of course, I didn't like The Notebook and I didn't see Crazy Stupid Love. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Renee Zellwegger was cute back in the 90's, looked healthy and could open her damn eyes.

Jolie was also pretty back then, after getting with Pitt  she started wasting away and looking

Gollum-ish.

Same with Emma Stone, she's looking like a Hollywood Lollipop Head with a stick thin body as well.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3
I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, and I've never been able to stay awake all the way through 2001.

Me too! I was in a film class and we watched this - halfway through the movie at least half the class was, if not nodding off, completely asleep. But we were all captivated by the original The Day the Earth Stood Still (not the horrid Keanu Reeves remake).

Don't like Angelina Jolie - something about her comes off as fake to me. Don't care who she is dating or how many kids she has, she just seems to be all persona and no real personality.

I liked Just Go With It. I think I may be the only person who did. It's strange because I normally do not like Adam Sandler. I found it funny and enjoyed the pairing of him and Jennifer Aniston.

• Love 1
I liked Just Go With It. I think I may be the only person who did. It's strange because I normally do not like Adam Sandler. I found it funny and enjoyed the pairing of him and Jennifer Aniston.

That was a pleasant little movie. The daughter was the best part!

• Love 1

I like people who can win me over in one performance. Give me that one performance and then I'll suffer through all your bad choices until I can't take any more punishment. With Jolie I hated her irrationally and now that she refuses to go away I find myself wanting to give her a fair shot so I want to watch her "better" movies but it's just so much work to try and make yourself like someone. That's why I dislike the term "hater." Maybe I have legitimate reasons for hating/not-liking you. Anyway, I watched Girl Interrupted a while back. Not impressed. It was fine in a student play kind of way. She took it up to that manic crazy place but not in a way that felt genuine.

• Love 1

Anyway, I watched Girl Interrupted a while back. Not impressed. It was fine in a student play kind of way. She took it up to that manic crazy place but not in a way that felt genuine.

She's excellent in Gia. It's one of the few performances I really like from her, and it seems eerily genuine in a way that makes me think she channels a lot of that crazy from her personal life. She falls flat for me when she's not playing someone who's disturbed in some way. I'm interested in seeing her in Maleficent because she's seems convincing in the previews.

• Love 1

I'm interested in seeing her in Maleficent because she's seems convincing in the previews.

I haven't seen many of her movies, not even Gia, but I took my 12 year old daughter to see Maleficent and thought she was really good in it.  In fact, I was dreading taking her because I thought that, aside from what was sure to be gorgeous visuals, it was going to bore me to death and I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  On the flip side, my friend thought it sucked.  That was a blanket statement, though, and I haven't talked to her yet to find out why she felt that way.  Anyway, I still think Angelina is sincere in her humanitarian efforts and like what I've read from and about her--all weirdness aside  :)

Another UO:  I like Hollywood endings.

I loathe Adam Sandler movies, but I have to give him credit for one thing: he doesn't cast significantly younger women as his love interests.  The majority of his movies have had women that are either his age, or a few years younger.  Most films have men in their late 30s/40s/50s/60s hooking up with women at least 15 years their junior, while women their own age get pushed aside.  

But even now, the 47 year old Sandler tends to work with women who are actually in their 40s as well: Maria Bello, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph, Leslie Mann, Emily Watson, Drew Barrymore (she's 39), and etc.  It's a rare case when you see the lead actor and the actress actually aging together.  Granted, I would love to see these actresses get better vehicles than a Happy Madison film (especially Maria Bello, that's just criminal) but at least Sandler (or his casting agent) recognizes that a middle aged woman is just as valuable as a twentysomething, if not more so.

• Love 16

Even The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates? Only two Adam Sandler films I will watch, everything else is ick. Which reminds me, my UO is I don't like Jim Carrey in most anything, but as with Adam Sandler, I have two movies I love him in. The Truman Show and The Majestic.

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam Sandler, much like Jim Carrey and Robin Williams, is someone I loved when I was much younger, but then, after age 18 or 19, I finally realized, "huh, this guy is more than a little annoying and not that talented".

