Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

The morals and themes were heavy-handed, but not offensively so. I adored the real sets (ah, man, real sets!), and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I didn't find it that heavy-handed, but the fact that everyone was having a good time making it was what I loved most about it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love them equally.

I told my realization to a friend of mine and she said she flip flops between the two.  I thought it was fairly common for one to prefer the first one over the second.  I was the same until this latest rewatch.  I do wonder how long Ralph Breaks the Internet will hold up though.  It doesn't feel outdated yet but so much of the story relies on internet culture (eBay auctions, likes on YouTube, etc) and it's only a matter of time before that changes.  I don't think Wreck It Ralph will have the same problem.

• Like 2

I think the term nepo baby is an insult. Having talented parents doesn't mean that you aren't talented yourself. Micheal Douglas and Carrie Fisher would be considered Nepo babies and they managed to become stars on their own.

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I think the term nepo baby is an insult. Having talented parents doesn't mean that you aren't talented yourself. Micheal Douglas and Carrie Fisher would be considered Nepo babies and they managed to become stars on their own.

It's a pretty stupid insult since unless your parent is like a super big Hollywood big shot like a producer or studio head, being their kid is only going to take you so far.

Plus ever job finding course I have taken or book I have read says to use every connection you can to help get your foot in the door and find the job you want. So why is a kid using their parents connection worse than anyone using any other connection they have. Like is it bad if Maya Hawk uses her parents to help find a job but is it ok if Uma Thurman makes a call or recommends Ethan Hawke for a job? Because it would shock me if Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke didn't help each other out from time to time.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's a pretty stupid insult since unless your parent is like a super big Hollywood big shot like a producer or studio head, being their kid is only going to take you so far.

It's both, IMO, an insult and kind of a nonsensical one, but it's based on the idea that most actors make lots of money for doing not much. With the strikes just over, there's been quite a bit of talk about "well, maybe acting shouldn't be such a high-paid profession, then the writers could be paid fairly", but there aren't many actors who get Harrison Ford type money for one movie. I don't know the exact numbers, but Ford got 25 million dollars to be in the new Indiana Jones movie, and that was after taking a huge pay cut. There's dozens or maybe even hundreds of others who don't get anywhere near that, and the cost of living in California in particular is ridiculous. But by 'getting a hand up' from a parent or another relative who is also in the business, they're seen as having an unfair advantage towards making lots of money for doing not much.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So why is a kid using their parents connection worse than anyone using any other connection they have.

I don't think it's worse, but making that connection is a little easier if you have parents/siblings in the business. On the flip side, I'd say there's probably a higher bar for them because of that. Just because you're Mya Hawk; ok, you get cast in the Good Lord Bird, but if you fall flat on your face, even if I'm good friends with your dad, I'm not pulling the trigger on you for another role.

I don't know where I watched it, but Ice Cube basically said the same to his son. 

I think it may just be because that type of connection is not equal for everyone. I don't have parents in the business, so I have to hustle harder. That may or may not be true because I don't think the kids or siblings are just being handed roles. The relations may be enough to get an audition, which is still a big deal, but you still have to kill in the audition. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think it may just be because that type of connection is not equal for everyone. I don't have parents in the business, so I have to hustle harder. That may or may not be true because I don't think the kids or siblings are just being handed roles. The relations may be enough to get an audition, which is still a big deal, but you still have to kill in the audition. 

It's an advantage in that it gets your foot in the door to begin with when actors without family connections might not be able to do so, but unless your parent is a producer or director who keeps casting you in their projects, it's on you to make a career happen from that point onward.

• Like 5

I don't like the term overall but I don't think it's entirely unjustified to argue that they have it easier. It's not just about getting the foot in the door, if you grow up in that environment, your parents probably have friends in the business, you might interact with their children, you learn the etiquette, the lingo, it's a supported career choice and you know a lot of people simply by being exposed to that environment. How to find an agent, where to go for auditions, what might be good for you, getting advice from experienced people including parents, how much money to negotiate. Compare that with a kid from Minnesota who has no idea where to even start because they don't even know where to ask. And their parents might not approve of that career choice. And most of your friends might not either.

