Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On 3/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, Shannon L. said:

I can't explain why I like some bad movies and not others.  Maybe it's the acting like @proserpina65 said.   For ex., Real Genius is objectively a bad movie, but I love it.  Maybe it's a combination of good comic timing by Val Kilmer and some funny one liners?  I'm not sure. 

"Kent? This is God."

• Like 2
On 3/20/2023 at 2:24 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Don't get me wrong, Holly Hunter is a damn good actress, but I think The Piano is one of the most overrated, ponderous movies ever.

Not to mention that it made no sense that the authorities wouldn't have sent her character's young daughter to live with other relatives and/or an orphan asylum (as they were termed) instead of having her accompany her mute mother to her mail-order groom's place all the way from Scotland to New Zealand with no speaking adult accompanying them. And, even had they somehow sprung for having had the piano shipped ALL the way there, why wouldn't the sailors have just carried it to her new husband's farmhouse instead just dumping it on the beach? I mean, if they had disliked transporting that much, they could have dumped it when they passed the English Channel and pocketing the fees instead of lugging it across two oceans for many months.

Yeah, I know that the above would have TOTALLY derailed the entire plot but still. . .

• Like 2

Son in Law had the makings of a decent comedy, (as opposed to an absurd, almost slapstick comedy), even with most of the same cast.  I like Crawl's sincere moments--yes, as played by Paulie Shore-- and had they dialed back the silliness and added a few more of those sincere moments, it would have worked.  It would never have been on a Best Rom-Com list, but there's enough goodness in it that it may have gotten much better reviews.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Son in Law had the makings of a decent comedy, (as opposed to an absurd, almost slapstick comedy), even with most of the same cast.  I like Crawl's sincere moments--yes, as played by Paulie Shore-- and had they dialed back the silliness and added a few more of those sincere moments, it would have worked.  It would never have been on a Best Rom-Com list, but there's enough goodness in it that it may have gotten much better reviews.

"Uh, Crap-" "CRAWL."

"We didn't bone!" "They didn't bone!"

It really is a silly, but albeit genuinely funny movie.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For an actual unpopular opinion, I thought Boyhood was overrated with just a boring gimmick of waiting years for the actors to age.

I hardly ever complain about the length of films (hell, I prefer the extended version of Dances With Wolves to the theatrical release [not that I love either one, but I like things about it, especially many of the small moments that got cut for time]), but that movie felt like it was five or six hours long. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

That's a really good movie. Crawl is a really good guy.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Yeah I really liked how the two of them bonded over her feeling homesick and intimidated by college life in LA.

• Like 5

Small voice:  I was bored through most of Dungeons and Dragons

I went because the trailer was amusing and I heard that you didn't have to be a D&D player to enjoy it, but, after reading the post by @Chyromaniac in the movie's thread, I think that would have helped me a lot.  I didn't think it was bad and the make up, set and costume design, and most of the special effects were good, but I just couldn't get into it.  The graveyard was the best part and the funniest part of that scene was in one of the trailers. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I went because the trailer was amusing and I heard that you didn't have to be a D&D player to enjoy it, but, after reading the post by @Chyromaniac in the movie's thread, I think that would have helped me a lot.  I didn't think it was bad and the make up, set and costume design, and most of the special effects were good, but I just couldn't get into it.  The graveyard was the best part and the funniest part of that scene was in one of the trailers. 

As much as I love fantasy, I found the trailers too jokey. It's said that a lot of campaigns start off like LOTR but end up like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I prefer the LOTR end of the scale. If there's a more serious followup, I'll be there.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:01 PM, Shannon L. said:

To be fair, I was just trying to point out a few of the moments I felt were inspired by playing the game- I honestly don’t think it’s necessary to know any of that stuff to follow the film, although I’ll admit it certainly increased my enjoyment of it.  Regardless I’m sorry the film didn’t work for you.

Since you mentioned the trailer, I’m curious to know if you felt misled by it in any way?  If so, I would agree that the movie’s actual premise is a lot different than what was presented in the ads.  Ultimately it still worked for me, but I could see where it might be an issue if you go in expecting

Spoiler

Chris Pine and friends fighting to stop the apocalypse, when that’s really just the last 15 minutes- and the other 2 hours are about fixing his family.

• Like 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Since you mentioned the trailer, I’m curious to know if you felt misled by it in any way?  If so, I would agree that the movie’s actual premise is a lot different than what was presented in the ads.  Ultimately it still worked for me, but I could see where it might be an issue if you go in expecting

I think that's the issue. The trailer talked about "facing the greatest evil ever known" and "she executed my people" and "she raised an army of the dead" and instead we got

Spoiler

them searching for people and things throughout most of the movie

I just watched 3 different trailers for it and, imo, all the best parts were in them.  

