Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Yeah, going after someone's "acting" in a documentary doesn't make much sense, does it?.  In any event, I feel like the Razzies are just mean spirited.  No one sets out to do a bad job.  (I would assume.)  But also, I feel like they only go for the lowest hanging fruit like the highest profile bomb of the year.  It just feels like and excuse to pile on.  Giving criticism or having a negative opinion on something is one thing, but handing out actual "awards" for it seems like an extra level of petty.  I'm actually surprised in this day and age it's still a thing.     

Tom Green might have with Freddie Got Fingered.

He showed up proudly to receive all his Razzie awards lol 

NEW POST

Stand by Me I liked a lot as a kid and teenager but now as an adult it seems kind of lame.  idk why I feel differently about that film 

Edited by BlueSkies
the time between posts merged them when they are seperate points
  • Like 2

Han and Leia were canonically crap parents to Ben. There are explanations for this, not least of which are the constant wars. But he had Palpatine rummaging around in his brain and emotionally abusing him since he was a baby, also canon. They didn't seem to notice this, then shipped him off to Luke who tried to murder Ben in his sleep as a "solution" for being difficult/dangerous. It reads as a pretty blatant metaphor for an abused kid getting blamed for his abuse and further punished for it tbh. Which is also where I think a lot of the fandom for Kylo Ren originates tbh, people connecting to that dynamic, not necessarily glorifying him as a villain always. 

His crap childhood doesn't excuse the terrible choices he makes and that he becomes a mass murderer. That's squarely on him. But multiple things can be true at the same time. The aura of guilt that permeates Han and Leia when they are talking about Ben/Kylo also bears this out, no matter what they're trying to tell themselves. They knew they screwed up. Hence both of them laying down their lives for him in a last ditch effort to come through for him. 

It was one of the better arcs of the often confused sequels IMO. Also great acting by Driver and Ford, Fisher regrettably never got the chance to act with Driver. 

• Like 1

I have absolutely no interest in the new Magic Mike movie.  Of all the men I could be watching take their clothes off, Channing Tatum doesn't even make the top 100.  In fact, there hasn't been anyone in any of those movies I wanted to see strip.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I have absolutely no interest in the new Magic Mike movie.  Of all the men I could be watching take their clothes off, Channing Tatum doesn't even make the top 100.  In fact, there hasn't been anyone in any of those movies I wanted to see strip.

Not sure of everybody who has been in this franchise but Tatum does not make my top 1000 list of celebrities I would like to see strip.

• Like 2

I like Channing Tatum and see a certain sex appeal in his dancing*, but I Do. Not. Get. the appeal of the MM movies.  I watched the first two and was not only bored out of my mind, but experienced 2nd hand embarrassment for the actors involved.  The only scene I enjoyed is the popular one from the 2nd movie where the one guy was dancing in the convenience store in an effort to get the clerk to laugh. 

*I said in another thread, that the 30 seconds or so of Channing dancing the the village in The Lost City was sexier than anything I saw in both Magic Mike movies.

• Like 4
On 1/16/2023 at 7:30 AM, BlueSkies said:

Madonna Truth or Dare was pretty good especially for its time.   That was then more of a newer concept with that documentary/reality tv style.

Dare To Be Truthful was better. 

As I recall, Madonna's movie was quite self-indulgent and deserved mocking.

Edited by Gharlane

Inception 2010

I just watched it for the first time.  Leo DiCaprio isn't my favorite personality in the world but he does have talent and there's some films of his I liked.

This was just aaah though.  Nothing that blew me away.  I know it's listed as one of the best movies of the 2010s 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3
46 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Inception 2010

I just watched it for the first time.  Leo DiCaprio isn't my favorite personality in the world but he does have talent and there's some films of his I liked.

This was just aaah though.  Nothing that blew me away.  I know it's listed as on of the best movies of the 2010s 

It's a cool concept. Maybe I shouldn't have watched it while recovering from a bad flu, but I didn't like it at all. But I've seen other Nolan movies and not like them, I think I'm just not a Nolan fan outside of the Dark Knight. So I agree with you.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2023 at 5:09 PM, BlueSkies said:

Inception 2010

This was just aaah though.  Nothing that blew me away.  I know it's listed as one of the best movies of the 2010s 

I didn't get it on first try either.  I think I waited 5 years then saw it in the theatre again when they were showing it for some Leonardo festival.  THEN I was blown away.  I'm a hardcore Inception fangirl now.