I see it all the time with students whose parents are academics compared to students who are first-generation college students. They have an enormous advantage just having an appropriate mindset and the knowledge from their parents on how to negotiate the system, how not to waste time with certain courses, what to look for in an advisor. Never even mind having a lot less impostor syndrome. I find students with a less privileged background tend to take longer on average to find their major or take a bit longer to graduate because they spend a lot longer trying to figure out the system in their first years.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I think the term nepo baby is an insult. Having talented parents doesn't mean that you aren't talented yourself.

There is a bit of jealousy behind the term, and a bit of truth as well. Yes, the connections mean a lot in show business, but also access to acting teachers, observing behavior on sets, the resources for both and the time to get the kids to rehearsals, etc. No reasonable person is asking these folks to apologize for the leg up that anyone would take, just acknowledgement and the appearance of getting it. Acting at the Hollywood level is like winning the lottery, so a bit of grace about it is appreciated. 

• Like 10
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

There is a bit of jealousy behind the term, and a bit of truth as well. Yes, the connections mean a lot in show business, but also access to acting teachers, observing behavior on sets, the resources for both and the time to get the kids to rehearsals, etc. No reasonable person is asking these folks to apologize for the leg up that anyone would take, just acknowledgement and the appearance of getting it. Acting at the Hollywood level is like winning the lottery, so a bit of grace about it is appreciated. 

But having good looks or a natural talent also helps, yet people usually don't ask actors to talk at length about how much advantage they get from those. Same goes for athletes that just have natural advantages like long legs. People have no choice in where and when they are born or to what family, so I find it weird that they should have to acknowledge it when it helps them in life. Same goes for what people call "priviledge". If someone wants to talk about how it helped them, great, but I see no reason why we should expect it from those who don't or consider them snobbish or whatever.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

But having good looks or a natural talent also helps, yet people usually don't ask actors to talk at length about how much advantage they get from those. Same goes for athletes that just have natural advantages like long legs. People have no choice in where and when they are born or to what family, so I find it weird that they should have to acknowledge it when it helps them in life. Same goes for what people call "priviledge". If someone wants to talk about how it helped them, great, but I see no reason why we should expect it from those who don't or consider them snobbish or whatever.

I think that being born into a family with connections in the business is a much bigger advantage than just having good looks or talent.  So some acknowledgment of how much that has helped early on in one's career is a good move and looks far more gracious than not admitting it.  Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think that being born into a family with connections in the business is a much bigger advantage than just having good looks or talent.  So some acknowledgment of how much that has helped early on in one's career is a good move and looks far more gracious than not admitting it.  Just my opinion, of course.

I agree, but even so there's levels to it. Hailee Steinfeld is a nepo baby, but so is Scott Eastwood. They are not the same. That foot in the door may work wonders in helpng a young actor get their start, but if there's not innate talent to work with then those family connections are the only things that will assist in being cast and even being considered for roles.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I agree, but even so there's levels to it. Hailee Steinfeld is a nepo baby, but so is Scott Eastwood. They are not the same. That foot in the door may work wonders in helpng a young actor get their start, but if there's not innate talent to work with then those family connections are the only things that will assist in being cast and even being considered for roles.

Oh, absolutely.  It's a step up but it can only help so much.

8 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Plus most people want to help their friends and family be successful. Did Adam Sandler basically give his daughter a movie with You are so Not Invited to my Bat Mitzvah? Sure but he also gave his friend Rob Schneider, Kevin James and David Spade movies to star in as the head of Happy Madison.

• Like 4

I also wonder if some of them might see it as some compensation for all the bad stuff that comes with having famous parents, like growing up with less privacy than other kids, surrounded by paparazzi. That can be tough on children (hell, it can be tough on adults too, but at least they chose that life). I don't mean anyone specific, just trying to imagine how I would feel in a situation like that. I think I could very well feel like if I'm already a part of that world whether I like it or not, I'm probably owed some advantage that comes from it for having to put up with all the disadvantages.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 9/27/2023 at 2:28 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus most people want to help their friends and family be successful. Did Adam Sandler basically give his daughter a movie with You are so Not Invited to my Bat Mitzvah? Sure but he also gave his friend Rob Schneider, Kevin James and David Spade movies to star in as the head of Happy Madison.