The Wedding Singer is a movie I loved as a kid, but as I got older I became unbelievably disillusioned with it. In fact, I'll even state the unpopular opinion that I find Sandler's character Robbie to be an utter prick. Yes, Linda was wrong to stand him up at the alter, but that doesn't give him the excuse to be a grade-A asshole and lash out at the rest of the world. Looking back, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Robbie getting beaten up by the father of the bride after he basically destroyed that reception. And then when he wished death to that random guy's face for making an unintentionally insensitive remark? Uh, you go drink and drive, Robbie! Yeah, the guy was an idiot for bringing up Robbie's failed wedding, but watch the scene again: he wasn't trying to be a jerk! He was just a doofus who stuck his foot in his mouth! But telling someone you hope they die by driving under the influence? Yeah, Robbie's the jerk in this scenario, not the other guy. 

Now that I think about it, Robbie is the poster boy for "Nice Guy Syndrome", and his whole "giving singing lessons for meatballs" doesn't fool me for a second. About that last part: there's a difference between being nice and being a fucking moron. Singing lessons are notoriously expensive… they're supposed to be. And if you expect to one day marry and raise a family, guess what? Meatballs aren't going to pay the bills! You have to charge people for your services! As the Joker said in The Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free". It's one thing if you charge less than the going rate, but to give lessons for free is just idiotic. No wonder Robbie is in his 30s and lives in his sister's basement.

And Robbie has numerous opportunities to tell Julia that Glenn is cheating on her, but does he do it? No, he instead lashes out at Julia for wanting to marry Glenn! Uh, hey, douchebag? Julia isn't the villain here, and just because one woman was clever enough to dump your broke ass, it doesn't mean justify you demonizing every woman on the planet! And I can only speak for myself, but if my fiancee were cheating on me, I'd certainly want to know!

And "wanting kids someday" doesn't make you a good person. Children are astronomically expensive, and Robbie can't even afford his own place, much less a kid. He's too busy coasting on a weekend job, giving singing lessons for free (dumbass), and mooching off his sister. He's completely unfit to be a father and husband; he's too lazy, useless, and infantile. And I hope Julia will enjoy living in her sister-in-law's basement, with no privacy or space to call her own, while Robbie makes $60 a gig, if he's lucky enough not to get fired after throwing a tantrum!

Hell, maybe Linda's not such a horrible person after all...

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3
(edited)

I like Hollywood endings.

By Hollywood endings do you mean satisfying, usually happy endings? I don't think there's anything wrong with those endings either but it seems like some filmmakers and critics view any ending without ambiguity as too simple or inherently bad. There are some ambiguous, non traditional endings that I love but it doesn't fit every film. 

Edited by Oreo2234

I agree, Oreo2234, it really depends on the film.  Whenever I hear or read "Hollywood ending," it's usually with a tone of derision or sarcasm.  And while I somewhat understand it, I've no qualms with admitting that I can enjoy a film with a beginning, middle, and end, and I'm not left to ponder the existentialism or navel-gazing that said "ambiguity" represents.  Besides, a movie can have a clear ending AND resonate/generate discussion afterwards.  They're not mutually exclusive.

• Love 1

By Hollywood endings do you mean satisfying, usually happy endings?

Yes. I can handle some ambiguous endings and, from time to time, even endings where things definitely don't turn out well, but, I don't like leaving a movie depressed or pissed off.  I can handle being perplexed about it (like the ending of All is Lost--did he die or was he rescued?) because sometimes I like to be challenged, but I hate being upset after a movie (like the movie Seven--hated it because of the ending.  Even though I understood why they did it that way, it still pissed me off and depressed me at the same time). 

I loathe Adam Sandler movies, but I have to give him credit for one thing: he doesn't cast significantly younger women as his love interests.  The majority of his movies have had women that are either his age, or a few years younger.  Most films have men in their late 30s/40s/50s/60s hooking up with women at least 15 years their junior, while women their own age get pushed aside.  

But even now, the 47 year old Sandler tends to work with women who are actually in their 40s as well: Maria Bello, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph, Leslie Mann, Emily Watson, Drew Barrymore (she's 39), and etc.  It's a rare case when you see the lead actor and the actress actually aging together.  Granted, I would love to see these actresses get better vehicles than a Happy Madison film (especially Maria Bello, that's just criminal) but at least Sandler (or his casting agent) recognizes that a middle aged woman is just as valuable as a twentysomething, if not more so.