Tenet being incomprehensible is in no way an unpopular opinion.  I absolutely love Tenet but let's get real! 😄

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/13/2023 at 8:47 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I thought The Banshees of Inisherin was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I find it jaw-dropping that it made so many "Best of 2022" lists. It's just two hours of a loathsome pissing match between Colin Farrell (whose character is a whiny asshole) and Brendan Gleeson (whose character is only slightly less of an asshole)! Kerry Condon is the only character with any common sense: "You're ALL boring!!!"

I did love the donkey and the Border Collie. They were my favorite characters. 

Having just watched this with my mom, neither one of us can fathom why it’s nominated for an Oscar. There’s no accounting for taste in the Academy…

• Like 1

I liked Thor Love and Thunder, warts and all. I’m getting pretty disillusioned with the MCU, but it was fun snd it was one of the few Phase 4 movies that didn’t piss me off (aside from them killing off Jane, though at least she got to go to Valhalla).

• Like 3

I do not care for the Flash movie, no matter how many cameos they desperately throw in. I would not have cared much even before the Ezra Miller nonsense, but now I want to see it even less. I would have preferred about 100 times more to see the Batgirl movie, even if it turned out to be of a B-movie quality.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I liked Thor Love and Thunder, warts and all. I’m getting pretty disillusioned with the MCU, but it was fun snd it was one of the few Phase 4 movies that didn’t piss me off (aside from them killing off Jane, though at least she got to go to Valhalla).

I did too.  The Goddess of Thunder storyline from the comics was probably my favorite Thor I’ve ever read, and in the end, I think they did justice to it, even with her dying.  It was Natalie Portman’s best turn by a country mile.  Even my husband, who usually requires some kind of bribe to go to MCU movies, laughed at the screaming goats.

• Like 4

I need to rewatch Love and Thunder.  I only saw it the one time in the theater and haven't thought much about it since.  I went back to read what I initially posted and it seemed to be on the positive side of center.  I wonder how I'd feel about it now.

This movie is only rated 2.8/10 on imdb but I thought it was actually kind of funny.

Pam Anderson and Denise Richards came across as more cute than bimboish in this film.  It's a good comedy to switch off the mind 

• Like 1
On 2/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, starri said:

I did too.  The Goddess of Thunder storyline from the comics was probably my favorite Thor I’ve ever read, and in the end, I think they did justice to it, even with her dying.  It was Natalie Portman’s best turn by a country mile.  Even my husband, who usually requires some kind of bribe to go to MCU movies, laughed at the screaming goats.

I thought it was a good movie although not as fun as Ragnarok. Jane coming back was cool, although it really bugged me that she was dying of cancer. It's that whole Reed Richards is Useless trope where if the MCU can figure out interstellar teleporting, time travel, anti gravity and magic energy generation it's stupid that they can't cure cancer.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 4
On 2/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought it was a good movie although not as fun as Ragnarok. Jane coming back was cool, although it really bugged me that she was dying of cancer. It's that whole Reed Richards is Useless trope where if the MCU can figure out interstellar teleporting, time travel, anti gravity and magic energy generation it's stupid that they can't cure cancer.

That's a fairly common trope in the actual comics. There isn't a cure for cancer, hell, we don't have a cure for the common cold despite all the other strides we've made and it gets very sketchy when they try to confront that in the books. You have situations where Wakanda had a cure and they wouldn't share it with outsiders which got really ugly for a bit. Or you have funny bits like the villain Sauron (not Lord of the Rings guy) who, when confronted by Spider-Man about his ability to cure cancer with his genetic studied said 'but I don't want to cure cancer! I want to turn people into dinosaurs!'