The difference with that is that all three of those actors either had successful runs on Saturday Night Live, which Adam had no sway over, or had a successful stand up and television career, like Kevin James. It was a combo of being friends with them and knowing they were reliable performers with successful careers of their own. This isn't like the Maya Hawk situation, where she craved out a career for a few years before she worked with her dad Ethan Hawke, but closer to what Judd Apatow did with his daughters (and even then neither Maude nor Iris were the stars of those movies). I don't begrudge Adam Sandler or his kids. He is rich enough to do what he wants and seems they had a good work ethic. 

Now nepotism in Hollywood is pretty innocent. They are entertaining or doing some other form of art, not setting public policy which is much more dangerous. And not all nepotism are created equal. Hailee Stenfield and Timothee Chalmat have connections, but those connections probably gave them industry knowledge and maybe a meeting with agents at most. The most Megan Markle's own nepotism connection got her was a minor role on General Hospital so she could get her SAG card and she was pretty much on her own after that. 

However, the one thing that Hollywood nepotism can help with is not have young and desperate performers being preyed upon in Hollywood, as they have their well off and well connected families to fall back on.

I will note, ot also isn't a sure thing, as it didn't protect Mina Sorvino or Gwyneth Paltrow from Harvey Weinstein, despite not only both women's family having good acting/directing careers, but both women have achieved their own acclaim. Same thing with Grace Van Dien, who was harassed by either a producer and director, so now she earns her money from Twitch streams. 

I think what is it is that nepotism is more prevalent in just about every industry today, but Hollywood is the most visible, so that is where we direct our anger. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2

Confessions of a geriatric millennial:

The Nightmare Before Christmas:  Great Soundtrack.  so/so movie.

Hocus Pocus:  Even as a kid it was never a favorite.  I remember renting when it was a new release and getting bored about half way through.  I never really gave it much thought after that until the recent second life it's had.

Casper:  Never seen it.

The Addams Family: probably the best watch for me of this particular era and genre and even then it's not great..  I did enjoy it as a child and now I appreciate it for the perfection of Julia, Houston, and Ricci in their respective roles.  I love it when "real ACT-ors" give it their all in movies like this.  You can tell both Julia and Houston were having fun and neither felt they were above the material.   And Ricci gives one of the best child performances ever in The Addams Family.  Dark and funny and mature beyond her then years.  

And speaking of Angelica Houston I have not seen the Witches in a very long time but I remember really liking it way back when.  For some reason I have a feeling it's held up well enough.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 4
On 10/2/2023 at 10:53 PM, kiddo82 said:

The Addams Family: probably the best watch for me of this particular era and genre and even then it's not great..

I'll go with that on the first movie, but Addams Family Values is not only the rarest of sequels that improves on the original, it's one of the best comedies of the 90s.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, starri said:

I'll go with that on the first movie, but Addams Family Values is not only the rarest of sequels that improves on the original, it's one of the best comedies of the 90s.

I agree. It's hilarious. If Debbie wasn't bent on killing Fester she would have realized she married into the right family.  Also, Wednesday's attack on the Thanksgiving play was awesome and hilarious. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ll raise you one. 

The Corpse Bride is a far superior film. 

I've only seen Corpse Bride once or twice amd I don't really remember it.  Nut the difference is I got through it both times whereas I still can't sit through Nightmare Before Christmas without taking a break.  And the movie is like an hour long!

Edited by kiddo82
28 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I don't give a fig who thinks Die Hard is a Christmas movie and who doesn't.  

Get out of my head!! I feel the same way!

I love to watch the Cocteau Beauty and the Beast around Christmas time. Does it have anything at all to do with Christmas? Lord, no! But it feels right for the season, so that's what I do!

Seriously, watch whatever the hell you want at Christmas, what does it even matter?

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Seriously, watch whatever the hell you want at Christmas, what does it even matter?

There are Top 10 list that need to be published so my site can get clicks.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
8 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

God, yes.  Sound of Music.  Wizard of Oz.  Star Wars.  None of these are seasonal movies but all are in heavy rotation this time of year.  If you want to watch it, great.  If not, don't.  Just leave everyone else out of it.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

God, yes.  Sound of Music.  Wizard of Oz.  Star Wars.  None of these are seasonal movies but all are in heavy rotation this time of year.  If you want to watch it, great.  If not, don't.  Just leave everyone else out of it.