I think that the age of the love interests in his films is largerly due to the fact that that they are almost invariably mothers with children old enough to talk but not so old as to be teenagers so the actresses can't be twenty somethings. I think its because he loves to play father figures.

(Not that this takes away from casting older women of course, just that it has a lot to do with the narrative role women usually have in Sandler films.)

• Love 1

I like "Hollywood endings", too. Either on TV or in movies. I get that they can be hokey, but damn it, the world is sad and depressing enough. To me, there's nothing wrong with a satisfying (which doesn't HAVE TO mean happy, but I'm cool with it if it is!) ending and not "deep" or existential or whatnot.

I look at movies - and TV - as escapism. And I even like some of the depressing stuff. But I hate it when happiness is now frowned upon by some because it's sappy or corny or not cool.

• Love 5

By Hollywood endings do you mean satisfying, usually happy endings? I don't think there's anything wrong with those endings either but it seems like some filmmakers and critics view any ending without ambiguity as too simple or inherently bad. There are some ambiguous, non traditional endings that I love but it doesn't fit every film.

I don't even know what Hollywood ending means anymore. Hollywood has pretty much done and then repeated all the endings. They kind of just own all the endings now. So a happy ending feels like a Hollywood ending and subversion also feels like a Hollywood ending. Anyway, I for one, love to see a couple get together at the end of a romance if they (the couple) and the movie have earned it. There's nothing better than that for me as a romance fan (when it's done right). However, I also think the ending to Roman Holiday is beautiful and as much as it pains me, it makes the movie so much more special. Make that movie nowadays and it would be The Princess Diaries 2. I mean that literally. I don't mind the ending to Inception but then I didn't find that movie as complex as the internet seemed to think it was. However, I hate and then they went on living endings. I don't find those meaningful or ambiguous. They just feel like you forgot to finish the third act. It's difficult to explain but there's a difference between an ending that suggests that the characters will go on with their lives and an ending that doesn't really end the movie. I just find the latter lazy.

I don't even know what Hollywood ending means anymore. Hollywood has pretty much done and then repeated all the endings. They kind of just own all the endings now. So a happy ending feels like a Hollywood ending and subversion also feels like a Hollywood ending. Anyway, I for one, love to see a couple get together at the end of a romance if they (the couple) and the movie have earned it. There's nothing better than that for me as a romance fan (when it's done right). However, I also think the ending to Roman Holiday is beautiful and as much as it pains me, it makes the movie so much more special. Make that movie nowadays and it would be The Princess Diaries 2. I mean that literally. I don't mind the ending to Inception but then I didn't find that movie as complex as the internet seemed to think it was. However, I hate and then they went on living endings. I don't find those meaningful or ambiguous. They just feel like you forgot to finish the third act. It's difficult to explain but there's a difference between an ending that suggests that the characters will go on with their lives and an ending that doesn't really end the movie. I just find the latter lazy.

@aradia22 , I think you and are kindred tv/movie spirits. Roman Holiday is one of my favourite films and the ending is beautiful and perfect yet painful. While I did see it as a kid, I had watched enough movies to know that this was not a typical "Hollywood ending". It was atypical of its time though the 1940s onwards had less rosy happy endings too.

I do agree the term has been stretched. I think in a romance, a Hollywood ending is where everyone lives happily ever after. Even then, the Nicolas Sparks movies prove that a lot of audiences want a neat albeit contrived, not everybody lives ending either. Maybe it's the neat package as if all wrapped up that makes Hollywood endings.

When watching foreign cinema or shows, I do notice that there are endings that wouldn't take place in Hollywood or big production NA movies whether it is a lot more self-sacrifice and grim storytelling or the plot and story just ends without much resolution which mimics life.

Even The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates?

I like The Wedding Singer, and it's probably one of his most solid movies.  It helps that Adam and Drew had great chemistry.  But IMHO, one reason it's loved so much is because of 80s nostalgia.  The movie is ripe with it.  

50 First Dates is cute, but I just can't wrap my head around Lucy's condition.  The happy-ever-after ending was too farfetched for me.  I actually wished there was some random occurrence that would restore her memory back to normal, because I couldn't see them having a long life together.  What if the tape falls apart, or Lucy's dad isn't around to verify that Henry isn't some psycho who drugged her and brought her back to his home?  It's easy to say love takes care of everything, but the foundation of that relationship is barely stable.  