Jane's story was, I thought interesting because the cancer was considered, by the hammer, to be a part of her and the chemo was a poison that it eradicated every time she became Thor. Becoming Thor was killing her and she continued to do it because the world and the universe needed her. And that's why she was welcomed to Valhalla. She was a warrior and a hero. Now, in comics,

Spoiler

her story continued. She was indeed welcomed to Valhalla but she still had more work to do and so she was granted another chance. And I always got a kick out of the fact that the heroic double life really hit Jane hard both as Thor AND as Valkyrie which is what she became after Thor. (She was able to bring back the Valkyries, too. It's a whole thing.) Not only did she suffer while fighting cancer because of the double life but after death eradicated it and she was able to come back her professional life took serious hits because of what she was doing.

I thought they played it all well.

• Like 2

Many pages ago, I said that while I thought Black Panther was a good movie and an important movie, I didn't think it was good enough for a BP Oscar nomination.  I've seen all of the Marvel movies up to Endgame at least 3 times, some I've even seen several times, and imo, if any of them were going to be nominated, it should have been Captain America: Winter Soldier.

• Like 4

My UO is that I have tried to watch Winter Soldier 4 times, and I have fallen asleep 4 times.  One day I’ll make it to the end.  Maybe.  It’s why I call myself an Iron Man fan rather than an Avenger fan.

17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My UO is that I have tried to watch Winter Soldier 4 times, and I have fallen asleep 4 times.  One day I’ll make it to the end.  Maybe.  It’s why I call myself an Iron Man fan rather than an Avenger fan.

Iron Man is my favorite Avenger by far. Although I do not hold Winter Soldier in as high regard as most, I do like it and the Avengers (I am a sucker for an ensemble cast).

1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

For me it should have been Infinity War but I couldn't complain about a Winter Soldier nomination either.  

I can get behind this.

Edited by Enigma X

Just something that crossed my mind. I don't like bad movies. I know, some are apparently so bad they're good. Troll 2, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Room, etc. Never seen any of them. I'd rather watch actually good movies. Even then, it's not like I enjoy every officially good movie I see.

If you like them, I really am happy for you. But for my part, I don't see the appeal.

• Like 3

I think calling movies 'bad' simplifies things too much for me.  What I like never aligns with what the critics do - or at least, very rarely.  Somebody asked me what my favourite "Bad" movies are and my brain cannot even comprehend the question.  If I take my top 10 favourite movies, 4 of them are not critically acclaimed.  There is no objectively bad to me.  Just what I like versus not.

Something funny is that I think I know way more about movies than I do music - I see hundreds a year, from all decades, etc.  Yet my thoughts and feelings rarely align with movie critics yet often align with music critics.  Makes no sense.  I know nothing about music.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think calling movies 'bad' simplifies things too much for me.  What I like never aligns with what the critics do - or at least, very rarely.  Somebody asked me what my favourite "Bad" movies are and my brain cannot even comprehend the question.  If I take my top 10 favourite movies, 4 of them are not critically acclaimed.  There is no objectively bad to me.  Just what I like versus not.

To me, the difference is laughing at it, rather than with it, or being engaged by the drama or action or whatever. Of course, I've never actually tried to watch any of those types. And yes, I like some movies that don't have a great reputation. But I enjoy them sincerely, not ironically.

• Like 1

I love some movies that are considered "B" movies or movies that many people seem to dislike. Van Helsing is one of my favorite movies ever and I really liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Yes, that one.

But I watch these movies because I like them, not because I think they are "so bad it's good", or "guilty pleasure" or what ever else people call it. I wouldn't want to waste my time on hate-waching, I already waste too much of it on watching stuff that is considered classic or that everyone recommends and I just feel like I need to watch it to be able to properly talk about it, even if I suspect I won't like it.

• Like 8
On 3/18/2023 at 5:08 AM, Anduin said:

Just something that crossed my mind. I don't like bad movies. I know, some are apparently so bad they're good. Troll 2, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Room, etc. Never seen any of them. I'd rather watch actually good movies. Even then, it's not like I enjoy every officially good movie I see.

If you like them, I really am happy for you. But for my part, I don't see the appeal.

Bad/Good over simplifies the issue.  There needs to be something you find entertaining about a movie.  I really enjoy watching 3/4 of Starship Troopers because I find the concept fascinating but it is also kinda a bad movie.  I enjoy the space war and the weird acting and a particular character so I watch until the movie  kills her off.    