One line from one of many showstopper songs put My Favorite Things on Christmas albums and The Sound of Music on ABC's holiday movie schedules 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but while I still think CA: The Winter Soldier is the best of all the Marvel movies,  I think Spider-Man is the strongest set of movies within the Marvel universe.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but while I still think CA: The Winter Soldier is the best of all the Marvel movies,  I think Spider-Man is the strongest set of movies within the Marvel universe.

As much as I do enjoy Iron Man 3 you are probably right. Although l do feel that a few other series could have been contenders. The Black Panther movies if Chadwick Boseman hadn't died (or had a secret actor twin brother) or the Ant Man movies if they hadn't done such a big deviation from the formula of the first two movies (and ended up with a CG mess).

• Like 2
On 11/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, kiddo82 said:

I don't give a fig who thinks Die Hard is a Christmas movie and who doesn't.  

I also eye roll at anyone who says Die Hard is the best Christmas movie because they think it makes them edgy.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I also eye roll at anyone who says Die Hard is the best Christmas movie because they think it makes them edgy.

The themes of holiday season depression over family loss in Lethal Weapon are much stronger than in Die Hard which should have worked over any holiday weekend.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am probably in the minority, but I don’t think Thor Love and Thunder was as bad as all that. With a little more tweaking, it would have been better.

I didn't really mind it either. It was still a way above average Thor movie. There were some dumb story elements but I think that Ragnarok set the bar so high it would have been really hard to match it.

My other MCU unpopular opinion is that they probably chose the worst option for Black Panther 2. I am not sure how much of the story would have changed if Chadwick had lived but I think recasting or just not making it (and having the characters show up in other movies) or give Shuri a series where she deals with being the BP (but didn't have pointless fighting with Namor) would have been way better.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don't say it because I think it makes me edgy.  I say it because it's true.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

The themes of holiday season depression over family loss in Lethal Weapon are much stronger than in Die Hard which should have worked over any holiday weekend.

The basic theme of Die Hard is a man trying to spend Christmas with his family and the obstacles he has to overcome in order to do so.  What's more Christmassy than that?  It's practically a Hallmark Christmas movie.  You know, except for the machine guns and C4.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The basic theme of Die Hard is a man trying to spend Christmas with his family and the obstacles he has to overcome in order to do so.  What's more Christmassy than that?  It's practically a Hallmark Christmas movie.  You know, except for the machine guns and C4.

Agree to disagree on the better one, what are unpopular opinions for ☺️

12 hours ago, Avabelle said:

You're right.

That honour goes to Die Hard 2.

(Which is oft forgotten as a Christmas movie - his wife is flying home on Christmas... typical shenanigans ensue.)

• Like 1

My UO is that I did not then and still do not now share the love for Die Hard that's so prevalent.  It was fine, but it's not my type of movie (I knew that going in, but I loved Bruce Willis on Moonlighting -- not enough to see it in the theatre, but I rented the tape once it came out).  I will watch parts of Die Hard With a Vengeance when it's on TV, because of Samuel L. Jackson.  But re-watch either of the first two?  No thanks.

• Like 2
On 11/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, Raja said:

Agree to disagree on the better one, what are unpopular opinions for ☺️

True, but in all honesty, I'd rate Lethal Weapon very high on my Christmas movie list, too.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:02 PM, Bastet said:

My UO is that I did not then and still do not now share the love for Die Hard that's so prevalent.  It was fine, but it's not my type of movie (I knew that going in, but I loved Bruce Willis on Moonlighting -- not enough to see it in the theatre, but I rented the tape once it came out).  I will watch parts of Die Hard With a Vengeance when it's on TV, because of Samuel L. Jackson.  But re-watch either of the first two?  No thanks.

BLASPHEMER!!!

Seriously, though, if it's not your type of movie, that's fine.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2023 at 11:05 PM, Constant Viewer said:

I think the Lion in Winter should be a Christmas movie. A dysfunctional family getting together for the holiday and trading glorious insults with each other.

I agree.  The insults!  I loved them!  

I've memorized a lot of them, so I'll recite them over the Christmas holiday. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I've memorized a lot of them, so I'll recite them over the Christmas holiday.

If anyone ignores you when you do, be sure to say "I'm vilifying you, for God's sake -- pay attention!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Is it an UO that the 2nd Spider-Verse movie is much better than the 1st one? We watched it last night and I was hooked in the first few minutes.  There was a good length of time during the first one where I was bored. I never was while watching this one. 

• Like 1