Also, while I understand why each actor was cast for the role and think that they did well, there was something about them working together that felt off. I'm sorry I can't really explain what it is, though, that made me feel that way.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 1

Maybe I don’t get the hype about Harry Styles, but I think it’s ridiculous so many people think he’d make a better Eric in the new Little Mermaid movie. The guy they cast is perfectly fine to me. Well, so far, because the actual movie isn’t out yet, obviously.

And yes, I think the remakes are unnecessary, but people are carrying on like Disney is somehow erasing the original cartoons from existence. You’re more than free to watch them on Disney+ or on Blu-Ray/DVD/ whatever.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And yes, I think the remakes are unnecessary, but people are carrying on like Disney is somehow erasing the original cartoons from existence. You’re more than free to watch them on Disney+ or on Blu-Ray/DVD/ whatever.

Good lord, seriously, this. Last I checked, nobody's being forced to watch these remakes, and like you said, the originals aren't going anywhere. If somebody doesn't want to watch a remake, fine. Then just don't watch it and move on. No need to make a big production out of how you (general "you") don't want to do so. 

Truly, I do not get why this is such a difficult thing for some people to do. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 10
On 4/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, Annber03 said:

the originals aren't going anywhere.

Disney used to make a big deal of putting their films "back in the vault" for periods of time sometimes lasting years.  Don't know if they bother doing that anymore, what with streaming and all.  But still . . . if there's money to be made, Disney will release them again.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe I don’t get the hype about Harry Styles, but I think it’s ridiculous so many people think he’d make a better Eric in the new Little Mermaid movie.

He was surprisingly good in Dunkirk, which is the only movie or tv show I've seen him in, I think.  But yeah, I don't get why this is a thing.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He was surprisingly good in Dunkirk

I never could keep track of who was who in Dunkirk -- they were all about the same height, with the same hair, and the same uniform. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I never could keep track of who was who in Dunkirk -- they were all about the same height, with the same hair, and the same uniform. 

Neither could I. I wished they had names on their uniforms.

• Like 4

Not sure how unpopular this is but I think Ben Affleck is underrated as an actor.  He's fine as a leading man but his wheelhouse seems to be "supporting character who you're not supposed to take too seriously" like in The Last Duel and Air.    

• Like 10
11 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Not sure how unpopular this is but I think Ben Affleck is underrated as an actor.  He's fine as a leading man but his wheelhouse seems to be "supporting character who you're not supposed to take too seriously" like in The Last Duel and Air.    

Not really a fan but he was very good in The Accountant 

• Like 3
On 4/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, kiddo82 said:

He was surprisingly excellent as Ned Alleyn in Shakespeare In Love and as an enraged fallen angel in Dogma.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He was surprisingly excellent as Ned Alleyn in Shakespeare In Love and as an enraged fallen angel in Dogma.

In the scheme of Kevin Smith movies, this one is sorely underrated, IMO. And I agree, Affleck is great in it. I'll take it even further - I really like Affleck as Bruce Wayne.

• Like 5

Back when Matt Damon was considered the good looking one, (I remember Robin Williams talking about the girls screaming "Matt!" whenever he appeared near a crowd), I always thought Ben was better looking.  And, as they aged, Ben just got more handsome, imo.  Matt, not so much.  I like them both, I just felt bad that Ben, at least for a while, was always in Matt's shadow.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Back when Matt Damon was considered the good looking one, (I remember Robin Williams talking about the girls screaming "Matt!" whenever he appeared near a crowd), I always thought Ben was better looking.  And, as they aged, Ben just got more handsome, imo.

Good gods, yes.  They both have issues - Damon more troubling to me than Affleck at least from my limited exposure, with all the mansplaining - but, based purely on the physical, if I was asked to choose one to fuck it would be Affleck ten times before I'd even given Damon a whirl.

• Like 5
  • Wink 2

Ben Affleck was great in The Tender Bar. I've always liked him, even in Daredevil which I'm on record somewhere in this thread as liking. What? I find it entertaining, lol. I need to watch more of his movies, a quick look tells me I've missed a bunch of them. 

• Like 4

I kind of love that Art Carney won Best Actor over Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson, mainly because I find the latter two utterly overrated. 

For the record, Harry and Tonto is merely ok, but Carney is very good in it, as is the cat. 

• Like 4
On 4/17/2023 at 5:31 PM, Shannon L. said:

Back when Matt Damon was considered the good looking one, (I remember Robin Williams talking about the girls screaming "Matt!" whenever he appeared near a crowd), I always thought Ben was better looking.  And, as they aged, Ben just got more handsome, imo.  Matt, not so much.  I like them both, I just felt bad that Ben, at least for a while, was always in Matt's shadow.

I'd rather scream for Robin Williams.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I kind of love that Art Carney won Best Actor over Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson, mainly because I find the latter two utterly overrated. 

I don't think Jack Nicholson has played anyone but Jack Nicholson in decades.