I also really like Drive Angry which is just a crazy violent movie but not a particularly well made one.  I just enjoy watching it.  Some of the over the top violence kind of appeals to me at times and I do enjoy the character arc of the female lead.  

I mean there are some really good movies out there I have found boring as hell.   I think is more about finding an aspect of a movie you enjoy and running with it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I love some movies that are considered "B" movies or movies that many people seem to dislike. Van Helsing is one of my favorite movies ever and I really liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Yes, that one.

But I watch these movies because I like them, not because I think they are "so bad it's good", or "guilty pleasure" or what ever else people call it. I wouldn't want to waste my time on hate-waching, I already waste too much of it on watching stuff that is considered classic or that everyone recommends and I just feel like I need to watch it to be able to properly talk about it, even if I suspect I won't like it.

Exactly.  I'm a huge fan of comedies and romantic comedies, which means I'm doomed to love movies that are not going to be critically acclaimed and not going to be nominated for awards, for the vast majority of the time.  And I don't feel guilt!  I also love science fiction and adult-ish thrillers - often ignored by awards bodies because they're so-called "genre pics".

I also find myself making fun of Oscar baity dramas as a rule, and then thinking, well maybe I shouldn't be that unfair.  LOL.  Because some might be good.  But it's so hard for me to stop.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5

The Sausage Party was very very unfunny 

The whole movie came across to me like some 12 year old learning about the birds and the bees and every vulgar word possible there is and then thinking he or she is so cool and funny by showing all this off to all his/her school mates 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 4

I think sometimes I'll check out a movie because I like the genre and hope I'll like it more than snobby critics and even judgier IMDb voters (unfortunately, there are certain genres that get downvoted out of bias or spite on that site.)

And sometimes I'll just stumble on a movie that surprises me in its badness. I don't like boring movies.  But I'm talking about movies that make such nonsensical decisions and it's fun to rant about those online. 

I don't usually watch "so bad it's good" movies that I know are truly terrible in advance, though.  For those, I just look on YouTube to see if a vlogger has made fun of them. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

With all the streaming services and cable, I watch a lot of movies over the fall and winter because we can't go outside. There's actually not a lot of 'bad' ones. For me, that means the plot just isn't logically driven. It doesn't matter what universe you're setting the movie in, as long as it makes sense within that context. 

I mean, I suppose you could say the plot is 'dumb' or it's not a subject that interesting. Or it's one note. There's a lot of them. I don't know if they're 'bad'. 

Even if the acting is 'bad' I can sit through it. Everything is made in the time it's made in. I still like them from a technical standpoint. How a scene would be written ror shot. 

Also casual nudity. I'll watch anything with naked people. Doesn't really have to be a reason. 

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think sometimes I'll check out a movie because I like the genre and hope I'll like it more than snobby critics and even judgier IMDb voters (unfortunately, there are certain genres that get downvoted out of bias or spite on that site.)

Last month, I picked horror movies for my Sunday afternoon selections. 

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

With all the streaming services and cable, I watch a lot of movies over the fall and winter because we can't go outside. There's actually not a lot of 'bad' ones. For me, that means the plot just isn't logically driven. It doesn't matter what universe you're setting the movie in, as long as it makes sense within that context. 

I worked at a theatre for a few years and actually it made me hate movies for a while, because I felt like 80% of output was just bad.  It took me a long time to come back to them. I think I just get better and better at picking out what I will like.

• Like 2

I enjoy watching "bad" movies, after a fashion.  And it's not because I'm some kind of masochist, I find trying to figure out the thought process that makes someone direct The Room to be utterly fascinating.

There is an absolutely terrible, zero-budget queer movie from about 2001 called Ben & Arthur that is so inept (Birdemic-level inept) it loops out of merely "bad" and becomes something else entirely.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, starri said:

I enjoy watching "bad" movies, after a fashion.  And it's not because I'm some kind of masochist, I find trying to figure out the thought process that makes someone direct The Room to be utterly fascinating.