I think that the age of the love interests in his films is largerly due to the fact that that they are almost invariably mothers with children old enough to talk but not so old as to be teenagers so the actresses can't be twenty somethings.  I think its because he loves to play father figures.

That's a good point.  Sandler doesn't do bachelor movies anymore, he only plays the family man.

(edited)

I've never liked Angelina Jolie. I think she's a bad actress and her movies are terrible. Also, somebody mentioned Jennifer Aniston coming off cold, but to me that's Angelina times a thousand- talk about a cold, off-putting presence. I think that's because her real personality is still the weird, goth girl underneath but now she goes through all this effort to hide it so that she's taken seriously. she's always rubbed me the wrong way and probably always will

I liked Jennifer Aniston on Friends, but never in any of her movies. i do think she got to play that victim card for a long, long time, but i never liked any of the parties in that particular triangle

I've never liked her either.  Everyone seems to forget how skeezy Angelina Jolie used to be, making out with her own brother and being married to Billy Bob Thorton who, while a good actor, is skeevier than her.

I like Jennifer Lawrence but have no idea why she won an Oscar for her overrated performance in Silver Linings Playbook.  Bradley Cooper dominated that film and should have gotten a lot more attention than Lawrence did for it.  Lawrence's performance was nothing special and her performance was practically a supporting one in the movie.

Also, I think a lot of the tripping she does at award shows and weird comments she makes is just an act.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

i think it's her shtick, but i'm willing to believe she's like that when the cameras are off too, i just wouldn't be able to stand it in real life. i've met people who just love to hog all the attention in a room and make it all about them, and she strikes me as exactly that type. i hate that.

Even The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates? Only two Adam Sandler films I will watch, everything else is ick. Which reminds me, my UO is I don't like Jim Carrey in most anything, but as with Adam Sandler, I have two movies I love him in. The Truman Show and The Majestic.

Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, @BizBuzz? That one is my personal favorite by Jim Carrey. 

I like Jennifer Lawrence but have no idea why she won an Oscar for her overrated performance in Silver Linings Playbook.  Bradley Cooper dominated that film and should have gotten a lot more attention than Lawrence did for it.  Lawrence's performance was nothing special and her performance was practically a supporting one in the movie.

I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook, but I've seen her in four films so far, and I'm not sold on her being a good actress at all. She's beautiful but aside from that I'm not getting the hype.

Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, @BizBuzz? That one is my personal favorite by Jim Carrey. 

I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook, but I've seen her in four films so far, and I'm not sold on her being a good actress at all. She's beautiful but aside from that I'm not getting the hype.

Heh, I'm the opposite - I think she's a good actress (if a little overhyped) but I don't get the praise for her beauty at all.

Maybe I'm I do think she is too young for some of the roles she plays - even in Silver Linings Playbook her character really should have been played by an actress in her early thirties rather than early twenties.

even in Silver Linings Playbook her character really should have been played by an actress in her early thirties rather than early twenties.

As much as I love Jennifer Lawrence, I think the original choice (Angelina Jolie), would've been much better. I think she would've nailed it; though obviously, taking care of her health was more important than the role.

• Love 1

I thought of another UO: I don't think it's a terrible injustice that Crash won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain. I don't buy the allegations of homophobia. I thought Brokeback was abominably slow; and films where emotion is repressed rather than expressed outright don't make for very exciting viewing to me. Crash didn't say anything that was groundbreaking about racism, but I did find the characters interesting and the interlocking stories engaging.

• Love 1

I thought of another UO: I don't think it's a terrible injustice that Crash won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain. I don't buy the allegations of homophobia. I thought Brokeback was abominably slow; and films where emotion is repressed rather than expressed outright don't make for very exciting viewing to me. Crash didn't say anything that was groundbreaking about racism, but I did find the characters interesting and the interlocking stories engaging.

Thank you!  I agree with everything you said.  I never even made it through Brokeback Mountain and I'm a huge supporter of gay rights, so wasn't because I'm homophobic.  I just thought it was boring.

