Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wonder if he'll fare any better in the Dune sequel, since I finally saw the first one and it was similar. Paul Atreides is supposed to be this great leader, but Chalamet doesn't do much to make it believable.

I don't think he's supposed to be a great leader yet in Dune Part I. 

6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types:  Beatles, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber. There's this funny term online called "twink death" when a male celebrity gets old and loses their youthful male beauty.

That doesn't mean they stop being popular though.  The Beatles are still revered.   Leo Dicaprio keeps working even though he's out of his glowy phase.

6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types

Yeah, but for me, Timothee isn’t attractive enough to be even in that category. But all taste is subjective.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Paul Atreides is supposed to be this great leader, but Chalamet doesn't do much to make it believable.

Say what you will about the David Lynch film, but Kyle MacLachlan at least had presence.  Although he was no Sting in a leather bikini.

• LOL 5
(edited)

Caution: Unmarked spoilers ahead.

Classic Hollywood UO :

I adore Barbara Stanwyck to bits, but I hate Stella Dallas. I can handle some melodrama, I can live with old-fashioned plot contrivances, I can even shrug off questionable character choices, but I find the penultimate climax of Stella Dallas is just too egregiously absurd and frustrating. Stella doesn't come off as noble and self-sacrificing by pretending to reject her daughter, she comes off as stupid and selfish. And, even taking old-school class divides into consideration, just how necessary was this?

While we're on the subject, I love that fabulous legend Bette Davis, but I never liked Dark Victory, even though it's considered one of her definitive roles. Again, the melodrama is laid on way too thick, and our protagonist comes off more like a solipsistic martyr than a noble heroine (to me, anyway).

It's also just too damned long. I felt like Elaine from Seinfeld watching The English Patient: "Just DIE already!"

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
On 2/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, Shannon L. said:

I don't think Marvel's problem is "superhero fatigue ". I think that if Marvel had maintained the same quality of writing and world building that they were doing in the first 10 years, they'd still be going strong.  I know I'd be still buying advanced tickets to see the latest movie on opening weekend if that were the case.

You can blame woke ESG and DIE policies for that. 😡

On 2/27/2024 at 11:36 AM, Fool to cry said:

Young girls have always gone for the soft, non threatening, pretty types:  Beatles, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber. There's this funny term online called "twink death" when a male celebrity gets old and loses their youthful male beauty.

I cannot find it at the moment, but there's a clip form Family Guy in which Lois in a flashback says she wants to see Scott Baio in Zapped because he's handsome in a "non-threatening" way.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2024 at 9:11 AM, Shannon L. said:

I don't think Marvel's problem is "superhero fatigue ". I think that if Marvel had maintained the same quality of writing and world building that they were doing in the first 10 years, they'd still be going strong.  I know I'd be still buying advanced tickets to see the latest movie on opening weekend if that were the case.

5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

You can blame woke ESG and DIE policies for that. 😡

The policies where the women keep getting killed off or turned into villains while the guys skate? I don't believe 'woke' means what you think it means.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
On 3/2/2024 at 12:19 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Caution: Unmarked spoilers ahead.

Classic Hollywood UO :

I adore Barbara Stanwyck to bits, but I hate Stella Dallas. I can handle some melodrama, I can live with old-fashioned plot contrivances, I can even shrug off questionable character choices, but I find the penultimate climax of Stella Dallas is just too egregiously absurd and frustrating. Stella doesn't come off as noble and self-sacrificing by pretending to reject her daughter, she comes off as stupid and selfish. And, even taking old-school class divides into consideration, just how necessary was this?

While we're on the subject, I love that fabulous legend Bette Davis, but I never liked Dark Victory, even though it's considered one of her definitive roles. Again, the melodrama is laid on way too thick, and our protagonist comes off more like a solipsistic martyr than a noble heroine (to me, anyway).

It's also just too damned long. I felt like Elaine from Seinfeld watching The English Patient: "Just DIE already!"

You'd really hate The Great Man's Lady (1942) which had Miss Stanwyck play a woman who not only spent the better part of a century hiding a politician's early bigamous marriage with herself but never even uttered a peep to him about their tragically drowned twin babies! I mean, COME ON! She made Stella Dallas look like Lady Macbeth!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1