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I know what you mean; since his last movie appearance was in 2010, you may be right in more ways than one.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I feel the same way about Tom Hanks. I still love him but I can't remember the last movie I watched where it felt like I was watching him play a character instead of Tom Hanks. It's too bad he created some really memorable characters.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I feel the same way about Tom Hanks. I still love him but I can't remember the last movie I watched where it felt like I was watching him play a character instead of Tom Hanks. It's too bad he created some really memorable characters.

This is exactly the reason that his performance in The Road to Perdition stood out for me, because it didn't feel like just another Tom Hanks performance.  Maybe he should play villains/morally conflicted characters more often.

• Like 9
On 4/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, proserpina65 said:

This is exactly the reason that his performance in The Road to Perdition stood out for me, because it didn't feel like just another Tom Hanks performance.  Maybe he should play villains/morally conflicted characters more often.

I was just going to say the same thing, say what you will about Tom Hanks, Road to Perdition was a great performance. I don't think he's ever portrayed a character quite like that one.

• Like 5

I find I'm in two minds about the upcoming Indiana Jones movie. Yeah, I like the other ones, though not actually love them. But my tolerance for Nazis has gone way down in recent years. Sure they'll all die in the end, but I don't want to have to watch them parade around and get the minor victories before that. Just show me a supercut of them dying in amusingly horrible ways, you know?

For that matter, anything along the lines of Atlantis/ancient aliens. Those two fields need to go away, they are intensely problematic. People actually believe that nonsense, and we don't want to give them more fuel.

And then there's money. I'm not exactly rolling in it right now, and I have some expenses coming up this year. All in all, unless I hear it's actually really good, it's looking like a miss.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jah1986 said:

I was just going to say the same thing, say what you will about Tom Hanks, Road to Perdition was a great performance. I don't think he's ever portrayed a character quite like that one.

I agree with you and @proserpina65 , it’s one of my favorite performances of his. 

• Like 1
On 4/18/2023 at 8:28 PM, Crashcourse said:

I'll have Brad Pitt on buttered toast.

My unpopular opinion is that Brad Pitt has never done anything for me.  Even back during his Thelma & Louise "hot" debut, I have felt him to be pretty bland.

And after the plane stuff, heck no.

• Like 11
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My unpopular opinion is that Brad Pitt has never done anything for me.  Even back during his Thelma & Louise "hot" debut, I have felt him to be pretty bland.

That's fine, you've got your opinion and I've got mine.  

On 4/21/2023 at 9:57 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't care in the least about the plane stuff.  I've just found Brad Pitt meh ever since I first saw him.

• Like 3
On 4/9/2023 at 9:18 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe I don’t get the hype about Harry Styles, but I think it’s ridiculous so many people think he’d make a better Eric in the new Little Mermaid movie. The guy they cast is perfectly fine to me. Well, so far, because the actual movie isn’t out yet, obviously.

This is not the freshest of unpopular opinions, but I just don't care about The Little Mermaid – original from 1989, or the upcoming live action version. Yes, partly because it's disturbing about the notion of willing to give up your voice (and I know others have pointed out the themes of the movie are actually more complex), partly because I don't enjoy Ariel and Eric. 

Maybe a riskier unpopular opinion: I loved the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast – the new songs by Menken and Tim Rice were lovely, worthy additions and the extra context of the hand-waved moments in the animated version was good storytelling through live action. Sure, there were better options than Emma Watson, but she was not a fatal choice. 

Edited by pancake bacon
formatting
  • Like 7
14 hours ago, pancake bacon said:

Maybe a riskier unpopular opinion: I loved the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast

I’ve actually liked or loved most of their remakes.  No, they’re completely unnecessary and didn’t improve on the originals, but they’re all well-made.  And Aladdin is almost as good as its counterpart.  And I say that as someone who was not a huge fan of Will Smith, even before the Slap.

• Like 6
On 4/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, kiddo82 said:

I prefer him over Damon as an actor.  Matt Damon has always been hugely overrated to me, especially during the "Bourne" film run. 

On 4/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, Shannon L. said:

Learned something new today! Had no idea Matt Damon was considered the good looking one of the two in their early days. But agree that Ben has aged especially well, given his addiction struggles.  

• Like 5

Usually, Matt Damon is considered the more "gravitas" actor out of the two, and for me this does bear out in roles like The Talented Mr Ripley (Damon earned his eternal pancake bacon pass with this performance; I think it's one of the best acting ever put to screen) and The Martian.

Ben Affleck? His best work is his snarky audio commentary on Armageddon, especially all the shade for Michael Bay – so entertaining! 

• Like 4
On 4/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, pancake bacon said:

This is not the freshest of unpopular opinions, but I just don't care about The Little Mermaid – original from 1989, or the upcoming live action version. Yes, partly because it's disturbing about the notion of willing to give up your voice (and I know others have pointed out the themes of the movie are actually more complex), partly because I don't enjoy Ariel and Eric. 

I'll go further than that: I hate the crap Disney-fication of Little Mermaid.  It completely ruins Hans Christian Andersen's tale for the sake of stupid singing fish.

• Like 2