Here's another one:  I can't stand Clint Eastwood.  I just don't like him as an actor.  As far as the movies he's directed, I've only seen The Bridges of Madison County (hated it) and J.Edgar (which I liked).  The others just don't appeal to me. Although, I am going to go see Jersey Boys, but then I tend to like those kinds of movies, so I'm hoping this one is good. 

I don't buy the allegations of homophobia.

While I can't say that everyone who didn't vote for Brokeback did so due to homophobia, many members did say that they refused to watch the movie and therefore refused to vote for it because of the subject.  Some spoke on the condition of anonymity while others didn't but there is proof of homophobia affecting some of the votes that year.  If they'd said they didn't vote for it and backed it up with real criticisms, or if Crash was the biggest financial and critical hit of the year, that would be one thing but those who voiced their homophobia were proud of that stance and that's where the controversy comes from.  

• Love 5

Thank you!  I agree with everything you said.  I never even made it through Brokeback Mountain and I'm a huge supporter of gay rights, so wasn't because I'm homophobic.  I just thought it was boring.

Here's another one:  I can't stand Clint Eastwood.  I just don't like him as an actor.  As far as the movies he's directed, I've only seen The Bridges of Madison County (hated it) and J.Edgar (which I liked).  The others just don't appeal to me. Although, I am going to go see Jersey Boys, but then I tend to like those kinds of movies, so I'm hoping this one is good. 

I like Clint but I wish he would stop directing films that are so damn depressing.  Direct a comedy, Clint, will ya?!

I definitely felt that Lawrence's win for Silver Linings Playbook was undeserved.  That whole movie was just OK, including her performance.  Combined with her annoying public persona, it's why I haven't been able to warm up to her.  Plus, her version of Mystique is terrible.  Haven't seen Days of Future Past, though.

Frozen was boring.  The plot is so weak, and the real villain basically materializes out of nowhere and there's no background for it.  And ugh, that song.  How many versions of it do we need?  

Big UOs here: I hated Raging Bull, and I loved Ordinary People.  I can live with DeNiro winning the Oscar, but I'm so glad that Ordinary People won Best Picture, because it deserved it.

Hated Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Hepburn's character was such a bitch and the whole ending scene with the cat did nothing for me.  Give me Roman Holiday or Sabrina any day over that mess.

• Love 2

I hate Star Wars. It doesn't matter if it's an old one or a sequel or a prequel or part eleventyoneone. I've tried to like them, I really have, but they're just lacking some nebulous but essential component for me. They're boring and the special effects are terrible and everyone is so damn self-satisfied. I remember in second grade we had a movie day and the choices were Star Wars vs. Aladdin and I was super pissed that Star Wars won by six votes. Way to ruin a perfectly good movie day, Mrs. Woods' second grade class!

• Love 1

Although, I am going to go see Jersey Boys, but then I tend to like those kinds of movies, so I'm hoping this one is good.

I like Clint but I wish he would stop directing films that are so damn depressing.  Direct a comedy, Clint, will ya?!

I don't think I've seen a single movie he's directed but I will be watching Jersey Boys because I missed JLY on Broadway. But would it have killed Clint Eastwood to not film Jersey Boys in his Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of Our Fathers color palette? I get that it's not exactly a shiny, happy musical but does everything need to be gray and beige? It's Jersey Boys. Why so serious?

Frozen was boring.  The plot is so weak, and the real villain basically materializes out of nowhere and there's no background for it.  And ugh, that song.  How many versions of it do we need?

I really enjoyed Frozen though it has problems. I think

Hans

was a fine villain and I liked the commentary behind it which echoed what they were building with TPATF (which disappeared for the most part in Tangled) deconstructing the fairytale. However, I do think it was a bit cheap to throw in a red herring villain (the older character... can't remember his name).

Big UOs here: I hated Raging Bull, and I loved Ordinary People.  I can live with DeNiro winning the Oscar, but I'm so glad that Ordinary People won Best Picture, because it deserved it.

Oh,  my gosh. I never saw Raging Bull, but I absolutely loved Ordinary People (book and movie). Such powerful and nuanced work from everyone in the cast --- ironically, sad as it is, I find it very life affirming.