There is an absolutely terrible, zero-budget queer movie from about 2001 called Ben & Arthur that is so inept (Birdemic-level inept) it loops out of merely "bad" and becomes something else entirely.

If you get something from these movies, that's fair enough. However, I don't, and find the whole thing sort of bemusing.

"Fateful Findings" is a movie that is extremely, extremely weird that is fun to watch.  I made it halfway through and it's pretty hilarious, I want to finish it one day.  The reason I wanted to try it was because half the people on Letterboxd rated it a 1/2 star and the other half rated it 5 stars and I've never seen that before. 

Some so called "bad" movies are just unwatchable to me though, like "Cats".  I had no idea it was going to be bad when I saw it, we saw it like opening week.  That was like being tortured, for me, but I don't begrudge anyone that enjoys it.  Have at it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.58.36 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Fateful Findings" is a movie that is extremely, extremely weird that is fun to watch.  I made it halfway through and it's pretty hilarious, I want to finish it one day.  The reason I wanted to try it was because half the people on Letterboxd rated it a 1/2 star and the other half rated it 5 stars and I've never seen that before. 

Some so called "bad" movies are just unwatchable to me though, like "Cats".  I had no idea it was going to be bad when I saw it, we saw it like opening week.  That was like being tortured, for me, but I don't begrudge anyone that enjoys it.  Have at it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.58.36 PM.png

I can't even laugh at Neil Breen, he's so embarrassing. 

I haven't yet seen What's Love Got to Do with It (1993), but even I agree that Angela Bassett should have won Best Actress over Holly Hunter for The Piano.

Don't get me wrong, Holly Hunter is a damn good actress, but I think The Piano is one of the most overrated, ponderous movies ever.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
26 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I haven't yet seen What's Love Got to Do with It (1993), but even I agree that Angela Bassett should have won Best Actress over Holly Hunter for The Piano.

Don't get me wrong, Holly Hunter is a damn good actress, but I think The Piano is one of the most overrated, ponderous movies ever.

Seriously. And if she had won back then, I wouldn’t be so pissed that she lost THIS year. Miss me with “it was just a Marvel movie” bullshit—Dark Knight and Joker were DC movies, and that didn’t keep Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix from winning!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously. And if she had won back then, I wouldn’t be so pissed that she lost THIS year. Miss me with “it was just a Marvel movie” bullshit—Dark Knight and Joker were DC movies, and that didn’t keep Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix from winning!

Wait a minute, I got it... Angela Bassett just needs to PLAY THE JOKER!brilliant merle oberon GIF

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
On 3/18/2023 at 5:08 AM, Anduin said:

My exception to this is if they were featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.  But it's the humor of the show I enjoyed, not the badness of the movies, per se.

• Like 4
On 3/19/2023 at 4:17 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Even if the acting is 'bad' I can sit through it.

Bad acting tends to be a "no" for me.  I may give a nonsensical movie a chance if I'm bored, but if the acting is unconvincing, I usually turn it off.  Life's too short and there are too many choices out there.

Obviously I do make an exception if there's someone in it whom I particularly like, but usually only as a last resort once I've seen everything else they've done.  I'm currently struggling with whether or not to watch a film which has an actor who's become something of a recent obsession, but the plot descriptions make it sound so bleak and unpleasant that I'm not sure I can stomach it.  Although the acting is supposed to be good.

On 3/19/2023 at 4:17 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Also casual nudity. I'll watch anything with naked people. Doesn't really have to be a reason. 

Although they do have to be at least moderately attractive for me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/20/2023 at 3:53 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Miss me with “it was just a Marvel movie” bullshit—Dark Knight and Joker were DC movies, and that didn’t keep Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix from winning!

Here's my unpopular opinion about those performances: neither actor should've won an Oscar, not for those movies anyway.

• Like 5

I can't explain why I like some bad movies and not others.  Maybe it's the acting like @proserpina65 said.   For ex., Real Genius is objectively a bad movie, but I love it.  Maybe it's a combination of good comic timing by Val Kilmer and some funny one liners?  I'm not sure. 

• Like 3
On 3/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

The best thing about the movie for me was seeing Harvey Keitel's naked ass. 😊