I suffered being unpopular when two films that everyone raved over had me stuffing popcorn into my mouth to keep from falling asleep. Could not keep my eyes open during any of the Lord of the Rings movies. Yeah, cinematography, sound, epic setting and costuming work...blah blah blah...I KNOW. Those are still some of the slowest movies I've ever endured.

And I'm the only person on the planet who was bored to tears by Pulp Fiction. Maybe because I'm not into comic books or just didn't give a crap about any of the characters, but I was hitting the Junior Mints really hard during that movie and that was the only thing I enjoyed about sitting through that (IMNSHO) crapfest. Maybe my expectations were off - I liked Reservoir Dogs and had an idea going in to Pulp Fiction what I was expecting. Wrong. It took a lot of convincing to get me to go see the Kill Bill movies, but those were kinda entertaining.

So glad I only spent a dollar at Red Box to see Juno. What an overhyped drag. Hey, Diablo, you're not nearly as clever as you think you are. Don't care if you're a stripper turned writer; your movie dialog was stilted and tried way too hard. And I like Ellen Page and thought she did a good job with her material, but honest to blog, the only character I cared about was Jennifer Garner's (which was a surprise, because normally she's fairly 'meh' to me).

I am appalled by Pretty Woman's storyline on so many levels, but I can't stop watching it whenever it's on. That is one well done fantasy.

And I'm the only person on the planet who was bored to tears by Pulp Fiction. Maybe because I'm not into comic books or just didn't give a crap about any of the characters, but I was hitting the Junior Mints really hard during that movie and that was the only thing I enjoyed about sitting through that (IMNSHO) crapfest. Maybe my expectations were off - I liked Reservoir Dogs and had an idea going in to Pulp Fiction what I was expecting. Wrong. It took a lot of convincing to get me to go see the Kill Bill movies, but those were kinda entertaining.

I've never seen Pulp Fiction, and don't want to.  I've seen clips here and there, but nothing has compelled me to sit down and watch the entire movie.  I've never been a Tarantino fan, though, and this video pretty much guaranteed that for the future.  The looks I've gotten from people in real life when I express as much tells me it's not exactly a popular (or often expressed) opinion. 

• Love 1

I like parts of Pulp Fiction but not really into it as a whole. I get that it put John Travolta back out there, but I saw nothing impressive in his performance (I especially hated that corny dance scene with him & Uma Thurman). I thought he was much better in Get Shorty and even Face/Off ...he makes a great bad guy when he gets to have a personality. Vincent Vega was dull. As for Quentin Tarantino, I much preferred Jackie Brown

As for Quentin Tarantino, I much preferred Jackie Brown

Same here.  I think that's the only one of Tarantino's films I've ever really liked.  As for Pulp Fiction, I like the soundtrack and certain snippets of dialogue, but the movie as a whole does nothing for me, either (including that dance scene).

And I like Ellen Page and thought she did a good job with her material, but honest to blog, the only character I cared about was Jennifer Garner's (which was a surprise, because normally she's fairly 'meh' to me).

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about this movie the other day.  I haven't seen enough of Jennifer Garner to have an opinion of her either way (she seems nice, though), but I really felt for her in this movie and was so happy that it ended the way it did. 

• Love 1

Crash vs. Brokeback Mountain...

The Academy went with the safer choice, which saddens me.

Crash was an overwrought and heavy handed Lifetime Network MOTW, about racism. 

That wasted an overall solid cast. 

Brokeback Mountain was a beautifully shot and acted film, about two people that fell in love.

A love, that goes against what many in society deem acceptable.

In this case same sex love, but easily could've been interracial or rich vs. poor.

JMO

• Love 5
(edited)

Avengers UO: I was not all the jazzed by Scarlett Johannsson as the Black Widow. I'm all for a strong female character, and I understand that she is supposed to have a lot of control over her feelings, but that doesn't mean she has to read her lines in a monotone. Her affect is so flat and uninteresting to me in the film. And considering I thought her voice was a lovely and inviting presence in Her, I'm guessing it was a directing choice for The Avengers and it was a bad choice (though, I didn't see Iron Man 2 or the most recent Captain America, so if it's the same way in those, then it's just a poor acting choice)

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I love Gwyneth as Pepper Potts and think Robert and she have tons of chemistry. I watch Iron Man and Avengers for their scenes together. Doubling down on this UO, I like Gwyneth as an actress in general.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4